[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legend of the Five Rings General: Stupid Sexy Yogo Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 41

File: yogo hiroue.png (762KB, 700x638px) Image search: [Google]
yogo hiroue.png
762KB, 700x638px
Welcome back to /L5R/, samurai of /tg/. Its been a few weeks since our last general which was full of gen con tournament watching and bitching about overpowered Dragon decks, but there's simply been no news or anything to talk about since then.

That changes today with the next fiction from FFG, focusing on the Scorpion and Dragon clans: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/6/in-the-garden-of-lies/

Other than this, this is the place to talk the upcoming LCG, RPG of any edition (Even 2e if you want, you monsters!), the old CCG, or just story.

Discussion question: Since the full core's contents are now 100% known with the Gencon prerelease of the game, has anyone been playing with proxies or on TTS? How have you been enjoying so far?
>>
First for the most canon and best clan, the Bee.
>>
So is Yogo Hiroue going to bone the less than attractive Dragon woman because he has a fetish for people who are masters of their arts? I think so. He isn't going to do it this time, as he notes this is going to take a while for him to work his Scorpion seduction charms on her, but I think they're going to fuck in the end.
>>
File: dragon meditation.png (596KB, 700x638px) Image search: [Google]
dragon meditation.png
596KB, 700x638px
>>
File: yogo kono.jpg (119KB, 900x664px) Image search: [Google]
yogo kono.jpg
119KB, 900x664px
>>
Yogo Hiroue must be a complete chad considering the whole Yogo's Curse thing.
>>
>>55255991
Eh, the curse only fires once. After they've completely fucked whatever they love, they're safe to handle.
>>
>>55255991
He probably figures that as long as he treats humans like objects to socially toy with he'll never fall in love and thus never trigger the curse.

The edgelord Yogo method of dealing with their curse, if you will. I bet his extended seduction of a Dragon who doesn't want to be seduced by his usual tricks trips him up and fucks him over though.
>>
>>55256197
>edgelord Yogo method
I mean, tbf, the curse itself is pretty edgy; is there a means of handling it that *doesn't* make a Yogo an edgelord?
>>
>>55256714
Not really. You either love nothing or tank the loss. The only other solution is to induce worthless love in your children so that they end up betraying a favorite toy and that is pretty fucked up because the curse going off like that means that it was really the one thing they will ever have the most love for in their whole life, which means you pavlovian conditioned them halfway to sociopathy.
>>
File: samurai goblin.png (263KB, 480x421px) Image search: [Google]
samurai goblin.png
263KB, 480x421px
haven't played this game in forever, is the empire fighting the not!romans or not!hindis yet?
>>
Calling it now: there will be a hatamoto vote for which clan starts a coup. Looks like they're setting it up so that most or any clan could start it.

Unicorn could escalate over other clans disrespecting them and their magic. The Dragon religion plot is setting them up to be the Ikko-Ikki, down to a referential name for the sect. Phoenix will do it to fix some problem that they think the empire is causing with the elements. Scorpion are Scorpion.

Guessing the other clans will get fiction that sets up motives for them, too. Or they might leave some conservatives like the Crane or Lion as designated loyalists.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (47KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
47KB, 1280x720px
>>55257061
Wait, so....
1)Be stoically cold, uncaring, and alone.
2)Fall in love, and accept that you will destroy them
3)Train sociopaths.
How are those NOT edgy?
>>
>>55257160
I just said that there is not really a non-edgy way around it. It's a curse that really works.
The secret fourth option is to git gud at magic and simply remove it, but they've been trying that ever since the curse first befell them to no avail.
>>
>>55257091
Different company owns it, they've reset to before the coup and it's turning out differently already. They did mention multiple gaijin as having been historical issues, so they might actually happen this time. Hopefully not though.
>>
>>55257132
The Crab already had a reason. In the old fiction, the only reason Kisada didn't pull a coup was that Shoju got to it first. They had to delay and tried it later on when he kicked off the clan wars by invading the rest of the empire.
>>
>>55257186
Ah, right, I fail at reading.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the Yogo, and the rest of the clan. But the Scorpion in general certainly wear the 90s proudly on the sleeves of their kimonos.
>>
>>55257061
Fair warning, trying to intentionally trigger your curse just makes it worse.
>>
Buddy of mine is looking to get into the LCG and I'm curious about it. Anyone know how it stacks up to Netrunner, BattleCON or Magic?

Is there a tldr for the ccg somewhere?
>>
>>55257333
In that method, you deal with your own curse however you do, but try to force your kids to trigger early and inconsequentially. If successful, this results in a curse-free sociopath who hates your guts and will never love anyone or anything as much as they loved that doll that they accidentally threw in a river when they were 6 years old.
There is no good way around the curse, but there are ways to deal with it.
>>
>>55257354
The LCG and the CCG are unrelated to each other. The CCG is dead and the LCG has only been prereleased to people who were at gencon for now.
>>
I would if I could get away with running Jade empire in a l5r campaign without the players noticing. Or how long it would take to realize.
>>
>>55257401
Admittedly, I think in the proper John Wick-style 'fuck everyone for choosing to exist', the doll going into the river will somehow trigger a plague.
Wait, wait, no - it washes downriver, and is found by a fisherman. He takes it home, and gives it to his youngest daughter. Later on, there's a fire, and the youngest daughter runs back into the house to get her doll, prompting both mother and father to run in after her. The house then collapses, killing all three; the remaining child, in his bitterness, will grow up to form a Bloodspeaker cult that the Yogo child, will have to face in adulthood. And at the end, when they defeat the cultists, and see the charred doll placed in a place of love and affection on a blasphemous altar, they will realize that all of this is their fault.
>>
>>55257354
>Netrunner
I've only played Netrunner casually, not competitively, but in comparison L5R feels a little bit shallower but much more approachable. Netrunner is, compared to other card games, pretty much completely unique and that certainly turns some people off from it, while L5R is at its heart a dude-smasher game. Put dudes on board, turn them sideways, eventually win; it's a formula people understand and can get into.

In the end, I'd say Netrunner is perhaps a little deeper, but L5R is a lot more accessible.

>BattleCON
I love BattleCON, it's still my favorite board game to date, but as much as I love BattleCON I will still be playing L5R over it simply because L5R will have an actual community to play with. I've spent months of my life trying to get a BattleCON community going at my FLGS and it just never happened, whereas already, just counting people who got core sets at GenCon, the L5R community in my city is bigger than my BattleCON community ever got.

In the end they're very different games. BattleCON is pure skill, L5R is a mix of skill and luck. But as much as I love BattleCON, playing with others is better than sitting in a store by myself.

