[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 417
Thread images: 36

File: artyom-kim-dvalin-kim-2-s.jpg (179KB, 678x1000px) Image search: [Google]
artyom-kim-dvalin-kim-2-s.jpg
179KB, 678x1000px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55260846
>>
File: Gawain4.png (331KB, 512x724px) Image search: [Google]
Gawain4.png
331KB, 512x724px
Tell me about your noble (knight) characters

What made them decide to be a knight? Who is their squire and what are their goals in their station?
>>
How can I maximize the number of animal companions/familiars at my disposal.
Harder mode: no UA.
>>
File: chrome_2017-09-07_01-14-12.png (121KB, 1684x670px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-09-07_01-14-12.png
121KB, 1684x670px
Alright 5eg, find everything wrong with this Dan Dwiki race

GO
>>
>>55265883
All of it. Stop shitposting.
>>
>>55265802
If someone would update the Pantheons section of 5eTools to include all the pantheons and their deities, it would be much appreciated.
>>
>>55265883
Too much text, I didn't want to read it
>>
>>55265926
It's all in good fun nigga
>>
Apparently OrcPub is being kept alive with the selling of add-ons through DMsGuild. Hopefully the owner acts less like a greedy little bitch, Wizards is doing him a huge favor after he was basically caught stealing.
>>
>>55265828
>Magic Initiate: Find Familiar +1
>Ranger 3: BM +1
>Befriend Pseudodragon +1

>Wizard 6 (Necromancy)
>Druid 5 (Conjure Animals)
>Cast Conjure Animals with a 9th-level slot +32
>Cast Animate Dead with a 8th-level slot +12 (11+1 from Necromancy Wizard)

47 total
>>
Ran a deck of many things in my long-term campaign because I'm an absolute madman.

One player lost 10k XP, then gained it. One player got the gift of foresight to ask one question and get a true answer...and that was it.

Went better than expected.
>>
People with two first names are douchebags and can't be trusted.
>>
>>55266112
People with 3 first names are aight though
>>
>>55265828
alternatively.
Long term campaign, finger of death, dimension door.
>>
>>55265883

BPD the race?
>>
File: Drow Sorc.png (459KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Drow Sorc.png
459KB, 667x1000px
>>55265802
>Learns way fewer spells than a wizard
>Has a worse spell list than wizard (It's just the wizard spell list with rituals and good stuff torn out)
>Can spontaneous cast, but a wizard can still prepare more spells
>Can't learn spells outside of leveling up, while a wizard can learn them from enemy spellbooks.
>Bloodline traits are generally less useful than a Wizard's specialty school class
>Has meta-magic, but it's extremely situational, only like 2 or 3 of the options are actually worth using/spending a resource on, and it's STILL less useful than features like a wizards specialty school or spell mastery.

How do we fix Sorcerers?
In before "spellpoints", since that's still the same number of slots per level that they have already.
>>
File: 1480271155527.jpg (115KB, 798x1074px) Image search: [Google]
1480271155527.jpg
115KB, 798x1074px
What's the best way to make a strength-based bareknuckle brawler without digging into homebrew?
>>
>>55265883
>Score increase total being 0
>once ever hour
>doubling melee range instead on increasing it by 5'
>your bones being unattached only causes disadvantage on dex saves
>classes' primary ability
>classes' primary ability as it pertains to multiclassing
>classes' primary ability as it pertains to classes with multiple primary abilities
>3 additional STR skills
>gain prof in any items that are "related" to your class
>that example
>Disadvantage on checks involving speech when you can't speak
>Restless' theme doesn't match it's mechanics
>who takes a 4+ hour short rest
>you have no organs yet you can still eat, drink, and breath
>your mind needs to rest despite having no organs and therefore no brain; magic mind needs rest too though, I guess

You're welcome.
>>
>>55266206

Refluff and expand Wu-Jen Mystics, while retaining meta-magic.
>>
>>55266225
Str-focused monk it's shit

But every other option is worse
>>
>>55266206

I personally would like to see a totally different method of casting spells. Or something like the cleric, with an entirely different spell list.
>>
>>55266245

Was kinda expecting to hear Barb tbqh. There really doesn't seem to be any good way to do it.
>>
>>55266206
Some anon posted this a few days ago:

>Metamagic: You gain two more at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.
> Careful Spell: A chosen creature also takes no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.
> Distant Spell: When you cast a spell that has a range of touch, you can spend 1 sorcery point to make the range of the spell 60 feet. (from 30)
> Extended Spell: When you cast a spell that has a duration of 1 minute or longer, you can spend 2 sorcery points to increase its duration to 8 hours.
> Heightened Spell: You can do so after the creature rolls for the saving throw but before any effects of the roll occur.

>Sorcerous Origin: Also have Origin Spells, like a Cleric's Domain spells, but spells know
Draconic Bloodlines
1st chromatic orb, command
3rd darkvision, enlarge/reduce
5th fear, fly
7th dominate beast, polymorph
9th scrying

Storm Sorcery
1st fog cloud, thunderwave
3rd gust of wind, levitate
5th call lightning, sleet storm
7th conjure minor elementals*, ice storm
9th conjure elemental**

* Unless you gain this spell from another source, you can summon only smoke, steam, ice, or dust mephits with it.
** Unless you gain this spell from another source, you can summon only air elementals with it. Wild Magic

Wild Magic
1st color spray, chaos bolt (UA)
3rd blur, misty step
5th blink, hypnotic pattern
7th dimension door, confusion
9th creation
>>
>>55266303
Barb tavern brawler really is a pretty fun build.
Most of your consistent damage is coming from your str and rage bonus damage anyway. Who gives a fuck about the weapon dice.

Pick up whatever is lying around and smash people with it since you're proficient with all improvised weapons.
Max your str and con, of course. Maybe pick up the tough feat and be a bear barb just so that you never die.
>>
>>55266206
Spell Points is good because you can cast 30 fireballs or 50 invisibilities or 75 shields as needed.

Otherwise give them bonus like domain spells...>>55266332 yeah like this. This is what I currently have.

Sorcerer Changes
Can choose to use Spell Point system, combine Spell Point and Sorcery Points into one pool
Pick a spell at each spell level from any non sorcerer spell list to add to your list of known spells, must fit some kind of theme that fits your character
>>
>>55266360
>must fit some kind of theme that fits your character

my sorcerer is eclectic and loves clearing dungeons without dying so everything fits that theme thanks dm
>>
>>55266206
To add to the discussion: spell points is one of the most retarded variant rules, following flanking.
The game wasn't designed around them, specially that you shouldn't get spell points for 6th level slots and after, and 19th and 20th grant spell points for the second 6th and 7th slots but you aren't allowed to cast them a second time.

You can cast one spell of 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th and still be able to cast a 5th level spell 12 times.
>>
>>55266388
good things none of my players are like that then ^:)
>>
>>55266046
I sometimes add a single card from the Deck as a bit of treasure. It's sleeved, so they don't accidentally draw it, but it's always there. I even pre-drew the card and handed it to them in a real sleeve to sell it.

It's been over a year and despite multiple near total party wipes, several dungeons gone wrong, and utter disasters, they are too afraid to draw it. What went wrong?
>>
>>55266428
You gave them 1 card and pre drew it. They know it's nothing good.
>>
>>55266206
By spending more time designing around the strengths and weaknesses of classes who draw strength from their natural abilities (Sorcerer, Monk, Barbarian) and classes that draw strength from gear (Fighter, Wizard).
>>
>>55266428
I gave a real deck to them to draw and let them cut shuffle and draw whatever one they wanted so they knew I wasn't fucking with them.

Trust your players. Trust yourself. Trust the universe.
>>
How do I roll an elf barbarian?
>>
Is there a VERY abridged set of DnD rules that retains all the cool stuff like massive spell lists, acrobatics rope climbing armies persuasion etc and just makes combat simpler and more streamlined? Me and my party of normies want to play, but I fear exposing them to the full rules will just make them leave.

So far thinking of using this:
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1425/08/1425086033948.pdf
But fear it might be too simple.
>>
>>55266438
It wasn't.

>>55266607
To be fair, when I pre-drew it, I still let one of them do the actual honor. I just didn't let him see it.

It was the one that immediately turned an ally into an enemy.
>>
>>55266635
5e's combat is already pretty simple. How stupid are your players?
>>
>>55266650
You mean the one that turns a random NPC somewhere in the world hostile?
>>
File: Elf Warlock.jpg (110KB, 640x1103px) Image search: [Google]
Elf Warlock.jpg
110KB, 640x1103px
>>55266610
With dice and a character sheet.
>>
>>55266652
Fairly smart but they are not going to take the time to read 114 pages of basic player rules at wizards.com
>>
>>55266700
Tell them to read the 30 pages of chapters 6-8.
>>
>>55265802
Dworf Barbarian, Dworf Fighter, or ganome rogue? I can't decide!
>>
>>55266655
I believe the players are supposed to know them. Or, that's how I would have run it. Had they drawn it. The campaign basically ended with them wanting to move onto a new game/campaign, so I peeked finally.
>>
>>55266700
Tell them to read the their class and race then explain combat as it happens the first time.
>>
>>55266635
Your players might need special ed
>>
File: 1468462521668.png (102KB, 453x443px) Image search: [Google]
1468462521668.png
102KB, 453x443px
>>55266635
D&D: The Imageboard Post
>You play as a hero good guy. You can choose either a sword, bow and arrows, or a magic staff. Also think of two things your character is good at doing or knowing about. You can make up whatever else you want about your guy that's cool.
>You are in a group of other adventurers. You guys are all in a dark dungeon filled with monsters and treasure. Your goal is to get to the end of dungeon and kill the evil Skeleton Wizard at the end.
>The Dungeon Master will tell you where you are and what you see in front of you, and what the monsters are doing.
>Each player takes a turn trying to do something. You can either attack a monster with your weapon, or try to jump or see or mess with an object or remember something. To do this, you say what you try to do, then you roll the 20-sided dice and see what number you got. If it's something your character is good at, add +5. Otherwise just use the dice number.
>If your number is 15 or more, you hit the monster or did the thing you tried to do. Otherwise you missed or didn't do it right. The Dungeon Master will tell you exactly what happens.
>If you have the sword, you can attack one monster right in front of you. If you have the bow and arrows you can attack one monster far away. If you have the magic staff you can shoot a fireball at that hits all the monsters.
>When you try to hit a monster, if you hit them, then roll a six sided dice and see what number you got. If you have a sword then add +2. Otherwise just take the number yo rolled. That's how much you hurt the monster. If a monster gets hurt enough it dies and you get some treasure. The DM will keep track of how much the monster is hurt and he'll tell you when it's dead.
>The monsters can attack you too. When a monster attacks you the DM rolls the twenty-sided dice.
>Eventually you will fight the Evil Skeleton Wizard. He uses evil magic that will mess you up and he can summon more monsters. You need to hurt him a lot to kill him.
>>
File: Duergar2.jpg (7KB, 202x249px) Image search: [Google]
Duergar2.jpg
7KB, 202x249px
How do you handle Retired PC's in your 5e games?

Do they still persist while not being played? (Still having an effect on their world, owning property, perfecting their Craft/Art? Encountered as NPC's?)

I have two players in my group that are retiring their Wizard and Artificer, both level 7. For new PC's.

The players still want to make improvements to their 'HUB' (House) that the Group uses while they are in town.

-The Wizard wants to work on spellcasting in the "downtime" of not playing him, casting Once-a-Day spells on the Home until they are permanent.
-The Artificer wants to perfect his Mechanical Companion and to use his abilities to open a shop to sell his crafted wares (Bags of Holdings, Sending stones, etc.) to create an income for the group.

