[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 68

File: marc_aura_0.jpg (158KB, 1400x600px) Image search: [Google]
marc_aura_0.jpg
158KB, 1400x600px
Where Were You Edition

Resources for Worldbuilding: https://pastebin.com/yH1UyNmN

Thread Question:
>What great empires exist in your world?
>What great empires USED to exist, or WILL exist once day?
>What is their foreign policy?
>What is their legal system like?
>How successful are they?

Hard Mode:
>How did/will they fall?
>>
File: orgies-perverts.jpg (459KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
orgies-perverts.jpg
459KB, 1920x1200px
>>55198908
Bonus Questions:
>What vice is considered stereotypical of the people of your empire?
>How true is it?
>>
File: 004_by_pfpictor-d9apvqf.png (1MB, 1000x730px) Image search: [Google]
004_by_pfpictor-d9apvqf.png
1MB, 1000x730px
Why don't I see more late antiquity around here?
>>
>>55198908

On my setting, its based on space, so there were some great space empires, disapointgly, I am not good with names, but its no biggie they are some background stuff.
The Empire of Humanity, formely the Galactic Empire, was the most recent great empire, thru some other nations led by man exist, they don't claim being the succesor of that Empire, there is a sentiment among men, that humanity will rise again.
Most of the empires try assert their strength before deciding to annex, make it into tributary state,protectorate it or bring under its trading system
Depends on each individual world, some are trials, some are decided by duels, but the dragons had a really retarded system for the sake of being obtuse.
Most of the really big ones claim a chunk of the multiverse.

Depends on the world aswell, for some is Matrix hopping, gladitorial fights, "illegal" races,slavery and drugs.
>How true is it?
People sell their bodies to have their concience sent into a digital dimention, in a one way trip to an unknown realm where they can say goodbye to all sorts of problems.

Also, the Empire decriminalised drag and urban racing, with 3 points.
>If you endanger others by racing traffic, its bad
>If you crash at some property, its your responsability
>If you race the in a place that didn't had anyone other than the fellow racers (observers do not count), the race is not illegal
>Not enforced but appreciated:film it so it can used as defence in court.

The empire has badder shit to engage, so thrill seekers are ignored as long as they don't cause an accident, or risk one.
>>
File: Image1.png (268KB, 1050x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Image1.png
268KB, 1050x1050px
>>55198908
Heyo, /wbg/. Would anyone care to take a peek at the setting I'm working on and see if it's any good? It's still fairly incomplete, so some things may seem strange.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L_1ykFxA3B7kCCGx1IZ-CkkAvjjQ3aYANCRrnfpSirQ/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>55199127
Most people don't grasp what makes it different from low middle ages and they prefer the mix of high middle ages and renaissance to that anyway. Also everyone wears chainmal.
>>
File: Gethsemane map Small.jpg (221KB, 1940x1128px) Image search: [Google]
Gethsemane map Small.jpg
221KB, 1940x1128px
>>55198908
Not empires as such but the UDT (United Dolmian Territories) and the ICH (Imperial Confederacy of Helonde) are in a state of constant territorial flux at their shared borders. While both alliances refuse to admit to have taken any direct acts of war, they readily pay and equip mercenary pilots to fight for them.

Ostra before the Habitat Wars was once a united territory but a combination of an economic sanction from the supposedly friendly Lorin nation states and a brief but bloody civil war on the Dolmin sea islands saw the former Ostran Pact dissolve into a balkanized warzone of tinpot dictators and revolutionaries

Troa looks to be a possible future power as it currently has an uneasy alliance with both the UDT and the ICH, holding their petty squabbles at an arms length while greatly profiteering from the conflict in loans to both nations. Troa are looking to acquire land in the islands north of Dolmia thanks to their already agreeable shallow-sea trade arrangements.

The Post-Habitat War climate has left the superpact powers in a state of unease with each other, mostly due to territories viewing this as an opportunity to break away. Formally there should be no interference with sovereign states but its an open secret that nearly every single one is host to proxy wars for their former allies.

For example: Secessionist former Lorin and Astrudian nations allied to create a huge neutral zone stretching from Dinan to Janlun. Both the LNS and and Kingdom of Astrudia are not too pleased about this neutral zone alliance given the gulf of societal differences between these parties and stoke conflict there in the hope of shattering the alliance.
>>
>>55201124
>keeping the artic and antartic oceans
kek
>>
>>55198908
>>What great empires exist in your world?
As of right now, there is no great empires.

>>What great empires USED to exist, or WILL exist once day?
There was a great empire - commonly called the empire of man. It now degraded into smaller kingdoms. (Landmass is size of UK+ireland). Main influence is that while kingdoms coin their own coins, generally they still follow the old empire coinage, and some trade languages.

>>What is their foreign policy?
>>What is their legal system like?
>>How successful are they?
N/A
>>
>>55201124
Nice map, what is the source?
>>
File: talarian soldier.png (509KB, 1024x1152px) Image search: [Google]
talarian soldier.png
509KB, 1024x1152px
>>55201393
Force of habit I guess; would the be merged into one big sea or called something different?
>>55202393
A shameless recreation by me of the AceCombat Strangereal map style. While thats one style, nomads and freestates living on the outskirts of nations have cruder but more specific maps in different styles.
>>
>>55202549
Its fine mang, I do the same thing some times.
>>
File: Adalian2.png (875KB, 803x540px) Image search: [Google]
Adalian2.png
875KB, 803x540px
>>55198908

None. There's only one empire left, the Valarene Empire, and its Emperor was just slain by a band of heroes, so it's collapsing into civil war. It's been on the steady decline for centuries anyway, though.

Aforementioned Valarene Empire, which once spanned most of the central part of the continent of Adalian. It lost large chunks of land some centuries back, though, most notably the Kingdom of Rhydel. The Emperor Cenno III tried to retake Rhydel recently, but failed and was eventually murdered and supplanted by his advisor Guelfo I. Guelfo I himself was, as mentioned, recently killed by a band of unlikely heroes with unclear goals and good intentions.

For the past few centuries, it was mostly just "keep existing despite massive internal troubles. Summon devils, collect taxes, be assholes to each other".

It's literally the Hellfire Imperium +200 years later. In fact my entire setting is "The Only Fantasy World Map You'll Ever Need +200 Years"

The Emperor was an autocratic dictator with various dukes beneath him. The Emperor's power was based around the fact that the Emperor got access to a bunch of potent magical artifacts that let him summon up and bind devils to his will; not a lot - like, not enough for an army - but enough to have them serve as enforcers and such, cowing the dukes into submission.

Cenno III was particularly inept, though, hence his killing and replacement by Guelfo I, who was much more competent and was planning on making another go at Rhydel. Might have been a problem if not for the adventurers previously alluded to.

Back in the day, they controlled their core territory plus Aldedos, Rhydel, the Three Cities, Aolos, and Rovonnia.

With Guelfo I dead with no successor, they're basically on the verge of civil war.
>>
>>55202549
>>55202549
>A shameless recreation by me of the AceCombat Strangereal map style.

No worries, I use a hexmap of the falkland islands as a landmass
>>
Okay if i want a race of spiders and each subspecies to have advantages/disadvantages what would be some good ones?

I think i recall there being a bit of art someone had on /tg/ of this exact thing in the past couple of months but i cant find it on suptg
>>
>>55200129
You've got what seems to me to be a strong conceptual framework of the world you're making as well as the purpose of the world, which is always a plus. I like what I'm seeing so far.
>>
I need some feedback for planets in a sci fi verse and how plausible they are.

- A habitable planet that also has a habitable moon, similar in scale to the Pluto-Charon system.

- A former garden world inhabited by a precursor race that survived an attempt to destroy it.
Could it still support life with a chunk blown out of it? Or would it need force fields to prevent the atmosphere from escaping?
>>
>>55203099
I'll bump this for you man.
>>
File: Unikorea flag.jpg (21KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Unikorea flag.jpg
21KB, 200x200px
Is this a good flag for a unified korea?
>>55205064
Is the moon terraformed? If not then it doesnt seem impossible for life to have 'jumped' so to speak to the moon, Look up dxun in the star wars wiki, dxun is a moon that gets so close to its planet that life was able to cross over to the moon. Depends how advanced the systems were for the second one.
>>
>>55205118
looks good, but i recommend taking the octagon off, makes it too complex
>>
>>55205272
the octagon is a korean symbol meaning heaven or balance. some shit like that
>>
>>55205713
i know, but south kore is a simple one, i think it should remain it as that
>>
Is a soldier class a real, or even possible thing? Not warriors, or knights, not the noble fighter classes but a sort of professional soldier class, a grunt. Better trained and disciplined than the farmers, artisans, and other peasants that could form a levy but less well equipped and funded than the warrior class?
>>
>>55206808
On a suffitiently large theocracy, sure which is what I had on my setting, it consisted of three warrior castes tho, the knights, templars/cops and soldiers/mercs.
>>
>>55206881
More of a smaller theocracy, with the the castes I'm thinking of being
>Sovereigns (Grandmaster and High Priest of the order)
>Leaders (knights, high ranking clergy)
>Soldiers (grunts, low ranking clergy)
>Farmers
>Artisans
>Traders
>>
>>55207269

Ah, then look no futher than India, no seriousely. They have a pretty high number of just soldier caste, but China and India had lots and lots of people, so they didn't know thru a "medieval" period per say. The indian caste is kinda like that, but funny enough I made a caste system similar to this.
>>
>>55207323
Just one thing though, I want to keep the castes related to fighting, and the ones related to clergy separate but equal.
>>
>>55207365

Well, thats kinda what the indians had, bramins and warriors (forgot their names) were indeed separate. Unless of course some priests went to war (in the indian system) but I'm not particularly informed of it
>>
File: skanderbeg.jpg (231KB, 784x916px) Image search: [Google]
skanderbeg.jpg
231KB, 784x916px
What are some of your setting's founding fathers and national heroes?

Historical or mythological, and were they really that great?
>>
>>55207460
Now that I think about it, the founding fathers of some of my countries aren't really that great.
>>
What kind of security systems would there be in a spellpunk (think Eberron) setting. I'm having my players do a heist to steal an airship from a hangar, and I'm a bit lost for ideas.

So far I have
>Need to steal documents proving ownership as well
>Hangar doors are locked from the outside, and bolted from the inside - bolt is incredibly heavy and needs to be smashed through or operated by some machinery, both of which are noisy.
>Obviously guards
>Once they enter the hangar, they trip a magical alarm calling for reinforcements.
>>
>>55207460

For the Republic (formally Kingdom) of Ehreist, their greatest hero is undoubtedly King Allard I, AKA Allard the Great. He effectively created the nation as it exists today by uniting the disparate kingdoms and city-states of the region under one banner. He did this by earning the trust and allegiance of Ehreist's dragon population, which gave his forces numerous tactical advantages.
>>
File: 1367363876806.png (102KB, 172x256px) Image search: [Google]
1367363876806.png
102KB, 172x256px
So I have a bit of a latin question. In my world there is a kind who failed to sire a son and died with four daughters. However his daughters and the general establishment were so popular (and all the alternatives too offenses to the various kingmakers to all agree on) that they made all four daughters 'princesses' to avoid a civil war, and established an order to both protect them and help with bureaucratic administration.

Would "Ordo Quatuor Reginas" be the proper latin for "Order of the Four Princesses"? It's just a google translation and I'm guessing it's not a good one. I was thinking either that or "Order of the Four Crowns".
>>
>>55207919
Reginas is the feminine for Rex, which means king, not princess.

Princeps means Prince, so it would probablly be Princepsa or something, but I don't think there was female princeps in the context of roman history, not a language expert tho.
>>
File: 1270150588845.gif (2MB, 320x193px) Image search: [Google]
1270150588845.gif
2MB, 320x193px
So, what would a modern Praetorian or Royal Guard look like? Say, the tech level is around 80's 90's and soldiers tote assault rifles and such. What would an elite, prestigious force focused on guarding a palace and surrounding upper quarter look like? What would their battle dress be, given they are expected to act as both Secret Service agents and front-line urban troops?
>>
>>55207919
The best examples of translation are always what other people have used in the past.

'Princess' as a title has several potential meanings, from daughter of a monarch, wife of a prince, or, in your case, the female equivalent of a 'prince' who rules a principality. You're after a title which implies authority.

Right now, I'm trying to see what female non-royal rulers have described themselves as. There's not many, so I'm still searching. I'll keep you posted.
>>
My setting has a 'greatest' species that rises out of each generation of life. For dinosaurs, that's dragons, for birds, there's rocs (giant owls), for mammals, there's titans (basically giant gorillas). I want there to be a fourth here for fish/aquatic life, and I've researched a bit to find something large that might fit, but I didn't want to use whales or anything else that breathes air, since these leviathans need to be able to reside at the bottom of the ocean and be wholly aquatic.

