[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you call 40k a deconstruction of space opera?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1427221880728.png (52KB, 849x724px) Image search: [Google]
1427221880728.png
52KB, 849x724px
Would you call 40k a deconstruction of space opera?
>>
>>55342641
Not a purposeful one. It's sort of like when a bunch of NASA scientists can't figure out the solution for an impending crisis and then some retard looks up from making jet noises with his Legos and goes "why don't you just blow it up?" and it actually worked.
>>
I'd call it a space opera setting with plenty of grim dark stories set in it.
>>
No, just making something grimderp does not a deconstruction make.
>>
>>55342641
Nah, it's more of a... What do you call it when someone takes a bunch of cool, well thought-out ideas from other settings and then mashes them all together with no real thought about how everything got to be where it is?

Oh, right, "ripoff setting".
>>
>>55342641
No, and I may go as far to say OP isafag
>>
>>55342641
No.
>>
>>55342641
It's a selection of uninspired tropes smashed together to sell miniatures, and that's all it'll ever be. I like the setting but sometimes you gotta face the facts.
>>
>>55342641
40k was a mishmash of anything its original creators thought was cool, misinterpreted by a new generation of authors who tried to turn it into an Americanized progressing story instead of a tonal setting for a table top role playing and battle game, and then created a load of new characters with nothing to them except 'generic good hero space marine', 'untrustworthy aline good guy' and 'generic bad guy space marine'.

It's a Space Opera in that the current story is melodramatic, simplistic and comes off like episodes of a soap opera.

But Opera and Soap Operas are very very different.

Operas are self contained stories.
Soap Operas are endless, farmed out, and made as cliffhangerish as possible to guarantee continued viewings.
>>
>>55342641
No

"Maybe" the Administration of the imperium.
>>
File: ndgxh.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ndgxh.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
>>55342806
You put it better than I ever could, Anon.
>>
File: 1505054296400.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1505054296400.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>>55342641
40k is not a deconstruction of anything, it's rather a continuation of 1980s heavy metal aesthetics, British style absurd humor that grew serious because that was even funnier, and shameless (and thus funny) ripoffs of other franchises.

Actually if there's one thing that 40k isn't, it's Space Opera. Space Opera is about a grand over-arching plot, usually following the suffering or trials of one character or a cast of characters. 40k is a setting, not a story, it's a place in which stories occur.

LOTGH is a space opera. 40k is a world in which space operas occur.
>>
>>55342641
MAYBE when Rouge Trader first came out, but definitely not today.
>>
40k was more of a metal-fueled reaction to star trek-style utopian sci-fi which was popular in the 60s and 70s
>>
File: your sign.jpg (43KB, 495x500px) Image search: [Google]
your sign.jpg
43KB, 495x500px
>>55342806

>tfw someone thinks Space Opera isn't Soap Opera in SPACE!

Here's your sign.
>>
>>55342641
Nope, 40k is a running Joke.
I don't mean that as a insult.
It's literally jokes, parodies, a hand full of political commentary, all turned up to 11.

Which is Then packaged and sold by a board of directors so interested in wealth acquisition that they put Captain Hercules Lucullus Skywalker Master-Commander Poirot to shame

>>55345938
>I think every story in space, is a Space Opera
>>
>>55346110
>I think every story is a Soap Opera.

Yep, still got the sign, I see.
>>
Epic Fantasy
>>
>>55343217
>>55344194
I like these, especially the idea that the supreme edginess that I guess started like 3rd ed is even funnier and more British than the goofier power metal stuff that came before.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.