[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the worst experience you've ever had with mtg?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 45

File: file.png (151KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
151KB, 223x310px
what's the worst experience you've ever had with mtg?
>>
>>55218015
This thread

manaweaving
>>
>>55218107
how's manaweaving been your worst experience?
>>
>>55218015
Introduced a friend of mine to the game.

Lost three games in a row because I got mana choked every fucking time, and he bumbled his way to victory without even knowing what he was doing.
>>
>>55218349
Did he enjoy himself?
Does he still play?
>>
>>55218015
I've never actually had a bad experience, everyone at my lgs has been pretty lovely. Couple of socially awkward types but surprisingly few and far between. Maybe I'm just lucky.
>>
>>55218015
Guy who plays to win and barely manages to do so because he bought expensive cards complains to me because I have proxies in my deck. And my deck isn't even that great, just fun for me to pilot.
>>
>>55218015
>what's the worst experience you've ever had with mtg?
Conspiracy 2 draft
>Mana screwed/flooded
>Too freaking hot
>Everyone had a better deck than me
>Headaches
>All the rounds went to time for everyone
>Ended at 3am
>Rare redraft
>Last out of 12 people
>>
Everyone targeted me in multi man high school games cause they thought my rat deck was good

Pro tip it's not
>>
>>55218015
Took a 4 year break living in the middle of nowhere, then moved to the big city. GP comes to city. Quickly assemble previous GP winning deck. Go to GP. Get in draw bracket and end up going 2-2-2 drop.

On one hand, I shouldn't have gone to a GP cold and unfamiliar with the meta. OTOH, who skips a GP when it comes to town?
>>
>>55219179
>OTOH, who skips a GP when it comes to town?

that's a fair point
>>
>>55219179

Your mistake was using the previous GP winning deck. That's the deck which most players would have answers/sideboard for.
>>
File: received_1069818529819115.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
received_1069818529819115.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
>>55218015
I was at my LGS playing a pauper tournament once, back when I was still new to tournaments.
The guy, who showed 4 minutes late because he was having a smoke and took a billion years to complete every single turn eventually casts Crypt Incursion. I reach to my graveyard and proceed to separate my creatures to hand it to him so he can count more easily, and that's where it begins.

>guy screeches at me and screams "JUDGE!"
>tells judge I was trying to cheat
>I try to explain that since I have around 12 creatures in my graveyard, I was trying to help, tell him I didn't know it was that bad
>judge gets hyper pissy that I did that
>about to kick me out when the owner shows up
>owner is a lvl 2 judge and a great guy, tells me to stay
>pissed judge proceeds to sit at my table to "keep an eye on me"

I later learned that the pissed judge was friends with my opponent, which made mr never return to the shop out of pure rage. Seriously, tournament players are retarded sometimes.
I did win that game and met the same player in another shop for a modern. Although we didn't play, he got 1/4 so there's that.
>>
>>55219665
>I did win that game

good for you and fuck him.
>>
>new guy moves to hometown
>finds out i play magic
>asks me if i wanna play for some fun
>i go home and grab my janky combo decks because thats all i was interested in
>proceeds to stomp my shit with splinter twin and similar retarded decks
>asks me if i really expected to win with those shit decks
>>
File: Worst experience.png (199KB, 241x347px) Image search: [Google]
Worst experience.png
199KB, 241x347px
>>55218015
>>
>>55219665
>tells judge I was trying to cheat
>I try to explain that since I have around 12 creatures in my graveyard, I was trying to help, tell him I didn't know it was that bad
>judge gets hyper pissy that I did that

What was the mistake here?
>>
File: file.png (670KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
670KB, 480x680px
>>55219864
it's technically against the rules in official play to move cards in your graveyard around since some cards like pick related care about graveyard order (it's the only one i've ever seen care about it though)
>>
File: 2GJovEH.gif (214KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
2GJovEH.gif
214KB, 500x240px
>>55219944
I did not know that

I'll continue to not to care about that
>>
>Modern pptq, comp REL
>I play grixis control
>round 2, kid playing merfolk
>probably 15 year old or so, is obviously really nervous
>he plays awful and painfully slow
>keeps forgetting his vial triggers, slams down spreading seas and instantly draws a card while I have mana open
>I attend him on it every time but let it all slide because he's so nervous he can barely make eye contact
>game 3, match had taken forever so many people started watching
>he has a bunch of fish on the board and goes to attack step, tapping his creatures
>"wait no I wanna play lord of atlantis first"
>...ok fine
>he attacks for lethal, I go bolt snap bolt
>he tries to spell pierce with his cavern of souls, he tapped wrong to cast the Lord of Atlantis
>he wants to roll back again to tap properly
>I say I've let him slide so many times this match this is enough
>some arguing with the spectators and a judge being called
>the horror I've been dreading all match finally comes through; he starts crying
>he picks up his cards and storms off, didn't play for the rest of the day
>I spend the rest of the day with a knot of shame, anger and second hand embarassment in my stomach

And then I went 3-3 drop
>>
>>55219944
tbf, it does come up quite a bit in pauper
if youre playing the format, you should know that

dude was still a massive cock about it
>>
>>55220048
>crying over cards at the age of 15

cmon, dont feel bad for him. he was obviously a pissy brat, my dad gave me the belt whenever i started crying over a game
>>
In college, one friend played nothing but combo decks. We mostly played EDH so it could take a bit for him to get started, gave us time to actually play. Then he made momir vig. Every game was t minutes of him casting and drawing and shuffling on everyone else's turn, always ending with the same rite of replication kicked and biovisionary. Boring as hell to play against, so we started targeting him first, which always lead to a bitch fit. Same person always stormed off from D&D whenever things went bad, so glad that's out of my life
>>
>>55220178
It's a overused term but I am pretty sure he was autistic. And making a 15 year old cry when you are 24 yourself just feels bad regardless
>>
>Playing Commander with two other people
>Out of the box Meren precon
>Both other players have tricked out $800 decks
>One of them "boards in" Rest in Peace before the game because of my commander
>His first two plays: Turn 1 Vampiric Tutor for Rest in Peace, Turn 2 Rest in Peace

I just kind of sat there the whole game unable to do anything, which turned out to be a 45-minute slog between the two of them. Thank god it wasn't some eight player game I guess.
>>
>Worst experience ever had:
Several hour long EDH games (several of these, on different occasions). I don't like EDH anymore.

>Worst experience ever given:
Magic 2011 Draft. Had an utter and comple junk deck and was circling the drain. Got paired up with a dude with an absolutely godlike deck and a shit-eating grin. He was manaflooded game one and completely creamed me game two. Game three he was winning decisively, until I Naturalize + Rise from the Grave'd his Platinum Angel at 2 LP. He had no artifact removal and simply couldn't draw any creature removal. That loss caused them to drop from top three to fourth place and he got jack-shit price wise. The guy was visibly mad for the entire evening.
>>
>>55218015
>LGS is holding tournament.
>Get paired off against this stoner guy.
>And I mean, he just radiated the scent of pot. It was everywhere, his clothes, his cards, his hand when we shook at the start of the match, everywhere.
>And he played this really boring blue control deck. Manage to eke out a win, but it was three very long games.
>By the end of it, I smell like weed too.
>Get stopped by police as I passed a cop car on the way home. Walking home.
>>
>>55220531
Be grateful it was only weed
>>
>>55218015

All the way back in Stronghold I entered a sealed deck tournament. First tournament I was ever in, I was like 14 at the time and didn't quite know how things worked. The judge, a skinny older teen who looked like he would have rather been anywhere else, was listing pairings for the first round and I didn't get what they meant. I asked who was I supposed to play against and he started screaming at my face. Spooked me hard enough that the next tournament I attended was ten years later, in another city.
>>
File: 1373308468006.png (39KB, 725x269px) Image search: [Google]
1373308468006.png
39KB, 725x269px
>>55218015

Having my Revised dual lands cheated from me in trades when I was a kid.

Look, just because the idiot child is willing to trade a $500 card for a stack of 5 cent ones doesn't mean you should go for it.
>>
>>55219944
Note that it's only against the rules in formats that contain those cards.

It's totally fine in current limited formats, Standard, and Modern.

I doubt anyone would give a fuck in EDH either.
>>
>>55221180
I just did it because he was playing Dimir Faeries, a deck that doesn't run any graveyard order matters card. Although, I know I was on the wrong. I was just kinda sad about how terribly my opponent and the judge reacted. I hate being called a cheater
>>
>>55221213
I mean, they're both morons regardless.

Cheating requires knowledge and intent.
>>
File: mistmoon.jpg (54KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
mistmoon.jpg
54KB, 312x445px
>>55219944

There are a bunch of cards that care about graveyard order, but WotC stopped printing them after a certain point. This one is the newest I know of, it was in Weatherlight.
>>
>>55221180
>I doubt anyone would give a fuck in EDH either.

Super dangerous assumption, EDH decks use weird old cards literally all the time and it absolutely matters if somebody plays something like Shallow Grave.

Anyway, I dug up the actual rule and it's that

>In formats involving only cards from
Urza’s Saga™ and later, players may change the order of their graveyard at any time.
>A player may NOT change the order of an opponent’s graveyard

So even in current formats you can't change the order in your opponent's yard, but you can in yours.
>>
File: volsha.jpg (76KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
volsha.jpg
76KB, 312x445px
>>55221257

This one is newer.
>>
>>55220433
>"Alright, I concede. You guys have fun, I'm going somewhere else."

If they swap their decks around to counter yours before a game starts, they're kinda crappy. Should have just scooped and done something else to prove a point.
>>
>>55221510
What you're supposed to do is hide your commander until the game starts and people roll for first turn
>>
>>55220048
>Go to LGS
>a couple of father/son duos play in standard showdown
>one kid always has random brews or the latest SaffronOlive meme deck
>other kid always has some spikey deck and plays super fast, for sure wants to win the shit out of the tourney every week.
>often I get paired against them or their dads (who are both pretty chill guys desu)
>always seem to stomp the kids, have good and fun games with their dads
>spikey kid seems to take it in stride and postgame we talk about choices, decks, etc
>brew kid always seems down after losing, I always make sure to show interest in his lists and try to talk to him, stay positive.

I was definitely the brewer kid when I was his age, not the spike, so I feel like I have a duty to be encouraging to him.
>>
Had a game night I was playing at robbed, and some Chad tried to play hero and got shot.
>>
Really long turns by experienced players. It takes away the fun and the interaction I had while playing quick games in my youth with my buds.
>>
>>55218015
>Playing in the Avacyn restored pre-release with 60 or so players
>Have a great black red deck, great removal, good critters, etc.
>go 3 games 2-0
>4th matchup is against a player i know is good but he looks unhappy
>start the match, he plays a forest, and a critter
>second turn, draws, miracle +4+4 onto the critter, swings 5, plays a forest puts another critter in
>third turn, draw, miracle +4+4, swings 10.

