[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember the good ol days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: leviathan-cropped.jpg (140KB, 464x664px) Image search: [Google]
leviathan-cropped.jpg
140KB, 464x664px
Remember the good ol days?
>>
>>55259045
woah this thing is really huge

did you have one in your deck anon? If yes, how did you play around his ability?

Im interested in old MtG, I only joined 4/5 years ago
>>
>>55261051
>how did you play around his ability?
Back then, if you managed to bring this into play, by that point you would likely only need to swing once to end the game.
>>
>>55261051
These kids today with their collector numbers and their newfangled tap symbol. Twenty Black Lotuses and twenty Plague Rats. Now that’s real Magic.
>>
>>55261051
Off the top of my head, being that I didn't play seriously at the time this was printed, I would assume you'd give it whatever Vigilance option was printed back then, and an "Untap target creature" ability. Or just swing once for 10 damage and win.
>>
>>55261051
From an oldfag back in the day, it was usually paired with Stasis decks. A bunch of islands that you can't untap aren't helping you much anyway, and it shouldn't take that many swipes with 10/10 tramplers to finish off your opponent. Paired with some of the don't tap to attack creatures, or a few unstable mutations, and you'll win.
>>
>>55259045
I have a cube that's 800 cards big of the worst cards in magic. At least by modern day standards.

Leviathan is in there. Tibalt is too.

I once won a game by casting Leviathan and then ult-ing Tibalt to untap it and give it haste.

I like to think I'm the only person who's ever done that.
>>
File: PrimevalTitan.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
PrimevalTitan.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
Why are creatures so much better in the present day?
>>
>>55263429
Because Wizards finally realized how fragile creatures are considering their casting costs, and so upped their power, while at the same time dialing back on the power of noncreature spells, which used to be broadly overpowered in terms of mana cost compared to game effect.

Consider, for example, that Terror was in every core set from Alpha to 6th Edition, as well as Mirrodin and 10th Edition. For that matter, Counterspell was in Alpha thru Seventh, Ice Age, Tempest, and Mercadian Masques.
>>
>>55259045

lmao sac 4 islands to swing once? and then they just kill it with terror
>>
>>55263663
You are supposed to Twiddle it or something similar to untap it and then only sac 2 islands to swing.
>>
>>55263429

After a certain point WotC started consciously powercreeping the fuck out of creatures and nerfing everything that's not a creature (or planeswalker).

To be fair to them, a lot of old creatures were literal unplayable trash in every conceivable format (your typical Ice Age/Mirage era creature was a 4 mana 2/2 with a minor upside) but still, this is why we have Creatures: the Sidewaysing now.
>>
>>55261328
ya old fogey.
>>
File: 80.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
80.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
>>55259045

Consider the following
>>
>>55261051
Literally Twiddle
>>
File: 2.jpg (50KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
50KB, 312x445px
>>55259045

Sure do. Creatures were pretty terrible back then.
>>
>>55268850
>a zombie leviathan
>it doesn't need water anymore

lore checks out
>>
File: Beware_the_lamppost_most_of_all.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Beware_the_lamppost_most_of_all.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
>>55264817
And Wizards was aware of how bad a lot of them were even back then. There's a reason pic related was named what it was.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.