[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it still possible to do cursed swords in an interesting way?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 246
Thread images: 21

File: kopis1.png (810KB, 1024x644px) Image search: [Google]
kopis1.png
810KB, 1024x644px
Is it still possible to do cursed swords in an interesting way?
>>
>>55250397
Yes.
>>
>>55250466
...and that's a wrap, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>55250474
No, silly. That's a sword.
>>
>>55250721
But what if it's the accursed wrap sword?
>>
>>55250994
How can wrapping be a curse?
>>
File: fetty_wap_0_1442437342.jpg (354KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
fetty_wap_0_1442437342.jpg
354KB, 640x512px
>>55251030
>>
>>55251030
How is it not?
>>
>>55250397
Let your players play as a cursed sword.
>>
>>55251193
No joke I did that, he was warlock hexblade and he was the patron, who would mind control bodies of zombies and skelotons
>>
>>55250397
jesus basic storytelling, just create conflict between object and character, there are more ways but if basics are too hard to come up with then i'm not going to bother u with other stuff
>>
>>55250397
Let's see what we got.
>A sword that makes its wielder into a great fighter but makes everyone else want the sword, mostly murdering the previous owner or by stealing it
>A sword that becomes sharper with each killing blow it has dealt, it starts to eat your soul if you aren't constantly feeding its hunger with human/sentient being souls
>A sword that boosts your natural abilities but slowly corrupts you, turning you into a crazed killer
>>
>>55251201
So your player was Anubis from star dust crusaders.
>>
>>55250397
Intelligent weapons with alignments opposed to the party's are more fun.
>>
>>55251030
When you try to unwrapp the sword to use it the wrapping just rewinds it self onto it and won't come of thus rendering your sword into a blunt stick of metal.
>>
>>55250397

It gets sharper and sharper with everything it cuts

Eventually you can't even sheath it, it will cut everything

It basically becomes a lightsaber with no way of turning it off, so you have to be very careful
>>
>>55250397
Make the curse annoying instead of lethal or mind controlling. The sword itself could be a really high quality sword, but it's possessed by a spirit who constantly belittles its user and deliberately tries to distract them during battle. Or maybe it's a sword that causes really rapid hair growth and makes you smell like you haven't bathed in years.
>>
>>55250397
>The sword a personality flaw to the user.

>Speeds up PTSD.

>Reduces his diplomatic skills.

>Attracts all things evil and twisted.

>Slowly nimmbles on the users soul every time he uses it.

> Reduces the users intelligence.
>>
>>55251535
No wait
>A sword infused with the memorys and skill of a legendary hero
>That hero also had PTSD
>>
>>55251535
>>55251578

Are you trying to prove it's impossible?
>>
>>55251517

>A really good sword

>The sword is a compass

>It's always, ALWAYS trying to point north

>Makes it hard to use unless you position accordingly when fighting someone
>>
>>55251578
Did you write the Sword of Truth series?!
>>
A vampires sword that makes its weilder think they're invincible. Any damage dealt to living creatures will heal for that amount, but the weilder will refuse to use shields, armor, or other weapons as it would "restrict their ability to kill"

It's a +3 Shortsword
>>
>>55250397
A curse which compels you to incorporate every slash, stab, and parry into a sweet air guitar routine.
>>
>>55250397
Just go with the classics man. Stormbringer is the perfect cursed sword.
>>
>>55250397
Every time the cursed sword kills someone, a letter is delivered to the killed person's closest friend/family/next of kin with a picture and detailed description of the sword's wielder and their role in the death.

Have fun with your PC's always feeling hunted
>>
File: xalibur backwards.png (142KB, 500x525px) Image search: [Google]
xalibur backwards.png
142KB, 500x525px
>>
>>55251675
Sheiit
>>
>>55251248
So, 3 massive cliches? Cool.
>>
>>55251840
You are free to add to the list.
>>
>>55250397
Why just settle for swords?

I did a sadly incomplete arc with cursed weapons made by an evil blacksmith. (wanted to cause an eternal war so his weapons would be in high demand)

1. Sword: Cursed Paladin's sword. Gave the wielder the ability to sense an innocent's suffering, but not the ability to turn it off. No false positives, either. It eventually drove the Paladin who picked it up crazy, and he had to be knocked out. Sure, you could just drop it... but that means letting an innocent suffer.

2. Dagger. Allowed the wielder to kill another human to 'steal' their remaining years. This one was more insidious. It gave slowly diminishing returns, and accelerated the aging of the user. Yes, dropping the dagger would stop the aging. No, the chemist using it wasn't humble enough to do so.

3. Katana. Blood-stealing sword that grew stronger with each kill and drove wielder to murder. First owner was a samurai who resisted long enough to have an ally cut off his non-dominant hand. Second was a thief ringleader who went crazy.

4. Knuckles. Enhanced your pugilistic abilities a hundredfold, but made everyone with even a working knowledge of martial arts want nothing more than to fight you. Sadly never got to run this session.
>>
>>55250397
I've always been fond of the flavour text for WoC's Hellfire Sword:
>The Hellfire Sword was first wielded by the Chaos Lord Garathor but, over time, it consumed his lifeforce until nought remained within his armour but ash. When the Hellfire Sword was prised from Garathor's ruined gauntlet years later, it flared so hotly that it fused into its new owner’s hand. Eventually, this fool’s spirit was also consumed, and the cycle began anew. Since its creation, a hundred mortals have borne this flame-wreathed blade, unaware of their doom until it was too late.

I'm picturing a parasitic item with something close to a mind of its own that drains the life force of its wielder and is always on the lookout for a new, more powerful user.
>>
File: 1504659309739.png (107KB, 341x334px) Image search: [Google]
1504659309739.png
107KB, 341x334px
>>55251705
>that filename
>>
>>55250397
Have you personally dealt with every interesting iteration of cursed sword?
No?
Well solved that quickly enough.
>>
>>55251457
>rapp
>rewind
>blunt

Away from this board, your subliminal messaging will never get us to listen to your weird jungle music
>>
The sword discourages you from fighting with every kill by showing you the life you took away and what could have been
>>
File: SwordWrapCursedRapper.png (81KB, 950x675px) Image search: [Google]
SwordWrapCursedRapper.png
81KB, 950x675px
Save this, you nerds. Comedy gold.
>>
File: 1464623385820.jpg (149KB, 600x665px) Image search: [Google]
1464623385820.jpg
149KB, 600x665px
How about a sword that 'wants' to always be used in combat, so it curses the bearer to be constantly caught up in conflict?
If they walk into a city, the citizenry starts a violent protest against the rulers
Police or guards get brutal faster
Army camps try to conscript them
Monsters/undead/bandits/whatever are more likely to raid villages
Simple tavern arguments turn into bloody shankings in the blink of an eye.

The bearer themselves isn't cursed, but the sword itself carries the curse with it.
Thoughts?
>>
A sword that is a dagger, a longsword, a bastard sword, or a great sword depending on who wields it. The blade itself is a +3 [Weapon] Of Wounding.