I really just wanted some ideas from you guys on what might be cool to use in this niche. So far I've got giant sharks, like the megalodon, and possibly giant squid. They're supposed to be on the same caliber of coolness as dragons, but I'm having trouble deciding what to use. So, anybody have any ideas?
>>
>>55208375
Perhaps tritons or mermaidpeople? or sea serpents
>>
>>55207919
>>55208234
Right, so I've been using the Empress Matilda as a case study. She appears to have been called 'Lady of the English', which one source I've found has given as Domina Anglorum. Though this isn't a cast-iron source, I'd be inclined to agree. Domina can be translated as 'mistress', and implies authority, though maybe not lordship (however, it does in Matilda's example.)

I've got a book on the Anarchy, so I'm going to see what Poole has to say about the title. Considering that they're co-rulers also, I'll try to see what naming conventions were used for vice or junior kings.

Source for Domina Anglorum: https://lewilliamsauthor.wordpress.com/2012/08/25/what-ifs-and-possible-reigns-matilda-domina-anglorum/
>>
>>55208410
These guys are supposed to be fundamentally animals, like dragons or giant birds, so I was hoping to avoid having something humanoid. The 'mortal' races, like humans and draconics and other animal races, are all humanoid. And there will likely be merpeople to fill that niche anyway.

Sea serpents is always where my mind goes when I think of something like that, so it's an idea. Thanks.
>>
>>55208450
Domina is the female for Dominus, which means lord, as in year of the lord/anno domni, so it means lady, not mistress, again I could be wrong.
>>
>>55207919
>>55208450
Poole has gone above and beyond.

"On the motion of the legate, who managed the whole business, she was chosen Domina Anglorum, a style customarily used in the interval between election and coronation." (pg 143).

Considering none of your princesses are sole coronated rulers, I think it works perfectly.

I've not researched 'Ordo', but my Taylor's giving me 'rank, order, line', which could work. I'm unsure if that's the best word to use but it seems sufficient.

'Ordo Quattuor Dominae' seems to me to be a good translation for Order of the Four Princesses, then. Hope this helped.
>>
>>55208584
Words can have several different meanings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominus_(title)
>"Dominus is the Latin word for master or owner."
The female form of master is mistress.
>>
File: tumblr_oboqdbUuMA1vcgfxlo1_400.gif (84KB, 268x262px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oboqdbUuMA1vcgfxlo1_400.gif
84KB, 268x262px
>>55208602
Thanks, now I can finally give a title to this group.
>>
>>55208776
Sorry anon, had an epiphany while on the loo.

Dominae is the genitive singular, not the plural. It should be Dominarum. Rookie mistake on my part. I hope you see this because the other is decidedly incorrect.
>>
>>55208218
Look up paratrooper uniforms.
>>
>>55208375
Kakens.
>>
>>55208218
These do actually exist you know.

The basic set-up is almost always a historic ceremonial uniform for regular duties, and body armour just like everyone else if you expect immediate attack. Some units have seperate ceremonial rifles, other carry modern weapons with their 19thC uniforms.

The British Foot Guards (and the rest of the Household Division) and Papal Swiss Guard are the most famous, but most monarchs and presidents have a cadre of blokes in silly hats to guard them, though they may share that role with off-screen Spec-Ops/Counter-Terrorism agencies.

For your one-size fits all group you would have 3 seperate roles.
1. Household Guards for ceremonial duties and visible protection. Fancy uniform, carbine/rifle, little or no armour. Can gear up as full line troops with no real distinctions from regular infantry beyond unit badge.
2. Secret Service guys, both as more understated visible security and for blending into crowd. Little or no armour, conceable weapons. Suits or civvies. Either very friendly or bitter rivals to wider police/paramilitary counter-terrorism units.
3. Crisis Team, the Tier -1 spooks for when immediate action is needed to protect/rescue the VIPS. SAS black, CQC weapons (SMGs, shotguns, paratrooper LMGs etc.).
>>
>>55203099
An advantage could be that they're excellent craftsmen in their autistic ability to seek perfection, while also being able to multitask to achieve it. Like running an entire shop on your own or whatever.

I wouldn't recommend just doing the lame drider thing with human on top and spider on bottom, make equal use of all eight limbs.

A disadvantage could be a solitary lifestyle. Spiders don't work well with each other and it makes it difficult to build any actual kind of society.

>>55205064
It's an interesting idea but realistically not really. We really on the moon as a way to stabilize the Earth's tilt and rotation, which keeps it stable enough that weather patterns are able to maintain consistency. In a binary planet system you essentially have two competing stellar bodies constantly threatening to crash into each other or spin away, so it's too chaotic for any kind of life to form.

I'd go with the precursor race magic as a good way to justify the setting. Have each planet be colonized by the same people that gradually diverged.

>>55207460
The First. Honestly none one in Colony is even sure he was even real, so he's more speculative than documented existence, but by multiversal design there had to have been an original person from which the Alters branched off. He's the mythical yet only real identity they're all seeking to emulate.

>>55207795
Kill Six Billion Demons had a really cool one where there was a giant vault door guarded by a really big head. As soon as a thief tampers with the lock, the big head screams, and the only way to shut it up is to feed someone to it.

What this does is sow doubt and mistrust among a party of thieves, which sets up an inevitable betrayal among them.
>>
>>55198908
An ancient civilization of cyclops bastard children who came under the influence of the god trapped within their planet. Soon they grew feverishly religious and sacrificed themselves so the god beneath the surface could grow stronger.
>>
File: new map.jpg (2MB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
new map.jpg
2MB, 3300x2550px
What races work best for a Late Antiquity/Early Middle Ages kind of setting?
>>
>>55198908
The Solarans are not an empire. They are a voluntary syndicate -- a syndicate that stretches down to every single individual, every ounce of energy churned out by their mitochondria, every spark of thought that runs through their head. The entirety of life is used to haul their voluntary syndicate through endless wars of imperialism. All resources are directed towards precise violence -- the administrators are all military officers. Come to think of it, who isn't employed by the military?
>>
Generic Third Reich Wins world, Germany controls most of Europe, Vichy France is in full control of france, Italy controls the Med, Egypt, Ethiopia, etc, Spain regained Cuba and maybe some other colonies, pretty much all axis members are doing well. Additionally, the SS(well, a nerfed not-as-evil version, more like Leon Degrelle's vision of it than Dirlewanger's or whatever the fuck that psycho was called) is now something like a cross between the UN and the teutonic knights/knights Templar: The maintain Fortified outposts around the world, are headquartered in the Baltic, and fight demons, Communists, Jews, n sheeeiiiit. Several Nations (Germany and Japan) are also starting to colonise the solar system, other than suppressed Jewish magic there's not really anything impossible going on.
About what you'd think, the British empire was dismantled, the US and USSR balkanised into several puppet states, etc.
Germany fulfills the role that the US did in the 60s-90s, but without the USSR. Other countries are left to their own devices so long as they play nice.
Fascist, but not a cartoony police state. Doing more research now to see just what exactly day to day life under a triumphant 3rd Reich would be like.
Very, automation is kicking in early (with little negative impact due to massive investment in small scale farms and the military, which provide a way for former factory workers to find meaningful employment) and population expansion is being redirected towards colonising the poles, parts of Africa, and space. The biggest threat to world prosperity at the moment is Jewish cultists/space demons, possible nuclear sabotage, maybe some sort of financial crisis but probably not.
Hard Mode:
>How did/will they fall?
Kabbalah space horrors/disease devastating the population.
>>
File: geo.jpg (1MB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
geo.jpg
1MB, 3300x2550px
Bump with content.
>>
>>55203099

Orb weavers with females capable of weaving a cotten like strand when they eat spices from the (insert trading partner area here), they weave complex clothing, rugs, tapestries and magical textiles like flying carpets and magic summoning circles. Their work is sold at extravagant prices especially magical textiles and as such the females live in luxure for the remainder of their lives, not long lived a fem orb weaver will spend about 1/3rd of her life weaving one beautiful textile and retire on the coin she gets selling it.
>>
>>55203099
>>55212161

Small (relatively), fast spiders capable of squid/cuttlefish level self camoflage that have incredable mimicry capabilities. Hire themselfs out as assassins and spies. You can either make them able to change shape and voice to simulate their target or just able to infiltrate areas and hide masterfully to spy on high ups for crutial information.
>>
File: huntin the demon.jpg (586KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
huntin the demon.jpg
586KB, 1024x768px
bump, anyone have some feedback for my map? I'm pretty new to all this so any and all advice is appreciated.
>>
>>55213012
Looks nice. Very clean, simple map. I don't like the shape of the Troll Lands. Either spread the islands out or make it a river delta.

I'll shamelessly bump mine too >>55211966.
>>
>>55198908
The greatest empires were the ancient human empires, though the names of their empires are lost to time, and only isolated ruins of their empires remain, generally buried by time. Now Humans are either adopted into other race's cultures which have become dominant, or exist in simple fishing villages or hunter-gatherer tribes.
>>
File: Climate Map.png (293KB, 2200x1222px) Image search: [Google]
Climate Map.png
293KB, 2200x1222px
Anyone got any feedback on this map? I feel like my placement of deserts/mountains and the like is a bit unrealistic.
>>
File: Political Map.png (1017KB, 10000x5555px) Image search: [Google]
Political Map.png
1017KB, 10000x5555px
>>55213513
And here's the political version.
>>
>>55198908
The great empires are the dragon kings of the east, not proper empires, but definitely the biggest power players, the second greatest would be the elvish diaspora, which lives pridefully in the rubble of their empire which was decimated by the dragons once they arrived on the world
Used to: the elvish empire, it spanned an entire continent and was led by a priest-king and wielded magi-tech levels of magic.
Will: One day far in the future when the elves have secured the world they will transform them selves into dragons using arcane rituals and enslave the other races, continuing the draconic spread across the universe
Dragons: Burn the mortal cities and take slaves, or take their tithes and let them live another day.
Elves: Mostly benevolent, however they like to push their religion. Their reason for not being dicks is that they need to hire mercenaries from the other races to help keep the line in their guerilla war against the dragons.
Dragons: fuck with your lord and owner, you get eaten. Be productive and don't.
Elves: hadn't thought about this too much, but it would be heavily biased against non elves and those of other faiths, you'd likely be sent to the front lines for even a moderate crime.
Dragons: Hard to say, compared to everything in this world, very, but compared to the main body of the draconic empire that they are separated from, nothing of note
Elves: They've taken a steep nose dive in power since the dragons expectantly arrived, but even having lost much arcane knowledge, they still hold much power, but they're too overextend to exercise it.
>Hard Mode:
>>How did/will they fall?
Dragons+Elves: Whether they know it or not in the end these two will essentially become one and the same. Barring a PC or a few they wont end until the universe does.
>>
>>55213526
The big red state in the middle should probably be broken up unless they have a very reliable way to maintain their empire across such large mountains that don't appear to have any way around them.
>>
I want ogres to be a playable race in my setting, but I want a separate name for them so players don't think they're totally monsterous.

What's a good name? (Besides Oni)
>>
>>55214480
What are they like, before I start listing off names?
>>
>>55214480
Dogres
>>
>>55214480
Zmeu.
>>
>>55198908
I'm stuck at a fork in the road in my setting;

I've already put some considerations into the mythology of the setting, that the world this all takes place in is the personal garden of the "Zeus" analogue of the pantheon and Humans were reluctantly allowed to settle it because their original prime material plane was facing an apocalyptic scenario and exodus was their only hope of survival.

This much is established, so I'm thinking for the other races that Humans share this realm with, to go with one of 2 themes:

1: Misfits; like the Humans of the setting every other race in this setting also was facing either an extinction-level event, or possibly an existence so bleak that it could arguably be worse, and one of the Deities of the pantheon decided to pluck them from their fate to have a second chance to grow and thrive in this plane.

2: The Garden Realm; the other option would be to play-up the idea that the main setting is a God's garden and have all the other races of the realm be based on critters (of both the vertebrate and invertebrate variety) one would typically find in someone's garden/backyard.

Which do you think would make for more of an interesting setting?
>>
File: world.png (157KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
world.png
157KB, 2592x1936px
I spent an hour drawing lines and this is what I came up with. Workable?
>>
>>55215187
Personally I like them both and would use them both, but you probably wouldn't be asking if you wanted to choose.

I'd probably go with the former. Allows you lots of flexibility and provides the interesting dynamic of foreign species in the human gods' realm, if that's how it works.
>>
>>55214492
Large, kinda dumb, good craftsmen.
>>
File: Factions.pdf (57KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Factions.pdf
57KB, 1x1px
Rate my factions
>>
>>55216286
They're okay, but a little more context would help.
>>
>>55198908
They call themselves simply the Great Empire and are your typical crumbling Empire, though they are just a few hundred years old. The Emperor may be getting ready to kickstart a massive renaissance, but whether he succeeds is up in the air.
Also there's a few smaller empires on islands and another continent.
There may or may not be a huge Ogre empire in the frozen tundra.
The Old Races have dread empires in their domains, but those are only talked about in whispers.

