[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3rd edition DnD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 320695.jpg (40KB, 318x418px) Image search: [Google]
320695.jpg
40KB, 318x418px
Why did 3rd edition need to be replaced by 3.5 and why does everybody play 3.5 nowadays?
>>
Trolling aside, I'm actually curious about the answer to this too. I grew up with 3.0, but I rarely got to play it, and I wound up skipping over 3.5 entirely and played pathfinder rarely as well. This question kinda fascinated me all these years.
>>
>>55343356
3e had some probelms that 3.5 fixed, but this was in no way a sufficient overhaul to fix the whole of the broken system.
a few notable changes:
>Bards got more skill points, and their spell list was changed, to enhance their "jack of all trades" role.
>Clerics could now spontaneously cast Cure and Cause wounds of the "mass" varieties.
>Druid's animal companions now scale and advance as the Druid levels up, which means fewer dead animal companions.
>Fighter Bonus Feat list got an overhaul, many feat descriptions and functions changed.
>Monk's flurry changed to get a different advancement rate, and they got some new options for bonus feats (Still crippled by Multiple-attribute dependency)
>Paladins can summon their mounts, instead of the mount just always being there.
>Rangers got a bigger hit die, more skill points, revisions to favored enemy, and animal companion.
>Sorcerers can now change small things about their spell list when leveling up.
>Wizards had their spell specialization change, and familiar stat bonuses.

there's also a shit ton of changes to skills, feats, spells (in both name and function), the way damage reduction works, and some pieces of equipment.
>>
>>55343356
Even disregarding all of the strange corner cases, Haste annihilated any semblance of game balance because of the extra action.
>>
Spiked chains in 3.0 were fucking broken lmao
>>
File: DnD35_update_booklet.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
DnD35_update_booklet.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>55343381
All in all the changes were slight, and it was more of that they needed a reprinting of 3rd edition anyway to meet demand rather than a new edition was needed. Rather than just reprint the original books, they decided to just update the books with some errata.

They also published the changes online, so that people who had 3.0 didn't need to purchase the 3.5 books. Here's the broad overview document if you're curious about the scope of the changes.
>>
Every new edition has always been better than all the previous ones. People get insight into what was good and what was bad and change those things accordingly.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.