[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After 7 years of the 40k rpgs, World of Darkness, Edge of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: paizo.png (177KB, 1700x924px) Image search: [Google]
paizo.png
177KB, 1700x924px
After 7 years of the 40k rpgs, World of Darkness, Edge of the Empire, and some FATE my group is finally trying Pathfinder for the first time and after about 4 sessions I have to say I'm somewhat perplexed at the system's popularity.

Compared to most of the systems we've played, Pathfinder doesn't feel anywhere as intuitive in its rules or its breakdown of skills and attributes. It IS fun once it gets going, but we've had to stop things and recheck the rulebook a much larger a number of times than we have had to with any other system, and the concept of using Pathfinder for anything besides specifically dungeon crawling seems like it would end terribly. I don't think you should need a 300+ page rulebook to do basic roleplaying though. I wanna come up with cool ideas and have simple systems to determine the outcomes of those cool ideas. Instead coming up with a cool idea in Pathfinder means stopping the game for 10 minutes while you look up some set of obscure rules in the horribly formatted rules books, spend another 10 minutes arguing over how to interpret it, and then 9 times out of 10 being told you can't do the thing or it's extremely disadvantageous to even attempt it, so just shut up and spam your full-round attack again.

Honestly Pathfinder's mechanics remind me more of a boardgame's rules (designed to do a specific thing in a fun way and dropping sense if need be) rather than a rpg (more simulationist and theoretically applicable to a number of different types of campaigns).

Am I missing something about the system?
>>
You're missing about 6-7 years of playing D&D 3rd non-stop until all that shit is burnt into your brain like muscle memory.
>>
File: RTdpOtv.png (1MB, 1204x1192px) Image search: [Google]
RTdpOtv.png
1MB, 1204x1192px
>>55256943
What amazes me is how you can just change the name of the rule set out week-after-week, and still get so many replies. We should really start screen capping these, just to see how many variations we can get stacked up in one image.
>>
>>55256943
>Am I missing something about the system?
Yes. You have to be conditioned first by years of 3.5, then by years of Pathfinder into thinking that it's good. Otherwise, you won't be able to enjoy it.
Drop it as fast as you can and switch to 5e.
>>
>Pathfinder

Do whatever it takes to sabotage the game and then never play it again.
>>
>>55258023
This
>>
>>55258023
According to the archives, there's only been one other thread like that, and it was "D&D" not PF.
>>
>>55258720
There's a difference?
>>
>>55256943
pathfinder(and dnd in general) is one of the more complex system in general. whatever your players want to do, its probably already writen somewhere.
this is not a system for everyone. you have to read the manual to have a good grasp AND the players have to do the same.

might i suggest something less complex like legend of the five rings 4th ed or exalted 2nd ed?

both are great fun.

shadowrun 4th or 5th edition can also be really good. its a more complex system but the atmosphere is really nice.

finally, if you want a really simple dnd-like, theres always dragon age rpg. i personaly dont like it but im sure some people do.

try to have fun! thats the most important.
>>
>>55258340
Or maybe talk to your group like an adult, and discuss swapping to another system if it isn't an enjoyable experience?
>>
>>55256943
Check out the Fate Freeport Companion which has conversion rules for D&D 3.5 to Fate. You'll get a much greater Pathfinder experience.

Also check this out: http://www.killershrike.com/Fate/Fae/Pathfinder/PathfinderFateAccelerated.aspx
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.