[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General Stop putting an edition tagline edition Which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 45

File: GURPSGeneral.pdf (350KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPSGeneral.pdf
350KB, 1x1px
GURPS General

Stop putting an edition tagline edition

Which is better: capping skills/attributes or having lower point totals?
>>
>>55242519
Lower totals works for me.
Gamers gonna game, and giving them a cap tends to invoke the salt. However, having a lower total to start with at least encourages spendthriftiness
>>
File: 31085_131702600188486_5793646_n.jpg (37KB, 643x427px) Image search: [Google]
31085_131702600188486_5793646_n.jpg
37KB, 643x427px
>>55242519

Point limits are always there, in general if I want to enforce enough balancing that I'd invoke caps it's easier to just make them take templates.
>>
>>55242519
Can someone explain to me how weapon breaking works? I feel like the rules for what you can and can't parry without your shit getting wrecked are confusing.
>>
>>55238348

Nice. If you are still around I'd like to hear more about what characters you had and who died trying to storm the old mine.
>>
Is it possible to design new Advantages, Disadvantages, and Skills? If so how is it done?
>>
File: 3I7zhnGqeMw.jpg (104KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
3I7zhnGqeMw.jpg
104KB, 800x800px
>>55245196
It's possible, but rarely needed. There's a shocking amount of depth to existing material.

That said, if you need to create a new Advantage, Disadvantage or Skill you start by examining the current ones, finding a strong concept they don't cover, then develop fair mechanics that work within the rules.

After that, compare it to current advantages, disadvantage and skills the give it a fair price.
>>
>>55245196
Skills are the easiest, you just choose a difficulty and a controlling attribute.
Advantages can be easy or not (and disadvantages almost work the same in that regard,) it depends on what you want. If it is similar to something that already exists, you just throw enhancements and limitations on it until it works. If you need to make something up from whole cloth though, it's basically guessing based on the value of everything that already exists.

Chances are though that you are going to be close enough to do anything out of the box with the catalog of advantages, disadvantages, enhancements, and limitations that already exists... unless you are looking to make something at the metagame or narrative level.

Do you have an example of what you are trying to make?
>>
>>55245440
Not yet. I'm new and curious is all.
>>
File: 1014ef.jpg (46KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1014ef.jpg
46KB, 500x625px
>>55245464
When in doubt, throw questions up in here and we can give you some direction then :)

What's your first game about then?
>>
>>55245513
Thanks. I'll be sure to drop in with whatever questions I get as I'm sure they will come.

As for a campaign a few that come to mind are Martial Arts, Pulp, Samurai, and Western.
>>
I need to design an NPC that meets the following criteria, use as many points as you deem reasonablet:
>fucking seven feet tall
>good at stealth, small arms, explosives, and swimming
>has above average strength and dexterity, but is not particularly bright and looks like an uglier Ryan Gosling
>has to, under any and all circumstances, obey the orders of his 'employer' (whoever holds his contract)
>also speaks with the same mannerisms as Gosling's character in Drive
>completely neutral on moral angles and the like
>doesn't sleep

He is, in essence, the autistic terminator dressed like the road warrior. Even has the shotgun.
>>
>>55244837
There are two ways to break a weapon barring the obvious critical failure result: through parrying a heavier weapon, and through having your weapon deliberately attacked.

The former is pretty straight forward, but is hard to grasp at first unless you have a good example, which I will provide:

As written, it states that a weapon has a chance of breaking if used to parry an object three times its weight. So a standard broadsword having a weight of 3 lbs will have a 2 in 6 (1 or 2 on 1d6) chance to break if used to parry a weapon weighing 9 lbs or more. If the broadsword were to parry a poleaxe (p. 68 in Low-Tech) weighing 10 pounds, the broadsword-using-player would roll 1d6 and if his result was 1 or 2, his broadsword breaks. A GM might require that the player roll 1d6 and refer to the "Swords" section of "Broken Weapons" on p. 485 of the Basic Set for the exact outcome.

Continuing the example: you "add +1 to these odds per whole-numbered multiple past 3," so parrying a weapon 4 times the weight of your own means it has a 3 in 6 chance of breaking (a roll of 1, 2, or 3 on 1d6). 5 times the weight and you'll have a 4 in 6 chance. If you attempt to parry something and you end up with a 6 in 6 chance, your weapon automatically breaks and your parry was useless.

A cheap weapon adds a flat +2 to these odds, while fine and very fine are -1 and -2 respectively.

(continued...)
>>
>>55244837
>>55245736

(cont.)

The latter option of breaking a weapon, where it is deliberately attacked, is simple: a weapon is attacked, damage is rolled, DR is subtracted, and the remainder comes off of the weapon's HP. Refer to "Damage to Objects" on pp. 483-485 of the Basic Set for details, but I'll put some of the information here:

When the weapon is reduced to 0 HP, roll against its HT (usually 12 for homogeneous objects) whenever it is put under stress (i.e. used). If it fails it is considered disabled and the user must roll 1d6 and refer to the appropriate result from "Broken Weapons" p. 485 of the Basic Set.

If the weapon is reduced to -1xHP, roll against its HT and if it fails it "dies," more appropriately: useless. You're basically rolling for its "death" as per "General Injury: Lost Hit Points" on p. 419 of the Basic Set. Do not roll for a result from the "Broken Weapons" section, the weapon is useless.

If the weapon is reduced to -5xHP it is automatically broken. Same as above.

That's it. I hope this helped you, Anon.

>>55245702
Narrow down how much information you really need. If you are just going to throw him away, or have him as a background character, you only need to consider his most important stats (for example: ST 16, DX 12, IQ 11, HT 12) and skill levels (a 15 in stealth, a 18 in pistols and explosives, 13 in everything else), and have everything else as filler information.

If you plan on having the players recruit him as an Ally or something, giving him a full suite of traits is appropriate, but even then you can ballpark the point value since the price of an Ally is based on percentages and not exact values.
>>
>>55245736
>>55245798
Thanks. It's odd that there are two different sets of rules. Are fine/very fine weapons any higher DR and HP, or do they only get a bonus on the special rolls for parrying?
>>
>>55246009
>2 different sets of rules
Anon didn't mention 2 different sets. He mentioned 2 rules, each for very different circumstances. There'll never be a conflict between them.

If you want a different rules, see Pyramid 3/87: Low Tech III. It has an article called "The Broken Blade." Quote:
>Weapons in GURPS are nigh eternal, breaking only in extreme circumstances: critical failure, parrying an ogre's club, and so on. Yet historically, The Broken Blade was the risk that prompted knights to carry backup weapons and armies to travel with armorers. Douglas Cole's new rules for robustness, breakage, and dulled edges add not only realism but also risk, excitement, and a reason to keep a knife in your boot.
>>
File: This Guy.pdf (36KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
This Guy.pdf
36KB, 1x1px
>>55245702

Not that expensive. He's not exactly a complicated creature.
>>
>>55245697
Read Action for starters. Adding in extra books and details hurts more than it helps for new groups that may still be struggling with the basics. Action focuses on simplified, pulpy adventure, and its templates, rules tweaks, and GMing advice makes it great for newbies. I know there's one Pyramid article that covers using Action in an Wild West setting, and Action 3 covers martial arts and samurai explicitly.
>>
>>55246571
>Literally naked
Not even a Dr 2 coat?
>>
File: nakedarnold-141551.png (437KB, 655x380px) Image search: [Google]
nakedarnold-141551.png
437KB, 655x380px
>>55246740
>Your clothes.

>Give them to me.
>>
File: 1504552722651.jpg (30KB, 600x408px) Image search: [Google]
1504552722651.jpg
30KB, 600x408px
>>55246571
Padre bless
>>
>>55246009
fine/very fine weapons by default do not have more DR, and HP is based on weapon weight. You can vary this for exceptional materials, of course.
>>
So a question regarding the Invisiblity Advantage. Trying to stat up a creature. Basically what I want to do is have a form of invisibility that makes the target invisible to normal vision and unable to be photographed. But the target will still cast a shadow while stealthed. (visible shadow; -10%) And also they can still have their heat seen.

When selecting what type of vision I want to be invisible too do I choose something like (ordinary Vision) or do I pick the whole (Electromagnetic vision) If I get up either of these would also have to pick up the 'Affects machines' modifier to reflect not being able to be photographed? Wouldn't being invisible to ordinary eyes also make me invisible to cameras?
>>
>>55248877
Ordinary vision would fit fine. Cameras work similarly enough to the human eye that it makes sense.

Remember, if you're designing a monster that the players will never be, or never be allies with, you can skip giving it detailed stats and just say its invisible but it casts a shadow. The character points are there for proper characters, not simple monsters.
>>
>>55248968
>character points are there for proper characters, not simple monsters
That being said, it is useful as fuck to do these stat blocks as exercises for your eyeballing skill.

Until you realize the rule of 11, it's sometimes necessary to stat out 50 point mooks
>>
>>55248993
Rule of 11? Which book is that in, I don't remember coming across it.
>>
>>55248993
I suppose. But I'm with >>55249002. What's the rule of 11?
>>
>>55248968
>Ordinary vision would fit fine. Cameras work similarly enough to the human eye that it makes sense
That's what I thought, thanks

>>55248993
>hat being said, it is useful as fuck to do these stat blocks as exercises for your eyeballing skill.
That's partly why I'm bothering with this. This is going to be part of my first session. I am working out on some templates for the players for occupations, and I'm also stating out this one creature (and it's variants) so I can better understand how these components work numerically.
>>
>>55242729
Who is Asian Noir Secretary and why is she GURPS?

>>55248877
Normal invisibility with a visible shadow and effects machines works fine for what you need. It can still be seen on non-visible light like IR.
>>
But seriously, what is this Rule of 11?
>>
How stupid is to have a small sized martial artist/unarmed fighter?

Also how does small animal "grappling" such asa pitbull bite or similar clenching works?
>>
>>55250127

It depends if the small sized martial artist is strong and dexterous.

GURPS Martial Arts has rules for "teeth grappling".
>>
>>55250127
>>55250193
Being SM -1 is pretty awesome. It's a fair number of bonuses and not much of down sides as long as you've got decent ST.

Doggos mostly get "Born Biter" as a racial trait when using the Teeth rules in MA. This lets them count as SM +1 for grappling with their teeth. This means they can use their teeth to grab as if using two hands anyone SM 0 or smaller. When grappling they can worry for more damage and hang on or use grappling to make a take down attack and pull someone down.

So the Dog rolls Brawling or DX to hit with a bite attack, then can choose to hold on and Grab automatically with teeth. When grappling with teeth they can Worry to cause bite damage automatically (no defense or attack roll) as an attack action, or perform grapple actions like break neck, wrench limb, take down or others.

I have a SM +1 PC with Fangs and ST 18. Things can get pretty brutal.
>>
>>55250280
Do you use the rules for smaller/larger equipment? I'm tempted to hand wave it away for +-1 SM, but I don't know if that's imbalanced or not.
>>
>>55251149
They visually bigger and smaller then human sized. If tools maybe can be used with replaceable grips, but clothes and armor are not, especially if tailored to wearer.
Also
>weight
>cost
>volume
>>
How doyou get higher resistance to mind altering abilities, such as mindcontrol, etc?
Just more will?
>>
>>55251604
Resistant advantage, hello
>>
>>55251149
For humans with giantism or dwarfism it's hard to say that the cost are right. A 7' tall human is very large but doesn't have the same surface area as a warhorse that weighs more then a ton and clothes sized for children aren't that much less expensive then clothes for adults, especially in conditions where the labor to assemble the garment represents more of the cost then the materials.