>Magic
L5R and Magic are both dude-smasher games, so there is that, but the economy in L5R is flat and not luck dependent and there are orders of magnitude more decision points when playing L5R than in Magic. Most Magic decks functionally play themselves, but even the simplest L5R deck has around a dozen meaningful decision points per round which actually really matter. Additionally, the fate system in L5R means that board states never get huge or out of control.

Magic will, of course, have more players. I don't think I need to convince you of that. And then there's the distribution differences, of course. But as a game, I do think L5R is much more skill intensive and interesting to play than Magic ever could be.
>>
File: 1353214676514.jpg (285KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1353214676514.jpg
285KB, 1280x960px
>>
File: 1402961477051.png (221KB, 486x402px) Image search: [Google]
1402961477051.png
221KB, 486x402px
>>55258089
>>
File: 1438825185467.jpg (916KB, 2333x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1438825185467.jpg
916KB, 2333x1131px
>>55258608
I don't get it
>>
File: 1434008026514.jpg (22KB, 396x286px) Image search: [Google]
1434008026514.jpg
22KB, 396x286px
>>55258885

I want that man to fug me
>>
File: akodo toturi.png (808KB, 700x638px) Image search: [Google]
akodo toturi.png
808KB, 700x638px
>>55258906
Ah that's much less obtuse than I was expecting it to be.
>>
File: 1493410360605.jpg (54KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1493410360605.jpg
54KB, 640x960px
>>55258972

Hunky men with scars are c u t e
>>
File: 1353196929449.jpg (392KB, 801x591px) Image search: [Google]
1353196929449.jpg
392KB, 801x591px
>>55258993
>>
File: 1359857820927.jpg (254KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
1359857820927.jpg
254KB, 1280x905px
>>
File: 1351271710659.jpg (424KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
1351271710659.jpg
424KB, 1280x905px
>>
Anyone else really surprised on the crane/lion champ rulings. They were kind of the least interesting clan champs and now they're probably the worst
>>
>>55259791
Were those rulings or just the interpretations of RAW which the writers didn't even notice like idiots? Because it is clear what the intent is, but they fucked it up in wording.
>>
>>55255066
>Discussion question: Since the full core's contents are now 100% known with the Gencon prerelease of the game, has anyone been playing with proxies or on TTS? How have you been enjoying so far?
Played my first 8 or so games on TTS so far, loving this game but the card pool feels really shallow with just the core set, can't wait for a few of the expansions to get released and open things up a bit more.

Design wise this is one of the most brilliant games I've played. The mechanics are relatively simple and easy to grasp but the amount of decisions gives the game INCREDIBLE depth. I think it's going to take even the best players a long while to master this game.
>>
>>55260153
The lead Dev of the game was asked he said they worked RAW, so it's official triggering it on the defense helps your enemy
>>
>>55255125
Yes, the Bee. Aye. Dee. Gee. Eee. Argh.
>>
>>55257061
>The only other solution is to induce worthless love in your children
Trying to trigger the curse just makes it worse. It's unbreakable and not something you can fuck around with. The Yogo in question is precisely aware when they've triggered the curse, but the rest of the clan has to rely on their word that it's done and they're ok to be given more duties and freedom.
>>
>>55260455
They fucked that up hard, unless you argue that the enemy losing a defensive action means the ring and its effect pass to you.
>>
>>55255991
>tfw they will flip around the Yogo Curse
>instead of betraying your loved one, your loved one will betray you
>>
>>55260863
Then there is no fucking reason for Yogo to leave the Phoenix, you nimrod. He was going to sepukku but Bayushi talked him into leaving the Phoenix with the argument that since Yogo doesn't love the Scorpion, Bayushi doesn't have to fear his betrayal. Then that idiot Junzo forgot that shit and had the biggest man-crush on Shoju and fucked everything up.
>>
>>55260928

Man, if the bestest healer of my time would be up to betray me, I would run for my life like there is no tomorrow. Then grow crazy paranoid and end up with the local edgy assholes.
>>
File: 1413669000949.jpg (255KB, 1260x866px) Image search: [Google]
1413669000949.jpg
255KB, 1260x866px
>>
File: Niten.jpg (59KB, 718x572px) Image search: [Google]
Niten.jpg
59KB, 718x572px
I've always wanted to run an L5R game and I think I'm going to take the plunge next weekend. It's going to be set pre-SCC, and all the players are going to all be from the Dragon Clan. Which edition of the RPG would you recommend? Any general advice for running an L5R game?
>>
>>55262961
4th edition.
Don't let players murderhobo. It's just not the right kind of setting for it. Combat is lethal as fuck and there really isn't much in the way of dungeons to crawl, aside from the tunnels under the Kaiu Wall. Social situations should matter.
>>
Have there been any typhoons in Rokugan?
>>
>>55263102
I don't think so. At the very least, they've never been a major problem. Frankly even if there were, it'd shrek the Mantis, Crane, and Crab, but not a whole lot of anyone else.
>>
>>55263126

If I dredge my memories, I remember that Otosan Uchi was flattened by an earthquake once in the AEG era and a tsunami has inundated the Crane in the FFG era. Aside from the odd blizzard, weather phenomena are somewhat rare.
>>
>>55263025
My group really likes roleplaying so I think they'll be fine. Is it possible for members of one clan to serve a lord from another, or should I just have them all make Dragons? Would Dragonfly characters be appropriate? What books from 4e should I get?
>>
>>55263310
>Is it possible for members of one clan to serve a lord from another
Not really, but debts are taken very seriously, and so it's possible in all but official paperwork. Almost all Dragons is what you should be aiming for. Dragonfly is practically Dragon anyway, so they'd be appropriate.
>What books from 4e should I get?
Uhh... All of them? Emerald Empire, Great Clans, the Book of [Element] series, Strongholds of the Empire, Secrets otE (For Dragonfly), Imperial Histories 1 & 2 (For specific details of the era you're in), Sword and Fan, Imperial Archives, and the Atlas of Rokugan are all generally applicable. Enemies of the Empire has stuff on all the non-humans and Ronin.
Absolute minimum is Core and Emerald Empire, imo.
There's also the Way of the Dragon from 1e that's still applicable lorewise.
>>
>>55263310
>Is it possible for members of one clan to serve a lord from another, or should I just have them all make Dragons?

Totally. Make them take the Hostage or maybe the Obligation disadvantage. Both can tie the character to another clan in a totally honorable way.
>>
>>55263310
I would recomend checking out the "Hidden Emperor Era" in Imperial Histories, 4th edition. You can do an all dragon campaign of them slowly finding out the clan is being corrupted by nothingness, and then its up to them to either try and purge from inside or try and get outside the clan in order to rally help.
>>
>>55263310
>Is it possible for members of one clan to serve a lord from another
This is generally why the common campaign is for all the PCs to serve the emerald magistrates - you bypass the question of serving a daimyo for serving the empire.
>>
File: hida goes to winter court.png (120KB, 500x538px) Image search: [Google]
hida goes to winter court.png
120KB, 500x538px
>>
Ok, so I didn't manage to get a copy of this at Gencon, but I've played some games.

