[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kobold Thread: Evolution of the Species

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: Kobold Evolution.jpg (72KB, 1024x315px) Image search: [Google]
Kobold Evolution.jpg
72KB, 1024x315px
So, long story short, I've been trying to clear up the historical evolution of Kobold artwork - can anyone clue me in on which of the first two pictures in this image come from where? I know the third is the AD&D Monstrous Manual and the last is the 3.0 Monster Manual.

Also, let's have a kobold thread. Have you ever made kobolds a major race? If yes, do you prefer them as magicians, tech guys, or replace gnomes by studying both?

Do you actually like the 5e statblock for kobold PCs?
>>
File: Fursecute.jpg (640KB, 1178x2059px) Image search: [Google]
Fursecute.jpg
640KB, 1178x2059px
>>55224263
Posting inb4 furshit invasion.
>>
>>55224263
The first picture is not the picture from 1st edition Monster Manual, but descipts a similar looking kobold as that picture (scaly skin and doglike face). The second picture is from early in 2nd edition's lifespan, I believe, before later art making them look like the 3rd picture.
>>
File: kobold4.jpg (35KB, 564x461px) Image search: [Google]
kobold4.jpg
35KB, 564x461px
>>55224263
2nd pic is 2e Monstrous Compendium Vol. 1

1st is from an early 1e module.
>>
File: dnd art history kobold.jpg (2MB, 1680x3521px) Image search: [Google]
dnd art history kobold.jpg
2MB, 1680x3521px
>>55224263
>>
>>55224396
Thanks! Much appreciated.
>>
You know, speaking personally, I really don't like the 5e Kobold profile at all. Seriously, is there any rationale beyond "tradition!" you can think of that they need to get hit with the triple-whammy of -2 Strength, Small AND Sunlight Sensitivity? They don't even get a freaking +3 to their stats, which even the Orc does!

Plus, Grovel may be mechanically useful, but flavor-wise it's one of the worst bits of character pigeonholing I've seen, and I've seen a LOT of different races over the editions.

Seriously, Pathfinder was better than this - okay, you got +2 Dex, -4 Str and -2 Con, but at least you had a lot of different racial options!

And 4e blows 5e out of the water in terms of being a strong race...
>>
>>55224994
>Kobolds
>Strong race
Pick one, please. Kobolds are meant to be pathetic. At best, they are underdogs, who overcome their inherent shittiness.
If you want to be dragonblooded lizard with amazing stats and no drawbacks, pick dragonborn, an actual furbait race
>>
>>55224263
Anyone got all the kobold artwork from the Wizardry games?
>>
File: 1497759634603.png (1MB, 1600x1319px) Image search: [Google]
1497759634603.png
1MB, 1600x1319px
>>55224263
I want to know if this guy is a dragon or a kobold based on his appearance. is there a relation between the two?
>>
>>55225872
Dragon, he is character in Paladins (hero-based FPS by Hi-Rez).
>>
>>55225953
just because he claims to be a dragon doesn't mean he is one.
>>
>>55225977
Kobolds are tiny
>>
>>55224263
I never really used them besides basic.
But I always imagined them as a dragon servants. A big red dragon tolerates them and they can have a giant god to venerate.
>>
>>55224263
I have played kobolds and an 85-year-old monk when I wanted to try playing characters that were purposely under powered and had to work to overcome their situations.

My group lets people make them tiny rather than small since there's a lack of good tiny creatures for 5e.
>>
I've had games with an arch where the rose up to the status as major race. They fun little buggers for story telling.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.