I find a 25% change to be fair for giantism and dwarfism characters. This makes the armor for a 7' tall man heavier then the armor for a 6'4" man, but not 220% heavier. Likewise, a 4'8" girl pays 75% and has clothes that weigh 75% that of a 5'1" girl, rather then 50%.

Ignoring cost multipliers would give a boost to SM +1 people, a pretty big one really, as typically SM +1 doesn't double Basic Lift, making armor proportionally much heavier. (If you want a heavily armored warrior you are better off going for a shorter man with 10% less ST).
>>
File: 1407191024645.gif (171KB, 583x945px) Image search: [Google]
1407191024645.gif
171KB, 583x945px
>>55251604
>>55251732

Mind Shield (Advantage, page 70 basic set)
Adds to Will/IQ rolls to resist any mind effecting stuff. Barely cheaper then Will.

Unfazeable (Advantage, page 95 basic set)
Makes you immune to some effects of mind control, rather then mind control itself. They can't scare or surprise you.

Resistant. (Advantage, page 81 basic set)
A valid option in many games, though Mind Control might cost 15 or 30 points for immunity.

Mental Strength (Skill, page 209 basic set)
You can roll this instead of Will to fight off many mind altering abilities

Mind Block (Skill, page 210 basic set.)
Only prevents people from listing in on your brain, it can't help vs mind control.
>>
>>55251775
>For humans with giantism or dwarfism it's hard to say that the cost are right. A 7' tall human is very large but doesn't have the same surface area as a warhorse that weighs more then a ton and clothes sized for children aren't that much less expensive then clothes for adults, especially in conditions where the labor to assemble the garment represents more of the cost then the materials.
>I find a 25% change to be fair for giantism and dwarfism characters. This makes the armor for a 7' tall man heavier then the armor for a 6'4" man, but not 220% heavier. Likewise, a 4'8" girl pays 75% and has clothes that weigh 75% that of a 5'1" girl, rather then 50%.

25% sounds reasonable, but I might still handwave it away anyway. In my group I have a half orc with Gigantism, and a gnome. I don't particularly want to add too much extra book keeping for them / me
>>
>>55252032
I advise against handwaving it away totally. SM increase is a 0-point feature; the discount to ST and bonus to grapple/Intimidation is balanced by attack bonuses and increased armor costs. Without that weight/cost increase, high-SM characters with discounted high ST will be able to tote around more armor while being less encumbered, more than nullifying the bonus others get to attack them.

If you want to do away with the only real downside of positive SM, consider making it an Advantage that costs points. 5/level may work; at that point, an SM+1 character with discounted ST 15 has a net point change of 0.

I honestly don't see any extra bookkeeping being required, though. You multiply cost/weight exactly once when buying the gear, then you spend the cash and record the weight just like any other piece of equipment. This shouldn't be something they have to do more than half-a-dozen times throughout an entire campaign.
>>
>>55252329

That is a very good point. Colour me convinced.
>>
File: 1420530817363.jpg (22KB, 420x395px) Image search: [Google]
1420530817363.jpg
22KB, 420x395px
>>55252329
Size is a zero point racial feature, but it's set by race.

Giantism is a zero point feature that gives you +1 SM and +1 Basic Move, representing an unusually large member of a race. I'd say that it's balanced pretty well.

Dwarfism gives 5 points as a disadvantage and gives -1 SM and -1 Basic Move. Honestly I think this should be more like a 0 point feature, given that -1 SM is quite good for a lot of reasons (cheap, light armor, to hit penalty, ect).

I agree with your points, I'd keep some kind of extra cost/weight modifier to the armor and other support gear so that those traits and disadvantages stay important.
>>
>>55249002
>>55249045
>>55249685
Rule of 11
>If you don't know what it is, roll against 11
When you've got ninjas, mooks, grunts, pirates or zombies...whatever they are, they're not exceptional at what they do, so roll against an 11 for them.

If they're good at it, 13
Great? 15
Best at what they do? 17
>>
>>55253457
Thanks!
>>
bumps
>>
>>55253457
I use this and BAD, and together they handle 90% of the encounters I write up.
>>
>>55259687
BAD?
>>
File: tumblr_ov6f2pyWts1sjth9do1_1280.jpg (87KB, 730x1095px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ov6f2pyWts1sjth9do1_1280.jpg
87KB, 730x1095px
I've heard that being outnumbered in GURPS is pretty rough but does anyone have experience with throwing 2 to 1 or worse odds at player characters in GURPS? I'm planning a big climatic fight and I want to be aware of any pitfalls.
>>
>>55259763
Basic Abstract Difficulty, Action2 page 4
>>
>>55259805
It really depends on how strong the enemies are in comparison to your PCs.
>>
>>55259805

Usually a bunch of weaker NPC's aren't too much of a threat if your PC's have decent speed. Really depends on how tough you make them though and if the PC's have any AOE weapons with them.
>>
File: 1456205048158.jpg (119KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1456205048158.jpg
119KB, 480x640px
>>55259805
Three things.

1. Higher enemy Speed means The Enemy Will Win. High Speed Always Wins. Make them slow as fuck.

2. Penetration. Does the team have lots of armor? Don't go hog wild on the armor-chink and hit location attempts on bare spots. Don't go wild with Armor Divisors.

3. Do you used advanced rules? Facing ALONE turns *every single fight* into a stupendously fucking deadly whack-a-mole if you get mobbed. Toss stuff like facing and carefully consider your choice of defense rule options.

How do my players survive? They break those rules! They stay light, have extreme Speed, abuse the fuck out of opening rounds and sneak shots, go for the weakest parts without a second's hesitation, and seek to end the fight within the first three seconds it began.
>>
>>55259805
I dare you
DARE YOU
to throw a literal bucket full of Tucker kobolds at them

Sm-2 shortspears X 15, targeting back facing hit locations, all out, telegraphed, with fucking LUCK
>>
>>55261486

Not really effective in GURPS. SM-2 means that they are about as strong as a toddler (ST 5) and can be disabled with even a casual blow from an adult human.

1d-3 imp damage is stopped by pretty much any armor, and the spear is reach 1 (barely).

Two men back-to-back deny any shot at the back faceing. One of the monsters can get into each Side hit locations, but each man shares those so out of 8 enemies that can surround them at once 2 get a shot at a Side hex, everyone else is trying to hit a front hex.

So.. Yeah, this would be pointless.

>>55260152
>>55260104

Good points. It's all about threat management, but GURPS facing rules are pretty generous with only attacks coming from directly behind denying defense.
>>
Hey, is the Anon looking for GURPS OGRE still hanging around?

Turns out I have it on an old external. I'll try and throw it on the MEGA soon.
>>
File: 1466986813320.jpg (124KB, 754x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1466986813320.jpg
124KB, 754x1200px
How in God's name is it so hard to find a token for a mob of peasants for roll20?
>>
>>55263342
Oh shit, not him but I'd love that.
>>
>>55263629
I kind of like Grae Hunter tokens. The art style isn't for everyone but if you like it well enough then there are several good packs that offer a bunch of human types.

Do you mean like, a single token to represent several people? That would be harder.
>>
File: 1FfZQHH.jpg (72KB, 858x941px) Image search: [Google]
1FfZQHH.jpg
72KB, 858x941px
Which magic system would be best for a setting where "magic" is actually the use of femtobots to manipulate the molecular structure of the environment?
>>
>>55265077
How are the machines controlled or directed? Is it something fast (simple mental/vocal command) or slow ("coding" the machines for each task)? Is using the machines a learned skill or an inborn ability? Are the machines self-powered, external-battery-powered, or user-powered?

Also, consider how much depth you're looking for. Some groups really really like a deep magic system with tons of moving parts while others want something that's lite on mechanics.
>>
>>55265203
The machines are controlled via mental commands that require extensive coding beforehand. Using the machines is an inborn ability, as the capacity to control them is installed in the womb. The machines are self-powered.
And my group is looking for a lot of depth, as well as the ability to build their own spells.
>>
>>55265222
It sounds like Ritual Path Magic is right up your alley. If you ban Ritual Adept, RPM rituals are lengthy affairs that require time, prepared space, and more, and you can keep rituals "hanging" to trigger them later. They also don't cost the caster any FP; the rituals power themselves. Require Unusual Background [15] to represent natal installation. Between nine-ish path skills, six or so words, and a plethora of modifiers, it's a VERY robust system.
>>
>>55265077
RPM
Powers
Mix 'em
>>
File: Bjvc3gK.jpg (100KB, 1080x1341px) Image search: [Google]
Bjvc3gK.jpg
100KB, 1080x1341px
>>55260152
>>55259835

Thanks! They are ST 10/ DX 10/ HT 10 human(ish) enemies with either sharp claws, long knives or clubs.

The player characters are 150 point / -40 disadvantage TL 3.

They have ST 13, ST 11, ST 9 and ST 12. Torso DR is 1 to 4.

Can someone with a staff attack over/past an ally in front of them to hit someone at reach 2?
>>
>>55266451
>attack over/past an ally
Yes, iirc without penalty. Accidentally hit an ally possible if you miss enemy while he is in close combat with your ally, or if you miss with shooting and have ally on line of fire or in close combat with target.
>>
File: 1380076928060.jpg (278KB, 500x683px) Image search: [Google]
1380076928060.jpg
278KB, 500x683px
>>55266521

It's in a big barn so that should make things easier.

That makes this a lot easier. Two people can fill the doorway and one person behind them with a staff should be pretty hard to beat. There is a window but climbing though it should take 2 seconds unless I am wrong and the the other person inside should have no trouble beating down people climbing though.
>>
>>55267601
>doorway
Yeah, one time I've got 3 frags with one shot from Elephant Rifle. Overpenetration is a thing.
And in gurps you can freely step thru enemy occupied hex, with committed attack.
>>
Introducing a bunch of new players; How do you normally do magic? Hasn't normally come up in earlier campaigns. Do you use homebrew or do you use the magic book?
>>
>>55267721
I'm not a fan of the basic magic system and usually pick one from thaumatology
>>
>>55267721

Thaumatology lets you make your own magic. I'd always recommend people use it, since GURPS's standard magic is kinda broken.
>>
>>55267775
>>55267751
Alright, thanks
>>
>>55267715
Stepping into someone's hex means you are in close combat. Hope you have a reach C weapon.

And an elephant gun won't be much use at TL 3.
>>
>>55267715
>what is evasion
>>
What books could I use for an Wuxia campaign? Only thing I settled on so far is Low Tech, due to me wanting to have it in some sort of ancient Warring States period.
>>
>>55269022
Martial Arts, maybe Powers
>>
>>55269022
I'm pretty sure theres a GURPS China (maybe from 3E).
>>
File: 1504352241466.png (453KB, 1200x999px) Image search: [Google]
1504352241466.png
453KB, 1200x999px
How would you stat the damage of high-velocity golf balls being hit at a target?

I'm looking at making a tribal civilization on an abandoned golf course and I thought that would make for an interesting cultural weapon, that and the club itself, probably decorated ceremoniallu. Think I'll give them sheep too, given It's a grassy course, maybe horses... I'm guessing Low-Tech is good for what I'm aiming at?
>>
>>55270449
can't you use the collision rules in the basic set?
>>
>>55270449
Probably approximately the same a thrown stone or maybe launched from a slingshot.
>>
>>55270449
>damage of high-velocity golf balls being hit at a target?
from d-3 cr to 5d*2 pi++

>Low-Tech is good for what I'm aiming at?
I guess LT is good
>>
>>55242519
>skill caps or lower point totals
Lower point totals. Inexperienced players may need a guiding hand, but anybody with an understanding of probability or the game in general will understand the practical limitations and the shrinking return on investment. There is a natural incentive to spread character points around new skills, for how cheap they are and how much better they are than defaulting skills. If one has the choice between being able to eat one more point of penalty, or increase their chance of success in some secondary or background skill by a whopping 12% or more, I hope they're smart enough to make a more generally competent character.