I've decided I want to try and build an honor based deck with Phoenix, and I'm curious how well it can work.

Isawa Mori Seidō
Keeper of Void

Province
Air Fertile Fields
Earth Ancestral Lands
Fire Meditations on the Tao
Void Kuroi Mori
Water Elemental Fury

Dynasty Deck (40)
Character (35)
2x Asako Diplomat
2x Isawa Atsuko
2x Isawa Masahiro
3x Meddling Mediator
3x Naive Student
2x Radiant Orator
2x Serene Warrior
3x Shiba Peacemaker
3x Shiba Tsukune
3x Shiba Yōjimbō
3x Solemn Scholar
3x Miya Mystic
2x Fearsome Mystic
2x Adept of the Waves
Holding (5)
3x Forgotten Library
2x Imperial Storehouse

Conflict Deck (43)
Event (33)
3x Against the Waves
3x Contingency Plan
3x Court Games
3x Display of Power
3x For Shame!
3x Know the World
3x Way of the Phoenix
3x Voice of Honor ///// /
2x Noble Sacrifice ////
1x Outwit
3x Good Omen
Attachment (3)
3x Ornate Fan
Character (7)
3x Steward of Law ///
2x Ishiken Initiate
2x Seeker of Knowledge
>>
>>55265064
Phoenix Role is Seeker of Void, not Keeper. If you plan on playing in tournaments or with a group that follows the organized play, you need to use the official Role.

Not running Shameful Display in Phoenix is fucking crazy, doubly so if you're going for an Honor deck.

I don't understand why you have so many 2-ofs in the Dynasty deck. You should be running 3x Diplomat, 3x Orator, 3x Adept of the Waves.

I consider Imperial Storehouse a waste of a card, you're probably better off replacing those with Favorable Grounds instead.

Good Omen is a shit card and if you're putting dishonor pressure on your opponent it will be utterly dead from turn 3 onwards because both of you will be bidding 1 every single turn.

You're running zero military buff cards but also not running any Pacifism??

Ishiken Initiate is garbage.

Seeker of Knowledge should be a 3of if you're going for Honor/Dishonor victory.

2/5 do better.
>>
File: Asian_Crypt_Keeper.jpg (69KB, 604x462px) Image search: [Google]
Asian_Crypt_Keeper.jpg
69KB, 604x462px
>>55260928
Don't you talk shit about a man so badass that only a horse could kill him!!
>>
Good morning anon-sans
>>
>>55266337
>don't understand why you have so many 2-ofs in the Dynasty deck

He could be playing irl with friends and two cores is what he's got preordered or he and another guy have or will have 1 each
>>
>>55263025
>Don't let players murderhobo. It's just not the right kind of setting for it.

It is not the right kind of system for it. Setting-wise, it is fine, there are two whole Clans worth of murderhobos out there.
>>
>>55267790

>Crab
>Murderhobos

u wot m8

I've also got no clue who the other clan you could be referring to is. The only people who function as murderhobos in L5R are, well, the literal murder hobos: ronin.
>>
>>55263025
>the tunnels under the Kaiu Wall
If anyone really thinks there's nowhere in Rokugan to have adventures, or that the murder tunnels under The Wall is a good location to wander around, then they need to rethink their position.

>and there really isn't much in the way of dungeons to crawl
There are ruins of ancient civilisations, if you're after dungeons to crawl. Otherwise, you have bandits, criminals, ronin otokodate, bloodspeakers, etc. to hunt.

>Social situations should matter
Even at ronin social grades, it does, but most of the people you'll be dealing with (merchants, ronin, bandits, etc) are only as stuffy as the Emperor's court every other time.
>>
>>55267807
Maybe Mantis?
>>
>>55266337
I'm new enough to not know a lot of this shit, so thank you.

And I'd like to deck to be all two of, since yea, I've only got two core sets coming and I don't think I'm going to get a third. I'm going to try, but we'll have to see.
>>
>>55268908
>And I'd like to deck to be all two of, since yea, I've only got two core sets coming and I don't think I'm going to get a third.
Ah, well you had a number of cards there listed as 3ofs so I was (am) confused, then.
>>
>>55269025
It's because it was late and I'm an idiot.

Isawa Mori Seidō
Seeker of Void

Air Fertile Fields
Earth Ancestral Lands
Void Shameful Display
Void Kuroi Mori
Water Elemental Fury

Dynasty Deck (40)
Character (35)
2x Asako Diplomat
2x Isawa Atsuko
2x Isawa Masahiro
2x Meddling Mediator
2x Naive Student
2x Radiant Orator
2x Serene Warrior
2x Shiba Peacemaker
2x Shiba Tsukune
2x Shiba Yōjimbō
2x Solemn Scholar
3x Miya Mystic
2x Fearsome Mystic
2x Adept of the Waves
3x Seeker Initiate
1x Seppun Guardsman
2x Otomo Courtier
Holding (5)
2x Forgotten Library
3x Favorable Ground

Conflict Deck (40)
Event (20)
2x Against the Waves
3x Contingency Plan
3x Court Games
2x Display of Power
3x For Shame!
2x Know the World
2x Way of the Phoenix
2x Voice of Honor ////
1x Outwit
Attachment (14)
3x Ornate Fan
2x Pacifism
2x Grasp of Earth
3x Cloud the Mind
2x Above Question ////
2x Magnificent Kimono
Character (6)
2x Steward of Law //
2x Ishiken Initiate
2x Seeker of Knowledge
>>
>>55269241
Looks much better. Still some things I would change but that can come down to personal taste, I'm not going to tell you this deck is wrong necessarily.
>>
>>55269241
Don't run contingency plan, it's terrible.

You should have three katanas and three banzais. You need a reason not to run those cards and currently there is not a good one.

Rout is better than Outwit for Phoenix. You have about the same quantity of courtiers and bushi, but your courtiers cap out at ~4 pol while your bushi frequently hit 7-8 mil. It's definitely mot a three of, though.

Ishiken Initiate is a bad card. Most of the time she is thoroughly mediocre.

Crane splash is not so hot; you don't actually have enough honor effects to justify Voice of Honor. Try splashing Dragon for some combination of Let Go, Mirumoto's Fury and Tattooed Wanderer. All three of those cards are 9/10 or better and very worth splashing.
>>
>>55269277
Once the game drops and I can actually really figure it out I'll be able to make more informed decisions. Thanks for the help, though.
>>
>>55269347
>Don't run contingency plan, it's terrible.
It can be worth the slot if you're building for dishonor victory. Although I feel like the only viable way to do that is splashing Crab for Watch Commander.
>>
>>55269419
It's fine for dishonor, sure, but Phoenix isn't a dishonor deck, and even Crab dishonor doesn't care to run contingency plan. Scorpion do sometimes run it, though.
>>
>>55269460
Phoenix is one of the best Clans at a Dishonor strategy though?