Blade sign changes according to your penis size. Everyone who sees the weapon knows the effect.
>>
>>55250397
> A sword that raises everyone killed by it as the undead a few hours after death.
> A hammer that can break a hole in reality and does so on critical hit or fumble, summoning lesser demons.
> A weapon that makes the wielder younger by stealing the years of life from their enemies. You really shouldn't use it against elves and dragons if you don't want to become a baby again. And using it against undead actually ages you one year per undead per level.
>>
>>55252528
>kill a bandit
>indundated with visions of rape, robbery and murder of innocent travelers

Yeah, that could suck. Ofc, the question of whether the visions are true, semi-accurate, or pure BS is excellent moralfag-despair fodder.
>>
>>55252636
And it actually works vice versa. And becomes a giant sword in a woman's hands. Weapon is called "Blade of Compensation".
>>
>>55251992
So the black blade from Elric
>>
>Sword of Boons and Banes
>Enhances the wielder's ability to solve some of their problems at the cost of negatively influencing something else they value.

Cursed items are internal conflict generators. If you can't make them interesting, it just means you're unable to understand your players or their characters.
>>
It's possessed by a rather pompous noble ghost, and acts accordingly, giving bonuses to characters based on how pure their bloodline is, how wealthy they are etc.
>>
>>55251470
>Don't drop it, it'll cut to the center of the world!
>>
>>55252937
Don't drop that shit!
>>
>>55252770
I wouldn't know as I've no idea what Elric is.
>>
>>55252972
Get the fuck out
>>
>>55252974
First tell me wtf it is.
>>
>>55253246
One of the most well known and classic pieces of fantasy literature to exist, to the point that people reference it all the time, and some bands like Blue Öyster Cult wrote songs about it.

I've never even read any of the Elric or other Eternal Champion books, and even I know how influential he is. Have you been living under a rock, or are you just underage?
>>
>>55253246
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=elric

Pacifist cursed weapon. Sizable bonus to parry, sizable malus to damage.
>>
>>55253296
>>55253304
Ah it's some Moorcock character.
I'm not that knowledgeable about fantasy writers so yeah I do live under the proverbial rock in regards to it.
>>
>>55251248
so, Soul Edge, Soul Edge, or Soul Edge?
>>
File: 1442335601778.jpg (61KB, 557x400px) Image search: [Google]
1442335601778.jpg
61KB, 557x400px
>>55250397
Isn't that a falcata?
>>
>>55250397
That's a falcata.
>>
>>55251030
Urumi
>>
File: 1494543780743.png (35KB, 200x219px) Image search: [Google]
1494543780743.png
35KB, 200x219px
>>55251705
It was so obvious knowing ankama and yet.
>>
It might be a bit rail roadish but
>he who takes up the sword cannot die until their appointed hour.
The sword it's self gives bonuses to hit/damage, enough that it would be tempting to just about anyone. However, after the first time a character drwas the blade they find themselves being guided or influenced by an outside force which may or may not go against the characters moral compass. Should the character be killed before their time the sword raises them as a revanant or Lich like undead, granting them more power but under greater control of the blade or outside force. When the appointed hour arrives (the complete their task/quest, face off against a specific person/whatever the the GM and player come up with) the character sheaths the blade and dies. No saving throw or manner of resurrection possible, the character has fulfilled their purpose.
>>
>>55250397
>horse head hilt
>khopis
>>
>>55255909
Yes, the only worth mentioning thing Spain ever did
>>
>>55252576
........................... that's like a shard from Worm in sword form.

Brilliant. Totally going to use this, as it's basically "sword of walking plot points" for easy GMing.
>>
I made a curse where the user had to use that sword to fight back if they were attacked, which sucked for the DEX based player that picked it up.
>>
>>55255909
its essentially the same sword just falcata is a modern term for Spanish examples.
>>
>>55256964
Debatable, they don't know if it was brought from Greece or developed independent of each other for the same purpose.
>>
>>55256064
>>55255909
The swords curse is that the owner is continually harassed by annoying individuals insisting it be called by a specific name, resulting in unending yet meaningless discussions at every corner.
>>
>>55257013
Thats true ,but if you were greek educated at the time you would refer to it as a Kopis or Makhaira.
Falcata is just a made up term for archaeological classification.
>>
File: subtle-knife.jpg (31KB, 304x475px) Image search: [Google]
subtle-knife.jpg
31KB, 304x475px
>>55252937
>>55251470
>>
>A slashing sword that forces the weilder to use it like a thrusting sword
>A katana that takes an obnoxiously long time to unsheath
>A claymore made of an indestructible material that has an explosive rune inscribed into it, creating a deadly blast every time it strikes something
>A sword that only cuts skin, harmlessly phasing through all other materials
>A sword that changes its appearance every time nobody looks at it.
>>
I like the idea of a sword that gets stronger with every kill. Then it you casually mention to the player that he has a feeling he shouldn't sheath it. Make it seem like he is sensing impending danger. Make a fake roll if you have to so the player is convinced his perception has picked up something amiss, like an upcoming ambush or something. Then, also as casually as possible without any in game consequences so the player doesn't accuse you of railroading, bring up that the character has forgotten to sheath the weapon. Perhaps the party is done adventuring or is travelling with no danger in sight, and the weapon is still in the hand of the player. Eventually make it an obvious compulsion. Tell the player it is harder and harder to let go of the weapon. Will checks to let go of it. While this is happening, make the sword get stronger. The character now has ambidexterity or off-hand bonuses to make it less burdensome that the character has effectively lost any use of his hand other than welding the weapon. When the character has given up on letting go, make the weapon start to merge with his hand/arm.
>>
>>55257392
See the thing with cursed weapons is there needs to be a reason to keep them around. Some benefit that makes the curse seem worth it.
>A slashing sword that forces the weilder to use it like a thrusting sword
Why would anyone use this?
>A claymore made of an indestructible material that has an explosive rune inscribed into it, creating a deadly blast every time it strikes something
People will use this, but not as intended, and when abused with minimal creativity it has no downside.
>A sword that changes its appearance every time nobody looks at it.
The only one that has a reason to exist, and at best it's a prank.

All of your curses can and should have been deduced shortly after picking the sword up, followed immediately by it being discarded, or a construction order for an unusual slingshot being placed. Unless, don't tell me. You aren't one of those hacks that makes it so haha you can't not use it and can't get rid of it curses are you?
>>
>>55257642
>>A sword that only cuts skin, harmlessly phasing through all other materials
>Why would anyone use this?
literally armor piercing.
https://youtu.be/rnKETD-iQbA
>>
>>55257891
>literally armor piercing.
Yes good thing we can give that big mean old knight a paltry flesh wound under his plate. Haha just imagine how irritating it will be for his gambeson to be rubbing up against that!

Also sadly I can give you no points on your second rebuttal that's clearly not a katana.
>>
>>55257947
i mean, a bunch of cuts through all layers of skin would be bothersome irl, i had a bit of a brain fart there and assumed it would just cut normally after going through armor, my bad.
as for the video, intention counts, right?
>>
The mis-enchanted sword.

Pulp novel.

The bearer was invincible but the sword couldn't be sheathed until it killed.

Other curses:
+3 sword, but shouts out 'hey you!' At most inopportune times.

+x sword but smell like some stepped in poop.

+x sword but when it hits says 'ta-dah!'

