[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 382
Thread images: 25

D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>Previous thread:
>>55345317

Those with Tomb of Annihilation, how far along are you? Do you plan on running it soon? What do you like and dislike?
>>
>>55350687
I really like the Eladrin-Gith UA, is it just me?
>>
Planning on making an Oath of Ancients Paladin.

What are good multiclass options? Both mechanically interesting and lore interesting would be appreciated.
>>
What would IT look like in 5e?
>>
>>55350702
Yes, anon, exclusively you. Nobody else in the entire world likes it.

im just being a dick, i like it
>>
>>55350702
Martial Prodigy.
You are proficient with light and medium armor.
Your people are ever ready for war.
>martial prodigy
>no weapon proficiencies
Why?
>>
>>55350778
Gith tend to punch.
>>
File: thorns sleeping beauty.png (304KB, 590x369px) Image search: [Google]
thorns sleeping beauty.png
304KB, 590x369px
>>55350704

Do you really feel that multiclassing is necessary? Paladin is a powerful and versatile class.

Do you have a character concept that you can't do with straight paladin?
>>
File: 404.gif (1MB, 664x550px) Image search: [Google]
404.gif
1MB, 664x550px
>>55350687
>Those with Tomb of Annihilation, how far along are you?
I'm currently reading through the Omu stuff. So, Chapter 3?

>Do you plan on running it soon?
I want to, but I have to finish a homebrew campaign first.

>What do you like and dislike?
The navigation and traveling system seems fun. Getting lost in the jungle seems like a great time as a DM and an even greater time as a PC. The enemy variety and types are great, the encounters are great, and the dungeons are pretty well fleshed out and diverse. The NPCs and subplots are also really well made. Its probably the 2nd best adventure on that side of the spectrum next to CoS.

As for negatives? The land is massive and there are somethings on the outskirts that may never get seen as they are so tertiary and out of the way, but still interesting in their own right. I feel a lot of people wont get to experience that. Also the Death Curse may sour some players but that is more of a taste thing than anything else. I enjoy that.
>>
File: 1504711950610.gif (1MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1504711950610.gif
1MB, 250x250px
>>55350687
I just failed to stop a war from starting, lads. Any ideas that could help a 9th level wizard do as much damage to an army of a few thousand as possible before they meet his army?
>>
>>55350850
Contract AIDS (easy to do, you're a wizard so you're already a faggot) and then fuck the other army.
>>
>>55350868
(thyself)
>>
>>55350822
Just want to see what's out there that fits in case it makes sense to consider that from the beginning of the character concept.
>>
Anyone have the Tomb of Annihilation leaks?
>>
>>55350889
tfw physical copy but no scanner
>>
>>55350889
https://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
>>55350882
Sorc or bard are both good for MC, bard is more interesting for an Ancients flavor IMO. You can always just take the entertainer background instead though.
>>
File: rabbit 1.jpg (145KB, 634x924px) Image search: [Google]
rabbit 1.jpg
145KB, 634x924px
>>55350882

Well, the obvious pairing with Oath of the Ancients is Fey-pact Warlock. It works thematically, and they both use Charisma.

But it's not really necessary. You'd wind up with better ranged options, but at the cost of delaying paladin class stuff (all of which is really good.) If you want a ranged paladin, it's probably better just to make a Dex pally with a rapier and a longbow.
>>
>>55350909
Thanks.
>>
What the nibnog is a Gith?
>>
Running Curse of Strahd for a mixed party. Some veterans, some newer players. Starting at level 3 because we don't feel like doing Death House.

>Warforged Vengeance Paladin
>Human Swashbuckler Rogue
>Half-Orc Champion Fighter
>High Elf Moon Druid (new player)
>High Elf Wizard (new player)

I imagine a party composition like this will fare well? Gonna be strange having the new players be the casters and the martials the more experienced ones.
>>
>>55350687
>Those with Tomb of Annihilation, how far along are you? Do you plan on running it soon? What do you like and dislike?
Read through it all. Group is still in the middle of another campaign, but I'll be running it for them in the next month or two.

I like pretty much everything in it. Port is neat, there's a lot of Chult and its jungles that are fleshed out, good amount of interesting NPCs and hooks, a lot of very interesting puzzles/traps. Main/final dungeon can be pretty vicious, especially due to the death curse; it'll definitely cause some frustration with players, but it's interesting and challenging.
>>
>>55350702
I like it too
>>
>>55350717

A plot device.
>>
>>55351022
But it can be defeated.
>>
>>55350704
Bard, Sorcerer, and Warlock. Archfey Warlock fits like a glove fluff wise. A Bard is really interesting too.
>>
>>55351007
>>55350823
The hype for ToA is real?
>>
>>55351034
A plot device that can be defeated
>>
>>55351050
Without shilling too hard, yeah, its really good. Just off of reading without playtesting (which inevitably will change this), I feel its below CoS but above SKT in terms of quality.

there's a fucking church of Sune that requires charisma checks and if you fail them,
they pity you and start consoling you because you are ugly and super lame
>>
>>55350994
Its a Githzari or a Githyanki
Its a race that is now playable since added in this UA
>>
>>55351082
Topkek.
>>
File: K33PTe_TQAqCAokjd-1AUg[1].png (133KB, 382x230px) Image search: [Google]
K33PTe_TQAqCAokjd-1AUg[1].png
133KB, 382x230px
>>55350717
Like this?
>>
>>55350717
Pennywise/spider: not actually that tough to a decent level party, if you can get the eggs
Dreadlights: fuck you, you die.
>>
>>55350868
>t. Sorceror
>>
>>55351131
>Dreadlights; you die
What about Turtle patron warlocks?
>>
>>55351131
There are gonna be some WIS saves, that's for sure.

That said, once anyone spend any amount of time in the Underdark, Pennyspider is gonna lose some spookiness.
>>
>>55351184
>Wis saves
You're literally being stared down by a UNIVERSE.
>>
>>55351146
>infected bloodline sorcerer
>>
>>55350850
Destroy the infrastructure, especially bridges. Next burn down all their wagons, then their granaries.
>>
>>55347799
I've been thinking about it, but I'm more worried about figuring out class/race shit for the different characters first.
>>
>>55351515
Everyone is a warforged, duh
>>
I've got a person in my campaign from one of the players' backstories. She's supposed to be dead but has reappeared for various reasons.

I've now hinted that she's not what she seems to be, and that she's actually powerful and working against him.

What are my options apart from doppelganger (and maybe Rakshasa) for what she could be? It's only a sidequest but I want to make it interesting.
>>
>If a two-handed weapon has a d12 damage die, you may choose to use 2d6 instead, and vice versa.

Does this break anything? (besides the poor d12)
>>
>>55351548
I meant more with the elemental stuff. Everyone has resistance to their own damage type (except for toa of sonics, because their lives suck in-lore).
The fact that most PC races (toa, turaga, skakdi) would have some kind of elemental powers just makes it even more difficult to figure out class.
I was thinking about doing a system from scratch where "class" is basically your fighting style and weapon types that you use, and you get more powerful spell-type abilities based on your element as you level. Plus mask/racial powers triggered by bonus actions.
But hell, I'm not a system writer.
>>
For people who run published adventures, do you hand select the encounters from the random encounters tables that you want to use?