How would you personally handle this? Advice? Input?

Anything would be appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>>55266635
yeah, it's called 5e.

Your players don't have to read every part of the basic rules, just those that apply to their character. As long as they know 1. how to roll attack and damage in combat, 2. how to do a skill check or saving throw, 3. what their class features and spells do, that's basically 95% of the game right there.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Combat#content

This should be enough for players to know how to combat. Skill throws and saving throws are incredibly easy; they're just 1d20 + relevant stat modifier + proficiency bonus if you're proficient like 90% of the time.

For their class features and spells, you can give them the roll20 page on it, but it only has one of the archetypes for every class. The others are available online elsewhere, notably the d&d 5th edition wiki. Or you can just pirate the full PHB and give them just the pages with classes. Again, they don't gotta read every single class, just the ones they're playing. There are options that are published outside the PHB, but if you're a new GM fuck that shit
>>
>>55266892
>Magic is OP
>No Dragon in Dungeons & Dragons
9/10 system would play the shit out of.
>>
>>55266973
I would feel weird about the retired characters still helping out the group so directly. If they're leaving the party, they should probably leave the group too, not stick around and run a lemonade stand. Of course, nothing stopping them from finding their own house together and doing all that, then providing aid to the group every now and then.

Then again, I've never DM'd, so others might have better advice.
>>
File: WhiteDragonTown.jpg (401KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WhiteDragonTown.jpg
401KB, 1920x1080px
>>55267015
Your input is still appreciated.
>>
>>55266973
I've used PCs from previous games as NPCs, If the old characters won't be played anymore, they should be paid for their services by the party that is still adventuring. Maybe a discount because they're friends. Or have the base be attacked late in the day after they've spent all their resources and die defending the homestead.
>>
How good is Arcana Cleric?
>>
I'm going to be making a human fighter. I want to use a pole arm and take the sentry and polearm master feats. What else would you recommend for this build?
>>
>>55267530
Maybe also Great Weapon Master.
>>
Friends, how would you go about making the Cyrinnishad an item? Use Vecna's book as a model?

PCs are in a plot line involving something akin to the times of trouble but in a modified world.
>>
>>55267623
Where was Vecna's book statted?
The Cyrinishad bends all who read it to think of Cyric as the Only One and True God, even Cyric.
>>
>>55267738
Well, at least the Book of Vile Darkness was statted. It isn't really absolutely authored by Vecna, but that is the leading theory.

Perhaps a mechanical effect of reading the Cyrinishad is a hyper charm effect placed against those who read it and you have to be forcibly stopped from reading it by an outside force else the charm becomes permanent?
>>
>>55267755
You have to also give it an absurd DC to resist because the contents of the book affected even gods. I would even say you need to be forcibly removed from reading it by another god.
>>
>>55267776
A way to counter it would be to have another divinely inspired tome, the True Life of Cyric.
>>
>>55267776
If it's that powerful how do we know what's in it isn't actually true? Just wondering
>>
>>55267776
I figured instead of an absurd DC, I'd just make it up to the other party members to pull someone away from the book itself before they complete it as once you start, you can not stop.

Restoration spells perhaps could aid in fixing those intensely charmed by it, but that is a big maybe.
>>
>>55267796
It's divine propoganda in divine artifact form, well mortal created but forcibly inspired by the direct guidance of Cyric. It just affects everyone and you literally can't stop reading it.
>>
>>55267800
Maybe you should read it before ignorantly blasting it as propaganda, I bet you don't even know what's in it
>>
>>55267797
That's not what the book did, once you start reading it you literally couldn't stop reading. If you had started you were compelled to finish it.
>>
>>55267810
You should read it first.
>>
>>55267813
All I'm finding is that you can't willingly stop. Assuming you could be subdued, you can be stopped from reading it.
>>
>>55267833
By then you would've already gone mad, with the absurd DC. There's a reason it's an insanely nasty artifact.

With a divine artifact, just being subdued wouldn't cut it.
>>
>>55267818
Who said I haven't? All I'm saying is maybe it's worth giving a shot, hm?
>>
>Although many paladins are devoted to gods of good, a paladin's power comes as much from a
commitment to justice itself as it does from a god. (PHB, p.82)
You fucking assholes. I trusted you when you said 'nuh uh, in 5e paladins get their powers oaths, not from gods'. But the quote above clearly states that it is 50/50.
>>
>>55267921
Did you bother to keep reading? Where they continue to talk about "whether sworn before a god's altar and the witness of a priest, in a sacred glade before nature spirits and fey beings, or in a moment of desperation and grief with the dead as the only witness, a paladin's oath is a powerful bond. It is a source of power that turns a devout warrior into a blessed champion".
Never go full retard.
>>
>>55267921
>>55267976
Looks like his post was only 50/100
>>
>>55268012
Topkek.
>>
>>55267976
Yeah right, let's totally ignore the text above and just pick whatever fits. The oath is what separates them from clerics, but they're still receiving their divine shit from someone. It might be more like
>I'm totally committing and I wouldn't mind divine powers!
instead of
>I pledge myself to you in particular, divine being.
but they're basically a mixture between cleric and warlock. They're on the receiving end of someone and if the gods altogether shit on them, they're powerless.
>>
>>55268059
Are you illiterate, can you understand the fact they're empowered by their oaths?

Sure, taking one aspect of the text can help you a lot, but if you can actually read, "different paladins focus on various aspects of the cause of righteousness, but all are bound by the oaths that grant them power to do their sacred work".

Never go full retard.
>>
>>55268112
Then where do oathbreakers get their powers from?
>>
>>55268147
By their broken oath, you retard.
There's a box for oathbreaker atonement.
>>
>A Hexblade can throw hand axes, light hammers, and daggers with CHA since they're melee weapons
Nice.
>>
>>55268112
This is exactly the shit people parrot every thread. People legitimately wish paladins were finally free from the gods and uniquely different from clerics, but they're still the same glorified jihadists they've always been.

>By 2nd level, you have learned to draw on divine magic through meditation and prayer to cast spells as a cleric does.
>Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your paladin spells, since their power derives from the strength of your convictions.
>A paladin who has broken a vow typically seeks absolution from a cleric who shares his or her faith or from another paladin of the same order.
>Oathbreakers exist.

Paladins are fighting machines that allow themselves to be fulled by divine energy from anyone who fits their motor type (oath). They don't need to pledge themselves to specific gods, but without them or without them and angels, they're fucked.
>>
>>55268206
If you can actually read, that's from the PHB.
If you can't understand the divine energy empowering paladins can be representative of their oaths and not necessarily empowered by deities, there's no helping your autism.

Why do warlocks form a boon with entities and only receive arcane and not divine energy?
>>
>>55268247
The way I always have seen it is it is like Clerics get their powers from their deity directly while Paladins get it from an oath sworn to the portfolio a deity oversees.

Portfolio =/= Deity. They may worship a specific deity but that is not where the power is drawn.
>>
>>55268261
Nah, they have oaths they have to uphold, the sum of which empowers them.
>>
>>55266360
> Spell points is good because you can cast 30 fireballs or 50 invisibilities or 75 shields as needed
You know sorcerer can do this normally, right? You can turn spell slots into sorcery points and visa versa.
>>
>>55268281
>You know sorcerer can do this normally, right?

With far less efficiency.
>>
>>55268261
This makes much more sense than >>55268279

>>55268247
>the divine energy empowering paladins can be representative of their oaths
Let me try to understand you. Saying
>I swear to spare the innocent and to uphold three or four other things!
and being really confident about this, like really hard, could grant me divine energy? Out of thin air, energy which didn't exist before, simply because I adopt this mindset? Is this the idea?

>Why do warlocks form a boon with entities and only receive arcane and not divine energy?
Because warlocks do not revere their patrons like clerics would. They also don't open themselves to receive power from virtually anything. They don't go around saying 'Who wants me? I take any bit of divinity I get'. They receive a link. Think about fiends. Asmodeus could have a range of warlock goons bound by pacts. Their contract gives them pact magic. At the same time he's revered as a god. The people who pray to him receive divine spells.
>>
So I heard toa had leaked

Anyone got the goods?
>>
How involved are the Gods in your campaign, /5eg/? I mean ever directly evolved.

Do you ever have campaigns centered around them? Do you just use minions and never the deity themselves?

i ask because i've usually stayed pretty far from the divine in previous campaigns and am dipping my toes in
>>
File: Screenshot_20170907-074506.png (279KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170907-074506.png
279KB, 720x1280px
Hasbots halting progress again
>>
>>55268367
>Out of thin air, energy which didn't exist before
I have always thought that the energy comes from the millions of other people who also have faith in those concepts and paladins just tap into that.
>>
I've never played a character with sunlight sensitivity before, but I'm thinking I'd like to within the next few campaigns. How have you guys handled sunlight sensitivity with your characters? Darkness and Devil's Sight seems like an obvious fix, but if anyone else has had success with another method, please share.
>>
>>55268393
Long sleeves and sunglasses, same as a battered wife.
>>
>>55268393
The only logical thing to do is to extinguish the sun.
>>
>>55268393
Reminder that sunlight sensitivity is an allergy to solar radiation and that >>55268401 does no more than a trench coat on a submarine reactor
>>
>>55268383
Getting gods directly involved is a recipe for disaster. I played in a campaign with a shit DM who basically had the gods pop up every five minutes to railroad us into the next pointless quest. He also had "epic" god fights where we sat there and watched him roll fistfuls of dice as gods fought each other. Any player who tried to intervene was zapped for arbitrary amounts of damage.

It wasn't even the worst thing about the campaign.
>>
>>55268393
Just remove the combat penalties, as the makes the races with it unplayable. They're fine after that.
>>
>>55268425
Is this actually defined anywhere? Mostly just curious, seems like every DM I've had has handled it differently.
>>
>>55268367
Why? Because you're an autistic retard?
This guy put it well >>55268386
And why can't you understand the concept of conviction irrespective of faith? The paladin is empowered by his ideals and by his convictions and beliefs in the oaths he upholds, not by divinity, which is more the cleric's province.

It isn't out of thin air, you blithering retard.

The warlocks have sold their soul or a piece of it to the entities in question, which is an intimately more personal relationship, and which is where they gain their powers from. Their link, by your logic should also be divine in nature but it isn't.
>>
>>55266232
>>you have no organs yet you can still eat, drink, and breath
You only need muscles to pretend to do it tho
jaw and tongue muscles to chew and swallow, rib muscles to breath in and out
>>
>>55268459
Yeah, couldn't tell you where exactly though, as I'm on the phone.

On the upside it doesn't trigger on things like the Daylight spell and other sources of bright light
>>
>>55268425

I sort of figured it would need more than just a pair of sunglasses to deal with. A couple things I've come up with while thinking about it now are: Shield Master feat could cancel out the disadvantage. Having a Druid ally with Call Lightning could work. Having an owl familiar to use the Help action is a possibility.

