[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 402
Thread images: 31

File: king_dwarf_by_batmib-d37redy.jpg (402KB, 539x759px) Image search: [Google]
king_dwarf_by_batmib-d37redy.jpg
402KB, 539x759px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55223746

What's the best death an adventurer can hope to achieve?
>>
>>55233496
Depends on the adventurer.
>remembered as a matyr, self secrifice
>die with honour, in a duel
>die swiftly
>die peacefully, after retirement in their own home at night
>>
>>55233496
>What's the best death an adventurer can hope to achieve?
GLORIOUS ORC SLAYING
>>
>>55233496
Any adventurer that plans to die is an adventurer I'd rather not adventure with!
>>
>>55233496
All my character's achieve immortality at some point, so I couldn't tell you.
>>
File: Vecna4e.jpg (278KB, 600x905px) Image search: [Google]
Vecna4e.jpg
278KB, 600x905px
>>55233496
>What's the best death an adventurer can hope to achieve?
Undeath.
>>
File: Gulp.jpg (34KB, 650x262px) Image search: [Google]
Gulp.jpg
34KB, 650x262px
>player making a new character because his previous got zip zap zoomed by a Beholder
>level 7
>Bugbear
>Fighter
>Tunnel Fighting fighting style
>Champion archetype
>Polearm Master feat
>Sentinel feat
>Halberd

it is time
>>
>>55233675
>actually being allowed to use Tunnel Fighting
Is your DM diagnosed yet?
>>
>>55233687
he lets UA until he sees it being stupid firsthand

for example, Lore Wizard and Mystic are both off the table rn for different reasons
>>
I have an idea for a short plot I want to pass by you guys: an 'infant' god whose domain is effectively rangers/hunting. He's been hunting down Evil people in secret, causing them to vanish without a trace (because he takes the form of an enormous owl and whisks them away before draining their life force as his own sustenance).
The hook is that a community has people vanishing irregularly at night but they don't know why and it scares the shit out of them. Any possible encounter ideas would be helpful.
>At night, the group sets bait in the form of a convicted death sentence criminal and sees the monster for themselves
>Tracking the beast to its home and overcoming the various obstacles he places in their way
>Finding the area where he buries the withered remains of his prey- perhaps they come to life and fight the party
>When they get to his nest, they're the ones in trouble once night falls
>>
>>55233785
How are they gonna know it only goes after evil people?
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 723x1200px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 723x1200px
>players got bamboozled by some fallen angels of Tyr and Sune
>they think they're on a holy crusade for good
>the angels essentially sent them to destroy a barrier blocking travel from the Supreme Throne to everything else and to recover the Cyrinnishad from its burial
>they are completely oblivious

BORN TO LIE
LATHANDER IS A FAG
Kill Em All 1385
I am mad man
410,757,864,530 DEAD MYSTRAS
>>
>>55233919
They don't. I only mention that particular aspect because the god would use it as partial justification for his abhorrent method of eating. He's not planned to be Good, either, I was thinking he would be closer to Lawful Neutral.
>>
>>55233496
Best death is usually a silly situation, because no one gets mad after it and everyone knows you died because you were stupid.
>>
>>55233700
> 2017
> still banning Mystic
>>
>>55233974
you know, you made me think of something

how would you even go about roleplaying a now-mortal deity, like say Cyric?

would their personality just evoke their portfolio heavily?
>>
>>55234221
>STOP BANNING MY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE CLASS THAT LETS ME BE OVERPOWERED!
>WAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>55234221
mystic is terribly fucking designed and balanced and unless your DM is willing to basically do the 5e designers job for them they should ban the class
>>
>>55234221
I am banning it because
1. It is significantly better than most other classes, especially because it is ridiculously frontloaded, and has versatility no other class can match
2. The faggots that want to play it are insufferable cunts, who I cant trust to play it properly.

I have literally not met a single player who didn't fuck it up. Either they constantly whine when they aren't the centre of attention, start PvPing if someone outshines them too much, and constantly tries to bend the rules, and will complain for up to an hour because of a retarded ruling (I SHOULD BE ABLE TO MELT THE MINDS OF EVERYONE NEAR ME WITHOUT THEM KNOWING I DID IT LELELELELELEL)

I would rather play with a group full of "Chaotic Neutral" murder sociopaths, than play with mystic fags. They attract the worst sort of players in existence.
>>
>>55234381
> Mystic
> Overpower
Thanks for showing to us that you have 0 system mastery.

>>55234476
Mystic is easier to balance around than a freaking vanilla Wizard

Seriously, it's like you guy never actually play in a game (or at least a meaningful campaign) and only complaining on the internet forum.
>>
>Ranger (Revised)
>Advantage on Initiative Rolls
>Bard x2
>Half proficiency bonus on Initiative
>Alert Feat
>20 Dex
>+11 - +13 on Initiative with Advantage

A-am I OP yet guys?
>>
>>55234506
>le wizard is broken meme

sure, its a strong class bud, but they aren't 3.pf gods
>>
>>55234496
It's only better than martial. Proficiency in every skill seem nice, but /5eg/ is the one that been preaching "proficiency doesn't matter in 5e" and in reality it doesn't match the power of bard + enhance ability.

For second points, that is your own fault for allowing pvp in 5e. The system isn't build for it and you should have laid the "no pvp rule" since session 0. And the same player could achieve the same result with subtle spell sorcerer anyway.
>>
God damn, I just hit level 4, and Arcane Trickster is probably the most fun I have ever had playing 5e.

However, I have a question: I started with 18 Dex, 15 Int. I dont really have any spells that care about INT right now, but:

Should I cap my Dex now, go for some INT, or should I maybe grab myself Ritual Caster?

GM banned MCing for this game (he wants to teach a lesson to two of the players in the group) so cannot MC wizard. That's a problem, because the only other caster than me, is a Sorcerer. We have no ritual casters right now.

I kinda want to grab it, and get some use out of the many spell books we find. Is it a bad idea? Is there enough good wizard ritual spells to make it worth the feat?

I kinda want it as soon as possible, if at all.
>>
>>55234506
>t. Mystic player

Nah man, Wizards are super well balanced, and so easy to work around. They are actually fairly weak!

>t. Wizard player
>>
Has anyone had any experience with the epic boons in the DMG?
>>
>>55234517
>plays scout rogue
psh.
>>
>>55234506
ok then do it and post it somewhere, thanks, too lazy to do it myself. much easier to ban it
>>
>>55234531
You are retarded if you think their versatility is not incredibly good.

For the second point, I didn't allow it, but he tried to, and spend a solid 2 hours before someone else left. He stayed until we forcibly made him fuck off.

Ans the PvP was 1 guy out of 12. The others were just as bad.

You faggots are the most insufferable assholes alive, and you will not back down from an argument about the strengths of your pet class, so I am not even going to bother continuing this thread derailment you are probably hoping for.
>>
>>55234544
>MCing

im sorry, i may be having a brain fart, but what?
>>
>>55234595
Multi classing.

Someone went with some really stupid builds, and the GM did not appreciate it, suffice to say.
>>
>>55234531
there's some annoying shit too, like how the Avatar archetype has a feature that requires that you take an Immortal discipline to get any use out of it. or how every Mystic is going to take that feature because it has Free Revivify + Healing + Restoration. or yeah, how Nomadic Mind has the borderline useless 2psi discipline since refocusing is free

i really like Mystic, it's just so clunky that i'd want to wait to see what they do to make it less clunky before i fuck around with it
>>
File: nuclear warlord.png (42KB, 628x173px) Image search: [Google]
nuclear warlord.png
42KB, 628x173px
Reminder that the real power of Mystic is as support.
>>
>>55233747
Take a look at the Green Dragon lair actions. Obviously, your lair might be different, but I'd say that it's warranted that the Green Dragon uses similar stuff for traps. Fog, vines, brushes, roots.

Green dragons are schemers and plan ahead. Therefore, your dragon already has traps installed and maybe only needs to arm those if at all.

My suggestion is to think of something that would be inconvenient to his enemies and perhaps his minions, but not to the dragon itself. Like a maze floor obscured by dense, impenetrable fog. The dragon simply flies to the other side. Everyone else has to walk the maze and either from roots that weren't there a second ago, simply step into emptiness, slip from irregularly narrow sections that have smoothed edges or be grabbed by sentient vines from below.

Or a steep tunnel that needs to be ascended or descended by climbing vines that are latched to the ceiling since the floor is nothing but razor sharp rocks. Only some of those vines are poisonous, thorny or even sentient and man-eating. Party members could lose grip or simply grab a bad vine and fall into the rocks. These could either be deadly or damaging and the others need to rescue them from their predicament.

To get revenge on the druid, have a hostage. Make it a super cute dryad or something. Have her being bound by a dormant geas and trapped in a cage covered in runes. Opening the cage without disarming the magical trap activates the geas and compels the dryad to destroy her own tree, which is put into the same room for convenience (make it obvious that the tree got teleported to its current location). To increase the insult, think of bits of information about the druid the dragon could have gathered before. Make the dryad deliver a message. For nightmare mode, make it so that the magic trap on the cage is the device that keep the geas at bay. So there's no way to free her without cursing her.
>>
>>55234544
Wizard ritual spells are good (some game-breakingly so), I'd go for it. With 18 DEX you are already on curve for that.
>>
>>55233496
So I take it there is no UA this week?
>>
>>55234527
Mystic is completely broken meme. Only has access to the equiv of level 5 spells, only attack, burns through psi points quickly.

I play a Awakened mystic with some nomad disciplines for option filler and he isn't OP.
>>
>>55234616
Hey, at least it's not that homebrew psychic class that literally healed better than the cleric and did more damage than the sorcerer with all the versatility of a wizard.
>>
>>55234724
>only one attack
>>
>>55234676
Average of like 325 damage assuming all hit and zero crits. And you can disarm or knock them down with six of the attacks.
>>
>>55234517
Playing first is awesome, but you spent ASI and three levels to get where you are. I don't think that is OP.
>>
>>55233700
Why did your DM ban Lore Wizard?

I agree that the archetype is a bit too strong for current game balance, but if a player is willing to work with the DM on balancing the class as they go along, I think I'd work out fine.

Hell, I'm playing a Half-Elf Lore Wizard right now after being stuck as forever DM for the past 8 years and the only change we've made so far is that the save throw changing option is once per long rest versus once per short or long rest.

Yeah, the level 14 ability is probably busted OP too, but that is also fixed by confining it to any/all Wizard, Sorcerer, and Warlock spell lists.
>>
>>55234802
In my experience nerfing a class to let a player play it just leads to them making snarky comments all the time.

"Uhh, if I still had x then I could do it"
>>
>>55234819
I don't usually say this, but that's grounds for getting kicked.
>>
>>55234275
Now-mortal deity? Wat.
>>
>>55234544
A friend is playing that class as well, what makes it so fun?
>>
>>55234544
>God damn, I just hit level 4, and Arcane Trickster is probably the most fun I have ever had playing 5e.

What the hell had you been playing before?

I played one until 7, and was bored to hell.
>>
>>55234836
A god who's been stripped of his godly powers, I'm guessing.
>>
Hey dudes. Want to play a warlock, and know dick-all about deities to make a deal with. General pointers on doing a lock?
>>
>>55234819
Uhh... What? What kinds of players do you have in your group? A good DM (and a good player) work together to make the game function smoothly and fit within the balance of the game.

