[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Duel Masters a failed off-brand card game that never took

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: latest.png (399KB, 444x615px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
399KB, 444x615px
Is Duel Masters a failed off-brand card game that never took off?

I have about 600 cards lying around back at home from the first 2 sets. I was a kid, and cards were shiny, anime, and had cryptic instructions on them, so I bought a lot... all through boosters. I don't think I ever got to read the rules... at least, not the full version, the big pack they sold had rules inside, but they said nothing of Evolution rules, so I couldn't really play, and no one my age would want to learn rules in a foreign language to play a nerd game.

In the end, I never learned much about Duel Masters, so tell me more!
Fuck, I should've bought Yu-Gi-Oh en masse instead, but I think they were twice as expensive, an entire $0.01 instead of 0.005!
>>
>>55185096
It's dead.

I liked the dc/marvel game.

yugioh goes in /vg/.
>>
>>55185487
>yugioh goes in /vg/

What? Why?
>>
File: 344.jpg (51KB, 344x480px) Image search: [Google]
344.jpg
51KB, 344x480px
Why did it die though? Is the game weak on its own, or was the competition just too strong?
>>
File: Schuzrum_galluss.gif (856KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Schuzrum_galluss.gif
856KB, 500x281px
>>55185637
Same reason pkmn tcg goes in /vp/
and karate bug men go in /m/
It was just kinda grandfathered in that way.
>>
>>55185973
Game is still played in Japan, however Japan willingly accommodates multiple card games.
US and euro markets are more choosy and have been shown to only support 3-4 card game communities at a time. Any new game needs to swing for the fences and try to displace an existing game. The best contender we've had in recent memory is Netrunner which was beating YGO for a while but FFG bungled it with some bad decisions.
>>
>>55185096
I enjoyed Duel Masters, especially how the different colored races had really unique styles that helped differentiate them. I did kind of wish the lore was stronger though, because I didn't know why they were fighting.

The anime had cute lolis.
>>
>>55186078
Oh well.

Anyway, how does Evolution work?
>>
File: latest.jpg (26KB, 288x398px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
26KB, 288x398px
>>
>>55185096
WotC handled it in America and sold it as MTG jr.
Drove it into the ground so they didn't have any competition.

It's a good game. Hilarious names, fun flavor.

>>55186090
Like evolving in Pokemon TCG or Champion from MTG if the championed creature went to the graveyard on death too.
>>
>>55185096
I quite liked how the game was actually designed. Unfortunately, it went the way of most games and over complicated itself after a few releases.

Yu-Gi-Oh! has almost no resale value since the company rereleases formerly rare cards in starter decks and the like en masse, absolutely shredding the originals' value.
Also, Yu-Gi-Oh! is probably the worst in regard to overcomplication. Fucking synchro summons and pendulum summons and I've heard there's some new bullshit that limits special summoning (which every prior release seemed to rely upon). From what I have been told by people who still play, most "competitive" games last two or three turns at most before someone pulls of an OTK. I just don't see that as being fun.
>>
>>55186902
But Zoodiac, True Draco and Dinosaurs aren't OTK decks, and while games can be decided in 1 or 2 turns, most games last more than that.
>>
>>55186043
What card games are actually played in West apart from Magical?
>>
>>55187342
Magical? I assume you mean Magic. Anyway, Yugioh and Pokemon are some of the most popular card games. There's also Force of Will and Cardfight Vanguard. And I guess living card games.
>>
>>55185096
well they tried reviving it as "Kaijudo" a couple years ago but that failed even faster(partially because they intentionally made it incompatible with Duel Masters, but also because they did a bunch of weird and pointless name and tone changes)

but I have a feeling we'll see a revival of it again within the next couple of years since it's cheap for WOTC to bring over
>>
>>55187342
MtG Pokemon and Yugioh are the big ones

Followed by Netrunner FoW and Vanguard

Expect to see Legends of the Five Rings to make a revival soon.
>>
>>55186814
WotC created it to be MTG jr. There's a Maro podcast about it if you are interested
>>
>>55192689
the problem with "MTG Jr" as an approach is that MTG itself already is MTG junior.
mtg scales amazingly well in casual. If you want to teach your niece or nephew to play or something, you throw a bunch of your unused uncommons and shit together to make a green creature ramp or a black zombie control or a red burn or maybe even a simple counterspell deck. They won't have the best cards or the best deck, and they won't be close to competitive with the full FNM league, but they'll be solid enough to play with each other and learn the rules before investing more time and money. Just build a cheap deck that functions with a strong theming and some Timmy shit and the kids will eat that up.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.