The Confluence (unexact human translation) - a union of dwarfs and elves that had an insanely advanced civilization built together in the Great Mountains. Too bad local Devil (who is imprisoned in the planet's molten core) blew it up. Remaining Dwarf and Elf kingdoms were originally border fotresses and remote holds. The ruined heart of their realm is now populated by demons and worse, and treasure hunters flock to it. One human kingdom lives entirely off such plunder.

Also the great empire of Dal-Ur back in the early days of humanity, when humans were the biggest dicks on the planet. Said Empire got mostly incinerated by one of the gods for its sins and is now a scorched wasteland full of undead.

Great Empire is not unified enough to have a single policy. Emperor is just trying to hold everything together.

Ogres and Old Races simply want to kill and enslave everyone.

Old Races are in decline, their power stems from their dark gods and the fact they are basically immortal. But they are stagnating hard, that's for sure.

Great Empire is immensely powerful, but divided. Emperor kinda manages to steer it all into direction he desires, but it takes up a lot of effort.

Smaller Empires are waxing and waning as they vie for supremacy.
>>
File: thekingsofhaelich.png (26KB, 969x641px) Image search: [Google]
thekingsofhaelich.png
26KB, 969x641px
Anyone know a good online family tree generator or tool, /wbg/? I used family echo for pic but it only lets you zoom out to a certain extent so I can't get it all on one slide.
>>
>>55218292
Sorry man I can' help ya, I mostly use pixlr and ms paint.
>>
>>55209936
>Kill Six Billion Demons had a really cool one where there was a giant vault door guarded by a really big head. As soon as a thief tampers with the lock, the big head screams, and the only way to shut it up is to feed someone to it.
>What this does is sow doubt and mistrust among a party of thieves, which sets up an inevitable betrayal among them.

I like it
>>
I need some criticism of my setting's history
Currently most proper names are missing.

> before -25 000 years - no info. Various mostly evil precursors rule the world. Elves fight them from time to time, but keep to their Elfrealm (kinda separate universe) most of the time.
> -25 000 years - [God of Dwarfs] forges Dwarfs out of iron, gold, [divine metal] and his own blood. Fresh with the heat of divine fire, the Dwarfs face the Old Races and carve themselves a mighty realm. They make friends with the Elves and forge a great kingdom of unity in the Great Mountains.

>-20 000 years - ice age comes. Most of the Old Races withdraw into their realms. Combined with losses they suffer against dwarf-elf union this marks their decline. Humanity is at neanderthal level and finally has a chance to evolve. Ogres appear (probably).

>-10 000 years - ice age ends. Ogres withdraw as ice recedes. Humans begin to thrive and spread. Dwarf-elf empire at peak of its power.

>-9000 years - [Kinda evil goddess] notices humanity and corrupts them. The humans go on a dreadful rampage across three continents. A few older races are completely annihilated. Elves and dwarfs hold fast.

>-8000 years - humans establish Dal-Ur, the First City, and forge a mighty evil empire on the ruins of noble precursors. Humanity has basically split into 3 big groups by this time - the not!Sumerian/Egyptian culture of Dal-Ur, the not!Celtic culture of those that became friends with the elves, and the not!Nordic culture of those that dwelled around dwarflands.

Cont.
>>
>>55218292
>>55218432
I've decided to use GIMP. It's less user-friendly, but I'm getting the hang of it now and it's looking alright. Multiple marriages are a pain in the arse, and I haven't made the canvas broad enough to deal with all Leogild's bastards. It's coming along well though.
>>
File: building.png (52KB, 830x391px) Image search: [Google]
building.png
52KB, 830x391px
>>55218680
Forgot pic of WIP.
>>
>>55201124
>>55202549
I thought strangereal as soon as i saw it, too.
only because of the style of the map though, almost similar fonts and lines, landmass wise it looks legit.
i too use the strangereal map as a source.
>>
>>55218714
the grid makes a bit hard to read, but its alright
>>
>>55218726
Yeah, I'll remove that when I'm done.
>>
File: thign.png (96KB, 238x212px) Image search: [Google]
thign.png
96KB, 238x212px
>>55218652
>Cont.
>>
>>55218652
Cont.

>-7500 years - disgusted by mankind's sins and bloodlust [another god] annihilates the Empire of Dal-Ur by sending a great wave of fire to wash over the continent. Those killed by it become undead. City of Dal-Ur (a port) works millions of slaves and regular citizens to death, draws upon darkest magics, sacrifices thousands in evil rituals, but manages to separate itself from the continent with a channel, becoming an island. It is blackened by immense heat, but survives, as the wave of fire can't cross water.
The few survivors of the Great Immolations become not!Gypsies. The god in question was rarely heard of since.
Not wishing similar treatment, most humans are driven from the vicinity of Dwarf-Elf empire and forge kingdoms elsewhere.

>-6000 years - humanity spreads across the two continents and islands in between. This is a time of turmoil and fighting. Little is known. Kingdoms come and go, multiple cultures appear.

>-4000 years - powerful kingdoms of men emerge. Of note are [kingdoms] on the western continent, later known as Broken Kingdoms, whom elves and dwarves and even orcs avoided, as they courted some dark powers, the Islands of Swords - the not!Norse, who settled on the islands and became raiders and pillagers, and The Pillars on the eastern continent, city-states built around pillars left by some ancient race, which they draw magic from. They often fight returning Old Races.

>-3000 years - the Old Races come back in force. The Pillars are ravaged, the actual magical pillars mostly destroyed. The people spread into islands of the sea and western continent. Broken Kingdoms are mostly destroyed by orcs. People of Sword Islands are pushing westward as well, trying to establish a foothold on western continent.

Cont.
>>
File: finishedborlene.png (27KB, 921x407px) Image search: [Google]
finishedborlene.png
27KB, 921x407px
>>55218714
That's the main Borlene line done. Next I have to work on Hael and his cronies. The canvas might be a bit narrow, but I think it'll work. Of course, this doesn't list any of Leogild, Ivar or Artur's children, who no doubt exist although I haven't invented them yet, or Qhothyn's wife and stillborn child. So it could get a lot more tangled, especially if I include Estrid's father. We'll see. For now, I'm taking a short break.
>>
>>55218652
I take it we're missing a creation mythos and the creation of the elves?

Jesus, the dwarf-elf alliance existed for over fifteen thousand years? What the heck would that be like, that's a massive amount of time.

Lacking some context, what you have seems alright, so I'll just offer one piece of writing advice- 'is this current date in your setting the most interesting time period in that setting? And if not, why isn't it?'
>>
>>55218825
>is this current date in your setting
I don't understand this. How can you have a "current date"? A "date which is as far into the future as I've thought about" makes sense, but surely all the past you've developed is as much a part of your setting as that.
>>
>>55218785
Cont.

>-2000 years - the [very evil god] apparently score an important victory again [very powerful mostly good god] and unleashes the Cataclysm, as he tries to break from his prison, shattering the Great Mountains and the destroying the heart of Elf-Dwarf empire. Elves and Dwarfs blame each other. Volcanoes erupt across the globe and daemons roam. This checks Old Races' advance, but harms humans too. Many turn to [very evil god]'s service. People of Sword Islands colonize western continent, fending off attacks of devil worshippers and daemons.
A faction of elves are saved by Dark Whisperer (probably a god) and led across the ocean to the ruins of Eastern Continent before the Cataclysm hits. His lies corrupt them and they become quite evil.

>-1500 years - the [very powerful mostly good god] sends a prophet to the people of western continent and with his guidance they forge a small empire. They push northward towards Shattered Mountains, unite with now-desperate Dwarfs and locals and scatter the devil-worshippers in a series of crusades.

>-1000 years - the Great Empire is created. It fights orcs and ogres, most of the time.

>-500 years - Great Empire passes its peak, and begins to crumble. Most of the greater modern kingdoms appears.

>-150 years - the volcanoes churn again, spewing daemons. Humans begin to repopulate Broken Kingdoms and eastern continent.

That's a very rough outline. I'll be populating it with details as I go.

I'm mostly looking for criticism of time scale, but general development as well.
>>
>>55218825
Point is, every race and religion has its own creation myth. Elves just... came to be. Old Races, like Elves or Deep Ones, have their "realms" - sorta separate planes, but not quite. Elf-realm, for instance, is an enormous forest with mountains and rivers, paths all change and warp all the time, and elves there don't know the passage of times. The deeper you go, the less lucid and sane elves appear, as their conciousness dissolved into that of their realm. The only comprehensible elves are the ones living near where the Elf-Realm melds into real world. The High Elves live on this side, and are most human-like, Wood Elves live on that side, and are rather wild and strange by human standards, and Dark Elves are cut off from Elf-Realm and are mostly insane in a bad way.

Hm, 15k years is indeed too much. Something to look into, I guess. Oh well, I guess its time for some immense underground threat to appear.

Oh yes, I will be trying to make "current date" most interesting, its just I like the feel of general decline and doomed-ness, with a small chance of salvation.
>>
>>55213526
What did you use to make these maps
>>
Ok anons I'd like a little help. For my family tree there's two princesses, one is married to a king, the other is married to his son (not by the first one). They are sisters. Any ideas how to make this in a family tree without it going three-dimensional?
>>
>>55199127
My settings later parts take place in a period roughly equivalent to the late antiquity/early medieval period.
Might post its answers to the thread-questions when I get to a computer.
>>
File: Dem incest yo.jpg (26KB, 982x545px) Image search: [Google]
Dem incest yo.jpg
26KB, 982x545px
>>55219931
I done it for you
K=King
Q=Queen (married to the queen)
S=Sister of the Queen
Prince (married to Queen's sister)

Is that what you wanted?
>>
File: themoranproblem.png (39KB, 917x483px) Image search: [Google]
themoranproblem.png
39KB, 917x483px
>>55219931
>>55219982
I've managed it, though it does look a little clunky.
I'm mostly done now, though there's still a few finishing touches to add, particularly on expanding Ragnor's family, which seems impossible without intersecting lines, which I've managed to avoid so far.
>>
>>55220090
hmm, to avoid intersecting lines, try making the intersections from another color.
>>
File: Karl_II_Vorfahren.jpg (371KB, 1864x1168px) Image search: [Google]
Karl_II_Vorfahren.jpg
371KB, 1864x1168px
>>55219931
Sounds a bit like this.
>>
>>55198908
Easy questions are not very interesting for me, so I skip. I just say they were called Reesans.
>How did/will they fall?
They used to allow various peoples who joined the empire to worship their own gods. One day a mystic from a faraway land visited one of their provinces and told people how to kill their god and steal his power. They managed to do the first part but failed to draw his power from the corpse, and corpse stated to rot, poisoning their souls. Every single person who worshipped this god (And they were spread a lot and formed bulk of the imperial army) turned homicidally mad and started slaughtering everyone around them until every single city was destroyed. Eventually they lost the rest of their minds and turned into mindless beasts, but the mainland of the empire was completely desolate.
>>
File: thefinishedhaelichitree.png (64KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
thefinishedhaelichitree.png
64KB, 1500x1000px
>>55220090
The finished product (for now) of the royal family tree. Includes the full family of the House of Bardingas, most of Rurlas, Gorhingas and whatever Darkbeard's will be called, as well as a small section of Haelingas and a small part of the bloatedly-large Borlas bloodline.
I'm finished for now as linking this tree with the Helxian Empire's is a big task, especially as I have yet to decide anything about the kings that divide them. Maybe I'll do it one day. Questions welcome.
>>
>>55218834
Well presumably the story your are writing takes place in the 'present day'
>>
>>55221874
No?
>>
>>55218834
>>55221874
>>55221880
He means that some of the people who worldbuild use a particular time period in their world as its focus - to write a story, have players run around in, or whatever - instead of using the settings full history. Setting wallpaper if you will.
>>
>>55215187
any other thoughts /tg/?
>>
>>55215187
I agree with the other guy,the former better, but it would be interesting if you used both.
>>
>>55219862
A combination of Fractal Mapper and Photoshop. Could have done it all in photoshop but didn't feel like sculpting the coastlines.
>>
>>55215457

It looks decent enough, landmasses arent too smooth or too rough.