+x sword but people have to save vs Chas or you have to complement it. When you do it replies... 'oh yeah... you know you like it!'
>>
>>55257947
Ever gotten a paper cut? They're only skin deep and they hurt like hell.
>>
>>55257998
Fair enough
>>55258014
There are people that haven't gotten papercuts? Discounting the obvious uncontacted tribes still hiding out in the amazon of course.
If they get hit by an errant logging splinter does that count though?
>>
>>55250397
Sure.
I find that curses are more engaging the simpler they are.
>You find that under no circumstance can you let go of the sword.
>The sword is magnetic, and will cling to any metallic surface.
>The sword is ridiculously heavy when sheathed, but extremely swift when drawn.
>The sword emits a whistling chirp when swung.
>The sword appears to be unbreakable, but catches on its sheathe constantly.
>The sword warps and bends around the target if trying to slash something on its's edge, only the tip seems to work.
>The sword's grip is ALWAYS an inch too short, even if you manually replace it.
>The sword rusts instantaneously when in contact with blood.
>>
>>55250397

I'd do a cursed sword by making it a normal magical sword, but then secretly assigning the bearer Villain Points (from GURPS) that hose their rolls and give them unpleasant coincidences that screw with them. Often in line with "the bearer of this sword shall lose those who he loves the most" or "this sword is sharp, but the wielder shall bleed even more". "he who uses this sword on the battlefield shall find his name sullied when he returns home" Or, best of all, "in the end no good shall come of this sword"

That's something that even the players won't notice, unlike most negative game mechanics, and eliminates the whole issue of forcing them to not simply throw the damn thing away because it's so obviously bad for them. It also means you have a temptation to hang onto the sword, not knowing how bad the curse might be, but seeing that it does provide normal magical benefits.
>>
The most perfect, deadly sword. Perfectly balanced, long reach, lightweight, and lightsaber levels of sharpness, can effortlessly cut through plate armor and shields. But when you unsheathe it for the first time, your hand cannot let go of it until it is sheathed again. And it grows painful, too. Your hand and arm will eventually start cramping.

Once you've sheathed it, you can never unsheathe it again. It simply won't leave the scabbard.

So basically a one time use super sword. You take it out, effortlessly defend yourself again 10 fully armed and armored assailants, behead the dragon, and cut a hole in the portcullis. Then you sheathe it and pass it on to who you think would be worthy.
>>
>>55257642
A sadist would gladly use it to slowly kill his victims and torture them in the process. Also known as lingchi or one thousand cuts.
>>
>>55258672
Not much of a curse then is it? Also I'm pretty sure that "death by a thousand cuts" refers to slowly carving up small portions of flesh from a still living person, not giving them a bunch of almost literally papercuts.

Actually barring the inevitable infection, I have my doubts this sword could even kill.
>>
>Sword falls in love with the wielder, will remove deadly damage inflicted in the wielder by removing the wound from them and lacing it on the nearest loved-one.
>Sword looks cruel and evil but has no magical properties, the curse is born though people think that such an evil looking sword is actually evil and so the effect of the curse will change depending on the rumours spread about the sword.
>A spear that gets sharper the more a person tells the truth, but will only allow itself to be picked-up by liars and boasters, because it doesn't want to kill.
>Sword that was used in a ritual meant to appease a God and stop a war was used improperly in said ritual, glimpsing the blade sends anybody that sees it into a battle frenzy and won't stop until they are dead.
>>
>>55257947
Two or three long uninterrupted fully skin breaking "scratches" would be extremely painful. It would be quick, require no skill. Just a few strokes and Bam. Excruciating pain.
>>
>>55258947
Yeah that's great. That supposed to mean something when another party member has already literally stabbed the guy?
>>
>>55257642
In AD&D, being unable to remove the cursed item was a common side-effect, you shouldn't be able to just ditch them.

The choice of using a cursed weapon shouldn't be "do the positives outweigh the negatives?" as much as it should be "are the negatives immediate enough to cure the weapon as quickly as possible?"
>>
>>55251640
+3 is pretty good though. By the time the player has reached the point where the sword weakens them they'll have got a lot of use out of it.
>>
>>55259016
Its also the laziest side effect. Also I would like you to take a little closer look at the following that you're quoting.
>seem worth it.
That seem there? That's super important for the point I was making.
>>
>>55259151
Then why have cursed weapons at all?

The point of a curse is to be a detriment, not a minmaxed buff to your character.
>>
>>55259174
Can you not read? Do you not know what seem means? The look worth it but ultimately aren't you fucking putz.

Combat stims are a fucking great modern "cursed item" if you get loose with your language. Just look at all those bonuses, sure there are some drawbacks when you come down from them, but combat will be over by then anyway. Next thing you know you've got a bad habit you can't shake that is costing you way more than you're making and putting you in debt to the wrong kind of people.

You knew the risks up front, but those bonuses sure looked worth it didn't they?

Of course you don't always have to be so upfront with the negatives with magic items, or even combat drugs for that matter.
>>
File: Charles_II_(1670-80).jpg (169KB, 674x880px) Image search: [Google]
Charles_II_(1670-80).jpg
169KB, 674x880px
>>55252845
Riiiight, because giving this guy a god-sword is SUCH a great idea. Bloodline so pure it couldn't continue. Quote "Charles II's genome was actually more homozygous than that of a child whose parents are siblings" And you want to give THAT guy the best possible sword?
>>
>>55258362
>>The sword is ridiculously heavy when sheathed, but extremely swift when drawn.
So it's good for puzzles and can't be stolen. You'd have a hard time explaining why you're carrying a drawn sword in public though, unless you hide the sheath.

>The sword rusts instantaneously when in contact with blood.
Might as well keep it rusty.
>>
>>55259249
Yes, that sounds like a fantastic plot hook.
>>
>>55251705

Rubilacxe?
>>
>The sword wields you as a weapon
>Not as in it possesses you or anything, it picks you up via telekinesis and bludgeons you against the enemy until the enemy or yourself die from blunt force trauma. Can't put the sword down because you're not wielding it.
>>
>>55259306
Well I can't argue with that logic I suppose, it would make an interesting NPC antagonist.
>>
>>55250397
The sword improves the user's prowess, but makes it so that they are less and less likely to draw it again everytime it's sheathed.

You're great, but violence starts to be less and less of an option, and you eventually have to push yourself in some way to draw the sword again.
>>
>>55259486
Seems like a good pick for someone good in h2h combat.
>>
File: hand-with-sword.jpg (102KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
hand-with-sword.jpg
102KB, 1200x675px
>>55251248
>>55251840
Cliches are cliches for a reason anon and >>55251887 is right.

My personal favourite is simply a very good sword. It will always keep it's edge, can cut most materials you'd expect from a very good sword and ignores magic.

The curse is that you can't put the sword away without killing somebody, not just something.
I mean it's quite literal glued to your hand and fingers by the curse.
In fact, as the new heros find the sword, there is still a skeletal hand attached to the hilt.

>>55250397
Basically, a good narrative curse makes people consider if they REALLY need the item right now.
>>
>>55260066
>The curse is that you can't put the sword away without killing somebody, not just something.
Fuck that.

Try this instead;
>when you grasp the sword it sticks to your fingers
>only by killing a person can you let go of the sword
>letting go means just that - dropping it
>if you pick it up to sheathe it, the same thing happens again
>>
>>55260066

Also the thing is for an interesting cursed item it has to be an conscious choice to use it, otherwise it will feel weak in passive media like books and movies or like railroading with traditional games.

