[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is he the only good GM online consistently giving good advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 22

Why is he the only good GM online consistently giving good advice?
>>
Who is this cunt?
>>
>>55213151
Pleb detected
>>
Mark Hammill? Chewie? Michael J. Fox werewolf?
>>
>>55213191
fine I don't even care. fuck off.
>>
Zack Gallamafuckus or whatever from that Hangover bullshit?
>>
>>55213191
shill detected
>>
>>55213127
I don't think that Colville is "the only good GM online consistently giving good advice" so much as he does it in a video format and is organized (sort of), fun to watch, and has high production value. I've run into many other channels and then ditched them because the content creator has a bad mic, has absolutely zero cohesion, has no editing, or has two friends who keep talking over each other. Colville is great because he actually puts a ton of effort into his work.
>>
>>55213127
Colville + Web DM is all I'm watching on youtube these days
>>
>>55213575
Also Colville will often express both sides of an issue, even if he focuses on the one that works for him. So even when he is giving advice that doesn't really work for you, he has at least pointing out an alternative that might.
>>
>>55213127
Doesn't produce videos often enough in my opinion.
>>
>>55213127
Jonah hill plays tabletop?
>>
>>55213575
His cuts annoy the absolute shit out of me. It's like sentence. Cut. Sentence. Cut. Sentence.
>>
Why does Richard Karn's mugshot have a lamp in the background?
>>
>Not listening to weekly 40 minutes of sort of insightful roundabout speechifications in response to the questions that can be more to the point answered in 5 minutes.
It's like you don't want to be straight ally or something
>>
>>55214156
Man, that's one of the things I love about him. "Am I conveying information here? No? Might as well just cut it out then and jump straight from useful thing to useful thing."

On the bright side, you've given me a working theory as to why so many other people talk so. Fucking. Sloooooooooowly. I got places to be, but I guess some people like a more chillaxed vibe?

>>55213419
>Zack Gallamafuckus or whatever from that Hangover bullshit?
He's great in Below, if you want to see people die in the ocean.
>>
>>55215905
Adam Koebel is proof that stereotypes exist for a reason.
>>
>>55216003
Hahaha.

And here i watch Colville at 1.5x speed, and other people at 2x with subtitles.

>>55214074
That's what happens when you don't make any money off your videos and have to work full time doing something else.
>>
>>55213699
I love web dm! Although I wish they would do more stuff from ad&d
>>
>>55216167
>And here i watch Colville at 1.5x speed, and other people at 2x with subtitles.
How the hell is that possible? I normally listen to everything at 1.5x but he's the only one I have to listen at normal speed. His normal speed is almost at 1.5x.
>>
>>55213434
What do you think he's selling?

>>55213127
He's not. He's one of the more well known ones because he is active in the online community and got a shoutout on critical role. But he's just a dude. He even said before he streamed himself running a game, that people wouldn't be that impressed, cause he's just a normal GM. And he was.
>>
>>55214156
That's just Youtube man.

https://youtu.be/XvK8xtVbopA
>>
>>55216389
Not that guy, but I just got used to it. I watch everything in 2x unless an accent makes it hard.
>>
I'm DMing since 90-s, and one thing I noticed in Colville's videos is that I can't disagree with most of his assessments even when I try to. Even when he makes mistakes (like killing off that character in the prison cell instead of just cutting to the dorf who's going to try to save them), he explains how it could've been done better. His channel is also a really great introduction to DnD and DMing in general for new people. All around great guy.
>>
>>55216423
I just gotta say this is a good video. It explains something I don't really understand (filmography principles) very clearly and concisely. Not only that but this guy does a really good job of framing his points.

>>55213127
Honestly as a DM of 16 years nothing Colville says is revolutionary or eye-opening for people with experience DMing.

However I think he does a good job eloquently explaining, through rhetoric and examples, important core concepts far better than DMGs have for the last 4 editions (which is as far back as I've played). I'm sure his videos are very valuable to new and new-ish DMs.

Personally I find his videos about 4e interesting because I skipped that edition, especially about working bits and bobs into 5e.

I also purchased his two books. Worse than Malazan Book of the Fallen, better than Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth.
>>
>>55213127
>unironically thinks all settings must have state-mandated interracial breeding grounds
>good GM
>>
>>55215905
I've met Koebel a couple of times at cons and the like, and he seems like a super nice dude, but he's an agenda-pushing GM with a high opinion of his own abilities - plus >>55216085
>>
File: 2012 dog.png (91KB, 201x189px) Image search: [Google]
2012 dog.png
91KB, 201x189px
>>55217258
>>unironically thinks all settings must have state-mandated interracial breeding grounds
what?
>>
>>55216666
Yeah. His channel is a little bit scattered on topics, but when he talks about film, he's golden. Watch his take on Suicide Squad.
>>
>>55216666
>Worse than Malazan Book of the Fallen, better than Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth.
That sounds like pretty high praise to me.
>>
>>55217563
It's bait, obviously.
>>
Angry DM is the best guy online, Matt is more a psychologist saying things from players perspective and analising them. If he wernt such a libtard from california he would make a fine shitposter.
>>
Colville taught me that 4e is really fun with the right DM. I kinda ignored it for a while because of how video-gamey it all looked, but now my group is playing a 4e campaign, and we're having a blast. Our DM knows his shit, and all the races, classes, and abilities are piss-easy to reskin for any setting.
>>
>>55216404
Well, he does shill for his books at the end of his videos a little bit but I have no problem with that.

>>55216666
>Honestly as a DM of 16 years nothing Colville says is revolutionary or eye-opening for people with experience DMing.

Most of his videos are geared towards people who are learning to DM though so I think that's fine.

I agree he does a good job of explaining the fundamentals, which I think is useful even for people who aren't learning anything new

>>55217641
4e is a lot of fun once you "get" it, it's just kind of a weird game.It's mechanically delicious for tacticians and rituals are good for out of combat magic IMO.
>>
>>55213127
he's....not?
>>
I like Colville but the man rambles so much. He truly has great advice and you can get some wisdom from him even when you disagree with his opinions, but fuck do you need to take 20 minutes on a "short" video? The fact he talks so fast too yet still struggles to stay on topic makes me wonder if he's ever had an uninterrupted stream of thought in his life.
>>
>>55217576
WoT is shit tho
>>
>>55216434
It must be painful for you to listen to people irl
>>
>>55216666
>Worse than Malazan Book of the Fallen, better than Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth.
So it's somewhere between Shite(2)and good(8)?
>>
>>55218589
Some days, the contrarianism on 4chan bugs me. I need another beer.
>>
>>55218812
It's filled with way too much of the author's own baggage and his inability to write a cast of friends that seem like the actually like each other bogs it down even further.

Wheel of Time just isn't a good series. Search your heart, you know this to be true.
>>
>>55213127
he isnt. first, he's a 'DM' and secondly his advice is middling-tier, at best.

>>55213191
yeah and it's not him.
>>
>>55218829

Also his habitual actions that all the female characters share.

If they don't sniff, they tug their braids. If they don't do that, they talk down to the male characters. If they don't do that, they drive the male characters away so they can pine after them in their absence. If they don't do that, they smugly regard whoever they're talking to because "I'm too GROWN to be dealing with this."
>>
>>55218891
I lump that in with "the author's own baggage"
>>
>>55213127

I prefer Counter Monkey.
>>
>>55213127
The only video of his I've seen is the one where he uses The Hobbit and LotR to illustrate snadbox and railroad, and the bias was real.
>>
>>55218578
youtuber ramble to stretch things out. you can get more subscribers by pushing weekly 20 min videos rather than publishing concise 2 min videos. peoplke are ultimately bored and look for something that keeps them entertained for a while, so they rather click the 20 min video in hopes of it being good after all rather than a 2 min brief which might be on point but is followed by 18 mins of boredom.
>>
>>55218971
Also, 10 minute ad revenue.
>>
>>55218891
sounds like women in general to me
>>
Can anybody explain why all these youtubers constantly go on about how rules suck, fuck crunch, just homebrew it or play rules-lite shit yet I've literally net people that like this in real life? everybody I've played with gets annoyed when you deviate from the rules.
>>
>>55219020
Luck
>>
>>55213127
Thats a funny way to spell John Four
>>
>>55219031
Are you sure it isn't a Mearls situation where he's required to go on about how cool 5e is and then plays a game that resembles 3.5e because he ported so many rules from previous editions to his 5e game?