I feel like things might flow better if so.
>>
>>55351600
Sometimes. Even if I do I roll dice first.
>>
>>55351570
there is no reason you'd want to use a d12 over 2d6s, right? I can't think of a single reason. 2d6 is simply better.
>>
What's the bes way to tie combat to cha? Swasbuckler 3 for intiative, hexbladed if UA i guess, or tomelock shillelagh, paladin for smites and two attacks?
>>
>>55351570
Nothing breaks. there's some differences with certain abilities between the d12 and 2d6 to do with extra damage dice and re-rolls; if you can roll an "extra damage die" you get only get one extra d6 with a greatsword, but if you get to reroll 1s and 2s, the 2d6 is way better. It won't break anything balance wise, just make the weapons a little less unique (not that they really were to begin with).
>>
>>55351193

Sounds like they're outnumbered, then.

Wis saves with disadvantage.
>>
I have come up with a system for rolling dick size. I swear on my life that I'm being serious and not shitposting.

gnomes, goblin, halflings, elves: 1d4 (average 2)

humans, dwarves, half-elf, tiefling, aasimar, genasi: 2d4+1 (average 6)

half-orcs, dragonborn: 3d4+2 (average 9.5)

orcs, goliaths, firbolg: 4d4+3 (average 13)

Tried to tie it to the generally accepted size of the creatures. Gnomes/gobbos/halflings are small, elves are feminine and tiny. Most medium-sized PC races (I know they're all technically medium) average on the larger size of human b/c this is fantasy. Dragonborn and half-orcs I would expect to be a bit bigger, and goliath/firbolg/orc all have powerful build, and so are the largest PC races.
There are plenty that I didn't include, so the formula is: rate creature size 1-4. That number=X. Xd6+(X-1). Nice normal distribution (unless you're an elf), and not affected by stats that change over time, like CON.
>>
>>55351570
The difference seems negligible. What do you hope to accomplish by such ruling?

Frankly, i much more prefer 1d12 because then i don't need to do the addition. Adding strength mod is bothersome enough.
>>
>>55350994
Githzerai and githiyanki. Both appear a lot in Planescape Torment and Neverwinter Nights 2
>>
>>55351708
Cool, now roll for analyzing circumference
>>
>>55351733
Anal* phoneposting is hard
>>
>>55351570
Average damage is marginally higher with 2d6 (although it's all rounded up, it's 7 vs 6.5 - and with a critical, it's 14 vs 13) and there are some advantages, but nothing ruinous.
>>
>>55350850
Fly overhead and snipe the leaders. You can sink nearly any ship with a Passwall spell if you're sneaky. Animate Objects can send a giant flying boulder at them, or an instant group of ten tiny assassins. Summon an elemental to torch supply lines/caravans. Use Sending to relay messages for your own army far more effectively than mundane communication. Use illusions to confuse the enemy. If you're feeling particularly noble, Polymorph into a T-Rex and eat some faces (preferably with improved AC).

Just get creative with it.
>>
>>55350687

>Those with Tomb of Annihilation, how far along are you? Do you plan on running it soon? What do you like and dislike?

Oh boy it's everything i wanted and more...
A fucking atropal last boss dude, i wanted to put my PC against an atropal for years

My only complaint is that a lot of stuff will probably never be seen by the players, im also worried about the PC arriving too early to Omu
>>
>>55351565
Wight, or some GOO using her as a puppet
>>
My first toa session is in two hours, name the dinosaurs that my party will be racing /tg/
>>
>>55351837
Chicken legs
>>
Sorry to ask, but is there an Tomb of Annhilation pdf already? Been out of the loop for a while.
>>
If anyone has a scan, I'd like one pretty bad. Haven't been able to pick up the book becasue of the hurricane passing through.
>>
>>55351837
Tri-tip, the triceratops.
>>
>>55351908
>>55351926

The book is out yet ? I thought it was only available on Roll20, Beyond, and Fantasy grounds ? I picked up my version on Roll20.

I think the physical copy isn't out until the 19th.
But im pretty sure people could have snatched it somehow.
>>
>>55351908
No.

https://imgur.com/a/iglMj
>>
>>55351639
Half-Orc crits would be 3d12 (avg 19.5) vs 5d6 (avg 17.5)
Similarly for a barbarian with brutal critical
>>
>>55351954
It came out Friday for LGS'. My store closed for the storm so I couldn't get it.
>>
>>55351954
Already out. Came out same day as the digital versions to local game shops. It releases fully to bigger shops (Amazon and such) on the 19th.
>>
I remember there was an anon scanning ToA, does he have an ETA?
>>
>>55351976
>>55351988

Oh okay didn't know, i don't live in the US so i thought it was the 19 for every LGS.
Well i bought the Roll20 version anyway, i'm too much of a lazy piece of shit to work with paper hexes map again.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170908-155821.png (999KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170908-155821.png
999KB, 1080x1920px
>>55351955
Gee are my shitty snaps really all you got?

You know at least the backgrounds are already on 5etools right?
>>
>>55350687
Regarding ToA:

Am i the only one who's reaaally bothered by the start of the campaign ? The whole "meet that dying women, she teleports you to Nyanzaru" shit ?
Im working a way to change that, i think i'll completely remove Syndra from the campaign and find way to hook players differently and make them arrive by boats, counting the boating days in the 20 days lapse after the start of the Death curse.
>>
>>55352174
What's wrong with it? All you need is a way to Chult. How you get there doesn't matter as much.
>>
>>55351708
Body size doesn't necessarily indicate dick size, gorillas average 1.5" so Half Orcs might be small. Dragonborn probably have a cloaca.
>>
>>55352224
It feels too fast, kinda unnatural, "hey do you want to help me ?" "O..okay" "Here we go, teleportation !" and bam, players are in Chult.

But maybe im too much of an autist and players do not care that much.
>>
>>55352305
You can always use DDAL07-01 to help flesh out the intro.
>>
>>55351600
Yeah I don't roll, I just choose the encounter that sounds most interesting.
>>
>>55350717
I like to imagine IT being a fat, balding wizard sitting in the cellar behind some wine barrels, starring into a crystal ball, and he gets massively upset anytime someone interrupts him with a problem "THAT simple?!" that they could have "done it on your own if you weren't such a mouthbreather GUFFAW"

His name is Carl MacFearson, and his fighter father is deeply, deeply disappointed in him.
>>
How far, is too far when multiclassing?
I realize theorycrafting relies on either an end goal level, or just picking up features for a scaling build.
So what level features don't you want to miss out on for which level breaks? If that makes sens
>>
>>55352253
In humans and presumably other humanoids, dick size is mostly a thing relevant to what kind of folks ruled the area.
Noble women liked treating their big dicked lads well, and all.

So orcs would probably depend if they're the more shamanistic and matriarchal type, or the more brute force and patriarchal type on size. Though by that logic elves, traditionally ruled by a Queen, would probably be on the upper end of the spectrum, and drow boys would be massive.
>>
Emailed WOTC to say that D&D Beyond is shit and that their aggressive takedowns towards content creators is anti-community and I won't be buying any more products

Think I'll get a response?
>>
>>55352377
No.
>>
>>55350850
Show your DM a bunch of unsolved mystery videos of people disappearing or randomly combusting, then subtly drop the idea of how mysterious it would be if the entire chain of command were to just vanish with no hint of mystical play at hand. Then hope your DM says you wake up and the enemy leaders have completely vanished with no trace. Like my DM did, except without us feeding him the idea.
>>
>>55352375
Orcs as an extreme patriarchy have tiny dicks. Drow girly boys are slinging 16 inch monsters.
>>
>>55352355
Any class - level 1,2, or 3 for archetype features (depending on when the class gets them).
Fighter - level 2 for Action Surge, or EK7 for War Magic