>>55259700
>>55252528
>>55257392
Mostly compulsion effects and silly gimmick, might be more of an enchantment than a curse.
But can be fun and interesting on their own.

Curses that compell or affect NPC's with cimpulsion are a whole different thing tho.

>A magical sword that agiates peacfull (not veterans) people that see it
>A sword that becomes blunt till nightfall when it kills somebody who fights in self-defense.
That can fuck with certain players heads.
So can
>Sword that slays the soul as it does the body.
Here comes the curs by the person using it, awesome for blackguards, "literally last ditch item against liches" for the paladin
>>
>>55260139
Basically what i meant, but thanks for elaborating.
Since english isn't my first language, something like that is actually welcome.
>>
>>55260259
I got what you were saying perfectly clear. I don't know why he felt the need to say it again.
>>
>>55257642
>>55258672
>>55258775
I really think you're underestimating this effect.
Since it phases through literally any other material, that means that any swing will go straight through a person (since skin isn't super hard to cut), leaving them with, depending on your aim, a perfect cut right down to the muscle ALL THE WAY AROUND THEIR CHEST AND QUITE PROBABLY ONE OR BOTH ARMS.
This would cause SERIOUS pain and bleeding, plus infection risks or whatnot later on.
Now, this might not be the most effective weapon out there, especially since you couldn't block with it, but as, say, an offhand weapon for a dual wielder it could be pretty damned effective.
Especially if you could poison it somehow, but it seems pretty likely the poison would be left behind on the outside of the targets armour/clothing.
>>
>>55260243
Honestly my problem with items you can't get rid of isn't that it feels like a faint choo choo in the distance. Its because its a gotcha. Nothing more, nothing less. Haha you touched the thing, gotcha it was cursed. Cheapest shit imaginable.
>>
>>55260284
Also, it occurs to me, the "curse" would eliminate the ordinary downsides of making the blade excessively blunt and/or serrated, which would afford you the chance to inflict some pretty horrible tearing wounds, further exacerbating the physical and mental trauma.
>>
>>55260284
Dude, that's still just a less than medicore sword which will only be usefull for torturers.

Yeah getting cut hurts, but especially in the mids of combat you won't bother with something that's even less than a fleshwound.
The pain would only a factor after things like the adrenaline rush and the possible shock subsided.

2/10 Shitty curse, would't use unless edgelord.
>>
>>55260284
If you're trying so desperately hard to claim the sword is great, then how the fuck can you also call it cursed?
>>
>>55260284
Its even better than that.
>unsheath
>swing
>passes through enemy sword block
>passes through shield
>passes through armor
>connects with the neck
>artery has been severed
>enemy panics
>enemy has bleed to death
>>
>>55260418
>passes through enemy sword block
which then catches you upside the face.
>>
>>55260405
A curse should be a drawback, in a way that makes you not really want to use it. But it should also have something powerful that makes you want to use the weapon.

A cursed weapon shouldn't just be "haha you picked up the weapon now you suck" it should be "This weapon is powerful, but do you really want to use it with this effect happening?"
>>
>>55260330
Well shit man, your fault if somebody introduces a cursed item poorly to you.
Even as a good gm, just send in some gobbos to kill so the effect becomes clear.

Also context is a bit important for a curse.

It will be pretty annoying when it's a dungeon delving campain, mostly you fight primitive humanoids and you lose the use of your main hand, that's not a fun curse.

But what in a game where the players are royal knights and do diplomatic work with other countries ?
Then you are suddenly the idiot who has a (possible known) sword glued to his hand because he misread the situation and maybe has even to ask for some convicted criminal to execute, only to be able to attend to the ball this evening.
>>
>>55260435
>it should also have something powerful
which paper cutter lacks.
>>
>>55260433
How?
>>
>>55260463
BECAUSE HIS SWORD WILL JUST MOVE THROUG YOUR SWORD BECAUSE IT'S AN EDGELORD PIECE OF TRASH THAT ONLY CUTS SKIN.
>>
>>55260463
Really?
>>
>>55260405
It's just massively situational. You don't want to use it for long term combat situations or for defensive purposes, and it would work best if you got the drop on your foe. Cutting up their hand so they can't raise their sword then slicing painful wounds on their body, then finishing them off with another weapon.
>>
>>55260513
>It's just massively situational.
It's called a shitty enchantment.
As to the rest of your post, holy shit no.
Come on we've been over this.
>>
>>55260513
>Cutting up their hand so they can't raise their sword.

Did literally nobody on this fucking thread ever got hurt or cut ?
like broke a bone, while working with power tools or in a car accidient ?

Was pain alway an immediate experiece, even when you didn't notice what hurt you ?

Also
>Thinking a papercut will stop somebody from stabbing that edgy mofo that just jumped out of the bush
>>
>>55257947
I mean you could basically bleed a person to death.
>>
>>55252564
Huh. I didn't think it was that funny when I posted it, but I'm glad I brought a smile to your face, at least.
>>
>>55260488
>>55260490
When ones block, he usually doesn't swing against enemy attack, but tries to intercept it, redirect it and use the opening it provides for a counter.
If anything, enemy attack phasing through would seriously mess with him because he both didn't expect it and didn't train against it.
>>
>>55260555
You know. Next supers game I run that anon is showing up as a gag villain. He will be papercut man, maybe his ultimate attack will be a cardboard cut (fuck those sting). The worst villain who will just break down screaming the second you hit him.
>>
File: skin.jpg (225KB, 646x438px) Image search: [Google]
skin.jpg
225KB, 646x438px
>>55257947
If it cuts skin, it can cut veins and nerves, so yeah, you can definitely bleed someone to death with it, and more inexperienced enemies would react to the wounds
>>
>>55260562
That would be an interesting mechanic.
No damage, inflict bleed on every hit, ignore armor.
>>
>>55260627
Pretty sure this thread should have already demonstrated to you that when people say skin they usually just mean the epidermis. If anything your suggestion also ruined the already flimsy premise of the sword being cursed and not just garbage.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>55251248
>>55251578
>>55251671
>>55251675
>>55257093
>>55258552
>>55260066
>>55260243

I like those, those are good curses
>>
>>55260405
I never called it cursed. I called it "cursed" once, though.

>>55260461
>>55260555
>Papercut: Literally paper thin, very small and local, cuts uppermost layers of skin
>This cut: However wide the blade is, likely all the way around one or more body parts, cuts all the way down
Yeah, totes the same thing man, good job
>>
>>55260704
nigger you are in a cursed sword thread where that sword was posted in a list of fucking cursed swords, are you literally retarded.
>>
>>55250397
>Sword that heats up with every swing and starts burning your hand after few turns.
Good idea/bad idea/interesting idea?
>>
File: Cutterwrist.jpg (24KB, 350x258px) Image search: [Google]
Cutterwrist.jpg
24KB, 350x258px
>>55260585
>>55260627

You are a special kind of anon, aren't you ?

First of all, the only blood vessles that are evem remotely close enough to the epidermis AND big enough, so that it's even possible to bleed to death are those in the wrists.
For which you would need a fucking surgical strike to hit them in any meaningfull fashion.
See pic for the only way that results in somewhat certain death at the wrist.
When you are a swordfigher that good, you can just pick up a fire iron and kill anybody you want in the same fashion

And those in the Fucking neck.
You know your neck, that fucking frail pedestal on which your presumable empty head resides.
Any idea how hard it is to hit the fucking neck on somebody WHO DOESN'T WANT TO GET HIT IN THE NECK ?
Pretty hard.