I don't think that's the most optimal way to run them right now, but if you want to run them that way they're very capable of it.
>>
>>55269538
>Phoenix is one of the best Clans at a Dishonor strategy though?
Not by a long shot. They may be above average at it but it takes a serious amount of focus to actually dishonor someone out and the Phoenix don't come close to that, especially for a two core deck that is going to be even more unreliable.
>>
>>55269633
They can easily compete with Crab for second best Dishonor Clan after Scorp, especially with the right splash.
>>
>>55269641
>doji-ue, the Phoenix ambassador has gifted you a majestic kimono!
"By the Fortunes, no!"
>>
>>55270686
To be fair in this setting getting a lavish gift from a political opponent is at least 60% likely to be a good reason to shout in despair.
>>
>>55270822
Yeah, it's probably lavish and comfortable, but the colors slightly clash with the rest of your delegation, and the pattern kinda looks like an imitation of what the Crane diplomat is wearing, and it also happens to be good enough to clear up an old obligation unless you want to seem greedy in public by stating otherwise.
>>
>>55270883
But if you rock it you increase your own glory and set a new fashion trend!
>>
>>55257576
Shit hearing you say that BattleCon is your favorite board game makes me want to finally crack my box open. I bought it a while back, but haven't been able to convince anyone to play with me.
>>
For everyone who has a local meta being built in anticipation for the release of the LCG; is there a specific clan dominance in your area? My personal meta is rather wide-spread, we have at least one player for each clan, with Lion being the only one left out.
>>
>>55274276
Scorpion seems to be the most popular faction overall, but of course local metas may vary.
>>
>>55274363
Scorpion will probably be the most popular for a while. Lot of old players wanting to jump on Shoju's train (even though it might not even happen this time around) and a lot of new players jumping on what they hear about the most (pre-scorpion coup is literally what people call this era, even with no proof that it will happen again).
There are probably a fair number of new players who go for them because, at face value, Scorpion are very edgy and "cool".
>>
>>55274477
Doesn't hurt that competitively they're also a top Clan.
>>
>>55274363
The Scorpion popularity is making my inner tier hipster freak out and start brewing Unicorn lists.
>>
>>55274737
And that's fine, it is your decision as an adult to molest those horses.
>>
>>55274363
That definitely seems to be the general case for my local meta right now; but I think things will start to even out once people actually get to buy the core set.

I'm personally going to be trying Crab and Dragon since they appeal to me the most; I'm leaning more towards Crabs at the moment. I haven't gotten the chance to play either yet, and I like the flavor for both of them
>>
>>55274363
Yeah, I wanted to do crane originally, but scorpion seem to almost be "crane, but better" with respect to control etc.
>>
I'm considering Phoenix, but there was a dude last night talking about how Scorpion absolutely ruins Phoenix.

Should I be worried, since Scorpion seems so popular, or was he just talking shit?
>>
>>55276363
The meta is still very young, but at least right now I'll be honest -- there does not appear to be a deck that beats Scorpion. Maybe that changes in the future but they literally are considered to have favorable MU's across the entire board at the moment. Lion probably have the best shot, and they're at best 45/55.

Maybe scorpion are just the pubstompy faction and the meta is still young but right this very moment I don't see the pain train stopping at all.
>>
>>55276466
Well, that's disheartening.

How bad is it? I don't feel like getting stomped every game.
>>
File: rolling to coup.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
rolling to coup.png
2MB, 960x1280px
>>55276575
>I don't feel like getting stomped every game.

Have you tried playing Scorpion then?
>>
>>55276363
I think "Scorpion ruins Phoenix" is more of a theorycraft than an actual experience. The logic being that Phoenix has high glory as a theme, and Scorpion has dishonor. Scorpion does have dishonor, but not too much of it. Mostly their Way of the Scorpion card.

In general, though Scorpion is very strong, and CAN make two of your cards into 0/0s. But if you watch out for that I don't think Scorpion vs Phoenix is LUDICROUSLY Scorpion sided or anything.
>>
Core Set deck:

Deck Clan: Phoenix

Total Cards: (85)

Total Conflict: (40) Total Dynasty: (40)

Total Influence: (10/10)

Stronghold:
1x Isawa Mori Seidō (Core Set #5)

Role:
1x Seeker of Void (Core Set #218B)

Province: (5)
Air (0/1) Earth (1/1) Fire (1/1) Void (2/2) Water (1/1)
1x Elemental Fury (Core Set #16)
1x Kuroi Mori (Core Set #12)
1x Shameful Display (Core Set #24)
1x Meditations on the Tao (Core Set #20)
1x Entrenched Position (Core Set #17)

Character [Dynasty]: (44)
3x Seeker Initiate (Core Set #126)
3x Meddling Mediator (Core Set #86)
3x Solemn Scholar (Core Set #83)
3x Shiba Yōjimbō (Core Set #89)
3x Shiba Tsukune (Core Set #93)
3x Shiba Peacemaker (Core Set #82)
3x Serene Warrior (Core Set #88)
3x Naive Student (Core Set #81)
3x Isawa Atsuko (Core Set #92)
2x Fearsome Mystic (Core Set #91)
3x Adept of the Waves (Core Set #84)
2x Asako Diplomat (Core Set #85)

Character [Conflict]: (10/10)
3x Tattooed Wanderer (Core Set #149)
2x Togashi Kazue (Core Set #150)
3x Ishiken Initiate (Core Set #170)
2x Seeker of Knowledge (Core Set #171)

Attachment: (12)
3x Grasp of Earth (Core Set #173)
3x Magnificent Kimono (Core Set #172)
3x Pacifism (Core Set #174)
3x Cloud the Mind (Core Set #202)

Event: (18)
3x Way of the Phoenix (Core Set #176)
3x Supernatural Storm (Core Set #175)
2x Know the World (Core Set #178)
2x Display of Power (Core Set #179)
2x Against the Waves (Core Set #177)
3x Court Games (Core Set #206)
3x Good Omen (Core Set #208)

Holding: (6)
3x Forgotten Library (Core Set #94)
3x Imperial Storehouse (Core Set #129)
>>
>>55277431
>50 dynasty cards
Uh. You're a bit fat there. Holdings go in your dynasty deck, btw, and legal deck sizes are 40 to 45 cards.