Turns out, he got 6 copies of that card in his 6 packs. He was playing red green and also go 3 of the red miracle that deals 5 to the face for R. and the mythic red fireball miracle.

I've never hated a set so instantly before. Too bad too, cause the flavour is nice there.
>>
drafted homelands in a niche game in 2015.

no one won a game. it was over by decking.
>>
>>55218015
>only ever play kitchtentable magic with friends and go to prereleases
>go to like second or third prerelease
>lose first match
>second match against some guy who looks like he is a regular at the store
>he's playing some kind of control deck
>has shit draws
>manage to win a game (I can't even remember which, maybe it was the third game) though my deck is far shitter
>he's really frustrated at losing the game
>starts flipping cards of the top
>he needed one plains (in his three-color prerelease deck with little mana fixing) to cast a card that would have fucked my shit up
>it's like the 6th from the top
>"I would have won if I had drawn that land"
>feel this is really disrespectful from him
>say "Well well, that's pretty big talk"
>he absolutely flips his shit
>get into a long argument
>he ends up rushing out of the store for his nicotine fix (he was trying to quit smoking and was wearing a nicotine patch)
>>
>>55218015
>what's the worst experience you've ever had with mtg?
playing white weenie vs. uw draw-go in modern. only matchup that sucks to play even when you're winning.
i stopped going to my lgs because half the decks are some form of 'draw-go, draw-go, timely reinforcements, cryptic command, gideon jura' and a few of those people are actively trying to win 1-0 with a 50 minute game 1 (though i don't know of anyone stupid enough to let g1 go to time instead of conceding)
>>
File: ambush krotiq.png (137KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
ambush krotiq.png
137KB, 223x311px
>>55222012
From the same store
>playing Fate Reforged prerelease
>play this with an empty board
>"You have to return it to your hand"
>say I don't have to because it says another
>"Then you can't cast it because you don't control another creature"
>explain him how the rules work despite him being a regular at the store
>he suggests asking the judge
>judge is busy playing a game himself and can't come
>he asks "someone who knows a lot about magic"
>who was also playing a game himself
>guy looks really unsure and hesitatingly says that he thinks I am right
>can finally continue with my fucking game after arguing about really easy to understand rules for 10 minutes
>>
>>55218015
Going to my lgs and seeing the store closed permanently.
>>
>>55222349
That doesn't sound that bad
>>
>>55222508
No it's not, it wasn't a really bad experience but I thought I might as well add it since I was writing up a story anyway
>>
>>55222349
>>55222537
Well since it was a prerelease and I assume the judge there was the store owner or the only judge he should've paused his match for a min to help you out.
>>
>>55222349
>>55222683

I get at least one stupid rules hitch from a 12 year old every prerelease. It's par for the course for prereleases. Hell, just from my most recent:

>kid tries to sac his Irrigated Farmland to draw a card because he's "discarding it from play".
>another kid says I can't cast Riches because his only creature is hexproof.
>>
>>55222781
I mean, in situations like that we all kinda had them at some point when learning to play.

I can't count how many times I've had to explain why board wipes get around hexproof and shroud
>>
File: 1504125755344.jpg (207KB, 800x1149px) Image search: [Google]
1504125755344.jpg
207KB, 800x1149px
>>55223388
>that moment when you have to explain how -x -x effects interact with indestructible
>>
>Mirrodin Besieged draft at LGS, the prize is a Tezzeret the Seeker
>Store owner participates in the draft
>I'm matched against him
>G1, his board state is poor
>See him literally look through his deck and rearrange it when he thinks I'm not looking
>Call him out on it, he gets pissy and denies it
>No one else saw this so it's eventually decided that we just start over
>Proceed to beat him soundly
>He continues to be a bad sport but grudgingly accepts his defeat
Thankfully I have had pretty good experiences since then (at different venues), but it was disappointing to see that from the guy running things.
>>
>>55221905
lmao really?
>>
File: 1503963672338.jpg (24KB, 592x328px) Image search: [Google]
1503963672338.jpg
24KB, 592x328px
>drafting Fifth Dawn right when it came out
>starting at like midnight because the store thought this was a good idea
>3-0, it's almost 3am
>ask the other undefeated if he wants to split since it's late as fuck
>he says no
>nbd, let's go
>stomp him game one
>he asks me if I still want to split

I think that's the most annoyed I have ever been with someone over Magic. I just won game two and left, and looking back it's not even that bad but at the time I was pretty mad.
>>
File: 2014_12_30_9c_chicagosalt.7182b.jpg (93KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
2014_12_30_9c_chicagosalt.7182b.jpg
93KB, 950x534px
As dumb as it sounds, someone not flashing a removal spell when he had game and spent a long ass time on his turn. I was already riding a pretty high tilt by that point in the night just because my deck wasn't functioning and I had to mull every single game. I'll lay down a short version of the story.
>Playing R/B Zombies, uses haunted dead and amalgam as the primary combo, voldaren pariah as a curve topper. Against gearhulk reanimator.
>I should have the advantage in the game but my deck was just clunky as shit all night like I said earlier. I have 3 lands on turn 8 or whatever it was.
>I'm at 12, he's at 1, I have him on the backswing with a 1/1 spirit token that's tapped, and a cryptbreaker untapped. I have 2 mana up 2 cards in hand.
>he spends a long ass time on his turn before full swinging with a whitehulk, 3 amalgams, and a scrapheap.
>Plan that I've been circulating non-stop was to haunted dead, block the whitehulk and a scrapheap, take 9 fall down to 3, win next turn.
>go to do that, magma spray on cryptbreaker. I take 12 and lose
If he had just flashed the removal spell from the start of the turn then I would have had no problem, but I sat there for like 5 minutes waiting for him to do something with the hope of still being able to cheese out the game just to find out I was dead anyways. It's like he had game, how did he not see that earlier? There's no combination of anything that I could have done that would have given me more than 2 blockers or make a blocker and remove a creature. Not with only 2 mana.
>>
File: 1491475259026.png (647KB, 618x618px) Image search: [Google]
1491475259026.png
647KB, 618x618px
>Was still playing Standard during Kaladesh
>Brewed a Grixis Control
>Was 2-0 at an FNM
>Play against this one guy who blatantly netdecked Temur Tower
>Kid has a crazy lisp
>Every single turn "Oontap, oopkeep... DWAH."
>Kick his ass game 1
>Sideboard in some artifact destruction to make sure I can clinch this
>Get utterly mana flooded game 2
>Draw none of my counterspells nor artifact destruction spells
>Towers just roast me eventually
>Game 3
>Start with a single island and then draw nothing but my red and black sources of mana
>No Void Shatter, no Gearhulk, can't have cast a Dispel to protect my Anticipate or Glimmer of Genius that he readily counters
>Eventually lose
>Kid: "Yeah... if you want to beat this deck it's weally impootant to countuh my dwah spells..."
>"I wish I could but I had no blue mana."
>Kid: "...Yeah if you wanted to win you weally should have countuhed my dwah spells..."
>>
>>55218015
Tried MtG as a massive casual after several years hiatus. I built my deck when I was an early-teenager, so it was absolute crap.

One of the guys had some kind of artifact-based land destruction deck. I had expected to lose, but it was like I wasn't even playing the game: Put down a land and he blows it up, put down a creature and he neuters it. That experience soured me to the whole game, so I decided to never waste my time or money on it again.

Also lost a few decks to the laundry machine back when I was about 10 years old and kept forgetting to take them out of my pockets.
>>
>>55219665
Stuff like this is why I only play with my friends.
>>
>>55218756
>have good decks in other formats
>play EDH with friends
>it's basically 1v3 every time
>ask why they target me every single time
>"you have the most experience and your other decks are really good"
>tfw my edh decks are mostly cards I had lying around from cracking packs or prereleases

Guess I should stick to 1v1.
>>
File: extricatorofsin.jpg (46KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
extricatorofsin.jpg
46KB, 265x370px
Not sure which I really had a worse time with considering on the first story I actually went 4-0 that pre-release.

>sit down for second round
>say hello to my opponent
>he is extremely tense, like he'd jump out of his seat at any moment
>game starts normally
>I play pic related
>I target harvest hand
>opponent yells at me "THAT ISN'T A TARGET"
>entire store of 45-50 people go quiet
>he's on his haunches like he's about to jump on me over literally me saying target instead of whatever he wanted to hear
>his friend sitting next to him asks him to calm down
>match continues and is very close
>guy is extremely harsh and tries to make conflicts over every little thing
>claims I'm misconstruing everything
>in final match I'm sweeping him
>turns out later this guy is known for not tracking life totals when he's angry (which is always)
>In final turn I have 11 creatures attacking him when he is at 2 life
>he tries to start an argument that he still had all 20 of his life
>abruptly fuddles all his cards together and signs the match slip
>spend the next 15 minutes angrily saying how I was "missing triggers" over things

Never thought I'd have someone sperg out and attack me in a card shop but now I won't go there anymore because some husky 40 year old takes limited so damn seriously.