I wonder if simply casting a Fog Cloud in the air above you would suffice? Does heavy obscurement block sunlight?
>>
File: ring of death.jpg (26KB, 500x613px) Image search: [Google]
ring of death.jpg
26KB, 500x613px
>>55265802
Ya gotta help me 5e, I have given this ring to one of my PC's as part of their questline qnd I bqsed it on q Ring of Death magical unique item I read about, but now, for the life of me I can't find the info again... it had to do womething with that it was the ring of death itself and the wearer is always drawn to death, magical stuff happens when the ring gets blood on them and every day while wearing the ring there is a chance that death appears to claim his rightful dues. Anyone know what I am talking about?
>>
If using "animate dead" is bad, how should I make my necromancy wizard act? That study and research into the field is fine, but actually animating and controlling the dead is a hard line not to be crossed?
>>
>>55268731

When I played a necromancer, my primary concern, even before animating any corpses, was a way to disguise them. I had originally planned to simply gather up a bunch of sets of clothes, including cloaks with hoods (pretty much cover them head to toe), but DM had us in a setting with "automatons." So, I took it a step further: I gathered up the parts of rogue automatons we destroyed and used them to outfit my skeletons. If anyone asked, I was just a gnome tinkerer with a small squad of automaton protectors.
>>
>>55268768
Did anyone ever catch on to the strange stench?
>>
>>55268787

I figured that would have been a problem with zombies, but I've not known bones to produce much smell on their own. So no, no one ever caught on, luckily. There were some close calls with falling rocks and such, but never from smell.
>>
>>55268662
Rule of thumb: If it works for Vampires, it works for the drow
>>
>>55268817
I know alignment isn't really a big deal, but what was your characters alignment? I won't bullshit you, I just played a shitload of WC3, and always like the design of their necromancers. I kind of want to make a character who is dabbling and learning the stuff about necromancy and just kind of toes the line between being a scholar investigating and being really fucking spooky.
>>
File: Vannaka.png (19KB, 400x719px) Image search: [Google]
Vannaka.png
19KB, 400x719px
What would be a sick name for a band of crusading clerics of Bane? Bhaal works too
>>
>>55268862

Lawful evil. He was a guy part of a family who supernaturally prolongued their lives by becoming bound spirits after death.

>>55268861

Was thinking Duergar or Kobold, actually.
>>
>>55268731
DEPENDS
IT'S A PRETEND GAME
COME UP WITH A PLAUSIBLY "WELL" WRITTEN EXCUSE

>Your prayer to God asks you that you send back the strength of those whose was not yet time to fall to return
>Your fervent Devotion to law adjudicates that death gives no redemption and that their punishment must be more severe.
>You believe their wicked souls will find no peace until their bodies have fulfilled a greater service

I don't know, you tell me
>>
>>55268393
Accept the fact that nobody forced you to roll up a character with sunlight sensitivity and so you should just live with the disadvantage on those occasions where you're fighting but you're not in a dungeon and it's not nighttime. Those don't happen that often anyway.
>>
File: bestzombie.png (15KB, 221x343px) Image search: [Google]
bestzombie.png
15KB, 221x343px
>>55268895
Would having an undead harem make me evil?
These are the tough questions.
>>
>>55268883
Same deal. If it works for the vampire, it works for them

Heavy cast days do work for Vampires however
>>
Bumping out character ideas because I have nothing better to do. What do you think?
>Mountain Dwarf with a deformity- he's tall. Like, hella tall. 5;11~6 ft tall in fact.
>Family of merchants, grows up in a bookstore, ends up reading all the time because he's something of a shut-in due to his GROTESQUE HEIGHT
>Growing up in Dwarftown, he was always considered suspicious by other Dwarves due to his height and always reading books like some kind of nerd, some going as far as to assume he's a half-dwarf (Despite these literally not even existing)
>Beats the shit out of some other kid in Dwarf School after they suggest his mom fucks elves, gets expelled
>Ends up leaving Dwarftown at the young age of 30, practically still a kid, joins up as a guard for some Wizards on a merchant caravan
>Plot happens, gets his hands on "Magic for Dummies", ends up being an Abjuration Savant and working for the Wizard Syndicate as essentially a Wizard "problem solver", having a knack for dealing with other spellcasters

>Looks like an extremely buff average height Human Wizard with a huge beard, but is in fact a skinny (by Dwarf standards) and freakishly tall Dwarf
>Plan is to be Medium Armor/Shield and Quarterstaff as a somewhat more close range oriented Wizard, using Booming Blade as bread-and-butter cantrip until INT gets to 20 and Firebolt becomes better overall

The main reason I decided to do the tall gimmick was just because the idea of a Dwarf that gets butthurt at being called tall instead of short was amusing to me
>>
>>55268911
Zombies, skeletons and lich, yes, ghosts, Vampires and devourers, no.

Flesh Golem are not evil, just sad.
>>
>>55268924
Anon, dwarves wouldn't make fun of a dwarf just for being tall.

Dwarves make fun of dwarves for having a scraggly beard or not enough gold. Real dwarf things
>>
>>55268724
no idea, but that seems like a cool idea nonetheless!
>>
Do any of you Anons ever put Allignment restrictions on your campaigns to stop people going off on a tangent and slowing down the story?
>>
High tier:

Dawnforgedcast, Koebel

Mid tier:

WebDM, Nerdarchy, Colville

Low tier:

Mercer, AngryGM
>>
>>55268941
No, I put character personality restrictions, I don't give a flying fuck about their alignment as long as they don't make psychotic murderers, commies devoted to bringing world revolution or lolrandumbxD retards.
>>
>>55268936
It's more of the being really tall AND being a book nerd. (These are Dwarf kids in Dwarf school after all)

But that's a good point, maybe his Merchant family is a bunch of broke-ass niggas or otherwise has a bad reputation to where the "half dwarf" angle might seem like it has more legitimacy, when really he's just tall because genetics and his parents are perfectly normal Dwarves.
>>
>>55268990
Hey man, dwarf people adopt humans once in a while. They're called "dwarves".
They had their Dwarf Mitzvah and know to write letters and send money to their poor loving mothers who carried them Twix their beards all their lives and now worry away at home for their baby
>>
>>55268941
I tell people I don't want evil characters and that I define CN as being 'looking out for myself and what I like without any regards for law or rules.'
>>
>>55268964
>Dawnforgedcast
Never put that smug piece of shit in any tier. He doesn't deserve to be listed anywhere.
>>
>>55268964
Only watched all of the mid tiers and I really like WebDM and Colville. Why can't Nerdarchy affort to buy to camera equipment if they do youtube content for years now?
>>
>>55269068
Why? He is constantly pumping good content and is very down to earth.

Yeah he did one bad thing years ago but you people need to grow up, who cares if he downvoted a few youtube channels, he is a very good content creator. I don't care if some 100 suscribers low quality channel with a shitty mic got a few downvotes.
>>
>>55267623
Cole?
>>
>>55268964
What about the occasional ProJared videos?
>>
>>55268874
The Big Guys
>>
>>55269184
They're not really a thing

I really like Dice, Camera, Action tho
>>
>>55268874
Deus Vult
>>
>>55268383
Only one has gotten directly involved and will face sever punishment for it since it is strictly forbidden. He wasn't even meddling beyond following the party actions to see if they were worth contacting about helping restore balance and stop the sundering of the weave, time and life itself.
>>
>>55268964
Angry is a treasure and is the only internet GM advice worth listening to.
>>
>>55268469
>The warlocks have sold their soul or a piece of it to the entities in question, which is an intimately more personal relationship, and which is where they gain their powers from. Their link, by your logic should also be divine in nature but it isn't.
That's absolutely not the case. That is your logic, not mine. You see two things of the same category while I see two completely separate qualities.

>And why can't you understand the concept of conviction irrespective of faith?
I'm not questioning the concept of conviction irrespective of faith. I was asking you if your idea was that conviction is enough to generate divine power. According to yourself, the answer is yes. To me, that is laughable. According to you, as I understand, every paladin fuels his or her power with their own oath. So it's nothing from the outside, but from the inside. It's personal. They do it. Alone. In other words, they power up themselves from having a certain conviction. Like as if they were miniature demigods, complete with divine powers, only originating from nothing except their own minds.

Contrary to that, >>55268386 suggests that people share conviction and generate divine power from that. Paladins tap into this divine power network. That is clearly 'from the outside'. I do not agree with it, but it sounds a lot better.
>>
>>55268724
No idea, but why don't you make something up?

For an avatar of Death, you could use the version of the deck of many things and buff/nerf it to accordingly to fit your campaign. Check out the section of 'artifacts' in the DMG for additional effects if you need any.
>>
I like nerdarchy, a bunch of old grognards and their love for the game.

Also, rate the monk archetypes cause I'm thinking of making one.
>>
>>55269661
I really like shadow but thats just me
Open hand is probably the best one
>>
>>55269661
Long Death
Open Hand
Sun Soul and Shadow
All the rogues
Barbarian with the Tavern Brawler feat
Moon Druid multiclassed with monk
Dm'ing the Martial Arts Adept monsters
Not playing
4 elements Monk
>>
>>55266336
To rebuttal, this what about resistances and immunities? My fist is not suddenly magic because of the Barb levels.
>>
>>55269523
Not him but I'll throw in my idea of why and how paladins work. While they aren't inherently bound to any good, but can worship one and have it be the driving reason, their oaths and force of character are what allow them to tap into these powers. Charisma can be spun as not just good looks but force of personality and will, this is how paladins produce magic, even divine, they are enforcing their will on the weave and it responds. As for divine beings not caring that someone not of faith is using divine magic is because they are an x person who aligns with their ideals even without being a follower. They simply ignore the paladin using such magics and syphoning it in a way unless they break oath and become something that no longer aligns with them.
>>
>>55269721
+1.

Especially the bottom 2.
>>
Can you guys recommend me some low level adventures that aren't about goblins and/or kobolds?
>>
>>55268964
>Dawnforgedcast
Eh, not a fan of him. He feels like someone who doesn't actually play the game much, but just theorycrafts alot like some /tg/ grognard.

Nerdarchy feels better because they obviously play the game, and mention issues that would only be apparent to someone actually playing.

Koebel I haven't heard of. Might have go check that and Colville out. I am missing some good channels to follow.

I don't understand the hate Mercer gets. I don't follow his channel, but that is more because that his content isnt interesting to me. Only the GM advice once worth much to me, and especially his game stream is something I would never waste time watching. I have my own games to play, yo.
>>
>>55270000
Hobgoblins, orcs, bullywugs, murder mystery
>>
>>55270000
Plant creatures, blights are usually pretty good
>>
>>55270000
Death House.
>>
>>55270000
DEATH HOUSE

Only present it as Durst House to your players. You don't want to give anything away
>>
>>55270000
>Kuo-toa fishmen have started worshipping the public fountain again
>Several rats nest in a headband of intellect, organising their bretheren into focused swarms the like of which hasn't been heard of since the last time James Herbert experimented with cocaine
>A small army of skellingtons is unearthed at an archeological site of interest nearby, scaring the town guard into inaction despite having the HP of a syphilis-ridden badger
>Syphilis-ridden badgers terrorise the local bordello, raising the question as to how they caught syphilis in the first place
>Capture a serial badgerbummer, preferably alive for questioning by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Wildlife Buggery
>>
>>55268941
Depends on the players and how well they role play, normally I tell people no evil characters in a party of good unless I absolutely trust they can role play it to work.
>>
>>55270265
>Syphilis-ridden badgers terrorise the local bordello, raising the question as to how they caught syphilis in the first place
Would play/10
>>
>>55270280
Fucking druids, every god damn time
>>
>>55269619
cheers bruv
>>
File: 1502063311796.jpg (26KB, 367x411px) Image search: [Google]
1502063311796.jpg
26KB, 367x411px
>>55270367
It brings up the interesting question, do other races have different STDs, do things like devils, demons and other things have their own form that if you polymorph you can catch after a "social" encounter? Someone should ask Mearls his opinion on the matter.
>>
>>55270430
>If I recall correctly, we discussed this early in the design process, and determined that the most streamlined solution is to make (most) STDs universal. That said, you can probably change that in your game and it won't have a significant mechanical impact.
>>
>>55266973
I'd mention the old PC via an NPC whom has something of previous PC's

"Oh this? Yeah some old timer gave it to me a while back"
>>
File: Untitled.png (75KB, 629x457px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
75KB, 629x457px
>>55266206
Well, the original schtick of the Sorcerer was supposed to be "less spells more often", as compared to the wizard's "more spells less often".