Sure, people may want to be katana wielding super edgy kitsune waifu assholes who do the whole *teleports behind you* shit, but if they are a GOOD player they tone that down by a few (hundred) degrees and turn then into something like a Tiefling Rogue Assassin or Warlock Hexblade GOO patron. Still edgy and can still teleport around with a cool sword, but functions within the rules of the game.

Though if someone was being a count about not being able to play as their kitsune waifu edgelord assassin, then I'd tell them to not join this game I'm running and go look for another group.
>>
>>55234875
First off, 'locks don't make deals with deities.

You make deals with just about anything else strong enough, though.
>>
>>55234275
Depends on the deity honestly. Some would be super prideful and take constant servings of humble pie as they're introduced to the harsh reality of the world, some would be more humble from the getgo and marvel at all the new experiences they have now like hunger and fatigue, others would tread a middleground and find everything really fucking confusing and just struggle to understand how everything works and where they fit into stuff now.

Could honestly be a really fucking good character if done well
>>
>>55234875
What do you want the Warlock to do? Be a blaster mage? Some sort of sword and sorcery fellow? Maybe a person with a familiar that acts as a scout?

There's lots of options for making one and a patron to call yours.
>>
>>55234688
>some game-breakingly so
What?

Wizard here, which ones are we talking about here?
>>
>>55234913
Pretty much I've played just a shitload of "good" characters. Paladins, warriors and all that. Character wise, I think it'd be cool to write a character that seems very good to people, but is master of some sort of cult behind closed doors. That hiding in plain sight stuff.
>>
>>55234928
Tiny hut is the one I always promise my DM to not abuse.
>>
>>55233560
this.
>>
>>55234688
Cool, I'll do that then. My stats should not suffer too much with the additional ASI anyway, and we barely ever stop a campaign pre-18.

I also liked the prospect of getting higher level spells, even if only as rituals. And my GM has on more than 1 occasion allowed certain spells to be cast as a Ritual, despite not having the tag (Shatter being the most important one to date.), so it would be a good supplement to the magic utility he has.
>>
File: JEJ.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
JEJ.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
How do you handle retired PC's in your games?

Are they still active in the world / Can they still level up over time, perform feats of intrigue, study their profession, make money, etc.

I currently have two of my players soft-retiring their PC's. They are moving them back home to the groups HUB (Tresender Mansion from LmoP). They are both level 7.

These players are rolling new PC's to join the current party. In short, the players took over the Red Brands, turned them into a Mercenary group that protects the village instead of bullying it. This is the way in for their Alts.

However, the players still want to be somewhat active with their Retired-PC's. The Wizard wants to focus on Alchemy and Spells, also permanency spells for the Mansion. The Fighter/Artificer Multi-class wants to focus on his blacksmithing and tinkering.

These players want to provide support for their "Faction" while the main adventuring group proceed to travel.

How would you personally handle this? Have you had Players control "NPC's" in the past? NPC's or retired-PC's that indirectly worked for their new groups? Opinions?

I'm currently 50/50, I like the idea and the initiative. I'm willing to allow them to expand their faction on the down-low and to provide support, but I'm also somewhat cautious with the multi-tasking and it affecting the directive of the other players.

As a note, the other players are currently supporting the idea, they see it as a bonus since they also reap the awards of having two spellcasters sitting idle at home playing politics and expanding.

Thoughts?
>>
>>55234843
Arcane Tricksters have by for the most options for solving any given issue.

I have played a wizard, and it always boiled down to what I had on my spell list. That's... great in its own way, but gets rather stale and predictable.
>I am faced with a problem, better throw magic at it!

Fighter was fun because of the many combat manoeuvres, but quickly became a program
>If X, use A
>Else, if Y, Use B
>Else use C

It had tools for most situations, but it was always the same tool, if that makes sense.

An Arcane Trickster has a million options.

>infiltrate this manor
>I can either:
>Sneak in the mundane way
>Go invisible and walk past them
>Convince the guards I am allowed inside
>Become a guard to get inside
>Befriend the (evil) owner to get inside
>Pickpocket a key to get inside
>Mage hand shenanigans to open windows that should have been locked

I am not sure if the class just inspires me a lot more than the others, but I just always see a wealth of options as this class, which I never did as the other two.
>>
File: 319749024531873792.png (7KB, 74x96px) Image search: [Google]
319749024531873792.png
7KB, 74x96px
>>55234836

Basically what >>55234868 said. Instead of having Cyric in time out for 1000 years, I had the backstory as Tyr, Sune, and Lathander kill Cyric for murdering Mystra then banish his essence to the Supreme Throne with Ao's permission so he may not reform and continue causing problems. Afterwards they put a ward on the domain so he could not escape.

Through convoluted means, the only way Cyric could escape was to essentially force himself into a mortal vessel. Through this vessel he plans to achieve divine power again by gaining worship on his own and not through Ao's choosing.

This requires the players to destroy that ward so his mortal vessel can leave. Through manipulation, the players have caused his "rebirth" and are on the path to freeing him as well.

Midnight is in a similar state. After her murder, many of the deities pleaded with Ao for her rebirth. Instead, he compromised by reviving her as a mortal stripped of the divine and chose a new Mystra.
>>
>>55234944
>game breaking
>Tiny hut
...is there some shenanigans here I am not aware of?
>>
>>55235068
It's a very quick to deploy fortress that's impregnable by anyone without dispel. Especially with 5e's movement rules, you can just walk out, make an attack/cast a spell (possibly using the bubble itself as cover), walk back in.
>>
>>55235154
That only works if the GM doesn't 'ready' attacks.
>>
>>55235154
>Quick to deploy

It has a 1 minute casting time.

Also, the caster can't leave the bubble once it gets made, otherwise it goes away. Also, no spells can be cast through the bubble from either side, so the caster is basically stuck in there twiddling his thumbs and maybe providing support via buff spells. Finally, the bubble can't move, so the PCs are stuck rotating in/around that bubble for the next 8 hours or so.

But if your DM lets you cast that spell for an in-combat scenario, you probably need a new DM or need every little advantage you're gonna get to survive that encounter.
>>
Anyone know if there are resources for roll 20 for out of the abyss? They have nothing to for purchase and I cant seem to find anything good online. My group wanted to run this but we might just settle for tales from the yawning portal if we can't find anything.
>>
>>55235202
The idea is to deply it before combat. It's intended for resting 8 hours, but it's better used as a ridiculously cheap siege.

Cast touch spells through the familiar. Resummon it while inside if needed. Works extra well at low levels with a chain pact warlock.

Use summoned creatures. Possibly use Animated Objects, but take care not to have more than 9 creatures inside.

And, as you've said, buff stuff. If shit takes that long, you can just resummon the dome too, rest up and regain your spells.

There's a lot the wizard can do from inside, and his allies aren't limited in similar ways. And there's basically nothing your opponents can do against it, aside from hoping you run out of pearls or getting a wizard of their own who can dispel (who is now at a huge disadvantage because he just dispel'd from a 3rd level slot, wasting it on a no-slot ritual and more importantly, his action, just so he can engage et all).

>>55235189
Ready needs a trigger. Even if entirely surrounded "if somebody comes out of the dome, I attack" will only trigger about half the guys there, on account of the other half not being able to see you because the dome block line of sight and effect. There's ways to play around in it, too, like putting invis on whoever goes out. Plus they can't ready spells at you, or they are lost if you just stay put.
>>
How do we fix the Champion ? I was thinking of making his 3rd level crit 18-20 and giving him one of the Weapon Mastery feats for free.
>>
File: wewtrump.png (271KB, 726x587px) Image search: [Google]
wewtrump.png
271KB, 726x587px
>>55235394
>Champion needs fixing
>18-20 crit that early

Is this bait?
>>
>>55233496

My DM is thinking about nerfing repelling blast so that it only affects certain sizes of creatures. When I think about it for a while like say you have a tarrasque or something, it seems pretty weird that a cantrip can move it 10 ft with each beam with no saving throws or anything.

Can you guys justify why it shouldn't be nerfed? It seems odd that they wouldn't specify in the PHB certain size limits if it wasn't their intention for the blast to push any creature...
>>
>>55235394
Champion's problem is he could use some interesting mechanic to use in battle, not his power.

>>55235425
>Can you guys justify why it shouldn't be nerfed
No, I nerf it. Certain large creatures only move half the distance, certain are immune.
>>
>>55235068
Ahh tiny hut.

My GM had a bunch of savages try a capture of my Bard, but I erected a dome before they caught up to me.

GM reminded me of the duration, and I reminded him of my 4 slots. As it was falling off, I recast it. I created goodberries to keep me fed forever, and the GM couldn't do anything to stop me.

I still lost the character. To this day, 40 years later, the character is sitting in his dome, eating berries, watching the primitive savages build a mudhut village around the hut, and laughing at them every time something falls apart and someone gets hurt. He is a high elf, so he very much enjoys watching them spend so much time on a petty issue they likely forgot about a long time ago. He probably could escape, even with the 3 guards always keeping watch, but he enjoys watching the petty vengeance of lesser species.
>>
>>55235314
>Even if entirely surrounded "if somebody comes out of the dome, I attack" will only trigger about half the guys there, on account of the other half not being able to see you because the dome block line of sight and effect.
Yeah, but that's much better than "walk out, hit, walk back in".

>Plus they can't ready spells at you, or they are lost if you just stay put.
The DM doesn't have to tell you what actions the creatures ready.

>And there's basically nothing your opponents can do against it
The opponents can walk out of sight. The opponents can call for reinforcements. The opponents can piss on the hemisphere's surface. The opponents can coat it with other, nastier stuff either to inflict damage on leaving people or simply obscure vision. The opponents can insult the players and deal emotional damage. The opponents can siege and (literally) wall in the players over time.
>>
>>55235394
We fix champion by playing battlemaster.

Champion isn't weak, it is just boring.

Honestly, champion should be removed from the game. 19-20 crit should be for all fighters at level 17. Extra martial archetype should be for all fighters at level 13.

PHB fighter classes should be Knight, Battlemaster, and EK.

This brings the power level of fighters up while getting rid of the shitty champion fighter.
>>
>>55235535
Nah, sometimes you just want to hit things and not think about much. This is why we still need the champion, it's still a good class.
>>
>>55235535
>19-20 crit should be for all fighters at level 17
>This brings the power level of fighters up

Barely. Hardly anybody plays at that tier.
>>
>>55235513
>The DM doesn't have to tell you what actions the creatures ready.
As a GM, I feel like I have to chime in here, and say you are a fucking scumbag and a dirt tier GM not worth playing with, if you abuse the rules like this.

And what's the fucking problem here? It is a safe zone, nothing else. In no situation is this a problem. If you give them a minute to make the dome, you can:
1. Leave them alone. It is the explicit purpose of the spell
2. Let them have the advantage they got by using it intelligently against a certain type of enemy.
Otherwise dont let them make the dome in the first place.

Wanting to nerf its one and only purpose, would be like giving all enemies access to the shield spell, just to fuck over the evocation wizard who likes focusing on magic missile. You are being a cunt and a terrible GM.

The only time it is worth doing this kind of bullshit, is when you actively want the players to leave and/or hate you.
>>
>>55235566
Extra martial archetype at level 13 is still there. Also, fighters especially fall off late game.

I would also thing that maybe fighters would benefit from 19-20 crit at level 9 replacing indomitable, then upgrading to 18-20 at lvl 13 then 17-20 at 17. Either way would be nice
>>
>>55235513
>Yeah, but that's much better than "walk out, hit, walk back in".
Sure, and needs the dome to be surrounded. You could even position the dome so that's impossible, or at least highly improbable.

