[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Turning Point

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 3

File: pikachu outfit.jpg (294KB, 1426x2048px) Image search: [Google]
pikachu outfit.jpg
294KB, 1426x2048px
I had a really weird quality-whiplash with a game recently. Thought I'd tell you guys about it. Share your turning point in quality / GM cutscene stories.

So, it was Shadowrun. On the RunnerHub specifically, a living world kinda thing where GMs post jobs and strangers meet up on roll20/discord and play.

So, the run itself was signposted repeatedly with "disturbing content" warnings, and the GM spent a solid 5 minutes going over this again at the start

It started out really solid, lots of great imagery and roleplay all around, some good physical legwork (we had no Decker), classic Noir kinda case to find a missing girl, find a "den of evil" and kill the man behind the disappearances, a high-ranking bishop. So far so good.

Eventually we end up at this club. We find out it's being run by the bishop's cultists, and there are secret rooms all around the back that are heavily guarded.

We figure this is the den of evil, and so we start formulating a plan to bag-and-tag one of the cultists when he goes out for a smoke, and get him to spill his guts.

Now, right as we begin to plan out how to kidnap this guy, the GM (and this is 5.5 hours into a 6 hour run) says "Suddenly, you realise that the stealth tag you planted on the Bishop's car is moving! He's in the barrens, about an hour and a half away."

We figure, hey, he wants to move along to his epic conclusion because we took too long on the legwork and it's 1am for most of us. So we ditch the cultist plan and roll up at this guy's cabin in the woods, armed to the teeth.

There's a watcher spirit, which the only summoner in the party fights. The GM rules that we can't pick the lock on the door during this fight, so everyone else is silent for 15 minutes while the GM and the shaman roll the same attack and dodge rolls back and forth.

Finally! Time for the medic and the face to pick that lock. But, wait! We hear a man's voice behind us. We turn around, fully armed, and (and this is the turning point) 1/2
>>
File: Rdr_strange_man.jpg (55KB, 686x686px) Image search: [Google]
Rdr_strange_man.jpg
55KB, 686x686px
>>55197288
...it's "a pale man in a neat, dark suit". The GM says "you can shoot him before he speaks" but there's no in-character reason for any of us to do so. Without rolling initiative (or we did and he had a higher minimum than our maximums anyway, I don't remember, either way it was pointless), he casts a "Force 10 Control Actions" spell and yells "SUBMIT!" We attempt to resist and fail because it's extremely strong, at which point the GM says "oh, you have minus 10 dice to your pool to shake it off", which puts us all completely unable to move, indefinitely.

The GM would later mention that this was incorrect interpretation of the rules on his part, and that we should not have had minus ten at all.

Anyway, so he ties us up, and then we hear the Bishop's voice say, and I'm not joking, "Good work... LUCIFER. Hahahaha!", followed by in a classic growling demon voice "YES, MY LORD."

There's a pause and then the GM says, "there will now be a ten minute intermission".

So, we all wake up in separate rooms. The mage is first; he attempts to cast a spell and we hear the GM go "oh, right, you... feel a powerful electric shock as the mage shackles detect the use of magic, you take 12 stun damage" which immediately knocks him out.

The face is next - Lucifer growls along the lines of "God won't help you here, pretty boy" and begins carving off the face's ear. "You take 6 physical damage, and your left ear is permanently mutilated"

Face: "Oh."

next up is the cat mage, who had no combat spells and was designed for sneaking around as a magical burglar and stealing high-value packages. Cool guy, not sure why he came on a wetwork run. Whatever. "You take 9 physical damage as Lucifer spends an hour torturing you in horrible ways with a knife".
Essentially the same deal for the medic, only he was also told that "your dog is dead" 2/3
>>
File: standing-7.jpg (51KB, 680x544px) Image search: [Google]
standing-7.jpg
51KB, 680x544px
>>55197405
3/3 this dude made the dog at character creation and its tracking/hunting abilities were important additions to his build. It had a name and a back story. No rolls, no reasoning, just "your dog is dead, Lucifer knew it was here and found it"

so, while torturing the medic, Lucifer growls "take this... it will make you STRONGER" so I may torture you longer". The guy, pretty upset at losing his dog with no roll or roleplay, sounds fairly detached and says "yeah sure I'll give it a shot". At this point now that he has the syringe stuck in him, Lucifer leaves the whole complex permanently, and a player is (it's been probably 20 minutes since Lucifer's unavoidable mind control spell) allowed to make a choice other than "what do you say before he tortures you" again

The summoner overcharges himself wildly to summon a force 10 (equal to Lucifer) spirit of beasts, essentially a giant Tasmanian Tiger. He sends it to chase after Bishop Gregory. At this point the GM's mind breaks down because he decides he needs the EXACT rules and the exact maths on how long Lucifer was torturing people for vs how long the guy's been driving away, puts the spirit in an impossible situation by requiring an extra SIX SUCCESSES every attempt, then eventually gets him to retroactively use a bonus because he realises it was impossible.

So, the guy's two bodyguards jump on top of the principle and the GM declares "they protect the principle" which is a specific action that costs initiative. Problem is, they don't have the initiative to do it, but in the GM's head they are still dog piling their subject, despite having acted out of turn, so now the spirit has to go through them. The spirit does so and gets him to within an inch of his life (apparently) before being destroyed, because it had to go through 2 surprisingly resilient (to a giant tiger) regular henchmen.

In the end we got no money, the run took 8 hours, and we got 4 karma (I got 5 for a 4 hour run last time).
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.