So what if you just increase the total number of spells per day and cantrips they get by 1 per spell level, so that their table ends up looking like pic?

The Sorcerer now closes out 20th level with 31 spell slots, as opposed to the wizard's 22. The Sorcerer now also gets a ton of cantrips, although warlocks still get the best use out of cantrips.
>>
>>55270020
>just theorycrafts a lot like some /tg/ grognard
True, and he's not even that good at it either, watch his EK videos.
>>
>>55270576
The problem there comes with how it multiclasses with other casters. All the other classes that have spells use them same progression (though at different rates) apart from warlock, but that works in a completely separate way that's fairly easy to distinguish when mixing classes.
Also I kinda like this fix but two level 9 spell slots is a bit much.
>>
I'm thinking about running a planescape adventure.

How is Tales from the Infinite Staircase? Can it be adapted for 5e? I've read that its pretty railroady, but that could be fixed
>>
>>55266973
Any retired PC becomes a non-player character. They stop being theirs and start being mine. The same happens if a character dies. If they resurrect one, they can have them back if they want.

What your groups tries to do is receive free stuff without taking the burden to manage another character.
>>
>>55270020
The main reason, at least from what I've read, is his style and popularity of CR with newer players can lead to what most would feel are bad games. The issue stems from them playing a heavily modified 5e because they ported from 3.5 to 5e for the stream, something a lot of new players forget. He also is a rule of cool DM, near the beginning but has kinda reigned it in, coupled with him being a very RP/story driven DM, ridiculous magic item creation(he should have seen them stacking shit so Vax can move as fast as a fucking dragon) and a couple of his homebrew classes like the Gunslinger port and Bloodhunter(Witcher). To me he's not the worst DM ever, he just has a very different style and was used to playing this in the comfort of their home with friends so fast and loose didn't matter. Now they are kinda the face of 5e for a chunk of normies and new players which can cause friction with people who play an entirely different way, mostly because from personal experience they expect most if not all games to run like CR.
>>
>>55270637
Mmn, multiclassing is a bit of a bitch, isn't it?

What if sorcerers automatically regained 1 spell slot per spell level for free each time they finish a short rest? So a 7th level sorcerer, on finishing a short rest, recovers 1 1st level, 1 2nd level, 1 3rd level, and 1 4th level spell slot.

You could leave it open, so that a sorcerer could take multiple short rests to recover their total spell slots; or if that's too unbalancing it could being able to do that once per day.
>>
>>55266225
Give your Fighter or Barbarian a d8 punch and call it a day.
>>
>>55270735
Also completely forgot his style of just pumping more hp into monsters for bigger fights is kinda annoying. It can lead to a false idea of how monsters work and what ways to build an interesting/challenging encounter.
>>
>>55270748
Personally I like the spell point system a lot, it gives the sorcerer flexibility and that's precisely what they're about. Create a 'mana pool' of points which they expend to cast spells and metamagic. It might need more refining than the one in the DMG, the metamagic options could be changed so that they're more equal in power and maybe even add some power source exclusive options.
Something like that.
>>
>>55270576
An additional cantrip doesn't really make sense for a "fewer spells" concept.
And >>55270637 is correct, that's too many slots of the higher levels. >>55270748 wouldn't fix it; if anything, it would mean even more high-level spell slots for sorcerers who can take multiple short rests per day.

End of the day, you really shouldn't mess with the spell table. And honestly, you should consider revising your view of the basic concept of sorcerers. They had more spell slots in 3e, and while that was their original appearance, they lost that identity immediately afterwards (since 4e had the same number of spells for everybody).
In 4e, their mechanical identity was "high damage, often to 2 targets at once." The issue with sorcerers in 5e is that they're once again limited to wizard spells (and not even all of those), which means they haven't really been given any mechanical identity in the edition. When a class has no identity, there's less of a reason to play it.
THAT'S the real problem with 5e sorcerers, and the reason some people refer to them as shitty wizards. They just don't have anything that makes them special.
>>
>>55270908
Favored Soul sorcerers might change that a little
>>
>>55270908
>THAT'S the real problem with 5e sorcerers, and the reason some people refer to them as shitty wizards. They just don't have anything that makes them special.
I think it's the archetypes. The sorcerer archetypes are not good enough and the wizard archetypes too good in comparison. Considering their lacking in spellcasting, sorcerers should have a lot more power in their various origins. Probably a lot more than usual compared to other archetypes. It would make sense thematically as well.
>>
>>55271125
A wizard with no archetype is as strong or stronger than a sorc with one so buffing the sorc archetypes to compensate would be nice.
>>
>>55270830
>It is wrong to change monsters to make fights challenging.
What?

As a GM, I almost never use the standard stats and abilities of anything. Why would I? It is so rare that they match what I need.

Why would this ever be a problem for a player?
>>
>>55271283
>>It is wrong to change monsters to make fights challenging.
I don't think making something a bigger HP sponge counts as making it challenging
>>
>>55271300
It gives the monsters more rounds to actually do things, so yes it does
>>
>>55271300
Not by itself, but it is part of it.

If a monster would be a great by itself, but its low HP makes it die did before it gets a chance to do anything, then increasing HP is perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>55271283
Changing stats is fine if that's what you need but just giving creatures more hp tends to cause battles to drag on, especially if they don't have interesting abilities and it's just a slugfest.

On that note can I bitch about level scaling for a second? Our DM is really good in most cases but ffs a group of random thugs should not be a severe threat to a level 13 party.
>>
>>55271283
Nice strawman you got there, when all you're doing is bloating hp it's not making it challenging or interesting. All it does is create an artificial difficulty that equates to, just hit it more. Most CR fights, that I've watched, have boiled down to this except the green dragon fights it's not interesting it's just tedious.

Changing things shouldn't be discouraged, the issue comes up when all you do is bloat hp and make that your boss fight.
>>
>>55271357
Oh those are actually rather normal strategy. A reminder of how powerful you have become in this world of ours
>>
>Party is 3v2 against a pair of gang members, one caster, one martial
>caster Blesses both
>they proceed to wipe the floor with the party, almost knocking two people out before our npc pilot kicks the door in to save us
Not having a fullcaster in the party is pretty suffering
>>
>>55271357
>a group of random thugs should not be a severe threat to a level 13 party.
Sounds like a Skyrim GM.

While I am all for the scaling of enemies (because fuck you, if a level 15 human exist, so does a level 15 goblin), but it has to be reasonable.

Outside of sheer luck, a group of thugs should never be a great to level 13 adventurers. If a group of thugs were able to be a threat, they wouldnt be robbing random bypassers. They would have so many opportunities that would be worth so much more, while also being far less risky.

Or just straight up dungein crawling, which also has a high chance of a very high yield, which highway robbers wouldnt.
>>
>>55271397
>A reminder of how powerful you have become
>a group of random thugs is still a threat
Do you lack reading comprehension?
>>
>>55270908
>They just don't have anything that makes them special.

The ability to cast notably more spells per day would make them special.
>>
>>55271416
Yeah. I mean, if you're level 13 and you're suddenly fighting 100 thugs, that's a no consequence reminder of how powerful you are, so that you have a point of reference when you go on to fight dragons
>>
>>55271387
Sure, if that is the absoutely only thing you do, and even then, certain monsters only need more HP to be a good fight against the a standard metagaming group of faggots, who aren't happy if they cant shit out 50+ damage on average per turn.

A GM has to adjust accordingly. Certain builds can one-shit any level appropriate enemy, and if that's the case, then you need to adjust the HP so it doesn't happen. That's not "a slugfest", that's making sure the game isnt boring as fuck.
>>
>>55271466
>100 thugs
Now I just have to ask if you're retarded
>>
>>55271447
It would, but it would also go counter to 5e's design principles vis-a-vis spellcasting and multiclassing.
The one thing sorcerers have that nobody else does is metamagic. Unfortunately, it seems like that's not enough to make them stand out mechanically. If you want to "fix" sorcerers, that's a better direction to explore - and I don't mean by having more sorcery points and converting them into spell slots, either.

>>55271466
I think the implication was that it's a small group of thugs which are threatening the party as much as a small group of thugs did 10 levels ago. Which WOULD be pretty fucking dumb.
I agree with your general philosophy of showing players they're badasses when they're at high levels. It just doesn't appear to be the case being discussed here.
>>
>>55271490
Jesus Christ, what crawled up your ass and died?
Take your aspie meds and leave
>>
>>55271405
>if a level 15 human exist, so does a level 15 goblin
Reminds me of a book we have. Not sure if it exists in English, but it was something like "Tribes at war" for 2nd edition.

Basically, it gave a lot of rules for some pretty bitching goblins. I still remember a gatekeeper who was a level 13 goblin fighter, just meant to ask the party (at around level 4) a few questions.

If they acted stupid and tried to attack him, he would wipe the floor with them. Not kill them, but there was no way any party had a reasonable chance of taking him down.

The entire idea was that, sure, humans have level 20 heroes, but so does goblins, and other other race with a larger society.
>>
>>55271532
>thinking a "random group of thugs" is more than 5 or 6
hmmm
>>
>>55271518

>>55271518
Yeah might have been a misreading.

Happens to me in one of my games. My DM is an absolute moron when it comes to combat design, do basically every session turn into an hour long slog in a white room scenario against say, 20 owlbears
>>
>>55271518
We have been over this.

Sorcerers need a better spell selection. Give then access to everything a wizard has, as well as a large chunk of druid and cleric spells, and they would instantly be on par with a wizard.

Or make that meta magic innate. Fuck those costs. It wouldn't even make them broken, not even balanced, just less shit, but with more clear strengths.
>>
Any good uses of the woodcarver tools? Making a sailor with a proficiency in it.
>>
>>55271565
That's how I run things. The world is a big place. Not all of it is level appropriate. It probably ultimately stems from me remembering playing Baldur's Gate and wandering into some random coastal cave at level 3 just wondering what's inside, and running afoul of a bunch of flesh golems who had exactly zero patience for my scrawny Thief ass.
>>
>>55271532
>random group do thugs
>100 people
What fucking groups does your party normally encounter? Because that is not a fucking group, that's a small army.
>>
>>55271617
Using downtime to carve stuff to make some cash
>>
File: lvl30 monk.jpg (131KB, 1024x1166px) Image search: [Google]
lvl30 monk.jpg
131KB, 1024x1166px
/5eg/, I come with but a simple request. How do I make my monk good? Home rules? Builds? I just wanna fist stuff /5eg/.
>>
>>55271711
>I just wanna fist stuff /5eg/.
Then I suggest a Bard.
>>
>>55271711
Warlock 2, Way of Shadow Monk X.

That gets quite good, with a ton of utility.

They aren't damage dealers. Don't make a damage dealer monk. You make the above, and then you throw darkness on some asshole wizard standig in the back, and then you rape him in the dark where he cant see shit.
>>
So I started running a SKT game
>Druid has 10 wisdom
>Bard is literally le seductive meme bard
>Rogue is le edgy rogue
Where did I go wrong /5eg/?
>>
I'm a new DM and I don't understand how to set things up. Can you guys help me out?