Hell, now that I think about it, your characetrs could even just tunnel out, if it's on soft ground.

Considering you literally cast the spell already and now are just holding onto it, yes he damn well has to tell me "you see the caster mumble and wave his hands around" (unless it casts without those I guess, which is sort of a "fuck you") which, at the very least, should be enough for an arcana check to see that he's casting (also, unless you have enough casters to surround the dome, again, you can just walk out the other way so he can't cast at you).

>The opponents can walk out of sight.
So we can take potshots while they walk away and they leave us to our devices, awesome.

>The opponents can call for reinforcements.
And we can leave before they arrive and redeploy somewhere else.

> The opponents can piss on the hemisphere's surface.
... okay? The players can push their shit out I guess, in response.

>The opponents can coat it with other, nastier stuff either to inflict damage on leaving people or simply obscure vision.

Take a stick and scrape it off from the inside as they apply it. Feel free to laugh at their efforts while doing so.

>The opponents can insult the players and deal emotional damage.
I guess if sound travels, the players can insult back. That's actually a way to deal damage from inside the sphere, neat!

> The opponents can siege and (literally) wall in the players over time.
While being harassed by them? We re talking about a party with a 5th level wizard in it. They can harass them to death before it gets built.
>>
>>55235394
>the way to fix Champion is to make it a mandatory pick for literally every single Paladin and most other classes

Champion is pretty alright, balance-wise. The issue is that it's mind-numbingly boring. The way to improve it is to make it more mechanically interesting, which kind of goes against the idea of Champion.
>>
>GM urges us to not play VHuman or he will make sure it comes with in-game penalties
>Makes a half elf because eh.
>Rest of the party makes Vhumans
>Everything regarding combat and important places is in the dark, either because of damp caverns where light sources are difficult to keep active, or because light will instantly aggro a large horde of monsters who hates light. >Alternatively because the enemies always tried to put out our light sources first.

>I am the only one who isnt auffering from permanent disadvantage.

Oh boy that SS Fighter sure is looking effective right now! xd

I think min/maxing is some kind of mental disease. You can even be told you are going to face severe penalties and disadvantages because of the choice, but they do it anyway. It is amazing to watch these kinds of people just fail so spectacularly at common sense.

I would not be surprised if these people got the Darwin award at some point in their life.
>>
Do all Goliaths just not have hair?
>>
File: hitchcock.jpg (12KB, 350x296px) Image search: [Google]
hitchcock.jpg
12KB, 350x296px
>>55235717
What if I just like humans but think default human is boring as fuck?

Also

>implying half-elf isn't also incredibly strong
>>
>>55235717
Your DM sounds like weak willed faggot. Ban them or roll with it, but being passive aggressive cunt is shitty.

I especially hate how he punishes them for not having darkvision - reason why i would never play human or dragonborn is exactly this, even if i'd strongly prefer playing human story-wise.
>>
>>55235681
Or how about just leave it to those who just want to pick the class up to hit things?
>>
Question about UA revised path of the ancestral guardian barb:

Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level,
spectral warriors appear when you enter your
rage. These warriors distract a foe you strike and
hinder its attempts to harm your companions.
While you’re raging, the first creature you hit
with an attack on your turn becomes the target
of the warriors. Until the start of your next turn
or until your rage ends, that target has
disadvantage on any attack roll that doesn’t
target you, and creatures other than you have
resistance to the damage of the target’s attacks.

Do I lose the resistance from rage against the creature i attack, or is it just saying that my resistance isn't applied twice?
>>
My experience so far with my fresh off the boat DM and party:
>My DM is starting to dislike Variant Human because of me

>Starts giving our party shit because we keep using spare the dying

>Next game "nerfs" spare the dying to require 100 gold

>Teach party how to use medicine skill check

> DM is angry at how "easy" it is to pick people up

>Gets mad at me because I always position to flank for advantage

Great times, also monks are fun. Can Monks move in between flurry of blow hits?
>>
>>55235857
Why is your DM such a little bitch.

Damn straight monks are fun.

>Can Monks move in between flurry of blow hits?
Yes. You need to flurry of blows your DM in the face.
>>
>>55235857
> DM is angry at how "easy" it is to pick people up

He's entirely correct to do so, it's way too hard to keep players down without killing them outright. He sounds like he's being a cunt about it though.

>Gets mad at me because I always position to flank for advantage

He either shouldn't have used that optional rule, or should have turned on the more strict movements from previous editions.
>>
>>55235756
This guy is right, there needs to be a class that retards can play
>>
>>55236069
>t. autistic retard who doesn't like it when people have fun.
>>
>>55235856
Rage gives you resistance to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing damage.

This feature gives your allies resistance to all damage from the creature but you retain just your regular B,P,S resistance.
>>
>>55235950
You plebian, check this out.

Our party has casters whom can cast healing word, now healing word is a weak spell and becomes shit after secound level if you use it to regain HP and stay alive after something scores a hit. But, if you use it to stabilise someone it becomes very powerful.

You see any amount of healing gets you up from death saves and back to action. The amount of health you have does not matter, regardless of spell you spend to heal the target it will get one-shooted, you can't heal enough HP if the encounter is scaled normal to high for your level, so 1 HP or 25 makes no fucking difference.

Now since you have 1-4 HP you are back in the fight and have an aproximated 2 rounds to live, and that is enough for the fight to end. Because as a group we used this a lot we together with the DM house ruled that every time we stabilise by healing the charachter healed gets one level of exaustion.
>>
>>55236117
It allmost happened one dude died from exaustion,it is funny how only way to remove it is strong magic or long rests. We never used that part of the system before, and now from time to time the DM adds it to some monster or potion/spell/item.
>>
>>55236102
Maybe you would find finger painting more fun than D&D. Peekaboo maybe?
>>
>>55236117
It's your DM's fault for not continuing to try to drop the downed PC, you fucker.
>>
>>55236130
Don't shit on other people's fun just because you're a no-friend, no-fun allowed severe autist.
>>
>>55236117
Parties that rely on this tend to end up being massive damage gibbed by high damage monsters.
>>
>>55236143
It is okay, I will bring some bubble wrap for you to play with while you wait for the grown ups to finish their turns.
>>
>>55236133
/tg/,
/tg/ never changes
>>
>>55236150
Playing by yourself is sad, buddy. Who are you to dictate what is fun for other people.
>>
>>55236144
We have enough casters to retreat and ensure half of the party at worst survives. Like I understand what you are trying to say, if we attack something that deals more than 1 + 1/2 our HP we will get roasted, lucky for us that could only happen on a random encounter, for we gather information about the bosses, not just run like morons to point B from point A.
>>
>>55235681
>Champion is pretty alright, balance-wise. The issue is that it's mind-numbingly boring.

The issue is that it's boring and also still worse than BM. I wouldn't mind boring if it was at least on par with it, but Champion's unique "boost" barely does anything for it.
>>
>>55236179
Still your DM's fault for not swarming you.
Does he even use natural environmental hazards or traps?
>>
I want to redefine the feats we use, edit/remove shitty ones and add some fun stuff that open more game options. So far I have only done combat related feats, will add general and magical feats when I have time. If anyone has some cool homebrewn feats to share please do, I'm open to new shit.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FOG_SWangULGjS-X-uI8U5BKth5b2gg5xypQHO_SkTA/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>55236182
It's meant for newbs, you know for those who haven't picked up an RPG at all. It's okay for you not to enjoy it, but for other people who may not have played RPGs at all, it's something extremely quick and easy to get into. Then they can play something else if they want.
>>
>>55236208
Which part of "I don't mind that it's boring" do you not get?
>>
>>55236225
Which part of you prefacing the issue by saying it's boring and also still worse than the BM do you not get?
>>
2 weeks to ToA, who is hyped?
>>
>>55236192
He is a pretty good DM with lots of expirience, he once fucked us with 2 Hobgoblins shooting us from during the night. They used flaming arows to see us and kite us to hell. We managed to survive that only due to our Druid casting hide without trace and us running four our lives, as hobgoblins were in full range we could not get them, nor could they follow us.

His opponents have different tactics, and their complexity and efficiency is based on their INT. Only reason we survive his shit is because we come up with a good plan of escape, or a good counter strategy.

He does use hazards and traps, and he did swarm us and/or attacked those lying on the groud. If you hit a hero that is down gets 2 failed death saves, we position ourself well so he rarely gets a chance to do it. Thanks to the fighter who gets into opportunity attacks to clear the are so the knocked out guy could retreat after healing.
>>
>>55236245
... yes and? How does that result in
>It's meant for newbs, you know for those who haven't picked up an RPG at all. It's okay for you not to enjoy it, but for other people who may not have played RPGs at all, it's something extremely quick and easy to get into.
?

Do these guys need an option that is simpler and weaker too for some reason? Or do you mean they won't mind anyway because they can't tell? What the fuck is your point?
>>
>>55236206
>Skulker
Bad idea
>Tavern Brawler
Shit nigger what are you doing.
>>
>>55233974
>needing adventurers to do this when fallen angels are way more powerful
For what purpose
>>
>>55234506
The number of people in this general who have actually played Mystic can be counted without having to take off your socks.
>>
>>55236289
PMed the guy on discord a while back when we were tossing ideas back and forth, apparently the angels were trapped too. Only communication could be made through modified Sending or Scrying. Guess it was more of a "would've done it myself if I could" sort of thing.
>>
>>55236206
PAM - as if not it's not good enough. Even now it is practical must have feat for anyone not using polearm.

Tavern brawler - so that you can fight better with improvised weapons that dedicated ones?

These two points are enough for me to dismiss rest of your ideas as shit homebrew.
>>
>>55236282
You don't get that that's your fucking opinion, you autist. The champion's also a good class to learn about combat in 5e, for newbs.

And which part of "it's okay for you not to enjoy it", don't you get? This is simple English.
>>
Is there any suggestion out there for the Arcane Sygil of Strahd? You know, the one wizards usually work into their glyphs of warding and shit
>>
>>55236288
I know why you said that, yes the rouge could abuse it. But then what is the point of the feat, I will test it a bit before I decide.

Tavern Brawler
Rougs will abuse it right? Should I make the advantage be a bonus action or increase the damage, I want to make it more relevant for non monks.
>>
>>55236315
I said that it's more boring and weaker. Where the fuck does my opinion enter into it? I also said that you don't need to change the boring part, but there's no reason for it to be also weaker.

Why are you upset?
>>
>>55236328
Rogues can't abuse tavern brawler, because improvised weapons generally don't have Finesse property, neither are ranged.

The feat is fine as it is - it is not supposed to make you better at what you do - but to give you more options, which it does even in its current form.
>>
>>55236349
>I said that it's more boring and weaker. Where the fuck does my opinion enter into it?
Because this is your fucking opinion, you autist.
What are you measuring it in a whiteroom? Actual play and eyeballing the abilities do not correlate.

Why are you this upset?
>>
>>55236306
You are right about the brawler, makes no sense.

PAM works only on polearms my dude, I see no harm in using it since you can strike only once as it is a bonus action. I wanted the feat to work the way UA feats work.
>>
File: jackiechair.jpg (120KB, 1280x541px) Image search: [Google]
jackiechair.jpg
120KB, 1280x541px
>>55236357
>he can't finesse a chair
>>
>>55236370
>What are you measuring it in a whiteroom?

