[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one play an evil character (a violent brute) without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

How does one play an evil character (a violent brute) without beig obnoxious to the rest of the team? Nome of them are zealous protectors of righteousness, but are just generally well meaning. I'd have some idea om how to it, if the character was scheeming and intelligent, but I am afraid I might derail everything too much as an evil barbarian.
>>
Don't be mean to your fellow adventurers, in fact be extra gracious and helpful to them and do evil acts that directly benefit and help them and harm their hated enemies.
>>
File: Alignments are dumb.png (43KB, 480x460px) Image search: [Google]
Alignments are dumb.png
43KB, 480x460px
>>55250032
It's 2017, almost 2018, stop using alignments. Alignments are shit.

{spoiler]Alignments aren't your problem anyway. Having a shit character with no personality is.
>>
>>55250069

We are not using the alignment system, I just want to play an evil character, as I always play a good two-shoes characters who end up being the moral compass of the team. I want to try something else and I want to know the usual mistakes of playing an evil character.
>>
File: 1473890205596.jpg (452KB, 666x812px) Image search: [Google]
1473890205596.jpg
452KB, 666x812px
>>55250032
Don't be malevolent towards the weak and innocent, just indifferent and occasionally scornful. Casually point out that helping the farmers with their Goblin problem only breeds weakness and dependence, and when you do go along with it grumble a bit about not getting paid enough.
Always be the first to suggest the most ruthless course of action. Have little regard for the concept of "collateral damage" when hatching a plan. Look for opportunities to loot and pillage along the way. Never feel bound by the promises of others.
*DON'T* freak out at the party when they don't go along with your evil plans. If you want to sell the captive princess to her rivals while the rest of the team wants to rescue her, just groan about them being soft hearted fools and then go along with the rescue anyway. If you really have to do something against their wishes, choose it carefully. Try to avoid anything that would require another protagonist to fight with you. Think about being ruthless and expedient over pointlessly cruel.
It's okay to occasionally needle or mock your do-gooder companions, but remember that he hangs out with them for a reason. He should see them as misguided but worthy allies, rather than objects of outright scorn.
And remember, evil characters generally still have principles. Darth Vader wants to bring order to the Galaxy. The Joker thinks he's showing the world the Truth. Sauron genuinely thinks that he has both the right and the duty to control the world.
Since you're playing a Barbarian, he's probably basically a "Viking" stereotype, so he likely believes that might makes right, cunning and treachery are as important as brute force, fair fights are for morons, but that his word is his absolute bond.
>>
>>55250069
Just press ctrl+s for spoilers next time, you mongoloid. Not that I disagree with you.
>>
File: Astonished.jpg (131KB, 600x502px) Image search: [Google]
Astonished.jpg
131KB, 600x502px
>>55250069
No one is even talking about alignments.
>>
>>55250032
The most eveil chcaracter I have had the honour to DM was an evil motherfucker that coused the ghoulification of whole villages.

But he was generally the "nice guy" he played his part, was the doctor, and so on and so on. No one in the group suspected him.

But he was more of the scheming kind of evil.

I would say that you should still have some kind of honourcode. Being evil doesn't mean you don't like your fellow party members. So for example if one of them is thretend step in!
But after the battle is won start some sick shit like taking the scalps of still living/dying enemies. Kill innocents if they stand in the way of fullfilling your (maybe even good) goal.

the trick would be that to give your fellow players something to think about "He is a brutal savage that can kill a child and even enjoy it ...but he saved my life by caring me while I was wounded through that mountain pass."
>>
>>55250032
>evil barbarian
You're a Norman raider. You sail far in wide with your jarl or thane and brothers in arms, looking for wealth and glory. You won't hesitate to pillage villages or temples (Christian ones), you'll also probably take slaves and rape a few good-looking women (optional; there are laws against it in your own country, so you might want to abide them; also, doesn't make people at the table uncomfortable), but you won't necessarily want to betray or do any harm to your fellow countrymen or your close family and friends. In fact, when you're done raiding you want to have enough wealth to have a farm where you can stay with your wife and kids. Perhaps you got stranded after a raid, and now you're in an alien land, and there's no hird to back you up. You'll still want to return home rich and famous, perhaps bringing along a few slaves and having fun in the process, but you're going to be cautious about it. You don't want local authorities to hang you or recognize you as an outlaw, so you might as well join a group of mercenaries who do almost what you do for a living. Perhaps in your journeys you'll learn to appreciate their way of life and realize that wherever you go the people are the same, they want to live a happy life and raise their kids in peace. Perhaps you won't care one bit about their feelings and aspirations and use them as means to an end to return to your clan in glory.
>>
>>55250032
It really depends on the campaign.
I played as a chaotic evil wereshark character who was constantly thirsting for blood in a pirates campaign. He was the only evil character in the party (everyone else being various mixes of neutral, good, and chaotic), but because we were constantly raiding and pillaging, there was a sustained influx of things he could kill to sustain his bloodthirst. He played along with the rest of the party because he knew that the captain would supply him with plenty of bodies to maim.