Second story is me playing 4 drafts in a night and even through mulligans only drew 8 lands the entire time.
I must've spent only 20 minutes actually playing games.
>>
>>55224710
>takes limited so damn seriously
Anon, he had autism.
>>
Having to listen to them screeching and sperging out at the FLGS
>>
>>55218015
>Build new deck
>Go to the LGS on game night to test it
>Be there for three hours, not a single other player arrives
>Go home

This is why my favorite LGS got turned into an esports bar instead. I live in a city of faggots where people would rather not play than risk losing. Everyone is always building decks, but they never play them at the stores.
>>
>>55220433
You really should have a way to deal with enchantments in your deck.
>>
>>55219944
,love that art
>>
>>55220385
I made a guy cry at MWC finals, he was older than me and it was just a couple tears of frustration and shame because he didn't see Burn playing as a control deck vs Twin in response to Leyline of Sanctity. And had to sit through half an hour of Monastery Swiftspear dealing him 17 damage 1-2 a turn because I used all my spells killing his creatures and hitting myself to protect her from Bolt.
>>
>>55224758
You really think so?
If he really had autism I would think he was actually paying attention to the game and have no basis to be claiming either of us were missing these elusive triggers.
>>
>>55225096
Could be any other untreated behavioural disorder, he had his friend there with him to calm him down right?
>>
>>55221093
I got my Beta Underground Seas for an Island.
I know for a fact the guy I traded it with dropped out of magic before the first white borders were a thing, and I have cherished it for the past 25 years.
But that was when basics were impossible to get and more valuable than duals, trading a valuable card for shit because the owner of the valuable card doesn't know it's value is shittiness worthy of some shin kicks.
>>
>>55225122
His friend never does anything in particular to calm him down besides saying calm down.
I have no idea about their particular relationship (brothers, old friends, etc.)
but he's no retard handler, the guy can definitely function
>>
>>55225185
Barely if he's spazzing at you like that kek
>>
>>55218015
>Be 2007
>Am 17, learn about magic from friend
>Go to high school's nerd club to learn
>Friend puts together shitty R/G/W deck fileld with his worst slivers and cards
>Don't care, just wanna learn, didn't even know it was bad
>Some faggot at the table says my deck is shit over and over and over
>Leave mid-game reminding him I was new and wasn't my deck
>He turns blood red and starts stuttering trying to get me not to leave
>I leave, don't touch magic for another 5 years

And that's how I learned about both my favorite tribe, Slivers and how the majority of magic players are social rejects worthy of medication.
>>
>>55225214
Yeh you've gotta be right cus I'm not the first person this guy has acted this way to. The rumor I heard is that he only gets away with it is because he is ""friends"" with an employee at the store. Far more likely they're just aware of his condition whatever it may be.
>>
>>55224964
>99 card deck
>can't have full playsets
>expecting me to top draw disenchant or something

Come on dude, it was a dick move from the beginning.
>>
>>55225289
It's sad that people can be like this, don't let it ruin your enjoyment of magic! leave that up to WOTC
>>
>>55225435
I sorta have stopped playing since then.
I used to play loads of limited and pre-releases at the shop because it's usual a real nice competitive/no-nonsense environment (the store is one of the PPTQ/PTQ hosts in the area) where I can just enjoy a buncha good matches with players that aren't 14 and aren't gonna sperg at me, but now whenever I show up to the store at peak hours that guy is there making things unpleasant.
>>
>>55224964
Normal Meren does, Precon Meren doesn't.
They were abusive twice over towards him, and that's the kind of behavior that makes sure few people stick to the game.
>>
>>55225083
>MWCQ
>>
>>55225122
Yeah, like roid rage or something.
>>
right now

every card in the game either has a nigger or a granny in it

could the alt-left please get its identity politics out of my fucking hobby
>>
>>55225547
At least we're finally getting some white people in Ixalan, even though they're vampires
>>
>>55224710
>now I won't go there anymore
don't be a bitch and repeatedly beat his ass, make him cry
>>
>>55225475
Find another store.
It's super hard getting aclimated to a different place but after getting two LGS close on me, I've gotten used to just showing up at random stores for FNM.
>>
>>55225621
I'd been to every other store in the area except this one before that. They're all casual spergfests. This one store with mature rule-abiding players is now super uncomfortable when I go to it.
The only direct route to this store is 13 miles on a super crowded highway and the other stores in my area I haven't already checked out multiple times are 20+ miles.
Maybe I'll take up MTGO sometime but for now I'm taking an extended break.
>>
I built the worst sphinx tribal edh deck ever, the average cmc had to be likr 5 or something. And of course because the commander was Sharuun there was always at least one cunt who woukd viciously target me even though my deck had zero infinite combos

It took me a long time to get all the cards as well, and I disassembled it after maybe 6 games
>>
>>55226316
Sounds like someone thought you were a tryhard. Next time tell people you purposefully don't use infinite combos and you aren't a tryhard. If they still target you, they clearly have autism and trust issues.

I mean fuck, it's EDH.
>>
>>55224554
And yet people keep saying that Land Destruction is fun/is completely legitimate/etc.
There is a reason they've been printing less and less of it.
>>
>>55226637
LD is completely legitimate. It's an extremely harsh form of control.
Competitively viable or fun? That's a different matter.
>>
>>55226924
I feel aggressively costed LD should be limited to nonbasics - it'd punish greedy manabases while having a natural counter in just...running a bunch of basics.
>>
File: Lure.jpg (29KB, 226x311px) Image search: [Google]
Lure.jpg
29KB, 226x311px
>>55218015
>8th grade
>really into magic, skipping most classes to play or look on card kingdom to brainstorm decklists
>still new, still not really aware of high power cards (playing mostly with uncommons and hand me down cards), but enjoying it a lot
>most of the friends i played with were cool, but there were a few outliers
>one kid just bought the beefiest white/red/green creatures he could find and never realized how removal spells worked. pitched fits every time he lost.
>worst offender was embodiment of stereotypical teenage atheist, who min-maxed his entire deck to be completely full-proof strategy that usually one by turn 5 via mana ramp and high power creatures/direct damage
>ruins every game by beating everyone, being generally obnoxious, talking shit about everyone else until the cows came home
>digging through my mom's boyfriend's old cards one day, find a few interesting cards
>one being lure, and the other being cockatrice
>realize i can beat him with a jury rigged deck that deathtouches all his creatures, while also giving cockatrice shroud, etc
>challenge him to a game, ante my best cards
>accepts, even though he wagered nothing
>start winning instantly, basically perfect opening hand
>out of nowhere he just points at my lure, grabs it along with my cockatrice and runs away with his deck
>literally never see him again
if you're reading this, fuck you Alden.
>>
>>55218015
Knowing that U and artifacts will always be the most powerful
>>
>>55228496
Shit man did you give chase or were you too shocked? I would've tarred, feathered and then beat the tar off him if I caught that mother fucker
>>
>>55224964
Modern EDH precons are terrible and have barely any good cards.
>>
>>55225593
Roman Conquistador Vampires.
Whose iconic legendary is a strong black womxn.
>>
>>55229266
>Vampire Isabel I de Castilla
>Black
Nigger, neck yourself. Queen Miralda is white and beautiful.
>>
File: Image (2).jpg (68KB, 473x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).jpg
68KB, 473x311px
realizing I have to pay $7-$10 for objectively better lands
>>
>>55229954
Blackcleave Cliffs is like $20.
>>
File: 59829_200w.jpg (26KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
59829_200w.jpg
26KB, 200x285px
>>55229954
This is like a dollar
>>
File: badlands.png (151KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
badlands.png
151KB, 223x310px
>>55229954
I mean if you want to get into objectively better lands...
>>
File: 104304_200w.jpg (23KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
104304_200w.jpg
23KB, 200x285px
>>55229954
>realizing I have to pay $5-7 dollars for standard lands that will never see the light of day post rotation
FTFY.
>>
>New LGS in town
>Go to check out if there's a Magic scene there
>Everyone there is an ultra-serious looking middle-aged man
>Literally neckbeards
>One guy digging through a box of singles and picking out some cards
>"What kind of deck are you working on?"
>Everyone in the store gets triggered
>Guy gives me a rant about how millenials can't appreciate the beauty of homebrew decks
>At this point they're all glaring at me
>Owner starts rambling about how "If you can define a deck with one of those internet names, you're a braindead Spike who shouldn't be allowed to play"
>Everyone glaring at me
>Get real uncomfortable
>Try to leave, while one of the fatter of the middle-aged neckbeards kept "accidentally getting in my way"
>Eventually manage to get out

Between that and some experiences at a few other LGSes, I've all but quit Magic - I have a couple commander decks, and a few cheaper cards, but I've sold off nearly everything else. Best decision I've made in years.
>>
>>55230088
I dont believe your story, nor should anyone with any judgment. If they did react like that, im sure you did something to get them on your back.
>>
>>55230088
I saw something similar happen at the LGS once except it was an asshole approaching a kid and asking in a demeaning tone
>"What shitbrew do you think you can build from the budget bin?"
So the owner asked him to be respectfull to other players or leave.
>>
>>55230122
Gotta agree with this anon. Anyone who knows anything about magic knows your question could literally be answered with a really general deck name like "wb tokens, UW flicker, Ramp, hard control, etc. "

Literally all of those are general deck names that could describe any deck be it amazing or amazingly shit.
>>
>>55230519
They hate the terms "aggro, combo, control". They consider them "netdecker words", and the owner talked about how he would "make up deck names to mess with netdeckers".
>>
File: Crypt Rats Deck.jpg (436KB, 1115x900px) Image search: [Google]
Crypt Rats Deck.jpg
436KB, 1115x900px
>>55218756
Needs more Crypt Rats.
>>
nothing too bad but

>start getting into mtg through a friend
>my friend's friends have been playing at least since urza's legacy
>I have a deck built out from a goddamned deckbuilder's toolkit from the theros era
>they do not follow any formats, they play by their own houserules
>pretty much vintage level mtg minus the really expensive cards
>they say they want to play against my deck
>me not being a complete moron I tell them that is very likely that Im going to get stomped no matter what because my deck is worth cents and I barely know the game (at this point I dont even know what formats are)
>they pressure me into playing telling me that its the only way ill get good
>"ok"
>first guy goes turn two tinker into blightsteel
>hadn't even played a creature so Im dead
>second guy has a bogles kind of deck
>tried using removal on whatever he enchanted but he has mother of runes out so he tells me I cannot do anything atm
>I ask him what my outs are and he says that judging by my deck there's probably nothing I can do

another one was

>just got a daretti precon
>new to lgs so don't know many people there
>some guy approaches me and asks me if I wanna play 1v1 edh
>I tell him yes but that my deck is just a precon with very minor adds
>he says not to worry, that his deck is pretty casual
>he is playing og ezuri
>managed to somehow win game 1
>I can tell he is somewhat salty
>he says he wants to play again but he says that he will change the commander of the deck
>"ok, sure I guess"
>Freyalise
>he now draws better and draws his tutors and gets all the artifact removal cards from his deck
>he obviously stomps me
>he is now happy and tells me that thats how his deck is really supposed to work and the first game was very unfortunate for him

why do people draw pleasure from stomping noobs? they don't look cool or experienced, they look like douchebags. please, never do this. you might discourage someone from playing the game.
>>
>>55224548
is this a meme? I've seen this exact word for word post before.
>>
>>55230738
He's probably just copy-pasta'ing himself.
>>
File: wasteland.jpg (26KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
wasteland.jpg
26KB, 200x285px
>>55218015
I had this long stretch where I played hatebears in modern, and every single game felt horrible. So then I built pod, and it got banned a month after I finished it.
Part of the reason why I don't play modern anymore.
>>55227508
I agree with you 100% percent there, anon.
>>
>>55218015
Why does the art look like a california raisin holding a gun
>>
>>55221677
He asked about MtG, not YGH.
>>
>>55230561
Even then, how hard would it be to say 'oh, I'm making a red/white deck. Right now I've got some cards like x, y, and z.'

