[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about schemer players that play manipulative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

How do you feel about schemer players that play manipulative characters? How do you deal with them? What methods do they use to get what they want and get away with it? What kind of backgrounds are typical or best suited for such characters and how would such characters fit a party? What benefits offers them join a party of adventurers?
>>
I'm married to one. She gets away with about half of her nonsense. The other half frustrates her a bit.

I think her characters join groups to form a wall of meat between her and the opposition.
>>
Halfway through the campaign they have to shout themselves hoarse (between games) and spend the rest of the story with a raspy whisper of a voice
>>
tbf i don't like that kind of players.
In my setting players are rather weak adventurers, weak meaning they don't hold power, titles, positions in socjety untill about 8 lvl, so when one of players tries to be manipulative i usually let them do it for a few sessions while carefullyweave trouble around tchem, then everything comes crashing down BECAUSE they thought that they were smarter then kings, guild leaders or kingpins of the world. When they enter the phase when the characters hold some power (either a lord or a renowned wizard etc) gameplay becomes more political and they are more careful, remebering last time they tried to outsmart everyone. They do not try and win it all as they know that there are more powerfull and experienced NPCs on political stage.
BUT if a player sees through my deceptions and prepares accordingly i let tchem win, after all I as a GM know everything from the backstage so i can shape the story and motivations of NPCs as i will, so if they can outsmart someone who has full control of the world, they deserve a prize.
BUT if they win this battle of wits, they bring attention of more powerfull Npcs to themselves and the political stage becomes harder.
tl;dr I punish them using plot if they try to be manipulative but i don't necessarily want tchem to loose, if they are smart enough, they are rewarded and challenged harder.
>>
>>55349797
oh, to clarify
I don't like that kind of players BECAUSE they think that they can manipulate the world of my setting, BUT if they learn and use the world to their andvantage and can think, that challenges me as a GM to find a way to challenge them, I find that very stimulating.
I simply hate pushy assholes who think i as GM owe them control over the world,
GM owes only fun and challange to the players
>>
>>55349797
>Only what I allow is fun1
>IT MY SETTING! DONT YOU DARE!
>Only If you are outsmart me on despite my world acting like a single omniscient creature I'll let iet it pass.
>But don't worry, I'll punish you for it as soon as possible.

Would you find this funny if it was you on the receiving end? Who hurt you so much tha the possibility of not being in total control scares you so much ? :/
>>
Generally I give them enough rope to hang themselves then watch them swing in the breeze because they're no where near as clever or manipulative as they think they are.

>Everyone wants to be Littlefinger until I make them actually scheme and roleplay and not just roll dice.
>>
>>55350308
Generally I give them enough rope to hang themselves then watch them swing in the breeze because they're no where near as strong or skilled as they think they are.
>Everyone wants to be Conan until I make them actually swordfight and not just roll dice.
>>
File: Wrongfun.jpg (246KB, 572x300px) Image search: [Google]
Wrongfun.jpg
246KB, 572x300px
I try to be a pretty good scheme-y player, but that's usually because I'm relegated to being the only one willing to be a social character in a lot of groups with whom I play.

Keep in mind I don't go for it in the sense of "I must be the kingpin of a crime syndicate by 3rd level," but I still like to maintain webs of useful contacts and talk my way out of trouble as often as possible. That kind of political intrigue/talky investigation stuff is what I live for in a game, which is why I like Dark Heresy so much.

It is kind of amusing being more socially/infiltration-y capable than the straightforward and pragmatic Kasrkin Inquisitor. He's a Guardsman's Guardsman's Guardsman, but not the greatest and cranking the Rumor Mill and sifting through to find useful information.

If you've got a player who just treats every single NPC they ever meet like an underling to be schmoozed into chains to serve them, then that player is no better than the magpie motherfucker who tries to turn a profit on every possible item they will ever come across in any situation ever witnessed. Both are equally unfun to play alongside or with as a GM.
>>
>>55347148

They're that guy players who try to force the other players to do what the player (not the character) wants.

The DM should really give every NPC +10 insight to stop this.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.