[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good entry level tabletop RPG for someone who never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 21jlaskjdl.png (367KB, 529x684px) Image search: [Google]
21jlaskjdl.png
367KB, 529x684px
What's a good entry level tabletop RPG for someone who never played one? Also is there any viable way to do it for someone who has no friends and is not near any areas that host games?
>>
>>55281602
>What's a good entry level tabletop RPG for someone who never played one?
Ryuutama.

>Also is there any viable way to do it for someone who has no friends and is not near any areas that host games?
Internet.
>>
>>55281602
>>55282643 is a nice choice, if only pretty unusual, and you probably won't randomly stumble on group playing that.
Out of games that you are likely to encounter, If you want to move tokens on a grid, overcome obstacles, and roll for attack and damage - d&d5e.
If you want to to focus on roleplay, probably FATE or pbta games.

>Also is there any viable way to do it for someone who has no friends and is not near any areas that host games
Roll20, gamefinder threads for chosen system / facebook groups / reddit
>>
>>55281602

Don't listen to these fags. The best system for news is D&D 3.5.

Just be sure and include all the splatbooks or you won't have a full picture of what you're doing.
>>
Do u know how to play card quest? It's a game that I have no idea if it's popular outside of where I live. It's essentially an extremely barebones version of dnd with a card deck instead of a dice. You choose a race and you get some money and a location. Your goal is to just kill everyone else. A little like pathfinder too I guess. It's a nifty little alternative that requires little material.
>>
>>55281602
PbtA games often explain you how to play an rpg and are pretty simples.
Try out a couple.
Then FAE (before FATE) gives you another perspective on rpg logic.
Thirdly try some ORS/retroclones to understand where it all comes from.
>>
In my experience, the two stumbling stones for beginners are these:

*Your game is highly tactical and skirmish-oriented and has a lot of rules to understand.
*Your game plays in a highly complex background that's unintuitive to understand.

Those two potential learning factors are the typical entry barrier to beginners, which is why I prefer to start them off with stuff that plays in the here and now, like Cthulhu or the WOD or an equivalent setting - because it makes intuitively getting the setting very simple. And I use simple or simplified rules.

Otherwise, my experience is that beginner players that come to the table with absolutely no preconception of what they're supposed to do are almost always amazing players, because they're not fucked up in the head with a 1000 previous games and dos and don'ts, and just go hog wild and try to get the best out of the game.
>>
There are lots of good entry level games. my suggestions are:
- Find something that someone is running if you can. Starting as a player is easier than trying to start as a GM.
- Avoid systems where you get a recommendation to read anything more than the core rulebook before starting. Too much to try and remember in one go.

As for what system to play, that likely depends on what other people are willing to play/run.
>>
>>55282880
>The worst system for news is D&D 3.5.
FTFY. Even FATAL is better.
>>
GURPS. It's what I started with when I was 15.
>>
>>55282880
>>55284340

Disregard these fags

Savage Worlds
>>
File: the internet.jpg (83KB, 424x514px) Image search: [Google]
the internet.jpg
83KB, 424x514px
>>55281602
>What's a good entry level tabletop RPG for someone who never played one?
Honestly, it's best if you can find people to play with to learn from, in which case you play what they play. Granted, they will probably be terrible at actually teaching you, but that's life.

Otherwise, RISUS or Lasers and Feelings are good games to do for one night as an introduction to the basic ideas. They are one page long and very simple, but will teach you the basics. After that, you can move to something like Savage Worlds or FATE, which are good early games. I would avoid Dungeons and Dragons, GURPS, Shadowrun, or any of the 40k stuff unless you are really into details and rules and memorization, because they have a lot of those things.

>is there any viable way to do it for someone who has no friends and is not near any areas that host games
If you don't have games stores you can try college clubs, but assuming none of that is available, you can use the internet. Roll20 is not too bad. People will talk a lot about how horrible the groups are on there, but honestly, they're not much different than the people you'd meet at a club or store. Or anywhere in this hobby. Or in most hobbies. Most will be intolerable assholes or creeps. A few will be okay. You'll probably have to sort through a lot of losers before you find people you get along with well.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.