Like, if you aren't gonna use labels, then you should at least be willing to explain in a more lengthy way when somebody asks you what you're making.
>>
>>55223388
At least it's better than all the times I've had to explain that "T: Add R to your mana pool." doesn't mean "Search your library for a Mountain and put it into play."

And a frustrating amount of those times I've had to do it while playing green using old lands and fetch spells.
>>
>>55231033
Holy shit nigger this.
>>
File: 116371_200w.jpg (22KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
116371_200w.jpg
22KB, 200x285px
>>55230561
Hmmm, I wonder who plays at your lgs...
>>
Paying for three boxes of Homelands....
>>
>>55231396
Cultists?
>>
>>55231541
desolator
>>
>>55218015
whiny judges giving me (and my opponent) warns just for talking or making jokes, also edgy teens
>>
File: Into The Maw.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Into The Maw.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
>>55226637
Land destruction is fun/legitimate/a cool part of the game. Mass/repeatable/overly cheap land destruction not so much.

There's a reason I run Trench Wurm instead of Helldozer and love pic related.
>>
>>55218015
I barely had any GOOD experiences with mtg. I think the worst of all was in some EDH event with a tribal theme to it. I had Green/White cats with Trostani as my commander...which everyone seemed to whine about. One table was a tough fight that I lost since everyone seemed to be going after me (despite barely building up any board presence). Then in the second round I wiped the floor with my opponents. Basically, the stars aligned for me and for once in the history of playing magic, I drew everything I needed and had like 3 anthem effects in play (I think a 1/1 cat token was like a 7/7). Some whiner was accusing me of cheating (not directly to me, but muttering to the other players in that round...pissed me off because god-forbid I get lucky for once in my life. I didn't even end up winning that challenge...some guy with a dragon commander (cascade 2x thing) won in a round that didn't even feel like a game. Was stupid.
>>
>>55232086
I've said it once, I'll say it a million times

The Commander community is the worst part of the magic community by a mile
>>
>>55232398
the competitive commander community*
>>
>>55232633
no, it's all awful
>>
>>55230730
This is pasta
>>
File: samefacebrownwoman.png (493KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
samefacebrownwoman.png
493KB, 850x1100px
Commie post modernists starting to run the lore and art into the ground in a hobby of 95% white old men.

>Hey guys maybe if we put enough ugly brown women onto the cards they will start playing the game!
>Who needs asian or poo in loo male walkers that actually play the game en masse overseas, we need ugly black women a demographic liked by nobody
>We need the black nationalist Egyptian conspiracy theorist demographic
>>
>>55232700
I wanted to like Saheeli, I never hated her but she just never did anything. Also that smug grin during cat combo season started to get to me.
>>
File: saheeli rai.jpg (164KB, 1200x956px) Image search: [Google]
saheeli rai.jpg
164KB, 1200x956px
>>55232700
I don't get how they manage to make them look decent outside of their cards, but god awful when it's actually a card representing them and only them.
>>
File: blur of blades.jpg (109KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
blur of blades.jpg
109KB, 850x500px
>>55232700
>>55232789
I mean honestly, is it that hard to swap around the non-garbage art?
>>
>>55220531
Yeah okay buddy. Was it a 1v1 in a 50 square foot room? Fucking kys
>>
>>55232785
>>55232789
What really baffles me is they haven't printed ethnically asian walkers outside of Tamiyo who is a moon alien when that is their second largest market and the one they need more draw in. Wheres my goddamn Liu Bei walker?
>>
>>55232789
Art by committee
>>
My first tournament may very well have been my last.

>2007, RAV/TSP standard. I'm playing naya slivers like a scrub
>Go to LGS holding a saturday tournament
>round 1 go up against local big name playing Niv Mizzet Curiosity Combo
>game 1 he finds niv but no curiosity, I go wide and beat him, he's salty
>Game 2 I present for cuts, he shoves my deck off the table.
>I go "dude wtf" and get my deck back together, he announces it's now game 3, I got a game loss for delay of game.
>still newb and figure "fuck it, if I beat him once I can beat him again"
>draw my opening hand, some of the cards are upside down because I was scooping them off the floor
>opponent notices me flipping the cards, scoops up my entire deck.
>Announces to the store that I was "a cheater who marks his cards" and my deck was now store property.
>Store employee says they don't condone cheating and if I'm suspended for 6 months, if they catch me playing magic before that expires I'll be banned for life.

The only reason I stayed with the game is that someone else at the tournament talked to another LGS owner who actually was closer to my house and gave me an exact copy of the 60 I brought that day (no rares, cost them maybe $5 to put together)

And that's why 10 years later I still play, and still tell people to avoid The Dugout at all costs.
>>
>>55232828
Narset. Sarkhan, if you want to be technical.
>>
>>55232828
That's how you know it's leftist propaganda rather than marketing.
Neither asians (2nd largest market) nor latin-americans (3rd largest market) like blacks, let's fill every set with black people!
At least Huatli and other natives are allowed to look like natives because the token black representation is already taken up by pirates, unlike not!egyptians and not!indians who got replaced by sub-saharan africans.
>>
>>55232835
Yeah, that probably explains how a common like >>55232803 can get away with making Samut look cool, skilled, and have a nice facial expression, while >>55232700 as a mythic has to be very safe and two shades darker for no particular reason.

I honestly skipped over a lot of the lore of Kaladesh and Amonkhet, but that common makes me far more interested about Samut than every other card I saw of her.
>>
This thread became extremely depressing, extremely quickly

I hate people
>>
File: 1491354007487.jpg (44KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1491354007487.jpg
44KB, 960x540px
>>55232838
Good lord.
>>
>>55232838
Those people sound like most of the Magic fans I've encountered. I really enjoy the game, but I never play it, because there's nowhere nearby that has a decent community.
>>
>>55232918
/r9k/ loves to claim grognards in power would be better than Chad's world. This thread proves how wrong they are.
I had something somewhat similar to this >>55232838 happen to me where after losing a game of a tournament against the owner he took my Batterskull and said we were playing for ante and he would DQ me if I couldn't produce another copy and shuffle my deck in 2 minutes.
So I slapped him on the face, took my card, told him I would call the police and tell on them for gambling if he didn't apologize out loud and explain to everyone at the store that ante was discontinued because it's ilegal in most states. Then left and denounced them to WotC, they lost their WPN and eventually ended up closing.
>>
Reading the posts in this thread I realize that my overall Magic experience has been fine.

But I made my brother quit the game for a while because of my casual deck.
>>
>First time in a tournament, or even playing at a LGS at all
>Innistrad/RTR Standard
>Somewhere around 13 or 14
>Playing a budget UB mill deck with a bunch of unblockable attackers, Trepanation Blade, and some Cipher spells
>First round was chill, facing RW humans
>Second round was against a huge neckbeard who smelled strongly of tobacco
>He was playing some monogreen ramp deck, and nearly everything but the ramp spells were mythic rare - playsets of Garruk (first time I actually saw a Planeswalker card), big wurms, other creatures; don't remember what exactly
>I was really quiet, barely said anything at all, just saying what I was doing in the game
>He got pissed every time I said anything
>Game 1, he crushed me quickly and berated me for running a "shitty deck for poor people"
>Game 2, I got lucky and milled out half of his deck
>He got really mad, literally flipped the table over, nearly hitting me with it, and stormed out
>Half of my deck was ruined
>The store owner got upset at me and kicked me out of the tournament
>>
>>55218015
Played EDH with twins, friends of a good friend, a few times. They're both rude powergaming fags and I can never remember which one is which.
>>
>>55232838
>>55233079

You can yell, threaten, whatever me, but the SECOND you try to question my integrity I'm fucking rage mode.

9/10, I'm sweating.
>>
>>55230929
Anger is ugly.
It's poetic.
>>
File: Enslave.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Enslave.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>Be me
>New Phyrexia Prerelease
>2-0 so far. Paired with some guy that never frequents the store.
>Chubby bearded numale with a sort of faggy voice with some hipster looking gear on him.
>We cut decks, I say "Good luck, dude." and he responds "pfft, whatever."
>O-ok.
>Play pic related on his Sheoldred
>He gets really fucking salty afterwards and starts huffing
>My turn comes around: "upkeep, Enslave deals 1 to you, Sheoldred's trigger I ge--"
>"UH, NO? ENSLAVE DEALS ONE TO YOU."
>what.
>"JUDGE!!!"
>Judge: "Yeah?"
>"This guy is not respecting the ruling of the card correctly. He's claiming I lose 1 life due to Enslave."
>Judge: ".......No, he's right. It says 'to its owner'. You're the owner since you 'own' the Sheoldred. He just merely controls it, like it says on the card text above.
>He says nothing.
>After some awkward silence and huffing, I beat him and just don't say anything, not even a handshake.
>"Just so you know, that was really fucking bullshit man." said the numale in a angsty tone.
>"Ok. So what's going to make you feel better?"
>"That if I didn't have to get ganged up by your fucking cronie friends, piece of shit that was so unfair I come here from far away to have some fucking fun and then you come along and acts all smu--"
>I just fucking get up with my bag, not even making an expression. Not even saying anything back.
>"YEAH WELL FUCK YOU TOO" he screamed
>Tell the storeowner "Yeah he's being a dick. Just keep an eye on him."
>He just storms off like 2 minutes later.
>Never see the guy again

Absolute faggotry that made me have a disgust to beards and trendy hipsters.

At the end of the day, Foil Enslave art is still pretty bitchin'.
>>
File: Image (2).jpg (38KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).jpg
38KB, 223x310px
>>55218015
>>
>>55233285
You know, it occurs to me Atraxa's lore is that she's an angel that was captured uncorrupted and whole, and then compleated. Enslave technically might retroactively be showing a story moment.
>>
>>55233375
Ment to answer this
>>55221257
>>55221417
>>
>>55233380
They release lore for the new characters in the Commander decks? Where?
>>
Not that bad, really, but me and a friend went to a small potatoes local tourney at our gamestore, more because we had a free weekend. Neither of us are really competitive, and we went expecting to get stomped.
I brought a Black/Green equipment deck, to give an idea of our uncompetitiveness.
First round, I'm up against some guy I've never seen before, kind of a chubber, not yet a landwhale, with a scraggly beard.
Didn't sem too bad up front, he played a red/blue deck with lots of counters.
The first land I put down was a forest, and he smirked and said "this will be fast".
Thanks to a lucky draw on my part, I had a nice assortment of manaramp and gear, but I only got a Drudge Skeleton, a Bear, and a spider he countered. He hadn't been countering most of my shit, since I was playing mostly shit creatures and equipment, or putting gear on my skeleton.
Turn 6-7, I finally get my last piece of equipment, slap it on the skelly, and something like a 15/6 with Trample, Double Strike, and deathtouch slaps his shit in.
He tells me Double Strike and Trample don't work that way and so on, then gets up, grabs his shit, and kicks the table, collapsing a leg.
My cards went everywhere, shit was a mess, the owner came up and kicked him out.