Rogue - level 2 for Cunning Action

Paladin - level 2 for smiting, 6 for auras, or 7 for Ancients spell resistance
>>
>55352232
Stunning Strike and Cutting Words are not magical dipshit
>>
>>55352447
Fuck me I meant >>55352232
>>
>>55352305
Instead of having the players just be invited over, you could say that in addition to the death curse kicking in, that adventurers have been going missing (not killed from the death curse, actually missing). It leads to a small search that shows that all the adventurers had been hired for a job, and that the person hiring ends up being Syndra who needs help. It's really just a minor twist, but it could help build some small suspense and gives them a better idea on just how previous efforts to stop the curse have failed.
>>
>>55352471
Dipshit
>>
>be me
>be writing a playable fey race with Seelie and Unseelie races because the Eladrin didn't satisfy me
>wake up to see the new Unearthed Arcana
>it's better than the cobbled together shit I was writing

FUCK
>>
>>55352530
I'm not wrong though cunt
>>
>>55352533
>UA Eladrin was better than what you were making
God damn anon, don't be so hard on yourself
>>
>>55352447
>>55352471
Like I said in the other thread, Monk abilities and Bard abilities are magical as canon per the book. Don't just repeat the shit you said without reading what I said first.
>>
>>55352519
Well that's actually a pretty good idea, kinda forces them to accept the reality that "yeah that campaign may kill you like these missing adventurers".
I like it.
>>
>>55350687
Where do i find people to play with online!?
>>
>>55352560
Game finder threads on /tg/
>>
>>55352560
Roll20
>>
>>55352108
Fucker looks, straight up, like Chester Cheetah.
>>
File: ReadTheBook2.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
ReadTheBook2.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>55352555
>Monk abilities and Bard abilities are magical as canon per the book
Prove it. They're not.
>>
>>55352551
Mine was like a conjoined mess of elf and tiefling shit with fey flavors.
>>
>>55352579
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/11/does-stunning-strike-is-not-a-magical-effect-for-magic-resistance/

You're correct on the ki not being being magical at least
>>
For ongoing campaigns, do you plan one adventure at a time or do you always plan for the sequel / everything is part of a bigger picture?
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 952x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 952x640px
>>55352579
>>55352676
Not him, but that's some bullshit. Ki is literally magic used by people who study magic energy to cause magical effects.
>>
>>55352709
Before a campaign starts I come up with an over arching story that the players can pursue. However if they are disinterested and start going off in a different direction I'll take bits and pieces from the story then use them if they fit something they have pursued coming up with an end based off what the players have interacted with and what happened as a result.
>>
>>55352757
>using the fluff text for mechanics
You're really smart aren't you
Try reading the actual description of the ki mechanic. It is not described as magical, nor is Stunning Strike.
>>
>>55352773
Fluff should complement mechanics, not contradict them. PHB should've spent another quarter in proofing.
>>
I'm a bit confused by the Githzerai Monastic Tradition trait. I thought armor calculations did not stack. So Githzerai monks would not be able to use this trait?

Is that right?
>>
File: 1502344180271.png (13KB, 555x407px) Image search: [Google]
1502344180271.png
13KB, 555x407px
>>55352757
It has it's perks, you can't be shut down by an anti magic field, your unarmed attacks are still considered magical as per your level 6 I believe for overcoming resistances and really makes you handy in a party that relies on magic.

Mostly it seems like flavor te
>>
>>55352790
It's not an AC calculation, it's an AC bonus
>>
>>55352820
Flavor text since the shit you are doing might as well be magic to Joe schmoe.

Accidentally hit post when trying to scroll down on phone
>>
>>55352790
>I thought armor calculations did not stack
This is true, but the Githzerai feature is not an armor calculation, it's a bonus.
>>
>>55352833
Most things might as well be magic to Joe schmoe.
>>
>>55352833
Oh look. It's 4e kun. Don't you have to go over to the 4e thread and suck on TwoLiterallyWho-fag's dick? You might not be used to this alien concept, but 5e-friends enjoy it when our fluff matches up to our mechanics.
>>
>>55350702
I'm not sure about the snowflakey Eladrin personality shifting, and mechanically they seem just more powerful than high elf, but otherwise they're good I think and it's nice with more races.
>>
>>55352851
Well yeah since you're supposed to be heros, depending on the setting, you're a cut above the regular people. If you weren't you would have just stayed on the farm, or in the city.
>>
>>55352833
>>55352851
>implying any of the shadow or 4 elements features aren't literally magic
>>
>>55352885
The features that use ki can be magical, but using ki doesn't automatically make it so.
>>
>>55352892
Shadow step doesn't even use Ki, but it's clearly not mundane.
>>
>>55352870
>Oh look. It's 4e kun
Who? The only edition I've played is 5e, is it annoying that the fluff doesn't match the mechanics? Yes they should have been clearer but it happens and you can always home rule it that it is magic to fit the fluff.
>>
>>55352913
Must be beyond a magic/mundane binary.
>>
File: 1501805300929.gif (240KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1501805300929.gif
240KB, 320x320px
Do Life Domain Theurgist Wizards make good healers? Should I even bother picking Life Domain?
>>
ROLLING FOR DICK SIZE LADS
>>
So is UA just a series of articles now, not an actual book? The fighter entry says it's just playtesting material, is there an official version?
>>
>>55353019
Shit. How do you roll dice? Where's the email field?
>>
>>55353038
Nvm, got it
>>
>>55353028
Yes. UA is just periodical playtest articles, aka Mike Mearls and company's homebrew. Some of its cool, and a good chunk of it is shit
>>
>>55353019
>>55353038
>>55353056
Wow.
>>
>>55353056
>Nvm, got it
you sure?
>>
>>55353056
NO
>>
>>55353038
>>55353028
>>55353019
I don't know where you came from, but please go back.
>>
>>55352885
That's what makes the ruling so odd, Wot4E is definitely magic since you are duplicating spells. Along with the shit the Shadow Monk can do, my only guess is he is strictly talking about things like stunning blows.
>>
>>55353105
>my only guess is he is strictly talking about things like stunning blows.
Yes, exactly
>>
Rolled 1, 1 + 1 = 3 (2d4 + 1)

>>55353019
you're supposed to do it like this
>>
>>55353114
>dicklet
>>
>>55353114
So did you or did you not type dice+1d4+1 in the options bar?
>>
So Gith races means we have to be getting Planescape material soon right?
>>
>>55353126
It's 3d10 for a human Anon, I think he was rolling for a dwarf
>>
>>55353155

Nah, they've probably been retconned to be Forgotten Realms exclusive.
>>
Rolled 10, 2, 4 = 16 (3d10)

>>55353114
call me
BIGGUS
DICKUS
>>
>>55353162
>average human dick size is 16.5 inches
>>
>>55352977
>Who? The only edition I've played is 5e,
>W-w-ww-w-what are you talking about, anon? I didn't even know D&D HAD editions
>[nervous laughter]
>>
>>55351708
Inferior to 3d10 from previous thread. Change the die according to size. Valid for humanoids only.
>>
>>55353111
>>55353105
But that's pretty bullshit in itself, right? If the caster walks into the antimagic field he can't do anything. If the fighter walks into the antimagic field he can't do anything either because his magic gear is mundane now. If the monk walks into the antimagic field his weapons don't lose their magical properties, and, arguably, the shadow monk can still "cast" his spells because they're not magic, he's just duplicating the effects of a magic spell.
>>
Rolled 1, 3, 3, 1, 6, 5, 5, 4, 6, 6, 6, 1, 1, 2, 5, 4, 4, 2 = 65 (18d6)