There are other options and rules which can supplement this decision. Within reason, the GM can always decline a character, or disallow skill improvement without training, whatever, if they deem the character to be broken or of limited utility. Unless it disrupts the vision of the character or the niche of another character, though, the GM generally shouldn't prevent growth of a skill such that they can eat penalties for breakfast. For example, unless gradual character development dictated it, I wouldn't allow a knightly character to eat penalties on spell casting or stealthy shit. However, I would let him eventually know his sword-and-board-play well enough to fight a bushel of goblins in the dark..
>>
Someone here haves the new gurps fantasy pdf?
>>
File: GURPS Uplift cover.jpg (492KB, 588x776px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Uplift cover.jpg
492KB, 588x776px
I've recently had a read though the Uplift Universe books and really liked the setting. I looked to see if it had a game and I found a 2nd Edition GURPS splatbook. I'm going to assume that nobody ever updated it because that series is niche as all hell, and I know very little about GURPS.
Does anyone know the stuff I'd need to start a game with that book or the work I'd need to do to update it myself?
>>
>>55272377
GURPS Fantasy or the standalone GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Role Playing Game?

I wasn't aware that there's a new PDF of the former, and I haven't seen any copies of the latter in the wild yet. Looks like the kickstarter backers are hanging on to their copies.
>>
>>55273522
There's a new DF splat that released today. DF Encounters: Pagoda of the Gods.
>>
>>55272486
It probably isn't too hard to update to 4e. There's a free PDF the company put out to help convert 3e characters to 4e, and it should work passably well for 2e to 4e as well. Thankfully, GURPS editions aren't all that different: a few added mechanics, a few dropped ones, and some point value retooling, but that's it. To someone like myself that grew up seeing D&D totally reinvent itself like a college freshman every edition, it's quite a change.
>>
>>55273684
It is an adventure that takes place in a Far-East inspired monastery. It is relatively random, with lots of content being spontaneously generated by tables. It includes 1 new item, 6 new monsters, and a few extra rules for a new manual type to expand on those in DF4.
>>
>>55269022
Martial Arts has a section on chambara fighting (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon-style wireplay and related actions) as well as a robust technique-creation system. However, while those techniques can be very cinematic, they hold back from being literally magic; you can backflip off a tree and decapitate eight enemy soldiers, but you can't set your sword on fire or have it kill a man at ten paces.

For that, you need Imbuements. I've expiremented with stunting Imbuements off of TBaM/WM and having them default to weapon skill, and that would certainly fit a wuxia game where magical swordplay is just the next step of mastery rather than a separate thing.

A simpler approach is to simply use Powers like >>55269105 suggested. I think there's a splat or Pyramid article that covers elemental wuxia abilities, and it uses powers as a base.
>>
>>55273777
OK then. Guess I'll have a go at bodging it into 4e at some point, since I mostly want the extra setting information and the assorted guides for making species and equipment and such.

Ta very much.
>>
I made a dark fantasy setting where very powerful magic caused a catastrophe when it was used without regulation in what amounts to a Napoleonic scale war, which caused magic to be severely restricted and regulated, with arbitrarily selected rules put in place to make magic more difficult and limited for future generations. Setting is in the early age of sail and gunpowder, and technology has somewhat advanced since the start of the dark age of magic. What would be the best system to demonstrate something like this? I kinda want spell schools but it is not necessary if you got better ideas. Hermit mages who hid away since the war still retain their old powers and so do the archmagi who are the old generation of mages, who have established schools to force this limited spell curriculum on would-be spellcasters, so I'd also need a way to demonstrate old magic and how stupidly powerful it is to this new form.

Any tips?
>>
>>55274102
Have two systems in place: Old Magic, which is powerful and flexible but also risky, and Sanctioned Magic, which only teaches people how to cast rote premade spells.

I'd have Old Magic be either Syntactic or Symbol (or even Realm) and use the Threshold system; all four of these are found in GURPS: Thaumatology. Sanctioned Magic would use the basic spell system (with additional spells from GURPS: Magic), but the number of available spells is cut down *significantly* with only a handful of archmages being trusted with the really good spells (e.g. the entire Gate college).
>>
>>55274230
ok, thanks a lot.

I forgot to mention two other forms of magic that exist so I was hoping you could help?

there is also alchemy which is basically unlocking magical potential from material components which could be mundane or otherwise, and there is magic which are actually powers granted by corruptive forces within the setting, which have a lot of ties to life/body horror. Any tips?
>>
>>55274297
So alchemy is all about enhancement? Alchemically treated steel is tougher, alchemically treated crops grow bigger/more nutritious vegetables, fire from alchemically treated wood burns longer/hotter, stuff like that? You could go with a general rules-lite system where every +/-20% to a value's parameters is a -1 to your Alchemy roll. Alchemy would need to be specialized, like Alchemy (Metal), Alchemy (Plants), etc., but the skill would stay at IQ/VH. I'm heavily ripping ideas from the first bit of Ars Metallica (Pyramid #3/68: Natural Magic).

A more gamist approach would use advantages/abilities/powers centered around (beneficial) Afflictions. You could take a note out of Sorcery as well, using a combination of Modular Abilities and alternative abilities to represent experimental and mastered alchemical processes. The focus would be on Affliction with Takes Immediate Preparation (to represent the time it takes), Trigger (to represent the cost of alchemic catalysts and solutions), and Duration (many may be permanent!).

GURPS: Horror has a neat corruption mechanic, but Thaumatology has another version that's specifically for casters being corrupted by spirits that "help" them cast spells and/or cast spells for them. You could maybe adapt it to a more flexible system like Powers/Sorcery.
>>
GURPS OGRE is up on the MEGA.

Also shit guys, it looks like we're running low on room there.
>>
>>55274538
this works well, thank you.
>>
>>55274562
I'm that anon. Thank you.
>>
So, Demiurgy from Powers - The Weird is ridiculously OP for the point cost, right?
>>
Excuse me, I'm new to the system: if an item is a tech level ahead of the setting, It's price is doubled for ever level, but is it applied in the reverse or are the prices as is? (Example: in a TL 4 world, a $30 item that is TL3 is $15)
>>
>>55276217
I think backwards the prices stay the same but you get more GURP$ on higher TLs.
>>
>>55267775
I know it's a little wonky, but how is it broken?
>>
>>55275746
Well, it's literally just an extrapolation of its base advantage and limitations/enhancements:
> Illusion (Broadcast*, +50%; Cosmic, Can heal as well as harm, +50%; Cosmic, Lingering effect, +100%; Mental, +100%; Stigmata, +100%) [125].
>* Taken from Telecommunication (p. B91).

Illusion's from Powers p.94. Mental's the one that makes it vs. Will and allows you to add Stigmata, which is the one that lets you actually affect people physically. Cosmic (lingering effect) means that it'll stick around until someone Cosmic counteracts it, and the other one just lets you heal with your stigmata thingy as well as harm.

Broadcast (from Telecommunication) adds the distance penalty to the IQ roll, obviously, as well as giving you an effectively unlimited AoE (if you can beat their Will).

While you could "stop the sun's apparent movement", that's a -10 penalty (assuming that only people on Earth notice) - so IQ-14 or Dreaming-14 + Talent vs., what, an average Will of 10?

It's powerful, but not quite as OP as I think you might think it is. It's literally just high-powered Cosmic illusions.
If you want to be overpowered with it you'll be sinking tons of points into Dreaming, so the 125 point cost is deceptive. (Although you'll also want to pump IQ, since that's what influences healing/harming.)
>>
>>55276472
Also, not everything's a QC. I think the majority of Demiurgy's abilities give viewer's a resistance roll; you could beat your roll by 20, but it won't matter agaisnt some schmoe that rolled their Will exactly.
>>
Could a kind anon link the newest trove?
>>
>>55276565
Link is in the first post. Pic isn't a pic.
>>
>>55276622
Ohhh. Thanks anon!
>>
>>55276559
>If you're alone, this is a simple success roll. If there are observers, it's resisted by their average Will.

>Hit Points lost or restored equal your margin of victory in a Quick Contest of your IQ vs. your subject's Will. You may choose to affect multiple targets at once, but then you must beat their average Will and divide HP equal to your margin of victory among them, up to a number of observers equal to your margin of victory.

>An appropriate phenomenon can be used for a Power Block that stops damage equal to your margin of victory against your attacker's Will.

So yeah, it's a resistance roll for most stuff and a QC for healing/harming. And AoE damage is a no-go generally, unless you've really pumped up IQ.
>>
>>55276784
>really pumped up IQ.
Or have talents/various other boosts to the rolls
>>
>>55276784
I think that may be a typo. The original text for Illusion and Mental both specify QCs--resistance rolls are never mentioned.
>>
>>55274562
>Also shit guys, it looks like we're running low on room there.
Looks like there's multiple copies of a lot of 3rd edition stuff. I'll have a clean out.
>>
>>55277387
Turns out most of the storage space was being used by the rubbish bin, but I've deleted a bunch of duplicate files too, freeing up a total of over 30 GB, which should keep us going for a while.
>>
RPM/Sorcery pushers should neck themselves. Magic is fine.
>>
>>55242519
I'm running a game set last year.

does anybody here have advice on how to configure google earth for making good base images for maps and figuring out scale once you have a good base image?

also does have advice for maping large spaces like train stations, parks, airports, and cathedrals, or how to break up and handle things like military bases and oil refineries?
>>
>>55277668
Thanks man.
>>
>>55277018
Do they do errata for Pyramid? That's something worth fixing if possible.
>>
File: To_war_by_Pandarice.jpg (111KB, 1200x733px) Image search: [Google]
To_war_by_Pandarice.jpg
111KB, 1200x733px
How is GURPS for mass combat?

I've been thinking of running just some practice combats with friends to get a hang on the system, with random scenarios like 1 on 1 dual, barfight, two raiding parties encounter each other and fight, and maybe like two generals and their armies fighting just to see how that works, also cowboy shootout (since the others will all be medieval melee combat)

Any other suggestions? Any good special rules to bring in or anything? I have a friend, unrelated to this group, who always shills for using last breath or whatever it's called, basically extended fatigue rules, is it a good set of rules?
>>
Unrelated to previous post.

How does Mass Combat works at low scale? Say, couple of street gangs against each other, or squad or two with a tank, or bunch of henchmen against some enemy guards? Thinking about using it to run encounters that would be too unwieldy for a regular combat.

Some other questions about it:
- Is there a list of Pyramid material about Mass Combat?
- Anything on converting real-life vehicles into MC elements? Or at least GURPS vehicles into MC elements?
- How about using it for stuff that lacks GURPS
rules, namely dogfights?
>>
File: JumanjiiJungleGun.jpg (86KB, 1014x547px) Image search: [Google]
JumanjiiJungleGun.jpg
86KB, 1014x547px
A player character in a game of mine has Guns (Pistol)/TL8 as their only firearms Skill. They are going to be operating a TL6 elephant gun (the Greener model from GURPS High-Tech to be specific) after falling into a world that can be best described as "Ray Harryhausen meets Jules Verne". Aside from the flat -2 penalty to fire a gun of another Skill and possibe TL difference penalties, what would they roll against to recognize and operate the rifle's mechanisms in a life-or-death situation? I imagine it isn't easy to hurriedly reload a weapon that is nearly a century old when you've never used anything like it before.
>>
>>55282213
IQ-based Guns.
If they have time to study it for a few minutes, I wouldn't bother, though.
>>
>>55282213
Honestly, I don't like TL penalties for guns. I think that familiarity penalties are enough for that purpose. In some extreme cases it will be covered by skill specialty differences (gonne vs musket vs rifle). Not to mention that gun TLs are wacky - US army is using TL6 HMG and TL7 rifle right now, for example.
>>
File: 8-bore-rifle.jpg (95KB, 669x513px) Image search: [Google]
8-bore-rifle.jpg
95KB, 669x513px
>>55282213

TL 5, not 6

If you are strict, the total penalty would be -3 from TL then -2 from defaulting, then -2 from being unfamiliar, then -1 per point of ST under 13. Hard to use.