I lost the next one, 2-1.
>>
File: Image (3).jpg (36KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (3).jpg
36KB, 223x310px
>Playing FNM tournament at local store years ago
>I was a kid, english is not first language
>Oponent play Time spiral
>I miss understood the card, so When I was graving my graveyard and my hand, I was going to pick up my lands to mix them in the deck.
>My opponent tell me "no you dont put the lands as well", I said "oh, okay"
>He calls judge
>Complain that I could have cheating, I said that I still had the same lands I had before the spell
>Judge declares that I loose for the fault
>go outside and cry, because that was the first time I felt My own deck was capable of competing and I was on semifinals
>Then a week or 2 later I lost my deck somewhere...
>>
>>55233402
Commander
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/savor-flavor/fifteen-commanders-fifteen-tales-2011-06-22

C15
http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/commander-2015-story

C16
http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/commander-2016-commanders

C17
http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/commander-2017-commanders

Couldn't find the articles for C13 or C14.
>>
File: 51FfwTEcbhL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (37KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
51FfwTEcbhL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
37KB, 350x350px
>these stories
Jesus Fucking Christ, the worst that happened at my first FNM is that I was playing Rakdos Aggro in RTR/THS and I had to face a B/W control player where blood baron is a hard counter of my deck. Lost to him, 3-1 make top 8, face him again.
>>
>>55233522
Thanks! I've been wondering about the lore for a couple of them, especially Inalla.
>>
All the threads where people whine about the SJW boogeymen out to ruin magic
>>
>>55233582
Mark, it's almost midnight where you are.
>>
>>55232860
Tengri is pleased, anon.
>>
>>55233536
>Blood Baron
I love that card, but I couldn't afford it when it was in Standard (I was a poorfag high-school student). Is it viable in any formats now?
>>
File: Disintegrats.png (391KB, 1874x1487px) Image search: [Google]
Disintegrats.png
391KB, 1874x1487px
>>55232918
Here's a funny story about a horrible magic experience to cheer you up.
>>
>>55219776
Well, did you?
>>
File: 1476462453505.jpg (127KB, 548x614px) Image search: [Google]
1476462453505.jpg
127KB, 548x614px
As a bystander.
>Sitting down, shuffling before FNM starts
>normal couple walk in, except things seem really tense
>somehow an argument sparks, forgot how it started
>he starts bringing up seemingly really important shit, like he suspects she's trying to turn him against his mom
>she's just laughing this off
>I personally know this girl, went to high school with her. She's a bitch, but I don't know if she's THAT much of one.
>simmers down, but everyone with even the slight sense of social skills can sense shit could hit the fan at any second
>she decides after pairings are called would be a good time to try and talk this out
>he straight up tells her he's in the middle of a game and that he would call a judge to kick her out of the area if she didn't stay quiet
>"Nathan, you're being ri-"
>"JUDGE"
>she gives an exasperated sigh and storms out the store
>you could tell the guy's on the verge of tears
>everyone's collective face when this is happening

Nothing came out of it, they were back within like 2 weeks.
>>
>>55233625
EDH in B/W lifegain. That's about it.
>>
>>55233657
Not even in a midrange deck in Modern? Aw.
>>
>>55233677
I mean if esper control ever becomes a thing you could use him as a finisher. won't be tier 1 but he dodges the best removal in the format, blocks deaths shadow, angler and tasigur all day and lives through bolt. the only problem would be eldrazi tron.
>>
>>55220215
Did this man's name start with the letter T?
>>
>Back around INN/RTR times
>Just getting back into the game after a break
>Build some white weenie deck of okay potential
>Decide to use only old Revised Plains for my basic lands
>Because sideways T and other white mana symbol
>First two opponents call the judge over claiming counterfeit cards
>Before 3rd round starts he declares that if anyone complains about counterfeit basic lands he's kicking them out of the store
>>
>>55233677
He's sometimes sideboard tech in BW Tokens if you don't own Auriok Champion.
>>
>>55233735
>>55233797
Alright. That's interesting to know. Would a budget BW control with him as a finisher be anything other than shit?
>>
>>55233759
What was it about RTR that brought so many retards into the game?
Some punk ass kid tried to get me DQd because I was using my Arena foil Duress.
>>
>>55233802
>BW Control
Yes.
>Budget
No, you need Liliana of the Veil.
>>
>>55233848
Is it possible without LotVs? And what cards would be important?
>>
>>55233851
thoughtseize, tho you could replace that with duress, inquisition of kozilek, path to exile. maybe fatal push tho it isn't as good without fetchlands. both path and push are expensive tho
>>
>>55233904
Would Sun Lance/Retaliate and Dismember be budget options for starting out?
>>
Went to a different shop that normal to play some EDH when my budds were out of town. Proceeded to sit down at a table of 4 other people who each had the goal of achieving a self masturbation lock on turn three or basically mentally checking out from the game.

I know that powerlevel comes in all forms when it comes to EDH, but this was miserable. No idea why they come to play with each other. They spend three times as much time shuffling their decks between new games and the constant tutoring than they do actually playing the game.

Never again.
>>
Went to Kaladesh prerelease. Did a sealed. Managed to get nothing but vehicle synergy cards and not a single vehicle. Not a one, in an entire sealed pool. Was probably less than a 1 in 1000 chance. Was pretty salty.
>>
>>55233843
Them Guilds, bro. Or something.
>>
>>55234065
I could see that. Easily recognizable logos, color pairs are sorted into ten distinct factions that make them easy to grasp, etc. etc.
>>
>>55233920
Not really, midrange/control lives and dies on card quality beating Burn/Affinity/Merfolk/Death's Shadow and Combo decks' consistency.
>>
>>55233843
>>55234065
My dad had taught me how to play the game when I was 3, but I didn't really get into it until RTR. The guilds were a big part of the reason why (also, I had recently moved somewhere that had a LGS, whereas before, the nearest LGS was an hour or so out).
>>
>>55234089
>Ravnicafags are the soccer fans of magic.
I shudder at the thought.
>>
>>55234094
I can see why Dismember wouldn't be a good replacement for Push, then. What about Tragic Slip? Also, why wouldn't Lance or Retaliate be good?
>>
>>55234113
Victim of Night and Smother are the best next thing after Fatal Push and Path to Exile. You need to be able to reliably kill Eidolon of the Great Revel, Merfolk's Lords, any creature in Affinity, Tarmogoyf and Death's Shadow. Sunlance is only likely to reliably kill Eidolon, and it's a Sorcery instead of Instant.
>>
>>55234235
Other options that I see:
Vendetta (works for everything but Death's Shadow and Etched Champion)
Smother looks really good
Last Breath might help with a few things (early Goyfs, some of the Affinity cards, unboosted Lords, and Eidolon)
Purge could be a nice sideboard card against Affinity and GDS
Shining Shoal and Orzhov Charm are also interesting
>>
>>55232838
>>55233021

These both sound retardedly Fake
>>
>>55234342
The Magic community is full of self-righteous assholes that love to bully any new players. I'd say it's par for the course.
>>
>>55234342
You're lucky. These kind of abusive behaviors from store owners were rather common before the ipod era and people realizing you can actually report this bullshit.
>>
>>55232838
>Game 2 I present for cuts, he shoves my deck off the table.
>I go "dude wtf" and get my deck back together, he announces it's now game 3, I got a game loss for delay of game.
>still newb and figure "fuck it, if I beat him once I can beat him again"

You are either the most beta person on the planet or a liar
>>
>>55234474
Or a kid.
>>
>>55234495
Beta kid, obviously that Chad kid you're replying to would have beaten up his opponent and fucked the store owner's wife
>>
>>55234495
>>55234515
Even if he was 12 when that happened you should have the common sense that knocking over your opponent's deck does not win you the game
>>
>Eternal Masters draft
>Draft WB Control
>End up with fucking EIGHT Calciderms
>Deck is literally just removal and Calciderms
>Win the first two matches handedly
>Third match I go up against a guy that seemed really cool from talking to during the drafting
>Immediately starts flicking his cards
>Plays with his deck sideways
>Spends an hour a turn to do basically nothing
>Gets more and more angry as the turns go one
>*flick**flick**flick**flick**flick**flick**flick**flick*
>Shuffles his graveyard
>*flick**flick**flick**flick**flick**flick**flick**flick*
>Hes down to 5 life and I have two Calciderms on the field
>Spends an hour two drop three creatures
>I remove them all on my turn
>Guy jumps out of his chair and screams "WHAT THE FUCK HE ALWAYS HAS REMOVAL"
>Whole store looks over at us
>Dead fucking silence as the guy pretend punches the wall and sits back down
>"OKAY FINE! You won"
>Shuffles his deck for ten minutes
>Offer my deck to him
>He basically pile shuffles my deck as a cut
>He gets a shit eating grin on his face that sticks there for 4 turns
>I play a Calciderm
>He removes it
>I play a Calciderm
>He removes it
>I play a Calciderm
>He removes it
>I play a Calciderm
>He removes it
>His shit eating grin would put the joker to shame
>"You may as well just give up now I beat your cheep trick!"
>I play a Calciderm
>He just stares at me with utter hate
>He does nothing but drop a land on his turn
>Swing for 5
>He drops a creature
>I remove it
>Swing for 5
>He drops a creature
>I remove it
>Swing for 5
>He drops a creature
>I remove it
>Swing for 5
>Guy screams bloody murder and slaps his deck
>It goes flying across the table and mostly ends up in my lap and the floor
>Store just stares at us
>Guy runs straight to the guy that was sitting next to me during the draft
>"WHY DID YOU LET HIM HAVE SO MUCH REMOVAL! YOU IDIOT!"
>Storms out the store
>Store owner comes over and picks up his cards
>Store owner apologizes to me and says that guy is always like that
>>
>>55234675
>Plays with his deck sideways
Is this the mark of a tryhard player because I do this. I don't flick my cards though
>>
>>55234712
No idea. He was the first person I ever saw play with his deck sideways. I've seen a few more sense then but it just baffles me why anyone would do it. It just looks weird.

