[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 307
Thread images: 101

File: Magic Primer v3 (+0).png (2MB, 1400x1660px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Primer v3 (+0).png
2MB, 1400x1660px
Browbeat edition! (A spell that essentially allows an opponent to counter it freely, usually by paying life or having damage done to them.)

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
https://mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>55235906
>>
File: Interrogate2.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Interrogate2.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Here's an example of a Browbeat-style card. Still trying to get the balance down. And yes, I'm perfectly aware this is a Red card with a Black effect. The original Browbeat cards had the same pattern of being out of color.
>>
File: Fearful Decision.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fearful Decision.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>55296301
Huh, what do you know. I was just brainstorming forthis sort of effect.

>>55296325
I like it. Likely a fairly easy decision for the person if they have something they really want to hold onto though. I would say that browbeat-style cards are also the best place to do some color-pie bending, as long as the penalty is in color. Makes it ultimately up to the opponent if they want to give you an efficient spell in line with what you're doing already, or take an out-of-color effect that might sting less.
>>
>>55296564
I think better wording would be
>Exile target spell unless its controller discards two cards.
Though I'd just change it to counter.

>Interrogate
Thanks.

>Huh, what do you know. I was just brainstorming forthis sort of effect.
If you're the guy who mentioned Browbeat and Dash Hopes in the last thread, I based this thread off that post. I'm a bit partial to it since Temporal Extortion is one of my favorite cards ever. I'll have to try a few more effects like these later.
>>
>>55296675
Nah, different guy. I'm mulling ideas for a spell-slinging set, and I figured Black would need at least one card to actually be able to mess with the stack and counter spells in some form.

And yeah, I think that phrasing might work better. Only makes a difference when they have multiple spells on the stack, though the fact that it's already 4 cmc means it doesn't really need more downsides.
>>
I know it's not a browbeat card, but I just thought of this. Not sure if it works.

Twisted Brain Transferral 2UBR
Sorcery

Exile Twisted Brain Transferral.
You control target player during that player's next turn.
Target player controls you during your next turn.
>>
>>55296862
Should work, though I'd recommend making it so the player you gain control of gains control of you. As-is, you could gain control of one player then a different player gains control of you.
>>
File: Hold at Gunpoint.jpg (208KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Hold at Gunpoint.jpg
208KB, 744x1039px
I don't like punisher effects
>>
>>55296922
That makes sense, appreciate the input! With this change, how does the card look? Too powerful? I figured it was cheap since most mind control effects are around 9-10 mana, but this is 3 colors and has a significant downside.

Twisted Brain Transferral 2UBR
Sorcery [Mythic]

Exile Twisted Brain Transferral.
You control target player during that player's next turn.
That player controls you during your next turn.
>>
File: Devils Dilemma.png (271KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Devils Dilemma.png
271KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Lantern Attendent.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lantern Attendent.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>55299528
Oh, now that's a very cool card. Not only are both effects very in line with Red, but it forces an opponent into a tricky situation where they have to weigh what you had in hand versus what you might draw. And of course, even if they do guess that you lined up 6+ mana worth of spells to cast should they not let you draw, the draw will still be quite worthwhile
>>
>GR bards that accumulate verse counters on enchantments for scalable effects

>RB entropy-cult with suspend/vanishing and time counter support

>BU explorer guild with Level Up mechanic allowing for instant speed levels

>UW illusion-ghost soldiers with cumulative upkeep and rewards for aging

>WG nomads that fortify lands temporarily, and the fortifications grow with charge counters that accumulate as they 'move'

Is it worth building on?
>>
>>55300197
Seems like some interesting ideas. The only thing I might say is that Suspend isn't quite as good of a fit for Red in regards of having to wait for effects, but messing around with Vanishing seems interesting there.

It certainly feels like the entire set is going to have a lot of different counters being spread around though. Verse counters, charge counters, time counters, age counters, level counters. The fact that all the mechanics tie into this means that you could do some pretty interesting things that work across factions by simply interacting with counters as a whole.
>>
>>55300228
Suspend can work for red - look at Greater Gargadon, Rift Bolt, and Pardic Dragon for examples. And yeah, I was planning on having counters in general be a central theme of the set, with +1/+1 and -1/-1 in some of the effects.
>>
File: no-name.png (275KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
no-name.png
275KB, 375x523px
>>55296564
This is a blue-black effect. Black doesn't get to mess with opponent's spells, and exiling them is more powerful than countering them anyway. This is especially an issue when the alternative option is instant-speed discard, which is rare and powerful.

Make it blue-black or ditch the concept entirely. I don't know how this should be costed, because if it reads
>Counter target spell unless its controller discards two cards.

And costs 1UB, it's basically worse than Cancel (and that's a really low bar), but if it costs UB it's basically a Counterspell because no one wants to discard two cards for cheap spells and at late game they may not even have two cards to discard.

Pic related is how I would do it. Playable in UB control, but not a Counterspell. Could add life loss as an additional payment ("and pays 2 life").
>>
>>55300262
I'm not saying Red doesn't get suspend or that it can't work, just that in the context of a set where not every color is getting Suspend, it doesn't fit Red as well because it's inherently a mechanic that rewards long-term thinking and patience.

In addition to that, the way you described it as an Entropy Cult makes Vanishing sound like it's much more fitting. A Cult that thinks everything is going to slowly fade also doesn't seem like the sort to patiently wait several turns for a slightly cheaper fireball.

In addition, Vanishing occurs on the board, while Suspend occurs in exile. Vanishing works better with the other mechanics of the other factions, since that means a card that could put another counter of the same type on a permanent would work for all of them, whereas a card to interact with the Suspended time counters would specifically need to be built to do so.

Also, I would say that you may want to stick with only these counters, or at least limit yourself to only one of the two of +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters. Having 5 different kinds being thrown around is already a lot, and trying to include the two that conflict with eachother on top of that feels like a bit much. Furthermore, I would say that since all of the current counters are more beneficial to have more of, then the best thing to do would either include +1/+1 counters and have counters in the set be almost universally beneficial, where putting them on something is good and removing them is bad, or make it so the existing counters you have offer bonuses to power and toughness on some cards as needed, with -1/-1 counters serving as your bad type of counter. Either way, I would caution against going overboard. Focus on the keywords first, and see what you have room for.
>>
>>55300273
>>55296564
> I would say that browbeat-style cards are also the best place to do some color-pie bending, as long as the penalty is in color. Makes it ultimately up to the opponent if they want to give you an efficient spell in line with what you're doing already, or take an out-of-color effect that might sting less.
>>
>>55298188
Last two lines should be just one line. Big downside, but I think it would still be worth playing, hoping you can kill the opponent before your next turn begins. As for cost, U and R are both unnecessary. Though if it's for a tri-color set, I can understand.
>>
File: Beholder.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Beholder.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>55296301

Part of an Illithid-centered horror tribal thing using the FR setting. I suppose you could think of its abilities are browbeats.
>>
File: Priestess of Lolth.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Priestess of Lolth.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>55303177
Part of a cycle. Every race has a 2 CMC (split mana) 2/2 with two abilities, one of each color.
>>
File: Wildshapers.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Wildshapers.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>55303231
Apart from the small mana cost of the abilities, the secondary cost is generally significant, but play to the strengths of the faction. Illithids have a lot of card draw and deny draws to the enemy. Drow are really good at getting stuff to sacrifice and making those sacrifices very efficient. Gnolls have several abilities which allow for and reward multiple land plays on a turn.
>>
File: Orc Witchdoctor.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Orc Witchdoctor.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>55303350
An exception to this is the orcs, because their tribal identity includes "someone else pays for this" and/or "you get what you pay for". So they pay for the regeneration with an extended sick leave or they pay for the +1 to power with a -1 to toughness.
>>
File: EXT Gold Payoff.jpg (1MB, 1875x1569px) Image search: [Google]
EXT Gold Payoff.jpg
1MB, 1875x1569px
Tweaked versions of faction rares and uncommons.
>>
File: EXT Misc.jpg (697KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
EXT Misc.jpg
697KB, 1875x1046px
>>55303827
As well as some other odds and ends.
>>
>>55303177
>>55303231
>>55303350
>>55303406
Something I would say is that some of these abilities feel a bit pushed n order to try to make them fit in at one mana. However, I would say the only one where it's major is the Priestess of Lolth, as the effects there to regenerate something or give it hexproof are fairly cheap effects whenever they show up elsewhere. Having it simply tap rather than needing to sacrifice a creature would be better in that regard. The sacrifice just makes it barely worth it, especially compared to the rest of the cycle. It also feels weirdly out of place being the only enemy color pair in a cycle of allied color pairs.
>>
This isnt necessarily related, though it could be i suppose. Would using harpies as a sapient bird person race be too out of line with their portrayal so far in magic, especially Theros? From a flavor perspective, fantasy races that dont use their race as their creature type bugs me, including stuff like aven and leonin. A race of bird people would help fill a creature grid (though i dont technically need it), but autism makes me not like aven/birds. I know harpies in a lot of non western fantasy stuff are shown as pretty much just bird people but in magic theyre pretty much just a kind of monster. Do you think its too much a reach to use them as an actual race...? I thought about sirens but the flavor isnt right since there's no association with the sea, whereas harpies are a little more flavor neutral (and also I feel it registers as "bird person" with no other information better than siren does but maybe thats just me).
>>
>>55306620
I think it would be fine to do so. Aven are more specifically birds because they also have birdlike heads and similar things. I personally don't mind that being the case for some of the bestial races in that regard.

That said, as with the Sirens from Theros and now Ixalan, there's no real issue with doing different things with them. The main key I would say is that two creatures of the same type across planes should have enough in common that they're very clearly the same tribe.

In that regard for Harpies, I would say that their depiction thus far has been as a very savage Black tribe, thus branching them out into Blue might be a bit odd, but it's nothing that couldn't be sorted out flavorwise. If anything, I'd say they'd be a better fit as Red/Black for something that roosts in mountains and is very selfish and wild, although that would be if you wanted it as a minor tribe, since Red doesn't get much flying.
>>
>>55306620
It's fine as long as you can justify it. Like Naga vs. Snake. It's a matter of preference mostly. Though do take into account flavor. Harpies, for example, are certainly Bird people, but likely wouldn't fit into the Soldier mold most Aven inhabit.
>>
>>55306756
>Sirens
On this note, I want to point out how Sirens can be interpreted differently, either as Bird people, or as mermaids. Indeed, numerous languages have a word for mermaid that is derived from "siren."

Be mindful that your interpretation of a type fits the setting. For example, Amonkhet Zombies =/= Theros Zombies =/= Innistrad Zombies.
>>
>>55306756
>>55306764
This was my second problem. I actually kind of have a flavor reason for WU (association with winds and infrastructure, specifically as couriers), but that doesnt really "feel" like a magic harpie as established by the fact all previous harpies had been black and associated savage cruelty. What I was thinking of goinflg for was that they like money/artifacts/shiny things but it still seems weird in light of previous harpies. There would be black ones but theyd be in the minority, flavorfully vulture like.
>>
>>55306806
Yeah, although I think magic has gone firmly for the bird Sirens. No reason you couldn't do the other type, or make them Siren Merfolk or something to help in that regard, though it would be odd to have a drastic difference.

And yeah, it depends a lot on the setting, but the key is that they share those core traits. Amonkhet, Theros, and Innistrad zombies vary quite a bit in how they crop up, but as a whole they're all still walking corpses.

>>55306844
Yeah, it's an issue if you want them in Blue/White, just due to how they've already been established. I'd say you'd have an easier time filling that role with Sirens honestly, as not only are they less monstrous, but they're also within one of those colors. Plus, even if they are about money and shiny things, that still makes them feel more UB rather than WU.
>>
>>55306886
The money thing would just be to explain why theyd take on roles as a courier (which I think is justifiably white). Like I said, I think the problem with sirens is they are just heavily associated with the ocean, and the setting is very nearly the polar opposite (all inland, theres technically at least one coast in the big picture but its just mostly a geographical thing). Also like I said Im not totally cool with, while magic sirens have all been bird people, siren not totally evoking "bird person" the way harpy does.