Let's see how bad this Half-Orc Paladin gets.
>>
>>55353202
>because his magic gear is mundane now
homie can still stab the fuck out of you.
>>
>>55353202

So the Monk gets something for the first fucking time ever in its history of being the worst class in every edition and you say"Shit on them more"
>>
>>55353218
Very bad
>>
>>55353180
Centimetres, anon. Average is therefore about 6.5".
>>
>>55353202
>If the fighter walks into the antimagic field he can't do anything either because his magic gear is mundane now
Mundane weapons can still deal damage. They also don't lose out on their features like superiority dice.
>If the monk walks into the antimagic field his weapons don't lose their magical properties
They do.
>duplicating the effects of a magic spell
Duplicating the effects of a spell is defined as magical.
>>
>>55353202
Oh shit my +3 greataxe now does 3 less damage and I have 3 less to hit, my rediculous to hit is now a little less rediculous
>>
>>55353233
>>55353202
It shouldn't be an argument about balance but am argument about versimilatude. If the book says it's magic but then mechanically it's not, that's just shit fucking writing.
>>
File: 1495403644435.jpg (17KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1495403644435.jpg
17KB, 255x255px
>>55353187
Nice strawman m80, I get not wanting to admit being wrong but this is just sad.
>>
>>55352435
So it's best with small dips for archetype features, 5th for extra attack, or 7th for OoA aura. What other classes offer good enough dips for an similar level splits (like OoA/ x)
>>
>>55353251
>They do.
They don't. He doesn't lose Ki-empowered strikes in an antimagic field.
>>
>>55353218
>>55353239

STR 9 (+2 from racial)
DEX 12
CON 16 (+1 from racial)
INT 13
WIS 8
CHA 10

What's his story? A healthy scrawny half orc who is rather mediocre with being a speaker to the people decides to take the oath.
>>
>>55346891
Well of course not exactly, but I want to at least keep the hit dice number and the creature's ability scores fairly close if I can (though Strength needs to be adjusted downward, and need to make up Con and Int scores cause those were non-abilities for 3.5 constructs).

>>55346905
I'm sorry but reskinning is boring as hell and there's not monster in the book that fills a juggernaut role.

>>55346906
Good ideas, anon. I think I will increase the speed and give it some ranged abilities. It's meant to be a huge siege machine, not really something you fight in a dungeon. I recently did fight one in a dungeon in my 3.5 game and it didn't really make sense. Felt kinda forced.

Anyway I'll work on a new version and post it soon.
>>
>>55353251
>>55353284
>Duplicating the effects of a spell is defined as magical.
Also, give me a page number or a tweet for that please.
>>
>>55353284
>He doesn't lose Ki-empowered strikes in an antimagic field
...Yes he does. It explicitly says "your unarmed strikes count as magical", which would be negated in an anti-magic field.
>>
>>55351084
>>55351714
Githyanki are space pirates. They live in the Astral Plane, wield terrifyingly deadly(in the AP) silver swords, hate mind flayers, and serve a lich queen. They coined the term gish for their fighter/mages. Known for telekinetically assisted leaps, for some reason.

Githzerai are bastions of order in fucking Limbo. Live in monasteries they make with their mental discipline. Other than being Monks, they call their fighter/mages by the less catchy term, zerth. Generally nice people that keep to themselves.
>>
>>55353288
He's a rogue who's not so good at his job, but still survives because he's just so damn tough
>>
>>55353312
>https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/702205711011328000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sageadvice.eu%2F2016%2F05%2F11%2Fdoes-stunning-strike-is-not-a-magical-effect-for-magic-resistance%2F
>>
>>55353312
It says "count as" not "are" faglord
>>
>>55352377
> laughinghasbro.gif
>>
>>55353320
Tank rogue?
>>
File: ORC WIZARD.png (404KB, 1024x573px) Image search: [Google]
ORC WIZARD.png
404KB, 1024x573px
Rolled 5, 2, 1, 2 + 4 = 14 (4d6 + 4)

Lets make an orc wizard. What could go wrong? The atributes are in order. What school of magic should we use?
>>
>>55353337
>being this retarded
Is the "Ki-Empowered Strikes" feature the "Ki" feature or the "Stunning Strikes" feature? No. Learn to read.

>>55353343
Which still qualifies it for being affected by an anti-magic field
>>
File: 1445698392825.gif (3MB, 237x329px) Image search: [Google]
1445698392825.gif
3MB, 237x329px
>>55352108
>no joke supersonic speed tabaxi NPC
Oh, okay.
>>
Rolled 20, 3, 20, 8, 17, 4 = 72 (6d20)

>>55353370
fuck. I dont know how to roll. Wel, this is better I guess.
>>
>>55353370
>What could go wrong
Apparently being born is where it went wrong
>>
>>55353391
Muscle wizard all the way
>>
>>55353374
>Which still qualifies it for being affected by an anti-magic field
Is there a precedent for that?
>>
>>55353251
>>55353374
Cite your claims.
>>
>>55352757
>to cause magical effects.
And exceed their bodies' physical abilities. Separate clauses. Many uses of Ki are not magical effects.
>>
Motivation for a non-cleric religious man of a life god?
>>
>>55353441
He was raised in the faith?
Not quite sure what you're asking tho
>>
>>55353429
If you're using magical energy to exceed your physical capabilities, it's magic. When the human wizard casts Jump on himself, he's exceeding his body's physical capabilities.
>>
Rolled 1, 1, 3, 5 = 10 (4d6)

>>55353244
Isn't the average like 13 though? Which means the generally accepted 4d6d1 would be perfect.
>>
>>55353441

kill all normies
>>
>>55352913
Shadow step doesn't spend ki or say it's magical, but antimagic field blocks teleports anyway.
>>
>>55353424
>>55353427
The fucking description of antimagic field?
>A magic weapon’s properties and powers are suppressed if it is used against a target in the sphere or wielded by an attacker in the sphere
If it counts as a magic weapon, it's fucking suppressed as a magic weapon.
>>
Rolled 4, 5 + 6 = 15 (2d6 + 6)

>>55353455
actually 6+2d6 makes more sense.
>>
>>55353429
>And exceed their bodies' physical abilities

How do you exceed physical capabilities without magic? The entire point of magic is that it allows the physically impossible to happen.
>>
>>55353469
I thought it blocked spells that teleport you
>>
>>55353007
Life Domain is great because you don't waste a bunch of spell choices for your domain list. Even though Wizard gets a lot of spells if you need to take 5-8 useless/redundant spells you'll notice that you don't have the ability to pick everything you want.
Just take Find Familiar at 1st level Wizard, and cast Cure Wounds/Lesser Restoration through it for extra range.
>>
File: image.png (373KB, 1544x973px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
373KB, 1544x973px
>>55353455
>>
>>55353471
Ah, but unarmed strikes aren't weapons
>>
>>55353480
"Teleportation and planar travel fail to work in the sphere"
READ NIGGA READ
>>
File: IMG_1824.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1824.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>55353492
But it aint magic how it blocking it nigga?
>>
>>55353391
Strg: fucking strong
Dex: he is a slow fucker
Con: Luke Cage lvl shit
Int: He knows how to read because he needed it to copy all of his exams in the wizard school
Wis: He became a wiz by pure cunning shit. He is a stupid fucker and he knows it but somehow use thatn in his advantage.
Cha: he is an ugly fuker that doesnt talk much but isnt as ugly to be intimidating.
>>
>>55353469
Exactly. If not for that specific paragraph the shadow monk would be able to teleport out of antimagic fields.