My Drow villain wants to summon a monster to put out the sun. His minions are also destroying temples of Pelor.
How can the summoning be done and how can the players have a chance to interfere? How do you build a plot like this into a series of adventures?
>>
>>55265824
My female Paladin is a noble. She has two older sisters, a twin brother and a younger brother. The boys are the true heirs, and my Paladin had to choose between finding her own path in life or serving one of her siblings. She believes that a Noble`s duty is to serve her people, so she chose the adventurers life with that as a goal.
>>
Is Hexblade Warlock any good?
>>
>read UA crap and wonder how the hell is everyone able to use all those bonus actions (Bard College of Swords)
>realize that fatass Mearls doesn't even limit bonus actions to one per turn, or at least doesn't use them for two weapon fighting
It all started to make sense when I realized what sort of initiative system he used.
>>
>>55271469
Or you could not be a hack and put in mooks, design an interesting mechanic or not play with min/maxing autists. It's almost like this discussion was how that's literally all Mercer does except in rare exceptions and this can give the wrong impression of how to make interesting encounters for the majority of players and not a bunch of autists on a Cambodian Surfboarding forum. So my next question is do you have reading comprehension issues or did you not bother reading the whole thing?
>>
>>55271782
They are searching for the legendary McGuffin artifact to do it, and they need to use it on a ritual on Mt. Plothook
>>
>>55271782
>How can the summoning be done and how can the players have a chance to interfere?
That's a question to you. Maybe the summoning is done by weakening the sun god by drawing dicks on the walls of his temples (razing them is fine too) and then bringing the world's shiniest amethyst to temple of Lolth so that she grants villain the extra bit of magic power he needs. Then the villain needs to go on the world's tallest mountain and use his newfound powers to recite a longass incantation and then the sun is forever covered.

The players can intervene by protecting temples, protecting the gem, destroying the gem, preventing of delivering the gem, preventing of finishing the final ritual or whatever. Typical PCs will probably decide to level all the mountains in the world so that there isn't a good ritual site or something stupid like that.
>>
>>55271774
Did you not have any input with them during character creation? You should never just let your players show up with a character they made themselves unless you've already played with them before and trust them not to pull this shit
>>
>>55269869
>Not him but I'll throw in my idea of why and how paladins work. While they aren't inherently bound to any good, but can worship one and have it be the driving reason, their oaths and force of character are what allow them to tap into these powers.

This is how Paladins have always worked.

Except in 4e, where they were pemenantly invested with power through rituals performed by a particular deity's priesthood.

And 4e only introduced that fluff because of decades of lots of people mistakenly believing that Paladins served the gods rather than being devoted to their oath and the ideals of their alignment.
>>
>>55271863
No, i read it, I just dont agree.

I get that you are *supposed* to create encounters in a certain way, but that is a contrives balancing system. And I have had a lot of good experience with making a single or 2 monsters be a legitimate threat, without being damage sponges.

Most of my fights end in 4 to 6 rounds, depending on luck. If I had used the monsters as stated in the MM, it would likely have been over in 1 or 2 rounds at most.

And adding "minions" will do:
1. Nothing at all, but leave a bunch of worthles minions to be cleaned up after the main threat was gone.
2. Quickly feel samey when done every single time.

I like to mix things up, your proposal would be to design encounters the same every single time, which would be fucking boring.

I haven't watched a lot critical roll, so I wouldnt know. But saying "HP bloat is bad, always!" Is wrong.
>>
What do you guys think about darklings?
>>
>>55271881
I had one player who I know is familiar with the system help out, someone just invited the bard who seems to have just hit randomize on a character creator, didn't even know her own race.
The edgy rogue is my friend and I'm just asking him to tone it down a little bit
>>
File: 1502230994715.gif (426KB, 250x232px) Image search: [Google]
1502230994715.gif
426KB, 250x232px
>>55271727
You cheeky dick waffle
>>
>>55265824
My Paladin for OotA is the child of a second marriage, where a human Baron married an elven commoner many regarded as a witch. Since he was a fourth son, he never cared much about ruling, preferring to ride and hunt and make out with serving girls.
When his father and half-brothers rode out to war, he found out that his mother really *was* a witch, and caught her as she was about to sacrifice a serving girl. He saved the girl, who became his squire, but he sent her with the Emerald Enclave so they could split up and confound the soldiers the Baroness sent to catch them. Reuniting with her is his main goal after leaving the Underdark.
>>
Do you guys expect a major rule change with the upcoming book? would you like to be changed or added to 5e?
>>
File: cheeky.jpg (26KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
cheeky.jpg
26KB, 720x480px
>>55272076
>>
>>55272094
>Do you guys expect a major rule change with the upcoming book?
Lol hell no
>>
>>55272094

I would like for the rules of two-weapon fighting to change, since it's pretty garbo.
>>
>>55272094
I want changes to two weapon fighting

>Need a feat just to use longsword and dagger
>>
>>55271748
Yeah, only do a level of monk first because Dex and Wis saves
>>
>>55271922
>"HP bloat is bad, always!"
Oh so it is reading comprehension because that's what Mercer does is HP bloat with very rare exceptions, nowhere did I say it's always bad, just that the impression CR gives is that's the only way to make an interesting encounter.
>>
>>55272151
But monk is Strength and Dex saves
>>
>>55272165
Dex saves Trump Warlock saves anyway
>>
I need background and character idea for Paladin. Was thinking about scourge aasimar, but i have not inspiration how to make the character actual character and not just bunch on numbers. Any ideas, elegan/tg/entlemen?
>>
>>55272094
yeah i am expecting something like 5.5e with rule changes for the skill system and different options for managing death
>>
>>55266332
Needs more fluffy spells. I also think it should probably be only five spells total, but definitely needs more fluffy spells.
>>
So how would a gambler class work?
>>
>>55268990
>>55268924
Dark Sun has muls, which are sterile, male-only Dwarf/Humans. They're completely bald (and hairless) and were originally taller than humans.

Forgotten Realm also has Half-Dwarves, but they're actually all Dwarves. Dwarves have been getting steadily taller throughout the ages due to breeding with Humans, especially during the days of 2E before the Thunder Blessing. Low Dwarven fertility rate (on the females' part) meant lots of Dwarves were running around acquiring read: kidnapping human maidens, who would give birth to children who were wholly Dwarf, just a bit taller. Dwarf DNA too stronk.
>>
>>55272262
poorly
>>
>>55272262
Someone who isn't an adventurer because that's just a hobby
>>
>>55272262
Like every class that rolls dice
>>
>>55272262
You stupid! Gambler is clearly background, not class.
>>
>>55271711
Ensure your power is maximum, like the picture you posted.
>>
>>55272262
rogue subclass
>>
>>55272278
>>55272291
>>55272293
>>55272310
I am talkIng about a MAGICAL GAMBLER, you know like wild magic but in every roll
>>
>>55272343
I refer you to my previous post:
>>55272278
>>
If you were DM, would you let a player use woodcarver tools to fashion his own arrows? Think it would be a good application.
>>
>>55271617
You're gonna carve a bunch of whalebone tchotchkes and make mad cash in the port towns off selling your scrimshaw.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrimshaw

Aside from just doodling on the bone, you can also carve it into useful stuff like combs (very popular with the ladies), jewelry, and statues.

Use wooden weapons and beat people with your ornate staves, clubs, and spears. Sell artisanal arrows.
>>
>>55272359
Yeah but I tell players not to track ammo past 1st level anyway.
>>
>>55272343
Oh then yeah this guy >>55272278 has it right, never have a class feature at the mercy of the DM. Especially when it's supposed to be it's "thing"
>>
>>55272359
Yeah, he would have to pick up arrow heads in town though
>>
>>55266020
He made a useful site and wanted compensation for his mobile app. That's not being greedy, he's putting in work.

The problem is that WotC owns the IP. What he should have done was approach them for a job working on the official DND Next stuff. Orcpub does a way better job than the official webapp.
>>
File: nonmetalarrows.jpg (20KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
nonmetalarrows.jpg
20KB, 450x338px
>>55272402
>putting lead or iron heads on most of your arrows
For what purpose
Knap fint or obsidian and lash it to your arrowhead.
Carve the wood to a point and fire-harden it.
Use your woodcarving skills on bone and make a pointy head.
Break a fucking glass bottle and shoot people with jagged shards of glass.
>>
>>55272343
Then go wild mage
>>
>>55272456
Then break your arrows when you shoot at anything with metal armor
>>
>>55272481
a) we're not fighting dudes in metal armor 90% of the time
b) don't shoot them in the chest
c) your metal-tipped arrow probably isn't any good to begin with after bouncing off or blunting itself on its way through metal armor
d) >putting metal heads on MOST of your arrows
>>
>>55265802
Someone sell me on 5e without making the usual excuses as other communities.
>5e literally invented roleplaying
>5e is balanced so it can't be broken (hahaha)
>multiple 5e characters of the same class aren't all sameface.jpg even though they all have the same options
>5e is so simple and easy to run
>combat isn't bland because it's theater of the mind
>>
>>55272481
>implying regular arrows would do any better versus metal armor
>>
File: izuna_jinkuro_1053.jpg (54KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
izuna_jinkuro_1053.jpg
54KB, 400x400px
>>55272365
Get money, seduce wenches. I like it.
>>
>>55272517
They won't break the arrow heads on impact. A blunt arrow you can resharpen. A shattered arrow you have to rebuild
>>
>>55272517
Any bow powerful enough to penetrate plate sees minimal gains from the material, rather than the shape, of its ammunition. So yeah, it's not a huge deal.
>>
>>55272508
Have you tried not playing DnD?
>>
>>55272552
>Bow powerful enough to penetrate plate
Unless you're looking at giants shooting ballista bolts at people, they don't exist
>>
>>55272508
No excuses. It's the latest version and mostly not bad. If you need more than that nothing I can say will sell you.
>>
>>55271612
>Give a class even better spell selection than wizard
That might fix the sorcerer against other casters but it will only perpetuate the caster/martial arguments. Currently, sorcerers don't have a ton more noncombat utility than rangers, and that's fine. That's a reasonable place for them to be - if they have their own niche/flavor.
Just making them more like wizards is not the answer.

At-will metamagic is an interesting thought. The more powerful options (Heightened Spell, Quickened Spell) should definitely NOT be at-will, but there' no problem with Careful Spell or even Distant Spell being applied to every spell you cast.
If you give level requirements to metamagics, even the more powerful ones become acceptable at-wills as a sort of capstone ability.
>>
>>55272558
>>55272622
So no good reasons to use 5e then? Gotcha.
>>
>>55272587
A windlassed crossbow could definitely manage it against medieval shitsteel and iron, sometimes, from the right range. That's obviously not the kind of crossbow anyone in D&D is running around with, but given this is heroic fantasy and your characters should be cooler than boring peasant crossbowmen, it wouldn't be out of place to have some kind of Strength-based archer just ripping some fuckoff huge crossbow back using the stirrup.
>>
>>55272508
>>5e literally invented roleplaying
>>5e is balanced so it can't be broken (hahaha)
>>multiple 5e characters of the same class aren't all sameface.jpg even though they all have the same options
>>5e is so simple and easy to run
All true
>>
>>55272729
it's fun and not an absolute clusterfuck like 3.5 and PF. If that isn't reason enough then so be it.
>>
>>55272729
What would be the point of trying? With your first post you showed you aren't here to be convinced or even discuss it. No use trying to convince someone who has already made up their mind so I'll ask again, have you tried not playing DnD?
>>
>>55272746
Why are you doubling up on the meme arrows?
>>
>>55272741
For manly men using Strength bows, you can't beat a gastraphetes. You cock that by shoving it into the ground.

