[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a GM whats your best/worse side

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: GlueonHand.jpg (77KB, 680x459px) Image search: [Google]
GlueonHand.jpg
77KB, 680x459px
Hey Gm's
When you run what are you best at?
Whats are you worse at?

Im really good at the individual encounter, be it a fight, room, trap or puzzle. If you dungeon bashing you will have lots of fun in my games.

Npc chatter is my downfall. Im good at playing one pc but give me different throwaway guys and a fall to bits. I really want to introduce a barbarian party but can't do them justice.
>>
Fantastic at planning.

Awful at execution
>>
>>55177640
According to my players, I'm good at making social encounters and interesting cultures.

I can't do voices to save my life.
>>
I'm great at everything, I just don't have any fun DMing.
>>
>>55178242
I had a gm who was like this. So he just wrote the sessions for the gm who was awful at planning but fantastic at execution.
>AAE guy was the city mayor so it kinda fits. Funny know that I think about it too.
>>55178305
Like a hooker?
>>55178271
Do you need the voices? Maybe it would make your best thing bad. Like rob schneider
>>
>>55177640
I'm good at everything.
>>
My players say I do good social encounters with memorable NPCs and I like to think I make exciting battle encounters that are more exciting than just "kill the other guys."

But I am pigfucking awful at designing dungeons. Holy shit. I can stare at a page for hours and not draw a single line. More often than not I take blank maps people put online and adapt them.
>>
I can put together an arc pretty quickly, and overall the others in my group have fun playing the games I run.

I am inflexible when the people playing in my games introduce something that doesn't fit within the context of the setting I've established, and I tend to shoot down, or just make it apparent that whatever it is said player is attempting to do is just not going to happen. I make sure to explain the context of the game before character creation to try to stop this from happening, but it sometimes can't be helped, and I come down on the player kind of hard. The worst is when I'm blindsided by something like this, and I just wind up becoming very blunt when interacting with said player. I need to remind myself that it is sometimes ok for things to be looser then I'd want it to be.
>>
>>55178478
...I guess a little bit like a hooker.
>>
>>55177640
I'm decent at most things, other than hiding my contempt for meme-tier shit some players try to bring into my games. It's not like I call them out on it, I just can't pretend I like it.
>>
>>55177640
I'm bad at everything but the only one willing to regularly run. Sorry guys.
>>
I'm good at improv and bad at pacing. We play by text, so unless one of the players actually says something, it's hard to tell if they're having fun roleplaying or just shooting the shit in-character and waiting for me to move things along.
>>
>>55178773
Are you my GM...?
>>
>>55178773
JAPG?
>>
File: tumblr_mip4kgBlq21rgrri7o1_500.gif (67KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mip4kgBlq21rgrri7o1_500.gif
67KB, 500x250px
>>55178561
Bro, dont worry about the layout joining rooms dude. check out mark browns boss key videos on youtube to see how zelda dungeons are made and how their layouts really work. Helped me a shit-ton
>>55178572
mwf
>>55178635
Orc with pink boots dude... its like covering Cardamom Madeleines in maple syrup
>>55178668
Bro your good at being there and standing on the rock of the gm! Not everyone can weather that storm. You can.
>>55178773
Play-by-text is hard dude pacing is always going to be a drag. I feel it works best 1-on-1 that way your not waiting around for bobby to post.
But if there shooting shit ic and not out thats cool, you got good players.
>>
>>55177640
Same as you + good improv
I'm also shit at voices.

>>55178668
Just read dungeonmaster's guides, or gamemaster's guides, or storyteller guides...
>>
>>55177640
Best: I provide a comedic and player-friendly experience.
Worst: I rarely finish adventures/campaigns, and I'm sometimes too player-friendly.
>>
I deal with pressure really badly, and my variable state of mental health means my games can vary wildly in quality, making the experience a bit inconsistent. My players reassure me they're having fun, and I do my best to try and run something, even on a rough day, but it still harms the quality and consistency of my games, which is a niggling annoyance I know I just have to tolerate. Having a broken head sucks.
>>
>>55177640
>making difficult but fair rooms/challanges/fights that require out of the box solutions

>creating a good plot to get you from here to there

My games tend to be pretty shallow dungeon crawling, war scenes or gang violence
>>
>>55179556
The GM me is more like the me on here. I get outta of my head and just lift everyone up with me.
Bro, lifes hard. Good on you for keep trying even when its shitty. If its hurting your game when your having a bad day and they are still saying they are having fun. Your good day games must be amazing!
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.