>>55281525
Mass Combat rules aren't bad. I don't know if I love them, but I'm okay with them for what they are used for in an RPG game that isn't totally focused on it.

http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/

Offers combat examples useing various rules. Check it out.
>>
>>55282398
I'm with this guy. Firearms marksmanship hasn't changed from TL 5 to TL 8. Changes in weapon operation should be covered by Familiarity, given that the differences in shooting a AMRAAM or an R-27ER Alamo C are covered by familiarity penalties, despite the chances of an operator of one being able to handle the other is pretty much zero.
>>
File: gurps-discworld-1.jpg (340KB, 924x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gurps-discworld-1.jpg
340KB, 924x1200px
Hey GURPS does anyone have a link to the Discworld GURPS book?

I really want to create a campaign in Ankh Morpork.
>>
>>55282662
It's in the trove already.
>>
>>55273522
The standalone
>>
>>55282636
In fact, with every TL, there is less and less change between firearm technology.
TL3 to TL4 - guns actually become feasible.
TL4 to TL5 - rifling and repeating firearms become widespread.
TL5 to TL6 - smokeless powder, automatics
TL6 to TL7 - most of the progress is in grenade launchers and anti-tank weapons. In small arms, there are assault rifles, polymers, rise and fall of battle rifles, that's pretty much it.
TL7 to TL8 - rails and tacticool.
>>
>>55284067
TL penalties only apply to outdated tech; given TLs show a gear's starting date, not when it stopped being used. TL3 greatswords don't eat a TL penalty despite being introduced five TLs ago; if someone wants to learn Two-Handed Sword, they'll do so with gear that hasn't really changed in about a millennia.

To find guns that have been truly abandoned as outdated tech, you need to go back to TL4 or very early TL5. I see no problem applying the full TL penalty to a modern-day shooter trying to handle a wheel lock.
>>
File: 1402833372073.jpg (86KB, 666x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1402833372073.jpg
86KB, 666x1000px
>>55284818
Melee weapons aren't TL skills, friend.

See how guns are listed as Guns (TL/x)? That makes Guns the skill tied to the TL of the person that takes it.

That said High Tech acknowledges that many firearms remain in production across several TL and that TL penalties for guns is sort of a stupid idea anyway.

The easy fix would be to simply make Guns a non-TL skill, like Melee weapon skills are. You would never check if your TL matches a weapon, it would just be assumed you could use it at full proficiency as long as you were Familiar with that model of weapon.

TL skills make a lot of sense for Medicine, Computer Programming, Electronic Warfare and Scrounging (Pornography) but not at all for small arms.
>>
Anyone got any advice for running the Ravenloft setting in GURPS? Or a reasonable "serial numbers filed off" parallel?

I know the general rules of the setting, what parts of the setting would you recommend or ignore? What is good for a GURPS campaign?
>>
>>55285069
Embrace gothic horror and the feeling of being trapped in a world that doesn't necessarily make sense.

If you want to do a 'weekend in hell' like the classic Ravenloft adventure, I'd ham things up and make it very monster movie. Gypsy women giving them the cryptic information they need, an utterly evil vampire lord with monstrous servants they will have to face and of course a tragically innocent girl to save, and a not-so-innocent girl to get the damnation she 'deserves'.

If you are going to go long term Ravenloft, they live there/are natives, then I'd tone things down just a little bit.

Let them hear about the vampire in the old castle, but don't send them there right away. Let them meet people and get to know them before it becomes clear what archtype they fall into.

The intense doctor? He wants to vanquish death. The girl that will become the vampire's bride. The kind soul that will be cursed to become a werewolf.

Most Gothic villains should be a little tragic or pathetic.
>>
>>55285069
GURPS is really good for this kind of thing because you don't have to worry about levels and you can constrain magic.

Monster vulnerabilities tend to matter more in GURPS too. Getting a silver blade isn't just something that people that haven't bought magic yet do.

>>55285180
Not sure where you are getting that.
>>
>>55285235
Sorry, I misremembered IQ-based tech skills vs non-IQ-based tech skills as tech skills vs non-tech skills. It's too early and I haven't had my coffee yet.

Still, I think the tech penalty makes sense at extreme levels e.g. black powder weapons in the hands of a modern TL8 soldier. The differences at that level are more extreme and need more than 20 hours of training to overcome minor familiarity penalties.
>>
Discworld magic system is pretty neat. I especially like how witches can exploit narrative to get huge reduction of mana cost.
>>
I'm think i see somewhere rule about any injury above rolled damage require equal surgery MOS to be able to heal by any means, but i can't find where i see this
>>
>>55284067
TL3 Serpentine Powder. Gonne. Bombard. Firelances. Rockets. Organ Gun. Multi-Rocket Launcher (korea)
TL4 Corned Powder. Matchlock. Wheellock. Flintlock. Rifling. Cannon. Mortar (very rare). Grenade Launcher (basically an expensive toy). Primitive grenades (clay casing). Chinese Landmine (basically bamboo box full of black powder and bullets linked to a wheellock mechanism).
TL5 Improved Powder. Mercury Fulminate. Percussion Caps. Cased Ammo. Gatling Gun. Repeater Rifle. Breach-loading Rifles/Shotguns. Revolver. Rifled Canon. Iron Grenades. Metal Rocket. Practical Mortars (still mostly used for sieges but now in greater numbers). Land Torpedoes. Early Impact Grenades. Early Rifle Scopes.
TL6. Smokeless Powder. Bolt Action Rifle. Auto Pistol. SMG. Pump Shotgun. Auto Shotgun. Auto Rifle. LMG. MMG. HMG. Howitzer. Hand Grenades (earlier grenades were heavy, unreliable, and often extremely dangerous for the user). Rifle Grenades. Modern Mortars. Modern Landmines (all previous landmines were very unreliable; 1/3 chance of not working). AP ammo used for MG occasionally. Rifle scopes now common. Dynamite and later TNT.
TL7 Most of TL6 still used but better (more ammo, lighter, etc). Assault Rifle and later Assault Carbine. Underbarrel Grenade Launcher. Automatic Grenade Launcher. APHC comes into full swing (very rare in TL6). Experimental Electric Sights are introduced late TL7 (night vision scopes, targeting laser). RPG and Recoiless Rifle. Man portable guided missile launchers (anti-tank). Plastic and Fuel Air Explosives.
TL8. LikeTL7, everything earlier is often still used but is better due advanced materials. Advanced sights are now very common; many guns come out of the factory equipped to take them. Man portable anti-air missile launchers available. Experimental Caseless Ammo (plastic cased ammo more common). Improved plastic explosives (extrudable)

This is just a general overview. Every TL enjoys MASSIVE improvements to firearms and explosives technology.
>>
how should the GM handle things like enemy snipers in a WW2 game? Seems cheesy to just blow players heads off w/no dodge roll since the attack is unseen.

This isn't really a GURPS problem as much as a problem with GMing a fun game with the presence of lethal firearms.
>>
>>55291570
Have NPCs accompany them. Have NPC get head blown off to teach players to always stay in concealment, if not outright cover.

And don't make your snipers laser accurate, and remember to use the range/speed penalties.
>>
>>55291570
Fidget spinners.
>>
>>55291570
Make sure one of the PC's has Danger Sense and high Per.
>>
>>55291570
There's a reason almost every template for GURPS action has Luck. Modern combat is heavily influenced by it.
>>
>>55291570

Sniper timeline (or any hidden shooter): This assumes a concealed shooter with a gun readied. A sniper waiting more then a short time is unlikely to have the weapon ready and will need to spend a second readying the weapon first.

Second 1:
Sniper gains LOS to target. Target has LOS to sniper. Target gets an Observation/Perception check vs Stealth or Camofologe to spot the sniper. The sniper may need to do the same if the target is stealthy, and to tell the difference between friendly and hostile targets, or a hostile target and a hat and coat on a stick intended to lure them into shooting. Sniper Aims their readied weapon (WW II, let's say he has a fixed power +2 scope).

Second 2: Sniper Aims. This is the minimal time to make use of his scope. Target may move. If they break line of sight or get to cover, the sniper's shot is spoiled. If they look for threats they get another Observation check to spot the sniper. Better hope no light reflects off the scope.

Second 3: First time the sniper might fire. At short range, this is likely. At long range, the sniper is likely to need the bonus from aiming another second.

>What can you do for players?

Give Snipers an SL of 12 to 14. They aren't superhuman. Have them aim for NPCs as a preference, and take a risky head shot for their first shot rather then try for an easy torso shot. Once they know a sniper is out there things get more tense.

If you want to be generous, you can always just have the first shot always miss or only cause a superfical flesh wound on PCs.
>>
>>55278515
I'd like to second this anon's request- I've been wanting to make a good map of Huntsville, Alabama for a game but I can't make google maps do what I want.
>>
File: Huntsville.pdf (248KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Huntsville.pdf
248KB, 1x1px
>>55294429
>>55278515

Go to Google Maps. Find the area you want. Zoom in to the level you want. Pick Sat or Map.

Go to Menu (three lines, upper left) then turn off lables if you want. Select "Print" from the menu. The resulting map has a scale as shown.
>>
File: BetterHuntsville.pdf (233KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
BetterHuntsville.pdf
233KB, 1x1px
>>55294915
Oh yeah, set to landscape and set margins to minimal.
>>
>>55242519
>Which is better: capping skills/attributes or having lower point totals?
Neither.
No caps, lots of points, but with the caveat that they gotta be able to justify it in the setting.
>>
>>55282213
Not an unusual model, shouldn't be any penalties to use here. Maybe a familiarity penalty the first time of two they fire it as they adjust to the handling and kick.

TL with slug throwers is mainly a measure of how much more the weapon might be improved.
Servicing most older weapons shouldn't be too back either, though someone unfamiliar with how much fouling black powder generates will need to learn more thorough cleaning than they might be used to.
>>
>BESM was made by Pulver
Really makes you think.
>>
I'm in the early planning stages of a fantasy ancient China game, where the players are practitioners of the Void element.
As such, they would not have direct access to special powers related to Fire, Water, Wood, Earth, and Metal.
My question is what sorts of fantasy powers come to mind when you think of the Void element?
Ideas I have so far include Telekinesis, gravity, healing, and powers related to interacting with and banishing ghosts and spirits.
>>
>>55296404

Pressure and vacuum? Radiation? Maybe you could elaborate on just what the Void is supposed to symbolize in your setting.
>>
>>55296503
>just what the Void is supposed to symbolize
Exactly.
>>
>>55296545
>>55296503
>>55296404

Fucking nothing. It's the Void. Nothing there. All it does is destroy memories, time, erase things from existence and decay shit through entropy.

Everyone who uses it starts to forget. Maybe they notice, maybe they don't, but once they run out of memories to be devoured, they disappear as though they never existed. For fucking with powers they can't understand.
>>
>>55296404
Thaumatology says that Void usually symbolizes emotion and thought and provides a list of appropriate spells. You could use it to get ideas for powers.
>>
>>55296503
Just asking what the first things you think of when you see that word.
>>
>>55297013

Clearly I see a power that is potent, but devours me as I use it.
>"This hurts me more than it hurts you."
>>
I just got a PC back from someone joining my game and it's wifu as fuck.