Did you mean "why"? Or did you mean what abilities I measure? Usually it's hard to direct compare abilities that do different things, but you can easily calculate that 5% chance to add your weapon's damage again vs. multiple damage dice you are guaranteed to use every short rest.

Another anon did it back when the game came out and IIRC the Champion needs 10-20 rounds (depending on level) of combat without any short rest to catch up to the BM's average damage, not counting effects.

>Why are you this upset?

Are you playing the "I was actually just pretending to be retarded, to troll you!" card right now, or are you seriously this childish?
>>
>>55236456
No, I mean "what, are you measuring it in a whiteroom?"

That still doesn't translate to actual play or translate any relevance at all, whiteroom theorizing is a completely irrelevant exercise because of how factors play out in actual play.

Why are you this severely autistic?
>>
>>55236456
When is the BM guaranteed a short rest? What if the DM completely and only uses long combats and doesn't allow short rests at all, which is the supposedly weaker class, you fantastically autistic retard.
>>
you both sound like retards
but champion is shittier desu
>>
>>55236501
Do 10-20 rounds of actual combat without any rest happen in your games fairly often? Because that is basically a whiteroom scenario.

>>55236523
Then they both die, because they can't recover HP without short rests and 10-20 rounds of combat will wear down even fullplate+shield fighters (which btw is a configuration that favors the battlemaster, since his extra damage is not tied to his weapon dice, plus his burst damage means he can probably kill more enemies without being killed himself).

Unless there's a scenario where your fighters are standing on one end of the chasm with inifnite arrows behind them and infinite orcs who can't hit them on the other end of the chasm, the BM will perform better.
>>
>>55236523
Now you are going to say what if he has feat x. This discussion is retarded, point is Battle Master deals more damage than Champion. It takes Champion 4-5 crits to catch-up to him, if we now assume no short rests exist, ever. People roll 19s and 20s offten?
>>
>>55236370
I agree with him, that Champion is weaker.
He deals +1[W] damage once every 20 attacks.

Battlemaster deals +1SD damage 4 times between short rests. When he feels like it and add something nice to the bonus damage as well.

Considering 11th level, 6 encounters a day, each lasting 5 rounds.

Champion makes (6*5*3)/20 crits more. That equals 4.5*[W] damage more
(6 encounters, 5 rounds, 3 attacks, 5% chance of bonus critical).

Battlemaster with one short rest have total of 10 superiority dice, each worth 1d10 damage. Battlemaster's bonus damage can be triggered when you need it and comes with additional effect. Battlemaster is clearly superior in damage dealing.

I admit champion has much nicer 7th level utility and 18th lvl "capstone". Second fighting style at level is probably reserved for defense, because you already took the one for your favorite weapon at 1st level. Still, very nice.

At 20, the difference probably wouldn't be that bad, but at 3rd level, champion is significantly weaker compared to BM.
>>
>>55236543
Where did you pull the 10-20 rounds from? Everyone can just make up numbers.
Again, combats vary immensely between DM and DM and group and group, tying it into a whiteroom scenario is completely irrelevant and autistic.

Yet the battlemaster won't necessarily have access to all available maneuvers because of their reliance on short rests, but the champion has resources that can proc if the dice gods are lucky.
>>
>>55236587
Again, combats vary immensely between DM and DM and group and group, tying it into a whiteroom scenario is completely irrelevant and autistic.

See if you're with a DM who won't allow any short rests and see what happens.

>>55236566
They can, it really depends in actual play and not in some autistic whiteroom theorizing scenario.
>>
>> 55236607 (You)
Nice bait, keep it up !
>>
>>55236629
>See if you're with a DM who won't allow any short rests and see what happens.

The fighters die. Before they die, the BM has the advantage. We already covered this.
>>
>>55236629
Yes I agree, but without white room you could say he does more damage on average. Sure that is not the case in all situations but generally it tends to happen that Battle Masters have a more stable damage output per round than Champions.
>>
>>55236638
Are you fucking retarded? This isn't discounting their party members, do you know what actual play is?
>>
>>55236646
Good point, but it truly does immensely vary depending on how the dice falls, and with the immensely swingy nature of the d20. You could entirely have situations where the champion keeps rolling those 19s.

And DMs don't necessarily play with short rests, its not a given resource unfortunately, in which case the battlemaster really needs to consider what resources to expend, unlike the champion who can get go all out every single combat encounter.
>>
>>55235755
He wanted to ban them, but then the shitstains threw a tantrum for 2 fucking hours until he satisfied their autism.

He likely wouldnt hace punished them that hard of they hadn't been faggots who took SS and GWM. Literally no sympathy for that kind of cancer.
>>
File: IMG_0701.jpg (213KB, 1612x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0701.jpg
213KB, 1612x900px
Does sharpshooter apply to thrown weapons as well?
>>
>>55236688
Why not just push the feat to level 4?

I homebrewed that shit to grant a feat at level 1 or 4, depending on what feat was chosen. Some of them was at level 1, while the combat feats (Primarily Sharpshooter, great weapon master, crossbow expert) was pushed to level 4. This means you still grt that additional feat, just not at level 1, where you have no business having it.

It also prevents people from being forced to take a feat, when they feel they need that weapon feat. So far, only a few turbo autists have complaining, and they generally get kicked out of the group before they hit level 4, for unrelated reasons (read: Turboautism, smells like shit, and generally acts like social interaction is an alien concept)
>>
File: Screenshot_1.jpg (26KB, 313x199px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.jpg
26KB, 313x199px
>>55236760
>>
>>55236812
Stop spoonfeeding them, faggot.
>>
>>55236812
>ranged weapons
>not thrown

Does this matter?
>>
What gives the best synergy between rogue and warlock? Swashbuckler or assassin and bladepact fiend? What level split? Which incantations?
>>
>>55236846
No.

A thrown weapon is still a ranged attack/weapon.

It is really fucking simple: Are you hitting things with a held weapon? Melee. Are you sending a projectile of any kind towards the enemy? Ranged.
>>
>>55236812
I actually find it hilarious that you dont need to be proficient to get half of the bonuses on the feat.

Like... no penalty to long range and ignore all but full cover. So my untrained wizard picks up SS and a longbow and can suddenly hit someone at long range behind 3/4 cover better than the elf rogue who actually knows how to use a longbow.

That's dumb as fuck.
>>
File: 1498931970779.png (972KB, 816x981px) Image search: [Google]
1498931970779.png
972KB, 816x981px
>>55236863
could use this
>>
>>55236629
ad scenario choosen: In my experience, if there are no short rest, it's because there are very little encounters per day - which is scenario that favors BM as well, because they can burst better.

Many encounters without possibility for short rest is certainly possible, but i haven't seen it yet.

>>55236873
>It is really fucking simple
It is, but not in the way you say.
Is the weapon in Melee category? Melee. Is the weapon in Ranged category? Ranged.
>>
>>55236873
>>55236900
>Throw a dart
>Doesn't work
>smack someone with a blowgun
>Works
so stupid
>>
>>55235577
>you are a fucking scumbag and a dirt tier GM not worth playing with, if you abuse the rules like this
Abuse? What are you talking about? I'm not giving out vital information for free. For instance, if vision gets obscured, you'll have to find out whether the enemy casts a spell or is shitting the players. You might be able to escape the first spell, but nothing prevents a sly caster from bluffing a second one.

Honestly, why are you so mad? Do you think casting tiny hut entering a combat is clever? It roots you to a single place. Others can mess with the outside of the place. It might work against enemies too dumb to regroup and reinforce their efforts, but it's not a good solution against organized opponents. Sure, it might work, but it might as well backfire and put you in a very bad spot. Incidentally, that's all my argument is about. Tiny hut isn't a 'fortress that's impregnable'. It's a thin line between safety and danger.

>>55235673
>yes he damn well has to tell me "you see the caster mumble and wave his hands around"
is not

>While being harassed by them? We re talking about a party with a 5th level wizard in it. They can harass them to death before it gets built.
I picture it like a shield phalanx guarding ogres who lift heavy rocks to block sections, if it's a room with entries or even bury the hemisphere under them if not. I don't know how much impact wizards have if they're the casters and not supposed to leave. Also, consider grappling. Exiting the hut for attacks might be dangerous to get grabbed and pulled away from the hut. Trying to dig the way out below might be the best solution to being surrounded.
>>
>>55236900
Yes, that's your experience but it's also not necessarily true for all, you could have many encounters with no respite simply because it wouldn't make sense to do so, otherwise you could have a heavy role-playing game with limited encounters.
After the BM has expended, their burst abilities have tapered off but the champion potentially has more opportunities to burst.

Your experience without encountering any doesn't mean they don't exist though.
>>
>>55236900
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/12/does-sharpshooter-feat-work-with-daggers/
>>
>>55235857
>Can Monks move in between flurry of blow hits?
Yes
>>
>>55236945
Tell me how you handle ready actions. Because if you do as intended, where you state what the readied action is, and what the exact trigger is, then you are a tremendous faggot if you only require it from the players. This goes both ways.

Furthermore, readying a spell means CASTING IT. You are using concentration to ready a spell, so you cannot switch it out afterwards without spending a spell slot.

And I am talking as a Forever GM who would never even have to deal with that kind of bullshit.

You think you are being clever by having your NPCs act like metagaming all-knowing beings?
>>
The only thing Champion needs is a little something extra on that level 7 ability. Alternatively, the addition of weapons with crit damage range would be helpful (similar to the half-orc's ability).
>>
>>55237080
There is nothing wrong with Champion
>>
>>55236974
That's not necessary in contradiction of what i said, only the clarification.

>>55236941
Dart is simple ranged, you can sneak with it.
I am not sure whether smacking with blowgun would work. I mean, it is ranged weapon but you are using it as improvised weapon. RAW it works, but i am not sure about the RAI.

>>55236958
Sure, that's why i say that is my experience - i believe it is pretty common occurence, though.
It's not like your damage matters that much anyway, if enemies you're fighting won't make you need rest.

>>55237080
Why? The Remarkable athlete seems pretty cool.
>>
>>55237047
>Tell me how you handle ready actions. Because if you do as intended, where you state what the readied action is, and what the exact trigger is, then you are a tremendous faggot if you only require it from the players. This goes both ways.
I'd like you to think about why this part of your post is retarded.

Here's the answer: Just because players state action and trigger doesn't mean enemies know about it.
>>
>>55236658
I'd say that entire parties fights which go 20 turns without having any rests are so fringe that they are not worth discussing. Or does this happen in your games often?

>>55236607
>Where did you pull the 10-20 rounds from?
Pretty easy math.
- Assuming ideal weapon for Champion, his extra features give 2 extra dice of damage.
- extra feature has 5% chance to trigger, or an average of 1 in 20 attacks
- BM's extra feature gives 4 damage dice
- since 4 is twice as many as 2, we can see that Champion needs to roll 19 twice for his feature to catch up in number of dice to the BM between rests
- for that to happen, he needs an average of 40 attacks. With 2 attacks/turn that's 20 turns. With 3 attacks + Haste, only 10.

You could have an incredibly lucky Champion player who gets better results than this, but you could have a very unlucky one who has it even worse.

This is a very simplified model, heavily favoring champion, and ignores advantages of the BM such as not being locked into 1 (melee) weapon, having bigger damage dice on maneuvers than that weapon, and heaving additional effects on his maneuvers, being able to decide when to use maneuvers and knowing enemy HP, so he won't overshoot, while crits are uncontrollable. Plus it assumes you attack every single turn and never, say, grapple or push instead one of your attacks.