>If anything, enemy attack phasing through would seriously mess with him because he both didn't expect it and didn't train against it.
That's pretty much a fucking meme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml_NAhhACTY

So we have now TWO points on the whole fucking human body that would result in an mentionable effect when EDGEalibur hits them there.
Any offbrand iron sword from a blacksmith will only have a mentionable result (instant death) in one of those two the neck
Now the funny thing is, said iron sword will also be effective ON ALL OF THE TORSO AND HEAD.

And for your autisitc brain, that's a much bigger space than neck and wrists.
>>
>>55260900
I think it's a good start.

Why would i wan't to use the blade in the first place and how are "a few turns" defined ?
Are there any effects that accelerate it ?
>>
>>55256920
Tortillas are delicious, you take that back.
>>
>>55250397
> A weapon that's sure to best any foe you meet, but for every life you cut short, your own life shortens. Use it with caution.
>>
>>55260944
Maybe there are baddies weak to fire causing a rumble nearby. Maybe the blade heats up slightly faster and can for a very brief window be used as a flaming weapon.
>>
>>55261039
The fire of the blade could burst out when it's hitting the enemy, hurting the wielder.

If the enemy is an earth elemental or something like that, the backlash is small, but so is the fire effect on the enemy.
If the enemy burns welll the wielder gets basically covered in fire.
"now where did i put my stats for the straw golem ?"
>>
>>55260944
Thinking about it, I have two ways it could work.
A) When out off the sheath, sword bursts into flames. It deals additional fire damage. However, even tho flames dont damage the sword itself, the steel heats up, so it starts to burn your hand if you hold it out too long. So additional damage, but you will have to end fights quickly unless you want to suffer burn damage.
B) It heats up with every swing you take, so it gets more powerful with every swing, but starts to burn you more and more the more you use it. Cools off when you dont swing it.
>>
>>55261097
I was thinking more of a
hits 1-3 handwarmer
hits 4-5 hurts you slightly but not them, not quite flame weapon
hits 6-7 flame weapon that also hurts you
hits 8+ structural stability of sword and hands cannot be guaranteed
>>
>>55260789
...No?
The guy asked me how I could call the sword cursed, but I never did.
My entire post (well, two posts really) was dedicated to arguing for the potential usefulness of that particular sword, and I specifically called it "cursed" (note the quotation marks, turns out they're usually important) because I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people here obviously do.
He clearly thought I was arguing two diametrically opposed points at the same time, and I pointed out how I wasn't.
See? It's not that hard to understand.
>>
>>55250397
Just copy Stormbringer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCxL3-Fl7bM
>>
Something I think should be kept in mind with cursed items is the idea that the benefits should be greater than the curse. I feel like if people were to pick between a good but cursed item and an alright but normal one, they'd pick the normal one.

The idea should be that when someone gets saddled with this curse, they feel as if the curse itself is bearable for the benefits they obtain. Not that this is something they should be desiring, but only held back by the curse - then they'll just go in another direction.
>>
>>55250397
Heavy two-handed sword that shoots lightning on hit, but if wielder wears metal armor his ass also gets zapped.
>>
File: Hiltless_inventory_icon.png (18KB, 156x312px) Image search: [Google]
Hiltless_inventory_icon.png
18KB, 156x312px
>>55261140
Oooohh
That sounds way neater than my idea desu.
Yeah it could work very well like that.

Now i have the idea where the sword is just a very old enchanted fire sword.
but over time the magic degraded and now you have said effect.

Or the blade is actually so old that the hilt degraded and now you basically swing only the blade around, trying to add a new hilt fucks with the magic and the fire magic won't start.
Basically Hiltless from demon's souls and hiltless was a sexy beast
>>
>>55250397
>sword deals greater damage than normally
>when wielded, makes user an expert swordsman
>when out of sheath, sword cannot be dropped
>when out of sheath, user feet are rooted where they were planted
>when wielding, no force is able to move user from where ha stands or make him fall
>literally The 'You shall not pass' Sword
>>
The saber's blade is a flat blood red, and appears to ripple when swung. When wielded, it's seen to cleanly pass through metal, cutting only the flesh on the other side-but metal also passes cleanly through it.
In the first round of combat with an intelligent creature unaware of the blade's properties, make all attacks as if against an unaware and unarmored target. In subsequent rounds or against unintelligent creatures, make all attacks as touch attacks, ignoring any active defenses, parry chances, defensive bonuses, or soak relying on equipment. Your attacks do not gain any damage bonus from strength, you may not parry or take advantage of active defenses which rely on a weapon, and you lose any defensive bonus from martial training (including bonus hit die size.)

A gigantic, rust-encrusted claymore; both dull and unwieldy, it deals 1d6 each bludgeoning and subdual damage and carries a 25% penalty to hit (or the closest possible in your system; round up if equidistant.) When attacking, if you miss, determine whether the same attack would have hit your opponent if disarmed and not actively defending, then if so and with any shield removed, then if so and unarmored; the second hit in a single combat on each of these categories sunders a metallic and nonmagical weapon, shield, or suit of armor respectively.

A flaming longsword with a pommel in the shape of an open-mawed bear's head. As you brandish the sword, you begin to feel lightheaded. For each three rounds the sword is alight, you consume energy equivalent to a day's rations. This does not alter the rate at which you digest food, and it is only with great discomfort that you can finish a second day's rations per day to compensate.

A masterwork bastard sword. It may be folded over up to ten times, reducing its size to that of a sewing needle for concealment, then unfolded as a partial action allowing a single attack in the same round. However, it shatters if used to attack an opponent in plate armor.
>>
>>55261752
Besides the alst one, how are those swords cursed ?

You know that this is a thread about cursed swords, right ?
>>
>>55261752
Why on earth should I use the last sword?
>>
>>55261871
Kinda neat for an assassin, but I wonder HOW exactly player would know that it shatters when hits plate armor.
>>
>>55261829
First: level 20 fighter (average HP 51+CON mod, cannot use Fight Defensively, loses Combat Expertise)
Second: -5 to hit, subdual damage, useless against beasts, the unarmored, and anything above level 10
Third: literally starve to death in around 10 minutes of combat, only nurse yourself back to health at a rate of 3 rounds of use/day.

If anything, the first three are too weak.

>>55261871
>>55261898
was I too subtle
>>
>>55261914
>was I too subtle
Fucking hell I just got it, well played.
>>
>>55262114
I still don't get it.
Send help.
>>
>>55250397
The sword is exceptionally good but every time it takes a life, it gets heavier and heavier, until you can lift it no more.
To lighten it, you have to spend long hours to wring out all the blood it drank striking it ferociously with a forger mallet or similar object.
It's sung you can feel the wailing of every victim during this ritual.
When you kill a pure being, like a child, the heaviness suddenly increase, like if their blood was of lead and granite.
>>
File: eye_violence.png (73KB, 242x364px) Image search: [Google]
eye_violence.png
73KB, 242x364px
>>55262362
>When you kill a pure being, like a child, the heaviness suddenly increase, like if their blood was of lead and granite.
Meh. I think it would work better if the sword was ambivalent to the killings. It would be even better if it hungered for blood, and gave the user a rush every time it gets fed. So the bearer would be torn apart emotionally as they have to deal with their lust for bloodshed, and the massive guilt they have to deal with afterwards. Eventually they would be driven to total madness.
>>
Take a conventional D&D weapon enchantment and subvert it with some sort of appropriate drawback - one that is mildly inconvenient at first, but grows more serious with use, even as the weapon grows more powerful in the hands of the afflicted hero.

