[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to set up a game for absolute beginners, /tg/. Is dungeon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: dungeon-world.png (172KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon-world.png
172KB, 500x211px
Trying to set up a game for absolute beginners, /tg/. Is dungeon world good for that purpose? Haven't had time to truly sit to read it. MIght go with D&D 5e, but I'd like some options.

As a rule of thumb, anything that's simple (but not braindead), and generally plays with familiar concepts from media and videogames is welcome.
>>
Go with microlite20. The 5e version, whatever that one is called. Very simple, but still DnD dungeon crawl style game.
>>
File: M20 Fifth v0.7.pdf (833KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
M20 Fifth v0.7.pdf
833KB, 1x1px
>>55243112
Here you go. M20 fifth. DnD 5e, but lite enough to just get a taste.
>>
>>55243112
>>55243184
Huh, didn't know this existed. I'll definitely keep it around as an option, thanks anon!
>>
>>55243301
I've never used it for newbies, only gone straight to DnD, but it's a good option if you decide to use it.
>>
>>55243076
DW is kinda crap. Use Apocalypse World: Fallen Empires instead. The 2e rulebook is currently available in a Bundle of Holding.

Other than that, Ryuutama is an RPG designed to be a tutorial for players and GMs alike and goes for a more traditional "adventure" structure than AW's sandbox.
>>
>>55243076

It's excellent for that purpose, regardless of what the local fa/tg/uys will tell you.
>>
>>55243076
If you don't mind a lot of people dying, World of Dungeons is an OSR take with a lot less crunch and typical PbtA conflict resolution.

Just be aware that staring with only 1 hit die was apparently the coolest thing ever back in the early 80s. Either be gentle with the starting creatures, give the PCs hirelings, or run a funnel scenario.
>>
>>55246710

WoD is also just the barest sketch of a system. You basically have to finish it out yourself.
>>
>>55246782
True. Streets of Marienburg along with WFRP 2nd edition?

Fuck it, OP. Just run DW or AW: Fallen Empires, depending if you like Faerun or Dark Sun more.
>>
>>55243076

Yes, but so are most PBTA with a "commonly known" implied setting. You could do a Mad Max one with AW itself, for example, or LOTR with Fellowship
>>
>>55243076
Powered by the Apocalypse stuff might be the best systems to use for "let's roleplay a very specific type of media." Whoever runs the game has a lot of responsibility to read the seemingly massive books while he players can get away with their play books and basic moves. Might be the best place to start with a brand new and eager GM though.

If mechanics are what interest you, maybe start with a board game with a campaign. You get the tabletop games out within a walled garden and it would let you act out and roleplay in a limited capacity until someone gets the idea to make a true campaign.
>>
>>55243076
Use DW, it's what everyone imagines DnD to be anyhow; e.g. highly improv, you say what you do, relies on a creative DM free-flowing, etc.
>>
>>55243076
Sure.

And you will ruin them forever as players.
>>
>>55248755

>autism speaks
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.