I would definitely recommend cutting down to 40 dynasty cards. Seeker Initiates, Serene Warriors and 1-2 copies of Storehouses are easy cuts.
>>
File: IMG_3315.jpg (22KB, 464x453px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3315.jpg
22KB, 464x453px
>>55255066
So is this thread for the card game, the tabletop RPG, or both?
>>
>>55255066
What addition introduce the thousand years of darkness?
>>
>>55277652
All of it at once, and yet none at once. We are the void that defines the cup.
>>
>>55277652
>Art being differentiated from music
>What the fuck does chastity have to do with any of this
>>
File: IMG_3668.jpg (2MB, 4348x2933px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3668.jpg
2MB, 4348x2933px
>>55277724
It took me a moment to realize your were talking about drinking vessels and sport tournaments/trophies
>>
>>55277672
You mean the alternate timeline? It's in one of the Imperial Histories books. I think it's in the first one.
>>
>>55278065
>and sport tournaments/trophies

And NOT
>>
>>55278103
So they are their own thing not written with an edition in mind?
>>
>>55277431
Why are you not taking katanas and fans?
>>
>>55278149
No?
You can technically play in any era in any edition, but 4th edition is actually designed to be mostly era-agnostic, which is why it has two books that are entirely about different eras and what's going on in them.
>>
>>55278149
Imperial Histories 1&2 are 4th edition splatbooks.
>>
>>55278195
>>55278186
Thank you both.
>>
>>55278177
Because winning is for queers?
>>
>>55278833
Add more Ronin and contingency plans then
>>
File: stonewall.png (1MB, 973x1069px) Image search: [Google]
stonewall.png
1MB, 973x1069px
>>55258993
>>
>>55273767
You in the bay area by chance? There's also play by spreadsheets on the Discord server. It's my favorite 2p game as well.
>>
>>55281600
Nah man, I'm in the midwest sadly. I also played Millennium Blades, which is a fantastic parody of CCG's in board game form.
>>
>>
I have a question for the 4th edition rpg.

How much of a problem do you think it would be to open up Kiho to normal bushi player characters?

I'd like to play a game with a slightly more fantastical element to special characters and players and after reading about the Kiho it seems to emulate some low level wuxia pretty well. However since i haven't played the game very much i don't know how strong Kiho would be in the hands of otherwise normal characters.
>>
>>55284714
>Non-Brotherhood characters who may be eligible to purchase Kiho (see the sidebar Kiho and Non-Brotherhood Kiho) use only their Ring to determine if they may purchase a Kiho.
I'd allow access to something like the Dark Path Sohei (Strongholds of the Empire p93) at rank 3 or 4, but nothing better than that.
>>
>>55284892
I was thinking something like Kakita school but for all clans and then treat them like Ninja in the side-bar you reference.

Any reason you would limit it to Dark Path Sohei? Is it that powerfull or is it more thematic?
>>
>>55284950
>in the side-bar you reference
I'm not referencing the sidebar, as AEG stated the wording on p261 is the correct wording for kiho cost.

>Page 266, “Non-Brotherhood Kiho” sidebar: The sidebar refers to non-Brotherhood characters who may be eligible to purchase Kiho as using only their Ring to determine if they meet the Mastery Level to purchase a specific Kiho. However, the sidebar on page 266 refers to “Ninja who are being depicted in a mystical or supernatural fashion” as using their School Rank to determine if they meet the Kiho Mastery Level. This is incorrect – Ninja would use their Ring just like any other non-Brotherhood characters.

>Any reason you would limit it to Dark Path Sohei?
Also not limiting it to DPS, but a homebrew equivalent at a higher rank. Having to give up a reasonably good technique (rather than the generally weaker rank 2) for 2 kiho (and only being able to purchase 1 kiho, as opposed to 1 per rank) imo has more chance of balancing out.
>>
File: earth becomes fuck you.jpg (322KB, 1280x1011px) Image search: [Google]
earth becomes fuck you.jpg
322KB, 1280x1011px
>>
Been kinda out of the loop regarding the rpg. Are we getting a 5th edition or not?
>>
https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-legend-of-the-five-rings/

just a bit of a warning, the comments section there seems to be full of them "Lugfaces"
>>
>>55287084
Holy shit, the stuff some people can get upset about...
>>
>>55287084
Jeez, I remember dropping these guys years ago, wonder how they are now
>>
>>55287183
Basically exactly the same, neat
>>
>>55286885
No word yet, but they are working on a generic version of their star wars RPG, so it's a good bet that it'll probably just be a setting book for that instead of a real rpg.
>>
>>55287084
WTF?
Do they only play abstract games to avoid getting offended?
>>
>>55287084
The review seems fine though his conclusion that he didn't have fun sounds weird since his entire descriptions of play seem like someone who is having a good time. The pacing just isn't what he wants which is fine

What is wrong with these commentators though jesus fuck
>>
>>55269419
dishonor as a primary win condition is a meme. it literally only works against terrible players because they don't know how to avoid digging themselves a hole
>>
>>55288512>>55288563
Shut up and sit down have a level of white guilt I thought people only joked about. If a game deals with any non-European culture they get pissed about it (and still do if it is too European)
>>
>>55289344
I think you're blowing it out of proportion. The dude is uneducated about what banzai actually fucking means and mention it in a footnote to the review.
>>
>>55289388
I more referencing their other reviews over the years
Which include:
>The Scottish guy in the group saying he felt "satisfied" by roleplaying a lynching against his British co-members in some RPG about colonialism

>Them giving a game a negative review because it was Arabian nights themed while having slaves as a resource

>Saying a game was really bad but it should still be played by everyone for how it potrayed slavery

>Writing an article about how they couldn't make a new review since one of their dudes was "emotionally depleted" after spending two days arguing with a guy on Twitter

Beyond that I stopped following them a year ago since I've never really liked a game they reviewed positively beyond one or two games
>>
>>55289488
If you think the source isn't worth reading, that's fine dude. I don't think they're good either. But judge the review by its content, not its author. That way lies tribalism.
>>
Is this a good representation of a Matsu?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XibsGFgNwWw
>>
File: image[2].png (548KB, 666x797px) Image search: [Google]
image[2].png
548KB, 666x797px
>>55287084
**I** would feel so uncomfortable if my imaginary japanese friend was here
>>
File: image[1].png (76KB, 682x562px) Image search: [Google]
image[1].png
76KB, 682x562px
>>55289661
>>
>>55289661
its a pretty common assumption among westerners that banzai is specifically a kamikaze thing. operating under that assumption, the banzai is a bit weird. he just needs to be told that banzai isn't some important word.
>>
File: unknown[1].png (78KB, 614x761px) Image search: [Google]
unknown[1].png
78KB, 614x761px
>>55289688
MUH GLORIOUS HERITAGE IS MIXED WITH FILTHY JAPANESE
>>
>>55289688
>...Because FFG haven't been listening to players about it.
Have there been any complains about the shout before this article?
>>
>>55289737
No. People who have a passing understanding of japanese understand that its common to use banzai as a cheer. People yell banzai after their favorite team score a goal.
>>
>>55289656
A true Matsu wouldn't have stepped back at the end of their rant. They'd be right in the other person's face.
>>
>>55289865
So this is, literally, fake outrage then.
>>
>>55289993
Oh it is very real, but it is ignorant put upon outrage. There's a lot of shit you can reasonably be grumpy at that most people don't care, that's just a difference of opinion. This is ignorant anger which is hardest to get a word in edgewise with.
>>
Reminder that feeling offended on other people's behalf is literally treating them as children or mentally deficient who can't judge situations on their own, and doing it for entire races is true racism. Especially if you treat any of them who disagree with you like they're brainwashed or uncle toms.
>>
>>55289993
It's outrage born of a lack of understanding. Most people's knowledge of Japan begins with WW2, nukes, whaling, and ends in tentacle porn.