The thing that really annoys me is the people who put exiled cards into their graveyard sideways. Makes me jittery as fuck since it would be so easy to mix them back in and "forget" they were exiled.
>>
>>55234755
>The thing that really annoys me is the people who put exiled cards into their graveyard sideways. Makes me jittery as fuck since it would be so easy to mix them back in and "forget" they were exiled.
I've seen people do just that.
>>
>>55223447
>Kid has one hexproof creature he has super vultroned
>I play a card saying "Each player chooses a creature he or she controls and sacrifices it"
>Proceed to spend the next hour trying to explain that it gets around hexproof because its not targeting
>Kid even argues with the store owner
>Kid even argues with his dad who has been playing longer than I've been alive
>>
>>55224260
>Playing high stakes draft
>Each player is given a prize pack
>If you lose you must forfeit all prize packs you have to the guy who beat you and your out of the running
>We just keep playing until there is no one else to play
>You are allowed to drop at any time and keep what packs you currently have
>Started with around 80 people
>Just won 4 games in a row and I'm happy with what I got so I'm about to leave
>Guy sees me packing up and basically runs to me
>Challenges me to another game
>I ask to see how many packs he has
>Figure why not
>Once I agree he informs me I should just surrender and hand over my packs
>Cocky as fuck
>Literally every turn has some shitty little thing to say
>"Oh! Look what I just drew! Well I guess you cant so you will have to wait."
>Seriously start asking myself if I fell into an anime this fucking guy is so over the top full of himself
>He starts strong but drew into a pocket of lands for a few turns
>I swing the board soundly in my favor and am one turn away from winning
>Not even a board wipe will save him
>"Hey you said you were leaving right? That's fine lets just chalk this up to a friendly side game ok?"
>He reaches for his deck
>I tell him no and that I want my packs
>He looks around but since we had two or three guys watching gives up and hands them over

I fucking hate cocky fucks that try to weasel out of it when its over for them.
>>
>>55234675
how did he remove four calciderms in a row?
>>
>>55234911
He drew literally all his removal in his opening hand. He thought I only had like a play set of them so he kept a starting hand with no creatures. He pacified two and swords the last two.
>>
>>55234967
>Pacified two and Swords the last two
Calciderm has shroud, genius.
>>
>>55234967
>Pacify and swords on a shroud creature
>>
Fucking friend of a friend, It wasnt major, but he was being a dick the whole night and was pulling bullshit that the other 2 at the table delt with.
>casual as fuck friends, each bought C2015
>playing slightly modified Ezuri
>Dickman is playing $200 Mizzix
>If we fuck up for mana, its ok if you're new to adjust your mana if its the same phase
>Casts a Cyclonic rift to board clear, I respond with a Mystic snake
>motherfucker says OH WAIT
>untaps island, retaps a mountain
>CRYPTIC COMAND
Only time in my life I almost got into a fight with someone over magic.
>>
>playing friendly 5man FFA game with friends after school
>one guy in group has been playing much longer than the rest of us
>guy eventually drops Memnarch, Mycosynth Lattice, and some Myrs I can't remember
>loops Myrs to generate infinite mana, takes control of all permanents in the game
>want to scoop, guy throws a hissy fit
>friends take his side, say that he earned it
>guy doesn't swing, ever, just keeps taking control of lands as they enter so we're still neutered
>other players are eating it up
>guy spends 25 minutes slowly playing the rest of his deck, practically jerking himself off at this point
>guy "finally" finishes his deck, casts fireball for exactly enough to finish all other players
>puts himself down to 1 with fireball cause he "has nothing to worry about"
>claims the fireball was at the bottom of his deck, despite the fact he always had 1 card in hand and top decked the rest of the game

Just having to sit there and watch someone solitaire their deck for about half an hour because your friends won't let you concede was rough. Plus I was hosting so kicking them out would lead to a falling out. I simply didn't host again so I wouldn't ever be in that position.
>>
>>55223447
>I know more rules than anyone in my playgroup.
>I am constantly explaining why my spells and tricks work and why my opponents's don't.
Feels bad.
>>
>>55220433
Doesn't Meren have a decent amount of artifact and enchantment destruction? Surely you could have destroyed it to play the game a bit better. It's still a cunt move from him though.
>>
>>55218568
I had this experience drafting Journey to Nyx. I got nothing but hot trash, picked two colours, had to change both after 2 boosters pass with nothing to pick.

I end up 9th or 10th? Maybe two people had non-retard decks consisting of enchant creature tribal synergy .
>>
>>55234675
Calciderm has shroud. Also what's wrong with deck being sideways? I like drawing better when it's sideways
>>
>>55218349
Idk how losing to a new player on the kitchen table is a bad experience.
>>
>>55221638
I always try to encourage younger players who seem normal, god knows the player base needs fresh younger players and less cunt players.
>>
>>55219665
Ive been lucky only to play with a few people like this, one guy even called a judge over because I drew a card and then physically untapped my lands on the board. He said he thought I that I had tapped out in my uptap phase, then drawn. In this instance the judge was also the store owner and didnt give a hot fuck.

I wouldn't even react if my opponent chose to count out the creatures for me, if someone hands me cards to count or does it in front of me, in instances like this, its obvious whats happening. The only time you need to get pedantic is if your cards refer to graveyard order or someone misinterprets rules like Surgical Extraction with Archive Trap because of the "you" clause.

Calling over a judge should be a last resort, you should always be able to explain wording and agree on rules if there's a misunderstanding and continue the game
>>
>>55218015
>Been playing for like 5 years at the same store
>Friend's with the dude who works there and runs the tournaments, he lets us play there after hours and seems like a cool guy
>start bringing gf to tournaments
>one day she gets a bunch of messages on facebook from an obviously fake profile asking her to send nudes for money
>She thinks its the guy who works at the store, but we both kind of just shrug it off
>like a year later that guy gets fired because he was he asked to buy nudes from the store owner's under aged granddaughter on facebook
>Turns out he's been doing this for awhile to almost every girl that comes in the store that he can find on facebook.

I just feel so dirty that I was friends with this guy for so long and didn't notice he was a creep. I'll never forgive myself for not taking my gf seriously about that shit when she first got those messages, I just thought it was a bot or something.
>>
>>55234474
>>55234515
>>55234608
I was 15 and played YGO a lot more back then, a game that has VERY harsh penalties for accusing the opponent of wrongdoing. To put it bluntly, if I think my opponent misunderstood a card effect, I COULD call a judge, but if I'm wrong it's a game loss at least, and only a warning if I'm right.

Maybe I was beta back then. But I've made an effort to get better and not let people bullshit me like that. It helps that I've never had anything that comes close to that in the 10 years since then.
>>
>>55236402
>Calling over a judge should be a last resort, you should always be able to explain wording and agree on rules if there's a misunderstanding and continue the game

Judge here, we hate that logic. We are brought to the event to make sure everything runs smoothly. We want to help, not give out penalties - especially at the FNM level. The goal is to educate above all else.

Some card interaction got you confused? Call a judge.
Someone accidentally saw something they shouldn't? Call a judge.
Someone wants to know EXACTLY what that Russian card does? Call a judge.
Someone thinks their opponent is cheating? Call a judge, away from the table.

More than 9 times out of 10 a judge call is harmless. We don't want players to be scared of us.
>>
>>55236524
At the same time, some judges are assholes, and will purposefully misrule things in favor of their friends/against decks they don't like.
>>
>>55236557
1) they're more rare than you think.
2) good judges will always encourage you to report bad judges for being a shit.
3) a judge that loses his judge certification for being a shit (or any reason that isn't letting certs lapse) gets an automatic lifetime DCI ban.
4) most cases of shitty judge are with people who aren't judges at all but claim to be. This also can and often does result in a lifetime DCI ban.
>>
>>55236524
I almost always have no issues, but there are some judges who make people uncomfortable and there are players who use judges 'against' opponents unnecessarily for simple mistakes, which is all Im really talking about.
>>
>>55236600
Good to know. Another thing, tangentially related:
This guy worked at an LGS in town for a couple years. He opened his own this year. There are rumors going around that during his time at the other LGS, he would register anyone attempting to play there at his store instead. It's more popular than the old store, and most of the Magic crowd has moved there (he's banned all other card games), so most of the people he signed up ended up being there anyways, but is what he did in violation of anything?
>>
>>55236622
It really depends on the level of play. If I'm at fnm where the stakes aren't too high and the enforcement is relaxed, then I won't call a judge for drawing extra cards or a game rule violation or anything like that, although straight up cheating doesn't fly. But at pptq or gp trial you bet your ass I will call a judge if you do something wrong, this is a competitive game and mistakes should have consequences.
>>
>>55236636
It's poor form if its behind the owners back but it's more of a business legal issue. Poaching clients is a grey area but the owner could sue based on the confidentiality of the information being taken.
>>
>>55236622
>players who use judges 'against' opponents unnecessarily for simple mistakes

Can you elaborate? At anything that is Regular REL (90% of your events will be at regular) a misplay won't have any effect other than a "don't make that same mistake again please". The only things that go against that are the Serious Issues, which we are required to DQ for:
--Bribery/Improperly Determining a Winner (the most common DQ, especially for new players but we're getting in legal trouble if we aren't hardasses about it)
--Blatant Cheating/Fraud (knowingly doing something illegal to gain an advantage)
--Unsportsmanlike Conduct - Aggressive Behavior (requires a punch thrown or similar)

Anything else is a finger-wag.
>>
>>55236674
As far as I know, it's just name and DCI info. And it was completely behind the owner's back.
>>
>>55224554
good thing they try hard to not print enough land destruction or discard spells or good counterspells to enable those kind of decks in standard and modern.
>>
>>55236636
It's WER (Wizards Event Reporter) Fraud, likely to get extra promos to sell.