The landmass on the top, though, should probably be multiple smaller ones, as it looks like distinct landmasses that are joined together kinda awkwardly.
>>
File: image1.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>55223282
Well you see I actually have mislead you. I was defrosting some lasagna and saw this, so I decided to trace it out.
>>
>>55224025
Not that anon, but it shouldn't matter where you find your inspiration

Looks fine to me
>>
File: Sad goblin.jpg (359KB, 720x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Sad goblin.jpg
359KB, 720x1018px
Why do people use and post in these threads? They're absolutely terrible. I can appreciate what you all are trying to do, but none of it is worth doing nor is it productive in any way.
>Every setting is either generic high fantasy for D&D campaign fluff or is some gonzo weirdness that nobody can use or cares about
>Every one posts their own material and ignores or cannot easily respond to anyone else
>People using their pet 'worlds' as though they're inherently valuable when just as much good material could be conjured on the spot
>Only posts that get responses are questions, which once filled out do not stir any kind of discussion or responses
>rarely even do these threads have good pictures or material to use; mostly just some blurry maps or inspiration monuments/pictures from real life history which is irrelevant to the fantasy worlds they're being used for

These threads are universally terrible. Why do you keep using them?
>>
>>55224567
>Every setting is either generic high fantasy for D&D campaign fluff or is some gonzo weirdness that nobody can use or cares about
There isn't much gonzo weirdness. Mostly it's
>generic stuff
>medieval politics masturbation
>this setting brought to you by [popular videogame/anime] [usually Bloodborne]
People respond to others quite a bit. At least as much as anywhere else, usually more.

All material is conjured on the spot, the difference is somebody wrote that material down.

Pictures/material to use is for dumb people without the requisite imagination to find inspiration by themselves.
>>
File: 1486311415479.png (349KB, 457x610px) Image search: [Google]
1486311415479.png
349KB, 457x610px
>>55219959
Aight, posting my setting's answers:

As my setting spans the whole existance of the Empire of the Tetrarchy I'm going to answer the questions based from the year 1000 after its foundation.
There are a couple in the known world:
The Empire of the Tetrarchy, which is located around the Middle Sea and safeguarded by the ocean to its east and the immense Benga desert to its south..
To its western borders lies the Arsanid Empire which occupies all the territory between the Spine of the Earth in the north, to the Kalfir Desert in the south and the Endless Steppe in the west.
To the south of the Empire of the Tetrarchy and to the south-east of the Arsanid Empire a terribly and impossibly large empire have expanded into the known world from out of the mysterious continent of Zalai.

In the exotic Spice Lands to the west of the Arsanid Empire the newly established Empire of Pradosh competes with the remains of the old Lachji Empire for supremacy over the primary peninsula.

At the absolute western end of the known world lies the Suhwamzeik Soghanate which acts as a speedbump of civilisation against the endless nomadic hordes that spring up from the Endless Steppe.
>>
>>55224567
It's fun, anon. Not everything has to have a point, it's a hobby, not a job.
And, personally, you gain motivation from showing your work to others, even if they rarely respond.
>>
File: Have a (you).jpg (241KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Have a (you).jpg
241KB, 2048x1152px
>>55224567
How dare you accuse this High Qualityâ„¢ [X] General thread of being anything but a valuable addition to the board :^)
>>
>>55225189
Tell me about the Empire of the Tetrarchy. How was it founded? Are the tetrarchs related?
>>
File: 1480994101204.jpg (654KB, 1268x847px) Image search: [Google]
1480994101204.jpg
654KB, 1268x847px
>>55225189

The great but reasonably short lived empire of the "proto-Tyrannians" had an immense impact on the geopolitical situation and culture of the areas surrounding the eastern parts of the Middle Sea and is now a days the go-to setting for any stories taking place in ancient times. It's downfall is usually attributed to its hubris combined with a terrible curse laid upon them when they conquered the last soverign outhold of Unam. It's said that the god's themselves unleashed the Water Giants on the Empire, which resulted in a vast geographical shift and the annihilation of much of the "proto-Tyrannian" realm as the Middle Sea was joined to the ocean. More sceptical scholars hold the opinion that an apocalyptic event consisting of terrible earthquakes and massive tsunamis caused the fall into the sea. However some remains lingered on and after a Dark Age of a couple of centuries the Tyrannian culture was born out of the successor states. These realms took the shape of city states who eventually formed into larger confederacy, loose alliances and the odd kingdom. Due to their great trading fleets and colonisation projects the primary states of Tyrannia retook their position as hegemons over the eastern Middle Sea. The Empire of the Tetrarchy naturally came to be influenced to quite an extent by this culture as tmuch of its early conquests were made up by tyrannian land. Tyrannian culture is now adays celebrated as one of the Three primary cultures of the Empire and a fair few of its emperors sprung from tyrannian stock.
>>
File: 1489726017551.jpg (99KB, 778x824px) Image search: [Google]
1489726017551.jpg
99KB, 778x824px
>>55225279
>Are the tetrarchs related?
I wanted it to be ruled by a tetrachy that represented the divine heavenly tetrachy but the setting evolved away from it. I personally blame cabbages. The empire still worship a Tetrarchy of gods however and the Emperor acts as their earthly steward.
>How was it founded?
It was founded by a confederation of five barborous tribes from the far north that invaded the Nualtan peninsula after fleeing their own homeland. The confederation conquered the local Nualtan Federation and set up shop as its overlords. The imperial timeline starts in that year and specifically on the date of the foundation of the capital city of Nyhem. After a decade or so the local population revolted and a harsh civil war was fought in which the invaders only managed to gain a nominally victory. To entrench the peace mass weddings were held were all of the nobility of the invaders married nualtan wifes and husbands. After that it didn't take many generations for the invaders to become thoroughly nualtanised allthough they still hanged on to some of their olden ways such as their religion which they proclaimed as the only true one.
Let me know if you to know more. I got loads on a cursory level.
>>
File: 1474446341364.jpg (349KB, 917x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1474446341364.jpg
349KB, 917x1200px
>>55225624

The Empire of the Tetrarchy's foreign policy is to a large extent guided by their religious principals of which missionary work is a cornerstone. It's not unheard of for the Empire to send missionaries to a region just to create a later reason for conquest. The defence of the faith is after all one of the primary duties of the emperor. As the earthly steward of the True Gods the imperial seat is claimed to be owed reverance from every living person. Unbelief in the Tetrarchy is not an excuse as all other gods are reflections and/or avatars of the Four. With that being said it also follows that religious tolerance is a large part of the religion as the Gods have shown themselves in incomplete ways to other peoples for a reason.

All in all the empire's foreign policy is however chiefly occupied with the same things that all powerful states are, namely its projection of power and security. A great tool for this is the Divide and Rule strategy that the realm uses on neighboring tribes wherein it meddles with their local affairs in an attempt to maintain the status quo.

Large and unwieldy.
However even a lowly peasant have the right to appeal a decision to a higher authority. In most cases this ends at the local level but in particularly important cases it might make it to the regional, provincal or even imperial level. The emperor is the highest authority in matters of law and many emperors have spent a large portion of their rule in the law court, deciding on cases.

Very, the state have lasted for nearly a millenia as an empire with pretty much no territorial losses. However the size of the realm means that it's unwieldy and it's enemies are slowly becoming more sophisticated.
>>
I want to avoid any sort of opinion on modern politics, just want to make that very clear.

With that said, how homogenous should any given fantasy kingdom be? For example in this extremely small region there is a population of 3 million humans, 1 million orcs, 1 million dwarves, 1 million elves and 700,000 fae. Groups do tend to stick together so there are 4 nations where the majority is humans, another is orcs, one is dwarves and the last is elves and fae. Now there are instances of nations existing on the borders of the more homogenous nations, let's say there's a nation on the borders of the dwarven, orcish, and human border. How homogenous would that nation be, what might the individual race dispersal be?
>>
>>55226765

Well within the 98% range, but they will still be there very rarely and within clusters.

In the same ways Jews were in ghettos in major European cities to act as bankers and the like, fantasy versions of these could come up. You might have Orcs work in the mines due to darkvision + strength, though they live in a human kingdom. While the rulers of the kingdom will heavily favor their own kind, they will not turn away useful goods and services that a small amount of people from another race could bring their kingdom.

Also
>giving exact and specific population numbers
Christ, please stop.
>>
File: Helonde Province Map.jpg (449KB, 1236x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Helonde Province Map.jpg
449KB, 1236x1046px
>>55218722
A territory map showing a rough ICH Habitat areas of influence and supply. The areas between and outside these are technically still under control of the ICH but coherent control begins to break down as the concentration of Helonde soldiers bleeds away.

While the ICH likes to display the reliable military dominance in its territories, the truth is that while well equipped, the ICH has a very much hands-off approach to affairs outside of Habitat influence and would much rather pay mercenaries to make dirty smalltown problems go away lest their nobility get scratched.
>>
File: 1478175195926.jpg (203KB, 907x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1478175195926.jpg
203KB, 907x1200px
>>55226246
>How did/will they fall?
It falls soon after its zenith due to a multitude of combined reasons. Most noteworthy amongst them are civil strife that lead to large scale insurrections in an already dangerously overexpanded empire.
The miltiary resources just became too few to manage when the empire was simultaneously faced with massive rebellions in the eastern Vulture peninsula and the more central province of Sandarmark, large scale insurrections in territories taken in the destruction of the Arsanid Empire in the south-west and an existential threat in the form of a seemingly invincible nomadic horde from the north.
Feeling himself and his people abandoned by the Empire in the struggle against the kamian nomads, as the bulk of the northern forces are busy fighting the fifth reincarnation of Gullveig’s Holy War/insurrection in Sandarmark, the Dux of the north-western legions deserted the state and fled west into former arsanid territory with his troops where he founded the short lived Brighyan Empire.
>>
File: 1478175339653.jpg (1MB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1478175339653.jpg
1MB, 848x1200px
>>55227118

Fleeing in panic from the capital of Nyhem, the High Priestess and Chief Librarian of the Nyhemian Library travels to Gastram, the second city of the empire, where she convinced the governor to abandon the empire in favour of forming a new state - the Republic of Gastram. The new state quickly made a deal with Dor, a powerful kingdom and ancient cultural hegemon in the region that made up the former southern borderland between the Empire of the Tetrachy and the now extinct arsanid Empire. In exchange for handing the tumoultous territories that had pretty much been in constant revolt since their annexation from the arsanid empire over to the Dor a non-aggression pact was made. This allowed the Republic of Gastram to quickly assert control over the region that's traditionally formed the Empire of the Tetrarchy-’s western parts. While this happens the Empire is quickly dissolving as every availible force is sent to the defence of the capital, resulting in the quick loss of the north-east as neighboring kingdoms and tribes take advantage of the situation and invades while the rebelling armies take control over their ancient homelands. Allthough putting up a glorious resistance the imperial forces are beaten at Nyhem and the city is sacked. The emperor himself falls in the struggle to keep the enemy off the walls.
>>
File: 1485895483792.jpg (242KB, 635x800px) Image search: [Google]
1485895483792.jpg
242KB, 635x800px
>>55227130

What then remains of the empire is basically the tyrannian lands in the south-east and the autonomous consular province in the north which have managed to keep itself from falling under the dominion of the kamian nomads who now occupy the whole north-west and much of the central regions of the Empire. The senate of DalKur, the twin cities that together make up the primary city in the tyrannian homeland, quickly appoints a new Emperor who is rejected by the consular province as they maintain that only the senate of Nyhem have the capacity to appoint a new emperor. The DalKurian senate in turn respond with that they, as the primary city in the none occupied parts of the empire are acting in the Nyhemian senate’s stead untill that city can be reconquered and its senate reformed. This claim to authority is however rejected by the consular province. Due to this fundamental disagreement and the geographical isolated from eachother the two surviving parts of the empire soon come to see eachother as two seperate states with colliding interests which is basically the end for the Empire.
>>
Do you guys know any guides or tutorials on PDF formatting?
>>
Anyone here that could tell me a bit about Inkarnate, is it worthwile to use?
>>
>>55227130
What battle is that pic supposed to be depicting?
>>
>>55227205
I have no idea. Wouldn't surprise me if it's just meant to depict a standard ambush.
>>
>>55227237
It looks like it's depicting the Song of Roland, what with the saracens dropping rocks onto a bunch of Frankish knights. But that doesn't look at ALL like the Pass of Roland (I got family that live a short walk from it), and no muslims were involved in the real battle. Goddamn French have no respect for history.
>>
File: aamap.jpg (3MB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
aamap.jpg
3MB, 3300x2550px
>>55227201
Everyone here hates it. I say use whatever works. Just don't act like it took a lot of effort.
>>
>What great empires USED to exist?
The Magnus Concord and its successor, the Olympian Order, were the greatest in terms of size.

Neither were especially successful. The two of them were only able to stick around thanks to divine intervention.