Bonus: put metal on the sides of the slide and lock it in place and you have a swordbow. Cock your weapon by thrusting it in enemies' chests, then fire.
>>
>>55272339
>Gambler
Fate or Fold shouldn't use your reaction. Generally speaking, you should never use a reaction on your turn. (Plus rogues use their reaction for Uncanny Dodge)
Same for Rig the Game - shouldn't use a reaction (it has little meaning outside of combat anyway).
Coup de Grace should be 8 + sleight of hand bonus, to be consistent with all other DCs in the game.
Collect the Pot should possibly allow a wisdom saving throw (to resist the compulsion/realize you're being manipulated).
Overall, this subclass is actually really cool and surprisingly not overpowered. I'd actually play this if it were fixed.

>Flagellant
Sacrifice should not grant advantage over a creature if it wasn't damaged; this should be specified.
Humility is fine but the name doesn't make sense.
Same comment for Service. Also, a constitution saving throw to avoid psychic damage doesn't really make sense.
Overall, I wouldn't play it (not my flavor) but it seems fairly balanced.

Thank you for posting some actually balanced homebrew. We don't get that often enough.
>>
>>55272836
That's what happens when someone selects text before hitting the post number to quick reply to a post that already has arrowed text, and is too lazy to delete one set of arrows.
>>
>>55272896
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP8bqIgd5ro#t=0m40
>>
>>55272729
If your first post didn't make it obvious enough you're not here to actually be convinced, this one certainly does.
Congratulations on the epic baiting that got /5eg/ to admit 5e is a bad game. You are truly a master debater. Now go back to /pfg/ or whatever other hole you crawled out of if you're not here to discuss in good faith.
>>
Are rogues viable? They seem extremely situational and low damage.
>>
>>55272955
Their damage is acceptable, if a bit unreliable. They're very survivable in combat despite having low hp and relatively low AC.
But their true value is high levels of consistent, non-resource-draining utility.
If you want a combat monster, no, rogues aren't the right class, and it shouldn't be, so that's good. If you want to solve problems like a motherfucker, they're definitely "viable."
>>
>>55272955
Sneak attack keeps their damage competitive. ATs can get good mileage by using Booming Blade and Cunning Action to disengage and potentially force damage, too.
They're not DPR kings but they're competitive, not too squishy, and have a ton of utility both in and out of combat.
>>
>>55272955
I got way more use out of Cunning Action, Fast Hands, and Second-Story Work than I did out of Sneak Attack, though that's not to say that it wasn't useful.

But the ability to climb at full speed, Dash and Disengage as a bonus action without consuming any resource, or use the Use an Object action, was just gravy.
>>
is there a guide on how to make friends to play dnd with?
>>
File: 1503526447913.png (99KB, 1308x920px) Image search: [Google]
1503526447913.png
99KB, 1308x920px
>>55272955
They're a pretty good blend of combat and utility, although their features don't scale much at higher levels.
>>
>>55273092
Well, Google gave me this:

https://greatist.com/happiness/how-to-make-keep-friends

1. Do it blind
2. Be yourself
3. Get up close and personal
4. Be persistent
5. Set a goal
6. Say cheese
7. Don't take it personal
8. Think outside the box

The article itself goes into further detail.
>>
>>55273092
I have found D&D groups in the following ways.
1 - Joined a church group and was invited to a game
2 - Walked into a flgs and was asked if I was interested because they wanted a 3rd player
3 - invited by a friend of a friend because my friend said I was into that
4 - I was on a cross country bus and some nerds were going most of the way I was and needed something to do for 2 days
5 - one time at PAX East
6 - my pizza guy delivered on a night we were playing, next time he came around he asked me about it and invited me to hang out, we played some time later

Maybe I'm stupid lucky, D&D just keeps happening around me.
>>
>>55272955
They're skillmonkeys who aren't a slouch in melee and their crits are ridiculous. You're not going to be putting out consistently big damage like a GWM memer (who, let's be realistic, also doesn't perform as well as all paper calculations indicate) but you do get really silly when advantage comes into play.

Since you really need to land your sneaks, you should always be dual-wielding to get a second shot. This limits the amount of primary attack damage you can do and makes you a bit of a lightweight on the AC side since you have no shield, but you still have staying power thanks to Evasion and Uncanny Dodge. A Rogue has more than half a Fighter's HP, and he's going to take half damage on those attacks that do get through--this is actually quite useful when fighting very strong creatures, like the giants in SKT, since your Fighter is most likely going to eat a thrown boulder regardless of his AC.

There are other tricks that really ramp up your damage as a Rogue. If your party can coerce enemy movement (spells or effects that cause creatures to use their own speed to move, NOT forced movement like pushes and pulls) and trigger opportunity attacks from the Rogue, that's double the amount of Sneak Attack coming out. An easier option is a Battlemaster using Commander's Strike to give the Rogue an attack outside of his turn, or getting Riposite on the Rogue itself through Martial Adept so he can reaction-attack a creature who swung at him. Sentinel is useful (if a target next to you attacks your ally, you can opportunity attack them) but might cause the DM to throw more swings your way, so be wary. Obviously a Fighter/Rogue MC can be goofy if you use whips and Tunnel Master.

But you're mostly there to clown on all the skill checks in the game. This can actually have some real combat utility if your DM is amenable, though. Why attack a creature directly when you could be interacting with the environment to cause something to fall on them, for instance?
>>
>>55273092
>is there a guide on how to make friends to play dnd with?
Yes, "How to win friends and influence people", by Dale Carnegie
>>
Been awhile but I assume the mega trove got pruned? Anyway, as I've said, any good character sheets these days? I recall using something called Current Standard 1.4 and it really serviced me and my table well. Now we're going back at it, I was wondering if there's any good sheets up since then?
>>
>>55273109
What similar options is Thieves' Cant worse than? Druidic? How is it worse than Druidic?
>>
>>55273160
>playing one of the boogeymen of the Satanic moral panic of the 80s and 90s in a church
B-b-but the game totally teaches you how to cast spells like a real Warlock! That's demonic, Anon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfxXug5ZMdk
>>
>>55271782
>How can the summoning be done and how can the players have a chance to interfere? How do you build a plot like this into a series of adventures?

First, actually create a plan.

1) Destroy temples of Pelor, weakening the land's ties to the sun.

2) Perform the ceremony on the Winter Solstice, the longest night.

3) Collect several hundred pounds of powdered silver in order to draw the elaborate summoning circle.

4) Recite the incantation with 5x nth-level spellcasters capable of casting the Darkness spell. The more casters, the faster the ritual.

5) Sacrifice one (or more) priest(s) of Pelor at the center (or various points) of the circle. The more sacrifices, the faster the ritual.

Players can protect temples and rescue priests, investigate/disrupt the collection of the silver, crash the summoning and kill summoners during the ceremony.

Or, if all that fails, they can find some prophecy that reveals the weakness of the creature that's going to blot out the sun that will make it weak enough for them to kill when it's summoned. It'll need a couple hours after being summoned to gain enough strength to really reach out and blot out the sun.
>>
>>55273186
The description of "Bad" doesn't mean every instance of a bad feature needs to refer to other specific abilities, just that it's mostly useless or is shit compared to other features that come at the same level in other classes but do wildly different things.
>>
>>55272391
Exactly.

Literally the reason why wild sorcerers are either "okay" or "what the fuck are you doing" tier, because it depends entirely on GM fiat. There is literally no indication in the rules of how it is supposed to work, just that "the GM decided when shit might happen".

That's terrible rule design.
>>
File: Hotspring.png (555KB, 1570x1075px) Image search: [Google]
Hotspring.png
555KB, 1570x1075px
>>55273176
In practice, the way my rogue contributed to combat was this:

1) Cleverly sneak up to the enemy, unseen by all
2) Roll poorly on a Stealth check, stepping on the proverbial twig
3) Run away at full speed, possibly while shouting for Jock to start the plane
4) Climb a wall to get out of reach while hurling insults at my foes that were suggestive as to the profession of their mothers.
5) By now the enemy is so focused on me that they don't realize that the rest of the party is bearing down on them.
6) Fight breaks out, jump down from the wall and get Sneak Attack on to quickly dispatch the confused foes.
7) Claim that this was my cunning plan the whole time.
8) Get hit by an unarmed attack by one or more party members slapping me upside the head.

IT WAS THE BEST. I'm not even kidding, I loved it.
>>
>>55272915
God, you'd think people would take some pride in their shitty anonymous internet posts
>>
>>55273186
It comes down to imagination, and how much the DM cares. I used cant in a game to find some people doing less than legal things, was invited into the black market, made friends with the right people, met some powerful criminal underboss who turned out to be working for the government keeping an eye on things and was hired on as eyes and ears for the government. Came with a salary and access to vast amounts of information later on.
>>
Is there a good group of premades around? The ones in the trove are formatted super weird
>>
>>55273232
Except that in the thing posted, it specifically defines red text as "worse than similar options".

The only option similar to Thieves' Cant that I am aware of in the PHB is Druidic, and neither seems better or worse than the other.
>>
>>55273299
And I can't seem to find the phandelver ones so if anyone has those in pdf form that'd be great
>>
>>55273230
To this I'd just like to amend that it's probably more reliable to find a bishop that will cast the Hallow spell with the Darkness effect
>>
>>55266758

Coming from 40k RPGs I find the rules positively relaxing in 5e.
>>
>>55273311
Depends what you mean by "similar options". I would lump it together with other low-level fluffy utility features like favoured enemy (which isn't great itself but better than thieves cant). Not that it matters because it's just fluff.
>>
>>55273311
>neither seems better or worse than the other.
That's nonesense, there's a lot more criminals in the world than druids. Thieves' Cant should be bright blue in that document, because it's clearly better than the competition.
>>
>>55273311
Anon, that's fucking boilerplate style from 4E days of class guides. I just told you it doesn't specifically mean that in all instances. Don't be a pedant and don't play dumb.
>>
>>55272896
>Cock your weapon
>thrusting it in enemies
L-lewd!
>>
>>55273388
All combat is sex. You're not just killing someone, you're preventing them from reproducing and lowering the fitness of their social group as a whole so that yours can succeed.
>>
>>55273424
SHOULD ATTACKING FEMALE MONSTERS BE CONSIDERED RAPE?
>>
>>55273431
>not raping female monsters anyway
>>
Just received the backstory and character description of one of my players:

It literally says (translated to English): He follows the rules but he's very pragmatic and has no fear of breaking them if necessary(he only steals if it is absolutely necessary). So he is LN.

WTF, I mean I don't like to fight over alignments but come on.

>"a very pragmatic character who is not afraid of breaking the rules"
>lawful
>>
>>55273431
All combat is rape.
>>
>>55266610
I've thought of making an elf eagle totem dex barb that dual wields hand axes. Thematically, I'd base them off steppe nomads with more falconing than horsemanship. Since they're elves it could be fitting to have them ride giant eagles.
>>
>>55273450
CAN DMS WHO KILL FEMALE PLAYERS' CHARACTERS BE SUED FOR RAPE?
>>
>>55273443
Just because he's pragmatic and not afraid of breaking the rules doesn't mean that's his default option for problem-solving.

Alignments are an average. You can be hyper-Lawful and still have zero qualms breaking the law, not even quibbling over it a bit, if it's something you do very infrequently compared to other lawful decisions.
>>
File: The 5e Guide to Sex.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The 5e Guide to Sex.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>people are talking about sex in /5eg/

I came as fast as I could.
>>
>>55273467
No, least of all because the legal definition of rape doesn't go as far as this philosophy's.
>>
>>55273452
Just so you know, you won't get the damage bonus from rage if you attack with dex. If you're okay with that, however, go for that sweet, sweet unarmored 20 AC.