If it could be proven then wizards WILL shut him down. Period.
>>
>>55236692
I don't know how it could be proven. It's just rumors, as far as I know, and pretty much every regular Magic player in town goes there. You can smell the tobacco about a block away.
>>
>>55222349
Except that's not how it works, you fucking idiot. Your opponent was completely in the right. It's not a "may" ability, so you can't cast it without a valid target. /tg/ is bad at magic, confirmed yet again.
>>
>>55236716
Incorrect friend

Rulings
11/24/2014 If you control no other creatures as Ambush Krotiq’s triggered ability resolves, nothing happens. Ambush Krotiq remains on the battlefield.
11/24/2014 The triggered ability doesn’t target any permanent. You choose which one to return as the ability resolves. No player can respond to this choice once the ability starts resolving.
>>
>>55236716
>being this bad at magic
>>
my first rare was solarion and everyone thought it was a bomb.
we were kid and It had a special place in heart so i decided to not trade it away and keep it.
so my neighbours ( 2 kids, the elder one was of my age, i used to play every day with them) decided to flat out steal it from me; after like 1 year and a half the elder brother gives it back to me saying " we found it in one of our drawer, you might have lost it while playing with us at our home". it was in what i like to describe as "near pulverized +" conditions.

what makes me the most angry about it is that their family was way way more wealthy than my poor one and the kids got more toys each christhmas that i could ever hope to get in a decade.
>>
>>55236677
It's always rare occasions with particular people, I got a judge thrown at me after my opponent played a surgical extraction, top decked. Lost his first game, about to lose second, he was unhappy about it, I show him my hand, no targets. I flush my deck and kinda offer it to him assuming he already knows all the cards I have and tell him I only had two, both in the graveyard. He calls the judge over because he was the one who was supposed to search the deck and I cheated.

Another time I got pulled up on cutting my own deck after an opponent had shuffled it for me, even though he failed to do so before returning it.

Living in Western Australia though, I have to fly for Grand Prix events in Sydney, ive only ever done two, both went...alright but no rule issues. All my bad experiences are at FLGS tournaments.
>>
>>55236716
You're incorrect because it's not an additional casting cost, its an enter the battlefield effect.
>>
>>55236867
Reminds me of when an opponent cast surgical extraction on my collected company.

>Pick up deck
>Tell him I'm going to remove the other 3, then he can have a look at the rest of my deck
>UH NO, I'm going to do it as those are the rules
>okie dokie

Rest of the match was fine and I ended up winning, but was just surprised at the sudden insistence.
>>
>>55236882
Not to mention that ETB effects don't target when you cast the card, so there is no checking of legality of the card. You can also play cards like Cast out or Banisher Priest without a legal target because essentially the cast doesn't know about the ETB effect.
>>
>>55236824
>solarion
Thats a nice one, I was attached to a Crush of the Worms card that I built a deck around for most of primary school. but my ultimate betrayal and salvation was as a 7 year old in 1999, Im about to choose the new Yugioh card game to play with most of my friends. I open my first booster and get a Blue Eyes White dragon, I shit my pants, I never get lucky with anything but its the same as in the show, I dont even have a deck. Immediately, this thing gets stolen from me by some other kid in school. Mum takes pity, Im pretty bummed out, shes nice and back then Magic and Yugioh cards were sold everywhere, she buys me magic boosters by mistake. Wasnt even mad the art was way better and even as a kid I enjoyed the premise way more.
>>
File: w.png (548KB, 1039x522px) Image search: [Google]
w.png
548KB, 1039x522px
>>
>>55218015
My cards got rotated out of Standard. That was the end of my youthful innocence.
>>
>>55237076
This was one of my worst experiences, the switch from fun kitchen table Magic to the hell hole that was FNM at my game shop. No problem now, just remember being dropped of by my mom with a friend and learning we played wrong and nothing we owned was legal.
>>
>>55237310
Going to FNM at all was a mistake for me. If I never played Magic at an LGS, I think I'd still enjoy it.
>>
>>55237310
>around RTR/Theros
>lgs always offered people to come there and just kinda play whatever format they want
>suddenly decide they are going to do fnm standard
>tfw
>everyone plays either monoblack devotion or selesnya

atleast the people were nice and I picked up thoughtseize because of this but damn, standard made me quit the game for almost a year. luckily they went back to letting people play whatever.
>>
>Doing a draft a few weeks ago
>RTR at the bar, favorite cheap set to draft
>P1p1 the +3/+3 enchantment
>Get handed a populate deck on a silver platter
>Only removal is an arrest and the 6 drop exile, populate but whatever i have tokens and +3/+3 enchantment
>Game 1, turn 2 packrat
>Game 2 turn 2 packrat
>Match 2, little salty, whatever nothing beats packrat.
>Game 1 turn 2 packrat
>Game 2 turn 2, packrat
>Arrest the packrat, win eventually
>Game 3 turn 2 packrat
>>
>>55234967
nice fake story
>>
>>55231033
I've met a kid who made tokens that worked as swamps from ADD B to your mana pool
>>
>>55220178
I'm 23 and I lost my shit over losing at Counterstrike last night.
>>
>>55221093
that's painful just to read, let alone experience and have in your past. I am sorry anon.
>>
>>55230730
>please, never do this. you might discourage someone from playing the game.
OH GOD ANYTHING BUT THAT
>>
>>55232700
This.
>>
>>55236524
>>55236557

>Morningtide Pre Release, I'm 11 yo
>got lucky and opened a lot of good cards
>friendly player helped me build a deck
>going 3-0 and doing good
>judge comes to the table, says I get a game loss, because he saw me on the phone when pairings were announced
>Lose that game 2-1
>Judge deck checks me next game
>gives me match loss, because some random cards were turned upside down
>Lose the next game
>Go 3-3, I'm devastated

This guy wasn't even a friend of the owner or something. He was actually from another town, because we needed judges and someone asked him. Some judges just like to be assholes.
>>
>>55238198
From what I've seen, Magic players tend to not like new people playing - especially if those people are younger than them.
>>
>>55232838
>and my deck was now store property.
LOL if they tried that shit on me I'd call the cops and break that grog fuck's neck. No way they're taking my cards. This shit is why I don't understand how people can have fun with competitive magic. So much autism over ""cheating"" because the 500 dollar cards make it so that it's all super serious. Fuck wizards of the coast.
>>
File: 1492841687630.jpg (80KB, 417x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492841687630.jpg
80KB, 417x600px
>>55236716
May you have shitty hands and shitter mulligans until who knows when.
>>
>>55233079
>The store owner got upset at me and kicked me out of the tournament
I hope you never gave that fuck another cent.
>>
>>55238411
I didn't so much as go near that store for 4 years. They had to move to a smaller location, and were down to 8 regulars.
>>
>>55220531
Fake
>>
>>55238455
Holy shit. I guess a lot of LGS go out of business for their own faults. Heh.
>>
>>55238534
Yeah. Great when it happens to the bad ones, sad when it happens to the good ones.
>>
>>55233079
>Resident neckbeard tryhard
>Wasnt playing omnidoorthragfire, blink.dec or G/R monsters in inn/rtr
Summin aint right
>>
>>55232806
>>55238488
Not him, but I went to a huge cinema and because someone smelled like weed down the front, I got stopped on the way home. They had sniffer dogs at the train station. Weird scenario.
>>
>>55234806
>Being born during or after 1994
>2017
Ishygddt
>>
>>55222012
Bruh, I stopped going to prereleases after getting fucking exhausted tracking for outright cheating. Misinterpretations, mistaps, take backs, whatever else I don't really care about, especially if you're cool and we're just chilling. But fucking outright cheating at a prerelease is the dumbest thing ever.

>Aether Revolt prerelease
>I'm 2-1 with a solid U/G flying deck
>Fourth opponent is R/W vehicles
>Guy has like 6 mana, 1 white
>Has 3 Consulate Dreadnaught on the field
>Keeps quickly saying he attacks me with all three crewed every turn
>"With what mana dude, you have 1 white"
>He then untaps all his land and passes
>Repeatedly trying to kill my creature with the same damage to "Target player"
>So many four-ofs he obviously pulled from last nights prerelease

It's a fucking drain to have to deal with this for an hour. I ended up winning and just took my prize packs for the rounds and left.
>>
>>55238211
I played against a kid so new he didn't even have sleeves one prerelease. He'd pulled a mythic, I think it might have been Gideon Ally. He was real excited and built his deck around it even though the rest of his pool for white was bad, so he lost without getting to do much and seemed pretty down. I ended up buying a pack of decent sleeves and gave them to him and he nearly cried in gratitude. His mom was there and I saw him show her the Gideon in the sleeve.

Some people are too petty, it's good to encourage people.
>>
>>55236432
What's wrong about asking for nudes?
It's like going out with a girl, if she likes the idea you'll get wet, otherwise no harm.
>>
>>55239435
Are you genuinely autistic?
>>
>>55220178
>my dad gave me the belt whenever i started crying over a game
What the fuck is wrong with people?
>>
>>55239495
Are you genuinely dumb?
Who shapes your morality, Fox news or the local church?
>>
>>55239741
>Who shapes your morality

A sense of empathy and consideration for the feelings of others.
>>
>>55239391
If more of the Magic community was like you, I'd probably still be playing regularly.
>>
>>55239021
Joke's on you, I was born Dec 31st 93!
>>
Most LGS magic players are fucking retarded I tell ya. Its like they only look up decks and buy them but never took the time to read the rules.
>>
>>55236447
>To put it bluntly, if I think my opponent misunderstood a card effect, I COULD call a judge, but if I'm wrong it's a game loss at least, and only a warning if I'm right.
Given the quality writing in YGO rules a decade ago that sounds like a questionable system at best.

Or can you get around it by claiming you're having trouble understanding how the card works?
>>
Reading through these posts it seems like mtg players are all shitty people, I'm not sure I want to start playing anymore.
>>
>>55240128
Save yourself the trouble and the money.
>>
>>55240128
It shouldn't come as a surprise that a thread about the worst experiences people have had with the game paint the community in a bad light.
>>
>>55221763
how do you make sure a player doesn't cheat in sealed play?
>>
>>55240342
You kind of don't, unless they do something really obvious like slot in extra rares.
>>
>>55240128
Ive never had bad experiences in the four years that I have been playing in LGSs. Some salty opponents being passive aggressive after losing but thats about it. The community is very receiving and nice for the most part in my experience.
>>
>>55237849
I did too. He tore up a leaf from a nearby bush to use as tokens. First time I'd ever seen Dark Ritual played. I was playing using a top-tier control deck I'd borrowed from a camp counselor that I had no hope of being able to pilot.

We were 8-9 years old and I look back on it fondly.
>>
File: kek.png (48KB, 493x386px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
48KB, 493x386px
>>55233628
fucking incredible
>>
>>55218568
>rare redraft
kill them all
>>
>>55218015
Playing it.
>>
>>55232700
they don't have the same faces

why is it so upsetting to you that some of the people from these fictional settings are women with darker skin? do you get upset if the goblins are the wrong color too?