>How did/will they fall?
In the case of the Magnus Concord: serious economic mismanagement, poor leadership and a military coup.
With he Olympian Order: foreign agents infiltrated their government and gave control over it to their motherlands (save for the states that seceded).
>>
>>55227304
Looks more like mongolians to me.
>>
>>55227322
Aight thank you. I've used it a bit and I like the results which is why I don't understand the hate towards it. Works fine for as easy to use-not that complex tool.
>>
>>55227440
>Mongolians
>not being horsefuckers
Nice bait.
>>
>>55227486
>not being horsefuckers
Well you need a cooling off-period in between fucks. Seems like a good time to bash some frankish skulls in.
>>
>>55227354
that is clearly thailand
>>
>>55227667
Shit, I didn't notice.
But I'm okay with it.
>>
File: 1496956100709.jpg (340KB, 720x1056px) Image search: [Google]
1496956100709.jpg
340KB, 720x1056px
>>55203099
Hey anon, I'm super fuckin' late, but think I found what you were looking for.
>>
>>55224567
You know you could make them better by actually discussing things
>>
File: 1483066431523.png (682KB, 995x1148px) Image search: [Google]
1483066431523.png
682KB, 995x1148px
Making a magic system for a story. Would like a little feedback.

>The universe is a shadowplay upon a cave wall
>There is a realm (heaven?) where a flame lights up the true objects that make up reality, casting the shadows
>Shadows are just void until observed/given a name by something
>All intelligent living things have, within their animus/vitae/soul a single flame of their own
>This flame also casts light, albeit in small doses
>People naturally warp reality to suit themselves, though most have no idea that's what fate/luck really is
>Wizards know how to direct this inner light to cast their own shadows on reality
>No permanent effects since you're imposing your will on reality (and you are not infinite)
>Inner flame is directly proportional to one's youth/vigor and charisma (so natural master-apprentice system appears)

Essentially, Plato was right about the whole cave allegory, and use of the Observer Effect and Quantum allows for reality warping. This requires vigor, which is abundant in young mages, and lacking in older ones, requiring older mages to use younger ones as willing mana batteries in return for knowledge and training.

What do people think of such a system? What obvious tricks and shenanigans pop out? What limitations and weaknesses should I add, if any, to make this better for storytelling? Is this novel or tired and cliche?
>>
>>55209924
There would also be an early warning system that attempts to spot danger at a distance. Perhaps a part of the domestic and foreign intelligence apparatus.
>>
>>55230775
some of the inklings wrote fantasy stories that dealt with platonic realism, you should look into that
>>
>>55231841
>inklings
What might those/that be?
>>
>>55230775
I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept, but I can't quite get there.
>>
>>55231914
Anything I can clarify for you?
>>
>>55231882
The Oxford writing group that Tolkein and CS Lewis were in. Did a lot of fantasy.

>>55232020
I'm not sure how the first half leads to the second half. Are people shadows, or is the flame their soul and the shadow their body?
Does a wizard project his flame at a platonic ideal and by manipulating the light he emits, affect the various characteristics of the ideal form?
>>
>>55232423
>Tolkein and CS Lewis
I always forget their group's name. I'll see what I can dredge up.

>Are people shadows, or is the flame their soul and the shadow their body
Yes.

>Does a wizard project his flame at a platonic ideal and by manipulating the light he emits, affect the various characteristics of the ideal form
Something like that. I feel it's more like he alters the characteristics of the shadow cast by projecting his light at an ideal. It can be described as finding the right angle to make a chair project the shadow of a dragon. Obviously a lot harder than making a chair into another type of chair.
>>
So, /wbg/ what diseases does your setting have?

Is there a virus that gives pyrokinesis for a time before the host immolates themselves and spreads the virus through their scattered ashes?

Is there a disorder where the victim can only repeat words spoken to them?

Is there a parasite that steals fragments of peoples souls before using the fragments to create a vessel to be born into the world?

You do have diseases beyond generic plague, don't you?
>>
>>55232571
>Is there a virus that gives pyrokinesis for a time before the host immolates themselves and spreads the virus through their scattered ashes?
I do NOW.
>>
File: late-roman-cavalry-pursuit.jpg (528KB, 2116x1724px) Image search: [Google]
late-roman-cavalry-pursuit.jpg
528KB, 2116x1724px
>>55199127

My inspirations vacillate between more late antiquity to more classical or ancient (bronze age and early iron age) antiquity. One of the great benefits of designing a setting is that you can avoid one of the pitfalls of late antiquity found in Attila TW - too much a preponderance of a single culture/aesthetic/background (Roman) over so much territory. Leaving the choices of international relations to be rather limited and only on the periphery.

If one wants a good, easy to read but still informative take on how/why/where late antiquity differed in classical antiquity in common culture/outlook and lifestyle, Peter Brown's "The World of Late Antiquity" is a good one. It does more than just say 'people became more religious (Christian)' but rather explains how they did, what the ramifications were, how monks, mystics, holy-men were like prizefighters to the common man - able to go toe to toe with the devil and laugh in his face like they with their rosaries and nervous prayers never could. The decay of civic associations and other things.

>>55218722
Make that four who thought it was strangereal.
>>
>>55232571
>You do have diseases beyond generic plague, don't you?
What's a generic plague?
>>
>>55234320
anon probably means bubonic
>>
>>55232571
>Iron God's Curse
An arcane disease that draws iron for the blood, calcium from the bone, and some other materials from tissues, and fuses them roughly in the shape of a sword within victim's body.
The victim normally dies halfway through, though the process continues in the corpse.

It is not easily transmitted. It comes from vapors from stone cauldrons of boiling blood that a vile god left on earth. Animals contract it only rarely, and only specific kinds, and they only carry it, never succumbing.

A notable tribe of barbarians have a rite of passage where two warriors face off with infected daggers and battle is fought until first blood. The winner gets to wield the sword that later forms in loser's body.
>>
>>55232571
I introduced the Green Sickness to explain why some characters died, as the original plan had them dead to make way for civil war. Anyway, it's a nasty illness which kills you after about a week of vomiting and floundering in your own urine.
>>
>>55234902
There's nothing generic about bubonic plague

Pic related:
>Acral necrosis of the nose, the lips, and the fingers and residual ecchymoses over both forearms in a person recovering from bubonic plague that disseminated to the blood and the lungs. At one time, the person's entire body was ecchymotic.
>>
im new to worldbuilding so sorry if im not doing this right
but I have an idea for part of a setting I want to do
in my setting the adwares are your cliche blacksmiths and engineers, who believed that making was their way to worship their god
their king commissioned a forge, that was so well built, it became sentient
the forge became tired of only fulfilling the requests of the dwarves, so it decided to betray them
the forge created a small army of constructs overnight, and massacred the dwarves capital city
and soon the forge's army conquered the majority of dwarven cities
in those invasions most dwarves were either killed or enslaves, only about 1/100 dwarves escaped

also sorry for the formatting and spelling errors if there are any, im really tired right now
so tell me what you think
I've also got some other ideas, like the forge working with witches to give itself a body to rule
and said body needs 10s of thousands of dead humans
>>
>>55235287
Why is it called the Green Sickness?
>>
>>55235392
so pandas were created when some god took pity on bubonic plague victims and turned them into bears to save them?
>>
>>55235433
Pretty much yeah. The chinese actually call it the bear curse.
>>
In the world there's a small xenophobic nation that lives in nigh-impassable mountains near a very important pass and live off robbing travelers and merchant caravans.
Now, the problem is, they are direct descendants of one of the first human nations ever, and see themselves as only true humans, others being basically animals. This raises the problem how the fuck haven't they all inbred into drooling idiot pygmies over the millennia.

Is it conceivable for an extremely xenophobic and supremacist nation to use slave women for reproduction? And how would that affect the position of "pureblood" women? I didn't plan on them being sexist.
>>
>>55236795
Inbreeding doesn't work that way, in order to avoid such issues its needed a certain amount of populace to avoid inbreeding, once that number is reached its fine, the race of said population can be whatever.
>>
>>55236818
I understand, but there are two factors:
1) they were pretty mcuh isolated for at least a thousand years, maybe more. I believe even a large-ish isolated community would inbreed in that length of time.
2) To live off plunder they can't be that large of nation, less that a hundred thousand at most.
>>
>>55236852
Well, from what I saw (it could be wrong) once you had that minimum, it inbreeding wouldn't be a problem, like the japanese but a smaller scale.
>>
I'm trying to decide on an overall aesthetic for my world and it's general technology level. So far in terms of aesthetic, I have:

>Feudal NotJapan Lizard people inhabiting a swamp nation
>Cold, ash covered desert people influenced heavily by Morrowind
>Hogmen based off Native Americans but if they actually got around to building small cities

I kinda wanna add some wild-west flavor with trains and stuff but besides that I'm not sure what would fit. Any ideas/inspiration?
>>
File: Machu Picchu-xlarge.jpg (165KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Machu Picchu-xlarge.jpg
165KB, 1280x800px
>>55237307
Native americans did build small cities though
>>
>>55237307
What kind of story are you trying to tell/game are you trying to run?
>>
>>55237398
I meant more as in North American Indians ie the ones in what's now the United States. Mostly influence from Great Plains Indians but not exclusively.
>>55237406
D&D 5e. The central and most important location (and where most of the adventuring will probably be) is a region known as the Doomscape which is ravaged by magic energy, causing all sorts of magical creatures and mutated things to appear.

I think if I go with the wild west route, everything should end up more campy. The themes seem to fit well since the Doomscape is sort of the "wild west" of the setting, except instead of gold it's magical artifacts and "adventure!" that draws people. I'm not sure on it though and I wanted to see if maybe there was something a bit more interesting I could try. The setting is still in a really early state.
>>
>>55236852
You only need like 2000 people to maintain a stable gene pool.
>>
File: ClimateMap_World.png (330KB, 727x470px) Image search: [Google]
ClimateMap_World.png
330KB, 727x470px
>>55213513
You need to fix where are your equateur and tropics and atfer that you can fixe properly the climate.
After in fonction of the terrain the climate change.
>>
>>55236852

Like the others said, the potential genetic damage due to a small population wouldn't occur even with a 4-digit population. And to be frank, a nation of one hundred thousand people sustaining itself on merchant caravans is preposterous unless 1) the caravans are xboxhueg and very regular or 2) they cultivate crops and raise cattle using stolen seeds and animals. A small population of around 3000 +/- 1k is optimal.
>>
>>55238238
>>55238071
okay, thanks
I need a better sense of scale
>>
>>55232836
My main setting is heavily influenced by late antiquity. I have a hard time finding info about the way the common people lived from day to day
>>
>>55199127
>>55219959
>>55232836
>>55238341

A while ago some anons put together a list of elements and inspirations for a Greek Bronze Age style setting, how about we do the same for Late Antiquity fantasy?

To get the ball rolling;

1. Great empires built upon the bones of civilisations that have come before them stetching back into the mists of time.
2. Those same empires are gradually decaying, exhausted by plague, wars and good old fashioned barbarian incursion.
3. The rise of organised, evangelical religions persecuted or patronised by rulers. Orthodoxy becomes linked with national identity and heretics or infidels suspected traitors.
4. Millenialism, apocalyptic cults and self-proclaimed messiahs abound. Various religions fuse and syncretise in weird ways much to the dismay of orthodox clerics on all sides.
>>
>>55224567
You've stirred the autistic hive because you're right. It's mostly just for people to jerk off to their own setting, they don't care much for actual discussion. The worst of it has to be people who put incoherent crap together because they mistake that for creativity.
>>
>>55235414
Honestly, I just kinda came up with it and the name on the spot without pre-planning. If I had to retroactively justify it, maybe it makes you puke yellow-green bile?
>>
File: 1504371930402.png (380KB, 650x456px) Image search: [Google]
1504371930402.png
380KB, 650x456px
>>55224567
>>55240382
>>
What do you guys think of somebody using a series of biomantic rituals to turn into a now (almost) extinct type of vampire. If it matters the vampires reproduced by turning humans by sharing blood.
>>
>>55224567
I'm just here because I like to fantasy maps. I don't have anything to use them for I just like to make them and see what others have made.
>>
>>55238341
gradually losing their rights as the empires try to preserve themselves with top-down management and shortages of food/labor make agricultural workers an increasingly rare commodity exploited for all they've got

Just remember that the term grimdark was invented to describe a decaying Empire.
>>
>>55238742
5. Seemingly small religious disputes of no real significance leading to large scale civil unrest and long term fracturing of the civic unity.
6. The imperial state's function have devolved into serving the military.
7. Society is now quite hierarchical.
8. The birth of guilds. People are no longer generally free to choose their own employment but follow in their fathers footsteps.
>>
>>55241128
That seems like a prudent rationalisation. Diseases names tend to be derived from the effects they have on the victim. IIRC Yellow fever is called "the black vomit" in spanish for a similar reason and the english term is derived from the jaundice that is a common symptom.
>>
>>55236795
How small is the kingdom? If it's population is something like 100+ non relatives you shouldn't have any problem with inbreeding.
>>
File: spiritemperor.png (106KB, 422x563px) Image search: [Google]
spiritemperor.png
106KB, 422x563px
>>55198908
There have been some prehistoric empires, but there are two particular in recorded history, Zere and Nanka, Zere being downfall of humanity and Nanka still persisting to this day.