>>55353471
It's not a magical weapon and it only counts as one "for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage." It does not say it counts as a magical weapon for magic supression.
>>
>>55353491
In which case a monster's resistance to "bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical WEAPONS" would be unaffected. However, since that was errata'd to "non-magical attacks", I think it's more reasonable to assume that the same rules apply to antimagic field.

>>55353500
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>55353507
>it only counts as one "for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage." It does not say it counts as a magical weapon for magic supression.
You are unbelievably fucking retarded.
>>
>>55353280
EK 7,8,9,10,11, or 12/Wiz X
AT 6,7,8,9,10,11, or 12/Wiz X
Ancients Pal 7 or 8/Feylock X
Ancients Pal 8 or 10/Lore Bard X
Bear Barb 8 or 12/Assassin X

All decent at level 20 but you'll obviously have to optimize mixing and matching levels throughout to keep your power level relatively close to a singleclass.
>>
>>55353488
Huh, I just remember reading 13 or 15 or something half a decade ago, I wouldn't trust the pic too much with some/much of it being self reported, but definitely seems the avg is more than 13.
>>
>>55353523
My guess is he is translating that to mean "it is not magical, but when you hit something you treat it as if it was magical even though it isn't."
>>
>>55353523
>rule says X
>rule does not say Y

Unarmed strikes are not a weapon. They can count as a magic weapon under a very specific circumstance. Magic suppression is not that circumstance.
>>
>>55353475
>How do you exceed physical capabilities without magic?

ask barbarians
>>
>>55353546
You're wrong.
>>
>>55353475
Adrenaline
>>
>>55353475
will power
>>
>>55353557
CITE
YOUR
CLAIM
>>
>>55353450
yes, forgot to mention the acolyte background.
Also he'll probably be a ranger, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>55353570
HOW ABOUT YOU
I ALREADY SHOWED YOU THE FUCKING DESCRIPTION OF ANTIMAGIC FIELD AND EXPLAINED HOW IT AFFECTS THE ABILITY. The only way you could still think you're right is if you're an illiterate autist.
>>
whens 6e
>>
>>55353583
Once sales start dropping for 5e
>>
>>55353577
>unarmed strikes are not a spell
>unarmed strikes are not a summon
>unarmed strikes are not a magic item
>unarmed strikes are not a magical effect (Ki is not magic, as per crawford)
>>
>>55353614
>unarmed strikes count as magical weapons
>antimagic field explicitly suppresses magical weapons
>>
Hey DMs out there would you allow a Valor Bard to pick up Swift Quiver if there is a Ranger or Ranged Fighter in the group?
>>
>>55353561
>>55353562

Neither of these things exceed what is physically possible.

>>55353549

Most barbarians have some kind of minor magic though. The only archetypes you could even attempt to argue aren't magical are Berserker and Battlerager.
>>
>>55353534
Good points.

What about multi class dips? How far, or how many levels can you dip before you fuck over the power level of your main class?
>>
>>55353637
Unarmed strikes are not weapons. They never count as weapons. They count as magical for one specific case.
>>
>>55353657
Sure, why not? What does the party comp have any thing to do with it?
>>
>>55353455
Heroes, anon.
>>
>tfw no deep pockets spell
>>
>>55352377
Unless I'm missing something, aren't their take downs due to the fact that people have been using their assets (trove), or monetizing their assets (orcpub), something which they are entirely justified to be able to take down?

Also, no, they won't give a shit.
>>
>>55353637
It only says they count as magical for the purpose of over coming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage. The key here is how you decide to interpret count, some will see it as you "they are a magic weapon therefore anti magic fields suppress them" or it could be interpreted as "they are not magical, but still over come magical resistance because of the monk ability."
>>
>>55353658
Adrenaline most certainly does make that possible.
>>
>>55353658
>Most barbarians have some kind of minor magic though. The only archetypes you could even attempt to argue aren't magical are Berserker and Battlerager.

That's only true if you count UA barbarians and only if you assume that some archetypes aren't more common than others, which isn't likely. Anyway, it's irrelevant. "Most barbarians" still means some barbarian exceed physical limits without magic.
>>
Rolled 4, 11, 7, 16, 13, 3 = 54 (6d20)

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
>>
>>55353657
Yes, especially in that situation.
The sooner bitch boy martials learn their place in the face of superior full casters the better.
>>
>>55353776
Typical wizard. Weak and ugly as fuck manlet, but good brains and eyes
>>
File: 1504215936798.gif (1011KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
1504215936798.gif
1011KB, 500x273px
>>55353770
>Mfw Barbarians ignore/mitigate some damage done to them
>Remember all those police videos of people hopped up on PCP face tanking tasers
>Barbarians are junkies hooked on fantasy PCP
>>
>>55353659
Depends which classes you're using, but generally dips should only be 1 to 3 levels. The best things from dips really are Action Surge, Expertise/Cunning Action, Smiting, weapon, armor, and saving throw proficiencies, and spellcasting (cantrips, ritual casting, proficiencies, and level 1 spells). So, compare those things to your main class' high-level features and decide how long they're worth delaying (and if you're dreaming about level 20, decide how badly you want your main class' level 18 or 19 features).
>>
File: Wildnerness Survival Guide.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Wildnerness Survival Guide.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
Made a wilderness guide for my Thule campaign. My players enjoy this level of crunch.

Please, take it and use it if you would like in your own games.

Does anyone have some good hooks or adventures they would always hope to run? I'm a little dry on ideas for the next session.
>>
>>55353770

I would argue that Battleragers and Berserkers don't exceed what is physically possible though. The ones that do, use magic. The ones that don't have magic, still only do what is physically possible.

>>55353732

Adrenaline is a hormone, a physical chemical, that by definition interacts physically to do what it does.You are saying that the interaction between physical substances is somehow defying what is physically possible.
>>
>>55353534
Also Ranger (Hunter) 8/Rogue (any) 12
Fighter (Any) 5 or 6/Revised Beastmaster X
>>
>>55353866
>Does anyone have some good hooks or adventures they would always hope to run?

Treasure Town
>>
>>55353894
Treasure Town? I'm intrigued, what is Treasure Town?
>>
>>55353936
It's a town
>>
>>55353873
Yes because surges of adrenaline can push you beyond what your body is normally capable of. Technically it isn't physically possible to lift that 500lbs tree limb off your friend for you, but with adrenaline flooding your system that becomes possible. Therefore the physically impossible became possible, you have to keep in mind what is physically possible for one person is not for another, however those who normally can't do something can if their body responds appropiately and dumps adrenaline into them.
>>
>>55353943
What is their natural export?
>>
>>55353962

Adrenaline is a physical substance. If adrenaline is letting you do something, then it's physically possible. Physically possible means it can be described by physics, not that it is something that can normally happen on an average day.
>>
>>55353968
Ever wonder where all this fucking treasure is coming from?
>>
>>55353968
Filled coffins.
>>
>>55353962
You have a gross misunderstanding of what "physically possible" means
>>
I need an introduction for Strahd von Zarovich. What have you used?

I thought about him showing up and post-Barovia and having a toy fight with them to see who he deems "the strongest" and "the weakest" of the pack so he can exploit that later, but I'm not sure where.
>>
>>55353637
...for the purposes of overcoming magical immunities.