>>55266610
I've always been partial to elven blademasters who enter a "battle trance" when they fight.
>>
>The rapidfire posting stops as everyone reads the sex guide
>>
>>55273532
We need help designing our ERP campaigns.
>>
>>55269523
>In other words, they power up themselves from having a certain conviction
Storm Herald Barbarians light shit on fire and cause lightning strikes by getting really mad. Magical effects being created by emotions aren't exclusive to paladins.
>>
>>55268662
Welding goggles. literally Riddick.
>>
>>55273490
>I came as fast as I could.
that's why the girls wont talk to you anymore.
>>
>>55268874
IDF
>>
>>55273490
You'll never keep a gf if you do that too often
>>
File: godlybard.jpg (95KB, 600x785px) Image search: [Google]
godlybard.jpg
95KB, 600x785px
With all this sex, I think its time to ask about my bard build and get in on the action.

I'm new to the system, and trying to work out a nice optimum point buy build. Starting at level 8, so I have some room to maneuver.

Going for a Aasimar Protector Bard, so +2 Cha, +1 Wis. Was thinking a good stat line would be 17 CHA, 15 DEX, 8 STR, 12 WIS, 10 INT, and 12 CON. Bump it up to 20 CHA and 16 DEX at level 8. Still, I'm not sure I should waste points on INT, but I just don't want to be as dumb as the barbarian.

Also, is it worth going as a level 1 life Cleric and then multiclassing into bard? It would be nice to have medium armor proficiency and some of the other goodies.
>>
>>55273211
Hell, we played in the church most sessions because they had a ton of room, lots of tables and chairs, nobody else was around when we played, and the pizza guy insisted we didn't have to pay.
>>
>>55273532
I am the bringer of peace.

I'm working on a monster section too, slowly but surely. Here's a preview.

>DEATH KNIGHT
>Some death knights retain somewhat more of their corporeal body than just a skeleton; such death knights can have sex, though few have interest in it. Those who died as a result of some circumstance involving love may be able to find solace by satisfying their mortal desires, however. For example, a death knight who became such because its spouse died, may be able to find closure by having sex with its spouse’s reincarnation.
> Uninterested. Seduction checks against death knights have disadvantage.
> Laid to Rest. A death knight can move on to its next life through sex. Each time it is satisfied by sex, it gains 1 catharsis point. When it has 6 catharsis points, the death knight moves on to the next life. Each catharsis point disappears 24 hours after it is gained.

I'm thinking of having the catharsis point requirements be based off of the monster's proficiency bonus.

The point is, obviously, to make it possible to defeat monsters with sex rather than fighting.
>>
>>55266610
Make an Elf Barbarian. Then pickup the Elven Accuracy feat from UA. Combine it with Reckless Attacks. Enjoy the hilarity.
>>
>>55272823
>>55272952
I'm open to hear a convincing reason. I just don't want to bother with non reasons. I also asked about 5e not about D&D as a whole which offers many different experiences. I'm open minded and gave you an opportunity to give good reasons but you've used that opportunity to be a turbonerd and not give any reasons.
Even the guy that said 3.5 and Pathfinder was a clusterfuck had a much more compelling and logical argument to play 5e than you, and I don't disagree with it.
>>
>>55273689

Seconded. Churches usually have lots of room and plenty of chairs.
>>
File: 1453581338193.jpg (132KB, 900x630px) Image search: [Google]
1453581338193.jpg
132KB, 900x630px
Starting a campaign soon at level 12.

Would a 3 Rogue / 9 Paladin be good for assassinate auto crit + smite? Or would paladin 12 just be better?

I want to make some kind of wonky abomination of MCs since I've played a lot of vanilla builds.

I guess sorclock would be ok too

Any ideas?

currently playing a mystic whos build was inspired by what someone here mentioned. It is a super fun dex/con build
>>
>>55266610
>pick elf
>elven accuracy feat
>always use reckless attack
>roll 3 dice to hit

>>55268874
This >>55269271

>>55271831
Yeah, they're pretty great at Eldritch Blast with all that extra AC and cover-ignoring capability.
>>
>>55273700
Eh. I'm unenthused about this. I don't think this will see nearly as much play as other material in the document.
The best thing about the document is the spell section, because people have the spells anyway and might as well use them. And realistically would.
If you want to include sexual rules for monsters, it's probably better to focus on monsters that are in some way connected to sex. Death Knight is not necessarily one of those.
>>
>>55273790
You're responding to 2 different people here.
If you really want reasons to play 5e...
The basic mechanic of the game is easily extendable to just about any check you can imagine with no fuss. There is very little bookkeeping involved compared to other editions, and indeed compared to other popular games (GURPS, for example). This streamlining does not take away from the variety in the game.
While the martial/caster debate rages on, it's a lot smaller in scope than it used to be, because casters are no longer combat monsters as well as magical multitools. In addition, attack cantrips enable the fact that spell slots are at a sharp premium, so casters can only handle so many problems every day using magic.
Basically, it's a balanced, simple system that lets people play the characters they want without being pressured to optimize.
>>
>>55273490
If I understand correctly, doesn't the "Sexual Healing" feature encourage paladins to be huge sluts? The more people involved, the better it gets.
>>
>>55268393
You chose a race with sunlight sensitivity. Now you have to deal with that. Its part and parcel of the race package.

Just don't fight in full light.

>>55268457
The point is, generally, to counteract their other boons. It exists as part of the race for a reason - just don't fight in full sunlight all the damned time.

>>55268662
Agreed. Racial features shouldn't be cancelled out by 'sure I toss on some sunglasses'; otherwise there's no real point to putting the text on it.
>>
File: 1504653039523.png (347KB, 453x311px) Image search: [Google]
1504653039523.png
347KB, 453x311px
>>55273790
Structure a "only debate within this narrow confine I establish, heh can't do it? Looks like I'm right again" meme then all I'll do is meme back, also that's two different people. Also if you were truly open minded you would have structured your opening statement completely different, enjoy this last (you) though.
>>
>>55270070
I'm always kind of curious how much people give away about such things. Not right terminology at all I know, but Death House (and its segue into CoS) basically exist in a pocket plane that is going to be outside of anything that is anchored to the players characters. Do you let them know that this is going to be a thing?
>>
>>55273991
>Implying this is a bad thing
If you're doing ERP anyway (or just including sexual elements in a regular game), there's nothing wrong with paladins having blessed sex. It's not like they're Christians or members of some other puritanical religion. Well, not necessarily.

>>55273990
>>55274026
There are two types of people
>>
>>55273687
Stat distribution seems all right -ish. I assume you want to be Lore bard, right?

Note that you need wisdom at least 13 to multiclass into cleric.
Also note that Life cleric dip will give you proficiency with heavy armor as well (that is tied to the domain). It might be worth it, especially if you're going to be dedicated healer.

Also, INT 8 is not necessarily dumb. At least not dumber than people who do any unqualified jobs in first world countries. They might have difficulty with math and complex abstract problems, but they are in no way impaired or crippled. Just slightly lower on the bell curve.
>>
>>55268457
>as the makes the races with it unplayable
Not even remotely, just a huge pain in the ass if they aren't in the underdark, outside at night or have someone always giving them advantage to cancel it out.
>>
>>55273655
As another anon said, it's basically a magical allergy. That doesn't stop it from affecting them.
>>
>>55273938
...What kind of armor are you going to be wearing? Because have fun trying to sneak around in heavy armor. Outside of that: Assassinate is incredibly unreliable. People do not generally recommend it as a result. If you want to do some wonky abomination of MC's, do something like Paladin/Sorceror, Paladin/Warlock, or Sorceror/Warlock as you already stated. Personally, I intend to roll up an Oath of Conquest/Fiend Pact lock for my next character.
>>
>>55273939
God help us when someone goes
>Elf, Elven Accuracy, Reckless Attack, Lucky, Great Weapon Master.
>>
Can a paladin cure an addiction?
>>
File: babby.jpg (125KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
babby.jpg
125KB, 1920x1080px
>>55273939
>advantage stacks
>>
>>55274263
Elven Accuracy lets you use 3 dice when you have advantage on an attack roll instead of just 2.
>>
>>55268457
>makes the races with it unplayable
I think you are vastly overestimating how much of a typical campaign takes place outside during the day.

And I don't want to hear any of that "but in MY campaign..." bullshit. Go ahead and go through all the printed adventures and actually LOOK at how much of each campaign takes place outside during the day.
>>
>>55274263
>>55274280
Its why the feat is one of the most commonly listed ones to be not allowed from the racial UA. It makes crit fishing hilarious.
>>
>>55274060

Lore bard of course. If I started in life, I'd be fine to multiclass to bard for the next seven levels though without 13 WIS, right?

About the heavy armour, don't I need high strength to take advantage of that? Otherwise medium half plate is nearly as good.

Will consider dropping the INT, it's a rarely used save otherwise, I believe.
>>
>>55274375
You need to meet the multiclass requirements of both the class you're exiting, and the class you're entering. Read the book.
>>
>>55270708
Noone played or read Infinite Staircase?
>>
>>55274375
>To qualify for a new class, you must meet the ability score prerequisites for both your current class and your new one

If you start as a Bard, you need 13 Wis to dip into Cleric; if you start as a Cleric, you need 13 Wis to dip out of Cleric.
>>
>>55274425
>>55274408

Fair enough, missed that part.
>>
Are there any reasons, sort of like broodmothers from Dragon Age, that the creatures of the Underdark would want a magically inclined girl?

One of my players has a character who knows his daughter was sold down below by bandits
>>
>>55274599
Drow could always use slaves, could have some kind of dragon cult making half dragons and they need the blood of magical people to mix into the pool.
>>
>>55274599
Fresh cunny.
>>
>>55274599
Could always be mindflayers.
>>
>>55274681
Magical girl cunny
>>
>>55274709
fresh magical girl cunny
>>
>>55274709
Oh, a demonic cat thing is turning magical girls into liches so some weird existential bullshit can happen.
>>
Who /Goodadvice/ here?
I need an idea for a unique magical bow for my level 3 ranger, sonething with flashy effects that I can big up with words but actually gives little to no combat advantage. Maybe one that lets you see from a magical projectile's perspective once a day? Or is that too overpowered?
>>
>>55274751
Players probably wouldn't notice. Maybe a demonic dog.
>>
>>55268428
I had a DM like this! What else happened? Did you all start with amnesia by any chance?
>>
File: captain savage.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
captain savage.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>55266225
i still use a short sword, but if you took the tavern brawler feat for 1d4 punch you can make a decent grappler barbarian. Has great synergy with rogues and anyone that can take aadvantage of a prone wrestled opponenet
>>
>>55274805
Nah, sounds good. Very fluffy for a ranger.
>>
>>55274881
> Take advantage of a prone wrestled opponent.

Oh, I can think of a few.
>>
>>55274805
Once a day he can yell some Japanese bullshit and launch an arrow that has an image of twin dragons flying at the enemies, DC 10-15 save or be frightened of magic arrow man for one minute
>>
File: 1465797815702.gif (512KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1465797815702.gif
512KB, 320x180px
>>55274881
You could definitely take advantage of a prone wrestled opponent.
>>
Barbarian 3/Druid 2 or Druid 5 for a combat focused one-shot?
>>
>>55274805
What every ranger/bow fighter wants but doesn't get is trick arrows.

So forget the bow and give them a quiver so that they can Hawkeye. 10 arrows a day, which he can restock by dumping the correct amount of money to the tiny imps inside.