Do you think Colville secretly plays Shadowrun?
>>
>>55219020
The rules are just a suggestion, you're supposed to make your own at the table to suit your group's needs. If one feels cumbersome or is in the way of Fun it should be discarded.
>>
>>55219056
Colville not so secretly plays 4e and calls it 5e to get players to touch it.
>>
>>55219056
He said he played Shadowrun in one of his videos.
>>
>>55219058
Every time I've tried this it actually makes me realize why the rule was made the way it was, I totally didn't realize how gamebreaking grappling was so when I simplified the rules and make them actually usable one of my players quickly learnt to love whips.
>>
>>55219020
You must game with either lawyers or autists.
>>
>>55219020
There are a lot of gradations between "rules-lite shit" and playing by the book, and there's a lot of ways to apply the rule of cool to both. It all comes down to talking to your DM like a rational person.

I mean, I asked my DM if I could fluff a two-handed axe as one-handed spear with a shield (with no bonuses) in 4e, and he allowed it. Hell, you're applying same bonuses and penalties to your powers, why not make it look cool?
>>
>famous youtube GMs
Huh.
>>
>>55219020
Oh come on, you've never had your GM let a rule slide for expediency's sake so he didn't have to stop the game to look it up?
>>
>>55217563
He advocated for players not being in the diversity of their characters and suggested an entity like the Roman Empire having a policy of spreading different ethnicities about in order to cement civic nationalism.
>>
>>55219453
The GM might, but that one chucklefuck at the end of the table sure won't, and he'll be sure to let all of you know about it.
>>
His videos have clear topics and only last as long as they have to. He also has great cadence and flow in his speech which helps a lot.

>>55216666
You're right that it's nothing revolutionary, but presenting the basics clearly and easily understood is way better than a lot d&d material.

>>55218728
Cutting out both the absolute shite, and the top end, is still information. If he was a professional level novel author he'd probably be too busy doing that to work with games and make videos, I'm just glad to read that they are not complete drivel.
>>
>>55219485
Wait, wasn't the game studio he worked at located in one of the whitest liberal states in America?
>>
>>55219485
>he suggested an entity like the Roman Empire
no, he suggested to have a "center of the world city" from where players can easily travel to whatever medieval setting they like the most, so that if your chinese friend does not give a shit about your not king arthur and want to met your not cao cao, he can do so
>>
File: 1412790554.png (598KB, 447x683px) Image search: [Google]
1412790554.png
598KB, 447x683px
>>55215905
>untrain my players
Dafuq?
GMimg isn't a psychological experiment, it's presiding over a game. If the player is a sperg, then kick him out, problem solved.
>>
>>55219649
All the numale speak aside, I think he means things like not asking the DM to roll perception in every new room or not considering all combats winnable even if you're against overwhelming odds or something. In my experience most beginners don't even realize that running away is a viable option.
>>
>>55219674
Funny enough, Colville made a video on this with an interesting conclusion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7j1skECRV4
>>
>>55219747
I think you can make the flavor of your game pretty clear in session zero too - if you say: "We're gonna play a gritty campaign, think Game Of Thrones blah blah.", they're fucking retarded if they assume the game's going to be fair with them.

I never subscribed to the idea that there is a "Default D&D".
>>
>>55219915
People's assumptions are a hell to deal with. If you don't do that explicitly and beforehand like you described chances are they'll bitch about it.
>>
Oh and also, I mean this kind of shit is also super dependent on the system you're playing - if you're doing Call Of Cthulhu and there's some 20m high Eldritch Abomination rising from the earth and you have zero idea what's going on and how to deal with it, if you don't run, you didn't fully understand what game you were getting into.
>>
>>55219915
Jon, Tyrion, etc get away with crazy heroics in the face of insurmountable odds all time. Your warning will not stop them, it may even encourage them.
>>
It'd be nice if his advice wasn't so D&D specific.
>>
>>55219941
Yeah fine, then they're retarded and deserve to die unless they're incredibly lucky. Reminds me of that one time in a WOD game, where a Vampire character pretty much without need went into a hideout of Werewolves, and he knew beforehand that those were dangerous as heck, as in even a single one is a threat serious enough to kill 2-3 characters, and shrugged off about 5 warnings of the GM, ranging from: "They have noticed you. They seem cautious however, expecting a trap." to "The circle of experienced Ahroun in war form around you has almost closed. This would be the last chance to try and run."

And then he died. No dice rolling, no big scene, because he was just being a dumbass. It was the setting equivalent to "I land my shuttle on the sun. Yes, really GM. What could happen? I disable the safety noises blaring about failing shields and hull melting, they annoy me.".
>>
>>55219958
He's clearly the guy that started playing DnD as a kid and never strayed from it once in his decades of playing. A lot of the old grognards are like that.
>>
>>55220057
He talks about having played several non-D&D games in his videos. His stuff on politics in games for example talks about L5R and Diplomacy
>>
>>55213127
Because he gives beginner advice and you haven't found any other online GMs yet.

Try Counter Monkey, Geek & Sundry GM Tips, Chris Perkins old D&D columns, and How to be a Great GM/Player.

I see a lot of GMs online who start everything that Colville even briefly mentions. It's like if he farted and said that it smelled like beef jerky, they'd all just buy beef jerky without a second thought.

In order to become a better GM, you have to try new things and figure things out. Online GMs don't always have the answer, and their answer might not work for you. They have answers because they tried a lot of different things and if one thing didn't work out, they'd try another. The more you stray from the basics, the more you have to wade through uncertainty in order to discover new things.

And screw players who want me to say 'How do you wanna do this' like Mercer does. It's his thing, not mine. I got my own style to create, not a slap-dash wanna-be style taken from experienced GMs. I don't hate the GM, I hate the wave of sheep that follow them.
>>
>>55215905
What, the flying fuck, is that?
>>
>>55220057
nah, he's clever and realizes that talking about D&D nets him the biggest revenue on youtube. other rpgs dont generate as many subscribers.
>>
>>55220339
your average pbtafag ;)
>>
>>55220368
What's an PBTA?
>>
>>55220255
I love Counter Monkey, although I'll admit it's more Spoony talking about his previous gaming experiences, even if he sometimes ties it in to gaming advice.

Wish he'd start doing more again, though, instead of just doing gaming livestreams.
>>
>>55220468
Spoony's basically on the verge of suicide and homelessness at the moment so don't count on it.
>>
>>55219941
Those are written stories. They are meant to win because it seems heroic when they're not supposed to. Games can be balanced in a way that a monster seems tough but still beatable, and players get conditioned with the thought that they can beat anything they come across.

Warn them that not every encounter is beatable and that running is always an option and both you and the monster has a chance to run away. Whatever happens, happens and it's not your fault if they TPK because they've been warned.
>>
>>55220430
Powered by the Apocalypse. Dungeon World and so on.
>>
>>55219485
That's not quite correct. He suggested that DMs don't really have an 'excuse' for a super-white eurocentric setting, which is true.
>>
Fuck off with this numales.
>>
>>55213127
Nothing shows how shit other people are at DMing, as hard when they gush over other DMs advice.

Mr. Colville is a good DM. Fuck he's in my youtube subscribe, he's got plenty of good ideas. But he's hardly the greatest thing to grace this earth.
>>
>>55213127
That's not the Angry DM.
>>
>>55221112

>Nothing shows how shitty of a boxxer that you are. At gushing over Mike Tyson.

>Nothing shows you how stupid you are. At gushing over Steven Hawkin.

>Nothing shows you how shitty of a game designer you are. At gushing over Shigeru Miyamoto.

>Nothing shows you how much a failoure that is your youtube channel you have. About gushing over Markiplier.
>>
>>55213127
Is this that dude that takes fucking forever to explain simple shit or am I thinking of some other guy.
>>
File: 1253154290965.png (98KB, 308x231px) Image search: [Google]
1253154290965.png
98KB, 308x231px
>>55221256
yup its him
>>
>>55217258
Well yeah he lives in socal and is in the gaming industry. He's an sjw.
>>
I love when he gushes over his writing in mediocre games.
>>
>>55220255
>Counter Monkey
Trash
>Geek & Sundry GM Tips
Are you trolling?
>>
Personally I think he has some good advice, but he is annoying, is too DND centric, and really likes certain things too much over things that aren't really that cool. Also he seems like a DM who is too afraid to kill PCs and may be a little bit of a beta bitch.
>>
>>55221999
Too much that aren't really that cool*
>>
Liking him is the biggest red flag for a redditor you can find in /tg/. That and reddit spacing.
>>
>>55221242
>reddit spacing
Just stay there please
>>
>>55222087

Psst - reddit spacing isn't actually a thing.
>>
>>55222153
Don't waste your time. People like him don't even play TTRPGs.
>>
>>55222153
>Not knowing what reddit spacing is
>>
File: 1386973793955.jpg (101KB, 634x768px) Image search: [Google]
1386973793955.jpg
101KB, 634x768px
>>55217258
>unironically thinks all settings must have state-mandated interracial breeding grounds

>>55219485
>He advocated for players not being in the diversity of their characters and suggested an entity like the Roman Empire having a policy of spreading different ethnicities about in order to cement civic nationalism.