What the hell do I do here? Do I just let this happen? Do I try to somehow discourage this?
>>
>>55298810
How about you explain using objective terms instead of subjective? HOW is it waifu as fuck, and WHY is this a problem?
>>
File: Mavie.pdf (44KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Mavie.pdf
44KB, 1x1px
>>55298839
It's easier to show then tell.
>>
Would you guys say that gurps is faster/better at doing fantasy than rolemaster,mythras classic fantasy and hackmaster?
>>
>>55299279
>that pic
Is it Pseudo's character?
Anyway, unless you expect them to be weird about it, I wouldn't worry too much.
>>
File: vZ04rUZNyU8.jpg (195KB, 1280x743px) Image search: [Google]
vZ04rUZNyU8.jpg
195KB, 1280x743px
>>55299487
YES
AND GURPS CAN DO EVERYTHING OTHER BETTER AND FASTER TOO
>>
>>55299487
>enough of a fanboy to post in a GURPS general
>would you say GURPS can do this thing better than another system?

Gee, what a fucking question? I wonder what this crowd might give as an answer?
>>
File: chimp_lighting_a_smoke.gif (848KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
chimp_lighting_a_smoke.gif
848KB, 500x400px
>>55299487
>>55299540

To be fair, I wouldn't say GURPS is faster unless you know the rules you're using well.

If you're looking for a Beer and Pretzels RPG, meant to be played with dudebros, normies, and cazuls, then maybe GURPS isn't your best bet.
>>
>>55299487
I'd say it is better at doing fantasy than D&D. Not sure if faster, but definitely more fun.
>>
>>55299540
>>55299573
>>55299759
I ask because i think people that play gurps already tested other games, and have a more mature opinion
>>
>>55299487
>>55299957
I haven't played any of those other games and they might be better at their kind of fantasy, but GURPS is probably more flexible and will rarely stand in your way of doing things.
>>
>>55299498
>Pseudo
Not unless they are using a pseudonym. That would be ironic.

Maybe it will be fine. Moe blob teenager isn't necessarily bad.
>>
>>55299573
GURPS is for when you want to make your own system but you need a toolset. It lets you craft the system you need you for the types of games you want to play.

If you're expecting an out of the box game, you're using the wrong system. Nonetheless, I'd say GURPS is pretty good out of the box for realistic modern day games. After all, what originally drew me to GURPS was the need for a system to run zombie-themed survival horror games.
>>
>>55300232
>If you're expecting an out of the box game
...you can use Dungeon Fantasy.
>>
>>55300313
Is DF it's own thing now?
>>
>>55300336
Yes, but even before that it was enough to run games on its own.
>>
>>55300336
1. You can just use DF as is without further fiddling.
2. There is "DF RPG powered by GURPS" which is standalone, although I am not aware if it's available to non-backers yet.
>>
>>55300365
How? DF 1 itself says you needed the Basic Set and Magic if you planned on playing a Spellcaster.
>>
>>55300232
GURPS has a bunch of settings ready to go, with After the End, Dungeon Fantasy, Action, Monster Hunters, ect.

Those let you pretty much grab and go. A few random roll tables and you can even just start any of them as hex-crawls.

It's also wide open if you want to make your own setting.

>>55299279

Her big problem is that she's made to destroy with first impressions but that's a pretty limited specaility and there isn't much follow though. She's successfully barely good enough at a bunch of different roles and fragile as fuck if anyone can resist the goddamn puppydog eyes.
>>
>>55300381
>2. There is "DF RPG powered by GURPS" which is standalone, although I am not aware if it's available to non-backers yet.
The PDFs are out to backers, the physical boxes are getting shipped in a couple weeks to backers, and they're aiming to ship to retailers in October.

But yeah, so far it's mostly just backers. I haven't seen the PDFs out in the wild yet.
>>
>>55299279
Bought pitiable twice
And those are some 5$ underpants

Be prepared for under the table fapping
>>
File: Lazy Bobcat 2017 09 09.pdf (43KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Lazy Bobcat 2017 09 09.pdf
43KB, 1x1px
>>55299498
This is Pseudo's character.
I didn't know I was a meme. c:
>>
Is it easy to challenge 250pt characters? Im struggling a bit, they seem to be waltzing through regular dudes.
>>
>>55302564
What's the TL, and what are their tactics?
Are these regular dudes carrying swords or pistols lined up on the far side of a room?
Or are they pike blocks and crossbowmen or organized, L-shaped squad ambushes?
>>
>>55302630
TL is 3, and they are regular guardsmen. Mix of sword and shield and crossbows. They tend to use stop thrusts a lot, and all out defend to keep the party away from the line of crossbows.

L shaped squad?
>>
>>55294915
>>55295007
Ace. Thanks, anon.
>>
Would you think a Fallout-ized combat system could work well? I'm heavily modifying GURPS (mostly cosmetic) to be more like an actual Fallout game, and making it more rules light.

I've been considering tweaking turns, and using an action point type system like Fallout 1 and 2 used, derived from Agility(which is DX/2 to make it a 1-10 scale) with the equation 5+(Agility/2) so minimum 6, average 8, max 10.
Moving one hex would take 1 AP, aiming could take two and shooting would vary, maybe be based on weapon bulk somehow? Like 1+bulk/2 so a bulk 3 pistol would take 3 AP to shoot?

Could save AP for reaction actions, like you can take a single out of sequence one hex step, to back up from advancing targets, move away from a grenade, change cover etc, or make a snapshot with your weapon at someone if you were waiting for something to emerge from cover.
>>
>>55304529
>making GURPS more rules light
>by adding an AP system for shitton of bookkeepeing and with math
LMAO
Check Last Gasp pyra articles
>>
>>55299957
Counterpoint: they're already invested enough to not own up to the flaws. Which is pretty common, you see it with plenty of other games like Shadowrun, WoD, or Eclipse Phase. The only reason D&D tends to get actual informed criticism is because everyone plays it, whereas people who don't like most other games wont play them, and thus wont subject them to informed criticism.
>>
>>55304812
The main priority is not rules light in combat, but making it more familiar as a Fallout game. The rules light is that I'm reducing the number of skills and such.
>>
>>55301751
>>55300144
>>55301001

I feel like there's some underestimating going on here.

Staff's a good weapon pick for a low ST TL 3 character. Serendipity and Luck are potent advantages and other then ST stats are generally high enough that with a low point investment you could develop in a lot of different directions.

Advantages add up to being able to open nearly any door in Europe and get a good Reaction from just about everyone. The whole group can benefit from that. Low SL in social skills hurts a lot less when you only have to use them on people that are inclined to like you anyway.
>>
How would I stat up frankensteins monster?
>>
>>55306659
Which version? The one in the novel is pretty much just a huge strong guy with a disturbing appearance, IIRC, which doesn't seem like it would be that hard to stat up. Gigantism, high strength, Monstrous appearance (or something similar). Decent social skills if you're blind, but if you're not he's pretty obviously an abomination.

You'll also want to buy a highish intelligence and work out a way for him to quickly learn languages, I suppose, since that was also a thing with him. This is obviously non-applicable to more modern Hammer Horror version of the Monster, where his intelligence and eloquence is nil.

Is there anything else that's relevant for him?
>>
>>55295007
>>55294915

I can see how that would be cool for air combat. it helps get a sense for the speed and space involved as well as showing how what happens up in the air effects what happens on the ground.

Do you have any tips for closer in maps like for a neighborhood that a party is fighting in?
>>
>>55307548
High IQ/Will, Language Talent, and some of the extra rules/options from Back to School would help.
>>
>>55296404
Absorption, nullification and erasure. Vacuums and paralysis and shit like that.
>>
File: Mobile Estates.pdf (613KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Mobile Estates.pdf
613KB, 1x1px
>>55307870
Zoom in more with 3D on. For example, this is the Huntsville Mobile Home Estates at a scale where you can pick out individual houses.
>>
>>55303494
>L shaped
The standard TL7-8 infantry ambush with crossfire.

For TL3, how about the venerable sniper team ambush? A pair of veteran crossbowmen and their pavise-toting assistants, presumably between contracts as Italian mercenaries, mage hunters, etc.

The shooters are masters of their craft - DX 13 and 20 points in the skill tots up to 19.

A ST25 heavy xbow is 3d+2 imp. Acc 4 and 3 seconds braced for the vitals, and it's 23; so from 30 meters away, they hit on a 16-.

The assistants carry a second pair of xbows to hand off, then reload the used ones.

So, contracted to deal with these runaway PCs, they scope out the town and find somewhere the party will be - an inn, or maybe a tavern so the PCs are drunk first. They set up on the roof across the way, for that 30m distance, and so that no-one without magic can simply charge them. They'll have to climb up or find the stairs (and the assistants have barred the door, poured oil on the stairs, poke at the PCs with a short spear while they climb up, etc).

So 2 bolts in the first second, then another 2 in the third second, and the first two are guaranteed to hit. They'll do good damage even through heavy plate, and the bolts are poisoned of course, and then there's bleeding... Plus enchantments if you have magic.

With a little luck, half the party is crippled and bleeding out in the middle of the street before they can roll initiative.
>>
>>55310893

Problems with this plan:

Crossbowmen with DX 13 are impossible to hire by an add in the paper. You can't just get an Olympic athlete.

And you aren't trying to hire soldiers. You want assassins. Your plan is dependent on them not being noticed or creating a commotion until they take their shot. This means they need Fast Talk, Stealth, Acting or other skills to get into place. Give you need elite ones, your price just hit six figures if they can be found at all.

You are assuming men hunted by someone that can afford elite assassins are getting drunk in a tavern with the guard down.

You are assuming 250 point characters aren't going to have enough Perception or Observation to notice the assassin in the 4 seconds between Line of Sight and the shot.

Realistic TL 3 poisons won't do anything on a crossbow bolt.

You are assuming crossbowmen have LOS 3 seconds after their first shot, and that the players don't take cover.

Last, you seem to have forgotten a medium shield can easily stop every one of those bolts.

>>55302630
Try some people with shields that throw spears before closing in. Outnumber them a bit and have some try to work around their sides. 250 points is a pretty powerful character, fighting normal men in the default "cinimatic" style they will generally win without too much trouble, so salt the team of attackers with a stronger boss.
>>
>>55311059
At 250 points, their enemies better be hiring top talent. It's easy to change up the scenario - at a hundred yards, the snipers are still hitting on a 13 or less. Find a lonely road, a rope bridge, add some apprentices, etc.
>>
>>55311105
Yeah, I'm just saying you'd literally be able to hire 20 ST 11/DX10 SL 13 guys with axes for cheaper, and it would be a much more fun encounter.
>>
I love Sorcery!
>>
>>55312783
I like Sorcery and Psionic Powers
>>
>>55249191
I don't think she is asian but I really don't know.
>>
Is there good guides about how to handle mapless or zoned combat?
>>
so... how exactly do i go about having my players go through some air to air combat, and air to ground?
>>
>>55316863
3d6 roll under vs attack skill with modifiers for speed, range and taking aim against 3d6 roll under vs 1/2 of piloting skill +3
>>
>>55249191
She's not Asian. The chick in question does a fuckload of cosplays, that's all.

>>55259807
Don't have Action, what does it do?

>>55282213
The real problem would be ST requirement, not the wrong Skill or TL. So you have a familiarity penalty, ST penalty and wrong Skill penalty. I'll say the familiarity penalty shouldn't be long-lasting, as you come from higher TL and operate a weapon not THAT different from your own TL. If it was lower TL using higher TL - much bigger deal. So the lack of familiarity comes from the same reason why you as a person might have a hard time figuring out where the safety is when given a gun for the first time, but you know that you need to find said safety and then find the switch to break the gun and reload it. You just need to find out where those are places.

tl;dr - make sure they make it with ST requirement, that's going to be the biggest pain regardless of other factors.

