[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Purely magical "science" fiction and space opera?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 3

Continued from >>55299411.

For the past few years, I have been compulsively running a setting with spaceships, world-terraforming, Dyson spheres, laser guns, ansible-internet-connected computers and smartphones, televisions, memory uploads and VR sensoriums, mind-recording and mind-resleeving into new bodies, artificial intelligences, bioaugmentations and cybernetic implants (some of which are hereditary), controversies over implants, cloning, nanomachines, and so on. People travel to different planets. There are megacorporations.

However, all of it is literally magic, and the setting is Planescape's Great Wheel (focusing on the Outer Planes) with a touch of 4e's World Axis.

The spaceships are highly advanced spelljammers, world-terraforming is an alchemical balancing act of Inner Planar elements, the Dyson spheres hook up directly to the Inner Planes of fire/radiance/positive energy, the laser guns project arcane force, the ansible-internet-connected computers and smartphones are matrices of divination and illusion, the televisions work through scrying, the memory uploads and VR sensoriums work ala the Society of Sensation, the mind-resleeving into new bodies is advanced reincarnation at the hands of the Believers of the Source and the Dustmen, the artificial intelligences are incorporeal constructs, the bioaugmentations and cybernetic implants are biomancy (also hereditary), there are huge controversies over things like altralothic implants, the clones are illusory simulacra and necromantic clones, the nanomachines are elementites, etc.

There is planet-hopping, plane-hopping, exploration of the uncharted reaches of the infinite multiverse, portal networks ranging from intra-city to inter-planar, and dozens-miles-long capital ships. The Great Wheel's factions are cyberpunk-like monolothic megacorporations, only with more benevolence and PC-appeal.

Have you ever played in a setting with this kind of magic?

What sci-fi-isms would you like to see magic-ified?
>>
File: 97a70ff92b378875e4e83a19f4c7e8fe.jpg (886KB, 1000x1470px) Image search: [Google]
97a70ff92b378875e4e83a19f4c7e8fe.jpg
886KB, 1000x1470px
>>55300726

I cannot be so sure that is what the writers of 2e Planes of Chaos had in mind when writing up Bast and her Dream Hunters.

>>55303484

It is not especially difficult to piece together "rules" for consistent magic given several editions' worth of D&D lore to work with.

>>55303500

I focus on the planar races for the most part. The most influential planar species are the archons of Mount Celestia, the guardinals of Elysium, the eladrin of Arborea, the modrons and inevitables of Mechanus, the rilmani of the Outlands, the baatezu of Baator, the yugoloths of Gehenna and the Grey Waste, the tanar'ri of the Abyss and their press-ganged obyrith and loumara servitors, and the various elementals and genies of the Inner Planes. (Sorry, but the slaadi were screwed over by either Ssendam and Ygorl, or Primus, depending on whom you ask.)

Humans are still a major species in the Prime, of course, and it is human souls that make up the bulk of Outer Planar petitioners and thus outsiders.

People seem to like playing outsiders, especially celestials and fiends. Across the various players I have GMed for, there is a certain primal appeal to being an outright heavenly being, or a dark and profane entity.

>>55303725

I have been running this for a few years, and I have never used a *traditionally* class-based system for it. At most, I usually use a system with "classes" that determine a character's combat capacities, but that is about it.
>>
>>55308858
>>55308987

Not OP, bumping to irritate autistic purists, rock on OP.
>>
File: 73f554d7a67a84a817d07f2d89572d61.jpg (893KB, 849x1200px) Image search: [Google]
73f554d7a67a84a817d07f2d89572d61.jpg
893KB, 849x1200px
>>55311546

Again, are there any particular sci-fi-isms that you would like to see filtered through a magical, planar-fantasy lens?
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.