>>55236958
If the BM wanted to be conservative and get the best out of his abilities, he could spend his dice only when he crits, to maximize their effectiveness. This would mean he crits half as often as the Champion, but twice as hard, With this intentional (and very arbitrary) limit, they'd be matched in damage output until the BM's maneuvers are out, so on average 40-80 turns, and the champion would overtake him when he crits once more on top of that, so average 50-100 turns of combat without rest.

Not really relevant to the discussion, but I thought it'd be funny to compare how long can the BM match if he goes for endurance.
>>
>>55237200
Judging from your posts, you are the exact type of GM who would abuse it.
>>
>>55237242
I'm different person who didn't participate in the discussion, I'm just pointing out stupid ruling on your part. Do you seriously say "The orc readies an action to pull the lever as soon as you stand on this field" in combat?
>>
>>55237200
>Moving the goalpost
If players have to state it, so do you. Stop acting like it is a GM vs Player game.

Or better yet, have them write it down on a folded piece of paper. I do that, because it makes ready actions surprising, as they should be. You give up a lot to make this ready action, so it should be a surprise what is going to happen once it does.

Except magic explicitly is channelled, so anyone who is preparing a readied spell, would be very visible to anyone with spell casting abilities, and possible to reduce for anyone with experience fighting against or with spell casters.
>>
>>55237259
I dont GM. I just chines in to give my opinion on the faggot calling Tiny Hut "easily abuseable by the GM.", because he sounds like a dick who will meta game all day to buttfuck his players for no apparent reason.
>>
>>55237047
Stop being so mad and start thinking already. Did you actually ever play out readying an action as a DM controlled opponent before? Think back. How did you explain that? Did you literally say 'X readies his bow' or what? Why would I tell my players that trying to reach that lever in the room mid-combat will trigger an arrow shot from that goblin enemy guarding it?

Why would I ever tell a player what action their opponent readies? This is a game for them from their perspective and it's solely for their excitement. I control information to create suspense and uncertainty. I'm not going to spoil that. I'm not going to tell them what kind of spells they're hit with either. I'll describe what's perceivable and the rest is on them. I need the information on what and how they use their ready action. My players have to tell me, not the other way round. The goblin enemy above just 'doesn't attack and looks focused'.

If they get me to fudge a spell, good. But if that caster isn't too dumb, he won't try the same thing over and over again. This isn't some computer game.
>>
>>55237281
>If players have to state it, so do you.
No, you retard. Players have to state their hitpoints if you ask, monsters do not. When players ready an action, you are supposed to play the enemies as if they had no knowledge of the action being actually readied, and the players get the same treatment by simply not receiving this information. Else you'd say "The enemy will attack you with the sword when you get in the range but you don't know this" - for what purpose.
>>
>>55235484
>dig ground out from under fortress
>bury it once it's deep enough
>stuck in ground forever casting the same 2 spells forever
>>
>>55237319
>fudge a spell
avoid
>>
>>55237319
See >>55237281
It is not rocket science. I am sorry if you are too retarded to think of that very simple solution.
>>
>>55233675
>not taking the Primeval Guardian UA Ranger conclave for 5 extra feet on reach
>>
>>55237323
>Players have to state their hitpoints if you ask
As a player: what the fuck?

Why? For what purpose would you ever need to know?

If you start saying "your character is looking really tired because he is at 50% HP", I will ask you if you want to play my character for me, because that is for me to explain, not you.

You only need to know if I am at 0 or not.
>>
>>55237323
>I am going to call you a retard, and then immediately prove I didn't read half of the post
Jesus Christ, did someone perform a lobotomy on you, or were you born this stupid?
>>
>>55237451
>as a player
>with that attitude
It's not nice to tell lies, but then again you aren't a nice person so I doubt that'll stop you.
>>
>>55236945
>I picture it like a shield phalanx guarding ogres who lift heavy rocks to block sections, if it's a room with entries or even bury the hemisphere under them if not. I don't know how much impact wizards have if they're the casters and not supposed to leave. Also, consider grappling. Exiting the hut for attacks might be dangerous to get grabbed and pulled away from the hut. Trying to dig the way out below might be the best solution to being surrounded.

I'd like to note that the caster can move the sphere every 10 minutes if he wants by 10 feet, by recasting it. with him moving the center 20 feet (to the edge of the current sphere but still inside it). So they could either slowly inch their way out/towards the fortifications, or possibly pop the sphere over a few soldiers (ideally only 1 or 2) and grapple/beat the shit out of them.
>>
>>55237477
>My Players aren't acting out my story as I want them to!
>bad players! You are not nice!

Okay faggot. At least it would tell me what a terrible GM you are, so I wouldn't have to bother with you more than necessary.
>>
What are labor and supply costs like in the Forgotten Realms?
I have a party that wants to fix up the burned out mansion in Phandalin but the fire must have caused massive structural damage, not to mention cosmetic damage.

Before they even get to customizing it I'm assuming it will cost 500 gold easily.
>>
>playing dnd for the first time at my college with a bunch of randos
>friend of the dm asks to use his custom class and race and gets turned down
>makes a yuanti pureblood mystic instead
what have i gotten myself into
>>
>>55237592
>what have i gotten myself into
somebody getting kicked out of the group maybe
>>
File: 1360451776875.png (240KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1360451776875.png
240KB, 413x395px
>>55237592
>>
>>55237427
No. That's a 'solution' for a problem I do not have. Writing down ready actions to '''''prevent cheating''''' is EXACTLY what turns normal game into a GM vs Player one. I'm not willing to share all information with my players. The idea is very stupid. As a GM I might have to cheat, in their favor. Most of my players are not minmaxing and sometimes they are just very unlucky. Sometimes things I devised turn out too complicated. Sometimes enemies are too hard. I will not spoil their fun by telling them that I downgraded stuff they're supposed to win against without help.

>You give up a lot to make this ready action, so it should be a surprise what is going to happen once it does.
Both bullshit. Readying gives agency in situations where you had less or none otherwise. It's very powerful tool to take a complex action. It's definitely not about '''surprise'''. Since D&D combat is only simulated concurrency, other players have a right to know what active players currently do. It's chaos and anti-fun otherwise.

>>55237477
Stop replying to that freak. I stopped reading at 'Why?'
>>
Can't Barbarians choose different totems as they gain levels so that you can get Bear's damage resistance and the Eagle's rage jump?
>>
GWM and Sharpshooter should be ban.
Instead make -5 attack +10 damage as a standard rule that everyone can choose to do.
>>
> Be a Barbarian with ritual caster (wizard)
> Summon Phantom Steed
> Elk totem double my traveling speed
> 26 miles per hour
>>
>>55237662
yes they can
>>
>>55237662
They can choose different totems, but only at the level they are at; if you pass up the wolf level 3 totem, you can't get that one at 7.
>>
>>55236898
Is that official?
>>
>>55237627
...okay, so you are a terrible GM that cant figure out how to balance encounters.

Hope you get better buddy, and doesn't have to rely on casting forever. I have never had a party wipe (that wasn't a straight up suicide) and I roll in the open using the same dice tower as the players. I often take out half of them in a fight.

It is not that difficult to balance encounters properly.

>Readying gives agency in situations where you had less or none otherwise.
No, readying an action is an advantage you get for reacting faster than the enemy. It should never be a disadvantage to have the highest initiative, but as the ready action is, it practically is anyway.

If you want "simulated concurrency", then you wouldnt use ready action, but just straight up delay your turn, instead of giving up a ton of actions to *maybe* make a readied action, that the GM can just say "Nop, not going to give you that one".

And players are free to show their readied action to the other players. As a GM, I am better off not knowing. It gives me a surprise and makes combat exciting for me as well, and it prevents me from influencing the decisions of the NPCs. Because whethrr you want to admit it or not, you are being affected by knowing what the readied actions are, and you have no reason to know in the first place. The knowledge is supposed to have no effect on you, so what is the point of knowing it in the first place?
>>
>>55235425
>tarrasque
>a cantrip can move it 10 ft with each beam with no saving throws or anything
The Tarrasque is immune to Eldritch Blast anyway due to its Reflective Carapace trait
>>
>>55237669
+1
>>
>>55237451
Holy shit please be bait. As a DM I have every single on of my players character sheets open whenever we play, I also ask what spells the caster have taken when they level, and make sure they track spell slots and other resources correctly. I do this so the players don't feel like its me vs them, its the enemies vs. them as well as my players can't be like 'HA Got you DM look what I pulled off, take that" and try to pull some bullshit.
>>
Anyone knows if there's decent, balanced spell-less paladin homebrew?
>>
>>55237846
just only use spell slots for divine smite
>>
>>55237846
Yeah, it's called fighter.
>>
>>55235394
We fix Champion by giving them something to do other than just swing a sword over and over.
>Battlemaster: Use your sword to trip, disarm, and deal bonus damage to enemies while also having one or two support abilities like Commanding Attack
>EK gets spells.
So why does Champion turn the "hit stuff with sword" class into the "hit stuff with sword but better" class when the design of the other subclasses actually ADD something instead of building off something else?
>>
Hello friends. Does anybody have any advise in a good "enter the fortress and rescuing the prisioner" session? I am the DM and want some advise in how to make it fun. The escape should be easy since the prisioner can just teleport them away once he is away from his cell.
I have it more or less planned but I can take suggestions, I want to make it fun for the players. If you have a module with this kind of situation I will be thankful.
>>
>>55237978
Because champion is created specifically for people who are there to kill goblins without thinking too hard, anon. They are not intended to appeal to you.
>>
>>55237837
>say you don't need to know HP
>I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR RESOURCES
Spell slots are fine. Hp is redundant, unless your players are potatoes who cant figure out to give a clear indication of how exhausted they are.

HP is useable for 1 thing for the GM: Knowing if an NPC has a chance of killing them. You only need to know this if you are a hugbox GM who is afraid of downing a PC, in an edition where the chance of actually dying from hitting 0 is laughably small.
>>
File: 1504215936798.gif (1011KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
1504215936798.gif
1011KB, 500x273px
>>55237702
>Gain fly speed some way
>Have wizard cast haste
>>
>>55238125
level 14 eagle gives you flying speed equal to your walking speed while raging, but you don't stay suspended in the air
>>
>>55238025
Not him, but Champion could've been something like Ranger Hunter, an entire archetype is focused on combat, but it offers more features than a simple Crit on 19.
>>
>>55237731
It is actuallt well designed and art looks cool, so no. It is not official.
>>
>>5523810
It's used by certain creatures and enemies. Bandits will target those who look weak, as will other seasoned fighters. Much like how many enemies know about the dangers of spell casters and target them or a monster that eats people might smell the blood on a character and go after him.
>>
>>55238179
Damn it, was supposed to be >>55238102
>>
>>55237471
>>55237502
>>55237775
>>55238102
Every day I am surprised at how unbelievably retarded tg can get
>>
>>55237978
>>55238025
>>55238159
You guys just aren't thinking outside the box

Why not going TWF+sharpshooter+dual handaxes?