I dont need a bird people race tehnically speaking, I could just use regular birds to fill out flyer spots, just for some reason the gut feeling I have is bird people would feel right here. Harpy as a sapient race sounded like a cool thing but they havent previously been shown that way and tehnically the colors theyve been in previously doesnt support WU's need for small flyers.
>>
>>55307026
Well, it's up to you. In terms of a custom set, I'm not sure as many people would mind, since Harpies have been rather underutilized as a whole. If you feel like you can sell the flavor and make it work, I'd say go for it.
>>
>>55307064
I mean, theyre not as iconic as zombies, but I'm afraid of it feeling too weird. I dont want it to be like if they made a plane where there was a tribe of RG zombies. Usually iconic tribes are in at least one color always. Harpies have a lot more breathing space as there are very few but eh.
>>
>>55307155
Yeah. Personally I don't see much issue with including Sirens even in a landlocked plane. I mean, Lorwyn had merfolk without legs in a world without oceans at all.
>>
>>55307406
I mean, what does it mean to be a siren if there is no ocean or sailors or anything? A merfolk to most people is just a fish person. Thats kinda what I meant about harpies being more flavorfully neutral.
>>
>>55307523
I mean, the core idea of a siren is that they single in a beautiful way that lures people into danger. That could work just as well on a river, a lake, a canyon, cliffs, a bog, a desert, basically anywhere someone could potentially get into trouble by listening.

And even for Ixalan that doesn't seem to be firmly the case, since from what I've heard the Sirens there seem to prefer to steer people away sometimes.

The core of a Siren is singing, either with wings or fins, and involving their surroundings in some way. What if the reason Sirens are White is that they build forts and traps around their nests and then sing to lure outsiders into them? There's more ways to harm someone with lovely singing than just them crashing a boat.
>>
>>55307579
Even in Ixalan though they seem to be asssociate with the ocean which is how I figure they split the difference. Also they seem to be generally pirates which are not really nice guys, I'm sure luring people into danger is still part of their schtick.

I dunno. I guess your thing isnt tecnically harder to buy then "harpies are white because integrating into society allowed them to get money easily and perform roles flying things make easier" but it feels like a bit more of a stretch to me. I'll think about it but the main difference beteen the two to me is I think its very hard to delineate the general concept of a siren from "ocean monsters that lure people into danger" versus harpies which i dont think most people think of as anything other than bird monsters with no other attachments, though admittedly I think most people would picture them as evil (but same with sirens).
>>
>>55307754
Yeah, I'm mainly pointing out that there is a variety of ways to handle them. I think you'd be safer using Sirens from a color perspective, but I can definitely see Harpies being easier from an overall flavor one, since they have less baggage.

I think you can go with whichever you prefer and be fine, although I would say that integrating into White for monetary reasons doesn't quite feel like enough. Perhaps if they were already heavily communal in some regard, but I'm not sure. Doing something for pay isn't a motivation very strictly tied to any one color.
>>
>>55307919
The color thing is the real bitch for me. Sirens already being blue makes it less a stretch to put them in UW.

The feel Im kind of going for is kinda Orzhov/alms collector/Gwafa Hazid. They like worldy goods and will be part of a system to get them. Its a pretty thin line. But white does have a penchant for that sort of feel I think (also mechanically white likes trinkets but i dont know if that mechanical facet will be a thing).
>>
>>55308128
Well, for Orzhov, they're half-Black, so the Greed makes sense there. As for Gwafa, he's a character from Bant, which is a world without Black mana. Even if he's a really greedy dude, that wouldn't necessarily reflect in his color identity.

I think it's less about White liking worldly goods, and more about seeing them as necessary for civilization. White's cards that care about money are usually more about taxes, legal authority, and then putting those taxes towards the benefit of all.
>>
>>55308194
Oh, I dont knownifnits necessarily a greed thing. Maybe more like a fascination? I haven't put a whole lot of thought into exactly what their culture or whatever is since that will depend on what exactly they are. Sirens would probably be different for example.
>>
>>55308368
Yeah. I'm not saying it's not White for them to like money, just that it might not be enough to justify it alone.

Either way, it sounds like you're putting thought into this, so I'd say to brainstorm a bit and come up with something you like first and foremost.
>>
>>55308492
I think i just give up on the harpy thig to be honest. The dealbreaker to me is that too many existing ones would be black. For example, a cool thing is when you make a new or put a spotlight on an old underused tribe is to make a lord. But, if i were to make a WU harpie lord which would be the colors theyre in in my set, you couldnt really play them with the black harpies of which i think all of them are. Thats just kinda lame. You cant really do 3 color. I guess it could be one color and you could choose to use the old black harpies or the new white ones or something. But theres still nothing previous. That just feels wrong to me. Its jot likewerewolves where there just
like 3 anyway, and its also not like if harpies were to be a continued thing that theyd always been in uw (i think werewolves will always be part green when they show up from now on).
>>
File: Priestess of Lolth.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Priestess of Lolth.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>55304330
>However, I would say the only one where it's major is the Priestess of Lolth, as the effects there to regenerate something or give it hexproof are fairly cheap effects whenever they show up elsewhere. Having it simply tap rather than needing to sacrifice a creature would be better in that regard. The sacrifice just makes it barely worth it, especially compared to the rest of the cycle.

I'd rather improve the effects than remove the sacrifice: sacrifice is a huge part of the drow's tribal identity. Here's an improvement, hopefully.

>It also feels weirdly out of place being the only enemy color pair in a cycle of allied color pairs.

In theory, at some point it will be a 10-card cycle, with every color pair represented. I just need to figure out which races I'd like to fit the other colors (dwarves are finished as the red and white race as well)
>>
>>55309782
I can see that. I do think those effects are more improved. The constant recursion is nice, though since it requires fodder it isn't quite so easy to abuse. Regenerate and hexproof stack a bit weirdly, though it also basically guarantees the target will survive nearly anything.
>>
So, I'm trying to make some cards with Lorwyn elves. Anyone know a good place I can find pictures of horned elves?
>>
>>55312974
To be frank, unless youre set building, I would just use official art if its for a plane with a very specific aesthetic. I have a preference for using noncreatures for creatures when doing that but in general I think the aesthetic is importnant for just random fun cards and nothing matches better than whats already official. Im sure that is a controversial opinion.
>>
File: fourgeneralsonegun.jpg (335KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
fourgeneralsonegun.jpg
335KB, 1875x523px
Tinkered around with MSE for the first time in a while, made a handful of potential commanders. Also, a gun, which is what I actually set out to make.

The flintlock is very nearly Exert, in that you can use it for a massive bonus but it needs to be reloaded as a full action. It does break if you hand it to something with vigilance, but that feels flavorful enough to work. Might be too big of a buff, I haven't done equipment in forever.

Sulemin is a redo of a very, very old card of mine based around a pirate theme, using Mairsil's exile-and-counter style of trigger to be more useful as a commander. Gaining another potential stack of lifegain with each re-cast or flicker is the reason his ability is one-and-one and not Kambal's two-and-two.

Wynne was probably where I should have stopped. I tried to think of anything even remotely interesting that could, in theory, be used next to Beckett Brass. I wound up going with a soulbond theme (flavorful if you soulbond her to your commander), with the idea being that there's no one else you'd rather have backing you in a barfight. Probably far exceeds what Soulbond should do, even as a commander, but I feel it's a worthy thought experiment nonetheless. Also considered variants with explore, goad, topdeck exile shenanigans, merging Kaho with Jhoira, and other bad ideas.

Damsel Fausori is built to be a vaguely interesting political card in colors that rarely have access to politics. You naturally become a very unappealing target while she's out, she's cheap enough to recast a decent number of times, and I know plenty of people who read "give up card advantage" and consider it tantamount to losing the game. Seems like it would at least make Spikes salty.

Orchid's another thought experiment. I don't really know how to describe her outside of "a creature that can exert for situational spot removal, is probably an okay voltron commander, and is very painful to block."
>>
>>55313423
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the second version of the Flintlock which might make it a little more balanced.

Trusty Flintlock [2]
Artifact - Equipment
Equip [2]
Trusty Flintlock does not untap during your next untap step
As long as Trusty Flintlock is equipped to a creature, it has "[T]: Trusty Flintlock deals (2 or 3) damage to target creature" and "Tap equipped creature: Untap Trusty Flintlock".
>>
File: Concealed Carrier (1).jpg (199KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Concealed Carrier (1).jpg
199KB, 744x1039px
>>55313526
Definitely prefer this purely flavorwise. It feels a little cheap for colorless repeatable, abeit slowly so, removal.
>>55313423
Damsel Fausori doesnt feel black to me. Is there a reason its black?

Im not sure why Orchid has bushido. i mean I know flavorwise but I got the imoression this was mostly a mechanical premise. Im not a big fan of keyword mishmash unles it does interesting things like time spiral. If you want samurai id take away afflict and have some other punishment for blocking.

I love soulbond and Wynne is is cool soulbond dude so not much else to say. Doesnt break much new ground and I think soulbond has room to grow but fair.

3 mana feel s cheap for pick and hoose exile based discard with additional upside but maybe Im wrong. Tidehollow sculler is close I guess but is closer to an o ring effect.
>>
File: Unchecked Agriculture 2.png (260KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Unchecked Agriculture 2.png
260KB, 375x523px
I'm fucking plastered yet posting on ccg. Where did it all go wrong.
>>
File: Despair.png (258KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Despair.png
258KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Holistic Approach.png (250KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Holistic Approach.png
250KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Surge of Power.png (282KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Surge of Power.png
282KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Sly Stacker.jpg (207KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Sly Stacker.jpg
207KB, 744x1039px
>>55314858
>>
>>55314858
>>55315088
Also I realized I wanna switch the wagers on these.
>>
>>55303827
>>55303844
I really like the flavor text on a lot of these cards, expecially Dormu
>>
>>55315460
Thanks! My end goal once I'm done with this set is to print it off and draft it with my playgroup, so I'm glad to hear that the flavor text doesn't come across as cheesy XD .
>>
>>55315071
> Flavour text
I don't know, maybe something about how everything come with a price, but every price is negotiable?

Not a fan of the card though, I'm afraid it will either do too little or allow a billion infinite combo. It's a card that could only exist to be abused.
>>
>>55313526
Tapping Equipment? Don't think I like this idea. I mean, this is the point where you have to ask yourself if it's really even an Equipment anymore. As for the idea of firearms, I personally prefer using counters to represent ammunition, then removing one to ping.
>>
>>55315071
Looks like I'd be pretty broken. Like with necropotence for example.
>>
>>55318636
Necropotence is broken. Doesn't mean this card is.

I'm not saying this card isn't broken, just that I can't think of any activated ability that costs life that would become abusable if it costed 1 life less.
>>
>>55318839
Wall of blood goes +inf/+inf.
There is also Yawgmoth's bargain, of course.
But yeah, you are right, it's actually less broken than I thought.
>>
>>55318909
Wall of Blood has Defender, so any combo involving this + Wall of Blood would also need a third piece that removes Defender before it gets game-breaking. I mean it's still an Inf/Inf Defender, but that's basically just the equivalent of Deathtouch + Indestructible on a Defender. Any evasion gets past it (and removal, of course).

Yawgmoth's bargain is B& anyway...

>>55315071
Well at the very least we know the card has potential to be game-breaking depending on its environment, so it should cost more than CMC 2. Make it {2}{W/B}{W/B}, give it some nice small ETB to compensate and call it a day.
>>
File: Artoria Pendragon Saber.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Artoria Pendragon Saber.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
So, autism called and I felt inspired to make this thing. I'm sure the balance is all over the place, but the fun thing is that you can mix Masters/Servant however you want.
F/SN spoilers
>>
File: servants.jpg (708KB, 1871x1046px) Image search: [Google]
servants.jpg
708KB, 1871x1046px
>>55319215
It would take fucking forever to post them individually.
>>
File: masters.jpg (570KB, 1871x1046px) Image search: [Google]
masters.jpg
570KB, 1871x1046px
>>55319327
The masters.
>>
>>55319215
>>55319327
Use the frame with four spaces so these things can have three loyalty abilities and be actual planeswalkers instead of glorified enchantments.

>>55319387
These are all boring and weak. U and WB seem to be the best ones. Consider making Servant a planeswalker type.
>>
File: Image.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>55296325
> And yes, I'm perfectly aware this is a Red card with a Black effect. The original Browbeat cards had the same pattern of being out of color.
Way too stray from colorpie. "Discard two cards" or even "Discard two cards at random" is also not red but would be less weird. But choose what cards the other player discards is way too black-specific and doesn't fit the premises of red. (while could fit a color like blue).

>>55296564
pic related, also see >>55296675
> I think better wording would be
>Exile target spell unless its controller discards two cards.
> Though I'd just change it to counter.

