[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is Judge Dredd cyberpunk? It's certainly retrofuturistic,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: dredd.jpg (152KB, 630x810px) Image search: [Google]
dredd.jpg
152KB, 630x810px
So is Judge Dredd cyberpunk? It's certainly retrofuturistic, after all. What is it?
>>
>>55291198
>So is Judge Dredd cyberpunk?
Non necessarily. Mega-City One is.
>>
You'll find a lot of people willing to discuss Dredd there, OP >>55269032

>>55291229
>Mega-City One is.
No. It's a futuristic dystopia. Sci-fi in an urban setting ≠ cyberpunk.
>>
>>55291198
It's cyberpunk as fuck, but with two deviations:

1) Rather than corporations running amok and growing beyond the power of the democratically elected government, the judicial system has run amok and grown beyond the power of the democratically elected government.

2) Rather than from the perspective of the gutter trash, it's from the perspective of the police.

Also,

3) It's over the top satire. Which... actually makes it fit with with cyberpunk even more. I mean, seriously, Snowcrash? Fuckin'A
>>
>>55295033
>there are people who actually think Snow Crash isn't a parody of cyberpunk fiction

It's weird is what it is.
>>
File: MCUlowlife1.jpg (346KB, 903x1071px) Image search: [Google]
MCUlowlife1.jpg
346KB, 903x1071px
>>55295033
>2) Rather than from the perspective of the gutter trash, it's from the perspective of the police.
>Implying the police can't be gutter trash too
>>
>>55295052
I went into it thinking it was serious.

I got to the part where this bad-ass samurai hitman is... delivering pizza... and I dropped it for 6 years. It's on page 3.

Once I accepted that the whole thing is satire, it's actually readable.
>>
File: social conditioning case study.png (778KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
social conditioning case study.png
778KB, 500x708px
>>55291198
>cyberpunk
>no cyber

I want to say that a setting needs more than weapons tech, robots, and punks to properly be cyberpunk. Am I missing something?
>>
>>55291488
This

"Cyberpunk" has a very specific meaning. It pertains to a tiny and short-lived but influential literary movement in US/Canadian science fiction that lasted less than ten years, involved maybe half a dozen authors, and was very, very, very much over and done with before you were born, unless you're an oldfag.

Cyberpunk was this early 80s tiny splinter subgenre, 90% of which was written by two authors, Bruce Sterling and William Gibson, most of which was published as filler in between "genetic engineering life extension Real Soon Now!" articles in a kind of skeevy dead-tree "Science!" magazine called "Omni," back during the Reagan Administration. "Omni" was owned by Bob Guccione, who also owned Hustler, and the same stable of editors and graphic artists handled both, which was pretty obvious.

Black leather jackets and mirrorshades != cyberpunk. Dystopia != cyberpunk. Anarchistic computer hacker heroes fighting The Man != cyberpunk, though that gets a little bit closer.

If you want to understand, go here:

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/~erich/cheaptruth/

"Cheap Truth" was a mimeographed "zine" published pseudonymously by Bruce Sterling, in which he talked at great length about what he felt was Wrong With Science Fiction Today ("today" being circa 1982, but less has changed than you'd think) and How To Do It Better. Cyberpunk explained by one of the creators.

You might want to read them in order.

After Cheap Truth for a while he wrote for a while the "Catscan" opinion columns for another skiffy "zine" called Catseye.

https://w2.eff.org/Misc/Publications/Bruce_Sterling/Catscan_columns/

In some of them he talks a bit more about what cyberpunk was (already, "was," past tense, and he was writing this stuff in 1992).
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.