Basically, you need to give your character motivations that will still benefit the party and makes sense for him to work with them. Strangely, in my experience it's been much easier to work in a character that's chaotic evil than neutral evil, and especially lawful evil, since chaotic characters are usually more about the day-to-day indulgences and are less likely to craft plots to undermine the party as long as the party is keeping them happy.
>>
>>55250032
Firstly with the consent of the table and group working out prior to play details of how high going on a baby killing scale would be appropriate.
Secondly with a dramatic irony and out of character acknowledgment of almighty ebilness.
>>
Another option.
You are a heir of the chief of a mountain barbarians, tribal people forged into ruthless warriors by their inhospitable homeland. One of his many sons, in fact. You didn't enjoy a life of luxury when you were a child, as the weak didn't live long in a frozen wasteland, and you always had to compete with your numerous brothers for your parents' attention. You trained to fight and hunt since you were a little boy, and grew up into a formidable young man. The clan traditions are ruthless though. You have to go into the wilderness and return with a head of a tundra monster to be recognized as an adult. Your clans' ancestor is said to be the Great Marauder, who ravaged the southern lands ages ago, and your people believe that only the mighty deserve to live. Perhaps you weren't capable to challenge the monster alone, or were waylaid by one of your brothers who wanted to become the next chief, but you had to flee to the south into the civilized lands. The southern people are weak and cowardly compared to your tribe, and you quickly found enough work as an enforcer, gaining a lot of notoriety in that field. You were careful and didn't outright attack the first person who displeased you (you respect your tribe's traditions, even in the lands of these savages), but you had enough opportunities to take revenge on those who would consider themselves better than you, and you did enjoy the slaughter. Although you're a brutal warrior who won't hesitate to take a person's life, you still have respect for those stronger and wiser than you.The more people you kill, the closer you are to your great ancestor, and one day you will return to your tribe having slain the great mother of the tundra monsters. Then you will unite the tribes and conquer the lands of the south, as you learned of their weakness firsthand. Until that day you're happy to travel with anyone who would provide you with enough challenge and wealth to continue your mission.
>>
>>55250032
>>55250134
Just make sure your interests align with the interests of the group. As long as their success is your success, things should go smoothly.
>>
In my gaming years I noticed that there's a lot of people who think that for some reason an evil characters can't work with others well. Perhaps they think all evil characters should act like orcs with 6 INT have you tried not playing DnD. Thing is, most humanoid societies are lawful, and to do evil acts in lawful societies, you pretty much HAVE to work with others. Most crimes need accomplices, and even stupid 6 INT orcs need to bother other orcs to organize raids. Unless you're a giant red dragon you have to conceal your activities from authorities. An evil character fits right in with almost any party, he just needs to stop doing what a party would disapprove of. The easiest way to do it is to give a character a motivation that requires financial investment. Most adventurers are mercenaries anyway, and nobody besides the paladin who no one likes anyway would disagree that making more money is a good thing. Then let's look at an example of an evil character.

I kinda like this guy >>55250480. He's evil, he has an evil goal that he wants to accomplish, but he also has a long-term strategy. Specifically, he's probably not going to do any openly evil acts in front of the party. He also has money included into his motivation (needs a bigger axe for that monster). Let's look at a specific example of a likely situation that would occur in a DnD game. The paladin (the retarded 3.5 paladin that can detect objective evil, yeah) sees the barbarian cutting off a head of a bandit he just killed. He says it's barbaric (duh), and that the bandit needs a proper burial. The barbarian says that the person he killed was an outlaw who he engaged in a single combat and defeated, so by his tribe's traditions he gets to keep his skull, and his body needs to be burned. He calls paladin's traditions barbaric because they allow evil spirits to raise the bodies of the dead by not burning the bodies. They bicker for a while and paladin fucks off.
>>
>>55250995
Cont.
The barbarian might even appreciate the paladin for what he's trying to do, perhaps painting him as a strong shepherd among the weak sheeps. Perhaps he will respect the party druid for being wise and in-touch with spirit of the land. Perhaps he'll like how deadly a party rogue with a nice ass could be in combat. He won't betray the party in any way, but he will always have his eyes on his mission. Even if he hates the party he'll know better than to oppose them openly, as he saw their strength in battle. It also won't stop him from suggesting "evil" actions (as befitting the child of clan that only values strength) in most situations, even if he won't necessarily perform them.
>>
>>55250032
So long as the character has goals that make sense, a believable motivation for those goals, and some positive personality traits you should be fine
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.