>>55299528
Interesting, very bluffy card.
>>
>>55318222
The second version still requires a creature to function and explores design space not currently used by many cards, if any. The first version gives the bonus only to a creature, making it less like a combat trick. While ammunition counters work, I intentionally avoided them with this design because you still have to reload after every shot and it's not sensible to say "but doubling season though". Bullets don't grow on trees.
>>
>>55319327
Heracles is probably overpowered, considering it deals commander damage.
>>
>>55320122
>Way too stray from colorpie.
Yeah, that's what Browbeat-style cards do. I said that. Why did you even bring this up?
>>
File: EXT Misc 3.jpg (656KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
EXT Misc 3.jpg
656KB, 1875x1046px
>>55303844
Some new stuff as well as some revisions.
>>
>>55320524
Because while its true that Browbeat-style cards stray further form the colorpie, it doesn't break it completely. The effect you/he chose doesn't even make sense at red (choosing cards for your opponent to discard).
>>
>>55320703
> Jaljunan Naga
I think it would be more interesting if the second ability was taunt ("all creates able to block this create do so"). Synergize greatly with deathtouch, and seems to fit the flavor you are going for.

> Purify the Unnatural
Seems quite overcosted. You could throw some "destroy target enchantment" and "destroy target blocking creature" as well.

> Pierce the Heart
Feels weird. It is exactly like Vengeance, only a lot cheaper. (and I'm not 100% how much that effect fits white now a days)

> Ambition of the Decayed
> Ambition of the Guard
If the plan was to make it a cycle or something, Ambition of the Guard seems very underpowered. Maybe it could spawn two 1/1 instead of only 1?

> Hidden Edge
(W) instant that gives +1/+0 and first strike seems pretty mediocre.
>>
>>55315051
Compare to Gift of Paradise. I'm not sure if not untapping balances this card if it just costs G. I also don't think "agriculture" as a concept as a Red thing.

>>55315061
If it matters, Despair is already the name of a card. Well, one half of a split card but whatever.

>>55315086
Is this supposed to turn single target stuff into all-opponent stuff AND juice up the damage? I'm comparing this to Ember Maw Hellion's mana cost, and the cost to Overload a spell, and this feels like it should cost a fuckton more. Also, semantics, but "surge" feels like a name for a one-off effect, not a name for a continuous effect.
>>
>>55323412
I think the ideal is that while the Browbeat's secondary overall effect could be out of color, it should still be accomplished in a way that is within color.

For example, a Blue browbeat effect could be a 'return to bottom of library' thing, which is functionally destroying something, but is still overall Blue in execution.
>>
File: 80.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
80.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>55323412
>Because while its true that Browbeat-style cards stray further form the colorpie, it doesn't break it completely.
Are you the arbiter of the color pie now? How is straight-up draw Red? How ia mill Red? How is counterspell Black? How is extra turns Black?
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>55320703

if you are planning this for a limited environment, I would bump ambition up to mythic since it's probably too bomby at rare. Otherwise, I really like them! Nice, clean design.
>>
File: Solar Ritual.jpg (182KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Solar Ritual.jpg
182KB, 744x1039px
Wanted to upgrade Channel the Suns, think I got a bit carried away. Let me know if it's too much.
>>
>>55324462
>spend 2G to ramp 5 times
>>
>>55324462
Like >>55324554 said way too good.

Just because there's a card that makes 5 mana with one of each color, doesn't mean you can put an effect on the same card that does something that would be strong enough to cost one of each color otherwise.

I think more interesting would be a Green card that could add a couple mana of any color of your choice, and then search for basic lands that can produce the color of manas spent on the graveyard ability, but it still needs to be costed as the Ramp that it is in both cases.
>>
File: no-name.png (248KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
no-name.png
248KB, 375x523px
Is this too powerful for a 2-mana creature?
>>
>>55324999
Double evasion like that means it's almost impossible to block. But it dies to removal, and it's not in a good tribe, so it should be fine.
>>
>>55324999
Check Ixalan spoilers to find out
>>
>>55324999
I think it is a bit pushed with both Flying and Menace. The multicolor helps, but as a common I think it'd be safer at 3.
>>
>>55324554
>>55324961
I'm an idiot. Didn't even think about using the mana for its own exile ability. How would you rate it without the activated ability? As for the suggested idea, how about
>Add [number] mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool. For each color of mana added to your mana pool, search your library for a basic land card that could produce mana of that color and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
>>
>>55325456
Without the effect it's just a strictly better Channel the Suns. Being an instant helps, but it also being 1 mana cheaper feels odd on top of that.
>>
File: Raging Hellfire Elemental.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Raging Hellfire Elemental.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>55320703
Arborback stomper has 1 toughness less than gemstone guardian and is placed at uncommon. you really gotta put some extra degenerate value on it if you want to honor the thragtusk legacy.
>>
>>55325624
I felt like Channel was overpriced. But I guess it makes sense to make it 3G. Just wish I could do something better with the exile ability. Land with a basic land type enters the battlefield, tutor for a land with a different basic lans type?
>>
>>55326152
I would say you could make it a Socery at 3 cmc, have it add the mana, and then make the exile effect cost 3 cmc to search for one land.

It doesn't have to be a super color fixing ritual along with great ramp, but if you do the ramp also doesn't need to be outstanding, or cost multiple colors. Just have it be 2G so you can cast it, get some mana in colors you need, then put the colors you don't need towards a land and fixing.
>>
>>55326238
Simple and effective. Thanks. No wonder I couldn't think of it. Though I think I'll make it 4 mana instant, then tutor for 3 at sorcery-speed.
>>
>>55326364
That sounds good. It lets the mana be more useful at any time, gives less excess, and also means that the land search is more clearly a separate bonus.
>>
>>55325657
This doesn't seem particularly worthy of being a mythic
>>
>>55324462
You realize this is basically just a 3 mana Instant that searches 5 lands, right? There is absolutely nothing you did right with this card, it's fucked from every angle.
>>
>>55324999
I think this is not as good as it seems, hence >>55325039 it actually getting printed.

The double evasion is just kind of overkill (flying is usually enough to be pretty much unblockable most of the time) and a two drop evasive 2/2 is nothing special, especially for two colors. Id almost be surprised if it saw constructed play but dinosaurs need low drops so.
>>
File: Solar Ritual.jpg (178KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Solar Ritual.jpg
178KB, 744x1039px
>>55326743
I've been working on it.
>>
File: tyTc1Nl.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tyTc1Nl.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
>>55323680
>>
>>55327458
>Red mill is totally in-color.
>>
>>55327811
Book Burning is a very bad example. You realize that mill wasn't really a very used mechanic by the time they made Book Burning, right? In fact, the mill as a more recurrent mechanic started being used on that set, because it was a very graveyard-related set (with flashback and threshold). So even though they were already rolling it with blue, its place on the color pie wasn't set on stone yet (before all of that, i don't think they did much milling besides Millstone, which is a fucking artifact).

So basically you are using an example of how they broke the colorpie for a "browbeat" with a card from a time that particular effect was sort of out of the colorpie. Yes, they clearly intended to put it on blue and not red, but you gotta be quite thick to think its the same as "choose and discard 2 cards", which is an effect that at least now in 2017 we know have a very specific place in the color pie.

On top of that, it makes no fucking sense for red. Red doesn't ask questions like that. Red beats the shit out of you violently and possibly anally. "discard two cards at random" would make A LOT MORE SENSE with red. Yes, its an effect that doesn't belong to red, but makes sense to stretch to it.
>>
>>55327811
Furthermore, discard is black. See how discarding interacts with red on cards such as:
> Kolaghan's Command -> discard without choosing
> Fall (from Rise/Fall) -> show at random and discard

Now see how blue interacts with black when it comes to discarding:
> Brainbite (choose and discard)
> Doomsday Specter (choose and discard)
> River's Grasp (choose and discard)
> Seer's Vision (choose and discard)

So, the whole point you missed as >>55327458 pointed out, is that the problem is not about stretching the colorpie with a "browbeat" card into having that effect. The problem is doing that on red. If you did in blue, it would make a lot of sense, that is more blueish way to interrogate someone. Red, on the other hand, would not do such.
>>
>>55328167
>This Black effect has been on Blue-Black cards, so it makes sense for Blue to have it.
Yeah. No.
>>
>>55328458
I think his point is more that the effect you're bending to a different color should feel like it's off that color, even if the effect is the same.

For example, rather than milling the top cards of someone's library, it would be more Red to exile them and let that player cast them until end of turn. Even though it's easy to set it up so they won't be able to use them and it's effectively a mill, it's more Red because it feels closer to something Red does do.

Red does random discards more often, so forcing someone to randomly discard feels more Red.
>>
>>55328485
Ah. Random discard is fine then. Same damage and cost, discard three?

And how would this effect work for Blue anyway? What would the downside be? Mill doesn't feel strong enough. Exile-mill? Force bounce? Or... draw makes sense.
>Any player may have you draw up to three [?] cards. If no player does [...]
>>
>>55328631
Yeah, letting you draw or having to bounce their own creatures work best for Blue I think. One 'browbeat' effect Blue technically does all the time is Mana Leak style stuff where they counter a spell or tap X of their lands, so replacing the latter half with another downside might work.
>>
>>55328702
I was actually just thinking of a Browbeat counter, but in White.
>WW
>Any player may sacrifice a creature with the greatest power among creatures he or she controls. If no one does, counter target spell.
God White sucks for downsides.
>>
>>55328829
Yeah. You could go with having you gain an arbitrarily large amount of life, but unless it's an insane number most people would rather just give you that if they know what they're doing.

Could have them tap all creatures they control instead, but then it only really works if they haven't already attacked and were going to. Still, that might not be a bad thing.
>>
>>55328878
Last one for now.
>W
>Any opponent may have you create a white 2/2 Knight creature token with vigilance. If no one does, search your library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
>>
>>55329120
>white 2/2 Knight
Doesn't sound right. Ugh, tired.
>>
>>55329120
>>55329132
'create a 2/2 white Knight' would be the order you're looking for. I also think that's a pretty good card, though it might be better if it specifically looked for a Plains, as well as if it were a 2 mana instant instead. Less cheap for White Ramp, and it also means that you can have the knight as a surprise blocker so the decision is harder.
>>
>>55329201
Well, I was thinking it would be a sorcery.
>>
>>55299528
I can't see a player not choosing the draw effect. No matter what you had, even if you bluffed or not, the logical assumption is to avoid letting someone play what they know they had for no mana.
>>
File: Savvy Marshal.jpg (152KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Savvy Marshal.jpg
152KB, 744x1039px
I think I pared down the rules text as much as I could. I did some digging and saw clone shell had a wording for this surprisingly enough.
>>
File: Mythic Iconic Cycle.jpg (762KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Mythic Iconic Cycle.jpg
762KB, 1875x1046px
>>55320703
New Iconic Mythic Cycle as well as completed Enchantment Cycle.
>>
File: EXT Misc.jpg (1006KB, 1875x1569px) Image search: [Google]
EXT Misc.jpg
1006KB, 1875x1569px
>>55330869
I've also made some revisions based on the suggestions I've been receiving.
>>
>>55330869
Flash and Flying on Sovreign of Manipulation need to be on separate lines. It also looks like it sucks in comparison, since it's one of the only 2 that need to deal combat damage, and the Dragon will actually earn card advantage.

The Black one needs Flying and Menace in the other order.

The fact that all of those enchantments create two tokens each turn seems like a bit much, especially since they're all better than average and have other effects on top of that.

As an aside, if you're making a set, I question the wisdom of starting with all of the Rares and Mythics. Not only is it hard to gauge what your set themes are when looking at a handful of cards from the top, but it also makes evaluating them en masse harder to do. There's a lot of detail to each card, and them being lumped sporadically in image set doesn't help. It's your cards to dump, but I'm not sure how helpful feedback will be.
>>
File: Mythic Iconic Cycle.jpg (760KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Mythic Iconic Cycle.jpg
760KB, 1875x1046px
>>55330975
Thanks for the grammar check.

To be quite honest i've been finding the feedback here to be quite helpful, though it might come across as a lot of info I feel like it's more efficient to dump a bunch of images rather then one at a time.

Also the only reason I've been dumping more rares and mythics than commons and uncommons (beyond finding them more interesting to design) is that I've only been posting the cards once i find appropriate art. I find that cards without art often get skimed over and ignored.
>>
>>55330869
> Ambitions
When I suggested you create two 1/1 on Ambitiion of the Guard, it was because it was a plain 1/1. When it comes to Sanguine/Brilliant, I think its fair to create only one 1/1 because it has no ability. Also, Ambition of the Modified seems A LOT stronger than all the others. its quite hard to create a proper cycle with the same cost, and in this case you could just have different costs and that is alright. Otherwise, you could do something like this:

> Ambition of the Modified, 2GU
>"At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 2/2 green and blue Mutant Wolf (because of pic) token."
>When a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put two +1/+1 counters on it.
> Creatures with +1/+1 have hexproof
See? It keeps it on the cycle since its just a 2/2 (same power level as the other cards), but makes it 4/4 as part of the second effect :D also, I think hexproof is a lot more blue/green than trample, but that is up to you.

