[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often do you use music in your campaigns, /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: image.png (43KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
43KB, 320x240px
How often do you use music in your campaigns, /tg/?
>>
>>55164063
Just about all the time. It's not strictly necessary, but it can help the mood.
>>
Hey pa heparee henos deh henos deh hey pa hee teh dee eenos deh eet ta dee, SEPHARASU,
>>
>>55164063
Every "boss/boss battle" has a theme, as do the players and other recurring NPCs for when they do cool stuff.

Other than that, ill occasionally use it during tense moments, or anything to help get the players into the mood. Since since its PTU, i even have a full playlist for a fightclub that has the arena change every couple of rounds with different tracks for the rooms.
>>
>>55164063
Between my attention deficit and the fact that I'm usually running over Skype, pretty rarely. I don't have the spare focus to DJ at the same time as I DM, and the technology more or less prohibits it.
>>
Playing music during RPGs is a sign of advanced autism. It is usually the result of a GM who went on Reddit looking for advice, got linked to the GM advice videos of a bunch of hipster nu males, and donated to their patreons at the end of it. The result is a GM with a ton of shitty advice in his head which includes playing music during sessions, which is the most advanced autism possible. These GMs also use a laptop during games, and the sound of constant clicking of the mouse or touchpad, or typing, is so utterly distracting it destroys immersion entirely. This is mostly the issue with tech-addicted millenials who cannot put down their goddamn phones for more than ten seconds. All GMs who use a laptop can go fuck themselves, you don't need them, and if you do need them because "muh PDFs" then try buying a game you can actually afford the book for, which means NOT playing Dungeons and Dragons. Yeah, I know it's hard, but there are better systems out there, and then you won't need music as a crutch because your roleplaying will be something actually worth experiencing.
>>
Only for the most intense sessions in the campaign that I prepped in advance. Players told me that they didn't really like it when I played music for anything else.
>>
File: Sadness.jpg (105KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sadness.jpg
105KB, 700x500px
>>55164063
I used to play music all the time during game, but I eventually gave up. Partly because it was a hassle and really, other than me, no one seemed to care. Mainly because of how infuriating it was to constantly have people asking me if a David Bowie song was by The Beatles, or if some Led Zeppelin song was from such and such anime.
>>
>>55164063
BELLS, FROGS, BIG CHERRIES
PETER PAN, MAGIC CHEESE

SEPHIROTH!
>>
>>55164063

Not music, but from time to time I like to play some background noise to add to the atmosphere.

https://tabletopaudio.com/
>>
>>55165058

I use discord since you can use plugins that pull music directly from YouTube and play it through the service. You can also make playlists although those are a bit awkward.

As a result I play music pretty much all the time, I pull a lot of stuff from Final Fantasy or Zelda since it's quite effective for tone and character moments and they've all been remixed / orchestrated a million times allowing you to find the best version.

My players really enjoy it.
>>
>>55164063
>those stats
Pfff haahahah fucking casual.
>>
I spend a huge amount of time preparing soundtracks for my games. Every track has to suit a certain sort of scene, though - I mostly build it out of movie music. I avoid anything with English lyrics (unless it's a song sung in the gameworld) and anything too loud and bombastic like 2 Steps From Hell or other "epic music".

If you're careful about what music you play to back each scene and bit of narrative, it can have a wonderful effect.
>>
>>55164063
i tried it but my group doesnt like it.
So i dropped it
>>
>>55164063
I once played in a group where EVERY character HAD to have a theme song with lyrics. And if the character had multiple forms then they needed multiple songs.
To each his own I guess, but I don't know anything about music. I don't listen to music by myself ever. I couldn't choose a song with lyrics to describe a character if you put a gun to my head.
>>
File: f savanna wizard.png (3MB, 1232x1602px) Image search: [Google]
f savanna wizard.png
3MB, 1232x1602px
I like to have music, but I think I'm the only one that really cares at all. Besides the atmospheric reasons other anons have mentioned, it's also really handy for filling in dead air when I'm trying to find the right words for an NPC's dialogue, looking through my notes for something, etc. Helps it keep from just being an awkward silence.
>>
Constantly. Darkest Dungeon music has the best ambience.
>>
>>55164063

I tried on roll20, but vetting enough appropriate music to go on for hours is a chore.

In one of my groups the GM always runs a couple tracks, but they'll loop every few minutes, so I eventually mute the channel.
>>
>>55164063
We just had generic fantasy music (soundtracks from movies and games) in the background while playing.
>>
File: 1406206664087.png (57KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1406206664087.png
57KB, 400x400px
>>55164063
Currently running a campaign with a music focus.
In the setting, music is kind of an underlying magic that forms the structures for arcane and divine magic and holds reality together.
Most deities and strong individuals have a song tied to them, as well as a couple of NPC companions.
The PCs all have themes that play when they do cool stuff as well as one specific theme for when they go into a powered-up state.
There's one collective theme song for the party that only plays when they all come together to grasp victory from defeat or wail on a big baddy, and there are multiple versions of it that we're working through.

It's very videogamey and over the top, but my group seems to enjoy that.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.