It's not worth getting upset about the other side here. Just tell them to google banzai to find out what it means. If they continue to insist that they have a good reason to be upset, then we can get angry about how stupid they are.
>>
>>55289709
CHINA NUMBER 1

>INB4 it's just an enraged hapa trying to cling to a bit of identity
>>
>>55287084
Kek, they started banning people and erasing comments.
>>
thread died because of mortal posturing

this is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>55290779
Oh man, they're going to be carrying salt from this for ages.
>>
>>55282231
Do have any further statements on that game, I love lvl99 but it seems like that game has way too many components to be sensible

Also
>Ever listening to Shut up and Sit down
I've never seen a thread survive after being linked to their site
>>
>>55287084
Based FFG forums:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/258270-l5r-getting-heat-after-susd-review/?
>>
File: tsuruchi.jpg (184KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
tsuruchi.jpg
184KB, 429x600px
Do guys think we'll ever see Tsuruchi again?
>>
File: 1501635729559.jpg (70KB, 607x572px) Image search: [Google]
1501635729559.jpg
70KB, 607x572px
>>55291778
I want all Mantis, Ronin, Naga, Shadowlands, Spider, Minor clan, Monk, Nezumi, and Monk decks to go and stay gone
>>
>>55291778
Personally I'm hoping Yoritomo gets iced by the Crane and Tsuruichi remains at the head of the minor clan alliance.

And then Wasp Clan Great Clan.
>>
>>55291778
Not as a Mantis. The seven great clans have the following colors:
blue, cyan, green, yellow, orange, red, purple, with neutral being white. The only colors really left to be used are black (which Crab are so dark that it could get confusing) and brown. If there is ever another faction, brown seems the most likely, and I genuinely have no idea who would use it.
>>
>>55291867
So Toturi's army is okay then?
>>
>>55291959
Or the Three Man Alliance
>>
>>55291915
The Brotherhood of Shinsei could be brown, as a "humble monks" thing. Nezumi could be brown. Certain gaijin could be brown, I guess. There are some minor clans that are pretty brown, but I can't see them being a faction unless all minor clans get in as one faction.
>>
Know what I'd rather seen than an 8th major clan?

E M E R A L D M A G I S T R A T E F A C T I O N

They can include all imperials and all magistrates regardless of faction. They have a special role that exists outside of keepers and seekers that FFG decides for them. Neutral stronghold, BOYS!
>>
Rank these from least to most lewd:
Bushi, Courtier, Shugenja.
>>
>>55293320
Shugenja, Courtier, Bushi
>>
>>55293320
Courtier, Bushi, Shugenja
>>
File: 240.jpg (62KB, 393x545px) Image search: [Google]
240.jpg
62KB, 393x545px
>>55291915
>If there is ever another faction, brown seems the most likely, and I genuinely have no idea who would use it.
Brown has traditionally been the 'unaligned' colour, used for shadowlands beasts, celestial beings, minor clans, ronin, monks, etc.
>>
>>55293524
unaligned/neutral is now white. what is the point of this post?
>>
>>55291220
Well you're right on there being too many components to be sensible. There's a huge amount of cards in the game, and there are quite a few different styles of play. There are a bunch of different starter decks, and all of them play very differently. For instance, the deck I was playing revolved around a large end game combo that would allow me to rack up a large number of points to win. But, I would say it isn't over complicated rules wise, with the most complicated part being deckbuilding; which is timed since you are vying to get the cards you need in a short amount of time inbetween games. If you get the chance to demo it i would highly recommend it.

>>55291655
I'm impressed at just how based they are.
>>
>>55293781
>I'm impressed at just how based they are.

I think it has to do with the median age of the average L5R veteran.
>>
>>55293569
The current colour of unaligned is irrelevant. Covering which factions brown could represent is the only point to reply on. To which I say, any choice from;
>shadowlands beasts, celestial beings, minor clans, ronin, monks, etc.
>>
File: ReKGW3M.jpg (107KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
ReKGW3M.jpg
107KB, 392x495px
>>55287084
Why must SJWs ruin the games I love?
>>
>>55294032
shadowlands is already confirmed neutral. We won't be seeing a full faction from them.
>>
>>55294722
don't be hyperbolic.
>>
File: 1504338406501.gif (580KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1504338406501.gif
580KB, 480x360px
>>55294996
>>
>>55294986
Pic related; all the fucks I give.
>>
>>55294996
Never underestimate the power of an angry SJW community.
>>
this shit is exactly why moot should have never removed the raid board. keep you kiddies contained
>>
>>55280267
The epic tale that got me into l5r. Does anyone have a full set of the screencaps?
>>
File: bayushi shoju.jpg (330KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
bayushi shoju.jpg
330KB, 960x1280px
>>
>>55295742
I don't think the whole thing got screencapped. Cuz it was damn long. check sup tg, keyword stonewall if you want to reread it.
>>
File: 1352430897370.jpg (907KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1352430897370.jpg
907KB, 1000x1500px
>>
>>55291655
They better be careful. Social/political viewpoints aside, SUSD is one of those sites that controls the pulse of tabletop gaming ala Dice Tower or Tabletop. One sour review can end you.
>>
>>55298024
That being said, the SUSD review was pretty positive. I didn't even tell the reviewer didn't like it much until the end when he said he did, it felt unerringly positive otherwise.
>>
>>55298074
And to be honest, it was less "I don't like this thing" and more "This thing is not what I enjoy in my games."

He never actually says the game is bad in any way, just not what he wants out of a game. So he's trying to be fair in his review.
>>
>>55287084
Oh my god, this comment section is going to keep me warm for days.
>>
>>55298074
I could see where he was coming from with it having a lot of moving parts, with multiple win conditions, honor mechanics, and a lot of other minutae to handle conflicts. I'm familiar with the original CCG, so a lot of that I'm braced for.