> Sovereigns of Fuck
It feels really weird to have a cycle that is not really a cycle. It really breaks the cycle feeling when you give 2 of them an "when deals combat damage" while the other 3 have "when enters the battlefield". Pick one and stick wiht it :)
>>
>>55330869
> Sovereign of Manipulation
"put the top ten", not "put the top 10"

>Corrupted Necromancer
"1B, T: ", not "1BT:"

> Jaljunan Reaper
Seems like you actually liked my suggestion for a naga :D

> Gemstone Guardian
Just out of curiosity, why 5/6? I thought it was already ok with 5/5.

> Jaljunan Hunter
> Evoke
> Scavenge
Cool (though you should double check that scavenge cost with other 4 power cards)

> Wateru's Soulslasher
Equipped effects are white, and sometimes red. Having it on a WB card feels weird, honestly =/

> Zanvar, Sword of Destiny
I ~think~ the correct text would be "Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may exile CARDNAME. If you do, take an extra turn after this one."

> Purify the Unnatural
I feel its nicer now, though I still think its weird. Its a WR card, that has 1 white effect and 1 effect that could be both white or red, which means this entire card could be WW or 1W in cost. Red is indifferent in it. An alternative effect you could go for instead of "destroy target attacking creature" is "deals N damage to target attacking or blocking creature" (i suggest N=5). I feel this effect is very WR, because R deals damage, while white also deals damage during combat like this sometimes.

> Pierce the Heart
You could go full conditional and do:
> Pierce the Heart, W
> Destroy target tapped black creature.
But that is just a random idea, it might be a shitty idea too haha
>>
File: serious.jpg (21KB, 450x299px) Image search: [Google]
serious.jpg
21KB, 450x299px
The mentality of people here in 4chan never ceases to amaze me.

>>55320122
> dude, that effect doesn't feel red at all, maybe "discard cards at random" would be a lot more red

>>55320524
> "its a browbeat-style so it means i can do whatever i want kekekekekekek"

>>55323412
> yeah but the card should still feel like the color, and choosing card to discard doesn't feel red

>>55323654
> (meanwhile this guy makes the same point, but get ignored)

>>55323680
> so, do you mean you understand some random arbitrary concept more than i do??? how is mill red??? kekekeke
(the answer of the first question is yes, btw)

>>55327458
> dude, u not getting the point

>>55327811
> HOW IS MILL A RED THING??

>>55328167
> give several examples of why mill wasn't very color-specific when that card came out, and why "choose to discard" don't feel red

>>55328458
> Yeah. No.

>>55328485
> some random dude shows up, says exactly the same thing as the original point

>>55328631
> alright, that makes sense

wut
>>
>>55330869
all the enchantment and half the sovereign feels really undercosted.
>>
File: Herald of Truth Forbidden.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Herald of Truth Forbidden.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
Sick day repost
>>
>>55334975
>untap x permanent
untap up to x target permanents.

card is nice, it shouldn't be too broken.
>>
So with Ixalan and Lorwyn, is there now a lot more precedent for bending Tribes into other colors when it comes to Tribal sets? I mean, by now we have Abzan Merfolk and Boros Vampires as distinct possibilities.
>>
>>55337049
Yes and no. Breaking the rules once doesn't mean that's the new default, it means a rule was consciously broken for a reason. It's not fine to keep trampling over the rule, you need to have a damn good argument for doing it. Sets can pull away from the normal, but you should always act as though Magic snaps back, and you can only safely pull so far in so many directions.
>>
>>55337049
I think after the white zombies, /tg/ had already convinced itself that creature types are not part of the color pie. You can put whatever creature type you want in whatever color you want, as long as it makes sense for your set.
>>
>>55337202
Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that Abzan merfolk without Blue would be something to shove into a set. More that it was just a possibility with the mono-colored cards of that tribe in those colors.

>>55337209
That's fair. I still feel like there might be some resistance to the idea though, which is why I was more asking about Tribal sets, since they'd be the ones most in need of crossing colors.
>>
>>55337256
> I still feel like there might be some resistance to the idea though
You will find someone bitching about basically anything here. I bet you can ctrl+c ctrl+v everything about a card Wizard made and post it here as your own, and still have people say that it would never exist. Basically, people are dumb fucks.

See this: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

That is Mark Rosewater talking about the colorpie, and he doesn't even mention creature type. Its 100% off the colorpie. They keep their creature types in the same colors because they want to give them a characteristic feel, but that is purely out of choice. You're free to put merfolks on red, elfs on blue, demon on white, etc.

What you CANNOT do is to make a red merfolk and justify it having a blue mechanic because it is a blue creature type, or anything like that. So when choosing the color to splash your tribe, you must keep in mind that beside rare cases, the creature being from a specific creature tribe doesn't grant it the right to have one or another effect.

So answering the original question:
> So with Ixalan and Lorwyn, is there now a lot more precedent for bending Tribes into other colors when it comes to Tribal sets?
You are not bending anything. Tribes are not color-specific.
>>
>>55337202
>it means a rule was consciously broken for a reason.
This is the key I think. You can justify anything flavorwise, but what is important is knowing that tribal works best spread across more than one color, and better supports limited if each color can support itself within the set. That means if you want to do, for example, merfolk tribal, they have to be in another color, and there has to be mono color merfolk because not every merfolk is gonna be able to go into a UG merfolk tribal deck in limited. I also think its important that at least one of your colors is the primary color for the tribe (I dont think youd want a set with BG merfolk for example) because you want your cards to work with the majority of existing support in constructed.

For limited purposes its important you can do U merfolk, G merfolk, AND UG merfolk, but they realize most people arent gonna be trying to build GW merfolk or something other than because they can, because they want to use the most existing U ones. Itd be kinda lame if you made BG merfolk and you couldnt play the 2 drop lords or reejerey or cursecatcher whatever else for example.
>>
File: Remembrance.png (3MB, 1876x1044px) Image search: [Google]
Remembrance.png
3MB, 1876x1044px
Reposting some cards I made with a mechanic I didn't think of, the effect isn't supposed to be as strong as flashback, just late game utility from the grave.
>>
File: Mythic Iconic Cycle.jpg (761KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Mythic Iconic Cycle.jpg
761KB, 1875x1046px
>>55332902
I guess it makes sense for a card with wolves in the art to create wolves :p

Also for uniformity's sake I gave the red and blue mythics an enter the battlefield ability.
>>
>>55337698
Maybe you should consider Remembrance being sorcery-speed only.

>Vichehold Channeler
VERY STRONG, because gives you the ability to untap any creature at any time only paying G, and still give you some little bonus.

>Tidepool Rippleseer
Similar reason, but less because of cost.

>Watchers of the Void
Interesting mechanic to synergize with Remembrance, though I wouldn't give Remembrance with this card. It could be simply a support card. (also, you are aware that using its remembrance doesn't shuffle it in your deck, right?)

Its an interesting mechanic, but I think you need to work a bit on what you want to do with it.

>>55337708
> Ambition of the Whatever
I think now they are more balanced. Furthermore, I think you should balance each ability individually (having the token-creating abilities all at the same level, then the secondary abilities all at the same level). For instance, I think two 1/1 = one 1/1 with ability = one 2/2 w/ no ability. With that logic, right now Ambition of the Modified's token creation is a bit stronger.

Also, I think its more interesting to have a "_______ you control gain _______" rather than the tokens themselves having it, like in Ambition of the Guard. (ps: I have no idea how under/over costed those cards are, I'm just commenting on ideas to keep them on the same power level).

> Sovereign of Whatever
Aggravation's new ability seems pretty week. What if it was "destroy all nonbasic lands"?.

An easy way to balance a cycle is to give all of them a N-cost effect. For instance, Manipulation's effect is Gifts Ungiven, right? You could look for other 4 mana rare sorceries for references.
>>
File: Virrabell, Obzedat Aspirant.png (677KB, 749x523px) Image search: [Google]
Virrabell, Obzedat Aspirant.png
677KB, 749x523px
>>55337708
I'd say each of the Ambitions is an auto include in a ton of EDH decks, which is 10/10 from me but they seem kind of pushed, like each of them could be a tribal lord without the first effect.

As for the Sovereigns, I think the effects are kind of lopsided in terms of power. I mean the green one is just a better Bane of Progress, offering boardwide utility and a big trampling creature, and the W one can exile a whole field of opponents creatures by itself.

Then R one just seems like a hasty beater, blowing up a land can be useful but not anywhere near exiling a field or blowing up a bunch artifacts and enchantments. Maybe a threaten effect would bring it up to power with the others?

>Instant and Sorcery spells you control cost 1 less to cast.

Is the correct wording I believe.

>>55337955
I had the idea of making it sorcery speed only but I went with the cost usually being higher than the card itself instead, to allow more flexibility. Though if the mechanic was more telegraphed as a sorcery speed ability, I could probably bring the costs down and the overall power level (I bet creatures that turn into instant speed combat tricks from the grave are stronger than I realize).
>>
>>55338185
I can't really give opinion on planeswalkers, but I think you should reword that last ability:
> Sacrifice Virrabell, Obzedat's Bitch. If you do, create a 6/6 black and white Spirit creature token with flying, indestructible, lifelink and vigilance named Virrabell.

Also, I might have exalted myself at "VERY STRONG" (>>55337955), but my point is that I thought it was stronger than you probably think. I recommend that you either change it to sorcery-speed, or carefully go through all of them again and make sure none are a bit too broken because of the speed.
>>
File: Sharptooth Regent (1).jpg (262KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Sharptooth Regent (1).jpg
262KB, 744x1039px
Not sure who read today's Making Magic, but Call sounded like a really flavorful and interesting to design around mechanic, but downside mechanic. Sometimes I wish they wouldnt automatically shoot them down.

Not sure how to mark tamedness. +1/+1 counter doesn't seem to make sense here. Could be its own I guess.
>>
>>55338597
I feel like it could work as a -1/-1 counter to show it getting 'broken I'm so to speak, but that might require adjusting the costs.

I also like the idea of the mechanic, but to me it feels like the sort of thing that wants White involved with that flavor.
>>
>>55338820
Well, white does domestication but that isnt necessarily the same as breaking a wild animal. But it'd probably be in white too. I just like RG as the dino colors. most.

The premise was that the creature is underoctsed but couldnt attack unless you paid another installment so i dunno if a -1/-1 counter works here either, then also sometimes they had additional effects while it was uncalled. It kind of feels like a mash up of evoke (get a bonus effect but no creature for a lower cost) and monstrosity (pay an extra installment to get a massive dude) which seems really cool.
>>
>>55338597
Technically, Monstrous exists without anything marking it (I say technically because Monstrous puts +1/+1 counters on the card, but those are separate from Monstrous.)

You could make it similar to Soulbound, with the bound creature being the tamer. Then, you could give the master creature benefits as well:

Wildwind Gryphon - WR
Uncommon
Creature - Gryphon
Flying
Tame 2WR (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield by paying its Tame cost. They remain paired until either leaves the battlefield.)
~ cannot attack unless tamed.
Creatures bound to ~ gain flying.
3/3

The creature is useless unless tamed (which is probably a bad idea), but gives benefits when tamed, which feels like a good mechanic.
Thinking about this, two creatures with Tame could tame each other. Eh, packs of wild creatures exist.
>>
>>55338943
Yeah, it's an interesting idea. It also reminds me a lot of the Theros gods. I feel like there's a lot of ways you could take that sort of mechanic.

>>55338963
I'm not as sure here. Needing another creature involved feels messy, and it just reminds me a lot of Lumbering Flowerknot or whatever that tree from innistrad was that needed Soulbond to function.