>>55219648
>he suggested to have a "center of the world city" from where players can easily travel to whatever medieval setting they like the most, so that if your chinese friend does not give a shit about your not king arthur and want to met your not cao cao, he can do so

>>55220990
>He suggested that DMs don't really have an 'excuse' for a super-white eurocentric setting, which is true.

Well, which is it?
>>
>>55222227

I know what Reddit spacing is. Do you know what Reddit spacing is?

>Reddit uses Markdown for formatting, which means that you *must* double space between two paragraphs or they will be merged into one. So redditors, being retarded, assume that anyone who uses double spacing for any reason is a fellow redditor. When questioned, they cannot explain themselves because they do not even know what Markdown is; they think of it as "reddit formatting". This is how they think; anything they have seen on reddit, they assume must have come from there.
>>
The only issue I have with Colville is that he only talks about DnD. It's fine because most of his advice is universal, but is miss some variety here and there
>>
>>55222301
>which is it?
People are conflating two different things he said. His actual advice was that your game world should have a central trading city that lots of different cultures pass through, so that if your black friend wants to play a black guy or your Chinese friend wants to play a fantasy Asian there's in-setting justification for those characters existing in that region of your game world.

He went on to explain that in his game world he had a Roman Empire precursor state redistribute ethic populations that they conquered throughout the empire so that different races showed up everywhere in his game world, but that was just something he was offering up as an example from his games of how to potentially allow for diverse humans, not something everyone needs to do. He even says in the video that if everyone at the table is down for Aurthurian style European fantasy that's fine, he was just advocating that especially if you have a minority friend there's no reason for you as the GM to be saying "no Asian people in my world" to them
>>
>>55222313
Yes I do. You stated that it wasn't a thing, but it is. Dumb fuck.
>>
File: WhereDoYouThinkWeAre.jpg (38KB, 480x342px) Image search: [Google]
WhereDoYouThinkWeAre.jpg
38KB, 480x342px
>>55222445
>having minority friends
>>
>>55222445
You can legitimately say no asian people in your world though. Just like you can say no elves.
>>
>>55222507
And your friends can legitimately not play your games, but I imagine we're working under the assumption you want them to.
>>
>>55222535
Why would asian people want to play asian people. That's boring as fuck.
>>
>>55222535
If a player is hell bent on only playing one race and only has one idea then yes I probably don't want them at the table.
For example as a rule I always ban exotic races without very good fucking reasons for them.
>>
File: 1464135790971.jpg (296KB, 1430x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1464135790971.jpg
296KB, 1430x1300px
>>55213127
He's alright. I unsubbed from him a while ago, so I'm not sure if his increase in popularity made him any better or worse, but I did enjoy listening to him for a time. He's very, very good at providing mechanical advice and is easy to listen to. You might have issues with him if you can't look past his typical Californian liberalness, but it was never too obnoxious to me. My only issues with him is that he doesn't always respect bad die rolls negatively affecting a game (he will fudge within reason) and he shatters the 4th wall during his games. He'll go out of his way to say things like "This NPC is a coward, so he will always recommend a course of action that will avoid combat!" I get why he does it, he even explains it well, but in my opinion you should have enough faith in your players to figure that stuff out on their own. His railroad vs. sandbox video is probably his best work and I'd recommend that to everyone who ever thought about making a linear game.
>>
>>55222554
Why would white people want to play white people? Why would humans want to play humans? Why aren't more settings made with sapient jellyfish as the dominant majority?
>>
>>55222488
Yes, precisely. It isn't a thing. It's something Redditors think exists
because they're idiots and assume anyone who double spaces is one of them. But it doesn't, no matter how hard you try to push it.
>>
>>55222619
People are generally boring. Would play a sapient jellyfish on the orbit of a gas giant any day.
>>
>>55222581
Why'd you unsub him?
>>
>>55222619
>Why aren't more settings made with sapient jellyfish as the dominant majority?
That's actually a legit question, though.
>>
>>55222635
It is a thing though. Why else would you double space? There is no reason for it. Gosh you're really trying to defend that method of spacing.
>>
>there are people on /tg/ who watch internet dms
I'm judging all if you desu
>>
>>55222691
But what if i don't desu
>>
>>55222658
Not him, but I do that to split paragraphs. Otherwise you get an unreadable mess instead of a coherent text.
>>
>>55222719
That isn't Reddit spacing

This

Is

Reddit

Spacing
>>
>>55222719

Original poster for what started this chain link of events. And all I got to say is this guy here has me spot on. Its about making my words clear.
>>
>>55222790
Ugh, my eyes hurt. Then I honestly don't get what you're pissed about. Most people here (not exclusively on /tg/) just do a double break between two paragraphs. Besides, things like

>quote
comment to a quote

>quote
short comment to a quote

>quote
ur a fgt

Is REALLY common on 4chin.
>>
>>55222658
If you don't double space then your
Paragraphs run together and
Nobody can tell if you've
Intentionally broken one line or if it's just
Automatic line breaks.
>>
>>55222821
Do you not know what my argument has been? All I'm saying is that Reddit spacing is a real thing. That's all.
>>
>>55222706
>Participating itt
Still judging you.
>>
>>55222691
Yeah I get all my DM advice from podcasts like a normal person
>>
>>55222886
You are also participating
>>
File: 1464135683177.png (594KB, 800x880px) Image search: [Google]
1464135683177.png
594KB, 800x880px
>>55222638
Decided he just wasn't for me anymore really. Unsubbed from him shortly after I dropped Critical Role as well. His later advice videos deviated from introducing/taking interesting mechanics from other games and more towards his other forms of advice as well as movie reviews and stuff. I'm not really a fan of people throwing these types of guys up on a platform as the best GMs ever or treating their advice as infallible, so I'm sure dealing with that side of the community gave me a bit of an extra push to be done with his stuff too.
>>
>>55222952
Yes but im saging and judging
>>
File: TotallyNotAHuman.jpg (116KB, 828x966px) Image search: [Google]
TotallyNotAHuman.jpg
116KB, 828x966px
>>55222619
> Uses race to define character
> Not boring
You know there that one guy who always has to play that one weird race? Yeah, nobody thinks he's clever unless he actually works at his backstory and characterization. If you want a boring choice as far as races go, I'd say dwarf.
>>
>>55213127
>>55213127
Because he doesn't pretend he knows or understands any more than he does.
He hasn't fallen for the trap of believing he knows a golden truth of GMing that everyone should follow regardless of their strengths.
>>
>>55216423
>unironically suggesting folding ideas
Neck yourself
>>
>>55220990
> DMs don't really have an 'excuse' for a super-white eurocentric setting

My players are white and live in a eurocentric society,
>>
>>55222445
That's all well and good if you're playing in a public setting. But if you're friends are going to come over to your house, eat your foot and sit at your table, I assume they are close enough to you that you can bring these things up without hurting feelings. Obviously statements like "No asians allowed" or "Black people don't exist in my setting" are stupid but rewriting your entire worlds history to fit in with contemporary moral values is also fucking retarded.
>>
>>55215905
Just looking at those cock sucking lips. You know he talks shit about trump all day.
>>
>>55223284
This.
>>
>>55221256
Isn't that literally every GM giving advice on the internet?

If you know some exceptions please share them

>>55222636
>>55222644
Seconding.
>>
>>55220727
>They are meant to win because it seems heroic when they're not supposed to
Not even true, they win because their tax reforms allowed for the safety nets to be adequately funded.
>>
>>55222619
>Why would white people want to play white people? Why would humans want to play humans?

I mean these are legitimate questions. I think playing humans is boring as fuck. and IRL I'm a brown mix of multiple races and it would get pretty annoying if I insisted every fantasy world had my exact ethnic makeup present
>>
I almost typed "but that isn't Hankerin Ferinale" but then realized Hankerin is such a cool guy that he wouldn't want that, so I'll just say that Drunkens and Dragons is also really great but, like Colfer, is not without flaws.
>>
>>55222806
>>55222719
>to split paragraphs
>otherwise...unreadable mess instead of a coherent text
>>55221242
Not a paragraph you retarded cunt. Double spacing a series of redundant sentences attempting to drive the same bullshit claim home is just nonsense.
>>
>>55213699
>>55216244
Do they hate 5e? I've only watched a few videos, but I get a vibe that they don't like it, yet they do tons of videos on it
>>
>>55217576
>Worse than Malazan Book of the Fallen
So complete shit?
>>
Matt Colville is full of shit.

He is so far left

>he defended new Ghostbusters movie
>he will tell you you shouldn't play a white guy if you are a white guy. You should explore more options. And 3 seconds later in a video he will say it is okay for a female arab to play a female arab warrior in viking campaign. So she doesn't feel left out. Double standards?
>He created a Roman Empire that fell apart but before that it conveniently displaced every ethnicity in every region of space so you can play every skincolor in every society and culture. Muh diversity
>>
>>55218987
I don't know because ublock, but I'm pretty sure he has said he doesn't put ads on his videos
>>
>>55223345
>contemporary moral values
>off-white humans can exist in your make believe if someone gives a shit
These are hard times
>>
>>55225117
>You may only write stories about ethnically, socially, sexually and religiously diverse protagonists, all other stories are VERBOTEN!