Stop leaving out half the sentence, you disingenuous sperglette.
>>
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/06/ki-vs-antimagic/

Literally depends on the setting/DM
>>
>>55354033
>a fucking non-answer
>>
>>55353962
>/tg/ physics

What even is leverage?
>>
>>55353982
Huh well guess I was wrong then

>>55354018
Yes I realize that now, should probably stick to turning wrenches
>>
>>55353833
Say I want to gish or melee, and tie as many things as possible to CHA. That gives:

13 dex for medium armor or 15 str for heavy.
3 rogue swashbuckler for cha initiative mod
3 tomelock for cha shillelagh, or hexblade if UA is ok.
Two attacks from somewhere, paladin gives most synergy. Alternatively, just continue swashbuckler using a staff, but that doesn't synergise with rogue.
>>
>you have been exiled from a theocratic dictatorial island nation (you were either a slave or citizen that committed some crime against the church or God)
>you wash up on a beach surrounded by corpses, mostly fellow exiles
>you kill some zombies on the way to the only town for miles, after a few minor missions you meet the person who exiled you

is this enough of a hook?
>>
>>55354085
A +4 circumstance bonus or Advantage on the roll, depending on the system.
>>
>>55354099
Path of Exile eh.
>>
>>55353962
Some people can lift over a 1000 lbs IRL...
>>
>>55354099
i only played five minutes of path of exile and i still recognise that.
>>
File: franksweettmkup.jpg (151KB, 577x474px) Image search: [Google]
franksweettmkup.jpg
151KB, 577x474px
>>55354023
Had him come down a flight of steps, since an elevator (or substitute) wouldn't work well. He definitely wanted to toy with them but for entirely different reasons. Iirc I normally had it happen after they meet the fortune teller, or past the point they should have if they bypassed her.
>>
>>55354062
Crawford is a fag
>>
>>55354136
>but for entirely different reasons

Might I inquire why he appeared to toy with them?
>>
>>55354122
>>55354112
the lore is good, b-back off!
>>
>>55354099
I'll do you one better.
>you pick up some gems, and all of your spells/attacks become forked chained multiple projectile penetrating triple cast spells
>>
>>55354099
if you were exiled out of the nation, why the fuck would you bump into your exiler again
>>
>>55354163
that's a good question with a good answer.
>>
>>55354121
Not for extended periods
>>
File: tim-curry-rocky-horror-670x445.jpg (54KB, 670x445px) Image search: [Google]
tim-curry-rocky-horror-670x445.jpg
54KB, 670x445px
>>55354144
He wanted new toys for relieving tension and wanted to see if they were durable enough to fill that role. I had way too much fun with the way they decided to portray Strahd.
>>
>>55354152
Nobody said it was inherrantly bad. If you're playing a game set in path of exile go nuts, it works, it's a good reason way to put a group together, and it jumps right into the action. If you don't want to run a path of exile game, then just change some words around.

>you have been exiled from a magicratic by the elder council of an island nation (you were either a slave or citizen that committed some crime) Alternatively, you tried to leave and a storm washed you up here
>you wash up on a beach surrounded by corpses, mostly crewmen
>you kill some bandits on the way to the only town for miles, after a few minor missions you meet the person who conjure the storm that's been fucking with this trade route and stranded you here
>>
>>55354198
I love what is written but there is so little on what he actually does beyond his end game position.

I suppose that is the greatest strength of running Strahd, he is as evil as you want.
>>
>>55354203
no, i planned on using PoE as the setting. none of the people in my group have played the game for more than a few minutes so only the initial mission will feel familiar. The Beast will be the main focus of the campaign overall.
>>
>>55353267
>This low-tier level of deflection
Careful anon. You deflect any harder and you're gonna cause someone to make a 9/11 webm out of you.
>>
>>55354091
I mean, that works if you want to be as SAD as possible, but you don't get Sneak Attack with a staff, and if you're only taking the Tomelock levels for Shillelagh, it's kind of a waste that just fucks up your ASIs. You'd have the ASIs to use a rapier or 2 shortswords instead and get your sneak attack damage too.
>>
>all these roll20 games have you fill out a job application
I wish I had friends
>>
>>55354254
Cool, are your players mostly into dungeon diving and slaying tribes of, most likely evil, natives with little reason other than "they're getting between us and going home"?

I'll admit, my character is only at the temple of the sun, I jump around between games a lot.
>>
How do you roleplay effectively as other races/species? I feel like im missing out by playing human everything
>>
>>55354313
there will be some dungeon diving, but i'm gonna cut a lot of the filler and focus on the main plot with an emphasis on open world exploration to find the way forward.
>>
So when you're running published adventures, is it a lot of times up to DM discretion on when they may want to axe certain NPCs?

Because of the 3 I read, besides villains, most NPCs are left very open ended on what you do with them. Even major ones are like this.
>>
>>55354254
I hope you have a better lead up and explanation for the beast than the game did
>>
>>55353678
>>55353780

Because it might step on the toes of the martial classes.
>>
>>55354349
you have to go looking for the lore in PoE because the lore is a backdrop, not a focus, in that game. If you go around and listen to every bit of dialogue and click the interactable story items in the game you get a much better picture of the beast and what it really is.
>>
>>55354291
Well you can do it the way I did it: go from literally no friends to playing in Adventurer's League/casual MtG, and eventually dropping the LGS after a year and a half.
>>
>>55350687
People expect something cool out of UA, this one is not that. They presented the players 3 races their DMs would not let them use in Forgotten Realms because they are not common sights and are extra planar bullshit. Surely a Gith would be left to wonder around with a party of morons, no one would pick him out, never. Eladrin, fucking straight out of Feywild bipolar fuck, no players are not gonna be that guys and meme using it, then bullshit how they can change aligments because they feel like snow today. Races are cool, but are not suited for player races in the default 5E setting.
>>
>>55354237
Exactly, he's far more flexible in how you evil you want to portray him. Really they should make people aware that their adventures should be treated like tool kits and not a "you must run it as this!" Because half the time they don't even give you enough.
>>
>>55354368
Wouldn't he already be stepping on their toes if he's being a ranged martial now?
>>
>>55354348
i mean, i killed off Ismark from CoS in like, session 2.
>>
>>55354284
Yeah, it's more of a theorycraft rather than something I'd actually play. I'm just trying to see if it's possible.
>>
>>55354454
I guess so, but this seems like a little more than usual and earlier at that.
>>
>>55354348
As I said >>55354446 treat published adventures as tool kits, if your PCs really like a NPC then spend more time fleshing them out and having them interact more, or if they piss off one have that NPC maybe show up to get back at them.>>55354446
>>
>>55353637
What the literal fuck are you talking about :D
"If you hit someone without a weapon, your hands become wands, right."
>>
>>55354490
>What the literal fuck are you talking about :D
Ki-Empowered Strikes you illiterate numbskull
>>
>>55354478
Personally it would come down to basic character concept and who decided on the classes first. If the players didn't actually converse with each other to avoid getting in each other's way, then let them do whatever. Just because the ranger and fighter are specifically ranged subclasses doesn't mean a ranged rogue, or maybe a valor bard isn't just as valid a concept. If it becomes a problem between the players, handle it. If it doesn't, then don't worry about it and let them do what they want.
>>
>>55354516
They count as magical for damage resistance. They are not weapons, not even magical weapons.
>>
Do I go full Ancients Paladin or dip 3 levels into Feylock or Lore Bard?
>>
How does thief compare to other rogue subclasses?
>>
>>55354687
thief steals things better
assassins stab things better
arcane tricksters summon handjobs
>>
>>55354686
Lore bard, spread happiness through song my friend
>>
>>55354687
It's their only worthwhile subclass aside from the Swashbuckler.
>>
>>55354686
3 in to feylock. It's legitimately the most fun I've ever had as a paladin
>>
>>55354734
What about mastermind? How often do you get to use their "sneak attack always on this target" ability?
>>
>>55354734
What are some fun and useful ways to put Fast Hands to use? I'm MCing into rogue on my ranger and I'm trying to make him into a mobile ambush specialist. Going with dueling to keep a free hand open to toss acid or something I think
>>
>>55354734
Nah, AT is good too
>>
>>55354771
When's the best time to take it?
>>
>>55351733
>>55351745
This ain't fatal, but you're funny, anon. I like you.
>>55352253
Don't interrupt my hidden magical realming
Good point about cloacas, though.
>>55353193
3d10 for medium creatures? Jesus.
>>
>>55354478
This is why I wish ranger got swift quiver at spell level 4 instead of 5. Playing pure ranger just to be able to pick up 1 or 2 uses per day at max level just seems like ass to me
>>
>>55354780
Mastermind is pretty low rated. Arcane Trickster/Swashbuckler are viewed to be best, Thief is solid, Assassin is weak, Mastermind is worst.
>>
>>55354788
Just play a bard. The arcane trickster's features are not good.
>>
>>55354795
If you're starting from scratch, no earlier than level 6 honestly. It comes down to what parts you're okay with delaying. Aura of Protection is retardedly good and your party will suck your dick all day for it. Waiting 2 more levels you get a ASI, waiting till 11 you get improved divine smite for extra d8 radiant on every attack, and waiting a level after that, another asi. Not to mention there's your paladin spell progression to think of.
>>
>>55354818
What about that inquisitive rogue thing?
>>
>>55354818
What's weak about assassin?
>>
>>55354920
Its main feature requires a good roll
>>
>picked up ToA
>there are lobsterfolk in it