Personally, I think counters are a good call even if they don't do anything. Plus, it allows you to make certain cards that play with that, like removing 'Tame' counters from themselves and having other restrictions on top of the usual ones.
>>
>>55338963
This is another interpretation thats super flavorful, but I think the premise Mark/Ixalan design team had was a little more robust in terms of design space since theres no need to care about pairing creatures or factoring in shared buffs into costs and such. You could do a lot of the same things but then its just extra words for the pairing stuff. Flavor is better though. I think you could cost stuff pretty much like reverse evoke with the version Maro had.
>>
>>55325456
What about
>Add five mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool
>X, exile [CARD] from your graveyard: For each color of mana used to pay X, search your library for up to that many basic lands that don't share a type, put them onto the battlefield tapped, and then shuffle your library.
>>
>>55339079
>>55339046
Fair points. Besides, if you wanted to do something like that, you could simply have it give target creature flying when you pay the Tame cost. Same great flavor, fewer calories, and could be something only White does (since >>55338943 mentions White.)
I do also like the concept of "untaming" creatures. It feels weird that having a rampaging dinosaur about is safer than a tamed one:

Yoke-Breaker Ceratops - RG
Rare
Creature - Dinosaur
Trample
Tame 2RG (If this creature has no tame counters on it, it can't attack or block unless you pay 1RG. If you do, put a tame counter on it.)
During your combat phase, if ~ isn't tamed, it deals 2 damage to each other creature.
3RG, remove a tame counter from ~: deal 4 damage to each creature target opponent controls.
4/4
>>
>>55339433
Pretty neat, although now I'm just wondering if this would work better as a sort of reverse Unleash.
>>
File: temp.jpg (131KB, 400x560px) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
131KB, 400x560px
what about this?
>>
>>55339710
Sort of a clusterfuck. You shoudl better define what you want to accomplish and get rid off the extra shit.
>>
>>55339710
Here are some ideas for ya:

> Sunny Nigga, 2G, Sorcery
Untap all lands you control. Until end of your turn, lands you control have "T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

>Sunny Nigga, 2G, Enchantment
As long as you control exactly five lands, all lands you control have "T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

>Sunny Nigga, Sorcery, 3G
As additional cost to cast Sunny Nigga, sacrifice four lands.
Search your library for a forest, a mountain, a plain, an island and a swamp card, and put them into the battlefield tapped. Shuffle your library.
>>
>>55339585
I think it's because, flavor-wise, entering as tame or wild is less satisfying than moving from one to the other: the shift from "force of nature" to "controllable beast" is pretty visceral.
Mechanically, >>55338597 has an effect when it enters, which gives the creature utility as a sorcery-like effect far before it gains utility as a creature.

Huanca, Packmaker - 3GW
Mythic Rare
Legendary Creature - Angel
Flying
Creatures you control with tame counters get +2/+2.
3G: Put a tame counter on target creature.
3W: Creatures you control with tame counters gain vigilance until end of turn.
"I do not command them. They merely listen to me."
4/4

Apaec, the Savage - 3RB
Mythic Rare
Legendary Creature - Demon
Flying
Creatures you control may attack as though they have tame counters.
3R: Remove a tame counter from target creature, than gain control of it.
3B: Remove a tame counter from target creature, then destroy target creature an opponent controls.
"You do not command them. They only hear me."
>>
>>55340017
Shit. Apaec is also a 4/4.
>>
File: Finn Drel Embraced by Eternity.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Finn Drel Embraced by Eternity.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Sick day bumping, old school
>>
>>55341617
Hope you get better soon. Recovering from a cold myself.
>>
>>55323641
>Compare to Gift of Paradise
Compare to utopia sprawl... It's fine.
>>55337698
These are the first cards I've seen in months that interest me at all. I agree they should stay instant speed, but there are balance issues.
Vichehold is insanely easy to infinite with (any card with a tap ability) and satyr's ability to get a turn 3 7 (or 9 if you had a 1 drop) drop is likely a bit much, you could just half the costs and the payoff (r/g).
Linebreaker actually seems slightly underpowered.
Everything else seems OK tidepool's infinite isn't a problem with powerlevel but it is a problem for time concerns, so you might want to make it scry 1 (so it doesn't effectively stack the deck) instead of scry 2 and maybe make it a 2/3 or something to compensate.
>>
Hurricane Irma inspired this. Not sure if it has any practical use though.

>Power Outage
>2RR
>Instant
>Each player taps all lands he or ahe controls, then empties his or her mana pool.
>>
>>55342344
Oh right, forgot to add that this freezes lands too.
>>
What would be a good way of supporting aggro playstyles in a set with "instants matter" and "exile matters" as design themes? I don't know how to design for aggro players.
>>
>>55342491
Token spells, spells with Raid or Raid-like abilities, spells that you can exile from the grave for additional benefit, combat tricks that cantrip. Low-curve stuff.
>>
File: Planeswalkers.png (1MB, 1492x523px) Image search: [Google]
Planeswalkers.png
1MB, 1492x523px
>>55342316
I remember talking to another anon about those cards, he pointed out how easy it was to go infinite with them as well, I changed them but never updated the picture, the rippleseer was changed to

>U: Scry X, whee X is the number of cards you've drawn this turn. Activate this ability nly once each turn.

and the Channeler was changed to combat damage. Having a tap ability works against the design because it means they're less likely to hit the GY so it mainly leaves it to triggered abilities.

>>55342491
Good graveyard support? If exile matters then you could reward players for being able to keep cards in graveyards as targets. Reanimation, flashback, maybe unearth.
>>
>>55342344
>>55342369
Sounds like a good card to have Split second.
>>
File: 1431824692955.jpg (7KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1431824692955.jpg
7KB, 400x400px
>>55342921
In trying to be unique and special I didn't realize the end step trigger isn't necessary at all on Arbora and I just need to give him an ability similar to Gideon, Champion of Justice
>>
File: Abyss Hunter.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Abyss Hunter.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>55343447
>>55342921
Champion of Justice is one of my more preferred Planeswalker cards, just for how different he is in his setup with the goal of amassing a massive number of loyalty counters.

I think it would fit your Green planeswalker a lot better, and also ensure that he's not entirely dead on an empty board if you make it a +1. Plus, it being another activated ability means that his other two effects won't be quite as drastically powerful, since he'll need to space them out between gaining more counters.

I will say it is an interesting space to try and make high cmc planeswalkers with lower starting loyalty. I think it works for Arbora, since he gets big quick if you build around him, but Viche feels like she's going to die to a small flyer right away without doing much.
>>
File: Prideful Spineback.png (384KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Prideful Spineback.png
384KB, 375x523px
>>55344824
I actually kind of like the idea of Arbora gaining the counters at the end step now, making him completely reliant on creatures to do anything. The flavor kind of fits as he's a grizzled schizoid walker that only gives his loyalty to beasts and is reliant on them

A 6 mana do nothing when he's not supported (dead on an empty board like you said, he needs at least one creature to use his ability even one time) but a value engine in the right setup, risk vs reward.

>Abyss Hunter
Seems like a card that would be great in limited but I think there's better emerge targets in general, I don't have a whole lot of experience outside EDH and kitchen table so I can't really give you a lot of feedback.
>>
File: RM04 Might without Equal.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RM04 Might without Equal.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>55342190
Thanks, I hope you feel better soon as well, anon.
>>55344824
The lifeloss on blocking seems a bit odd in blue. Any precedent that I'm unaware of?
>>55345046
I like it!
>>
>>55345046
Could be an interesting way to handle it, although it does risk making him a bit too hard to use.

As for the Kraken, it is just an uncommon, so it isn't too grand as far as Emerge targets go. I did need to fit something a bit bigger into Blue though for the purposes of the set.

>Prideful Spineback

Seems nice, although I feel like I saw this exact effect on one of the RG Tarkir dragons.

>>55345245
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

Granted, it was listed under Tertiary there, although they did use it more extensively for Amonkhet. That said, I do mainly think it works best from the perspective of a lesser form of unblockable, still dealing damage no matter what. Perhaps it would be less jarring if it were just trample, although I'm not sure on that.
>>
>>55344824
>>55345328
That's better than I first thought with a second look, I guess I was comparing it to Stormtide Leviathan despite being uncommon. Still does something if it gets chump blocked (though that' doesn't feel blue, maybe blocked creature doesn't untap next upkeep?), can draw you cards if you're bouncing threats, AND it combos with Ula Temple and can come down for less

>>55345245
Awesome card, great flavor, love it. Solid win condition when combod with 3 Eldrazi Titans, a Worldspine Wurm and Jin-Gitaxias.
>>
>>55345538
I'm glad you like it. I felt like the numbers would up pretty well for it, and Emerge makes it a solid threat that can be gotten out more easily.

I am a bit unsure on the first effect to avoid blocks. While I like how it fits the card, it isn't overly Blue. Freezing what blocked it would be nice, although that just leaves it open to chump blocking more from things that would die anyway.
>>
Spit-balling an idea inspired by Guardian Idol, the Totems from Time Spiral, and Fusion Elemental. Sorta.
>Conflux Totem (?)
>3
>Artifact
>Rare
>~ enters the battlefield tapped.
>T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
>X: Until end of turn, ~ becomes an artifact creature with power and toughness each equal to twice the number of colors of mana spent on this activation cost.
Spend W for a 2/2, WG for a 4/4, WUBRG for a 10/10, etc. Too much?
>>
>>55346208
That actually seems like it's in a fairly good place. Compared to other mana rocks, it fixes for more colors, but enters tapped as a downside.

The only thing I might say is that the activation cost to become a creature might be too efficient at certain points. The biggest ones would be 2 and 3 color, as those aren't too difficult to pull off for a 4/4 or a 6/6, although the balancing factor there is that either one would only be swinging by turn 4 at the earliest, and it would be eating up a sizable chunk of mana to do so. I think it would be okay overall, since even as a big creature, it's relatively easy to deal with in any color.
>>
>>55346280
Thanks. Another idea would be to hew it closer to Fusion Elemental. Maybe pay X for an X/X creature, and it gets +3/+3 if WUBRG was spent.
>>
>>55346444
Hmm, that might work, although I'm not sure how it would parse on the card. Still, saccing it for a relatively smaller token might be the safer route, with a bonus to its size if you actually have all 5 colors.
>>
File: Bottomless Seas.jpg (28KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bottomless Seas.jpg
28KB, 375x523px
>>
>>55341617
>>55345245
Good to see you, Timeanon.
>>
>>55348051
Good to be here, anon. Even though it's because of a sick day.
>>
>>55349649
Well, cheers. I just popped in to say hello. Not much else to contribute I'm afraid. Good luck with the latest set. I'll check in from time to time to see how it's coming along. Get well soon.
>>
File: Untitled drawing.jpg (73KB, 799x550px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled drawing.jpg
73KB, 799x550px
You know what modern needs?

More cards for affinity decks!
>>
File: Nature's Recall.png (319KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Nature's Recall.png
319KB, 375x523px
>>55347972
>>
>>55299528
*they
Your cards are shit, stop.
>>
File: 112[1].jpg (83KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
112[1].jpg
83KB, 312x445px
>>55299528
>>55351116
>they

Not actually.
>>
File: Untitled drawing (1).jpg (82KB, 800x555px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled drawing (1).jpg
82KB, 800x555px
>>55351836
Browbeat on a stick?
sure, why not, but I think the wording is a bit clumsy.

I based mine off the wording of Browbeat.
>>
>>55352903
>the wording is a bit clumsy

That's an actual card. Stop trying to act smug
>>
>>55352930
shit, you are right. I am behind on the times. Still seems clumsy whether its official or not (though that doesn't change the fact that I look like an ass).
>>
File: Abjorn's Guardians.png (334KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Abjorn's Guardians.png
334KB, 375x523px
>>
>>55355536
Old but gold
>>
File: Tollmasters of Getander Pass.jpg (281KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Tollmasters of Getander Pass.jpg
281KB, 744x1039px
>>
File: Ironwoods Primarch.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ironwoods Primarch.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>55357084
Interesting. I like how it's a Browbeat-style effect with multiple ways to deal with it. The ideal is it dealing 5 damage or letting you draw 3 cards, but it's also possible that an opponent may simply trade it with their own flyer or use a kill spell to remove it. And of course, being a creature and triggering on attack means that you can cast your own spells to further twist their options.

