[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Party Bonding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: SzVWQC2.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
SzVWQC2.gif
3MB, 480x270px
How can I encourage my players to actually have conversations in character? The way things are going, because they only have in character discussions when in a crisis, the party simply doesn't seem like they even enjoy each other's company.

We're all friends in real life, so most of our conversations and jokes happen out of character, but that leads to a party without any real bond which is just boring for story telling. Is there something as DM I can do or should I just accept that my party doesn't love roleplaying as much as I do?
>>
>>55216454
Depends on the players. I usually keep a few constant NPCs around, this way they don't have to try and learn new characters and they feel more comfortable just listening in. Eventually, they'll ask each other questions or give suggestions and it snowballs from there.
>>
>>55216454
Have something nonchalant happen to them while resting.

Like they're at the tavern they see a girl giving them the bed room eyes but no one knows who she's looking at so some Tom foolery happens.
>>
>>55216572
That sounds hilarious
>>
>>55216572
Do you want to TPK them?
>>
File: Call of Cthulhu.png (182KB, 700x619px) Image search: [Google]
Call of Cthulhu.png
182KB, 700x619px
>>55216454
You usually have to use NPCs for roleplay conversations. Even most players who are really good at being in character don't tend to have a lot of out-of-contect conversations together as their characters. And to be honest, that's usually a good thing. The sort of players who like to sit around and just randomly chat in character are, more often than not, the most cringey, power gamey, weeaboo players of all.

If you do want to encourage it, I would get better at coming up with NPCs who have interesting personalities and a lot of interesting things to say. Remember that a covnersation isn't just an NPC answering questions when prompted or giving exposition. It flows naturally and sort of wanders around. If you're not good at doing it spontaneously, write it up, or even find books or movies or whatever with off-plot dialog and cribe stuff from that.

You can also try having the players tell stories. I will often tell a player to make up some lore or background on an NPC or a monster or a lost city or something. Especially if you have a player who is a bard or who is a real world builder themselves. When someone rolls to learn about the Ke'Blahr elves and their culture, just tell that guy, "Steve, your character knows all about these elves, what are they like." If you have at least one creative player and are okay with not being in total control of every little thing, that can inject a lot of fun and originality into a game.
>>
>>55216454
Maybe I'm a poor example because I've never had any trouble with this. But as a general rule, simply confronting the party with a mundane situation that forces them to respond, causes them to start considering the mundanities of how they interact.

Stuff like asking what happens when they WAKE UP after a tense night. Who has what for breakfast? At one point my PCs lost like half a day's march because they embroiled each other in some absurd one-upmanship over assembling ingredients for the best breakfast ever to the point that they didn't actually eat anything or break camp until noon, having spent hours hunting, conjuring, and cooking. All because I prompted them to actually consider what they were eating and they realised that not one of them was the sort of person who would settle for traveller's rations if there was a remote possibility of an alternative.
>>
>>55216454

This is hard to control. A lot of what answers the call to play RPGs are introverted, socially awkward, and autistic gamers. This form of entertainment is more likely to attract this contingent than lets say the fun talky people you'd have a beer with after work.

You can't control the character voice thing, but maybe find a way to get them interact with each other more outside the game. Switch venues, have everyone bring a snack or make lunch/dinner that day, encourage conversations outside the game (e.g .how was work/school today), anything to get create some sense of gratitude between people.

Best of luck. Party chemistry is a hard thing to develop especially when you don't have much to choose from around your area.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.