Zere started its existence about 3000 years prior to modern day, being founded by tribes habiting the border of Zerean desert. What really hurtled Zere into success was its rapid thaumaturgical and agricultural development and rich resources. The empire persisted for some 500 years, until it collapsed due to unprecedented and wide calamity, killing most of humanity. Humans largely travelled north for asylum, with some heading east instead, traveling island chains to Nanka and exchanging knowledge for citizenship. Draconians, created by the particular thaumaturge hat caused the calamity, fled nort to the mountains, forming their own small kingdoms that would bother surrounding areas for millenia to come.
Zere itself was a rather weak democracy, ruled by empress.

Nanka, on other hand, wasn't much before arrival of Zereans. Their secret knowledge however helped unite the continent, which led to birth of empire that still stands to this day.
Nanka is officially led by an emperor, but the actual lead is a demigod that resides in abandoned temple-city below capital. This is fervously guarded secret, and any nosy mortal is usually quietly dispatched.
Nanka itself has interesting societal structure, decided by sexual morphism at birth (99% citizens are Desw, 1% are humans who havevtheir own caste). There are no families, and younglings are raised by community/state to their roles decided by caste.
>>
I want a complete odd ball of a kingdom, it maintains its eccentricities by being isolated. Sort of like a reward for a party that said "fuck it lets explore this thick great forest" and they get to find this city state that is
>Not very homogenous (humans, elves, orcs, dwarves, etc. living together)
>All female
>Little relevance due to their isolation

Is this in bad taste?
>>
>>55244686
Multiracial feminist society in the wilderness, sounds fun(ny)
Make it reminiscent of 70s-style liberal academia.
>>
>>55244686
also, how do you justify it being diverse and all-female yet isolated?
>>
>>55225200
Highly underrated post, some people just hate FUN
>>
Does working on an alternate-history world count as Worldbuilding?
>>
File: M9W6UWl.png (182KB, 1038x706px) Image search: [Google]
M9W6UWl.png
182KB, 1038x706px
Have fun with this one, anons. Blank map free for use I found recently (person who posted it even said to use it as you saw fit).
>>
>>55247996
Sure.
>>
>>55236795
>how the fuck haven't they all inbred into drooling idiot pygmies over the millennia.
just remove the inbred gene
>>
File: il shen.jpg (280KB, 1038x706px) Image search: [Google]
il shen.jpg
280KB, 1038x706px
>>55249195
The Il'Shen Empire was founded by a religious order fleeing into the desert from persecution. Il'Shen is a Republic, though one dominated by mages. Their guiding principle is the idea that Man and Man alone should rule upon the earth, and that he should end the use of slaves and serfs, instead implementing rigorous enslavement of elementals, demons, djinn, and undesirable non-human races to serve him. They follow the teachings of Shen, a conjurer and philosopher who claimed that man was inherently divine.

While isolationist, Il'Shen has (secretly) made it a main point of its foreign policy to agitate commoners, nobles, and mages alike in other nations to rise up and declare Human Supremacy over the world. They do not advocate for the elimination of non-humans, but they do not see anything in creation as being equal to Man.
>>
So, my setting got your kinda typical vestigal empire, which is basically a collection of fairly independent baronies and counties, that the Emperor (and his secret police) try to make work together (and some outlying regions they even gave up on).

BUT, when shit really hits the fan, the Emperor can call upon some kind of oath or something to make them all, even the completely independent otherwise regions to stop politicking and infighting and go to war as a single country. And pretty much honestly, without trying to backstab each other or chicken out.

How plausible is that? Were Crusades something like that?
>>
>>55252075
>How plausible is that?
This is basically a part of feudalism. The emperor of the HRE and the king of france called upon their vassals in times of need to provide troops. Doesn't mean they all showed up, especially since their is no real legal reason to do that. This was a big problem for the french in the hundred years war. You can make it plausibe to either give them a good reason to swear this oath, though the more this oath is to their detriment, the more plausible is a backstory in which this emperor forced them into it.
>Were Crusades something like that?
Nope.
>>
>>55252075
>>55252192
Something like what this could say, perhaps you could make the setting cesaropapist like me and have lords/knights be the higher spiritial persons, that means that upon breaking an oath and not showing up in the time of need, they could be excominacated or something similar, like the Emperor supporting his rivals into invading and taking lands as punishment or even installing somwhat more agreeable houses on the seats of power.
>>
>>55252075
Your describing pretty much real-world events, so it's very plausible.

>Were Crusades something like that?
Kind of, the Papal states did exist but it was more of a "If your Catholic you'll march on Jerusalem" and well, everybody was Catholic so they jumped at the chance and despite what you've learnt in History class they didn't have to convince people about the glory and riches they'll find their recruiting propaganda consisted of telling people how they're probably going to die and if they survive they'll be returning with little-to-no monetary wealth.
>>
How do you treat your languages, especially inhuman ones?

Do you construct your own languges? Or at least outline the phonetics and faux grammar ("singular nouns shall end in -i, plural in -ir, etc.") to make it all sound coherent?
Or is "all words end in -el or -il" enough to portray elven language to you?

And for humans, do you simply use real-life languages and names? If so, do you think about how languages are related to each other? Do not!English people use Biblical names despite there maybe not being a not!Hebrew culture in the universe?
Or you make up at least rudimentary languages / language evolution and original names derived from it?
>>
Point me at some settings with cool and original divine metaphysics (i.e. origins and relationships between gods)

I want to have many gods without going full Greek Gods, like others do, and I need inspiration/ideas.
>>
>>55252458
I'd recommend checking out how the Gaia-Alaya interaction happens in the Nasuverse, It's basically derived from Shinto but universalized, a quick rundown: In the beginning the gods ruled very similarly to the Greek gods but after a cataclysmic event the gods became unable to manifest themselves as physical entities so they resorted to possessing compatible humans but after a while they even became unable to do that, most became spirits under the servitude of Gaia; the collective unconscious of the world who really fucking hates modern humans, but humanity has a collective unconscious of its own that's in near constant battle with Gaia, most of the time this battle consists of subtle pushes and small scale skirmishes between humans and sprits unless shit hits the fan and then all bets are off and continents get sunk.
>>
>>55198908
/wbg/ I have a quick question about maps.

I'm working on my first 'proper' homebrew setting, and I decided that I wanted my map to have layers. I wanted users to be able to turn certain labels on or off, in future to be able to turn geological features on and off, switch between current and historical setups of the world map, that sort of thing.

Upon looking around, I really couldn't find any service which would do what I wanted. So, I crudely put together some html. Basically it's a bunch of stacked images, altering opacity based on button inputs. Please be kind, it's a draft map that's literally a google docs spreadsheet.

https://knightandmagemap.000webhostapp.com/

So my question is; does a tool already exist to do what I want it to do? Or if it doesn't- is it something that some of you would like to use if given the opportunity? I've a few IT friends, we could put something together.
>>
>>55253358
Damnit there was a program that allowed you to make maps posted in pasts threads, but Im not sure i can find it.
>>
>>55253393
I'm sure there are plenty of ways to make maps with layers. I use paint shop pro, it's all about layers. My point is that there don't seem to be any good/intuitive ways to DISPLAY maps with layers, short of sending someone a bunch of images and having them flick between them. And even then, surely it's no substitute for combinations of layers and labels.
>>
>>55253422
Oh, isee what you mean, i guess there isn't no such thing like that yet, unless photoshop in way.
>>
>>55253422
old good Adobe Flash?
>>
I need justification what a land of highly advanced very long lived people did for several thousand years, that distracted them from expanding and generally acting like a normal people, until they were annihilated by a cataclysm
no, they are not isolated in any real sense. others have trouble coming to them, but they have no trouble traveling
they might have small colonies across the globe, but no real expansion.

I was considering the following
1) Waging war against Hell. Dug too deep, stumbled upon rift to Hell, slapped demons' rumps, pushed in.
2) Building a tower to heavens that acts kinda like Bifrost from MCU to travel to other worlds. But why would they, if they don't even conquer this one?

But while these would consume a lot of manpower and resources, they still can't account why minor factions didn't try to directly expand.
Gimme reasons.
>>
>>55253851
How about they were distracted by hedonism, or intellectualism? Perhaps they became addicted to magical fantasies and dreams. Or perhaps they busied themselves with philosophy, blinding themselves to the point that a cataclysm could take them out.
>>
So guys do you think it's haram to use real world names for characters?
Personally I think it's fine to give your Not!Germans german names, but it's not okay to give them names of, say, latin or jewish origin unless you also have Not!Romans and Not!Jews and they've influenced the culture of Not!Germans in some way.
>>
>>55254019
No, not many people in the table are willing to bother with name creation, especially if its based around a fictional language.
>>
>>55254019
I got this hundred years war setting where everyone is an elf and has spanish names like ricardo, carlos and so on. At first it was weird but I really like it now
>>
>>55246811
>has to be justified
Why?
>>
It has been awhile since I last time lurked these threads, so lets answer some questions.

Thread Question:
Nehrovian Empire is the largest empire on Western Kingdoms with The Fiends and Dragon Kingdoms (both technically not empires) being close second behind Nehrovians.

Arran Empire was once great and huge, but they overextended and slowly degraded away. They are regional power currently, but if they can modernize fast enough they could compete in eastern parts of Western Kingdoms again.

Nehrovians are arrogant, but they have realized their position as first defenders against The Fiends and the Dragon Kingdoms. Due to the appearance of The Fiends, they have managed to make friends and allies with their neighbours against the common threat that is The Fiends.

Minor cases are decided by appropriate local figures of authority, for example village heads, city councils and counts solve a lot of cases. Major cases have precedents and actual law written down. These cases are written down and archived most of the time for future reference.

Nehrovians have been very successful, but The Hundred Years War against The Fiends nearly destroyed them. Only through mobilizing their whole society, they managed to pull themselves through. Now they have faced numerous rebellions and have slowly started to push into the land lost to The Fiends.

Hard Mode:
>How did/will they fall?
Can Nehrovians fall? Yes they can if they fail to keep their friends. Nehrovian Empire is weak and requires foreign help in most things. If they lose their friends, they would most likely lose their positions on their borders and through that their enemies could strike inside their empire. They wouldn't survive another catastrophe.
>>
File: sai_2017-09-06_14-50-09.png (1MB, 1246x934px) Image search: [Google]
sai_2017-09-06_14-50-09.png
1MB, 1246x934px
stretching the coastline out and making a great sea between the habitable coasts, with the high fantasy realm and all the dregs of society being pushed towards the fucked up magical realm side of the nearest continent.

this also makes me want to make the weird offshoot on the southern side of the western continent as some self-sufficient hub of really more high fantasy type shit
>>
File: sai_2017-09-06_15-26-27.png (1MB, 1157x957px) Image search: [Google]
sai_2017-09-06_15-26-27.png
1MB, 1157x957px
>>55198908
Sorry for double posting, I'm just excited to be mostly done moving

something like this, but I'm still fucking with the borders exactly but think of the red as the proper empire, and the orange sections are just there to signify areas that exist almost entirely dependent on the red empire maintaining general peace across the continent, but they've all got some kind of niche that makes them able to exist outside separately from the red empire

The red empire, but when it spanned the whole continent

In the upper class areas around the capitols its "If we can get money out of them, we'll try, but they can stay the fuck across the ocean and if they come here they better not touch our women."
In peasant land where foreigners are often present because there isn't any time for snobbishness its "at least they aren't taxing us to death, plus that big green son of a bitch can work the shit out of a plow, and he scares off the bandits"

courts for white collar crime, that you can buy with status and money
knights for smacking peasants back in line and settling minor disputes by punishing both parties and issuing them both fines

Incredibly, even though they're in decline they've been holding steady for the last four or five hundred years with no sign of slowing down.
Before that the dynasty held the continent in an iron grip for thousands of years.
Or at least thats what is taught, everyone agrees that while a single bloodline has ruled the majority of the continent for thousands of years, their grasp has been slipping for far more than the 500 years its been since they started shrinking.
Not that its wise to point that out in more than a hushed whisper.
>>
>>55257697
>>55258387
Yo ringanon, welcome back.
>>
>>55235228
Must be some tiny swords.

Males of average height have about 4 grams of iron in their body, females about 3.5 grams; children will usually have 3 grams or less. These 3-4 grams are distributed throughout the body in hemoglobin, tissues, muscles, bone marrow, blood proteins, enzymes, ferritin, hemosiderin, and transport in plasma.
>>
File: Thracian.jpg (98KB, 700x710px) Image search: [Google]
Thracian.jpg
98KB, 700x710px
>>55257621 Continuing

>>55199127
I have tried to have antiquity, pre-13th century inspiration in the world, but I have pushed the timeline forward to approx 15th C. Nehrovians are the most advanced and as distance grows the technology level drops. Pic related, Truskovite warrior in lighter than usual armour with their usual two handed blade.