Very nice.
>>
>>55357084
>If they do,
kys
>>
>>55357189
brb killing self
>>
>>55357178
Shockingly, this might be too undercosted. Somberwald Stag is good enough to see play in monogreen competitive commander lists that care about creatures. But maybe thats just the absolute lowest bar to be playable and you can still have some bonuses.
>>
>>55357289
Hmm, I think you may have a point. Maybe I'll dial it back to a 3/3 so it doesn't have quite as much power to it alongside being instant speed.
>>
>>55357316
I mean, like I said, maybe that's just the baseline of playability. I think that situation (monogreen creature centric decks in commander) is the only time I've ever seen it played, but tbqh that it has any place in an eternal format is pretty surprising. It's not an issue to make strictly better things so I don't think you necessarily have to worry about that if Somberwald Stag is the bottom line of playability. It's up to you to decide since I don't know.
>>
File: arid45.jpg (147KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
arid45.jpg
147KB, 744x1039px
Decided to play it safe.
>>
File: Chromeshell Lithovore.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Chromeshell Lithovore.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>55358486
I think that does work out better than the X version you were trying for. A bit better for mana purposes since it doesn't enter tapped, though the secondary effect demands a 5 color deck, so the fixing kind of balances itself out in that way.
>>
>>55357084
>Falkenrath Mauraders
>>
>>55362189
Eh, I dunno, I just feel like there's a bit of a flavor disconnect using Emerge for artifact creatures. Also not sure on just using keywords with no cast trigger.
>>
>>55362189
>>55363159
The obvious option for smoothing over the flavor is painting it Phyrexian. A Phyrexian construct bursting out of something is pretty straightforward.
>>
>>55363159
You could do it in a set with replicants or something similar, where the Emerge is them ripping the synthetic skin off and T-1000ing your ass.
>>
File: Inkwasp Queen.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Inkwasp Queen.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>55363159
>>55363223
Right now I'm using Emerge as a broader keyword within the set, primarily in Blue and Black, flavored as things emerging from the depths of the sea or the darkness of a swamp.

I'm not too concerned with tying it mechanically to the Eldrazi Emerge cards, as it primarily serves to make Black focused more on having one individual creature that you'd swap out for new ones as they outlive their usefulness, while Blue would do something similar, but going a bit more wide and having less raw power compared to effects.
>>
File: Chillfright Scarecrow.jpg (175KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Chillfright Scarecrow.jpg
175KB, 744x1039px
Last one for tonight. Also, due to my being an idiot an never backing up my files for the inevitable hard drive crash, the CO "set" will be on hiatus for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>55363320
You lost everything?
>>
>>55365841
The hard drive has some sort of read error. I think it could be mechanical, maybe something wrong with the head. I'm asking for a quote at a few places to get it repaired. Probably going to be too expensive to get fixed, at least for now, but it doesn't cost anything to ask.
>>
File: Arthur Curry Aquaman.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Arthur Curry Aquaman.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
OK I changed my mind. One of the first things I did after getting a new hard drive into my computer and setting everything up was download MSE and start re-creating my CO "set." Glad to know the 4plebs archives are working just fine. Honestly the worst part about losing my hard drive was the loss of the pictures, including the art I was using for these cards, pretty much everything else I can recover pretty easily.
>>
>>55363320
>>55366363
>>55367707
Sorry to hear you went through that COanon. Good to see you're still around. Not many old hats left now that I've checked out of these threads for the most part.
>>
File: soul37.jpg (158KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
soul37.jpg
158KB, 744x1039px
>>55369959
Thanks. I've still been around, I've just been making a lot more non-CO cards recently. I guess I just feel kinda burned-out on them right now. Honestly though, I'm probably more upset on losing all the cards from anons I'd saved. The CO stuff I can remember, and it's not hard to find in the archives, but I'll probably never get all the anon cards back. But really I have nobody to blame but myself. Oh well.
>>
>>55370170
Well, at least you don't have to deal with the inevitable regret of deleting MSE, all your cards, and even your backups because you got sick of it. I'm sure I won't regret losing all those keywords and cards that I really liked, what few there were. I didn't really get much feedback admittedly, so nothing of value was really lost, most likely. I posted anon with no set symbol so it's not like anyone knows or cares I left in the first place. Not that you asked, because its likely you don't really care either.

For old time's sake, I'll review this one. I personally think it should be UB. Blue doing straight punish like this feels off to me, but that's just a gut reaction. I will admit I didn't check Gatherer at all. Also, I'd probably make it rare.

Cheers.
>>
File: Protection from the kings.jpg (34KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Protection from the kings.jpg
34KB, 375x523px
>>55357635
Somberwald stag is just the cheapest monogreen creature that deals damage to other creatures on ETB. It's only played because of infinite bounce shenanigans. In other words, the card is not competitive or good, it just fills a very specific niche use that green has no other options for.
>>
>>55370479
I think this would work a lot better as simply
>Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Target creature you control gains indestructible until end of turn.
Alternatively, flicker the creature. It's just that straight-up preventing the death of a creature really doesn't work with stuff like 0 or less toughness, since the creature will just die again anyway.
>>
File: download.jpg (298KB, 1500x523px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
298KB, 1500x523px
>>55370231
Well, it's not too late to start over again. Personally, I'm also really regretting not backing up my stuff before, especially since I know some of it's going to be pretty much impossible to get back. But being sad about it isn't going to get any of it back for me, so I might as well move on.

>Interrogate
Yeah, I was excited for the Browbeat-style stuff before, but now it just seems really weird. I think you have the right idea about adding Black to this.

Anyway, Zachary Zatara again. On the left is what I had last time. Trying some new designs, all incorporating turning cards face up or down.

Oh yeah, lore. He's a magician and cousin to the far more famous Zatanna Zatara. Like her, he uses backwards magic. Treating the cards like cards was an idea I had for Zatanna that I ditched for "reverse casting" so I'm reusing the idea for him. The idea is that magicians sometimes use cards, so this magician treats the cards like cards. I guess you can say it kinda breaks the fourth wall, maybe.
>>
File: shiv63.jpg (168KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
shiv63.jpg
168KB, 744x1039px
>>
File: Quickdraw Lawman.jpg (125KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Quickdraw Lawman.jpg
125KB, 744x1039px
>>55373764
Personally, I was under the assumption only red got "let me do a thing I dont normally do or I fuck you up" was pretty muh just a red thing for now, so the premise of Interrogate doesnt really work to me anyway.
>>
File: Zatannas Trick2.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Zatannas Trick2.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
An idea I started working on before my drive crashed. I understand that this is likely going to be a bit difficult to balance completely. I also understand that it's a bit wordy, so I'll try to break it down: Turn a card in your hand into a 2/2 and draw a card, or turn the top card of your library into a 2/2. Do this X times. Hmm, maybe I should make it modal?

>>55376284
Makes sense.

>card
Eh... while the mechanics are solid, It's just really weird to see a White card need Black to get FStrike, since it's primary in White and Red, but only tertiary in Black. I feel like it would be much easier if it were a Black card that needed White or Red.
>>
>>55376284
I'd agree with >>55376548 here. I get the flavor you were going for, but it feels like it only wants to gain first strike when an enemy has those, rather than with you.

It's also not an exceptionally hard bonus to trigger for such a big swing.
>>
>>55376548
Not sure whats so weird about it. The premise wasn't really getting color themed abilities, just getting a better dude if you had off color permanents (and flavor). It would be more interesting with off color abilities, fair enough. I got flavor ideas for menace and haste.

Also in general with this and the last cards you did with the similar premise, I really like using face down to simulate actual cards. My problem flavorwise is that it feels weird that creatures represent that in magic, but I dont know the powerset of this person so maybe it makes sense. I wonder if theres another way.
>>55376909
Eh, I dont think a 3/1 first striker for two if you have off color permanents is way out of line. I also feel a little disappointed if you dont think the flavor is on point since I thought for sure it was. Besides mechanical implications of color hate, he doesnt need to be fighting against criminals necessarily. They can just be around his town or whatever. Maybe the flavor text should have been something like "always be ready etc. etc." rather than implying an outright fight.
>>
File: Lex Luthor2.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lex Luthor2.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Eh, I dunno. Wanted to make a cool UB control commander, ended up with a Becket Brass ripoff.

>>55377507
It's just odd because Black is only tertiary for FStrike, but White is primary for it. It would be like a Green card that had Reach but only if you had a Red permanent. OK, Reach is in Red, but only barely, but Green is the prime color for it, so that's kind of odd.
>>
>>55377893
Im still not exactly sure whats weird about it. Like I said, its not getting first strike because its mechanically related to black, its just a white reward for doing what the card asks (ehich happens to be having an enemy color). Flavorwise, its not meant to be like he "becomes" more red or black because there are other red or black cards, but more like he becomes on guard if there are enemies around him. Mechanically, its like a white card that says x has first strike if you control an artifact. White can conditionally get first strike. I dont think all off color themed abilities like this do things that match the off color, do they? I didnt actually look.
>>
File: Soultaker Sword.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Soultaker Sword.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
Is using counters this way excessive?

>>55378075
Eh, it's probably just personal preference. Me, I'd like the off-color to have an impact on what the card gets. Give a White card Flash if you have a Green or Blue permanent, stuff like that. But considering that Magic at least has the Runemark cycle from FRF, it seems it could go either way. So you do you.
>>
>>55378206
I think you can just have a card exile things and give it effects based on stuff it exiled. I'm not sure you need the counters at all
>>
>>55378244
Eh, yeah. I was always paranoid about things like flicker, guess that's just me. I'll try to remember this moving forward.
>>
File: Zachary Zatara6.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Zachary Zatara6.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
Think this one will be the last one for tonight. Decided to make Zachary more like Zatanna, affecting permanents instead of spells. As for mana costs, they're more placeholder than anything else. I'm honestly not even sure what color this ability would be. RG?
>>
>>55378274
Flicker wouldn't really factor in. You can specifically say that the equipped creature has the activated abilities of all cards exiled with Soultaker sword, or whatever.

There's tons of cards that basically require you to exile things in a separate pile for that reason.
>>
File: Crooked Capitalist.jpg (152KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Crooked Capitalist.jpg
152KB, 744x1039px
>>55378206
I get what you mean about making it worth playing an alternate color to get an off color ability. I guess that's just not where I started since I was trying to get across a flavor thing and first strike was the way to get the feeling I was going for in white, and I had an idea about working in enemy colors to explain why he had an itchy trigger finger. In fairness I think the flavor of that card still works with haste for Red and Black. Just like I said flavor wise it wasn't really about him becoming more like those colors, but rather something was happening in response to them. Another thing is I'm not really certain if I want to list both enemy colors. I know enemy color isn't a super original premise for a set but I really love the flavor when combined with wild west. The idea of conflicting ideals clashing feels super enemy color. Replace the old with the new, take law to the lawless, a place where even the destitute can find riches. I'd been looking for a general mechanical hook as I've been trying all kinds of mechanics.

As said, I don't think it's necessary to use the counters here. Main thing is because I assume this is inspired by Mairsil, and since he was explicitly designed to function as a commander, they wanted to make sure he could remember stuff he was linked to as he was guaranteed to enter and leave play multiple times a game. If you really wanted that you could use the counters but I don't think it's super necessary here. Very cool flavor anyway.
>>
>>55379726
supposed to be a 2/3, must have refreshed the stats awat
>>
Take That
WR
Instant
Tap target creature that shares no creature types with other creatures on the battlefield. Take That deals 2 damage to that creature.
"Taste the pain!"
>>
>>55381382
Caring about the creature type seems odd.
>>
>>55299993
Simple and elegant, I like it.

>>55300273
I think it would be a much better design if it were just the second mode.

>>55303177
Overpowered, this card is a one man control deck that can also attack.

>>55314858
This mechanic seems a little hard to play with, in my opinion. For example, why couldn't the ability just be: whenever a creature you control dies, you may look at the top card of your library. If it's a creature you may exile it and deal 3 to each opponent?

>>55315051
Seems weaker than most similar effects, but still a neat design.

>>55315061
I like it, a neat twist on a discard two.

>>55315071
I'd love to see what this is broken with. One person mentioned necro, bargain also comes to mind (although those cards are good enough as is).