>>55315325
You mean it as how to have rules for mapping or what?
>>
>>55316915
hmmm, any thoughts of adding in cinematic rules and such? aerobatic maneuvoures?
>>
>>55316953
Also, as far as I remember, all Guns skill are easier to use as unmodified roll than apply wrong skill to firing them, unless said skill is sufficiently higher over your bare Perception.
Assuming the character in question was made for shooting and Guns (Pistol) isn't at least 3 points above Perception, then you are more likely to just make an unmodified roll than burden yourself with wrong skill.
>>
>>55316953
>You mean it as how to have rules for mapping or what?
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "mapless" means "Theater of the Mind", while "zoned"... can mean a number of things.
(Old-school Traveller combat bands? 13th Age abstract distances between individual combatants? Old School Hack's literal zones, so you take an action to move from "Kitchen" to "bar", and can engage anyone in your zone?)
>>
>>55316953
>Don't have Action, what does it do?

Basically you assign a rating of -1 to -10 to an organization of bad guys and generally apply it on rolls against them that would be influenced by their level of organization. For example to infiltrate one of their compounds or to do research on them. There are some guidelines on how to determine the BAD rating, but you can just do it arbitrarily by how big a deal they are.
>>
>>55317005
Oh, I get it - they have a default modifier for being mooks and being the bad guys of the story, always incompetent against the "heroes".
Neat!
>>
File: What am I reading.gif (1MB, 430x360px) Image search: [Google]
What am I reading.gif
1MB, 430x360px
>>55316984
Honestly, I have no idea what the hell you are talking right now
>>
>>55317058
Various types of mapless combat in other games that >>55315325 was presumably asking about implementing in GURPS. Or implementing something similar, at any rate.

"Theater of the mind" is the old-school mapless combat from way back (as in original D&D and whatnot) where you just play out everything in, well, your mind - hence the name. It's got some issues in regards to keeping everyone on the same track and accuracy and whatnot unless you specifically build the game to accomodate it, though, but has the benefit of being a lot easier to set up than a physical map and a bunch of miniatures.

Traveller's range bands (from the original Little Black Books, I think they made a more complicated system later) are, well, a bunch of bands you have set up. It's basically a one-dimensional grid: you have ranges for attacks ("melee" might require you to be in the same band as someone else while "close" might be up to three bands away and "far" ten or whatever, I don't remember the specifics) and move from one to another and whatnot.
It's all very abstract and just covers abstract distances between combatants rather than modelling 3d space.

13th Age is one of those games that is built around TotM (as opposed to D&D 5E, which has TotM as the base assumption but still uses discrete feet for ranges): you have specific abstract distances to other combatants (e.g. close, far, melee, whateverthefuck they're called) and movement changes the distance (but doesn't necessarily change your distance to other combatants). AoE attacks don't have diameters, but just hid XdY people in a group.

Old School Hack's thing is that you, well, have a number of zones written out (Bar Room is adjacent to Behind The Bar and Stairs, and Stairs are adjacent to Balcony which is adjacent to Chandelier etc.) and abilities just care about which zone you're in. You could move from the balcony to the chandelier, for instance, and abilities might target people in adjacent zones or whatever.
>>
File: cog.jpg (273KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
cog.jpg
273KB, 2592x1944px
Quick question - is there any place in 4e where I can find a price of a cog? It should be TL3
>>
>>55317323
Low Tech Companion 3.
>>
>>55317347
>140k
Jesus Christ... No way a GM will allow to get one even as an iconic gear
>>
>>55317375
This is what Patrons are for.
>>
>>55317379
Still... Guess I'll just scrap the idea to be Hanseatic captain (yes, that required to own your ship, not just being hired)
>>
>>55317323
>>55317375
If the campaign is about sea adventures GM will give you ship one way or the other.
If it's not, then why the fuck do you need your own personal ship rusting in docks?
>>
>>55317405
The campaign is supposed to take place "around the Baltic shores". It's so fucking criptic it might as well meaning walking around the shore and getting shanked by Prussians/Lithuanians/Estii or just taxed up the nose by Teutonic knights or Danes.

Being Hanseatic trader/captain sounded like a fair plan, since, duh, Baltic campaign during High Medieval.
>>
Got a fellow player (gm's gf) that only ever uses bows. Refuses to use said bow. Will only use bows. Even in our modern campagins she uses a bow. And he never does shit. How do i really just fucking force her to use anything but a bow.
Little info on her. Shes fat. Dumb. Thinks shes cute. Is a feminist and got fat cowtits
>>
File: (You).png (534KB, 1156x999px) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
534KB, 1156x999px
>>55317452
I think you should consult /pol/ on that
>>
>>55317452
GurpsGen is the wrong place to ask for girl advice. You should ask /d/ or /pol/.
>>
>>55317419
Well, then your only solution is to talk with your GM.

Also, there was Pyramid article (several articles?) about handling (space)ship as Patron depending on how much it can influence on-foot adventures, and about handling expensive assets.
>>
>>55317468
Question is more of how do i stop the cunt as her fellow player from using bows?
>>
>>55317452
Did you try to not play dnd for a change?
>>
>>55317488
Its gurps...
>>
>>55317478
Still wrong thread and probably wrong board.

And to make it clear and transparent: get the fuck out with your player "drama".
>>
>>55317478
Kill the player or the character. We don't care which.

Now leave until you have a question about GURPS and not your inability to fucking communicate with another human.
>>
File: 2423115544_6d8aebd46e.jpg (126KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2423115544_6d8aebd46e.jpg
126KB, 500x375px
>>55317375
>>55317392
It's not totally out of range. Finance was primitive in TL 3, not non-exsistant.

So let's start with Very Wealthy. That's 30 points and means your base wealth is 20,000.

Now let's spend half of that to secure your half of a loan. You buy the ship with your Patron as a 50% partner. You have a loan for 120k, secured with 20k down. Take 5 levels of the Debt disadvantage to reflect this and you've got a payment of 4000 per month. Your patron/family patriarch agrees to co-sign and underwrite your loan, in return you will operate the ship and split the profits with him, 50/50.

Or go cheap! Don't buy a 140k ship. Instead, pick up a 37' square rigged sailboat out of Low Tech. It's an anachronism, but most GM will be okay with you having an updated, TL 3 version of a small square rigged boat.

Only 4 crew and only 5.25 tons of cargo, you are starting off with modest cargo but big dreams. On the bright side, at $15k you can afford to buy it outright with Very Wealthy with enough money left over to pick up a cargo.

This kind of small boat can be perfect for adventurers too. Shallow enough draft to slip in and out of coves and do some smuggling, too.

>>55317452
Why does it matter? It's not optimal but as long as the archer's adding anything to the game just let it go and she can have her Catness Everdeen daydreams. Maybe one day some hunger games will slim her down a bit.

>I'm playing with a bad player

Welcome to every group ever.
>>
>>55317042
No no, it's a modifer for your PCs against the bad guys. -1 means they're barely organized mooks and their security measures are barely existent, while -10 are top operational operators. Infiltrating a compound of the former would mean avoiding the notice of a drunk hobo (-1 on sneak) while the latter would mean getting past several highly trained sentries and security cameras (-10 on sneak)
>>
>>55317766
So the other way around.
Still neat!
>>
>>55317375
I'm a fan of The Captain's Ship, a Pyramid article that handles owning ships in a very gamist/narrativist fashion. I don't know if that approach would be acceptable for your sort of game, but if it is, try and find that article.
>>
>>55317488
>Did you try to not play dnd for a change?
FOKK YOU WE GOT DUNGEON FANTASY ITS LIKE D&D BUT MUCH BETTER CUZ IT IS ALSO GURPS TOO
>>
>>55317690
Why are bows not optimal?
>>
>>55319342
Bows are fine. Unless you get into close combat, or they're compared to crossbows, or pitted against guns.
>>
>>55319408
Not him, but honestly, is there worse ranged skill and weapon in GURPS than bows?

And also it just hit me while filling captcha - do bows in High Tech TLs also suffer from all their downsides from Low TLs?
I mean after all with all the moving blocks, counterweigh, aiming devices and all, bow shouldn't be THAT bad as it is when it's just a Low TL bow
>>
>>55319449
Sling
>>
>>55319408
Bows are good up to TL3, and have an exploitable niche up to TL5... after that, there's not much point, unless you got a lot of cinematic switches toggled just right to favor bows over guns, and someone min-maxed to be really good at bows.
>>55319449
I forget, do bows automatically count as fine at higher tech levels like several low tech weapons?
>>
>>55319503
I'm a complete noob, what is their niche?

I'm setting up a new GURPS campaign which will feature an archer (at tl3 but access to tl4 for some people) and I don't want them to feel useless. Does Weapon Master/Strongbow/Heroic Archer make the difference? If I allow those, will the archer overshadow others?
>>
>>55320249
You talk about dumping about 50 points (minimum) into one trick so he definetely will owerrshadow anyone. Hell, it is around 1/3 of average starting powerlevel!
>>
>>55242519
Anyone have that picture of a kid reading gurps under their sheets at night?
>>
>>55320249
Their niche changes from TL to TL. In a setting that's largely TL3, bows are arguably the best ranged option. They tend to be lighter and have better range than thrown weapons, deal reasonable damage, and are significantly faster than crossbows (you could use a crossbow of your own ST to make reloading viable, but at that point the difference between the two isn't very extreme one way or the other). If TL4 black powder weapons start becoming more common, the bow's niche becomes rapid fire; three seconds to reload after every shot is better than ten seconds. At TL5+, bow's niche becomes relatively quite shots and survivability. Bows aren't entirely silent, but they're quieter than a gunshot, and it's easier to fletch arrows while innawoods than fabricating cased ammo.

Depending on the campaign style, bows may have one consistent niche: variable ammo. Standard impaling, armor-piercing bodkin, cutting, flaming, and whistling arrows are just a few options, and poisoned arrowheads are more commonly accepted than poisoned bullets. This isn't even getting into the fact that you can easily tie something onto the arrow (an explosive, a message, or something weirder), and while that seriously penalizes your skill and range, it does mean you have OODLES of options at your disposal.
>>
>>55320249
Universal niche for bows:
They are silent. This becomes an important factor in TL4 to 6 and REALLY helps out, especially since in typical TL5 and up crossbow disappears only to resurface in TL8 as hunting gear.

And unlike all ranged weapons before revolvers and semi-auto guns roll in - they shot REALLY fast.
>>
>>55316863
>>55316954
Check out "Dogfight Action" in Pyramid #53.
>>
>>55321834
No, use the dogfight rules in Vehicles.
>>
>>55320249
What the other two anons said: they are faster than standard use of crossbow and much faster than guns until case ammo becomes a thing along with magazines. The fact they are almost completely silent makes them suprisingly good at ambushes in your typical cowboy & indians scenario, since you can start killing people without them know what's going on.
However, once TL7 rolls in, all bets are off, unless the setting has magic and/or you are playing with cinematic rules. Or it's a post-apo setting, so having easy-to-get-ammo ranged weapon is important.
>>
>>55320249

Heroic Archer and Weapon Master (bow) means most of the disadvantages are gone. You can fire with the full Acc bonus every round and hit very hard, allowing you to slaughter targets from a safe distance.