See I can strawman your arguments too.
>>
>>55224783
everyone isn't perfect, sometimes they have shit taste and sometimes they have bad ideas, fortunately he seems to have alot more good ideas than those four bad ones you mentioned, so don't sperg out and drop him because he has some opinions YOU disagree with, I disagree with the same opinions, there is no excuse.
>>
>>55213127
I'm not giving anyone advice.
>>
>>55222507
>Just like you can say no elves.
But then nobody will buy your system and it'll murder any company that doesn't drop it fast enough.
>>
>>55225618
You took some obvious bait there. Any political ramblings is just an excuse for people to start discussions and to troll people.
>>
>>55222790

Is It reddit spacing if I like putting a space between the quote number and my reply? (Just like I did now) I kinda like it that way and been posting like that for a years.
>>
>>55224783
you shouldn't let a human bean's political opinion and other opinions (especially sexuality) sour your friendship/liking of them.

you can be friends with furries/gays that are good people, don't risk losing a cool dude because you heavily disagree on one walk of life with them

while he is far left and spouts off such shit, his GMing advice is okay, and deserves a listen. just don't listen to his movie reviews, he seems to have horrible fucking taste
>>
>>55226261
This, pretty much
I've only cut people out of my life when their opinions/identity began to interfere with communication, or us being friends, or my sanity. So far it's worked alright and it's a great antidote to the echo chambers we all kinda lack ourselves into without noticing.

Although I would argue that maybe one can be more selective with the youtubers they watch than with their friends.
>>
>>55224720
no, they like all of the editions but they've played the older ones a lot more so they talk about them more
>>
>>55222445

I never play as a white dude in Asian settings. Why should anyone stick to his ethnicity just to be comfortable in a setting?
>>
>>55224783
jesus, you're an autist
>>
>>55224674
seconded.
the key mechanics playlist on the drunkens and dragons channel is some of the best advice available. room design is also excellent. his joy and love for the hobby is a huge breath of fresh air
>>
>>55223399
/pol/ fag get out
>>
>>55224661
The answer is white people are sociopaths
>>
>>55213127
It's obvious you're the guy making the youtube videos and trying to promote yourself on 4chan.
>>
>>55232118
I don't see Colville doing this. He doesn't get add revenue from the videos and doesn't have a pattreon.
>>
>>55216244
WebDM is great, but it's just too long. I don't want to listen to someone talk about Elves for more than fifteen minutes.
>>
>>55213127
I like Colville. I'm also fond of WebDM, Guy Sclanders, and Satine Phoenix. I feel they all have their benefits.
>>
>>55224783
So you are a retard that smells bad?
>>
>>55222445
Humans truly are the plebeian snowflake race of Fantasy. People with actual imagination can play a nonhuman just fine but every crybaby normie needs to play a human self-insert, down to the same height and skin tone.

Truly pathetic. This is why I ban humans from my table.
>>
>>55219915
I've found you can only make your characters consistently NOT Leroy Jenkins in one of two scenarios:

1) absurdly insurmountable odds made hilariously clear. Before they ever meet the evil guy who rides a dragon, give them a fetch quest to a town, and have them find an ash heap. Repeat this. When they finally see the guy, let them see him and his 10 lackeys on their dragons, too.

2) give them a non-player voice of reason, or reason to care about survival. A reliable mentor from a PC's backstory who's not too frail to fight hard, but wise enough to advise them against it for the first few levels. Or, task them with protecting helpless people, like villagers fleeing from their town's destruction. Ditch those training wheels before too long, though.
>>
>>55232904
Is this bait?
>>
>>55217619

Angry DM is literally incoherent.
>>
How fucking stupid are some you. You can accept literal non-existent fantasy creatures like fucking elves, but the idea of non-white people triggers you. Jfc anon step outside once and a while.
>>
>it's okay to have elfs, dwarfs, orcs, gnomes and Hobbits in the same party, and no-one nowhere care about it.
>having a black or Asian or female human in the same party breaks immersion
Are you retarded anon?
>>
>>55232904
So how many times did you reroll to get a full group of Jotunbrud?
>>
>>55233381
Confirmed for not having actually read Angry DM
>>
>>55233655
>>55233867
Clearly, elves and goblins and the like are historically accurate. Their existence is just being covered up, because (((((they))))) don't want you to know the truth.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icQx5NH_h88&t=17s

NEW VIDEO BOYS
>>
>>55234698
His schtick definitely weakens his articles, though. Which is a pity, because he's got a ton of great shit once you sift through the random punctuation marks.
>>
>>55224674
>>55228055
Thirded. Hankerin is such a badass, he's by far my favorite person to listen to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfO1GWbA1MA
>>
>>55222644
I see the point of it, my players play other races almost too much. there was one time when they all showed up with elves, half elves, and a dragonborn in a human city. Because of that event I push for human characters.
>>
>>55215905
I like Adam, and I really love his DMing style, but the fact he shits on GURPS while unironically liking FATE and acting like he knows better is really annoying. He just doesn't get the system clearly. And yeah, his rambling is very long...
>>
File: the most versatile reaction pic.png (176KB, 378x228px) Image search: [Google]
the most versatile reaction pic.png
176KB, 378x228px
>>55217576
>>
>>55213127
The beard grants him great power
>>
>>55223284
That's not an excuse, that's the out of setting reason. And it's the dumbest reason,
Christ how boring.
>>
>>55239264
>People's skin color and human ethnicity makes thing's exciting/boring
>>
>>55241166
Well yeah. Of course it does. "Exotic" exists as a porn descriptor for a reason. But I was talking about culture and history.
>>
>>55223284
Then basically nothing Colville said means anything for you, considering you wouldn't have a minority player at your table. Trying to get the player to not feel like an outsider just because "lol medieval times man" while he sees elves and dwarves and drow and whatever around is just not a problem you'd have.

He is not saying all settings MUST be multicultural and multiethnic
He is not saying you CANNOT EVER make an white-only eurocentric setting
>>
>>55232735
I'm fond of Satine Phoenix porn aswell
>>
>>55213127
Because you're too lazy to find other good gms and apparently don't know good advice from bad.
>>
>>55215905
As much as people like to shit on Koebel, and in spite of him being a very opinionated individual in general, he doesn't seem like either a bad person or a bad DM
>>
>>55218891
Yeah, his problem is that he writes women too accurately to make them likeable characters.
>>
>Americans give especific real world ethnicities to their pcs

What a bunch of race obsessed lard gulpers Americans are. I've never had anyone describing his character as "arab" "white" or something like that. People just give general features (stuff like "dark hair"), and you imagine it as you want. Because you know what? It doesnt really matter what real life race your character resembles.
>>
>>55241825
All I know of him are two of his mouse guard games on YouTube. And he does a fairly good job in them. What is so wrong about the guy?
>>
>>55213127
What he says
>hey DMs, it's kinda shitty of you to make a fantasy world in which one of your players feels unwelcome / a outsider in. Here's some ideas on how to prevent that and still make the world believable. Also don't let your players or NPCs rape other players, like wtf ppl.

What /tg/ hears:
>Having white people in your setting is a disgrace, every nation in your world should be multi ethnic and all the rulers should be women. Every nation should have a state-funded breeding program to bring about more diversity and kill all the whites. All white males should be castrated in every nation of every fantasy setting.
>>
>>55242633
Why would or should anyone feel welcome in a fictional world?
>>
>>55219020
Pure luck. I've had players whine because the rules didn't fit their perception of reality, and argue that I was being a dick by not letting them just handwave whatever bullshit they wanted to handwave because "lel rule of cool."
>>
>>55242567
He's the quintessential tumblr Portland-y male feminist, which rustles the /pol/fag's jimmies beyond imagination. That he mostly runs storygames with at least one bout of OSR hipsterism only makes certain demographics hate him more
>>
>>55242800
To make it worthwhile to spend finite leisure time participating in?
>>
>some literal who shilling his youtibe channel
Ken and Robyn talk about stuff is were it's at. Two intelligent industry professionals giving GM advice and campaign ideas. The only podcast out there where one of the hosts occasionally mentions that he has right wing opinions and isn't immediately lynched.
>>
>>55233655
We'd hate elves too if we had to live near them in real life.
>>
>>55243100
>Ken and Robyn

Literally who?
>>
>>55219515
I've had that guy at my table. I literally go just "Feel free to look it up and let me know after the session, for now we'll do [blah-blah] to keep things rolling." and then I go ahead and keep the game moving along.