>>55207460
Arrans have Arran the thatcher who lead his tribe for some time and decided to stay in the now central Arran land. After him the nation and the City of Arran was named.

Johan Highstream founded the Kingdom of Highstream and his family has been on and off the power for 3000 years.

Karlinmen in turn founded Order of Almighty Father, which is the largest military order in the north and regional power that can project power abroad easily thanks to their knights.

>>55224567
For fun anon, for fun

>>55232571
I have all the diseases we have IRL and few slightly magical that usually effect magic users only. Boring stuff

>>55257697
That is one very beautiful map, I really like it. Is the ring magical or natural origin?
>>
>>55253422
Gifs
>>
>>55258527
bbboi its good to be back

>>55258704
magical, a bunch of wizards were wizarding it up in what used to be a really nice city, and they ended up accidentally a quarter of the continent and innumerable lives.

it was the start of everyone questioning magic, and why almost everything is low fantasy now
>>
>>55258799
Sounds like delightful turn of event. I bet there was witch hunts and quite large number of dead wizards with magic teaching becoming very conservative. In turn I bet there are more extreme magic users that see the more careful low magic as stupid thing.
>>
>>55258862
basically, yeah.

people try to keep wizards from gaining too many numbers because they always start trying to create some kind of wizard utopia, or something more aggressive like bands of pissed sorcerers just fucking up countrysides.
>>
>>55207795
Have a switch that shunts the whole hangar into extra dimensional space, preventing take off.

Not strictly a security system, but if you have unions/guilds you could have any engineering-y tools carried into the hangar come to life and complain loudly (unless you're carrying a union card or whatever, gotta keep out the scabs).

Bound spirits which attempt to possess intruders and cause them to turn themselves in.
>>
>>55208375
Why not just sea serpents?
>>
What are some good things to think about when creating and working on an archipelago part of a setting?
Are there any good settings that where an archipelago plays a very important part? Other than the Odyssey, I guess.
>>
>>55198908
The Maëvian Empire, a maritime super power which was the first to use the remnants of cristalin and blood stored magic left by the "Ofr" when their empire collapsed.

There was an Empire of dimensional travelers with lot of magic. They called themselves the "Ofr", translated as the "Wonders".

Agressive protectionism, because their expansion was stopped in the East by a notmongols!Orcs and by the West by another superpower which started to develop ironclad technology to wage war.

Allegiance to the Empress is mandatory and will grant you citizenship after servicing in the Eastern Towers or on different Shipyard and Ships in the West. If you don't pledge allegiance, you are a foreigner with less right than citizens.
Slavery is enforced on foreigners in the lower part of the Maëvian Capital, Kry. There, slaves are used to farm shrooms and mine precious ores.

The Maëve Empire is stalling between two enemies and don't seem to find a solution. Revolts among slaves along side foreigners are starting to grind the cog of political power, alongside infighting breed by the rumor that the Empress is sterile.

>How did/will they fall?
Ofr Empire : Infighting and being cut of from the major magic source created a "Magic Mad Max", where every "Ofr" was fighting for little bits of magic (which when scaled to players, have a lot of power).
Maëve : Nobles backing up rebellion in the lower parts of the Capital will take upon the throne and begin a sort of "Robert Pierres" revolution like.

Maëvian are full of pride and love riches. Some old woman tales tells that a Baronness drowned because her boat couldn't handle the gold plated on it.
Ofr are represented by gluttony. They gorges themselves on Magic.
>>
>>55260583
what's your first language?
>>
>>55260672
Sorry, frog eater there, I should've proof read it more thoroughly.
>>
>>55260888
patrick b8man
>>
>>55206808
Check out ashigaru, japan's already done it.
>>
>>55206808
What do you mean by a soldier but not a warrior caste?
Are you simply refering to mercenaries and people's whose occupation is soldiering?
>>
>>55237829
Look up Mississippi Valley civilization for north american indian cities.
>>
>>55206808
I don't see why not, such things existed in reality
>>
>>55262148
More like the difference between the warrior nobility who command troops, like... samurai. While a soldier would be the grunts, like ashigaru. Like a knight and a yeoman.
>>
I have a setting that basically runs like a 1920's Xmen. I had the idea for an NPC that can fire a gun, but cause the bullets to travel forward in time a few seconds to a few days. Not sure what sort of limitations or restrictions I should impose since the original concept seems hard to beat. He would have low-key future-sight to take advantage of this ability as well.
>>
>>55264129
So basically a class of people who are obligated to serve in the military, but that lack the romantic relationship to warfare and status of the state sponsored warrior? Or am I missing something? Is warfare perhaps only a partial responsibility of the class?
>>
Centaurs are cool.

Because fuck you, that's why.
>>
>>55266656
I'm more interested in that tree.
>>
>>55266679
Which one?
>>
>>55266732
The one on the left.
>>
>>55266752
THAT'S the one you find interesting?
>>
>>55266823
Scorpion tree with spear-squirrel-ladder and a hole > tree with arms and a face
>>
>>55266864
>tree with arms and a face
AND a sick tattoo.
>>
>>55266656
I have bactrian cameltaurs, camel centaurs
>>
>>55258648
its mixed with calcium. and magic.

duh.
>>
Can there still be war, and politics in a setting that's more points of light?
>>
>>55269043
What?
>>
>>55269049
You know, points of light. Instead of having every village, barn, and everything between two major cities its just the interesting places spread out around the globe. Like a JRPG's world map from the SNES era.
>>
>>55269043
Of course, there's plenty of places on earth like that, some of which regularly have military coups, crazy dictators employing ultra-post-modernist re-election campaigns, in-fighting between spirit-summoning cults, etc, you might have heard it: Russia.
>>
>>55269223
>Russia
>light
Well I meant like war between two countries, not war with oneself.
>>
>>55269116
Well, I guess you could design a game pretty much like that then.
>>
>>55266864
>>55266656
as a matter of fact, i'm stealing scorpion trees for my setting
>>
File: Late Roman Calvaryman.jpg (91KB, 665x640px) Image search: [Google]
Late Roman Calvaryman.jpg
91KB, 665x640px
>>55198908

The Orianan Empire, the successor and third iteration of the Amaran Empires. It currently holds the strongest military and navy in the known world. Its people are traditional in the ways of their ancestors. However, their claim of territory is not as large in comparison to its predecessor.

The First and Second Amaran Empires. The first was a smaller collection of city-states ruled by an Imperator. But then it turned into a Republic after a costly war. After a few hundred years later, the Second Amaran Empire rose up from the republic, expanded around the coast of the sea, and then broke apart during The Fall.

The Orianan Empire are on bad terms with the rest of the kingdoms of the south. They rarely trade with their southern brethren, the Vilmaris Republic.

Judges are appointed by Governors of Orianan city-states, who create laws and sentence criminals to jail or slavery. Federal laws are approved through the Imperial Senate and the Emperor. Meanwhile, the local Civil Guards maintain order in all the cities.

The Orianan Empire is surviving pretty well in comparison to the world. Because of their tight border patrols, the barbarian hordes haven't been able to wreak havoc unlike some of the other unfortunate settlements outside of their reach.
>>
The BBEG (ugh) of my setting is an orcish warlord about to overrun the not!Romans with his barbarian hordes, and he's a tactical genius unlike anything the world has ever seen. Plot twist: this "brilliant" orc is actually an ordinary warlord possessed by a demon.

My question is how to give this away without specifically stating it. I want some quirks or hints that make possession very clear without spelling it out. The closest I can think of is the host sometimes regaining mastery of his body and actively trying to fight against the occupant, but that could lead to a very silly Smeagol/Gollum thing. What are some other things that could be dead givaways while still retaining the pretense of subtlety?
>>
>>55271743
Have this guy have a family but not care about them, perhaps some people of his own have noticed that he "changed" and became "another person", thats pretty much what I did and that was basically ripping off FFT
>>
>>55269249
Isn't the whole deal with PoL that there aren't really countries? Just various communities separated by inhospitable zones?

Just pretend they're Greek city states. Those fought all the time.
>>
File: BPRD_1.png (49KB, 452x181px) Image search: [Google]
BPRD_1.png
49KB, 452x181px
>>55198908
How do I do kitchen sink Urban fantasy where all religions/folklores/ and some straight up fictional stuff is all equally true and untrue? Kinda like Hellboy or Shadowrun but without magic being a known thing in the world?
>>
I was thinking about language and names today. Many names in a language are derived from words in the language, sometimes just being actual words. If the culture is speaking a fictional language, how would you deal with that? Give people names that sound normal to people in the real world so they understand the meaning, or give the fictional name and say what it means?
>>
>>55272521
Similarly to how our names today work: based on older formes of the languages or other, also old languages. Of course this only works in your setting if time has progressed long enough for changes like this to happen.
Though
>Give people names that sound normal to people in the real world so they understand the meaning
Is an easy option, nobody, on the table or in your writing, will talk in that language.
>>
>>55272613
>Give people names that sound normal to people in the real world so they understand the meaning
>Is an easy option, nobody, on the table or in your writing, will talk in that language.
though it can have a few backfires.

It's hard to take King Bob, Ruler of the Seven Realms seriously.
>>
>>55273106
bob is just short for robert, also charlemagne, he is just carl, any carl, but was called calr the big guy
>>
>carl the big guy
>>55273122
>>55273122
>>55273122
>>55273122
>>
>>55272613
But many of these names haven't really changed, and are still easily recognizable to someone. I'm only going to list some examples.

First names:
Joy, Holly, River, Forest, Raven, Ash, Garret, Sky, Meadow, Violet, Rose, Hunter, Jade, Pearl

Last names:
Occupation (Skinner, Taylor, Fisher, Cook, Smith, King, Fletcher, Walker)
Colors (Black, Brown)
Locations/Things (Hill, Castle, Burch, Woods, Townsend
>>
>>55270528
What is The Fall and why did it cause Second Amaran Empire to break?

And how many different barbarian hordes are there outside their borders and how many of them are there?
>>
>>55273263
That really depends, english isn't my native language and where I live most names are not that easily recognizable, even of the native tongue. My pretty common prename is from a different culture altogether that only people with a classic education could trace back etymologically. Surnames are rather recent, so it's easier to get their meaning.

The general idea of this works and is easily justifiable in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>55273263
Oh don't forget some names will ad suffixes to denote status.
for example, many Scandinavian names will have -son added to the end of the word to denote that this person is the bastard son of -.
>>
>>55273429
>added to the end of the word to denote that this person is the bastard son of -
so what does that mean if someone's last name is Bastardson?
>>
>>55198908

Two major Factions. The Phoenix Republic and the Greschen Empire
The Phoenix Republic is a Hierarchical Republic, with Hints of Socialist Principles. A heavily collectivist society where the Greater Good is often used as a citation for their actions
The Greschen Empire is Stratocratic Meritocracy, a alliance of many so-called "Warrior-Kingdoms". where military might rules the day

The setting takes place in a Post-Post apocalypse of our own world. Both factions exist on the North American Continent. So I guess the USA/Canada would be the closest thing to a fallen empire

Both Factions have an Expansionist mindset, each trying to claim as much land as possible. This is the main source of conflict between the two factions, they often end up stepping on each others toes.

While the Greschen Empire officially respects others claims to land, It's highly segmented nature means that many sub-factions under Greschen allegiance may attempt to take land to earn favour. However, the Meritocratic nature means that if a Faction dominates a weak enemy, such as Peasant Farmers, they may actually lose favour as a whole, as a weak enemy is seen as not worth fighting.

The Phoenix Republic has a Collective, "Ends Justify the Means" mentality, often leading to Subjugation of lands, no matter the opinion of anyone else. If they think a morally questionable act will in some way be ultimately good, they will stop at nothing to achieve it their goals, no matter the costs.

Both are successful in their own rights, with each of their borders containing a number of old-world states. They are both self-sufficient, requiring no trade, and as such see each other more as obstacles to each others success rather than any sort of Neighbour. Both operate advanced Military technology and have sizeable armies.
>>
Need ideas for a south american coalition flag.
>>
>>55275814
On what context?
>>
>>55275814
Considering there are twelve sovereign countries in South America, then maybe a ring of twelve stars or a sun with twelve rays?
>>
File: Map.jpg (688KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
688KB, 1024x768px
I'm having tremendous trouble designing a map for my setting. Pic related is my second iteration, and I like it in general, but seems so small and empty. I've tried communicating the general level of habitation, with plenty of open, empty spaces for adventures to happen in, but nothing feels right. What's the secret to a good map that communicates the size of a continent, as this should be? Or is it just me whose too familiar with the world? Does it seem bigger to people who don't know it at all? Should I scrap it and start again, add in more environments?
>>
>>55277091
The map seems pretty small. I don't know why there's so much desert and how there's barely any distance between desert and polar region. If all else fails you could add a distance scale.