Bows aren't quite silent in realistic games, but they are obviously much, much less loud then a gunshot. The sound most bows make when fired is a bit like a really big string instrument, but there are ways to keep the string from vibrating and making as much sound.
>>
>>55323845
If I had to choose just one of Heroic Archer, or WM archer, which should I choose? (And is it worth it to pick just one)
>>
>>55321834
>>55322063
thank you kind anons! time to do some digging.
>>
>>55324008
Not him, but it depends what you want to get out of it. If you want go have more flexibility and spilling over other skills, then WM. If you want to be a really epic archer but not much else, then HA.
>>
>>55324008
Heroic Archer is objectively better for most builds, as it gives you your bow's Acc bonus on every shot. WM gives you bonus damage and you can take cinematic skills, but it's more useful for melee weapons.

>>55324175

The wildcard is that you can take WM to cover things other then bows for a small increase in cost. Weapon Master (Bow and Staff) for example could make a badass and very effective Robin Hood.
>>
Under the disadvantage "Lame (missing leg)" it says to reduce basic move to 2, but you can "still get full points for it"

Does that mean you get those points back or you can raise it back normally by buying into it?
>>
>>55320862
Anyone? Please? I really can't find it
>>
>>55324855
I think it means you get your 10 points for the crippled legs and then additionally 5 points per yard/second of move you have to sell to get to half your normal score, but don't quote me on this.
>>
>>55324855
You get the points from buying down BM. If your BM was 6, you get the points for Lame (Missing Leg) AND 20 more points for buying BM down from 6 to 2.

I don't think you can buy it back up unless you're playing a high-SM creature with a very long stride. A SM+6 giant, even when hobbled, would be able to cover quite some ground.
>>
File: 38587421_p0.jpg (4MB, 2977x4210px) Image search: [Google]
38587421_p0.jpg
4MB, 2977x4210px
>two weeks of no GrimWyrd
>two weeks of no GURPS
feels bad man
>>
File: 1447954.jpg (145KB, 993x805px) Image search: [Google]
1447954.jpg
145KB, 993x805px
>>55325270
I'm jonesing for it now. Damn hard.
>>
>>55242519
>Which is better: capping skills/attributes or having lower point totals?
Caps regardless of point totals

In our table we cap skill points to 40, and require a tiered/bracketed progression, that can be done with any skill/spell. Theres an initial cap of 12 pts in any skill for a starting character without some rules exemption or UB

by spend 8 pts in 3 skills you progress from 12 to 16.

Then after spending 16 points in two skills, you break the cap to 28 pts. After spending 28pts in two skills you unlock the final cap. 40 pts.

Different races have differing DX caps, usually ranges from 18 max for brute and to 24 to agile races. Assumin 40 pts, balanced and wpn bond, thats DX+12 for a DX/A weapon. or something ranging from 30 to 36. Thats -7 to -10 to a torso hit. And a parry of around 20/23 or more if you are using a shield.

ST is capped around 21 for most races, except ogres and orcs who have no ST limit. HT is capped to 18 for most races. Trolls and ogres can buy limitless HT. IQ is somewhat like DX. Same upper limit for caster races (24-25). Magery is limited to 3 for most races or 4 for races that start with magery (like elves), its possible to have 1 more by being a sorcerer type caster who has more FP and less spells.

Will and Per are very limited. Most races can only buy +3 of either (such as orcs, elfs, dwarves, trolls) and each IQ point above 10 gives you a level in only one. So a focused brute orc warrior only hope of having will 16 is buying IQ up to 13 and buying his allowed 15 pts in will. Making it very likely that your average orc is vulnerable to mental spells.

Humans OTOH can but +5 will and per, and they can choose one base stat to go up to 20, and the others are capped at 18, making them very flexible. With extraordinary training perk for 21 ST, arms ST+2 and striking ST +2 (the limits we use) a human fighter can get to ST 25, which allows him 5d-1 swing damage, or 7d+2 for a weapon master.
>>
>>55327274
Move was capped to +3, Basic speed to +2.00
FP is capped to 100% of HT unless one choses more limiting caster types (sorcerer can get 200%). Energy reserve is the same deal, cept you can only buy it after buying up all your FP. Cept for sorcerers. HP is capped to 50% of ST.

Overall it produces the intended effect, on a 250pt starting budget you have some optimal builds but they are limited because the GM dictates when caps can be broken, aside from the bracketed system.

Archetypes are respected and exceptions are made when fitting (the orc hunter with extra perception and talent instead of IQ for instance)
>>
>>55282213
Use Alternate GURPS III's rules for alternate guns. It even mentions that the TL penalties for gun usage is not actually logical.
>>
>>55327349
After playing with this system for 3 years, I feel it doesnt even matter controling for points if you dont cap stuff. Its just that controling points is immediately obvious to any GM while caps require more experience to refine.
>>
Running a new campaign (5 sessions in), it's been great so far but have a prospective player joining who has an interesting character concept that I'm not quite sure how to handle.

Basically, he's a TL5+1 relic hunter who uses found magitech items for a variety of different powers/uses. The catch is that they generally have limited charges, and must be discarded and replaced by finding new ones (presumably also with different powers).

I've been mulling over some kind of modular ability package, but it seems... inelegant? Any alternative suggestions? Aside from just coming up with a billion different items for him to find that might be potentially difficult to meter.
>>
File: 29582158636_0f0b374a9b_b.jpg (535KB, 1024x764px) Image search: [Google]
29582158636_0f0b374a9b_b.jpg
535KB, 1024x764px
>>55328416

Working it up as a alternate ability that allows him to get new charges and switch between his different powers when he can prepare would work.

Or I'd consider making a set of items I liked, giving them a price in $ then making it a Signature Gear for him. So when he uses up his stock of Magitech stuff he gets a chance to replace it.

Or.. Just make up some items with a cash cost and let him start with some. If you can hunt them down and use them won't the other players want to get in on that too?
>>
>>55328416
MA with Limited Use wouldn't be too bad IMO. An alternative is to have the relics just work via plotonium and represent them with Serendipity; instead of lucky breaks, the advantage represents having whatever weird relic would be helpful for that scene. For example, when faced with an impassable pit, a use of regular Serendipity might mean you find a long enough plank to serve as a makeshift bridge while Serendipity (Relic) might mean you just happen to have Rodolpho's Lightpath in your pocket that can project a bridge of hard light over the pit.

I'd say the Relic variant is worth +0%. Because it represents gadgets rather than actual luck/fate, it wouldn't be able to help with things like running into just the right person on the street or something similar; however, the plausibility of the lucky break is no longer as much of an issue, so that's one less hassle to worry about. You're trading scope for reliability.
>>
>>55329020
>Working it up as a alternate ability that allows him to get new charges and switch between his different powers when he can prepare would work.
This is interesting, thanks. Signature gear could work. I suppose metatronic generators are also a possible consideration, though that seems like a lot of calculation for disposable items. Maybe allow Gizmo to cover some aspect of it?

>won't the other players want to get in on that too?
I suppose I should also mention he has a fairly rare ability to activate and use the relics, which comes from specialized skills and understanding pertaining to the technology which most others lack. Other characters might still want them for their inherent value, though.

>>55329760
>Serendipity
This is kind of neat, yeah. Maybe combined with Gizmo and an Unusual Background (to replace gadgeteer) around 10 points for just the enabling of "found" gizmos comparable to something a gadgeteer to design, but with none of the actual inventing perks.
>>
>>55330630
Update: I think I'm going to use the 3-46 Weird Science power source/rules, with the artifacts being his primary method of channeling powers (and alternate abilities) and just happening to have a number of charges apiece, most likely increasing the discount of the modifier for any powers (requires preparation + scrounging roll? I dunno just yet).

Combined with some of the above-listed options, I feel like this fairly rounds out the capabilities of such a character concept. Thoughts?
>>
File: 1474861651737.png (318KB, 496x559px) Image search: [Google]
1474861651737.png
318KB, 496x559px
I know this is quite old, but I only just saw this
http://www.sjgames.com/general/stakeholders/

>Our Kickstarter project to create a GURPS introductory box set has run into more troubles and derailments than we would like.
>At the moment, barring a miracle, what would have been a profitable project is rapidly turning into a loss.

>We published two new GURPS hardcover books late last year. [...] their disappointing performance further supported the unfortunate realization that sales are no longer strong enough to make traditional distribution work for GURPS hardcovers.
>Today's cluttered market, combined with our insistence on getting it right, made both books expensive experiments that tell us one thing: Do not produce more GURPS hardcovers until we have guaranteed that the sales are there.

The most galling part is the bit I just quoted about "getting it right". Getting it right would be actually producing a GURPS book that made you money instead of losing it!

Look, SJ, here's the deal: I don't really care how good the stuff you put out is anymore. GURPS is my perfect system. Everything about it, from top to bottom is perfect for me. If you put out some stuff that's technically subpar, you know what? I wouldn't care. Because you've created a system that ENCOURAGES tinkering. If I have problems with some aspect, I can just change it. That's what GURPS is all about, and that's something that I've always been able to do with the system.

You know what I can't do right now? Get my friends to switch from Pathfinder to GURPS. Pathfinder is a bloated, decrepit mess of a game, and I can't get them to switch because GURPS doesn't have any punchy, easy to digest rulebook that I can hand to them and go "just read this, make a character and show up Friday, text me if you have any questions".

This turned into more of a rant than I planned on, but this is getting really painful to watch. Just give me SOMETHING I can use, anything.
>>
>>55330917
SJG aren't exactly.. great at business. They have some serious efficiency problems that make it exceptionally expensive for them to produce books.

Their softcover book problems give a very, very worrying picture of their business practices. This was a limited run of B&W interior softcovers of books they already had published in the past, yet they still somehow lost money charging $30 USD for a 240 page book that should cost about $10-14 to make.
>>
>>55331163
Was this report from before the recent shakeup? I heard there was some significant staff/administrative changes not too long ago where they dropped some department head, maybe their advertising exec?

Regardless, I hope they get their shit together soon. Munchkin can't be a company-sustaining moneymaker forever, and I'm worried that putting all their eggs in one basket will soon bite them in the ass. Some of the recent licenses like Rick & Morty are a little disconcerting.
>>
>>55332674
>>55331163
It's not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Imagine you are making a book you will sell for $10. It cost $4 to have the book printed, packed and sent to people that buy it, so you give some people you like contracts. $1 each to write, edit, illustrate and layout the book.

But.. your mortgage is a bit behind, and the book could use some more polish. You give yourself a contract to work on it for $1 for writing and line editing. Then your friend and writer has a new baby so he really needs more money, so you give him a chapter for $1.

Your $10 book now cost you $10 to make, and the company makes no profit on this at all. You weren't really corrupt or embezzling, but you were't a great manager on this project..

But nobody gives a fuck, because the other department at the company makes card games for $12 and sells them for $350.
>>
>>55332999
>But nobody gives a fuck, because the other department at the company makes card games for $12 and sells them for $350.
Are we talking about Steve Jackson Games or Wizards of the Coast? Because this seems like a bit of a widespread problem.

Although given how RPGs are such a niche product while CCGs make money hand over fist I wouldn't be surprised if the same went for, like, Fantasy Flight Games. Or any other studio that makes both RPGs and CCGs.
Or Blizzard, I guess. That's the power of microtransactions and booster packs, isn't it?
>>
>>55326474
>>55325270
Sorry bout that guys! :(
Real life is a bastard sometimes

But don't worry! We can blow up an ocean soon!
>>
>>55333040
It's not exactly unheard of. The truth is most managers are more interested in keeping their team happy and doing a good enough job to avoid making waves, rather then really maximizing profits.
>>
>>55332999
Still, I'm worried that, one day, that $12:$350 ratio will drop HARD. Diversity is good and SJG is relying entirely on one product line.
>>
>>55272486
Just so you know, that book is for Third Edition. If it says "2Nd edition", that just means it's the second edition of GURPS Uplift.
>>
>>55333857
>Diversity is good
GTFO SJW. /s

Yeah I agree, I don't understand it either. I have never seen anyone play Munchkin!
>>
>>55335964
Diversification of product lines =! Sjw """"muh diversity"""''

Multiple possible sources of income for a company is good. Like, 'multiple roots feeding a tree' good.
>>
Alright, bizarre question.