An example: Sword of Nietzsche's Bane.
>He who fights monsters should take care that he himself does not become a monster...

At first, this behaves like the old D&D "Bane" enchantment, granting an accuracy and damage bonus to attacks made against a specific monster type (dragons, undead, goblinoids, etc). As the weapon slays more of that type of monster, these combat-roll bonuses grow more powerful - but the wielder begins to take on the physical and/or psychological aspects of this hated foe, with all their accompanying drawbacks. (A human wielding a man-slaying weapon would manifest the worst aspects of his own species.)

The cursed weapon's owner can stop using it any time before it completely transforms him into the thing he hates most - but will he be willing to give up the most powerful tool he has in his campaign against that enemy?
>>
>>55262362
Interesting.
Gives an incentive to incapacitate but nor kill enemies. That, depending on how exp gain works, may stifle the progress of PC.
How would 'wringing' mechanic be implemented? STR check followed by sanity/WIL check to lower weight my pound? Or to 'wring' the blood of a single kill?
Additional weight lowering to-hit/accuracy?

All in all, bretty good imho.
>>
>>55256881
It's a falcata you nonce
>>
>>55250397
You find a box containing dozens of short swords. Each one always points upwards, no matter how you try to handle them. They all have round pommels, which are extremely slippery.
>>
Only good example of cursed equipment is from Dragon Quest, in that cursed equipment's negative effects had some niche mechanical interaction, such as combining the cursed armor that removed all defense with damage reflecting abilities, or the hammer that hits 1/10 of the time but always crits on enemies that can't dodge.

For all the fluff you give to your OC donut steel Frostmourne, if it isn't mechanically interesting then it's just story detritus
>>
My last three characters have been a cursed sword.
>>
>>55252937
Pretty sure I read a DuckTales comic about this, except it was some form of super-acid McDuck had his scientist friend make that dissolves everything except diamonds.
>>
How about a weapon that bestows incredible calm while it's wielded. In the face of impossible odds and unknowable horrors alike it keeps you completely level headed granting some combat bonus and immunity to mind altering effects. It even prevents madness. Once it's set aside the emotions come in a burst leaving you a blubbering mess for an amount of time proportionate to the stress negated. Some situations it's a boon, others you re made a blubbering puddle for 2 days. This would be a great one for a good role player.
>>
>>55262658
Wouldn't the sword stop once the hilt hit tho? Or are you suggesting the entire sword, handle and all, gets sharper?
>>
A sword that does not tolerate injustice and forces you to kill anything evil even if it mean breaking the law
>>
>>55250397
A sword that after hit morphs into other random type of melee weapon.
>hit, now its an axe
>hit, now its a spear
>hit, now its a mace
>hit, now its a dagger
>hit, now its a sword again
>>
>>55262658
Yep, that's a classic.
Don Rosa, I think.
>>
>>55262756
Dude, this is basically how a lot of real-life soldiers deal with combat - they go full Zen when the bullets start flying, too focused on fighting to freak out in that moment. The freak-out comes later. If it persists, they call it PTSD.
>>
>>55262829
Nailed the inspiration my friend. Not a bad idea for a cursed wep amirite?
>>
An Unironically Cursed Sword that nullifies the ironic curses of other cursed equipment near it.
>>
>>55262851
I like it. Bonus points if you use it for a katana in a Legend of the Five Rings campaign.

>mushin no shin
>>
>>55262863
A sword that is able to absorb curses from other items into itself, un-cursing them in the process and multiplying the damage it does by the number of curses it absorbed. All curses apply to wielder, of course.
>>
>>55262798
>now it is the same sword, except the blade is facing you so you have to turn it around.
>now the blade and pommel have swapped places
>Now it has a blade on both ends of the handle
>The spirit in the sword has told you it quite likes this form, and kindly asks you to stop hitting things as it refuses to change into anything else for a while.
>>
>>55262458
>It would be even better if it hungered for blood
Too obvious and violent. There are too many bloodlust swords around and defies the resource management aspect.
Maybe if it became less heavy with innocent victims, that would put a bigger moral problem around.

>>55262529
The basic point of wringing is (apart from being cool) it takes a long depressing times. The kill to wring ratio is bad. So the player should aske every time: is there really need to use this very efficient weapon?
Resource management and moral quandry in one package.
The sanity check you add or not depending on you campaign. With emotional players, description may be enough.
>>
>>55251535
I personally prefer that the sword convince the player to fall rather than just lowering their charisma or saying "kill that fucker" and forcing the player to obey. Make the sword manipulative or make it in such a way that it benefits sociopathy eg.
>Evil sword does +1 damage for the first good person it kills
>Evil sword does +2 damage for the next 5 good people it kills
>Evil sword does +3 damage for the next 25 good people it kills
>Evil sword does +4 damage for the next 125 good people it kills
>Evil sword does +5 damage for the next 625 good people it kills
Fluff the sword as having the essence of an evil monarch who placed used a ritual to seal his essence into the sword to avoid being killed for his crimes.

>Sentient evil sword behaves like a psychopath
>Hides its true nature, lies often but lies well enough that even when found out they could be assumed to be ignorance on the sword's part
>Sword is extremely intelligent and charismatic, will offer tactical advice in battle and diplomatic advice when talking to people
>Sword convinces owner that specific people are actually set against them
So the sword might eventually be seen as an integral part of the party so when he says the duke was replaced with an imposter since his body movement was slightly different the party would be likely to listen to it.

>Sword gives owner nightmares unless they do its bidding
>After a few days of nightmares character loses the effects of a long rest or suffers levels of exhaustion

>Sword is a petty asshole
>Demands highly specific and tedious treatment
>No, you have to sharpen, buff, sharpen, buff, polish, buff, polish every morning not sharpen, buff, polish, sharpen, buff, polish!
>No, I refuse to let you wear that armour, it will make me look of low quality in comparison!
>Stop helping poor people, its embarrassing!
>If player refuses sword simply refuses to use its magical properties
>>
Vampiric Plowshare +3

The origins of this cursed farm tool are unknown
Its malevolent aura sucks the blood from any foes it sows
>>
the sword is like a noodle
>>
>>55262954
I would love to see this animated.
>>
>>55250397
Yes
>>
the blade is possesed by the last creature it kills, it can talk but only when unsheated
>>
>>55262975
Wouldn't players just handwave 'In the meantime, when everybody is eating/camping/taking a break/resting, I hammer at the sword to make it lighter'?
I mean, I totally understand that the situation has much weight to it and all, but I feel at least some players would take it as just minor inconvenience that they can resolve off-screen.
>>
>>55257392
Wouldn't you just end up cutting the person inside the armor if it phases through it? Isn't that a massive benefit?
>>
>>55251248
>whichblade
>every time you draw it, roll d100 in the Edged Implements table
>result is what's on the hilt
>>
>>55263951
You also can't parry, and if you're just cutting the skin your actual damage inflicted is somewhere between an illusion and slow bleeding.

