[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deals Paladin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Is there a deity in Forgotten Realms or adjacent material that has Capitalism as its core principle? Placing value on the buying and selling of things and the signing of contracts more than what the exchanges are actually for?

I'm kind of thinking a church like Orzhov from mtg, I suppose.
>>
Probably, FR has a bunch of Evil gods
>>
>>55265138
Waukeen, the Goddess of Commerce.
She's even the chief deity of the nation of Amn in fact.
>>
>>55265138
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Waukeen
She's a lesser goddess after some shit that went down, though.
>>
That's a rather weird and modern concept to have. Capitalism is not just trading stuff around.
>>
>>55265138
https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Abadar

Not to be confused with the archdevil Abaddon, this guy is mainly about commerce and civilization, wealth is considered sacred, he encourages local investment, and his priests are forbidden from donating wealth or healing spells for free (instead giving low-rate loans as financial assistance).
>>
Please, don't use modern terms like "capitalism".
>>
>>55265215
Yeah Waukeen came up in my googling, she was very close, although as anon pointed out she's having a rough century. I was hoping to find a deity that was more lawyerly, but I'd happily play a paladin of waukeen.

...Alternatively, anyone know of any fae entities that cut the above criteria?
>>
Capitalism may have been an imprecise choice of words on my part, but the temple I envision for this deity is an open market, where people come to trade literally everything - it is in the act of trading, of creating and then honoring an agreement, that you praise this deity.
>>
>>55265317
>>55265270
The term you're looking for is commerce. You want a Paladin of Commerce. Capitalism refers specifically to the ideas surrounding capital as a concept, which is an innovation over ideas like feudalism, mercantilism, and so on.

Commerce is just trading and money and shit.
>>
>>55265272
I think it'd be pretty cool to play for a weakened god of commerce and deals. It would really make the interactions between paladin and god a lot more two-sided, while also giving some clear motivation for questhooks to expand the influence of the church.
>>
Wouldn't a general deity of Law and Order work?
Signing a contract is a binding Law between two parties.
Breaking a contract disrupts the Order of the land.
>>
>>55265255
Now I just have to convince a gm to let me use a pathfinder deity in a 5e campaign
>>
>>55265272
She was having a rough century back in 2e during the 1990's and 3e during the 00's.
Now deities no longer have arbitrary "power rankings" and Waukeen is just a very popular and widespread goddess.
>>
>>55265346
You might be right, but dnd has a rich pantheon of oddly specific deities, and I find that charming.
>>
>>55265352
>Now deities no longer have arbitrary "power rankings"
Fuck that. Gods can be weakened. It'd be lame as fuck to play for a weakened god, but have zero changes to gameplay, story, or fluff due to that. If I make a character that serves a god looking to expand her power after a long absence, I don't want the DM to just look at me blankly and say "Alright,God of Commerce. pick appropriate domains and then the lore here will never come up or affect anything ever again."
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.