One of the species in my setting are a group of reptile that grow much larger than humans (adult size is typically 12 feet tall and 1500 lbs). Since they grow throughout their lives however, there's theoretically no upper limit to how large they can get, with very old individuals getting to nearly 20 feet tall and weighing over 3000 lbs. I'm not really sure how to template this, since there's a pretty huge amount of variability between adults. Help?
>>
>>55336525
Either you don't add it to the template or pick the size of the average, generic adult.
>>
>>55249191
>Who is Asian Noir Secretary and why is she GURPS?

One does not question SexyChickGURPSGuy, one only downloads the images.
>>
>>55336525
You make additional templates that you slap on for ages, or rather when each age goes up another SM.
>>
So apparently Higher Arms ST and Higher Lift are exotic. How to get it or something similar in mundane game? I honestly don't understand why they are in exotic in the first place.
>>
>>55337060
And to explain my logic:
Let's say you have a galley slave. A guy that does nothing but rowing for five years straight. He can barely walk, since, well, being chained to a bench and all, but his arms and upper torso are in top condition and strong muscles.
Playing it mundane, you would have to take disadvantage like Lame legs, while also taking ST up the noose, despite only having strong arms and not exactly being the most robust person either.

Why not pick Lame legs and Higher Arm ST? Sounds perfectly reasonable for me
>>
>>55337060
>>55337112
Ask the gm for a handwave to fit the character?
>>
>>55337060
>>55337112
>>55337159
It's a perk called Special Training. It allows you to gain traits like these that make sense for a character to have, and basically functions like a small, specialized Unusual Background for a specific trait. Most commonly used in MA for things like striking strength, hand DR from punching trees for training, etc. but also can cover things like this.
>>
>>55337159
>>55337563
This was just an example. I simply don't understand why by default those advantages are considered exotic.
>>
>>55337899
Well, the exotic/mundane/supernatural labels are inherently pretty wishy washy. Personally I never use them to sort traits for campaigns, I simply allow or disallow them on a case by case basis.

As far as I can tell they're primarily just guidelines for newbies, couldn't tell you one way or another why those are exotic advantages aside from maybe to keep everyone from taking them "just because".
>>
>>55336036
Sorry I thought the /s made it clear. I totally agree with you. I was just quoting you out of context as a bit of stupid Humor.
>>
>>55337899
They generally require non-human skeletal and muscle structures, at least for Striking/Lifting ST. A dude that skipped leg day doesn't have Arm ST instead of regular ST barring some very extreme circumstances, in which case it warrants an Unusual Background or Special Exercises perk.
>>
What kind of things should I be looking at for an archer with a shoulder dragon ally, TL3, 250points, 50pts disadvantages + 5 quirks.
>>
>>55242519
>>The Fantasy book is written by archaeologists and historians

into le garbage it is hurled
>>
>>55339673
Something that lets you speak (or get close enough to it) with your dragon. It'd be an amazing scout/spotter. If telepathy is possible (especially telepathy at a range), even better.

Heroic Archer is always a safe bet. Look at the Scout powerups from Dungeon Fantasy for other neat things to add. What else are you looking at character-wise or role-wise?
>>
>>55339673
>shoulder dragon ally
Depending on how strong you want it to be, and using Ally (Constantly available x4; Minion +50%), that's between 6 points (62 point dragonling) and 60 points (375 point dragon - the sample racial template in B261 is a 260pt dragon, for reference).

Presumably if you're going for a shoulder dragon you'll go towards the lower end of that scale - play around a bit and see if you can workshop something cheapish to present to your GM. There's some additional enhancements and limitations you can play around with, but I reckon that those would be the basics for your concept.
(Constantly available so you don't need to worry about it not being present in an adventure, and minion so you don't need to worry too much about having to treat them well. Feel free to change this if you want what's basically a magical cat, though.)
>>
>>55339886
And remember, Ally's (with a capital A) are always GM built, GM discretion, and GM run. The advantage represents them having Your allegiance. Treat it nicely
>>
>>55339886
>>55339933
He's probably talking about the Shoulder Dragon from DF5: Allies that clocks in as a 31-point Ally.
>>
>>55339951
Nine points, actually. The [31] includes a bunch of granted abilities like ER, Flight, and a Special Rapport.
>>
>>55339563
Not him, but that galley slave example is a spot-on why making those advantages exotic is highly arbitrary.
>>
>>55340004
Being a galley slave is more than just arm strength, though. I'd assume a lot of it is in the core and back muscles. If you look at people rowing, they do so with their entire body.

A human with Arm ST would be a gym rat that only does bench presses and avoids so much as walking up stairs. That would be unique enough to require UB/SE as noted.
>>
>>55339868
My character was an ex-inkeep, quite well read and is a good outdoors person from living in the woods.

>>55339886
I'm looking for sort of newborn-dragon ish. Maybe decent in combat, but I'm not expecting anything crazy. I'm not sure I need Minion as my character loves this thing so I don't think she would treat him badly.
>>
>>55340223
To give you a TL;DR backstory -
>middle class/well educated ne'er do well
>inherits an inn in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in the forest
>learns to hunt/gather to supplement food shipments
>wins a dragon egg in a bet
>spends all her free time reading books on how to hatch it
>one day leaves it unattended and a drunk patron throws it in the fire and pours alcohol on it
>inn burns down
>dragon comes out and thinks character is it's mother
>on the run for insurance fraud
>>
>>55340367
The scout in dungeon fantasy 1 is literally a 250/-50 heroic archer. And DF5 does have a model of a shoulder Dragon, but with a little cruft to make it more suitable as a wizard's familiar which you may or may not want to remove. Not sure if DF10's innkeeper might have a cross training lens to be a scout/innkeeper, but it is also a good thing to look at probably.
>>
>>55340450
Thanks. Those were the first places I looked, unfortunately no innkeeper lens but I can use some ideas. I'm just trying to make sure I don't miss anything for synergy with my ally. I think i will take Animal Enpathy, and Talk to Animals to communicate with it, plus Special Rapport.
>>
>>55340105
Technically bench press is a chest exercise.. but those muscles articulate and stabilize the arms, so I suppose?

That's the real problem with Arm ST/Lifting ST, ect. for humans. Most muscle groups stabilize and support other groups and most common exercises work many muscle groups at once. Rowing properly uses muscles in the legs, back, belly, chest, shoulders and arms.
>>
>>55265077
Because I'm a chronic smartass, I'm going to assume here that the background is at least TL10, but the player characters all have the 15-point delusion "I live in a medieval-ish world where the highest technology is crucible steel, but it's one in which magic is real and some people can use it."

Most characters using "magic" in your setting are actually just using the Computer Operation/TL10 skill, which defaults to IQ-4. The femtobots respond to their commands, to do simple things, simple, limited, pre-created "spells." These are the people with Magery 0 and one point each in four or five moderately useful spells, the dabblers. They might be able to tell the femtobots to pick up and move objects up to a certain limited mass, or turn the lights on or off in this area.

A small number of people who have an unusual capacity for abstract thought and who have studied "the mysteries" are using the Computer Programming/TL10 skill which is IQ/Hard and has no default. These people also roll against Language:TL10 Femtobot Control Language when trying to create new powers and effects that aren't on the standard list, or trying to create or learn a "new spell."

The really dangerous "hidden masters" also have Computer Hacking/TL10 and can do things like take control of someone else's femtobot swarm. These particular individuals don't have to be intelligent, genre savvy, and HIGHLY dangerous, but they will probably tend to be, and if it comes down to "magical" combat they will be horrifically swift and deadly opponents, no-selling most "magical" attacks and bouncing them back against their senders, if not just suborning everyone else's femtobot swarms and turning their foes into "grey goo," right here, right now, possibly with a destructive brain upload which will allow them to learn all their now-deceased foes' secrets too, to add insult to injury.

Presumably "daemons" (AI) exist in this setting also, and automatically fall into the "hidden master" category.
>>
How do agents of the infinity patrol travel to alternate worlds in infinite worlds? Teleportation? Vehicle? Explain.
>>
>>55344161
Bruh this is all spelled out for you in the basic set.
>>
>>55344161
Sometimes they teleport.
Sometimes they teleport vehicles.

There, explained.
>>
>>55344266
that, and see also https://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-362167.html

There's a machine called a "parachronic projector." It's a ray gun that zaps stuff it's pointed at to another parallel world. There is also a machine called a "parachronic conveyor," which can be as small as a motorcycle--maybe even smaller, for automated drones used as probes--or as big as a semi trailer truck. You get in it, press the buttons (beep beep boop) and drive to another world. Please don't open the door and jump out before you arrive at your destination. Our scientists don't know what happens when people do that but they're pretty sure it's bad.

There is also magic that can do this stuff, or even create portals, but it is, obviously extremely rare. Some psychics can do this stuff too--a tiny number of them.
>>
I'm thinking about running a GURPS campaign.
Never really looked into the system before.

I was wondering, what do you guys recommend? 4th ed. or 3rd? 3rd seems to be more mature, and it has a few settings/rulesets that I think I might like to take advantage of. Is there anything that might compel me to use 4th?
>>
>>55346497
3rd has more splats, true, but 4th is a slightly improved system and it's not that hard to convert 3E books to 4E.
>>
>>55346497
4th is a straight mechanical upgrade of 3rd. It's not like D&D where the system reinvents itself every edition and just slaps the old name on for marketing reasons.

Also, the best part of those 3e books was always the background info or fluff, not the mechanics. What mechanics there are (mostly in the form of statblocks) have either been updated to 4e in a modern splat or can be easily converted with the free 4e character updater PDF that SJGames put out.

Read the Basic Set (especially Campaigns). Read How to Be a GURPS GM. Read Action 2: Exploits for some tricks to simplifying your game.

What kind of campaign were you planning on?
>>
Did the new DF Encounters book show up anywhere? I checked the OP but didn't see it.
>>
>>55346497
I will say that if you're having trouble reading 4th, switch to 3rd. The basic mechanics haven't changed, and 3e is actually laid out with the intention of people reading and understanding it who have never played GURPS before
>>
File: tumblr_ohv5mflPrc1s99l3wo1_1280.jpg (349KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohv5mflPrc1s99l3wo1_1280.jpg
349KB, 1000x1414px
Would GURPS be a good system for a setting that mixes the tones of Warframe, Destiny, and Dishonored? I'm bandying about as to which system to use, and at the moment I'm tied between a PBtA hack, Savage Worlds, or GURPS.
>>
>>55347159
Heroic sci-fi / fantasy? You could do it in GURPS without much trouble, though it sounds like quite a complex brew.
>>
>>55347159
Too much stupid cinematic game-mechanical shit, would not bang.
Use ptba
>>
>>55348567
PbtA really only shines in games where the focus is on RP drama (especially inner-party drama) and there are narrative archetypes to follow.

Instead, I recommend homebrew based of Legends of Wulin. It's crunchy and combat-focused while also being loose enough that insane stunts don't slow the game down at all.
>>
>>55346586
>Also, the best part of those 3e books was always the background info or fluff, not the mechanics
But the crunch will still work with 4e?

>What kind of campaign were you planning on?
I was thinking a historical setting. Maybe late Republican Rome? I dunno. I need to put out some feelers to my friends to see what they think about that one.
>>
>>55349752
There tends to not be a lot in terms of crunch. What little there is can be easily converted or even still used right out the box.
>>
>>55312783
So do I, but I've kind of begun to favour Incantation Magic for the flexibility of RPM without the insane book keeping.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.