consider me hooked, put this on loop boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMUqdRJefkE
>>
>>55354920
The main feature is super unreliable. The high level features are okay again, but you're unlikely to ever reach them.
>>
>>55354920
Very DM dependent, utility features are shit, swashbuckler is a better all-round option for a combat rogue.
>>
>>55354962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E5m_XtCX3c
>>
Are you guys starting ToA at level 1? I was thinking about doing that then potentially allowing level ups if the dinosaur races go well.
>>
>>55354687
>>55354818
Thief, AT, and swashbuckler are all good.
>>55354920
poorly worded main feature, DM and party dependent main feature.
>>
>>55354890
>>55354817
>>55354780
Ah, shit, yeah, inquisitive is the one I meant, that one gets the "sneak attack this dude all the time" ability. How often does it come up?
>>
how is Moon Bow Archfey Warlock? seems fun.
>>
>>55352253
Come on, Dragonborns have TWO dicks.
>>
>>55355276
YES as we all know from the massive ammounts of scaley porn we all browse on a daily basis
>>
>>55355226
whats moon bow
>>
File: file.png (18KB, 832x104px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
18KB, 832x104px
>>55355301
UA stuff, which besides Lore Wizard and a few other things is allowed at our table so we can tell WotC to fuck off with some of it.
>>
>>55355314
where's that feature in?
>>
>>55353472
The best way to roll stats in 5e is 3d4+4
>>
>>55355362
They're talking about dick size anon, not ability scores
>>
>>55355159
I'm not saying Thief isn't good, just AT and Swashbuckler are generally regarded to be better.

>>55355226
To my knowledge, technically no longer exists as it was supplanted by the following UA that removed such things.
>>
>>55355391
Dick size IS an ability score.
>>
I am reading a guide that says variant humans can get +3 in a stat. This is wrong right? I have allways asumed they have +2/+1, can they really pick everything in one stat?
>>
>>55355314
So glad they removed these weapons. 10d8 smite damage over range for one spellslot, who came up with this idea?
>>
>>55355411
Thief is heavily dependent on the setting and how many magic items you get to dick around with. Otherwise having remote lockpicking and 1v1 sneak attack is more consistently useful
>>
Me and my GM are having a disagreement over the Monk's Step of the Wind ki action. I read it as I get to use my bonus action to Dash (I have 50 ft movement) 100 ft, attack and then use my move action to run away. But my GM rules it as I used my movement action with Step of the Wind.

Which one do you think is right?
>>
>>55355445
GM
>>
>>55355433
>This is wrong right?
Right
>can they really pick everything in one stat?
No
>>
>>55355433
>reading guides for 5e
Disregarding your retardation, the guide is wrong. The two +1's the variant humans get have to go to different stats, so if they were to take a feat that gave a +1, their maximum ASI at level 1 would be +2/+1
>>
>>55355411
Thief is the overall best abilities, swashbuckler is best for combat, or multi-classing with cha casters, AT is good for mc-ing with wizards, and the mage hand ledgermain is a really good feature. Otherwise ok.
>>
Have there been any efforts, official or otherwise, to port Minion rules from 4e to 5e? I kind of miss that rule.
>>
>>55355445

You clearly misunderstand what a dash is. Dash adds your movement to your movement, so 50 + 50 = 100 total feet of movement. A second dash would give you 150.
>>
>>55355435
UAs are just not designed for multiclassing. For a Warlock, it's going to be 1/2 to 1/3rd of his entire casting ability for the entire encounter at the very least, which isn't terrible when a wizard can throw out 3 fireballs at the same level.
>>
>>55355435
I mean i assume they're designing with the intent to make it alluring for pure warlocks without thinking of multi-class shenanigans. Which isn't a bad thing in my mind. If you constantly design around the fear of breaking the game through multiclassing, everything just ends up weak and unfun by themselves.
>>
File: Warrior of Justice.png (38KB, 955x575px) Image search: [Google]
Warrior of Justice.png
38KB, 955x575px
>>55353794
Whenever I run barbarian, I try to make it more interesting than "Hulk get mad; Hulk smash". Especially because it's basically a shitty meme at this point.

One character I made a barbarian, I fluffed out the "rage" as a HENSHEN! and transformed.
>>
>>55355469
Yeah the way its worded, they can't use their daily 6-9th level spells from that other feature for this right?
>>
>>55355465
>>55355455
Alright, well that's a shame.
>>
>>55355499
Warlocks don't have spell slots above level 5
>>
>>55355226
I at least love the idea of big dick arrow of slaying style shots. Dont know if this is the right avenue or class for it though
>>
>>55355469
>>55355471
Ok? I never said anything about multiclassing. This shit still outdamages Paladins by miles. The reworked eldritch smite is way better, as it has the same damage as the Paladins smite.

2d8 per spellslot level is just way too much, regardless of the low amount of spellslots.
Unlike the wizard, the Warlock is balanced around the low amout of spellslots, and thus has many effects that make him strong or give him utility without them.
>>
>>55355435
In DMG, p. 284 there is table that lists damage appropriate for spell of certain slots. Single target damage of 5th level slot is listed as 8d10, which is essentially the same as 10d8 smite EXCEPT you do weapon damage at the top of it, i guess.
>>
File: Bitches Mirin at my Mahjong.png (246KB, 505x588px) Image search: [Google]
Bitches Mirin at my Mahjong.png
246KB, 505x588px
>>55354023
I had him show up right outside of Death House when the players first escaped it. He welcomed them to explore his land, and whenever they felt like it, invited them to come to his castle for lunch. Then he transformed into a bat and flew away in a massive swarm to his castle before the fog noticeably got thinner around them.

