[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: together.jpg (48KB, 536x470px) Image search: [Google]
together.jpg
48KB, 536x470px
My initial look into Forgeworld and GW prices are heartbreaking.

How does someone get as many minis as possible to begin to learn to paint without wasting a fortune by ruining a one-off model?
>>
>>55268656
Ebay some garbage, usually it'll be horribly painted so throw it in a tub of methylated spirits to soak a while then go at it with a toothbrush.
>>
>>55268690
metho doesn't dissolve the plastic?
>>
>>55268694
Methylated spirits don't, no.
>>
Something tells me you're grossly underestimating how long it'll take you to paint a mini to good standards. Sure, the people who know their shit can do it pretty quickly, but you have many years of practice ahead of you before you reach that point.

And since you've been looking at GW and Forgeworld, you should already have noticed that some minis come with a bunch in pone pack. So, you know, not one offs. But that was somehow too hard to grasp.
>>
>>55268716
You're being needlessly hostile and driving someone away from the hobby. I don't get it.

Does anyone else have some tips for beginners which don't involve chastising me for my self-evident lack of experience?
>>
>>55268656
Don't think about building your first army: think about building your first killteam. Go from there.
>>
>>55271890
If your feefees are hurt so easily by that post we don't want you, maybe try another game, like snakes and ladders?
>>
>>55268656
Start by painting up some army men. Walmart has a set called the Corp that look pretty good for sci-fi army men. $10 for a bucket of figures, vehicles, and terrain.
>>
>>55268656
If you are looking at doing fantasy toy's r us has a bunch of army men fantasy buckets.

Mythical warriors
Pirates vs skeletons
Knights
>>
>>55271890
Thin your paints, take your time, wear deodourant and always take a towel with you on holiday.
>>
>>55271890
>You're being needlessly hostile and driving someone away from the hobby. I don't get it.

4chan has an over abundance of 12 year old shitposters. It is best to just ignore them.

>If your feefees are hurt so easily by that post we don't want you, maybe try another game, like snakes and ladders?

Case in point.
>>
>>55271924
>warhammer is for M E N

Sorry, I can't get the image of a forty-year-old hunched over a tiny soldier while holding a toothpick out of my head...

I'm legitimately interested in the artistry.
>>
File: IMG_20170427_131715.jpg (10KB, 263x205px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170427_131715.jpg
10KB, 263x205px
>>55272021
That's a pretty solid idea, actually. Cheers!
>>
>>55272021
Best idea i heard all year.
>>
Take note that you can safely strip the paint off any mini and try again. If in the US, use Castrol Super Clean. Similar products exist elsewhere.
>>
>>55268656

Paint the same model many times

Ebay has certain sellers that sell legit GW stuff for very cheap.

Or buy second hand from reputable sellers. If it's on the sprue it's allright
>>
>>55271924
>we

Cowards always claim they represent a larger, unspoken group.
>>
>>55268656
1. Read the WIP thread (it is almost entirely 40K and WH painting and modeling), the 40k, AoS, and Fantasy generals are more about lore, gameplay, and shitposting.

2. Practice on things less expensive then GW first. Army men, plastic spoons, etc.

3. If you want to try painting real GW but are still unsure of yourself, buy metal. Metal is much easier to strip then plastic.

4. Clean whatever you are painting first. Water and an old toothbrush will work.

5. Prime. Priming is not optional. Use primer, not regular paint. Gesso makes for a good and cheap primer.

6. Do not slobber paint on the model. Use as little paint as possible to achieve a good solid color.

7. Learn from the criticism of others, learn from your mistakes.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.