6 attacks (with action surge) dealing 6d6 in total +14 per attack at level 5
>>
>>55238209
All of which can crit on a 19 or 20

Odds are good you'll get at least one
>>
>>55238209
Action Surge doesn't grant you another Bonus Action, it is poorly worded.
>>
>>55235717
>>55236688
I want your DM to be my DM, anon.
>>
>>55238236
Oh well it's still 5 attacks
>>
>>55233675
>Allowing monstrous races
>Allowing tunnel fighter

You deserve it
>>
Me again, I want to make a custom list of feats for my game so none of them are useless and all are worth picking, so far I only had time to do combat feats. I want to seperate them into Combat, General and Magical feats.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FOG_SWangULGjS-X-uI8U5BKth5b2gg5xypQHO_SkTA/edit?usp=sharing
>>
Speaking of Fighters who the So he is is going to be absolute shut and spit the face of those that wanted rebuild their old battlemind from 4ed.
>>
>>55238268
>Speaking of Fighters the Sohei is going to be absolute shit and spit in the face of those that wanted rebuild their old battlemind from 4ed
>>
>>55233675
Who the fuck allows Tunnel Fighter? It's more broken than Hexblade's Smite.
>>
>>55237775
>No, readying an action is an advantage you get for reacting faster than the enemy. It should never be a disadvantage to have the highest initiative, but as the ready action is, it practically is anyway.
No. Readying enables you to react to a trigger you had no reaction to before. This is literally what it is. It's never bad to have high initiative and readying doesn't change that in the slightest. You're not making any sense.

>If you want "simulated concurrency", then you wouldnt use ready action, but just straight up delay your turn, instead of giving up a ton of actions to *maybe* make a readied action, that the GM can just say "Nop, not going to give you that one".
More babbling. Delaying turns doesn't exist in 5e. I don't "want" simulated concurrency, it's what turn based combat in D&D is. One whole round means "everyone acts at the same 6 seconds but some are quicker and we'll handle it in that order". Announcing readying serves the purpose of clarifying whether the trigger is valid or not. It also serves to coordinate between players, since they're supposed to be a group that coordinates.

>The knowledge is supposed to have no effect on you, so what is the point of knowing it in the first place?
Wrong. The knowledge is supposed to have no effect on the decisions of the enemies I roleplay. Sometimes people think of nice ideas that wouldn't work because of factors they cannot possibly know about. If the readied action is cool, I can make it work, even if it shouldn't.
>>
>>55238288
We've always known that it pains Mearls to his very heart to make martials that aren't shit or casters which aren't gods, so I'm not sure why this needs a reminder
>>
what are your favorite monsters?
>>
>>55238321
I wanted to allow it, but then I read trough it. They had a cool idea but made it too broken. Problem with it is that in order to make it balanced you would have to get rid of two feats Spear Master and Polearm Master. With whom the shit becomes broken, so anytime anthing comes into your range you get to react for free, that is stupid, maybe would have been better if it gave you an advantage on opportunity attacks when using polearms?
>>
>>55238416
Beholders
>>
>>55238416
Otyughs
>>
>>55238416
Vampire spawns are great.
>>
>>55238416
Scarecrows
>>
>>55238159
It IS supposed to be braindead. For anyone willing to read page of rules, there is battlemaster. Champion is there for when your friend who don't know the system want to see how are you spending your time.

Hunter ranger is complicated. You need to knowyour spells. You need to track spell slots. You need to track which enemies are hurt to proc Colossus slayer. Natural awareness, primeval awareness and favored enemy - all gives minor bonuses to different things and i don't even know how half of them they work.

>>55238416
Humans
>>
>>55238265
How do you plan for picking them? Because generals tend to be weaker for martials, but strong as fuck otherwise.

My ideas:
General:
>Alert: Proficiency bonus to initiative (adds some scaling, Bard's Jack of All Trades stops working with the feat)
>Linguist: Observant's Lip Reading, remove the Cipher
>Observant: Removed (Prof with Investigation and Perception already cover the +5)

Combat:
>GWM: Attack with disadvantage, double proficiency bonus as damage
>Savage Attacker: Works everytime rather than once per turn. Basically becomes advantage on damage rolls.
>Tough: Merge with Durable feat

>>55238434
Mark, on the DMG (pg. 271), would've worked better in this. One opportunity attack per turn, doesn't expend reaction.
>>
>>55238571
>GWM: Attack with disadvantage, double proficiency bonus as damage
Are you trying to make it better or worse?

Because that is better.
>>
>>55238490
But they are not monsters... They are just things with human clothes on them.
Silly kenku.
>>
>>55238612
Disadvantage is significantly worse than -5
>>
>>55238612
It lessens the chance of a critical hit and scales with the levels rather than a flat -5/+10.
>>
I remember there being something that added more totems for the Barbarian but can't remember what it is. Anyone know what it is and if it's in the trove?
>>
>>55238677
SCAG added two more.
>>
>>55238685
Thanks m8
>>
>>55238652
>>55238664
Unless you're playing a Barbarian and just don't give a fuck, use reckless back to regular roll and boom.
>>
>>55238652
They're actually just about the same in average when you run the math
>>
>>55238722
Except that disadvantage makes it almost impossible to get a crit and doubles your chance for a nat 1, so it is strictly worse even if the average is about the same
>>
I need the mega trove link. Can I have it?
It's just nice to have one the spot bc it interfaces well.
>>
>>55238634
Pffft. Scarecrows are great monsters, ran a game once where one of the low level quests the party had was investigating a series of weird shit and grizzly murders in some rural farming town, party eventually found out a hag had been using a small horde of scarecrows to terrorize the village. Party damn near shit their pants when 30 jerkily moving scarecrows came loping out of the fog at them and tore their guide limb from limb. They remained cautious and fearful of open farmland for quite some time afterwards. I never see any love for them either, poor scarecrows.
>>
>>55238335
>No. Readying enables you to react to a trigger you had no reaction to before. This is literally what it is. It's never bad to have high initiative and readying doesn't change that in the slightest. You're not making any sense.
Counterpoint: if I had gone last, the enemies would have come to me, and I could move freely and attack who I wanted to (possibly with flanking if that rule is in effect, or to get sneak attack from an ally), where high initiative meant I either:
1. Move into the enemy group by myself, hoping my party is faster than the enemies
2. Ready an action, which might not trigger (enemy doesn't move within range), and prevents movement and action at the same time (you only get 1, not both), as well as any other reaction you might also want to take, and prevents you from taking bonus actions.

>Announcing readying serves the purpose of clarifying whether the trigger is valid or not.
What? There is no such thing as an "invalid" trigger, unless your players are monkeys and doesn't understand common sense.
>It also serves to coordinate between players, since they're supposed to be a group that coordinates.
Which they can do anyway.

>Sometimes people think of nice ideas that wouldn't work because of factors they cannot possibly know about.
Like What? Sounds like they made their action too specific. Also, this goes back to my initial point about ready actions being terrible;
>If the readied action is cool, I can make it work, even if it shouldn't.
>Ready actions are great if the GM specifically makes sure they work out as planned.
This is like that GM here who said Elemental Monks were fine because he gave him a +3 magic weapon that reduced ki costs of all his powers.

But sure, if your players like that you make everything they attempt to do, work, then you do you. Different tastes I suppose, but as a Forever GM, that sounds terrible. It takes away the satisfaction of earning that victory on their own.
>>
>>55238692
This version:
>Use Reckless Attack, attack without disadvantage, double proficiency bonus as damage, crit in 5% of the times

PHB version:
>Use Reckless Attack, attack with advantage, +10 damage, crit in 9.75% of the times
>>
>>55238652
No it is not.

>>55238664
It also makes it identical to a normal attack with disadvantage. You are in the dark and get disadvantage? Might as well use the feat, since now it does nothing except more damage.
>>
File: green dragon lair.jpg (173KB, 1200x754px) Image search: [Google]
green dragon lair.jpg
173KB, 1200x754px
Green dragon has 1 hour to prepare in his lair. He's already wounded and the party is at the entrance of his lair. What kind of traps would he lay down, especially knowing he really wants revenge on the druid who can turn into an elemental (immune to poison)?
>>
>>55237780

I was just using it as an example because of the size
>>
creating a barbarian for the first time.
whats the lowest i can go on intelligence without making him completely unplayable?
>>
>>55238857
8 because point buy wont let you go lower than that and rolling for stats is pleb tier.
>>
>>55238571
>>55238777
Full text should've been
>Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon that you are proficient with and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll, you can choose to have disadvan-tage on the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add twice your proficiency bonus to the attack’s damage.
So it shouldn't work with disadvantage.
>>
>>55238767
You also forgot anyone thinking to abuse such a setup, having a wizard in the party with a familiar who uses the help action, knocking the creature prone, someone restraining the creature. There are several ways where you get back to no disadvantage then boost up to advantage, think in the way a dick waffle trying to abuse mechanics would, unless this is purely for your table that isn't that way.
>>
>>55233573
Sounds like there isn't much danger in your games, must be a real blast.
>>
>>55238857
6 is the lowest you can go and still speak a language IIRC
>>
>>55238785
Block a portion of a tunnel and fill it with poison breath. When the party knocks the obviously fragile wall down, they are greeted with a tunnel full of poisonous mist.
>>
>>55238785
just bring the whole fucking lair down on top of them. The dragon can dig it's way out later.
>>
>>55238901
>There are several ways where you get back to no disadvantage then boost up to advantage
Advantage/Disadvantage negate each other, you could have 3 sources of advantage and 1 of disadvantage and it would be a normal attack.
>>
>>55238889
>>55238932
i gave his intelligence a 6 and a -2. on top of that, his wisdom is 7 and -1. am i doing it right?
>>
>>55239007
>his wisdom is 7 and -1
A score of 7 is also a -2 modifier
>>
>>55239007
Is your goal to fold like wet tissue whenever an enemy caster shows up?
>>
>>55238857

My group doesn't RP from mental stats. An example of how we do it is like, if I wanted to be a smooth talker as my character but took char as a dump stat, I can talk charismatically, I'm not forced to stutter my sentences or anything, but NPCs will react poorly to it due to shit persuasion rolls and so forth. But I know a lot of groups do like to make people RP from their ability scores. You should check to see that if you do go 8 int on point buy if you'll be expected to be a bit of a dummy.
>>
>>55238994
>1 source of disadvantage negates 3 sources of advantage
Is that RAW or RAI, because that's retarded in every way shape and form
>>
>>55239090

Both, I think.
>>
>>55239090
It's both IIRC, but I know my group thinks along the same lines as you and you can still get advantage on something you have disadvantage on provided you have multiple sources of advantage to offset it, but it works both ways and you can just have a single source of advantage negate being super fucked with disadvantage.
>>
>>55239042
ok look, im really just trying to have an excuse to go full retard. ive always had to be the wise one of the group so this time since my groups starting up a new campaign and my best friend wanted to switch roles with me, i figured i could be the retard for a change.
>>
File: zEk4TA.gif (951KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
zEk4TA.gif
951KB, 320x180px
>Another barbarian is really strong so I'll make him stupid episode
>>
>>55239090
RAW and RAI, any amount of advantage/disadvantage negates all other instances of the other.