>One makes a large whistle as it arcs down, distracting enemies in the opposite direction
>One is silvered
>One is adamantine
>One is coated in Grung poison
>One is coated in Holy Water
>One is coated in a truckload of Goodberry Juice and heals 1 Hit Point instead of causing damage
>One is +1
>One ignites flammable objects it strikes
>One deals bolas that give a dexterity/strength check against grappled determined by your Int DC
>One gives you the tracking benefits of Hunters Mark at its lowest possible level
>One comes up with better arrows
>One is the Imp arrow. Roll a 1d20. After X arrows have been shot, the arrow is the Imp arrow no matter what the archer calls for. Roll on the Wand of Wonders chart for the effect of this arrow
>>
>>55274943
Hanzo main please go
>>
>>55274902
Fluffy's good!
>>55274943
That's an interesting one, I'll save that for my next bullshit magical item I think. Why do the players always whinge if they aren't a literal god of combat decked head to toe in magical trinkets?
>>
>>55274751
Isn't that Madoka?
>>
>>55274986
How is this NOT overpowered?
>>
>>55275036
You get *one*
>>
>>55268367
I want to be very clear: The gods represent the ideas that people have. The people made the gods. The gods need the people. Even in a setting where there may not be gods at all, the faith of the people is still a divine power.

In a setting like FR where the gods made everything and don't give a shit about the people but expect the people to love them anyway, in that setting, the people need gods to get divine power. And in FR nearly everyone has a patron deity even if they aren't a divine spellcaster. FR is just fucked up like that. Don't mistake FR fluff for universal D&D fluff and sure as fuck don't mistake it for good fluff.
>>
File: 1469228297774.jpg (1MB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
1469228297774.jpg
1MB, 1240x1754px
>>55274988
Close and not since a month or so after Anna dropped, them again I only did that fucking around in qp, if it was play to win I rolled Reinhardt, Zarya, Zen or Junkrat. Nothing tilts the enemy team like a Junkrat that knows what he's doing.
>>
>>55275036
not that anon but i would say because they mostly don't do anything except against very specific foes. Also:
>which he can restock by dumping the correct amount of money to the tiny imps inside.
>>
>>55275036
It's almost like the entire arcane archer path in 1 item.
>>
>>55275060
So ten of a specific type? I think they'd ragequit if they paid for arrows in a bandit-based encounter and ended up buying the holy water variant. Proper dank idea but it wouldn't work here. Thanks though!
>>
>>55275007
Just the way most people are anymore, little to no creativity and need that instant gratification of bigger numbers
>>
>>55275025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk
>>
>>55275119
i think he means you get one of EACH
>>
>>55275140
That's the impression I get, you only have one of each arrow for the day so use it wisely, unless you got the gold to get another one. I'd put a restriction that until later levels and a quest you can't stack them.
>>
>>55273490
Oh my god, this exists.
>>
>>55275204
Yeah it's been around for a while
>>
>>55275204
>Being this surprised
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>55275140
That's what I thought initially but it's likeBatman's utility belt or some shit, I want them to think they've got sonething good while actually giving them the DnD equivalent of a wooden crown spraypainted yellow
>>55275130
>TFW worldweary from DnD
I feel your pain brother
>>
>>55275292
It wouldn't be so bad but shows like CR haven't helped at all, that and most videogames giving you super magic items since you are the protagonist have kinda set an idea of what it means to be a big hero. I don't mind giving the players basic items, unless it's supposed to be a "you're the chosen ones!" campaign, with a odd one here or there.
>>
>>55273766
>>55273939

I was so fucking excited to play this build, then I reread Reckless Attack:

>melee weapon attack rolls using Strength

FUCK
>>
>>55275267
>>55275274
I'm not surprised that it exists, more how thorough it is.
That said, it has some stuff that I'll actually be using in there.
>>
>>55275336
And yet the same people happily grind for hours on Destiny to get those special weapons... I like to give them what thry think they want, but for a price. My rogue started out neutral good until I gave him a rapier that demands the souls of the living, now he's practically a disciple of Khorne in the way he dives into battle and shows no mercy.
I predict it'll take another three sessions for him to see the monster he's become. By then, however, it will be too late.
>>
>>55275277
This old girl's got life in 'er yet. Also how do you stop a German accent sounding French?
>>
>>55269141
No he doesn't and no he isn't, have you even watched his videos, you autistic reject? He acts like a smug piece of shit who thinks he's better than everyone else and whiteroom theorycrafting videos are useless.

What the fuck do you mean people need to grow up? He harassed a bunch of YouTubers and drove some off YouTube then feigned ignorance, and blamed it on others when he was caught, that's not something to be easily forgiven. He also gets extremely buttblasted when other groups are popular, he reviewed DCA and Critical Role by saying the DMing isn't what he would do which meant it was bad, and he had a bizarre and creepy one sided interview with Matt Mercer.

Cry more and act more buttblasted, retard. Don't be That Guy.
>>
>>55275069
I understood maybe 1/16th of that. am I a normie?
>>
>>55275454
Blackrazor is a weapon I know my DM will drop on us since I rolled up a Goliath barbarian who is lawful neutral and being a forever DM it's what I'd do, drop them something really nice but with a price to match. Hell it's why my players love/hate the Fey Wild anymore, it was thoroughly explained to them never make a deal with residents there, advice they chose to ignore and payed the price for it. It wasn't even a gotcha thing, a simple offering of some power and help in exchange for obedience for x time. For whatever reason they didn't seem to realize what that meant even with the cautionary tale they heard. They loved the adventure but hated how they had to pay a price for what they gained.
>>
>>55275595
No because normies love Overwatch
>>
>>55273490
>Copied that horrific table from BoEF
>Used the literally idiotic pregnancy options that make pregnancies last weird amounts of time

I mean some fun stuff for sure, but why copy the stupid shit?
>>
>>55275601
If the price is outlined at the start they have absolutely no justification to expect a reprieve. I HATE it when people think they're going to be let off the hook because they're the main characters.
>"Oh gee wizz of course I'll sell my soul to the darkness to get this enchanted greatsword! It's not like I was using it anyway :')"
>"What do you mean I can't drink holy water now?"
>"What do you mean the paladin wants to kill me?"
>"What do you MEAN no refunds?"
>>
>>55275615
I WAS SO CLOSE RRREEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Newbie question here !

Let's say I'm a Level 2 Paladin, with a charisma of 16 (+3)

Does that mean that I can prepare a total of 2 spells of the first level from the paladin spell list everyday, or does that mean that I must pick 4 spells (my charisma Mod + lvl2/2 rounded down)
from the Paladin spell list and then I can use only 2 of these 4 each day ?

I'm really confused.
>>
>>55275716
Exactly, I always hated the "haha gotcha you didn't bother reading or asking x specific question!" so I don't do it, they knew exactly what it meant and the Fey was even more out of character because he even outright told them what it would entail. If you're as upfront as possible without holding their hand they have no one to blame but themselves.

Also my Goliath would never use such a weapon for a couple reasons, one he's not "me stronk but dumb!", two he has a family and is only adventuring due to the position his wife is in because of a mistake by an ancestor and he's a Goliath who are seen as just wandering savages and three he wouldn't see such an item as "honorable" in that his society values strength over others but only by fair means. If you must steal the strength from another to be stronger then you are not truly strong.
>>
>>55275795
The latter. You can also use the same spell twice or burn them on divine smites.
>>
>>55273922
>Too many chairs
>Chairs don't stack
>Plenty of room without the chairs
Why me ;_;
>>
File: 1395694715723.png (990KB, 1000x1096px) Image search: [Google]
1395694715723.png
990KB, 1000x1096px
What's the optimal blend of champion and barb for crit fishing?
Starting at level 3 as a half elf for elven accuracy, not sure if it's worth sticking with strength (and therefore polearm mastery) or going dex (rogue levels for sneak attack, dueling style/TWF). Any suggestions?
>>
>>55275828
Be my DM plz
>>
>>55275859
You'll have to use strength to utilize reckless attack
>>
File: chrome_2017-09-07_16-56-40.png (29KB, 636x300px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-09-07_16-56-40.png
29KB, 636x300px
Well, do they?
>>
>>55275859
Not sure if it's what you're going for but with the Assassin branch of the Rogue tree you get an automatic crit if the creature isn't aware of you?
>>
>>55275832
So one day I can say "Today I prepared Bless,Divine Favor, Searins Smite and Thunderous smite".
And the next day I can say that I prepared : "Command, cure wounds, heroism and Detect Magic".
?

Or once I pick 4 from the Paladin list i'm fixed on them for the rest of my lvl2 period ?

Sorry i'm being repetitif in some way.
>>
>>55275859
17/3. Don't go any further than that, all you need is the first champion trait. Keeping barbarian up to 17 lets you get all the brutal critical benefits still.

You need to use STR if you're going to use reckless attack or want to gain rage damage from your attacks.
>>
>>55275909
Well if they're female I don't see why not
>>
>>55275909
Male werewolf - effectively no nipples
Female werewolf - effectively six nipples
At least, that's what I'd say. But what if the base creature was lactating?
>>
>>55275859
>>55275911
Assassin is fucking wonky .You absolutely can do it, yes, and barbarogue is quite a popular build - but you're still running a STR build, because otherwise you don't get the benefit of rage damage or reckless attacks. I mean, you CAN make a DEX barbarian, but that just seems .. Silly. If you go rogue route, just use short swords - finesse lets you attack with strength OR dexterity, and you need to attack with a finesse weapon to trigger sneak attack. Ergo, you can attack with STR using a finesse weapon and still sneak attack.
>>
>>55275963
>Ergo, you can attack with STR using a finesse weapon and still sneak attack
Bloody hell, how did I miss that?
>>
>>55275944
>>55275923
>>55275909
Can you fucking not.
>>
>>55275913
Read the thing, dude.

Think of it like this: Spell slots are poker chips. You have X number of spell slots, and can expend them to cast a spell. To expend a slot, you need to cast a spell you've prepared - and when you finish a long rest you're able to select which spells you're going to prepare. To figure out how many spells you can prepare, its CHA Mod+1/2 Paladin level.

So now you've got Y number of spells prepared, and have X number of slots to use. Remember, those slots are poker chips. Lets say you prepare Spell A, B, C, D - you can cast any combination of them that you want, as long as you have poker chips to spend. So lets say you have four spell slots - you can cast spell A four times, or cast each spell once. Or any combination.

As you level up, you get shinier poker chips. These are more limited, but have rider effects when you spend them (spells will say: when cast at a higher level...).

Every time you finish a long rest, you can change out your chosen spells.
>>
>>55276012
>Why do you have to be so ruff Anon :')
>>
New thread >55276048
New thread >55276048
New thread >55276048
New thread >55276048
>>
>>55276021
Not him, but do wizards work like that now too or is it still the "create single use spells" where you choose how many of each spell to prepare?
>>
>>55276043
Go to /pfg/, you autist.
>>
>>55276057
Are you a fucking retard?
>>
>>55276057
WOW TERRIBLE
Thread >>55276048
Thread >>55276048
Thread >>55276048
Thread >>55276048

Back to making dinner for me.

>>55276058
Read the book, blackman.
>>
>>55276067
Apparently, yes. Just firing off thread quick because I saw it was on page 10 and no one else has done. Not sure why the fuck I flubbed on the link there. Brain fart. I'm fucking retarded.
>>
>>55268874
Maaskhet'a Men
>>
>>55276060
>Thanks for throwing me a bone Anon :') every dog has it's day :')
>>
I know it quite new, but anyone have a pdf of En5sider's first Zeitgeist adventure for 5e? I'm planning on running it soon and its a real hassle converting such a complex module.
>>
>>55276090
Don't beat yourself up mate, you're doing a public service desu
>>
>>55273092
Can you cast animate dead just yet?
>>
File: social dominance 101 for autists.png (181KB, 1804x442px) Image search: [Google]
social dominance 101 for autists.png
181KB, 1804x442px
>>55273092
>>
So how many of you are getting Almiraj (unicorn bunny) familiar?
Thread posts: 417
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.