[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Array System for Stats?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: steampunk.jpg (255KB, 1280x600px) Image search: [Google]
steampunk.jpg
255KB, 1280x600px
So I'm working on a homebrew system to use with some mates, and I'm under no illusions that I'm the next Gary Gygax and that my ideas are wonderful or anything like that, I was just hoping to get some feedback on my system for determining initial stats - and advice if anyone is offering it.

So the system is a Roll-under system using a D100 (Which came out unintentionally more similar to Dark Heresy than I meant - I didn't realise the specifics of DH until I'd already decided on this), and uses an array system to determine base stats.

There are six abilities (Strength, Skill, Wits, Intellect, Social, Magic), that determine the success rate of skills using them, and the idea is that stats at least start quite low so that players need to use environmental factors to their advantage to get bonuses to help their skills succeed (such as for taking a shot at an enemy, to have a much of a chance of hitting, they'd need to ideally flank the enemy's cover and take an action to aim), and so the array is as follows:

40, 40, 35, 35, 30, 30 for a total of 210 points, to be assigned to whichever stats the player wishes (with modifications then made with a D4 to give some variation). Then, due to the low starting abilities, players get ability points each level (I'm thinking 2 that can't be spent on the same ability without a feat, but it could possibly be 3).

But that had me thinking that that will result in players just choosing one or two abilities to boost the hell out of and ignore the rest, resulting in statlines like 76, 30, 30, 35, 80, 35, which just looks kinda imbalanced to me. Do you think that's a problem? Seeing as I'd rather that than give every class MAD, and I'm not sure if that would be really a bad thing or not. Anyway, please let me know what you think

Pic tangentially related - setting is vaguely steampunk
>>
>>55356253

Bumping.

d100 systems are fairly common.

The thing you have to consider is that there'll be times when players won't be able to get environmental bonuses and will have to roll - will the PCs then be stuck spending 5-10 minutes trying to open a door or something fairly menial?
>>
>>55356253
The way to prevent stat getting too skewed has nothing to do with how many points you give them, it's about how useful the stats are. Just make sure to distribute bonuses and skill amoung the stats in such a way that gimping a stat will leave them vulnerable. Also you starting array sounds frustrating I'd go something like 60 55 50 50 40 35, so they're able to be better than average in some fashion, average in another and below average at in some way. >>55359510
You get around that by not forcing rolls for menial tasks, you should only roll if it will alter the flow of the story, not dam it.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.