It was surprisingly effective at scaring the shit out of them, and half of them were the shit-eating one-liner types. Apparently, if you want to scare them, you just have to be so much more powerful than them that you don't give a shit if they're in front of you and know you're a vampire.
>>
File: June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf (118KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf
118KB, 1x1px
>>55355226
Uhmmmm, anon, you're not supposed to use that invocation. Use the new and improved* meritless smite invocation that replaces it.
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/06/06/revised-subclasses-are-todays-ua-invocations-meant-to-replacerevise-all-prior-ua-invocations/
>>
>>55355520
You asked "who thought this was a good idea", we gave you the thought process. It's not like a wizard can't shit out as much or more than 10d8 for a 5th level slot.
>>
>>55355482
>Iktf
The Goliath Barbearian I'm gonna be playing has 12 int because I think the whole "me dumb but stronk and like to smash" is pretty lame.
>>
>>55353475
>How do you exceed physical capabilities without magic
Ki
>>
>>55355578
You too should follow the ways of Justice, my friend.
>>
>goliath barb/fighter 3 champion great weapon fighting style great weapon master
>>
What are some of your favorite enemies to face in combat, /5eg/?
>>
>>55353475
Psionics
>>
>>55355603
>not half-orc for maximum critfishery
Come on now son
>>
>>55355591
I would but I already worked with my DM to build Goliaths and I pretty much stuck with what they are described as in previous editions. He grew up amongst them but left the herd when he married, so he'll lean that way bit. Although I know for sure what I'm doing next campaign.
>>
>>55355557
But the wizard doesn't make 2 ranged attacks ontop of that. The moonbow is broken and you know it.

The thought process doen't have anything to do with the actual numbers, where clearly no thought went into. Why else would they revise exactly this?
>>
>>55355540
how did the lunch go, anon?
>>
>>55355588
But Ki is magic. See >>55352757
>>
File: 1487144283998.png (12KB, 439x273px) Image search: [Google]
1487144283998.png
12KB, 439x273px
>>55355687
>>
>>55355700
Terrible.

One of the PCs kind of revealed to me he was a little bit evil and wanted to work with strahd to usurp him. So Strahd approached them in the middle of the night when he was the only one on guard and told him that outside a fork in the road would be a carriage, and his job was to get the group in there.

One of them was a metagaming retarded bitch though and slew the horses on sight for literally no reason than "it's what my character would do". Then shortly awhile later for seemingly unrelated reasons, the group collapsed.
>>
>>55355730
How can you even make this comparison? Ranged and melee smites are two different worlds.

You also imply that the Warlock takes no short rests. Common is 3 short rests per long rest, so now triple the warlocks damage and compare again if you really have to.
>>
>>55355757
Fuck, that is a shame.

I sorta want to have Strahd invite them for dinner, it sounds like a fun time, but is post-death house too early?

What about post-Ireena meetup? I'm starting the campaign with them having dinner with the Duchess so it could be fun to end the 1st session with a dinner as well. This time it is with Strahd.
>>
New thread when
>>
If I go for a Bard X/Life Cleric 1 muticlass, what should I take as my first level, Cleric or Bard? I feel like the Con proficiency is useful for Concentration, but I'll grab War Caster eventually.
>>
>>55355787
>but is post-death house too early?
I did it that early because I knew it would drastically intimidate this group of shit-eaters, because they really did eat shit. They would laugh at every danger I posed at them save for the super big stuff, and even then, they would mock it. I threw Strahd at them super early because I knew their house of shit would crumble down if I pulled the reverse on them.

To note, other than the campaign fuck up, it worked. Really well. They were still rather mocking of the rest of the campaign, but Strahd was given his due respect because they knew that he could just fuck them up if he wanted to.

If you want, I believe there is actually a passage with Strahd having dinner with them in a dining room. Read the early parts of Castle Ravenloft. That might help you out.
>>
>>55355705
Ki is "magic" the same way that you being fucking alive is "magic", since there's positive energy animating you and without it you'd be a cold, immobile lump.

Put in real world terms, saying ki is magic would be like saying gravity and the physics behind osmosis are magic. We wouldn't be here without either.
>>
>>55355764
And you have 6 encounters a day, right?
>>
>>55355841
>If you want, I believe there is actually a passage with Strahd having dinner with them in a dining room

Oh shit, that is super useful. Thanks.
>>
>>55355850
wow, holy shit are you actually retarded? do you think sorcerer's aren't magic too?
>>
>>55355867
When traveling those who rely on long rests are usually on the long end of the stick, but in cases like a dungeon where you have multiple short rests the warlocks damage would break anything without even having to multiclass or munchkin.

It's not my problem your DM doesn't allow you enough short rests, when the game is clearly balanced around it. Next you are going to tell me that battlemaster is shit because you need short rests, eh
>>
>>55355833
When it hits page 9/10.
>>
>>55355928
And it also eats up all their invocations to take Extra Attack, Moon Bow, and +X weapon. Meanwhile some Paladins get a third attack at 9 via haste, they get +Cha to saving throws at 6 which I'm sure people would cry about the balance of if it was anything but core, not to mention that if you're a bow lock you have no medium armor or shields while Paladins can just get 18 AC via money.
Having any level of purpose, and usefulness isn't game breaking, it's the baseline.
>>
>>55355841
>Strahd fucking anyone up
>an AC 16 creature with less than 150 HP
>with +4 Str/Dex and no Athletics or Acrobatics
Killed within a turn of trying to melee my party of level 8s. Shoulda stayed back and spammed the rest of his Fireballs, but he decided to get cheeky.
>>
>>55355909
Are YOU retarded? Read the Ki class feature. Nowhere there is it described as magical. Sorcerers on the other hand cast spells and are undeniably magical. They are two different situations entirely.
>>
>>55355949
>Killed within a turn of trying to melee my party of level 8s

You didn't fight Strahd, you fought a retarded DM.
>>
>>55355909
>ki and a sorcerous origin are the same
begone, strawman pact warlock
>>
>>55355966
This to be honest.

>>55355949

Your DM wasn't paying attention to Strahd's resistances, abilities, legendary actions, or anything, and just threw that fight.
>>
>>55354842
"Play a bard" can be applied to any of the rogue subtypes if you're purely looking for the best abilities though.
>>
>>55355991
Bard nerf when
>>
>>55355948
What are you even arguing now. This isn't Paladin vs Warlock. The moonbow and its smite were too strong.
I agree that Paladin are the best martials overall because they offer anything but ranged damage. Warlocks fill a completely different niche, only the smites overlap.
>>
New thread:
>>55356015
>>55356015
>>55356015
>>
>>55356017
Page seven? God dammit dude. Too early.
>>
>>55355764
>common is 3 short rests per long rest

how I can tell you don't actually play the game
>>
>>55355959
See >>55352757
>>
>>55356066
Again, are you retarded? Read the Ki class feature and find the word "magical". I'll wait.
>>
>>55356048
I have 2 sessions this week alone. One as a dm and one as a player.

See >>55355928
While travelling you just have less short rests because you usually have less encounters, but this doesn't even favour Paladins, only real fullcaster who can burn away their spellslots.

There are many situations where 3-4 short rests per day are normal. If it's not for you, I feel sorry for you, because then you should only play fullcaster.
>>
>>55356007
Sometimes I think they should've been 2/3 casters (for symmetry with the 1/3 caster subclasses), I honestly think if you left everything else the same they still wouldn't be underpowered.
>>
>>55355196
Sneak attack is so easy to get though.
>>
>>55353475
It's internal, so it doesn't create any external magical effects, and your body blocks line of effect for Antimagic Field, so it doesn't turn off your internal uses. If Antimagic Field did turn off the internal "element that flows through living bodies", wouldn't you just die?
>>
>>55353657
No, I'd tell that unoptimized faggot to take Haste instead.
Thread posts: 382
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.