[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on gnomes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: gnarly.jpg (225KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
gnarly.jpg
225KB, 1500x1500px
>>
FUCK 'EM!
>>
>>55347370
Don't have sexual intercourse with Gnomes.
>>
>>55347334
Struggle too much with identity issues in every edition other than 4th.

They're like the bastard lovechildren of elves & dwarves and even the game itself tends to push them aside and act embarrassed by them.

Seriously, there's just no real niche for them that isn't treading on the toes of dwarves or elves to some degree.
>>
File: gnomevortex.gif (188KB, 170x162px) Image search: [Google]
gnomevortex.gif
188KB, 170x162px
>>
>>55347334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n3pFFPSlW4 this type of ganome is best ganome
>>
>>55347334
1. Earth elementals. Are just like other elementals: undines, salamanders, sylphs, except more down-to-earth.
2. Garden gnomes. Not sentient. Can be a cause to kill elder gods.
3. A synonym for dwarves.
4. A separate race when your setting does not have hobbits/halflings.
>>
I like the way they look in Pathfinder.
>>
>>55347334
They're okay, I guess. I'd probably go with the interpretation of them being the small fey-ish people (with elves being the non-small fey-ish people) if I used them.
>>
>>55347516
It really says something about the guys involved with a game when the concept of a race that has TWO identifying characteristics rather than just one hits them like such a curveball. Like, people are legitimately flabbergasted at the concept of a race that likes animals AND gemstones.
>>
>>55347334
They're closer to almost every pre-Tolkien depiction of dwarfs than the actual dwarfs. Frankly, if you're tired of the "race of Gimli clones" issue, I say replace the fuckers.
>>
>>55347334
They're keen.
>>
>>55349250
Honestly I don't get why everyone think's Tolkien shook up the lore on Dwarfs when he changed them into Dwarves.

>Hardy folk
>live underground (possibly under mountains)
>crafters of wonderful magical items
>can be capricious and vengeful.
sounds exactly like the Norse Eddas to me. If anything he made them a little less capable of magic, just because magic has a reserved status in Tolkien's work, and a little less ugly evil and mean, but still ugly, evil, and mean enough that they're much changed.
Although I can't think of a dwarf in Norse mythology that is explicitly good, many are not explicitly evil. Like Brokk who forged Mjolnir. He seeks vengeance against Loki, but only because Loki is a braggart and a dickhead. That doesn't make him evil. If anything the Aesir are the dicks of the story.

In Summary. All Tolkien did to change lore was tone down magic and make dwarves capable of being explicitly good, even if it went against some of their greedy nature.
>>
>>55351969
>Hardy folk
In most mythology and folklore dwarfs were whiny, wussy nerds. They were the tiny weak people, cowardly and sickening.
>>
>>55352407
Brokk gets blinded by Loki biting him in the eyes and never flinches while making Mjolnir. he only fucks up the handle, because he can't see what he's doing.

sure they seem weak when compared to the Aesir, the Vanir, and the Jotun, but that's not a fair comparison.

I agree they come across as whiny, cowardly, sickening, tiny nerds tho. but they're still though in the eddas.
>>
>>55352558
You don't see any real fighting dwarfs, though. Closest I can think of is dwarf MURDERERS, but they tend to murder each other more often than not and they never do it honorably.
>>
>>55351824
They're also keem
>>
>>55352631
True. I didn't think about that.
Probably the biggest difference between Tolkien's dwarves and Norse dwarfs.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.