It was specifically and intentionally done to prevent "bonus stacking." Devs didn't want people to try and scrounge as many sources of (dis)advantage as possible and slow down the game trying to count out each source to determine the outcome. You either have it or you don't, the end.
>>
>>55239110
>>55239130
Huh learn something new everyday because I haven't run into a DM yet that rules that way on it
>>
>>55239141
well you certainly did that. Enjoy your saves against hold person.
>>
>>55239165
>Huh learn something new everyday
or, you know, you could have read the fucking rulebook, as it is clearly stated on page 173
>>
File: eat shit.jpg (44KB, 318x401px) Image search: [Google]
eat shit.jpg
44KB, 318x401px
>>55239146
Yeah, so? There can be smart and dumb barbarians. The dumb ones are the entertaining ones. The smart ones are just boring.
>ooh look at me, i can read and form a grammatical sentence perfectly while dealing heaps of damage
BORING!!
>>
Any who have had a look at the new AL adventures? DDAL07-01 "A City on the Edge" and DDAL07-02 "Over the Edge"?
>>
>>55239172
i sure will enjoy it and so will the DM, i dunno about the rest of the group on the other hand
>>
File: 42229.png (725KB, 978x683px) Image search: [Google]
42229.png
725KB, 978x683px
>>55239192
Why? No campaign I've played has contradicted it until this point and the guys I started with said they'd teach me as we went. Even knowing this guess what, we'll still play the same way so it's irrelevant to my situation either way.
>>
File: hai gurl, wanna get wet.png (200KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
hai gurl, wanna get wet.png
200KB, 500x500px
>>55239193
I had party that consisted of the following:
>Storm sorcerer/Vengeance paladin who had terrible stat arrays and went down consistently who was a cunt to everyone
>Dickass Thief Rogue who barely put any input into the game
>Dragon Sorcerer who would prefer to teleport than fight and didn't have any personality beyond "Sarcastic"
>a Paladin who wielded TWO shields and lacked any sort of Strength and was a moron
>Wood Elf Monk/Warlock who would cast darkness with no regard to the party and was generally edgy
>Barbarian who was the most normal of the group and was the voice of reason

Smart Barbarians can be good too, ya cunt.
>>
>>55239302
Why read the rulebook? SO YOU KNOW THE FUCKING RULES.
>>
>>55238209
>>55238220
>>55238236
>>55238253

SS doesn't give the -5/+10 option to thrown weapons, it only applies to attacks made with a Ranged Weapon. The other two benefits would work though, so you'd ignore non-full cover and be able to throw 60 feet without disadvantage.
>>
>>55239193
I've played with only one barbarian that didn't play the "hur dur I'm stronk but dumb" meme. It's not even remotely entertaining when at any higher level of play they might as well not even show up to the fight
>>
>>55239317
>and didn't have any personality beyond "Sarcastic"
What more would you need?
>>
>>55239342
Do you have trouble with reading comprehension? I specifically stated why I didn't and only do so on occasions that call for it.
>>
>>55239317
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLwdAlsINTg

heres a better one.
>>
>>55239387
>Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?
You're the one who chose not to read the rulebook of the game you are playing.
>>
>>55239403
>hurr durr rulebook is everything and nothing can be changed
>>
>>55239446
Not him, but...
Everything can be changed, but if you care about the result, you might want to learn the thing you're trying to tweak. Just sayin'.
>>
>>55239403
So you do, thanks for clarifying
>>
What do you guys play when you want a little more of crunch?
>>
>>55239479
4e
>>
>>55238416
Animated Armor!!!
>>
>>55239350
Are thrown weapons not Weapons with the Ranged trait?
>>
>>55239479
anyone thatd be crunchy to an orc's perspective point of view, really
>>
>>55239503
they are not. They are melee weapons, which happen to be able to be thrown up to a certain range.

That is a technical and mechanical difference.
>>
>>55239479
Shadowrun.
>>
>>55238571
Pretty much everything not directly related to weapons is general and everything magical goes into magic. I'm not planning to give free feats to my party, all I am doing is sorting them better nd fixing them.
>>
What's does tg think of us making a project to build campaign guides/fixes?

Some of you lot are ass holes who do nothing but theory craft, but that's useful when it comes to foolproofing shit, and other of you guys actually do play the game, and have a crap load of useful advice that has been invaluable to me running Curse of Strahd and White Plume Mountain
>>
>>55239547
Hey now, some of us are assholes you have actually played the game
>>
DM Help Needed-

How do I manage a shitload of players? I've done 6 before and that was a little unwieldy, but bearable. I'm recently getting roped in for a potential 8 man party and I'm just concerned of a potential shitshow any good advice?
>>
>>55239595
Don't?
>>
>>55239471
Original poster I wasn't the one doing that, I was just pointing out what I thought might be a way to abuse the rework and was wrong, which I fully admit. Then someone sperged because the guys I played with said not to worry about reading the rules and they'd teach me as we played.
>>
>>55239595
>I'm recently getting roped in for a potential 8 man party

Easy, two 4-man parties.
>>
>>55239619
You could have prevented all of this by just reading the rulebook. It's not even all that long.
>>
>>55238892
I like this, will add it.
Thanks anon, I had a problem with this feat once, doing the same thing with sharpshooter would be nice!
>>
>>55239522
I'm gonna have I disagree with you there. I'd rule them as ranged weapons
>>
>>55239595
If you absolutely do talk to players before hand and set down a general rule of thumb on how long they have to do their turn in combat, if they don't they loose out otherwise it becomes a cluster fuck to get through just one encounter. Also since you'll be wanting to throw bigger groups at the party work them in blocks, one piece counts for x and each roll determines the action for all, pool hp and have a mental note or actual of how much each guy would have so they go down as it's whittled away.

However this is only if you absolutely have to DM otherwise I'd go with what the other guy said and don't.
>>
>>55239595
Take 4 people out and have them form their own group

I mean it, every one will have exponentially less fun the higher the number of people over 4 are there in a table
No? Ok, fine, stick to going around the table and doing a thing. Like clockwise initiative, and whatever it is that they are doing, move on to the next guy as soon as hit a mini cliff hanger

>I want to look at the shelf
>You find a familiar book
>I open it
>It's got your name on it
>Next!
>>
>>55239664
you can disagree all you want, what I said was RAW, however.
>>
>>55239628
I've debated that, I have a feeling that first session fallout will happen and I'll hopefully sift the good from the bad.

A few (3/4) are first timers and the other half are 2nd and 3rd edition vets. The vets are, of course, thirsty for rolling bones.
>>
How would you build a cavalier fighter as a tank?
>>
File: DarkFeels.jpg (255KB, 1280x1122px) Image search: [Google]
DarkFeels.jpg
255KB, 1280x1122px
>>55238416
>>55238549
>what are your favorite monsters?
>Humans

Deep
>>
>>55239643
What part of the people I played with said not to worry about doing that isn't registering? Since no one I've played with has made any mention of it, even with a handful of different players more than once, I didn't think anything of it.
>>
>>55239665
I've used this method before for the group of six and it worked fine. I blame playing with people in 3.x who couldn't math. Fantastic rule of thumb.

>>55239667
I generally break people into pairs at that point. It reduces dicking around in town and lowers the risk of murder hobos.
>>
>>55239697
I absolutely guarantee the 2e and 3e players are going to be your problem players. I GUARANTEE IT.

>>55239718
>What part of the people I played with said not to worry about doing that isn't registering? Since no one I've played with has made any mention of it, even with a handful of different players more than once, I didn't think anything of it.
The part where you elected to listen to them and forego reading the damn rulebook. The rulebook that can be easily acquired for free. the rulebook necessary to pick a race, class, spells, equipment. The rulebook that is only 320 pages.
>>
>>55233974
Sounds like Dogma
>>
>>55239750
Yes and no. We are doing fifth and I've already stated corebook only and no Homebrew. None of them have touched fifth and were actually happy to see the background changes.

Here's praying for no lawful stupid or chaotic murder hobos.
>>
>>55239750
>The rulebook that is only 320 pages.
of which, i would like to point out, is 170 pages of "what character do you want to play" the next 30 pages are RULES, and the next 100 pages are spells.
>>
File: 1503916007370.png (119KB, 392x366px) Image search: [Google]
1503916007370.png
119KB, 392x366px
>>55239750
So this whole sperg fit is because someone had a reason to not read ever single page of the rule book and that is just absolutely unacceptable to you? That's actually pretty funny, thanks for the laugh
>>
>>55239252
You can buy them yourself, if you can't wait lol
>>
>>55239805
welcome to /tg/ friend.

but seriously though, read the fucking rulebook
>>
>>55239772
>lawful stupid or chaotic murder hobos
Y'know I'm never sure which is worse between the two. I think I lean towards chaotic psychopath being worse than lawful stupid but every so often lawful stupid does something so tremendously retarded shit that fucks up absolutely everything far worse than anything the psychopaths do so I dunno. I know I dedicate the top of my personal shitlist to "chaotic evil in a party of X good" however because it 100% devolves into them trying to murder someone, getting gangbanged by the rest of the party and then them throwing a bitchfit over them being allowed to put them down like the mad dog they are.
>>
>>55239831
If I ever plan to DM I will, until then I'll just go with what rules our group runs by since it's what everyone has agreed on.
>>
>>55239833
I really hate Chaotic Neutral. It's the red flag for me usually as a DM and at that point I usually pow-wow and get them to either A) have a little more concrete to their character or B) Put Character in Trashcan.

I've only ever had one Lawful Stupid, but Chaotic Awful by the bushel.
>>
>>55239833
This is why I prefer the idea that law/chaos is in reference to some sort of code. CG is like Robin Hood, doing good without any real guidelines beyond just not doing evil things, while lawful is more along the lines of following a code like bushido or the honor code of the Bratva.
>>
>>55239860
you know it's called the Player's Handbook for a reason, right?
>>
So my next party will be a Tempest Cleric, a Trickery Cleric and a Glamour Bard. I'm undecided between Arcane Archer and Nomad Mystic.

With Arcane Archer I would add needed consistent damage, especially single target. But the party is really long rest dependent, so I'm unsure if I can get the most out of my arcane shots without much short rests. We also only have one Cleric as a frontline.

On the other hand I would play the mystic as a mobile frontliner who uses the Wu Jen disciplines to grant crowd control and aoe damage, while making him tanky. The problem here is that we lack single target damage and are really dependent on longrests for spellslots and psi.

I think a crowd control and support heavy party could be interesting, but I don't know how viable it is without some kind of consistent damage.
>>
Is lawful always in regards to 'generic law'
Can I, for example, play a LN cleric where he only gives two fucks about "Deity rule X Y and Z" but is totally cool with conventional bad shit like other people stealing or murdering?
>>
>>55239890
*opens PHB*
*Ctrl+F*
*type Alignments*
*search*
>>
>>55239503
If you look at the PHB on page 149, the weapon table shows weapons are grouped into 4 different categories: simple melee, simple ranged, martial melee, and martial ranged weapons. Certain other weapons also have the Thrown trait, along with things like Light or Finesse. If you look at page 147, you'll see a paragraph for each weapon trait, describing what it does. For the Throw trait, it says that you can "make a ranged weapon attack" with it, using the same ability modifier as a melee weapon attack. Notice that this does not make the weapon into a ranged weapon. If that were so, darts would either not need the Thrown trait or would be placed in the Simple Melee weapon category.

Boiling it down here: melee strike with a handaxe = melee weapon attack with a melee weapon. Thrown handaxe = ranged weapon attack with a melee weapon. Just as hitting someone with a longbow is an improvised melee weapon attack with a ranged weapon that RAW can trigger a Sharpshooter attack, as the damage clause only needs the attack to be made with a ranged weapon.
>>
>>55239890
Alignment literally doesn't matter in 5e except for a few spells that detect it or affect creatures.
>>
File: rules.png (18KB, 625x247px) Image search: [Google]
rules.png
18KB, 625x247px
>>55239772
>Here's praying for no lawful stupid or chaotic murder hobos.