You gotta harness their autism. Let them tell you about the right way to do whatever at the end of the session, and then you can incorporate it later if it's better.
>>
>>55242363
>It doesnt really matter what real life race your character resembles.
Boring. I want my PCs' choices to mean something. If they're playing an Arab, they're gonna be treated as a strange, exotic thing, and if they're Muslim they're going to find people more standoffish.
>>
>>55244314
Nothing is more awkward than a DM trying to do the racism plot.
>>
>>55244357
>plot
>>
>>55233867
Doesn't it depend on the setting?
>>
>>55242953
>Portland

So are Portland and East Vancouver the same place? since he's the iconic East Van hipster.
>>
>>55239126

He's mentioned disliking Fate and all generic systems in the past. I know he ran a Fate game that I didn't watch, was he actually praising it or just running it?
>>
>>55245268
To a degree
>>
>>55219020
Because you are making a caricature in your mind that doesn't exist.
The Rules Shall Not Impede Fun, But Enable Fun.
If the rules are not making the game fun, or do not make sense for the situation, the GM has every right to substitute his own rules.
>>
>>55219102
That was you fucking up and not understanding the game, making poorly thought out houserules.
Making sweeping changes should not be done lightly, but it isn't the same as an on the fly rule change for a singular situation before you.
>>
>>55227853
see
>>55222445
>He even says in the video that if everyone at the table is down for Aurthurian style European fantasy that's fine
That literally covers your example.
If you are playing L5R, no, there are few, if any, Europeans present, but everyone is also already aware and had agreed to it by proxy of accepting the game.
>>
>>55245282
He's had fun with his friends, but the system isn't really doing anything to support that in any meaningful way (which is his critique of generalist systems like Fate or Gurps to begin with). It's less him running a game of Fate and more five friends sitting around playing make believe for a few hours like they're in kindergarten.
>>
>>55243056
People enjoy horror stories, and I don't think they feel comfortable imagining themselves in that world. There are avenues of entertainment besides idyllic escapism.
>>
File: 1444110184921.jpg (385KB, 584x774px) Image search: [Google]
1444110184921.jpg
385KB, 584x774px
>>55242633
>it's kinda shitty of you to make a fantasy world in which one of your players feels unwelcome / a outsider in

Good thing I can disregard bad advice to bandaid a non-problem that has nothing to do with me. If a player has a problem with playing around the unwelcome outsider, then they're taking the game, and themselves, too seriously.

There's literally nothing wrong with homogenous societies, and there's literally nothing wrong with outsiders poking their heads into homogenous societies with the mindset of "hey, what's going on this side of the ocean." This guy is just too uncomfortable with handling two people from different societies sniffing each other out for fear of the casual racism that results from it.
Casual racism, might I fuckin' add, is COMMONPLACE AS FUCK in d&d, and completely normal.
>>
>>55247397
>still missing the point
>>
I think Fistful of Dice is alright.
>>
>>55216244
+1 for web dm, I enjoy them
>>
>>55247397
wangrod detected
>>
>>55247397
Racism exists in a lot of Koebels DMing.

I think you are just uncomfortable with handling two completely different races not being huge fuckwads to one another.

That or you haven't seen much of Adams stuff and just make ignorant assumptions about his DMing based on the fact that he looks like a huge faggot (which he is, but not the point)
>>
>>55242633
Any person who injects their personal identity so deeply into the game they are playing that they cannot separate themselves from a meaningless game of Pretend with Dice is not there to play the game in the first place. This constant assertion that a feeling of "welcomeness" is important to the hobby is the whine if impotent, narcissistic cunts.

D&D settings are worlds filled with mindless creatures that want to kill you. That's not exactly welcoming. They're also the kinds of places where you spend more time up to your dick in dark forests, ancient tombs, and underground tunnels. Places where it doesn't matter if you're a pansexual mixed race transgyrl otherkin.

This isn't /pol/ shit. This shouldn't even be a controversial notion, but self-important retards keep making it their top priority to spend more time talking about the identity politics of imaginary people, because it's such a touchy fucking subject that the average person rolls over and lets it happen because they'd rather tolerate it than run the risk of getting some self-obsessed faggot to declare them a nazi for not giving a fuck about their pronouns.
>>
>>55239126
I have heard him talk shit about Fate quite a bit but maybe he had a change of heart at some point
>>
>>55249396
>everyone must play D&D exactly like me

Seriously m8, if you would prefer to tell a player to fuck off rather than make your world not a hyper-sexist, hyper-racist shithole for no other reason than "I DON'T WANNA" then you are probably a cunt.
>>
>>55239126
>He just doesn't get the system clearly.

Ah the eternal cry of the fanboy.
>>
>>55244015
Why wait?

They all have laptops with the rules at their fingertips on speed dial anyways. Simply have them spit out the printed rule. It doesn't come up that often, and unlike 14 years ago, itll only take them 2 minutes to resolve.
>>
>>55249451
Not having your setting full of trannies and token diversity at every opportunity is not the same thing at making the world hyper sexist and racist you spastic retard.
>>
File: only humans can become.jpg (71KB, 515x355px) Image search: [Google]
only humans can become.jpg
71KB, 515x355px
>>55242633
>>55249396
>>55249451

It goes without saying that every setting and every way of playing the game is alright. The only people who are cunts are the ones trying to tell other people how to play or how not to play.
>>
>>55249598
Having a diverse setting is not the same thing as having a setting full of trannies and token diversity.

Typical /pol/tard
>>
>>55249396
>don't be a dick and make your game inviting to the players
>God why are you narcissistic snowflakes trying to control me?

Way to be a stereotype.
>>
>>55249627
If someone wants to cram their game full of tumblr bullshit and constantly reaffirm the fragile egos of their identity-obsessed players, that's on them. There's already plenty of places where they can do that, but if D&D is their social lubricant, that's on them.

Now, if the publishers of the game and people who actively put try to put themselves in the position of liaison to the entire hobby want to tell people that they have to play a certain way and tolerate obnoxious behavior or they are shitlords, they can go fuck themselves.

>>55249636
Most settings are already diverse and typically feature racism, oppression, bigotry, and all that icky unwelcoming stuff that people whine about so often. Jumping to the conclusion that people who reject that shit are just pig-headed bigots is just another reason to hate people who champion it so much.

>>55249662
Way to miss the point entirely.
>Cater to my hyperbolic identity politics or I'll tell everyone you're a bigot and cry that you are actively scaring people away from the hobby!
>how about we just play the fucking game and stop pretending that your character's imaginary genitals and sexual orientation are at all important to the mechanics and storyline of the game?
>>
>>55249689
Except that's not what was said and you know it. "Make your settings more diverse to be inviting to a wider variety of players, it's a polite thing to do that you can do without compromising the sense of the settings" is not even remotely like what you're claiming.
>>
>>55249689
Funny how the most hyperbolic posters are always the first to whine about hyperbole.
>>
>>55213127
I've just started listening to his stuff, it seems mostly insightful, and it's all useful to someone no doubt. The one time he said he wanted to have sex with a beholder mini kind of threw me off, and his weird mini rant about gender and whatnot seemed slightly out of place. Not because I don't think people should just do whatever the hell they want, but because I feel that sort of thing exists in a strange place where in any given group it either goes without saying that it's not a problem to be a gay trans dwarf, or it goes without saying because nobody in the group would even consider playing that sort of character. Most of his stuff seems decent though, and he comes across as a pretty good storyteller.
>>
>>55249744
This is an existential threat to them. They're concerned they're going to be pushed out of their hobbies, a defining feature of their identity, but the recent shift in culture.
>>
>>55249734
The average fantasy setting usually has about a dozen highly distinct races with their own cultures and beliefs, entire pantheons of unique gods, whimsical locales, massive cities, bizarre creatures, and so much shit that makes it as diverse as it as diverse as possible... And what the fuck do people go to when they insist that a setting isn't diverse enough? Identity politics. Because what really matters is if things meet some arbitrary quota of having enough "queer" or PoC NPCs pictured in the book.

It's a bullshit complaint, and yet again, anyone insisting that they feel unwelcome because a game of pretend didn't go out of it's way to say that there's a ton of black gay trannies is somehow unwelcoming and alienating to people who are seemingly unconcerned with the actual act of playing the game in the first place.
>>
>>55249779
I'm more concerned that people will waste their time and resources catering to a crowd of faggots who don't actually care about the hobby in the first place, but wish to claim it as some kind nebulous social currency that they can wave around to prove how correct their asinine political ideology is.
>>
>>55249805
You're on /tg/, one of the gayest boards on 4chan, and you're going to say people other than straight men don't care about traditional games?

Fucking /pol/io. You're all newfags.
>>
>>55249834
>You're on /tg/, one of the gayest boards on 4chan
And yet, how many of the settings that /tg/ has collectively designed over the years focus on the gender identity and sexual preference of the people within it? Would you even know are were they all before your time?