>>55315088
I still think this mechanic is kind of inelegant. Although seeing it a second time and thinking about it some more, I get how it could lead to some neat gameplay. All in all, I don't really think it's worth the trouble.
>>
>>55378206
you can do it without counters by saying " gets +1+1 for each card exiled with soultaker Sword".

the way i proposed it will break if soultaker sword is blinked or destroyed and played another, while using your wording the last soultaker sword you'll play will benefit from the all the cards exiled by the previous ones.

i don't think your way of using counters is excessive, i think some real cards work like that too.

your card is quite underpowered, creating more cards that exile cards with sword counters might be the only way to make it playable without dropping the mana costs by a lot.
>>
>>55315071
add a 1 life minimum clause.
>>
>>55384046
I think I'm going to stay away from the counters for now. Thanks. As for power, how about change the P/T boost so the equipped creature gets +X/+Y for each creature card exiled, where X is the card's power and Y the toughness?
>>
>>55383483
>This mechanic seems a little hard to play with, in my opinion. For example, why couldn't the ability just be: whenever a creature you control dies, you may look at the top card of your library. If it's a creature you may exile it and deal 3 to each opponent?
Its a translation of the decievers and like cards. An important difference between them and what you just said is, you get to look and make decisions about what you do before it happens, which informs your moves, but not your opponents. For example, with concealed carrier, you would be able to make a wager. Then, you attack. But what if your opponent has a good block? Were you able to wager a creature? Why would you make a danerous attack if you didn't? Thats the kind of gameplay I wanted. Its meant to play similar to morph as well in that sense. Besides that, specifically exiling as a resource can help get your wager payments off if you miss the first time and keep the opponent guessing since every time you make a wager theres another chance you got what you needed. And to make the mechanic less parasitic, the wager is basically scry, meaning that it isnt meaningless by itself just using it even if you cant match what the card wants. That also contributes to misleading the opponent as well. Exiling a card could you mean you got what you needed, but you could have just been exiling a land to get it out of the way.
>>
>>55383304
We don't cotton to freaks around these parts.
>>
>>55296564
this should cost 3 as rare or not exist
>>
>>55299528
Hey anon I never come to these threads because they're shit but this is pretty cool.
>>
File: Scott Summers Cyclops.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Scott Summers Cyclops.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
Another go on Cyclops. Triggered ability supposed to represent reflecting the eyebeams from the activated ability to hit multiple targets, but it decreases damage as well. And since I was wondering about this others might too, but 0 damage doesn't trigger any damage trigger, so eventually the reflection will peter out.
>>
>>55388111
Oh yeah, and "permanent or player" then "creature or player" in order to bounce off planeswalkers as well, since they're the other kind of permanent that can be dealt damage.
>>
File: MythicCycle.jpg (371KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
MythicCycle.jpg
371KB, 1875x523px
Here's the enemy Mythic cycle for my Instant-sorcery matters
>>
>>55390438
>WB
Eh, kinda boring. Wish there were more going on. Like, maybe they have to pay an amount of mana or something to end the effect for a turn. It could make for interesting diplomacy in Commander.

>UR
It grants Storm? Then it should probably exile itself on resolution. No idea on mana cost, but this is probably too low. As for what you have now, I believe better wording would be
>As long as ~ is on the stack, it can't be the target of spells or abilities.
Interesting, you can't combo one copy of this card with another. Well done.
>Copy target instant or sorcery spell you control for each spell cast before it this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.
This is probably the best mechanical implementation of this concept I've seen. Good job. Just needs to be balanced, but I'm the wrong guy for that unfortunately.

>BG
Not entirely sure on this, but the closest comparison is Lord of Extinction, which is at 3BG, so this is looking a bit overcosted at its current mana cost. Also, you don't need the exile trigger. What this spell should do is create a creature token, which only exist on the battlefield. They still move to other zones from the battlefield and trigger the corresponding triggers, but as soon as they move into another zone, they just vanish. So as soon as the token made by this thing dies, it would trigger any relevant death triggers, then just disappear.

>RW
Can't judge without seeing Essence cards. But if it's just a standard tribe, it's probably undercosted, especially for that last ability.

>GU
Seems interesting. Again, hard for me to judge on balance, but I think a lower cost and body would be better to play around with. Also, this feels UR. Which is kinda the problem with an I/S matters set, since I/S matters is pretty much always UR.
>>
>>55391494
I actually thought Aberath was a really good amalgam of blue caring about spells and green things.

I also agree Kerez is really boring. Like wowza is it kind of lame in comparison to the others. If you really want this effect, I would A) switch it to opponent loses life > you gain that much rather than the current because that effect is generally better and used fewer times so far or B) give it a second ability that ties into that somehow rather than a generic activated ability to get lifelink. Like something that forces lifegain for all players so you can benefit but they actually lose life.

Speaking of, is this >>55390438
the person that made Invoke cards? I guess not because they don't have the set symbol. I was wondering what the flavor for Invoke was in your world because I wanted to make some as I love invoke and I think you can make it even better if you can tie it to a distinct flavor, in the same way Innistrad used transform to show dark transformations or Ixalan uses it to show exploration. It kind of works on its own as a general "spell calls a creature" feeling but I think you can make it stand out more than that.
>>
>>55391700
>I actually thought Aberath was a really good amalgam of blue caring about spells and green things.
Caring about high power feels to me both Red and Green, and I went with R because of what I said about UR. I guess it does work in GU though.
>>
>>55391902
Eh... red just uses it for burn and shit right? Caring about creature stats in general terms feels way more green to me. Green can use it for anything. Also I guess blue can count things in grave too if its things blue cares about, but things on the battlefield counting grave stuff feels particularly green to me too, I guwss becauae of llurgoyf
>>
>>55392839
>Also I guess blue can count things in grave too if its things blue cares about
That's pretty much every color.

White cares about creature cards, though it seems to dabble in this a lot loss than all the other colors.

Blue cares about I/S cards and cards regardless of type. Because Blue cares about spellcasting as well as mill, which normally doesn't care about type.

Black cares about creature cards and cards regardless of type. Because Black has many ways to kill creatures, through removal or sacrifice, and it just generally tied to death on a flavor level.

Red cares about I/S cards and artifact cards (slightly). Like Blue it likes spellcasting, and like Black it's good at destroying and saccing a specific permanent type, just artifacts instead of creatures.

Green cares about creature cards. Honestly not entirely sure on this one. Payback for opponents' killing your creatures? Death as a part of life?
>>
>>55393289
Hmm, now I want to do a White card that cares about enchantments in your graveyard. I'll see what I can come up with.
>>
>>55393289
>Black cares about creature cards and cards regardless of type. Because Black has many ways to kill creatures, through removal or sacrifice, and it just generally tied to death on a flavor level.
This is what you mixed up. Green is the color that can care about any card type in general in the grave. Black is usually just creatures. Its not hardline ofc but generally speaking.
>>
>>55393300
Eh, nevermind. I can only think of lifegain and tokens, both of which I find a bit hard to translate in terms of flavor.

>>55393370
Well, I based this on a very quick search, so I'm not surprised I was wrong. I was surprised how little White did graveyard counting though.
>>
>>55393461
Yeah white gets almost nothing graveyard oriented besides getting rid of it. Thats why you sometimes see weird cards like that Scars block card that regrew an artifact and a creature or the weird sacrifice a permanent stuff in SOI block to try and get delirium to work.
>>
>>55393500
Actuslly, i did just remember I feel whites been gettinf s big reanimatiin push for a while. I know it has a history but it seemed like they dropped it for while, and now every set has some. A mid drop with a set mechanic to pull back a weenie feels pretty common now
>>
>>55391700
>>55391494
Happy to open some conversation

I don't use Invoke, I use the opposite, which I took from Startled Awake. Essence are instants/sorceries that can transform into creatures through paying an activated or triggered ability. It's my way of adding more instants and sorcery cards for colors that care less about sorceries and instants.
The reason why the Essence creature exiles on death is more of a flavor thing. They are simply living embodiement of magic, focused into creatures, which simply dissipate when they die. (So the creatures don't go back to the graveyard as a sorcery when it dies, and it adds a bit of flavor)

Lord of Extinction doesn't work as Graveyard hate and doesn't have hexproof.

Aberath is probably my favorite of this ''Cycle''.
>>
>>55393838
Eh... Knowing that, I dont love the anti synergy between Aberath and your transforming spells. One random mythic that kind of nonbos with a theme is not really anything bad but knowing it now feels meh to me. I get why they exile if they are exactly like Startled Awake but eh. I wish I had an idea to use transformers because I love them. The idea of using them as a way to increase spell count for instant/sorcery matters set is a really golden idea. Have you thought about trying to do something like split cards? Not sure how youd do it or the rules fuckery but eh. It feels unfortunate to not have your main way of padding out spell count not work with a graveyard subtheme for potential archetypes to care about it.

For the record not saying you have to do that idea or that Invoke was the best or only way to do it, but I would suggest dont feel like you have to actively avoid the same or similar mechanic because someone else did it.
>>
>>55394235
the UG draft archetype is X Spells
>>
File: Uncommons 1.jpg (566KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Uncommons 1.jpg
566KB, 1875x1046px
>>55394235
Also, I wanted an instant/sorcery matter block, and I build it that way. Invoke was a Nonbo with it, so the mechanics are Transform, Conspire and Catalyst, which are all showcased here, these are the ''Draft Uncommon''.

P.S. I know the BG Mythic nonbos with the draft, It just that I thought it was a cool effect.
>>
File: Uncommons2.jpg (270KB, 752x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Uncommons2.jpg
270KB, 752x1046px
>>55394392
>>
File: Taste the Pain.png (199KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Taste the Pain.png
199KB, 375x523px
>>55381382
>>55383304
>>55386208
>>
>>55394392
>Also, I wanted an instant/sorcery matter block, and I build it that way. Invoke was a Nonbo with it,
Im confused here. Someone else here made a transformer mechanic where the front was a spell but you could pay an alternate cost to have it flip it to a creature when it resolves, basically kind of a reverse evoke. That was one way how they chose to have more creatures while still maintaining high instant and sorcery counts for their spells matter set.
>>
>>55394392
At a glance, I like all of these except the WU one which really doesnt feel WU to me. I guess its partly because I assume conspire is in white this set for tokens (I like conspire in white. The word itself feels weird but what it means, like working together, and white's affinity for tokens is a slam dunk). I kinda wish it made tokens somehow cause that feels like a theme you really gotta push to get it to go consistently.
>>
File: Dammur Distraught Monarch.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dammur Distraught Monarch.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
Working on a classic fantasy set, dungeons, dragons, knights, elves, wizards, and so on.

Gonna have renown as a set mechanic. Here are two of my favorite cards.
>>
File: Chivalry is Dead.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Chivalry is Dead.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>55395470
Here's another.
>>
File: Star Struck.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Star Struck.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>55395487
>>
File: Thomas Blake Catman.jpg (32KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas Blake Catman.jpg
32KB, 375x523px
>>55394528
Xavier: Renegade Angel? Certainly didn't expect that to come up in /ccg/. God that show was trash.
>>
>>55395470
I really like Renown. Noy much was done with it due that set being its first appearance and also a core set. I also like the get a counter to reward and to mark a change in status technology they used for it and monstrosity too.
>>55395505
Unless I'm misinterpreting the flavor, this card seems more like a pun rather than a flavor thing which is a shame because you can definitely make a more flavorful effect for this, whether its a threaten or a panic effect or something.
>>55395470
I don't know if these colors are for flavor or not, but id they can be whatever you want I would make a knight lord a Mardu card. I think people wouls be very sad if it weren't. In general I think the design is a little mishmashy. I like the renown and renown matters effects the most. My problem is the two effects renown guys get dont feel related at all. Theyre just two unrelated abilities. Of the two curiosity is definitely the more important one.
>>
File: Xavier Renegade Angel.png (227KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Xavier Renegade Angel.png
227KB, 375x523px
>>55395936
>>
File: Xavier Renegade Angel.png (228KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Xavier Renegade Angel.png
228KB, 375x523px
>>55396662
oh, whoops
>>
>>55396081
re: star struck, supposed to be a pun, but seeing your perspective I agree that there is more potential in that name for a "renown-matters."

Re: Dammur
It is supposed to be a very flavorful card. Basically, King hires knight to go search for missing daughter. I do see your point about Mardu though. This will definitely require some reworking.

I only added lifelink since curiousity is a u/g effect and I wanted to add some white to it (although I suppose the tutor ability already does that to an extent).

Thanks for your comments, helpful stuff.
>>
File: Osha, the Conceited.png (331KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Osha, the Conceited.png
331KB, 375x523px
>>
>>55400119
Really sucks that there's no reliable way toget counters on it by itself. Going further, the Grandeur ability is worthless in singleton formats like EDH.
>>
>>55394664
Actually, WU Tokens seems like a great idea for a draft archetype. I'll get on that.
>>
>>55400119
Don't use MTGCardsmith. the template is absolute trash, it just looks so ugly.
>>
File: download.jpg (385KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
385KB, 1875x523px
Speedster post. I'm pretty sure most of these are finished, but let me know. Slowly rebuilding my set.

As for flavor, all these characters pull their powers from the Speed Force, basically a magic dimension that allows writers to handwave how speedsters break the laws of physics.

Barry's ability is an interpretation of a speed force power that allows the user to steal speed from or grant speed to person.

Bart's ability is from his ability to create essentially clones through the Speed Force, which I believe he called scouts.

Jay doesn't have too much of an explanation, just stuff related to teamwork since he lead the JSA. I guess it could be seen as another version of what I mentioned with Barry.

Jesse is a speedster with superstrength, due to combining the powers of her father and mother (respectively). Thus higher base stats plus trample and ping-strike.