Here's a tip from a DM of 16 years, you don't have to pray for this. When you tell the players the character creation rules (are they rolling or are they rolling, which books are allowed, etc.) you can also tell them alignment and personality restrictions. It's not something taboo. If you say "No murderhobos and edgy loner types" and they quit, do you really want them in your game?
>>
Dunno, CN is probably the most appropriate alignment adventurers can have, and by that I mean those who look for adventure and money. They don't particularly care about do-gooding, like freedom and don't have problem with opening a goddamn forsaken sarcophagus when they suspect something valuable might be there.
>>
What was the general reaction to skill feats, I remember I did not like some of them. I don't know why tho.
>>
>>55239923
Huh? Aren't classes restricted by alignment? (Pali is LG, Monk LX, Bard/Barb any Non-L, druids must be N, etc)
>>
>>55239706
by playing a Knight who isn't even going to be in XGE but cuckalier is, thanks wotc
>>
>>55239957
man, if only there was some way, some sort of book or something, that could clear this up...
>>
>>55239957
That's 3.5. In 5e these are all applications of alignment in rules:
1. There are 2 artifacts which must be wielded by good or evil creature respectively

I honestly can't understand why didn't they gut it. I like alignments, but only when they have a purpose.
>>
>>55239957
Not in 5th edition
>>
>>55239927
It has gotten to be that case and I've been working with a lot of the new players on one-on-one and answering questions so they are really solid so far. I'm not fully sure on the 2nd edition player, but all of the 3x kiddos are on board just to play again.

So, it might just be a little rocky. No one of course is of an evil alignment. That was my hard no.
>>
>>55239874
Yes and? That changes nothing about my statement since it's a rule they either ignore or don't care about, if no one else has cared up to this point I'm not going to make an issue of it or worry about what else we might be doing "wrong".
>>
>>55238752
Hey, you just gave me an idea for a kenku wizard...
>>
>>55239957
Where did you read that?
>>
>>55239941
most of the feat bonuses should have just been inherent to the skill. For example:
>Acrobat
>As a bonus action, you can make a DC 15 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If you succeed, difficult terrain doesn’t cost you extra movement until the end of the current turn.
>>
>>55239977
Hathor.jpg
>>
>>55240004
So they just did what 3.5 had and added some premade DC stuff, that is bad and no one wants it? I remember Charm feat was op.
>>
>>55239992
and that's great, just don't come on here and post shit when you don't even know what the fucking rules are.
>>
>>55239992
I think he meant that you as a player still have a certain duty to know the rules, especially those regarding a mechanic as central as advantage. By knowing them well enough, you're able to make more informed decisions about what does and doesn't work from both a mechanical and fun-based perspective.
>>
File: 1502296006013.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1502296006013.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>55240041
I'll be sure to take that under advisement and completely ignore it.
>>
>>55240080
just know that i'll be here. Waiting.
>>
>>55239862
I detest GMs who ban Chaotic Neutral.

Like, I get you may have had problem players, but here's the thing: Chaotic Neutral is a pretty important alignment to have, because it encompasses a lot of personality traits OTHER than "I kill people I dont like because I am random xddd"

Try actually reading what chaotic neutral is. If a player is being a faggot, ban him, not the fucking alignment.

Or stop using alignments entirely.
>>
>>55240056
Understandable but if this is what the group I game with has decided then I'll roll with it based on a fun perspective until I need to learn otherwise.
>>
How would you name a tiefling raised by an elf?
>>
>>55240100
by giving them an elven name. What kind of fucking question is this?
>>
File: 1502723714912.jpg (40KB, 505x488px) Image search: [Google]
1502723714912.jpg
40KB, 505x488px
>>55240087
I'm sure you will
>>
>>55239970
Luckily my DM allows UA, some 3p, and some homebrew. I think that would work pretty well.
>>
>>55240100
As an elf? If they've been raised from being a baby to adult by an elf what else would they be named? That's like asking what a Japanese baby adopted by a french family would be named, the french family isn't going to call them Hirako or some other nip name they're just gonna call him Jacques or Henri or something. Although elves being elves I wouldn't put it past them to give it an elvish name that amounts to "mongrel" or something
>>
>>55240088
I might do that in real life because I know my players or they are friends of friends or co-workers, but it is far too much hassle online. CN is to alignment what TWF drow ranger is to race and class.
>>
>>55239970
No matter how much I try, I'll never understand this decision unless they drastically changed something
>>
>>55239880
Has anyone ever played a party where everyone is dependant on long rests? How did it go?
>>
>>55240182
>Has anyone ever played a party where everyone is dependant on long rests?
I've played games where someone played a wizard, that's essentially the same thing.
>How did it go?
we rest after every 1-2 encounters. Which wasn't that big of a deal since apparently no one ever follows the suggestion of 3-6 encounters a day.
>>
>>55240216
well i dont think encounter necessarily means combat
>>
>>55240088
The problem itself is not the alignment, and I agree with you there. The problem is the player base behind it, most players at the league here treat it as an "LOL xD, fuck dah police" when it is supposed to be one of the more open and fun alignments and that's why I usually pow-wow with CN players to work out the kinks to make it a supportive alignment vs. MuderHobo.

And to be fair, I've only ever thrown away one character and that's because he thought he could Homebrew everything.
>>
>>55240100

Depending on the elf, he might give the child a cruel name, a name that means "half-formed".

NOW HERE IS A RIDDLE TO GUESS IF YOU CAN
SING THE BELLS OF NOTRE DAME
>>
>>55240216
Different person but I'm running a West Marches game that I suspect will only pull 2-3 encounters a session at best (since we're online).
> we rest after every 1-2 encounters
Long rest? Does the GM have to make the encounters Hard or Deadly to compensate for the extra resources (HP and spells and abilities) that don't need to be conserved?
>>
>>55240234
yes, and? No one mentioned combat but you. There are non-combat spells as well.
>>
>>55240261
The DM does whatever they think is necessary. It has less to do with "lets make this a CR X fight" and more to do with the non-creature aspects of the fight, terrain, traps, weather, etc.

A fight against some goblins can be pretty easy, a fight against the same goblins in a trap infested jungle with hard rain, with the goblins abusing the bonus action hide is a completely different challenge.
>>
>>55240100
Not sure how I would name it, but Tieflings usually take surnames based on their charachteristics so I guess:

"Elf-Name Faliure"
>>
>>55240261
Mieran Isles?
>>
>>55239927
What always happens with me is that they resolve to be different and then they never do. I have one player who plays every single character like a chaotic neutral barbarian, despite having played a NG sorcerer, a LG paladin, a N druid, and most recently a LN monk. I have had to shift him to chaos/evil multiple times during play, most recently when he allowed his character's father to fall to his death because he found him "annoying." When it's time to roll up a new character, I always have to ask him if he's serious this time when he says he's going to be different, not that it does any good. That LN monk is already on the edge of changing alignment after punching his master and liege lord in the face for telling him to make beds.

I am reluctant to throw him out because I don't know if I can replace him and the other players seem to like him.
>>
>>55240415
Beyond the Aegis
>>
>>55237555
Look it up in the DMG faggot
>>
>>55239880
>Long Rest Dependent
>Front Liner
>Sustained single target damage
>Not Wisdom Based

You're a Paladin Anon
>>
File: 1501288762259.pdf (8MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1501288762259.pdf
8MB, 1x1px
>>55237846
>>
>>55240525
While I agree that it would probably be the optimal choice, I only want to play one of the two listed.
>>
>>55237846
>decent, balanced
>homebrew
No such thing exists.
>>
>>55240587
my dndwiki race + class is perfectly balanced, believe me
>>
File: 0b4.jpg (35KB, 453x576px) Image search: [Google]
0b4.jpg
35KB, 453x576px
>>55240611
>>
>>55240579
Well, both your clerics will rely on short tests for channel divinities and brain inspirations (and songs of rest)

Feel like you should invest more in being short rest reliant and being what carries through your party throughout the day, but talk to your DM about how standard of an adventuring day he plans to be
>>
>>55236863
Playing a swashbuckler fiend blade lock
I'm 6rogue/4lock atm and that's the most I'll go into warlock.
You don't get the phb bladelock invocations but I feel you don't really need em.
20dex/16cha rn
>>
>>55236863
Swashbuckler gives best synergy
I find more than 3 levels in Warlock to be entirely superfulous
>>
new thread soon?
>>
UA When?
>>
>>55240986
Unearthed Arcana: rolling for penis size will be released next week
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>55240997
Fuck you I'm rolling anyway.
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>55241012
Needle dick. Watch this.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>55241012
>>55241046
Check this you chodes
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>55241012
Jelly?
>>
>>55241012
>>55241046
>>55241063
>>55241078
It will clearly be 1d10 + con
>>
>>55241078
>centaur trots in
>>
>>55241118
*con modifier
>>
Rolled 15, 1, 19, 14, 20, 12 + 1 = 82 (6d20 + 1)

>>55241118
>1d10 + con
>>
Rolled 12 (1d20)

>>55241123
Centaurs have to roll too
>>
>>55241153
>1 dex
Dick too big
>>
>>55241118
It should be 2d10+cha
>>
>>55241176
yeah but it'd probably have racial bonuses to size and all
>>
>>55240997
>>55241012

Can I roll for a futa dick?
>>
>>55241381
Yes but you have disadvantage
>>
Rolled 3, 16 = 19 (2d20)

>>55241397

Worth a shot I suppose.
>>
>>55239252
>>55239830
Or wait for someone to just upload the fuckers.
(or be a real hero anon and upload them yourself)
>>
>>55241439
That's a pretty feminine penis you've got there.
>>
/5eg/, I know this is only barely related to 5e or /tg/ in general, but I wanna ask: is it important at all to read Conan the Barbarian stories in order or can I just pick any old one up, for instance, if my library doesn't have them all?
>>
>>55239957
Readniggaread.jpg
>>
>>55240179
Apparently cavalier doesn't use superiority dice anymore, preventing it from being a worse battlemaster.
>>
>>55241748
now it will simply be a worse champion.
>>
>>55241665
I know you acknowledged in your post that this is not the place to ask, but you didn't say why you were doing it anyway. Go to /co/ or /lit/ or something.
>>
>>55241665
Read them in any order, it wouldn't make much difference.
>>
>>55241665
Just about everything is self-contained, so you can start anywhere and jump around. You won't find much consistency or a canonical order, and in fact couldn't, because things pop around in time as they were written (even by different authors) and details are lost or retconned.

That said,
Conan -> Cimmeria -> Freeboter -> Wanderer -> Adventurer -> Buccaneer -> Warrior -> Usuerper -> Conqueror -> Avenger -> of Aquilonia -> of the Isles

Good choice by the way. Conan and other contemporary fantasy is the best way to understand how D&D should be played, not the LotR or GoT-styled stuff everyone's on about these days.
>>
>>55241748
source?
>>
File: dndintroduction.png (101KB, 507x801px) Image search: [Google]
dndintroduction.png
101KB, 507x801px
>>55241802
But D&D was literally made with Conan in mind.
>>
Are these threads an okay place to look for online games to join? If not, what do you guys use? I'm a newish offline DM with little experience being a player and want to fix that.
>>
>>55242052
Try the gamefinder thread and their discord
or roll20 if you're absolutely fucking insane
>>
New thread
>>55242163
>>55242163
>>55242163
Thread posts: 402
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.