Stop deflecting the point. It's not about gays not being welcome. It's about gays not needing special treatment because they shouldn't have their fragile egos coddled just because they like to take dicks in the ass.
>>
>>55249854
You're the one who twisted the point into "these groups don't even care about these games anyway" you fucking dipshit.

And yeah, I'd say that having minority groups represented would make members of minority groups feel more welcome. When the majority of the icons of a setting (and most of the settings of this hobby) are straight white men (even if some have pointy ears and differing statures) it's easy to assume that this setting (and in fact most of the hobby) is something for straight white men.

Does it really rustle your donut so badly to see people that aren't straight white men getting represented in games, and to have others suggest that maybe your settings should feature something other than straight white men this much?
>>
>>55249854
How is it special treatment?

Do you honestly not play the game for the whole group to have fun? Do you not change things to help people explore new ideas or character concepts? I bet you probably do

But if a character says "Why are there no gay people?" or "Can I play a gay person and not be treated like some horrific freak" you are in full pepe mode losing your shit.

Get a fucking grip
>>
>>55249904
>When the majority of the icons of a setting are straight white men it's easy to assume that this setting is something for straight white men.
Except that hasn't been the case pretty much.. ever. D&D's iconics have been various different races, sexes, and skintones for decades. Pathfinder, arguably the most popular and successful RPG on the market has tons of diversity in it's art and iconics too. No RPG ever published has ever featured a rule or statement declaring that the game is not for non-straight, non-white, non-men.

The entire fucking idea that a game where you can be anyone and do anything is somehow unwelcoming because it doesn't suck enough gay black she-dick is fucking laughable, and it further cements my argument and makes me question your actual investment into any aspect of the hobby if you would dare to brazen lie and say otherwise.

And once more, the point isn't that there is diversity in these games. I've already said several times that RPGs are already diverse as fuck.. the problem is that people look at these things, like you, and insist that it's not diverse enough. That it needs to go out of its way to coddle the feelings of people who are more obsessed with their own identity than the mechanics or the content of the books or the different options available to them. These are people who look at a random MtG card and say it's too "rapey" while having nothing to say about it's value and worth in a deck.

>>55249935
>But if a character says "Why are there no gay people?" or "Can I play a gay person and not be treated like some horrific freak"
The fact that they even think that playing a gay character is somehow special or at all relevant to the average session is more insulting than anything else. No one fucking cares. It's not revolutionary or special. It's not average, sure, but these are games about going on adventures and killing monsters. Not about who you want to fuck.
>>
>>55249904

Not that guy, and I'm probably walking into some shit here but whatever.

I think more the point is that the stuff we already have is the stuff we already have. Instead of taking what we have and changing it into something you can have, why don't you create something new and acceptable for yourselves? The two sides of this argument are never going to play with each other anyway, so why not skip the drama and just make different stuff for different demographics?
>>
>>55249994
You never show a married couple, or courtship, or imply sex at all in your D&D games?

Sure, maybe your games are all the classic OD&D spend 99% of your time in a hole killing stuff but most people play this game with a good amount of social interaction.
>>
>>55249994
You fucking moron. He's obviously not talking about Pathfinder. Everyone knows Pathfinder is diverse, and 3rd's art direction was widely praised for increasing diversity. A lot of older games and indie titles however are not, and while nobody is forcing them to change these things (can't change the old titles anyway) they're absolutely right to say it's a dick move to make settings without reasonable representation.

Stop fucking strawmanning the position as "your setting has to have black trannies everywhere or you're a bigot" you goddamn stereotype.
>>
>>55250028
>"your setting has to have black trannies everywhere or you're a bigot"
The problem is that's the exact fucking argument coming out of reddit and kotaku and the mary sue and all these fucking shitty rags, and for some fucking reason, the big companies are cowering to them, because a few dozen non-customers whining that a game they don't want to play and won't purchase feels "unwelcoming" makes game designers shit their pants.
>>
>>55249998
Plenty of people already do that, dude. But criticizing other properties for not having any appreciable diversity is entirely reasonable.

>so why not skip the drama?

Because society doesn't change without at least some drama, and changing the representation of groups in art is part of the process of change.
>>
>>55242953
I think his d&d 5e series was supposed to be pretty task oriented and combat heavy, kind of what you expect from "standard" d&d game. That was my impression from half of the first episode anyway, and i didn't bother watching further for that reason.
>>
File: denton.jpg (17KB, 207x253px) Image search: [Google]
denton.jpg
17KB, 207x253px
>>55250048
Keep in mind that we're not talking about Reddit, Kotaku, or the Mary Sue (I don't know what the last is, but the first is a forum that includes all sorts of cranks so you can cherry pick any position you want from them, and the second makes its bank with inflammatory bullshit), but the guy in the OP image, referenced here >>55242633.
>>
>>55250051
I guess I'm missing the point here. I'm gay and I don't really feel like society should change for me. Who I want to have sex with is the least interesting thing about me and, it mostly seems like, nobody cares. I don't think it's reasonable for me to ask people to change their views or actions for the same reason I don't think it's reasonable for anybody to ask me to change mine. Assuming nobody is causing anyone physical harm of course.
>>
>>55250051
What qualifies as an appreciable level of diversity? Because I can guarantee that all but the most niche games on the market already exceed any imagined injustice that people insist there is. And any game that does not have the arbitrary number of minorities to satisfy you likely does not employ player identity as a meaningful aspect of gameplay in the first place.

>>55250091
Alright, let's loop this back around: The idea that people will feel unwelcome unless the GM or the Designers expressly acknowledge their particular identity is retarded in the first place. Not only will they already tell you that you that you can play any kind of character you like, such as a dwarf who hates mining or an elf that hates forests, but in the vast majority of situations, the similarity between you and a hypothetical fictional person in the game will not be the deciding factor for whether or not you will play that game.

The argument I'm getting from >>55250051 is that I would never play a warforged because I'm not a robot, or that I couldn't play a wizard because magic isn't real. The assertion that steps must be taken to acknowledge all possible identities is couched in the assumption that the only way anyone will be interested buying or playing these many games is if they have some minor reflection of the most boring, least important aspects of who they are... and as >>55250100 said, who you want to fuck is often the least interesting thing about a person.
>>
>>55250100
You do know that anti-homosexual violence hasn't up and vanished, right? It's not as though actual bigots have just vanished into thin air just because it's less socially acceptable to be one. In many states of the US, it's legal to discriminate against someone based on sexual orientation in employment.

But further keep in mind, this isn't some guy haranguing a setting author to change; it's one guy saying it's kind of a dick move to not make your settings more inclusive. This isn't him forcing them to change, or even pestering a specific person to change, but voicing an open opinion.
>>
>>55250178
>What qualifies as an appreciable level of diversity?

Whatever a particular critic feels is an appreciable level of diversity. This isn't a scientific standard, it is one of personal preference and modern social standard.

>>55250178
>The argument I'm getting from >>55250051 (You) is that I would never play a warforged because I'm not a robot, or that I couldn't play a wizard because magic isn't real.

No, you fucking dipshit. Both of those are adequately represented as acceptable archetypes within the game. They are also not things with bearing in the real world. Robots will not feel as though Eberron isn't something they have a place in, because they're represented within it (though I believe homosexuals are too, it's been a while) but I do recall a black blogger feeling as though they didn't have much stake in the setting because there were no black people within the setting; there was a big shitstorm about it on /tg/ years ago.

>The assertion that steps must be taken to acknowledge all possible identities is couched in the assumption that the only way anyone will be interested buying or playing these many games is if they have some minor reflection of the most boring, least important aspects of who they are... and as >>55250100 said, who you want to fuck is often the least interesting thing about a person.

Who someone wants to fuck determines who they'll eventually choose to be a long term partner, which is an absolutely hugely important component of someone's life and identity. But that said, sure, would you feel terribly welcome if gaming was dominated by settings that were composed mostly of black transexuals? If they were considered the "default" perspective in everything?
>>
>>55250178
>The idea that people will feel unwelcome unless the GM or the Designers expressly acknowledge their particular identity is retarded in the first place

Good thing that's not the solution he proposed then huh (I think it was "play a Dwarf, or something...). It's weird how this gets mentioned once, for a little over a minute, in 1 of 40 some odd videos and this is what we choose to fixate over.
>>
>>55250313
Just because it's weird. The rest of it is just information and experiences and the politics seems out of place.
>>
>>55220990
I would suggest that DMs don't really need an excuse for anything they do, setting-wise. That's implying that there's a right way to do things, and that deviating from it requires some sort of plaintive begging for forgiveness, or failing that, an excuse (which they apparently don't have!).
>>
Jesus christ, can absolutely nothing degenerate into identity politics flame wars now?