Wally's ability is from something he showed off in JLA, which he called the "infinite mass punch." Continually building up speed over and over before, so his power grows increasingly each time he attacks.

Might move onto the evil speedsters next, never did much with them before.
>>
>>55404094
And yes, I'm quite aware that none of the characters called "The Flash" have Flash, you don't have to point it out.
>>
>>55404094
Just to keep like things in line, I would suggest using Velocity counters (used by Tornado and more notably Daredevil Dragster). I actually think these are all pretty good. Surprised to see no double strike anywhere from a speed keyword representation perspective but fine. Only thing that kinda bugs me is, is there a reason Bart doesnt just make clones of himself instead of making 1/1 elementals? Just from a mechanical perspective I like the idea of a guy that builds up speed and makes more and more after images each turn and it sounds like thats what he does so Im wondering why he doesnt clone.

Also I didnt know Flash's thing was that he sort of "stole" speed.
>>
>>55404251
Also to clarify obviously I mean nonlegendary tokens, like how the new jace works, now that we have that technology
>>
File: Quentin Beck Mysterio.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Quentin Beck Mysterio.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>55404251
Eh, I tried velocity counters before, it just never felt right to me. I normally try to use pre-existing counters, but I think I'll stick with speed counters for now.

Not entirely sure on Bart, might've been part of some feedback I'd gotten earlier. If I do decide to make the tokens near-perfect clones of him (ie. like Gemini Engine, the tokens will have the same P/T but will be vanilla), and keep him at 2/2, how should I cost him then? Should I then reduce his stats?

>Also I didnt know Flash's thing was that he sort of "stole" speed.
It doesn't really get brought up much. Normally, speedsters get speed from the Speed Force, they don't have to "steal" it from anyone. I forget the specifics, but there was a time when a speedster (I think it was Jay) was trapped in Ancient Egypt. He was able to escape by getting Black Adam's help. They both ran as fast as possible, then the speedster took all the speed that Black Adam had built up, which allowed him to travel into the future (the speedster's present).

>>55404286
I actually had a number of cards that made token copies of legendary creatures, and people would suggest I simply say they're not legends. I was always ambivalent about it, but now that the new Jace came out, I've embraced it.
>>
>>55404361
I mean, the flavor of these guys is that they build up speed represented by speed counters, right? Thats kinda what velocity is. It doesn't really matter I guess but it seems unnecessary, especially since the Dragster is pretty much the same flavor.

Also I think youd design this guy like a Slith if he made clones right? Thats kinda whats going on. Actually thats kinda what it was before too. If he attacks and lives he does more damage the next turn in effect. Not sure specific stats but I think thats your starting point. I think at most you could cost it at 4 as a 2/2 to be super safe since its kind of like a double Slith.
>>
>>55404484
Are you talking about Quentin or Bart now? Quentin I like as he is, Bart I want the tokens to be only temporary. But I do like your idea. Well, I've been meaning to make a design for Multiple Man, I think I'll use that. Thanks.
>>
>>55404509
It was bart and the tokens are temporary yeah. I was just using slitha as the frame of referenxe for how to cost and stat it. Basically the play sequence for both is the same and gameplay wise the same thing is happening, just in different ways and on a bigger scale. Firewalker is a 1/1 just uses a +1/+1 counters to add more damage each turn if he has a safe attack, Bart adds speed counters to add 2 more damage each turn if hes a 2/2 if he hsd a safe attack
>>
File: Power Drain.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Power Drain.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
I just had an idea, but I'm not sure if it is any good. So is there any glaring reason why wizards has not printed a counterspell like this?Where if your opponent decides to pay for the counterspell, you get some beneficial effect or maybe on the contrary you get a negative effect as a trade off for a higher mana tax. there seems to be some design space to play around with.
>>
>>55405445
Just guessing here, but I think it's because it doesn't actually help you at all. Its presence increases the cost of the card, and I doubt anyone would be willing to pay more to get an almost insignificant bonus for what their soft counter fails, since nobody's going to cast this hoping that the counter fails.

This might be a bad comparison, but this reminds me a bit of what people were saying about Mindswipe. Sure, it sounds cool, but you can't use the burn on your own terms, and it's doubtful that the damage will hurt the opponent enough that if they pay the tax it's worth it. Yeah, it works pretty well when it succeeds, but again, it's a chance thing. It's an extra bonus that doesn't have anything to do with the main function of the card, and all it really does is increase the cost of the card, a bit of a dealbreaker when it comes to these things.

tl;dr You only use soft counters when you can't use hard counters. Anything that doesn't help counter a spell in this situation is just dead weight.

At least, that's my opinion.

Also, art in use, Prophetic Bolt.
>>
>>55405559
>tl;dr You only use soft counters when you can't use hard counters. Anything that doesn't help counter a spell in this situation is just dead weight.
Adding to this: I'm not taking into account extra cost due to flexibility, like modal spells for example. An extra cost for the extra flexibility is perfectly reasonable.
>>
>>55405445
>>55405559
I feel like a big thing with it is that the extra effect would need to be more substantial in terms of card advantage, giving you a reason to actually cast it when an opponent could pay.

For example, a 2 mana counterspell that counters it unless your opponent pays 1 could work if it let you draw 2 cards when they paid. That would be sufficient as a 2 mana counter in a lot of situations where they don't have the extra, but in case they do sneak out 1 mana suddenly, they're also left with you having more cards than you started with, getting a relatively efficient draw spell.

Granted, then you're back to a browbeat style effect, and it's not really useful for a hard counter so much as trying to make your opponent gauge whether or not its worth forcing out that spell.

I think it has potential, but it might be hard to make it feel right.
>>
>>55300197
You have way too many types of counters going on.
That much bookkeeping would be brutal.
>>
File: Dammur Distraught Monarch.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
45KB, 375x523px
>>55395470
Re-did Dammur to make him a little more elegant.
>>
File: Bolroth the Outlaw.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bolroth the Outlaw.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>55396081
>>55409249
I've also created a Mardu Knight lord to appease the edge lords :P
>>
File: Dammur Distraught Monarch.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
48KB, 375x523px
>>55409249
Added flavor text
>>
>>55409249
>>55409264
Not the guy who originally suggested WBR for the Knight lord, but the factor for that is the fact that Knights only really show up in those colors. Thus, a WUG lord that benefits knights feels out of place, since UG doesn't really get those. Unless you stick in a bunch of multicolor or hybrid knights or bend them into those colors just for the set, it'll feel weird. And of course, bending them like that only really works if it's supposed to be tribal.

Better would be to have it be a WUG lord for humans or soldiers if that's your aim, but it also depends a lot on how the set is going to be divided up in regards to colors, factions, mechanics, etc.
>>
>>55296301
Grill R
Instant
Target player may have ~ deal 3 damage to him or her. If they don't, look at that player's hand and the top card of their library.

Unstoppable Phytohydra 3GG
Creature- Plant Hydra
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, an opponent chooses one-
*You create a 4/4 green Plant Beast creature token
*Put four +1/+1 counters on ~.
3/3

See The Light 4WW
Sorcery
Target creature's controller chooses one-
*You gain control of that creature
*Exile that creature and you gain life equal to its converted mana cost

Study Aid 2U
Enchantment- Aura Curse
Enchant Player
Whenever enchanted player draws a card, they may reveal it. If they don't, you may draw a card.

Test of Loyalty 3BB
Sorcery
Target opponent may lose half their life, rounded up. If they don't, destroy each creature they control.
>>
File: Torrential Tribute.png (260KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Torrential Tribute.png
260KB, 375x523px
tried to adapt a yugioh card to mtg
>>
File: Kimaris Legionnaire.png (286KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kimaris Legionnaire.png
286KB, 375x523px
>>
File: S.T.A.R. Labs.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
S.T.A.R. Labs.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Trying to see if I can get a cycle out of this. Rare legendary lands, ETB tapped, tap for colorless, sac for a dual-color cost.

Flavor: Honestly it's basically just lifted from Project Cadmus, but I already have a card for them. Though I suppose you could say this is inspired by the DCAU version, where they cloned Supergirl.

>>55409649
Not entirely sure how to judge this, since it basically hard removes when one of your creatures, but can soft remove multiple opponent creatures. But at the same time, you have to sac a pretty pricey creature to get the most out of it. Maybe instead make it destroy X creatures with total CMC X or less? Not really Blue though, so I guess it would just be mono-Black then.

>>55410100
Interesting, but not entirely sure how to judge, sorry.
>>
>>55411769
TT guy, I was going for a soft board wipe, and the black would be good for reanimator decks i guess
>>
>>55411769
It's alright.

>>55405445
At 3 mana its worse than Cancel, no matter what the other upside is. 2 or less cmc limits how you can develop it.

>>55400119
This is all round very weak.

>>55379126
This is very black and a little green.
>>
>>55412981
You are aware that all non conditional hard counters have UU in their cost? limiting splashability in both standard and limited gameplay? saying that cancel is straight up better than any other 2U counterspell is a bad comparison, as you are trading away power for ease of casting.
What you are saying amounts to saying that spells like calculated dismissal, convolute and frightful decision should never have been printed.
>>
>>55414887
>You are aware that all non conditional hard counters have UU in their cost?
Not him, and I'm sorry for being that guy, but Dromar's Charm, Psychic Strike, and Fall of the Gavel. And if you get into hard counters with downsides that benefit the opponent, you get stuff like Arcane Denial and Vex.
>>
Fair, but those first three are all counter spells that have even less of a splashable manacosts than UU, being UBW, UB, and UW. As a UU spell can virtually be put in any deck containing, UB, UR, UB, UW while a card with UW can only be put into a deck with UWx. Thus not changing the argument of trading in power for castibility and vice versa trading castibility for power.
Indeed the claim the all hard nonconditional counterspells have UU in their cost was too overzealous, but it is clear that the far majority of them is UU at the minimum.
And in the example of counter spells that give the opponent benefits it is also clear that you are trading away power for castibility as a vex is undeniably worse than a cancel in every aspect except for its mana cost.
>>
File: Grids Separation.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Grids Separation.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
Hopefully I remembered correctly how type-changing abilities work. I'm pretty sure the first token should work the way I want it, basically granting you the exiled creature's activated, continuous, and triggered abilities, but taking away its body. The flavor for this is that the sentient virus, Grid, took control of the cybernetics in Cyborg's body and ripped them away. Which technically means this card should probably work only on artifact creatures, but that's too narrow for me.

>>55412981
>This is very black and a little green.
I can live with that. Thanks.
>>
File: UB Soft Counter.jpg (169KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
UB Soft Counter.jpg
169KB, 744x1039px
>>55405445
I was somewhat inspired. Still not sure it's a good idea, but might as well try.
>>
File: Owen Mercer Boomer.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Owen Mercer Boomer.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
Bump.
>>
File: Black Aura Barbs.jpg (144KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Black Aura Barbs.jpg
144KB, 744x1039px
Worth keeping?
>>
>>55418442
This is all around way too cheap.
>>
>>55420138
Suggestions?
>>
>>55420246
make everything more expensive
>>
>>55420138
>>55420246
Wait, I messed up. 2UR for both the card and the ability? For some reason I thought Soulfire Grandmaster's ability was a lot cheaper.
>>
File: 1505279087941975.png (309KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1505279087941975.png
309KB, 375x523px
>>55296301
WHat does CCG think?
>>
>>55421461
Eh, sorry, just doesn't impress me very much. Isn't this thing a shapeshifting nightmare or something anyway? I'd say play around with clone effects in that case. Maybe discard abilities.
>>
>>55425969
I was trying to work off the theme that he preys on children -- you know, 1/1 creatures.
>>
File: Malevolent Phantasm.png (214KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Malevolent Phantasm.png
214KB, 375x523px
>>
>>55426233
Same feedback as last time: Neat ability, Flash should go on its own line above Flying, and this should probably cost more.
>>
>>55421461
Eat battery acid you slime
>>
>>55419397
Meh, there are better things you can do.
>>
File: Sage of Storms.png (273KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sage of Storms.png
273KB, 375x523px
>>
>>55426819
>deedeedee, deedeedee, deeee deedee deedeedeedee
>deedee deedeedee
>deedee deedeedee
>>
>>55426819
I like it. Very efficient mana production, tied to UR's desire to spam lots of spells. I think that helps prevent it from being quite as drastic in terms of pure ramp, especially since it only comes down on turn 3.

>>55426819
>>55426848
I also find it interesting that you both managed to reference two different songs with it.
Thread posts: 307
Thread images: 101

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.