Even if it cuts flesh and bone, the no parrying and no swordplay part is going to leave you nearly as defenseless.
>>
>>55263951
We had a pretty big discussion about that, if you browse through the thread.
I'm one of the guys who was "for".
>>
>>55251597
Just think of the catchphrase potential
>>
>>55250397
The silver blade of laer.
>>
I like the way Bleach did it.
>swords are artificial beings imprinted with your powers and personality
>you hate your sword because he's an asshole
>power boosts are gained by realizing that it's just you, which means accepting that you're an asshole
>>
>>55250397
I gave a player an intelligent sword that was tsundere as fuck. Does that count as a curse?
>>
>>55264029
Shield?
>>
>>55250397
Yeah, just don't give them a boring curse.
>>
>appears to be two hilts connected guard-to-guard
>when you pull a hilt, you can unsheath 50ft's worth of blade
>there is no actual point
>>
>>55257392
>claymore
HE WHO HAS THE SWORD MUST NEXT BECOME THE MASTER
SEEKING OUT THE STONES - WITH A CARROT-NOSED DOG?!
>>
>>55264133
Or offhand dagger would be the other solution. It would still be nasty in a system that doesn't give fighters proficiency: everything or if cursed item rules weren't so incredibly metagamable.
>>
File: 1486513794070.png (188KB, 298x273px) Image search: [Google]
1486513794070.png
188KB, 298x273px
>>55251101
did he use his sharingan too much?
>>
>>55262756
In The Magicians, they had to act with zero emotions to pull off a spell. Now I'm talking about a bunch of hipstery grad students who are all fucking each other (Alice is best girl, gay dude is coolest guy) and are emotional wrecks by dint of being Magicians at all. So they cheat, and channel their emotions into a magic pendant the size of a shot glass. They toast to a job well done, drink, and break down.
>>
Not exactly cursed, but what would be some good flaws/drawbacks to poorly built items?

My setting's running out of magical resources, and I want to represent that by having newer magical items skimp on the materials, ending up terribly flawed as a result.

I've got:
>ones that draw on the user's energy as fuel, rapidly tiring them out
>ones that don't adequately protect themselves from their own effects, breaking easily
>ones that don't protect their wielder adequately, meaning that normal people can't use them very well
>ones that draw on unsafe energies, drawing the attention of astral horrors, demons, etc
>ones that don't always work
>>
>blade that goes limp when exposed to something, like water, heat, light etc
>weapon that screams incoherently to townsfolk randomly
>piece of equipment that burdens you when you try to swim in water
>helmet that whispers in your ear, could be mimic
>poisoned shortsword that turns into snake when you try to parry with it, biting user

also, boots of blinding speed
>>
>>55262315
I believe Katanas deserve better than that
>>
A cursed sword with solid stats, but gravitates to nut shots
>>
>>55265417
>No shit, what kind of curse is it that it encourages obvious moral behavior?
You know, that could actually be a really good one in the right kind of campaign. The chaotic neutral bandit king as far out of graces with the ~forces of evil~ as he is with the king, the stick-in-the-mud cursed intelligent sword which refuses to allow unlawful behavior, and the Church of Pelor which will give him sanctuary but refuses to remove curse.
>>
File: 1498366855428.jpg (106KB, 560x510px) Image search: [Google]
1498366855428.jpg
106KB, 560x510px
>>55260916
>>55257947
You are literally a retard
>>
>>55265556
Bit late there sped police.
>>
>sword that abandons the wielder at a time of dire need
>an enthralling sword that grows heavier over time
>sword that grips the arm and swings the wielder
>a sword that emits a pungent odor sensible to everyone but the wielder
>sword that always hits, but has a 50% chance of striking the wielder
>sword of stone magnetism. God forbid you touch it to stone.
>sword that compels all who look upon the wielder to be overcome with the urge to laugh and mock them
>a sword of make believe, an illusory sword of no substance beyond an idea that convinces the wielder it is the most powerful sword capable of immense damage.
>>
A "sentient" sword, that's more akin to an actual living being rather than a soul trapped in a weapon. Against truly terrifying foes, it may become terrified, sometimes refusing to fight back and just screams at it's wielder to flee
>>
Sword of diminishing returns

The sword heavily boosts your skills when first used, but it drains your skill in the long run and makes you fight worse than you did to begin with.
>>
>>55250397
The sword is one of the finest quality but constantly belittles you for not being worthy of weilding it.

A sword that makes you impotent

a sword that makes everything you eat raw garlic

a sword that makes you the greatest fighter in the world....a 1000 years ago and you must constantly relive the same fight that you lose in an agonizingly painful way over and over again

A sword that is a pacifist

A sword that eats your positve emotions to work

a sword that is actually a person who fucks your lover behind your back and constantly tries to replace you

a sword that can never get wet or else it will explode

a sword that makes your skin really hard but over time will turn you to stone

a sword that is like crack/krokodil to use

a sword that is usless unless you sacrifice the thing/person you love most

a sword that makes your deeds famous but no will ever recognize you or be able to remember your name

A sword that is more powerful the less money you have

a sword that makes you the rightful ruler of some fucked up plane of existence

a sword that makes you blind

a sword that slowly fuses to you and makes you a revenant
>>
>>55250397
I am dyslexic, and I read through half of this thread thinking OP's question was "Is it still possible to do CURVED swords in an interesting way?" I was pretty confused.
>>
>>55261495
>The Blade of the Guardian
I'm going to steal this idea if I ever run another game.
>>
>>55261495
Townsaver called, it wants its royalty check.
>>
>>55250397
Sword that doesn't have a blade but the upper body of a drunken sailor (Popeye). He constantly talks incoherently while on your person. When swung he will give the good old 1 2 to the nearest enemy.
>>
>>55251256
This except you and the dm are the only ones that know
>>
>6 forks 1d2 damage with lesser healing on hit
>dragon breath
>party begin to stab each other and themselves with forks
>>
A cursed sword that when sheathed causes the wielder to forget whatever happened while the sword was drawn
>>
>>55266529
Literally the worst thing to come in contact with pcs. Whole in character out of character divide already takes a bit of mental effort to maintain, and you're asking a whole lot more. A whole lot functionally meaninglessly more. which means its also free to exploit by any rollplayer in the group.

And if it is just a normal sword with no benefit but also amnesia. Then boom trashed after a quick balance test upon discovery.
>>
>>55250397
In D&D if you weird the Sword of the eternal knight you are given 10 levels of fighter, and all of your other levels are removed until you can somehow remove the sword, you cannot gain levels at all.

You might find it really useful if you are some shitty farmer who wants to avenge his family, but if you are an adventurer you plateau and cant advance until it might be too late

(queue everyone in the party hitting level 11 and the fighter realizing his mistake)
>>
a cursed sword with bonus damage. Iit is also more difficult that normal to stop the bleeding from wounds dealt by the weapon and poisons or oils applied to the weapon are more potent than on a normal weapon.

during battle the blade diminishes the wielder's ability to tell friend from foe. They have to pass saves or take attacks of opportunity against friendly targets whenever allowed. Similarly, any attacks that strike more than one target will also strike friendly targets in range unless a save is passed. Every time the weapon deals damage in a given encounter the DC of the save increases by one. Holding the weapon also attracts the attention of any undead, werewolves, bats, and mosquitos within a quarter mile radius.