I hate this future we've created.
>>
Humans, Dwarves, Halflings are european.
Orcs are african.
Elves are asian.
Tieflings are south americans.
>>
>>55251059
>orcs aren't germanic
>tieflings aren't byzantines

say what?
>>
>>55224661

Of course you'd think playing a human was boring.
>>
>>55249466
I'm not even a particular GURPS fanboy, I've only dabbled.

FATE and GURPS are similiar enough that if you like one you should at least appreciate what the other does. I personally play FATE, but saying that GURPS is shit in the same breath as saying FATE is good is just bizzare to me. I agree the GURPS books are kind of horribly laid out and complicated, but they're both really solid RPGs.
>>
>>55249854
Car lesbians counts?
>>
>>55251059
How are we tieflings?
>>
>>55251546
It says unsettling things about the state of /tg/ that it took this long for anyone to come up with the one obvious answer. Busty Bimbo Barbarians would have been acceptable too, but then again, I doubt any of the newfags pretending to be oldfags know that either of those games exist.
>>
>>55249451
>There's literally nothing wrong with homogenous societies, a

Captain It seems the missile went right over the targets head, SIR!
>>
I remember he went and did a 10 minute rant about the Succubus skin for Kerrigan in Heroes of the Storm and how it's sexist.

Dude pushes agendas like a motherfucker but he can DM pretty well.
>>
>>55251059
Humans are Europeans
Dwarves are Swiss
Orcs are Germans
Halflings are British
>>
>>55251059

Elves - not celts.
>>
>>55253073
>Swiss
>Germans
>not Europeans
You wot mate?
>>
>>55251268
Orcs get penalties to int so they have to be african
Tieflings are smelly racemixers so south america works
>>
>>55215905
Jesus Christ he looks like shit.
>>
>>55253127
He's American, he probably thinks that Europe is a country.
>>
>>55250988
This is the future you chose.
>>
>>55251268
Orcs are Mongols. Tieflings being Byzantine sounds fine, but that means the elves can't be Romans.
>>
>>55253072
[proof needed]
>>
>>55222535
So white people don't like to play L5R?
>>
Okay, let me clear something up as a minority myself. I am Filipino, and I have had Filipino, black, Jewish, and Punjabi players among white players. Absolutely none of them (including myself) gave a shot if our races were represented in a setting or not and almost never play the same race as ourselves. We look at the ethnicities of a setting as characterization of the setting itself rather than how we feel included. No one plays a non-Rokugani in L5R and people play any ethnicity in modern settings. We all play any ethnicity we like as long as it's applicable.

Outside of some identity politic obsessed players (and my players are extremely liberal and progressivist but still don't insert identity politics into my games), no one gives a shit if a fantasy setting is European. We have other settings for other options when we want them. You are all arguing of a virtually non-existent issue.
>>
>>55215905
He does not even have the decency of dying his beard the same color as his hair.

YES I MAD.
>>
>>55218891
Well he's not wrong
>>
Anyone else remember the time when /tg/ could have good threads without /pol/ invading?

I miss those times.
>>
>>55218812
Have several, then a few more. Maybe you'll drink yourself out of the delusion that not liking an infamously bloated, poorly written mess of a series with deeply dislikable and shallow characters is not contrarian. The only people that actually still like WoT are those that free up reading it when there was nothing else available and still have 12 yr old shit taste
>>
>>55223399
I lost my shit
>>
>>55254892
>inb4 20 screeching posts about le /pol/ boogeyman
>>
>>55254529
Funny thing is, most people I know who've played L5R are asian, but I don't really know many whiteys anyway. I'm black myself and have never played a black character. The idea never actually occurred to me.
>>
>>55254732
This. My group doesn't see their characters as an expression of self and we look down on people who do that. I think you'd have to be pretty personally dissatisfied and petty to see role-playing as an opportunity to lionize yourself. We've played as all Japanese peasants, a family of Ethiopian immigrants, etc.
>>
>>55249935
Ntgb I am at the point where if I pick up a book and it uses 'she' as a GNP throughout, they don't get my money.
>>
>>55250028
>I'm only complaining about ancient shit and obscure games nobody plays!
>>
>>55255098
I see plenty of people just rp themselves in fantasyland. It's like the most basic form of rp, it's just few go so far as to add a recolor. Though most won't have to since they're white already.
>>
>>55251466
The stance of "fate good, gurps bad" is the stance of
"playing a character bad, playing a narrator good"
>>
>>55255173
This, most people do this. Especially first or second time players.

It's not about lionizing themselves, it's just that they're not used to RPing yet so they basically just play themselves.
>>
I feel his videos have pushed me from mediocre GM to decent GM.
>>
>>55254732
>>55255098
This is the exact point I've been making. The games are already diverse on a setting level and there's no rules against playing a black or gay character.. And the people who aren't straight white men already play the game without feeling rejected or out of place, which isn't a huge fucking deal in the first place... and despite all of that being reality, there are still people who want to dominate the hobby with talk about tolerance and acceptance and diversity, because that shit gives them power over a small subculture.

People who care about the hobby play the games and enjoy them, regardless of their personal beliefs or self-applied social labels. People who only want to talk about how oppressed and marginalized they are show that they only see the hobby as a tool to exploit in service of some ill-conceived agenda to end bigotry by being an obnoxious faggot.
>>
>>55254788
I agree. that shit's just lazy
>>
>>55249627
This is the only reasonable way to look at it.
>>
>>55255812
The games are already diverse on a setting level and there's no rules against playing a black or gay character..

You fucking dipshit. You just ignored the entire thread's worth of points. You also never responded to the last point made against you.

>And the people who aren't straight white men already play the game without feeling rejected or out of place, which isn't a huge fucking deal in the first place... and despite all of that being reality

If the hobby were overrepresented by straight white men, you'd consider that proof that these groups just don't care about the hobby. There's absolutely no winning with people like you.

>there are still people who want to dominate the hobby with talk about tolerance and acceptance and diversity, because that shit gives them power over a small subculture.

People making blog posts, news articles, and youtube videos have no power over the subculture beyond that which the people who choose to listen to them give them.

>People who care about the hobby play the games and enjoy them, regardless of their personal beliefs or self-applied social labels.

Have you been on /tg/ longer than five minutes? People who care about the hobby bitch endlessly about it. Really bitching about it is the first sign you care about it, because someone who didn't care, wouldn't want to see it change for the better.

>People who only want to talk about how oppressed and marginalized they are show that they only see the hobby as a tool to exploit in service of some ill-conceived agenda to end bigotry by being an obnoxious faggot.

Or, they care about representation within the hobby (as some gamers care enough to whine about companies becoming progressive enough to annoy them) and want to see it improved for the better.
>>
>>55255812
>>55258193
Also, I'd like to point out that you're claiming a guy who makes youtube videos about gaming, full predominantly of gaming advice, does not care about the hobby, because he said that you don't have an excuse to not make your setting more inclusive to make players feel more welcome. Are you aware how fucking idiotic that is?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (244KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
244KB, 1280x720px
>>55258193
>>55259539
Representation and diversity are non-issues that are only exaggerated for the sake of outside groups who wish to enforce their idiotic ideology on other subcultures so they can amass more influence and attention for themselves, and betrays the actual intent and purpose of the entire hobby, which is to play games and enjoy them, not to use them as a tool for activism and virtue signalling.

I don't even give a fuck about the e-celeb in the OP. The issue I have is that people keep humoring this moronic, baseless notion that we have to go out of our way to make people people feel welcome to hobbies that has few, if any barriers at all. The fiction of these games are already diverse. The attitudes of the people you play with will matter more than the art in the book and whether or not it has just the right number of black women in it. When you go out of your way to insist that we still need to do more or that it's a problem that people don't want to go out of their way to heap even more special treatment on people because of their identity, and not their actual preferences (case in point, the gay, non-white anons in this thread who say they don't give a fuck about the shit you're trying to push) all you are doing is validating a mentality that doesn't hold up to even the faintest scrutiny in the first place.