On the other hand, they don't have qualms with something like Twilight Imperium which has multiple victory route and loads of mechanics.

Also something that dawned on me: The SUSD crew played as the Japanese faction in the Watch The Skies mega-LARP. Twice. Yup.
>>
>>55298152
Honestly, if the dude hadn't brought up the chanting, it'd be a pretty solid review.

As it stands, as a new player who's never seen this shit before, who gives a fuck? If I go to an event, I'm not doing it, but I fail to see how it can be considered offensive.

The comments section is hilarious though. Especially in regards to people's misuse of cultural appropriation as a concept.
>>
>>55298191
>The comments section is hilarious though
I was only moderately annoyed. What's your assessment?
>>
>>55298544
It sounds like a bunch of people throwing a fit about nothing and failing to understand the nature of how culture works.

Honestly, it reminds me one time when I went to a showing of a documentary about Chinese parks. After watching the film, the professors wanted fielded some questions.

One dude immediately raised his hand and asked how the professors felt the US was destroying Chinese culture. Everyone had to sit there awkwardly as the experts on the subject of culture had to try and explain to the dude why it didn't work that way.

It feels like the same thing here. Lot of people throwing a fit over someone using another culture for inspiration and basis and thinking of it as theft without understanding how culture functions or evolves.

Really, it's kind of like getting offended over Evangelion because of how wrong it gets Christianity. Or claiming that Eva's somehow offensive because it mixes together and doesn't "respect" religion in theme or message.
>>
>>55298074
And yet he was very careful to ever say someone overly positive about it. He absolutely despised it and you could tell.
>>
>>55293351
>>55293357

Please justify your responses.
>>
File: Ishigaki just after finished.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Ishigaki just after finished.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>55295742
Better than a screencap: an-edited-into-proper-text version, thanks to one of the other anons reading

Only halfway edited though, still waiting for Librari-anon Editor-san to finish that and post it in one of these (unless i missed it already somehow)

Was a fun time though
>>
Do we have any database with every revealed card so far?
>>
>>55301262
https://fiveringsdb.com/#/
>>
File: 1408569450620.jpg (105KB, 900x451px) Image search: [Google]
1408569450620.jpg
105KB, 900x451px
>>
>>55299905
Shugenja have to be the least lewd because they're priests who have to be devoted to tradition and their spirits over personal desires. Courtiers have to be composed and calm as much as possible,
which means cooling off the lewds in public.
Bushi are sweaty, athletic adrenaline junkies who spend a great deal of time around a lot of other sweaty, athletic adrenaline junkies in stressful environments and close living conditions.
>>
I need your help L5R General.
How do I frame the crane for an assassination. We are at the wedding of too notable heroes of the Lion clan who have won notable victories against the crane and I am about to assassinate one of them and frame the crane to try and spark a war on the orders of my superiors. How do I pin the blame on the crane when everyones first thought after a suspicious death is scorpion? What evidence should I leave, how should I prepare things? I was thinking of having a scorpion mon made in crane lands and leaving it at the scene, making it look like it was the crane trying to frame the scorpion and then pointing this out.
What advice do you have?
>>
>>55302854
(all of this is subject to what your GM thinks is the right way to run rokugan, of course, as every GM has a different idea of the cultural moors)
You need something of the Crane's to drop at the scene of the crime. Something of theirs that is personal. Even if the framing doesn't stick, you can shame the Crane and possibly get them enraged enough to do something else stupid. If he's a duelist, watch out, because they might just demand a duel with their accuser to settle the matter right then and there.

The anonymous mon doesn't work because it isn't known to belong to anyone, and could just be a plant from a trickster spirit.

The el classico scorpion framing technique is
1) get the target real drunk. blackout drunk. when they can't recall what happened last night, they can't sincerely say they didn't do something.
2) isolate yourself with them. make it so that you're the only witness to their actions (typically seduction)
3) slip away and assassinate the target (preferably when the fall guy is sleeping)
4) plant something of theirs at the scene
5) bail and let the scene unfold. You can't exactly admit to sleeping with the target because scandal. if anyone saw you entering crane's room, just say you were talking poetry (or whatever) but you left as the conversation died out (can be a truth). Excepting some twist witnesses (and assuming you make all your rolls successfully), it's pretty air tight.
>>
>>55303225
Problem is, I don't know if there will be any crane at the wedding, its unlikely, seeing as to how both the bride and groom are heroes for fighting against the crane clan. How can I make it look as though the crane sent a lone dadojii assassin?
>>
>>55303294
Find a daidoji.
Capture them.
Dress them up in ninja pajamas.
Hide them somewhere, like underneath the building your staying in, since they're all raised.
Dress yourself up identically.
Botch an assassination attempt.
Bail.
Replicate the wounds on your body on the captured daidoji, except more lethal.
Untie them and let him be found.
People will recognize him as daidoji whoever the fuck.
Find a way to conceal your wounds and act like you were taking a bath or something.
>>
>>55303393
That seems very risky and very likely to go wrong. Also, the Lion and the scorpion are supposed to be making closer ties, so I am supposed to kill the groom as well, to make certain that the bride is freed up to marry a scorpion ( her family is quite distinguished)
>>
>>55303547
Framing is rough.
>>
>>55303591
Yes it is, which is why I need help.
Is that really the only way to do this?
I have no aid from my party because this is scorpion business and they are from the high honor crowd. Also one of them might be related to the mark
>>
>>55303807
Consider options that are not framing for murder? Maybe inflame the crane's sense of honor and encourage him to ruin the wedding by himself. Maybe set up some minor prank that would make the host look bad, and maybe they'll assume the Crane is there to start trouble. Maybe set up the Crane to duel and sabotage the Crane's sword (like coating it in poison).

Murder really limits your options
>>
>>55303807
There's no forensics in Rokugan unless a Kitsuki is around, so the key point is make sure the person you're framing has no real alibi while you have an airtight one yourself. And if they're a duelist, you kill them too and make it look like a murder-suicide, since otherwise unless the local lord is 100% convinced by your setup they might well get out of it.
>>
So I'm thinking about running a game where Shojus clan coup is succesful. I do have one question, how was Shoju planning on explaining the death of the Emperor and his son if he was succesful? Or, let me rephrase, what do you guys think would be a passable excuse they would use?
>>
>>55304072
He was counting on Hida Kisada siding with him and getting a "Might makes right" justification to settle things and then revealing the Prophecies of Uikku pointing to the return of Fu Leng that he just averted to make his coup honorable not just a power grab.

