[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D 5e Long Rest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: COATta6UYAAPtGp.jpg-large.jpg (30KB, 699x430px) Image search: [Google]
COATta6UYAAPtGp.jpg-large.jpg
30KB, 699x430px
Does it make sense to let the party take more than one Long Rest in 24 hours? Because it would be realistic?

The situation is they slept in and Long Rested until 2 PM. They fought a tournament match, and went home. After they went home that evening, they got into some more fights. Now it's like 9 PM, and they have another tournament match that morning around 8 AM. If they go to sleep at midnight or before, it hasn't been 24 hours since the 2 PM they finished their last Long Rest.

So because they can't get Long Rest benefits until 24 hours have passed, they'd go into the next tournament match with all their resources spent. A challenge like that was kind of my intent, but on the other hand, it seems strange that if you're tired and need to sleep, somehow that rest doesn't fix you up just because you didn't force yourself to stay up another several hours.
>>
>>55198404
>realistic
Ugh.
>>
>>55198464
It's either that or have a really absurd situation where they sit around doing nothing for literally 12 hours but somehow that doesn't mean anything to get rested.
>>
>>55198404
Take it on a case by case basis. In the tournament setting, they're probably not going to be running into any trouble outside of a controlled environment, and, if they're competing, there'd likely be resources to keep the combatants in top shape between matches.

In a dungeon, there could be monsters at every turn, they're likely hungry, meaning they need to set up a fire and such. I highly doubt they'd be able to find to completely rest, between looking for traps, keeping watch, translating the ancient runes on the wall, maintaining their equipment, etc.

Again, it depends.
>>
>>55198404
There's a difference between weary tired and sleepy tired. It's entirely possible for your muscles and mind to be spent but you're unable to fall asleep because your body just isn't ready for it.
>>
>>55198535
Well, putting sleep aside, let's say their match is at 8 AM, and they settle down at 8 PM to rest and relax all the way until 8 AM. 12 hours. Their last Long Rest ended at 2 PM that day, so by RAW, they shouldn't be able to get anything back until 2 PM the following day -- after their tournament match is already over.

Does it make sense that chilling for 12 hours does nothing, or should I stick to that and force them to go through the match without the benefits?
>>
>>55198404
Per the rules you can only gain the mechanical benefits of a long rest once per 24 hours.

But some other things to note:
- You don't have to sleep during a long rest and you don't have to long rest when you sleep.
- You can go to bed for the night even if you took a long rest earlier in the day.
- A short rest can be as long as they decide to rest, past the minimum amount of time.
- Every class gets at least some things back on a short rest.
- You're the DM and you can give them another long rest if you want.
>>
>>55198404
Technically you could take 3 long rests in a day. It's called taking a day off.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.