Also, is everything in the bottom half uninhabited? How much do people know about the world?
>>
>>55277420
There's actually supposed to be a pretty vast distance between the icy highlands and 'desert', which isn't a true desert, it used to be more plains, forests, steppes and mountains before an 'age of storms' completely and utterly turned it to dust. There are only scant ruins and such left. Everything else was washed away far, far underground. No one lives there, but people like to go explore what ruins are possible to get to. It's meant to be vast and weird.

The little village icons are meant to indicate areas of general habitation, they just mean 'there's towns and villages around here'. Some might be a mile away, some might be several day's ride away. People have a fair knowledge of their immediate world, but beyond their own bounds, very little. People in the north know a little about that black spot, but nothing about the orc tribes in the big green steppes below. Likewise, the steppe people know about the vast forest, but nothing about the wealth of dungeons and ruins in the west. Everybody knows there's stuff in the wastes, but not much.

It's very much a world of high adventure, lots of stuff to delve into and explore, lots of locals who know a little but not too much, that kind of thing.
>>
>>55277697
If that's the case, I'm unsure how useful this map is. If no one knows much about the world, how do they have a map, and why would they need it if they don't go anywhere?

If it's for the audience, you should decide on a reference point of when the map was drawn, and how much information it gives them.
>>
>>55277846
It would be more for the audience, and me, I guess. Maybe I need to rethink this, I just like have a good visual representation of my world, but it's tricky to get right.
>>
>>55198908
the Gazari Confederation sits atop vital trade routes, earning much wealth and leisure from its cosmopolitan positioning, Though only semi-settled at best, and more a collection of interrelated tribes than a true coherent empire, the Gazari have developed a sophisticated Diarchical system.
The sacred Blue King commands a true-blooded riders of the traditional nomadic heartlands. Completely hereditary, the Blue King is seen as the intercessor and bridge between the supernatural and the Gazari-whether that's according to local shamanistic animism or the many newer pantheons that have been adopted. Contact and exposure to the Blue King is tightly controlled by ritual and ceremony, and by the landowning royal clans that dominate his court. That is not to say that his is a mere sacred cow or puppet, the word of the Blue King is highly regarded and in effect he is the highest judge and magistrate in the Confederation. When foreigners are allowed into his prescence much is made of the grandeur and power of the Blue Throne, in fairly successful efforts to completely rip off the traders that come to Gazaria.
The Blue King's co-monarch is the Red King, who far from sacred is considered somewhat "tainted" by getting dirty in the outside world and by his extremely martial character. the Red King commands the Confederation in war and in most of the disposition of barbarian slaves, usurers, and tributaries (which is to say all barbarians). Technically open to all freemen of the Gazari, the election by popular acclaim and good omen is mostly a contest between the various warlords who own their tribe's soothsayers and voting blocks. Though often a dynamic and glorious rank, it can also invite conflict within the Confederation.
The Red King is forbidden from making his child the next king, and must strip himself of weapons and kowtow before the Blue King, but in time successive Red Kings will simply crown themselves and begin civil strife that dooms the Gazari.
>>
File: bob.jpg (972KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bob.jpg
972KB, 1920x1080px
What's the best way of designing noble families?

The method of making a bunch of coats of arms and then making family stories/characters that the charges on the arms are metaphors for seems effective, but is it a bad cliche at this point? It's pretty much all over the place thanks to GRRM. It's a cool storytelling mechanism and coats of arms are good memory tools for readers, but real life nobility often had super complex designs more than just "grey wolf on white" or "yellow lion on red"
>>
>>55257697
I'm really glad you got rid of the brown-black swirl in the water
>>
>>55279412
Ignore the hack and look elsewhere for how to do coats of arms.

I remember one of the Discworld Watch books (Men at Arms, probably) had a nice aside on the subject when Vimes was forced to have his own created or resurrected. It's been ages since I've read it, though
>>
>>55278110
If it works for you then that's what matters. But thinking from the perspective of the people in the world, their view of the world would likely be something like "here's everything we can see on the horizon from this town." Not much to put on a map.
>>
Really at a crossroads here. I'm torn between two directions regarding my humans. On one hand, I want to go to the WHFB route and base my human nations off of real ones but amp up the fantasy factor a bit so it's not a carbon copy. On the other hand, I kind of want to go the LotR route ala Gondor and create fantasy human kingdoms that barely resemble real world nations outside of a handful of historical influences.

I really want to go for something similar to Warhammer Fantasy/The Witcher in terms of feel. Fantasy but also grounded a bit in reality. But then I think that's boring and that I should aim for something less recognizable. Really can't decide which direction I want to go.
>>
>>55279412
I had fun turning the dudes at my old job into feuding lords
Incorporated some of their actual politics between one another
>>
>>55281715
Why not both? the more weird kingdoms could be nations from othercontinentswhile, perhaps they had the influence of non human things or something.

>>55279412
Well, most contries have different rules on heraldry,given there are no major standization on middle ages, i'd say just do what you feel like.
>>
Sci-Fi setting being a cross of Star Trek, Star Wars, Mass Effect, Gundam and over-the-top anime tropes with a healthy dose of noblebright added.

Worth it?
>>
>>55282996
Sure, its just entertainment in the end.
>>
How much of a lazy cop-out is resorting to medieval-style maps - i.e. full of wrong proportions, inexact measurements, fictional places, country of origin being bigger/better detailed than neighbours, foreign countries being marked as "here be foreigners", even though they have their own maps, etc.?

since both in Inkarnate and on paper I'm forced to do world map in little bits, to preserve detalization, I thought it might save me the hassle of trying to have everything match AND provide a cool medieval aesthetic

what do you thing?
>>
>>55286903
I don't it is a cop out, frankly a medieval map in a medieval game that is not hyper accurate birds eye sounds good.
>>
File: IMG_1573.jpg (132KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1573.jpg
132KB, 500x706px
Hey lads,
Any thoughts on Theocracies? I'm building my first one and I'd love to hear people's opinions on it.
I think the aversion most people have to it seems rooted in post enlightment thought, but I think it's a solid alternative to feudalism and republicanism for a premodern setting.
>>
>>55288173
There is nothing wrong with theocracies and I dare anyone saying otherwise.
>>
>>55288173
Well, my setting has nations that both monarchies and theocracies, now that I think about it, the separation of church and state is rare on my setting.
>>
>>55288173
First question one must ask before making theocracy is that "if there are actual God/gods" if yes, then it's ok. Of course, THEOcracy>>>TheoIcracy all the way.
Then, one must have to choose between four modes of operation. First is clasical jewish one, i.e. there is one or few that actualy comunicates with God/gods and act like mediators to general population and ruling class. Second is muslim one i.e. there is a setted divine book or something and there is no way against it but only alongsaide it. There is no novelity in understunding whatsover nor change in discipline. Thrid one is modern jewish/protestant i.e. God/gods have nothing to do with them but they actually think that He/them do and even if He/them tells them time after time "guys, stop it, get some help" they would rather listen to themselves than to deity.
Fourth is catholic/apostolic i.e. God/gods setted some kind of insitution/congregation to espress his/thier will upon mortal relam and acutualy comunicates time to time with them and generally have his/thier providence upon siad church.
And of course, you must decide if religion is a priori or a posterior (later is better of course).
>>
>>55288344
Oh there are actually fifth mode. It's mythich i.e. God/gods actually are here on Earth and don't need any humans to rule.
>>
>>55288344
>>55288369
Thats actually pretty interesting, I guess mine is the fifth, but while they are higher rulers, they still have mortals serving as vassals and shit.
>>
>>55288344
Solid breakdown. Mine is type 4.
I like to keep it close to real life where there's lots of ambiguity on whether the gods are out there. Once they're out in the open everyone who isn't a theocracy is just daft/stubborn.
>>
>>55208375
Obviously a giant squid or aboleth or something like that
>>
Any idea on what sort of abilities fragarach may have?
>>
>>55288658
What system?
>>
>>55288926
Dresden Files Fate but the mechanics don't matter as much as the idea. I have it binding and forcing answers, cutting through all forms of protection (at a cost), and having the potential to control winds.
>>
>>55289106
Based off of what I can get from Wikipedia, it could also cause crippling or unhealing injuries ("had a piercing wound from which no man could recover"), but I think you have most of the original abilities covered.
>>
>>55289247
In the system the armor negation covers that to some degree. It negates all recovery enhancements as well. I figure making the wound permanent would be a bit problematic.
>>
>>55288344
I'm confused, your example for the second mode used Islam, but historically Islamic jurisprudence and theology operated more like your first mode with Quran scholars, judges, and notables of the town acting more like a Jewish rabbi then anything. Even the Caliphs were more like the Holy Roman Emperor choosing which Bishops he likes than "beep-boop must enforce THE LAW for we are Djinn of the smokeless fire"
>>
>>55279483
the water detail layer was just turned off, its still there

any reason in particular you dont like it?
>>
>>55288173
Make them reasonable authority figures to fuck with your players. I don't run evil theocracies typically, but my players never seem to believe it.
>>
I'd like to design a massive dungeon complex made up by multiple distincts areas as you go further down. It's for a "there's this big city built around a big labyrinth that is yet unexplored, adventurers flock there aiming for fame and riches" sort of campaign.
Other than the idea of the creatures inside and the landscape getting weirder as you go deeper into it, I don't really know what sort of themes I could give the layers (or how many to make) or what critters to use. The first layer would be the catacombs of the city, mostly inhabited by giant rats and the like.
The dungeon itself would be a magical reactor, a device made to gather magic power from dying animals (and adventurers, although it probably wasn't intended that way) to power large-scale magic contraptions and massive spells.
Any advice or prompts I could get started with?
>>
>>55198908
A big human kingdom,
Largest single power, generally chill and seeks gradual, reasonable expansion. In a bit of a depression.
World Policey, infested with capitalist jews, next in line for the royal throne is sick of some of the shit she sees, and is probably going to start a revolution when her dad dies. Will probably partially collapse in the aftermath.

a pair of feuding elven kingdoms.
One Magocracy, one Theocracy. One believes the world was set up by gods and fucked by ancient wizards, one believes the world was set up by ancient wizards and fucked by gods. Both are right.

Not really a kingdom, but a coalition of most major dwarven civilizations.
Determined to collect ancient knowledge, and general doomsayers, convinced something bad is around. Seek world preparedness, but most people think they are taking bullshit their ancestors wrote down too seriously. It doesn't help that primitive dwarves were ass at engraving; modern scholars still have a hard time figuring out if that one is a picture of a coronation ceremony, a year's harvest ruined by storms, or headless godzilla rampaging around Dwarf Tokyo. All three are right.

>>What great empires USED to exist
Ancient, super awesome magocracy that everyone loved and almost destroyed the world. Responsible for most of the shit wrong with the world currently.
Destroyed while trying to unfuck the world.

Ancient (er) union of various old magic users. Responsible forunfucking the world, then kind of lost relevance.
Uninspired, warmongering race of super-ancient super-beings that showed up one day, turned the planet into a military base, then fucked off. The real reason the world is as fucked as it is, the ancient magocracy just found some of their toys.
Fucked off one day, nobody knows why, or even remembers they exist. Only some shitty MS-paint tier depictions in the oldest dwarven record halls most people think are just bad drawings of cats or something exist.
>>
File: New_Survey_Corps_members.png (764KB, 924x520px) Image search: [Google]
New_Survey_Corps_members.png
764KB, 924x520px
I'm having trouble coming up with a fantasy salute for my fantasy empire. Can I get some help?
>>
File: spaceballs.gif (488KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
spaceballs.gif
488KB, 300x200px
>>55296153
>>
>>55296153
Just use that one. Your players (assuming this is for a game) won't care.
>>
File: Clinton Roman Salute.jpg (229KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Clinton Roman Salute.jpg
229KB, 1200x800px
>>55296153
Can't go wrong with the based Roman salute.
>>
>>55296153
Gods that's an awkward salute

>"What should the salute look like?"
>"You ever see those guys with the one shrunken arm clenched at a funny angle?"
>>
Pre-gun powder ages, would navies employ pirate fleets to directly assault or harass enemy ships and merchants?
>>
>>55296702
Privateers have existed since before the renaissance, I think
>>
>>55292256
It's just sort of off-putting. It looks more like trash or sewage than anything else. I think maybe another color or shade of color would look better personally
>>
>>55296702
Xerxes hired the pirate queen Artemisia of Caria to fuck up the Greeks for him.
>>
File: Babylon.jpg (166KB, 1279x804px) Image search: [Google]
Babylon.jpg
166KB, 1279x804px
/wbg/ do you find it better to put a lot of worldbuilding into a huge, well, 'world' or do you find better success when you keep the scope small and focus inon a few places
>>
>>55297585
I'm addicted to fullworldbuilding, no matter how it ruins my games.
>>
New thread?
>>
>>55298960
make it, for some reason 4chanx won't lemme do it.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.