The weapon itself appears as a rusted straight saber with spikes along the back edge. Despite its rusted appearance, the blade is quite sharp and will deteriorate more slowly than a normal sword. The rust cannot be removed except by melting the sword or destroying it with magic, both of which would destroy the curse.
>>
>>55266557
If at any point a curse can be both discovered and found distasteful purely off of picking the weapon up, giving it a flick and a swish, and getting a feel for it. Then you've made a shitty curse. A curse with no history and no meaning.
>>
>>55266657
(queue pc retiring after instantly winning and becoming a literal super human demigod to the common man)

Oh dear my dreams and aspirations have been met instantly, but I can't reach even further towards slightly more demi-godhood status because I've already pretty much peaked so far as anyone is really concerned.

Oh woh is me. How could I turn down a life of being mediocre considering the number next to my name in exchanged for the curse of being a superhero in the eyes of my former self?
>>
>>55266701
10 is a Hero, but its not a demigod, you are one of the best fighters to live at that point, but you must live knowing that with all that effort you could have been even better.

also this is assuming the goal of the campaign isnt just kill some normal dudes, a level 10 fighter cant kill an adult dragon by themselves.
>>
>>55250397
An intelligent sword that starts taking on personality traits and alignment of the people it is used to kill. If a Paladin uses it to smite evil and shit, it becomes more evil. If a Brigand uses it to slaughter a bunch of innocent villagers, it becomes more good. The further away its alignment is from the wielder, the less damage it does.
>>
>>55266990
The sword also does more damage if the alignments of the sword and wielder line up.
And if it gets too far away, it might rebel, giving you a penalty
>>
>>55259070
Yeah but they're also running around with 12 AC and a shortsword, only able to do one attack per round, no ranged weapon or blunt weapon if they come across anything resistant to slashing.
If they're a Barbarian it might work but for anyone else it's a very restricting and high risk weapon to use.
>>
>>55252961
Pray to god you don't drop that shit.
>>
It makes you feel doubt
>>
>>55267045
Is such a blade truly real?
>>
>>55267068
Maybe it is but I'm not good enough to deserve it
>>
>>55250397
>interesting
Yes
>original
Doubtful
>>
>>55263316
I understand. GMs should enforce it in a not heavily railroady way. Obviously this'd be a problem in superhigh fantasy like dnd, where the warforged pg can purify the sword at no cost.
A pg in a WoD like game would damage his stamina, humanity and time management.

>>55262362
Lets rewrite.

>Sword is supernaturally good.
The honeycomb.

>Killing people make it absorbs their 'sins'.
>For every guy it kills, it gets heavier, possibly in a porportional way to the sins.
>Using it non-lethally it's difficult, even more when heavy.
The resources management.

>There are two ways to enlighten-purify it.
>First one is to spend countless and fatiguing hours squeezing the sins out in the form of blood.
>You neeed somthing like an anvil and a big mallet, like if you were forging it.
>There's lot of blood per sin. Tipically you'll end in a lake of blood at your feet.
>The second one is to kill innocent people with it (children, mormons, etc.).
>Their purity cancels the sins absorbed, enlightening the weapon.
This is the moral compromise.

>Many evil forces seek the sword, to use it.
>Many angelic forces seek the sword, to destroy it.
>Someone seeks the sword, to use its inifinite weight potential. He's ok with sacrificing infinite people to balance a very heavy important thing.
Now you have a setting that interact with the weapon.
Do I miss something?
>>
>>55266657
In dnd 3.5 that would be pretty useless. Shitty farmers do not have the prerequisites for many bonus combat feats.
>>
File: Sandai Kitetsu.png (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Sandai Kitetsu.png
3MB, 1920x1200px
>>55250397
The curse is suppressed for the wielder if they have a high enough stat relating to the curse.
>>
>>55252770
>>55252972
>>55253296

Yeah he's not the only one who hasn't heard of this one particular book from 1970. He's not likely to be underage, you're probably just old.

That said; the cover art is by Frank Frazetta so I'll probably check it out and then start seeing it referenced everywhere for the rest of my life now.
>>
>>55252972
the little brother from full metal alchemist
>>
>>55251992
souledge?
>>
>>55251620
the truth is anger
>>
>>55264333
try thinking of enchantments gone horribly right. like a stoneskin charm which overexposure turns into grayscale.
>>
>>55250397
the sword has to be worth using, but in a way that makes you question if you *really* need it right now because of the pricetag.

as for what that curse is...I'd like to ask "why would somebody make this"

so unless you've found it in some mad asshole wizard's "playful" murder dungeon(so most dnd games) the curse shouldn't even be intentional, either a flaw or an eye of the beholder thing. other times as a natural consequence of what the enchantment is.

for example an overly ambitious novice enchanter an improperly made item where the flaming sword's flames aren't as under control as you'd like, or a poorly thought out overamped sharpness spell makes it more unsheatheable lightsaber than usable tool

for example of "working as intended": the spear that always kills what it is thrown at(and therefore cannot be used to fight nonlethally), a sword that cannot be dropped or sheathed without taking a life.

and then theres the kind where "curse" and "holy/culturally significant relic" are subjective, such as a wargod cult's "burn time off your life in exchange for great power right now" thing that would /normally/ come with clear instructions and be used only in the most dire time of need...if some asshole hadn't stolen it.

or maybe the enchanter wanted to hedge against certain behaviors or provide ironic punishment such as a sword that abandons the wielder if he acts against the state or twists in his hand(force a critical fumble to strike the wielder) if turned against a child, going blunt when used against innocents etc.
>>
>>55272079
I forgot the "sword that can destroy anything" or something like a weapon that strikes at the soul along with the body. technically thats a badass enchantment not a curse, but in the right hands it'd almost never get used as its consequences must be very carefully considered.
>>
>>55267454
That's a decent rewrite.
>>
>>55250397
>really powerful sword.
>the loved ones of whoever you kill are immediately aware they have been slain and know it was you who did it and where.
Would your character use it?
>>
>>55251030
dont suppose you ever tried to stab someone with a sword that wrapped around itself whenever used?
>>
>>55274845
>Would your character use it?
YES
>kill well-loved tard-wranglers
>get to fight a horde of furious mongoloids
>slice the potatoes with the magical sword, the relatives will be relieved knowing the heavily retarded progeny died and won't seek revenge
>>
>>55250397
>A sword that can break the mightiest armors and shields but will never cut a living thing (including plants)
>>
>>55250397
>a sword that is invisible but the hilt is always sweaty or slippery
>>
>>55250397
>"The Sell-Sword" a mighty blade that takes it's cut of the loot when it makes a killing blow but will leave you defenseless if you cant pay it's tithes.
>>
>>55251248
Isn't the second curse just the legend of the Muramasa?
>>
>>55277189
yep, that's why it's cliche
>>
>>55260139
>it's actually a sword-shaped leech, with the blade being sort of "shell"
>the hilt is the mouth and it latches onto your hand when you grab it
>spilling someone else's blood distracts it long enough to make it let go of you
Thread posts: 246
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.