In the canon Kisada took Shoju asking for help as weakness and joined the Great Clans in stomping him down. That combined with Toturi merely getting drugged instead of killed sealed his fate.
>>
>>55305230
It gets better when you consider he would've actually probably joined Shoju if Shoju hadn't asked for help in the first place
>>
>>55305230
That sounds pretty reasonable. I guess the real question is how so many clans were able to show up so fast in large numbers outside the imperial city in canon (I mean, in addition to the local garrisons in the city which presumably got neutralized by Shoju in the coup.) The crab it seems would have an especially difficult time marching through crane or scorpion and lion lands to get there.

I do wonder how much people would buy into the Prophecies of Uikku explanation. It seems a bit convenient of an excuse from the perspective of the other clans, I have to assume.
>>
File: Shoju You.png (130KB, 228x294px) Image search: [Google]
Shoju You.png
130KB, 228x294px
>>55305414
Yeah, considering the political minds of Shoju and Kachiko the intelligence they likely had at their disposal it is a pretty inexcusable mistake. The only thing I can think of that makes such a blunder reasonable is that the Bloodsword Ambition was not only clouding Shoju's mind but also his inner circle's.

>>55305437
I'd hazard that Prophecy angle would play well with the Phoenix and Dragon. The Crab would be on board and not care as long as they are supported in their defense against the Shadowlands. The Lion and Crane would likely not take it well, but might use it as an out to save face after a successful coup. The Unicorn are a wild card. If it is Old5R, Kolat Master Yokatsu is likely happy the Hantei have been dethroned and would be working to take advantage of the instability to create more ins for the Conspiracy. If it is Nu5R I am not sure which way Altansarnai would take her clan.
>>
>>55305813
So, my idea is something like this:
In the cover of darkness, scorpion troops spring into action, and a flurry of death unseen in Otosan Uchi since the Battle of the White Stag ensues. The Emperor is swiftly killed by Shoju himself, and his son assassinated (not spirited away by the phoenix as in the original timeline) in such a way that implicates another clan as having done the dead. When the sun rises, key members of the imperial bureaucracy and imperial families have been assassinated, most of the garrisons in the city destroyed along with the Seppun guard, and the capital is firmly under the control of the Scorpion. Shoju reveals to the city and the rest of rokugan that there had been a coup, which his forces had put an end to (technically true). Unfortunately the Emperor had been killed, along with his heir. He declares himself Imperial regent and vows to ensure a swift continuity of government by producing a Hantei successor out of the ranks of the Otomo. Ofcourse in the interim he will be busy purging the Otomo and Seppun of any hantei blood, trying to use the imperial records to destroy any real claimant and importantly, produce an Otomo who has absolutely no hantei blood to install as his puppet emperor. The plan is to rule in a semi Gozoku with the Crab and the Phoenix, who he has approached ahead of time.

Obviously this is a pretty big shock to the Empire at large, who don’t know what to believe, especially since the city is on tight lockdown, though what they are hearing rumors of is not too encouraging. Suitably outraged, they know one thing is for sure: Shoju is amassing a great deal of power, and they cannot let that pass. Neighbouring Crane and Lion forces start to gather around the city, though it will be weeks, perhaps months before they have sufficient forces to storm the city, if it should come to that.
>>
>>55306772
The players play a disparate cast of Hantei loyalists who wake up the day after the Coup and are tasked with rescuing a young boy or girl, an Otomo with Hantei blood out of the city. Essentially a heist story, but the “heist” is to bring the child to safety. Side objectives would be to sabotage the imperial records to buy them more time before the identity of the child is established, scout out potential venues of escape, recruit assistants, from retired members of the Hidden guard who survived the purge to ronin mooks, and perhaps even attempt to steal the ancestral blade of the Hantei for that extra veneer of legitimacy. There would be a ticking clock before discovery. Meanwhile, Kisada who was approached about the coup has plans of his own, and will be arriving with a fleet of turtle ships supplemented with Mantis mercenaries to storm the city a week after the coup, and to proclaim himself regent or Emperor as suitable.
How does that sound?
>>
File: yogo ugimori.jpg (289KB, 1280x1078px) Image search: [Google]
yogo ugimori.jpg
289KB, 1280x1078px
>>
Does anyone have a database dump of the old Winter Court IV forum?
>>
Hey guys, minor question: how common is inter-clan marriage? I'd guess among the kuge it's way more common due to the need to form alliances and stuff, but most samurai would probably just marry within their clan right?
>>
>>55312053
Alliances can still be forged between minor bloodlines between clans, but it's much more rare. Typically the means of advancing is marrying your kids up into more prestigious bloodlines within your own family or clan, so that's usually the goal.
>>
>>55312143
>rarer
Also, it's not that rare to see lesser bloodlines joined between clans for trade agreements and anything else around the same level of samurai attention. Betrothal between kuge is a big deal, and not everything samurai want to seal in marriage warrants such.
>>
>>55312143
>>55312616
So basically uncommon but not rare?
>>
>>55314356
Slightly more uncommon than political alliances.
>>
>tfw Unicorn will probably be the worst faction until more synergy cards that actually make movement and cavalry more powerful come out
When they do it'll be fucking infuriating to play against though
>>
>>55317333
Maybe if they printed courtier cavalry, but as it stands the best politically a non-unique cavalry unit is politically is 2.
>>
>>55318132
We'll get some Ide messengers or something eventually who are both I'm sure
>>
Hey there my fellow Rokugani, feel like helping an eta out? I got sucked into L5R by a friend who ran a short game before they moved for work, and now I'm bereft and crave more of the good stuff.
So I realized it's up to me to do the same to some others. I plan to run an introductory game with all pre-genned characters (a bit of a risk, but far faster and easier than if I make them build their own) which has duels, a kidnapped samurai-ko, and a ronin who attempts to commit seppuku in the Crane's Summer Court.
They sound enthused but as a group we're unsure how to keep the courtly stuff quite so engaging. They also would prefer if I could convert the game to Barbarians of Lemuria, which we've played off-and-on for years, but that's a totally different basket.

All of that is to ask these couple of things: What would you guys recommend as any sort of media that has some good inspiration for L5R's political/courtly side; do you think that converting the game to another system would really detract from the experience; and also how would I go about having the onna-bugeisha not just off herself when she either frees herself or is freed? Or should I let that be part of the samurai tragedy of L5R?
>>
>>55319392
I'm not going to touch the system conversion, since I know nothing of BoL and couldn't tell you if it's suitable, but as far as saving the ronin, if she's freed in such a way that she owes her life to someone else, she might not kill herself because it's not her life to end anymore. But that only works if she's an idealist or has calmed down enough that she doesn't really want to kill herself.
>>
>>55320223
Ah the life-debt. Yeah that could certainly work, it would just depend on what the players do. Thanks, I'll try to work it out so that rather than merely free her they're given the chance to save her life in a more direct fashion.
Thread posts: 220
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.