[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unorthodoxed GM'ing thread:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: fake-dungeon-masters.jpg (41KB, 615x477px) Image search: [Google]
fake-dungeon-masters.jpg
41KB, 615x477px
This may sound odd, but does anybody have any experience running a campaign with two dungeon masters?

The guy who is planning to DM for our group is being really flaky and I want to save our veteran from inevitably taking over as forever GM. I have DM'd a couple of times and although my players enjoy my campaigns I don't have very much time to plan outside of of play and I'm prone to burn out, however I have a little brother in high school who's very interested in DMing but he
has several social disorders and doesn't feel confident enough to tell the stories he has laid out in real time.

So here's the plan: my brother lays out the map for a campaign, does the major planning and we collaborate on encounter design, but during the actual session I act as all the NPCs and do all the improv. Thoughts?
>>
>>55172962
I think that could work out. I do see potential issues though.

When DMming, players do unpredictable shit. This shit causes you to change the plan. Your younger brother has never DMmed before if I understand it correctly. Given this he is likely to be very invested in whatever story he writes, and is likely to write out specific details that will not pan out. I have found in the past that my stories get butchered sometimes, because the players want to go hard left, when I planned for them to go right. Shit happens.

I am going to ask a question accepting the risk of sounding like a huge dick. Do you think that you brother can handle watching his story go wrong given his social disabilities?

He is going to put his heart and soul into it. And given he has social issues, he probably has a different set of values than you. When the story goes hard left, you are going to make changes (sacrifices) that he wouldn't agree with.

I'm not saying it can't work you just both need to go into this aware that this will happen. You need to tell him that this will happen. He needs to know that you aren't doing it to spite him or his story. He will need assurance BEFORE you go into campaigns that you think his story is super rad. Otherwise he might think you are ruining his story on purpose. I just know how little brothers can be.

I think the root of this issue is that you are sharing responsibilities. I once co-DMmed with someone. It worked out pretty well. What we did was I a rules lawyer did all the numbers and let him know the result of stuff, while he was the story teller. Someones jumping over a pit? I'm looking up the rules for jumping while he player describes thier posture and decisions. They make thier check, While I determine the DC. I write the DC on a piece of paper behind the DM screen and then the DM makes a descision and gives the whole event color and flavor. That was really fun and it worked out pretty well.
>>
>>55172962
It can definitely work, I've done it before with big groups. Make sure that there is one main GM that can overrule anything and the co-DM can handle all the bookkeeping and player rules questions, and handle certain NPC dialoges.
>>
>>55172962
>This may sound odd, but does anybody have any experience running a campaign with two dungeon masters?
I used to do this ALL the time with my brother. We only really stopped because I wound up having to move to another city. It can work, as long as you two keep on the same page. Mostly though, our system would be I do most of the worldbuilding and Dan would do most of the "dungeoneering", as his system mastery was enormously greater than mine.
>>
>>55172962
Me again. You remember? From >>55173247

Another thing you could consider is having your bro dm while you do the numbers and then if he feels overwhelmed you could step in. Let your group know it's his first time. They will understand (unless they are brimming douche floats. Why are you hanging around these people then?).

Whatever you do, just don't let this thing turn into a fight with your bro. Keep him accountable for his own issues, and support him.

At the end of the day, it's just a fuckin game. He'll figure that out. But until then you might have to help him cope with some anxiety or whatever his issues are.
>>
>>55172962
In shadowrun, we had an extra GM control the Johnsons, and the matrix / astral projection scenes. Worked well.
>>
OP here again, thanks for all the feedback. >>55173366 had concerns about my brother also being a new DM but I am pretty confident in him. Our group is pretty close and he's a great player who knows the system well, the idea mostly has to do with his confidence acting as many NPCs and his ability to improvise, which we've agreed is more in my realm.

I think as long as we stay in communication through the whole thing it'll work out. Due to various circumstances our group can't meet in person so we play over Discord and Tabletopsim, but my brother and I would be in the same room together so we could easily communicate behind the curtain.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.