[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon Tabletop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

I'm sure this gets posted all the time, but: what Pokemon tabletop games are there out there? My two roommates want to try a tabletop game tonight and they both asked if there was a pokemon ttrpg.
>>
Sure is,

Its pretty alright, although combat can become a bogged down nightmare as I feel it tries to replicate the games too closely (aka, do loads math)

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Tabletop_United
>>
I actually thought about making a Pokemon RPG using the Cortex/+ system seen in Marvel Heroics and Firefly RPG.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YmvS5iQbeGLCxHxaAyjekJW0OcV0-ZmBoT657QJwVQ0/edit?usp=drivesdk

It's not complete but if you or anyone else wants to tackle it then go ahead. I've not been able to give it much time lately due to real life killing me.
>>
>>55325006
So looking through it seems very well polished, but I don't know if I care for the sheer amount of crunch that trainers alone seem to require. Do you need to so thoroughly stat trainers, or is it viable to gloss over that and leave trainers mostly to fluff?

>>55325177
Can you give me a quick rundown of the Cortex/+ system?
>>
>>55324948
There's Pokemon Tabletop United which is servicable, but requires extreme amounts of management. I.e.: each trainer has a character sheet with a long list of unique abilities, and each of their Pokemon has a sheet with 6 or more moves instead of 4, 3 or more abilities, and special things they can do. It basically turns into complete bullshit on the GMs side because when trying to plan for all that stuff, you end up forgetting the one ability that can completely sweep an encounter. The book itself is kind of a mess also. Some abilities dont work as written, some rules arent explained clearly or easy to find.The devs haven't really posted anything new in almost two years also, simply saying that PTU 2.0 is in the works. It works, but it's a crunchy mess.
>>
>>55325276
>>55325006
Hmm, yeah I'm starting to see what you mean. I was wowed by the apparent polish and design of PTU but the more I read, the more I don't like. I like how pokemon are more unique and useable than in the viddy, but I dislike pretty much everything else.
>>
>>55325218
So in Cortex, you build dice pools using different sections of your character sheet. Once you've gather the pool, you roll dice and take two dice for your action score and one dice to be your effect die (the number doesn't matter with the effect die, it's about the dice size). Think of it as Attack roll and damage rolls in DnD. A "Critical Hit" (also known as Extraordinary Success) is when your action score is 5 more than the target's action score (since all dice are contested by either an NPCs sheet or the GM's Doom Pool.) There is a bit more but that's the basic of it.
>>
No discussion about Pokemon on /tg/ is complete without mentioning pokerole.
pokeroleproject.wixsite.com/pokerole
It's a pretty good system, less work than ptu but also has less of a fanbase. You can normally find some people on the discord though.
>>
>>55325343
The one thing it did do well is that most Pokemon are viable or at least have one build that can compete with other stronger Pokemon, so at least there are very few actual shitmons.

You can try a more generic system. BESM isn't too bad, but has its own problems, and has a pocket monsters supplement. Mutants and Masterminds can work when you ignore all the superhero fluff. I'm sure GURPS has supplements you can work with, too.

Or, if you hate yourself like I do, you can create your own Pokemon system. I'm basically boiling PTU to its core elements (because I do think there's a strong core buried beneath all that crunch), returning to core videogame mechanics, and rebuilding it. It's slow going, but it is going.
>>
>>55325006
>>55325276
>>55325343
PTU's devs are working pretty hard on a serious revamp that takes a TON of the crunch out of the game, at the cost of giving up any pretenses of being accurate to the mechanics.

The tradeoff is...a bit concerning for some players.
>>
>>55325664
I knew they were working on an update, but why would abandoning videogame mechanics in favor of streamlined tabletop gameplay be concerning? Sounds like a great idea to me.
>>
>>55325664
>>55325739
If you're autistic enough to play this piece of crap, you're autistic enough to sperg out when they take your precious imaginary-creature-maths away.
>>
>>55325739
Pokemon levels are going from 1-100 down to 1-20, to match trainers which are coming from 1-50 to the same 1-20. They've also mentioned the range of damage rolls being halved, so some edge cases like heat wave and flamethrower become the same damage. Other things also being statuses getting a huge shake up and gutting most all the 'trainer combat' classes completely.

Most people are upset about the weirdness of levels getting so condensed. Its gonna take some getting use to having charmander and the like evolve at lv3, and then again at lv6/lv7. The good thing is each level will have multiple stat points and moves to be learned. The bad part is each level is each level will be a pretty considerable jump in power which will make GM encounter creation very swingy.

I'm withholding judgement till it comes out and i read it, but it seems like if you favor longer campaigns (like my group does) it wont fit for you.
>>
>>55325218
Its mainly jumping in thats hard to do. Once you get the trainers stated up, everything else goes by pretty well.

I'd suggest having a more 'pokemon' campaign, in that you don't GM the game like a meat grinder and instead focus on 'day in a life of a trainer' shenanigans and other suggest narritive things. Most PTU games fail early because of the tonal dissonance between pokemon and super-hardcore post apocalypse/dungeon world.
>>
>>55326304
Well it all seems interesting at the very least. I did always thinkbthat status effects needed to be drastically changed, so maybe I'll like the changes. I'll definitely look forward to what they release.
>>
>>55326524
If youre just looking through the core, id suggest looking at the Febuary playtest (and pokedex if you want to dive deep), as they reworked status conditions and abilities there. All the other packets only contain monor changes to some rulings and revamp a couple classes.
>>
>>55325664
When is going to come out?
>>
>>55328003
We don't know. Could be next couple months, could be a year. Just know they are working on it. They play test it by running a campaign with it before they give it to us, so who knows
>>
>>55325664

If it means that I don't need a goddamn google document sheet to keep track of all that shit, I'm willing to give it a shake.
>>
>>55329438
Personally my group has never needed it, and we play IRL. Though I can see why it's needed for some.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.