>women must be attractive
yeah because every male character that gets printed is a handsome hero right? i'm sure you'll tell me its all aesthetics or that art should look good but that's literally just you saying "my opinion is right on this subjective area where many disagree."
>>
>>55238198
>>judge comes to the table, says I get a game loss, because he saw me on the phone when pairings were announced
wut
How does that even make sense
>>
>>55228496
>my mom's boyfriend's old cards
Kek.
Is this /tg/'s equivalent of my wife's son?
>>
>>55239435
>>55239741
>casual sex/relationship fags desecrating the sanctity of the human form
wew
>>
>>55239782
not him but the first time I ever went to fnm I brought a deck made out of bulk and some cards werent even standard legal. two guys talked with me before starting and very nicely told me that I was going to have trouble with that deck so they built me one from their rare binders. it wasn't a really good deck but that gave me a really good first impression of the game and its community. maybe thats why I like helping people with their decks or I like giving away cards that I dont think I'll ever use and are not really expensive.
>>
>>55240670
See, the Magic community around here would just mock and glare at someone in that situation, and then circlejerk about it if they leave. I'm glad that they all moved to their new 'safe space for Magic' store - less toxic environment for every other game.
>>
File: Kyren Negotiations.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Kyren Negotiations.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>55240582
>do you get upset if the goblins are the wrong color too?
Kyren were a mistake. They're not real goblins and obviously a thinly veiled and offensive reference to Jews.
>>
>>55240662
I only want serious relationships.
Just because I don't like something it doesn't mean I think people shouldn't be free to do whatever they want.

>the sanctity of the human form
Nothing holy about humans.
>>
>>55240648
This is the reality of life in the world today, anon. You live in a society where divorce has been destigmatized and single parent households are increasingly becoming the norm rather than the exception.
>>
>>55233628
damn
>>
>>55239722
Wut? There's literally nothing wrong with that you faggot. Not even that anon, either

>letting kids grow up thinking it's okay to throw a fit over losing a game
Stoicism is a virtue.
>>
>>55240729
>radical freedom fag
>implying the naked human form having high value and scarcity isn't good for everyone involved, "holy" or not
I bet you're a libertarian.
>>
>>55233079
>>Somewhere around 13 or 14
Underage b& pls go.
>>
>>55240982
I'm 22 now. It's been nearly a decade since that format.
>>
>>55240982
RtR was almost 5 years ago, old man.
>>
>>55241001
That math doesn't work out at all, anon.
>>
>>55240582
Women as brown as those planeswalkers make up about 6% of the US population, in terms of playing magic they are probably less than a tenth of a percent of the player base.

If you're not gonna print cards that are either aesthetically appealing or relatable to the majority of the players you are pushing an agenda.

When all the new planeswalkers are brown women with unappealing designs its just stupid and goofy. Like if all the planeswalkers were ethnically jewish hebrews or something.
>>
>>55241018
I don't remember exactly how old I was. I remember that I used cards from RtR block and Innistrad block, that I was early in my teen years, and the assholes at the LGS.
>>
>>55240895
So intead of telling him to shut the fuck up and teach him how to become a better player you beat him?
You're dumb as fuck hope you bever get kids.
>>
>>55241001
>>55241007
Go away, kiddos.
>>
>>55241039
>kids
>understanding the proverbial "shut the fuck up" and why crying over losing a game is wrong
>implying anon's dad beat him for losing games, rather than just for crying about losing like a bitch
There is literally nothing wrong with corporeal punishment.
>>
>>55239037
Why is mana relevant? You crew with creatures attack power
>>
>>55241066
>People under the age of 30 can't play childrens' card games like Turn Cardboard Sideways
>>
>>55236937
You can always refuse to let someone touch your deck. It's your property and just imagine the grubby unwashed cheeto dusted semen stained hands of some nerd sweating all over your cards.
>>
File: .png (131KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
.png
131KB, 223x311px
>>55241151
I think he means this guy
>>
>>55241033
You'd have been at least 16 if you're 22 now.
>>
>>55233656
>>you could tell the guy's on the verge of tears
Wait, why?
>>
>>55241025
>plane modeled on india
>indian woman planeswalker
>plane modeled on egypt
>woman who looks vaguely nubian (sure egyptians weren't subsaharan africans but there were darker skinned people in kingdoms ruled by egypt)
>plane vaguely mesoamerica
>mesoamerican looking woman planeswalker

wow dude truly a pushed agenda.

maybe most people don't care that much about the art? maybe people can relate to their cardboard without it being either a sex object, a dragon, or a white guy? perhaps you are in the minority about the art?

Also, you seem to just be pulling a lot of things from your ass my man, and sure you can accuse me of doing the same. the difference is you're trying to convince me this is awful, and I have literally 0 evidence to say it is and perhaps some that says you're not really being honest (or perhaps no amount of evidence would sway you, I don't know).
>>
File: 1494836731350.jpg (68KB, 600x788px) Image search: [Google]
1494836731350.jpg
68KB, 600x788px
>>55235891
i know that feel
it's gotten to the point where the others at my LGS regularly go to me for rule judgements
i have had to explain to a lot of people the differences between passive, activated, triggered, and mana abilities are a lot of times thanks to pithing needle.
>some fuck pithing needles my tireless tracker way back while i'm still a newbie
>later have to explain to him that no, pithing needle does not work like that holy shit dude you've been playing for decades how do you not know this

it also doesn't help that half the people don't seem capable of reading their cards.
>watching a casual game of commander while doing some stuff on my laptop, preparing for our RPG night
>somebody plays kozilek, the great distortion and somehow reads its two abilities respectively as an ETB trigger and 'counter target spell with a converted mana cost X or less'
>blows his hand countering everyone's removal
>uses mirrorpool to copy it onto the battlefield
>bonus points for him asking me if the copy ETBs
>draws back up to 7
>meanwhile everyone around the table thinks kozilek's OP as fuck how is this not banned etc
>but whatever it's fucking 12 mana
>later check it on gatherer
>it's a cast trigger and it's converted mana cost X exactly
>beat him over the head with this next time i see him
in hindsight i should've had a solid look at it, but i wasn't fucking playing so whatever
seeing trepanation blade referenced online is also always kind of weird, because everybody else in my LGS calls it fucking 'trepidation blade' and almost conditioned me into thinking that was the correct name before i tried looking it up and discovered no such card exists.

>>55235051
my brother did that shit all the time, at least until recently
>wait let's go back to the beginning of combat if i'd known you'd attack with that i'd have tapped it with this thing
it doesn't help that he's a blue/black cunt
>>
>>55241568
also forgot to mention that no, it wasn't 12 mana either, it was 10.
some people need to READ THEIR FUCKING CARDS
>>
>>55234675
Uh, isn't there a limit of 4 copies?
>>
>>55241659
Not in limited. You can play as many copies as you open/draft.
>>
>>55241659
Not in limited play.
>>
>>55241554
Hell I play Samut in RG Pummeler and shes a fine card, but I hate supporting companies that engage in shit like pretending subsaharans are the actual egyptians trying to ethnically cleanse history of the Berbers and ancient Mediterraneans.
People generally don't care about the art but if were discussing art, 3 ugly photo realistic style brown women in a world where literally any fantasy creature of intelligence can be a planeswalker then the art direction is literally being driven by the desire for post modernist diversity.
>>
File: 1499316143121.jpg (102KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
1499316143121.jpg
102KB, 500x650px
>>55241765
>where literally any fantasy creature of intelligence can be a planeswalker
fucking this
where's my birb planesquawker to go in my birb decks, wizards?
>>
>>55236824
It's always like that.
>>
>>55241120
Maybe if you're a troglodyte.
>>
>>55241765
>tfw no pirate dinosaur planeswalker
>>
>>55241765
Ideal block? Post-postmodern classical Roman plane with a return to traditional aesthetics and interesting gameplay.
>>
>>55241151
>>55241208
You're right, I totally forgot to mention Peacewalker Colossus.

Either way, the guy was a tool.
>>
>>55241599
>always read cards
>know the rules the best out of all my friends
>play EDH with Heliod as my commander and have the wrong devotion to turn him on in my head, never checking the card and playing with it wrong the entire game
>>
File: Warlord of Krosa.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Warlord of Krosa.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>55241826
Squirrel walker when? WotC is really missing the boat here.
>>
>>55238636

I know it may be hard to believe but those dogs aren't infallible. Theyre dogs. They probably smelled your unwashed nards and went looking for cheese.
>>
>>55236937
>>Been playing for like 5 years at the same store
>>Friend's with the dude who works there and runs the tournaments, he lets us play there after hours and seems like a cool guy
>>start bringing gf to tournaments
>>one day she gets a bunch of messages on facebook from an obviously fake profile asking her to send nudes for money
>>She thinks its the guy who works at the store, but we both kind of just shrug it off
>>like a year later that guy gets fired because he was he asked to buy nudes from the store owner's under aged granddaughter on facebook
>>Turns out he's been doing this for awhile to almost every girl that comes in the store that he can find on facebook.
It's better to let them do it because if they miss one it's their fault and you can't be punished for it.
>>
File: onlynonretardedcardicouldfind.png (270KB, 375x524px) Image search: [Google]
onlynonretardedcardicouldfind.png
270KB, 375x524px
>>55242655
What Magic really needs is some Hydra support. I can't believe Hydra tribal isn't a thing.
>>
>>55243155
I actually like the look of this guy

>7 mana; expensive as hell but green ramp
>bolt proof
>excellent +2 that plays well with big stompy monsters
>even more excellent -x that works well with literally anything; can effectively put out 4/4 bears ad infinitum with its +2
>-8 is geometric power
WotC pls.
>>
>>55243155
>Hydra support
>Not just another finisher for Elves

>captcha: industrial entrance
>>
>>55242655
>squirrels with trample
kek
>>
>>55242672
FUCKING KEK
probably. I had to get locked up for 30 minutes for a questionnaire and a pat down
>>
>>55240640
The explaination was, that I didn't immediately go to my table, instead i finished the conversation and went there 30 secs later. I was a kid, I couldn't just hang up on my parents.
>>
File: SorinStoned.png (845KB, 750x1056px) Image search: [Google]
SorinStoned.png
845KB, 750x1056px
>>55242655
Wall Planeswalker when?
>>
>>55244156
I mean, he's not totally useless?

2 mana for an indestructible wall is fine.
The deck shuffle might be potentially useful for getting rid of mana screw/flood.
>>
File: SorinStoned.png (836KB, 750x1056px) Image search: [Google]
SorinStoned.png
836KB, 750x1056px
>>55244156
>>55244211
New Errata version.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.