[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with concept RPG/Strategy game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

Hello, I am working on trying to create a tabletop game based off the HOI4 mod Kaiserreich wherein we would play a country in this alternate history and try to come out as the preeminent powers of the world after the second "Weltkrieg" or World War (which will be inevitable according to the lore.) I just need some tips and pointers for dice roll mechanics, ways to keep things organized and run a smooth game. Think Risk meets Axis and Allies meets Dungeons and Dragons meets Exalted. This is my concept so far: We us a laminated map as the board with little risk units to identify where your regiments are use the Exalted creation system to build the country but use the d20 system for Challenges, combat, events etc. If you think this is wrong or there is another system that would work better, I would love to hear any advice or reworks etc.

Here is the link to the wiki if you wanna know anything about the world of Kaiserreich.

http://kaiserreich.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Just open the image in a new tab to see the full picture in high quality.
>>
>>55317136
I like the idea behind Kaiserreich and it's one of the more plausible AU WW1 scenario's (1920 Treaty of Vienna is retarded. The Central Powers win because reasons, and the borderline collapsing Ottoman Empire annexes all of North Africa because reasons. Germany also annexes loads of African and Asian colonies despite its "non-existant navy" [quoting the developers here, not reality]).

That said, your concept sounds way too ambitious. You want a Risk-like Grand Strategy game but at the same time you also want to play combat out like a wargame using d20 units? Even video games with loads of calculations going on in the background can barely manage to do this kind of thing (and often compensate for this by having utterly retarded AI like in Total War). I think you should trim some fat off your ideas first: what can you drop, and what do you absolutely want to keep?

For example, you can choose to highly simplify the Risklike aspect of the game and emphasize the wargame aspect. Like in Risk, certain territories (based on population density?) grant a certain number of units every X number of turns, which you organize into armies. You can move a certain distance every time, and when units clash you move the world map off the table and initiate a wargame. This would be very time consuming though, and make the world map segment of the game so unsatisfying you might as well just drop that entirely and merely use the world map for references in certain scenarios.

The alternative is to just turn the game into an alternative Diplomacy game where combat is resolved either by diceroll or simply by who has the most units in combat.

To put it simply, you want the player to be both the general and the president. He can be one, but not the other. If you really want to flesh out both parts, be prepared: the game will get really tedious really fast.
>>
>>55317676
You make a REALLY good point. The game in itself is huge and complicated. I was planning on simplify the Risk aspect ten fold keeping every unit in a 1 to 1 basis (meaning that there will be separate unit TYPES such as artillery, planes etc) but instead of super complicating it, we were just gonna roll d20s for combat in multiple stages using the DnD 5th edition modifier system (Artillery: +2, Bombers: -1 etc) It IS super ambitious but all of my friends and colleagues are above average intelligence. My initial question is what do you think I should add or lose? I feel like I could lose the complicated aspects of Axis and Allies and simply make it a province to province type of combat (ww1 style, push boundaries lose boundaries) rather than focus on the battles themselves.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.