[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone talk to me about role master? i have been having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Rolemaster-Editions.jpg (66KB, 600x368px) Image search: [Google]
Rolemaster-Editions.jpg
66KB, 600x368px
Can someone talk to me about role master? i have been having an itch for games with a little more complexity, after reading anima and knowin it was inspired by rolemaster i wanted to know more about it

is it really that complicated?
is there an example of combat and skill resolution?
where to start with it?
>>
Yes and no on the complication.

Character Creation? Complicated as fuck. It's a skill point system, with points derived from stats. Skill cost is dependant on class.

Leveling Up? Complicated as fuck with aforementioned skill point system and an additional bullshit rolling for stats to see if you gained or lost stats from their potential maximums.

Actual play? Not that complicated, as its exploding percentile die versus a target number. But it is chart heavy as a motherfucker.. There's a reason its called chartmaster/ rolebastard among grogs.

If you play have players print out relative weapon charts and crit/fumble charts, it beats the shit out of using one book for everything. Oh and some splats ruin everything (fuck you aether and nether magic).

I'd look to see if there is a lets play on youtube, it's much easier to watch it in actual play, then reading about it, especially from my ass who hasn't played it in like half a decade.
>>
>>55299207
I have never played it, but some guys in a former group I was in did. They had some abhorrent stories about the system encouraging people to steal the spotlight, one-up one another and drag everything out, because every little shitty thing gets you XP (lighting a campfire, cooking, skinning slain beasts...). Charts were supposedly exploitable as fuck and the XP rewards completely unbalanced. If I remember correctly, they said that landing the killing blow on enemies gives that character a massive XP bonus, and giving support (healing etc.) almost none at all.

Because they played this system for so long, they were pretty much ruined as roleplayers. Their idea of roleplaying is having hour-long descriptions of what their characters do in their idle time. It was fucking boring.
>>
Since it's compe out, other games have grown much more complex, so it's not that avater of gomblex it used to be, that's just a meme.

What really sets it apart imo is that it's more consequent than modern games. Be a fighter, go into your first fight, be unlucky, lose your sword arm to a random crit. Shit: The Happening. There are generally a lot of tables that will slow down the game unless your GM knows what he's doing. The game is not really that complex in the sense that your awesome character builds take 3 times as long to make - it's more complex in the sense that the in-game randomization might have unexpected results like the aforementioned sword arm, and consequently take your character on wild rides, or just kill him.

I have fond memories of playing it while I was younger but I haven't touched it in a while. Trying it out isn''t the worst thing you can do though.
>>
>>55301360
They also said it was a bookkeeping nightmare (tracking XP earned by doing what action) and that combat was random as lethal as fuck.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.