[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An Adventurer's Non-magical Gear Should Slowly Turn Magical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1486626449810.jpg (47KB, 265x275px) Image search: [Google]
1486626449810.jpg
47KB, 265x275px
Given enough time and enough exposure to magic, non-magical items will slowly become magical themselves. And, one place that is constantly exposed to magic is the backpack of an adventurer.

Anything magical radiates a magical aura. It's what spells like Detect Magic detect, and with enough of this magical radiation even the environment around an object or creature begins to change. The area surrounding powerful magical artifacts will often take on traits of that artifact, which is evident from how spells like 3e's Detect Good/Evil or 4e skills like Arcana can actually detect lingering auras for days even from a short exposure of such an artifact. in 5e, this is also what leads to the phenomenon of "Lairs", where the environments around powerfully magic creatures become infused with their magical essence.

Adventurers, aside from carrying magical items and being constantly exposed to other sources of magic, are often powerfully magic creatures themselves. This exposure to magical radiation would be more than sufficient to turn an area magical, but with Adventurers typically traveling around, the only things that would be constantly exposed to magic would be the gear that the adventurer's bring with them.

A spoon that sits next to a collection of wands may slowly develop a habit of making any dish it touches taste fresher and more delicious, with perhaps the adventurer not even realizing it has become magical.
A lucky brooch that is worn by a mage that constantly casts spells like Mage Armor or Shield may eventually be able to be used as a focus that replaces the material components for those spells.
The boots of an adventurer that has walked from one side of the continent to the next may simply have never even thought about how quickly the boots of his companions have been worn out while his have endured all those miles.
>>
As time passes in a campaign, a DM should occasionally stop and ask the players to reflect on their past adventures, and to see if one of the mundane items they carry may have started to exhibit a strange quality due to being exposed to magical radiation.

A paladin that may have spent a fair amount of time fighting against the undead may notice that his flask adds a slight tingle to any alcohol he puts into it, and that such a liquid can actually deal a point of damage when splashed against an undead creature.
A wizard who kept casting burning hands over and over again may notice that a small wave of her gloves is enough to dissipate normal smoke in a 10-foot cube.

Perhaps, slowly, these items can develop stronger powers, and perhaps even end up becoming legendary items that become integral with the legend of that adventurer.

Is there any gear your own character may have that might be slowly turning magical?
>>
Even despite your cancerous OP pic, I'm going to agree here. A sword that you bathed in blood of five dragons, or a dagger that you used to slay a loved one just has a more personal connection to you than some sword +1 you found on a dead guy.
5e doesn't quite encourage this approach, but does push you to it slightly, since you can't just buy magic swords in Walmart anymore
>>
>>55202332
>Random crap can become magical

That sounds hilarious, though I do have to wonder if there's a maximum radius and diminishing returns as subsequent things are enchanted. Otherwise I'd expect huge swaths of land to just be magic zones where anything left there for more than a day becomes enchanted.

On the other hand, it might explain the proliferation of enchanted forests...

Also I'm intensely curious to know if some cosmic law makes a pair of shoes always pick up the same enchantment for each individual shoe. If not, that makes a degree of sense. If it does, then that's fascinating and deserves to be studied.
>>
>>55202483
>one shoe increases your move speed by 5 feet but gives disadvantage against trip attacks
>the other shoe decreases your move speed by 5 feet but gives advantage against trip attacks
>the wearer has never realized
>>
this is exactly what happens in Earthdawn. Most of the magical crap that is around, is magical because the wielders have gone forth and performed great deeds.
>>
>>55202483
>I'd expect huge swaths of land to just be magic zones where anything left there for more than a day becomes enchanted.

That's actually the case in many settings. In Faerun, the underdark actually has a special kind of magical radiation called Faerzress, which not only is harnessed to create artifacts and on a smaller scale to temporarily enchant items, it also plays a role in the food chain with magical plants and fungi feeding off of it in place of sunlight or nutrients.
>>
File: Dragonslayer.jpg (61KB, 540x387px) Image search: [Google]
Dragonslayer.jpg
61KB, 540x387px
>>55202332
I can think of one example.
>>
>>55204110
I think that the whole "items becoming magical" thing has always been inherent to Japanese thought, what with things like Tsukumogami and all.
>>
That is how shit happens for most magic items in Earthdawn. Heroes do legendary shit with stuff and some of that hero's legend rubs off on it.
>>
>>55202332
By that logic magical items will either stop being magical or become more magical in a similar timeframe.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.