And as much as you may insist that this shit doesn't matter and that empowering whiny blogging fuckwits doesn't make a difference, Paizo and WotC, two of the biggest gaming companies in the world, spend more than enough time soapboxing about the importance of diversity and representation. They seem to care more about the number of gay and tranny NPCs they can cram into one pre-written adventure. I've seen enough companies turn to utter shit because they became too preoccupied with using their business as a platform for misguided activism. It's a cancer that's turned every social media company into Orwellian thoughtpolice. We don't need it.
>>
>>55260891
As if Paizo and WoTC were any good to begin with.
>>
>>55261014
They really aren't, but they have a lot of sway in the industry and they have huge audiences. Audiences that are prone to believing that professionals and celebrities in their favorite hobbies are more knowledgeable and informed than they are. It's a dangerous thing to have the authors and designers of these games popularizing this cancerous kool-aid bullshit. Clearly, it's convinced at least one faggot in this thread that there are real problems in the industry when it comes to diversity and inclusivity, even though the best they can offer is some hypothetical situation where someone seeing fictional, straight, white, male characters causes women, gays, and non-whites to run for the hills.
>>
>>55261094
Most clear headed people don't form their political opinion from something they saw in a card game, or in a hugely customisable role playing game. Those that do are a lost cause anyway. So there are gays in my magic the gathering woop dee fucking doo. I can kill them with a thunderbolt, just like I can kill everything else
>>
>>55261496
Normal, rational people don't need to be kept from hurting themselves or others by limiting the spread of retarded ideologies; they can do that themselves. We need to rein it in when the people who can't think for themselves start getting the wrong ideas.
>>
>>55260891
>pic
Not sure I get it, Purple has been speculated about as 6th color in the past, but Orange really comes out of nowhere.
>>
>>55260891
>Representation and diversity are non-issues that are only exaggerated for the sake of outside groups who wish to enforce their idiotic ideology on other subcultures so they can amass more influence and attention for themselves, and betrays the actual intent and purpose of the entire hobby, which is to play games and enjoy them, not to use them as a tool for activism and virtue signalling.

I just want you to justify this first line. Because you're not talking about a large group of people, you started this idiotic tangent over a specific individual who makes youtube videos about gaming. Are you honestly going to assert that he only cares about gaming as a platform to push social change? Because that isn't the case, your entire premise falls apart. Plenty of gamers think that issues such as representation in gaming are important, and acknowledge that while strides have been made, things could still be better (for instance, in Golarion, there could be black people with something approaching the ethnic diversity you see of white people in the setting).

I'm bi and trans and I happen to think representation is important, I know for a fact teenage me would have felt very less out of place if I had seen something like the much hated paragraph in 5th edition.

Representation is not special treatment. You don't see fantasy settings with anything even approximating the ethnic breakdown of the real or ancient world; in fact you tend to see settings with a great many varieties of white people, and few if any non-white people (who tend to be lumped into an absolutely tiny number of cultures and ethnicities) and almost no (often flat out none) gay, bi, or trans people, despite figures like Hadrian (though I agree with Foucault that it might be anachronistic to call him gay) existing in the real world.
>>
>>55260891
>>55262724

Paizo and WotC happen to be companies that have had a progressive bent for a long time now. WotC chose of their own accord to increase the diversity of representation in 3rd, they weren't forced by some SJW conspiracy to do this, and are just continuing their established tradition in so doing.

>They seem to care more about the number of gay and tranny NPCs they can cram into one pre-written adventure.

Do you have any hard numbers to back that up? Because there's been a small handful in some of Paizo's adventures.

>I've seen enough companies turn to utter shit because they became too preoccupied with using their business as a platform for misguided activism.

Which companies in specifically what ways?

>It's a cancer that's turned every social media company into Orwellian thoughtpolice.

Until Twitter starts abducting, brainwashing, and murdering people for having the wrong thoughts, you can't call them Orwellian, you hyperbolic idiot.

>We don't need it.

I disagree.
>>
File: 1343495446631.png (28KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1343495446631.png
28KB, 500x375px
>>55262724
Notht eh other guy, but a question for you. Not sarcastic or anything, either, just curious.
Why do you need to be told how to play an RPG where you build a character of your choice from the ground up? unless your DM hands you premades or something, or has explicitly stated otherwise, I don't see a problem.
>>
>>55262882
Not that anon, but if you mention to a lot of GMs that your pc is gay, or god in heaven, TRANS, they tend to freak out at you for making a "snowflake".
This is especially true of GMs that came up in the internet era where they have a head full of fake horror stories about X players.
>>
>>55262882
I don't, I absolutely never claimed that I do. I said that the paragraph in the 5e PHB that got people like the moron sperging out about a youtube personality saying it's a dick move to not make your settings inclusive (I agree) would have made me, a bisexual trans person raised in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, feel more welcome in this hobby, rather than it just being another part of a society that regards me as a joke at best or a potential threat at worst.
>>
>>55262912
A fair point, but that, i'd say, is a problem with GM's (which is the topic of the thread, I suppose?) and not the system. Now, some of that is on the PLAYER as well, since it's usually the players job to ask specifics about the world theyre going to be in-- commonly done for race, sometimes for class, no reason it can't be for being trans as well?
I dont know for sure though, this seems to be a non-issue for me. GM doesnt allow it? Run your own, shortage of GMs is worldwide AFAIK, otherwise its good.
>>
File: 1378745034344.png (418KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
1378745034344.png
418KB, 700x990px
>>55262979
Again, for curiosity- How would it have made you feel more welcome? I saw it as a reminder of something fairly obvious (you don't have to play as a copy of yourself) and somewhat unnecessary?
I'd like to figure this out, as someone on the outside looking in.
>>
>>55263086
Imagine something you feel very deeply inside of you, that you have absolutely no control over (in fact attempts to be "normal" seem to make it feel worse) is widely considered utterly wrong, and despised by many to the point where bringing it up functions as a potential legal defense in the event of your murder? Now imagine that this particular trait of you only comes up in media when it's used as the butt of a joke, or used to make a villain more off-putting to the audience? Can you see why "it's OK to be this?" from a piece of media you enjoy as a teenager might be at least slightly welcoming?
>>
File: FoUnDiT.gif (1MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
FoUnDiT.gif
1MB, 400x400px
>>55263130
well, being Autistic, shit's just hard for me to understand to begin with, socially speaking.
Then again I also have a lot of unpopular opinions, so idk much of anything. :\
>>
>>55263130
I'm an alcoholic and all of those things apply to me. People tell me to get help because it's a sickness. They are correct.
>>
>>55220990
IMO that depends on the system.
>>55239264
>>55241186
If you take even a single European country you'd probably have enough history, culture, and folklore to draw from for a whole setting. I've played multiple campaigns where the setting was based entirely around Norse mythology.
>>
File: sunless void.png (288KB, 700x1065px) Image search: [Google]
sunless void.png
288KB, 700x1065px
>>55263130
Suicidal tendencies often exist inside a person regardless of social stigma or acceptance. Often because the person has severe mental dysfunction, not because lack of support creates suicidal thoughts.

Additionally, everything you've said about people's traits being used as the but of a joke applies to damned near everyone, but you don't see the French out there pissing and moaning and killing themselves because they're always depicted as rude, cowardly, and snooty.

You want positive affirmations and emotional support? Go talk to a therapist instead of foisting that shit on your friends at the gaming table.
>>
>>55263265
This.
>>
>>55263171
I've had many issues in life, and I'm now realizing that all signs point to autism. As a 29 year old, getting anyone to test me is an obnoxious beaurocratic process with a lot of red tape. The people I know who are familiar with such things tell me they think I didn't get diagnosed as a kid because I was well socialized and had good coping skills.
Shit's frustrating.

>>55263674
Presumably your friends are friends because of emotional support.
>>
When players start telling me as a gm that their character is a pink skinned bi trans dragonborn, I'm put off by their character because being pink, trans or bi have no mechanical impact on the game by default, and the player is implying that to them, these things are important. I couldn't give a fuck if we find out in an interlude that your character is any of these things, but when you're introducing your character to the group and these things come up, it implies that, to you, the player playing that character, that you expect it to be relevant, and fuck you, the book of erotic fantasy isn't part of the game I'm running. Your character can go whoring with people of whatever dangly bits you want of them, but I am gonna gloss over the specifics of your characters sex life and skintone, because, until it is story relevant, I don't give a fuck and none of the NPCs care either, and I'll tell you explicitly when that statement about NPCs not giving a fuck changes so you can decide if you want to fight prejudice or skip it. That's why I tell my players, in setting, dragonborn are hunted by the agents of so and so, and being dragonborn is a crime. You still want to play a dragonborn, well, you asked for the trouble by deciding to play one, and you know the risks should you try to become a dragonborn.
>>
>>55263674
>How could someone find an inclusive setting more inviting?
>Here's how.
>God you fucking snowflake, go see a therapist for wanting to kill yourself?

There's no fucking winning with people like you.
>>
>>55263674
Also I didn't say a single fucking thing about suicide, you goddamn mong.
>>
>>55224783
>he defended new Ghostbusters movie

I dont like it either but this is just an opinion he has

>he will tell you you shouldn't play a white guy if you are a white guy. You should explore more options. And 3 seconds later in a video he will say it is okay for a female arab to play a female arab warrior in viking campaign. So she doesn't feel left out. Double standards?

players, especially new or inexperienced players, like to play versions of themselves. you should let them do that if you can because this is D&D and the goal is for everyone to enjoy themselves. don't be an autist

>He created a Roman Empire that fell apart but before that it conveniently displaced every ethnicity in every region of space so you can play every skincolor in every society and culture. Muh diversity

see above. dont be an autist
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.