[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dungeons and Dragons 5e

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: goblin.png (1MB, 706x914px) Image search: [Google]
goblin.png
1MB, 706x914px
I'm Dming my first campaign and have run into a little problem. My players roll to persuade everything. I don't have a problem with this exactly, the problem is they're too good at it.
They're level 5 and have put everything into charisma so it isn't difficult for them to convince people to do things
I don't want to be the dm to set insanely high dcs because the players arent playing the way I want them too BUT at the same time they're going to get bored if EVERY single roll passes.
Anybody have any advice on how to handle this?
>>
>>55144047
Tell them to stop rollplaying and start roleplaying.
>>
>>55144047
You do know that you're not supposed to even allow the roll in cases of "I convince the king to hand over his kingdom to me!", right?
>>
>>55144047
DCs for lots of things should be impossible, like >>55144207 points out. Furthermore, when they start failing people will start treating them with more hostility, just as you would if you caught somebody trying to scam you.
>>
>>55144047
Think of it like the real world here. No matter how good the speaker, a lot of people and creatures can't or won't be convinced. Or if say they're negotiating with a Goblin, that Goblin has no reason to agree with them, cause in it's mind, they're just walking sacks of loot. You can't negotiate unless you can offer something value or guarantee negative consequences for saying no. Remember this and shit on them next time they pull something out of their ass.
>>
>>55144308
Yeah, I have stopped them from rolling for some things. I really like the idea of making people treat them with hostility when they fail as it ties in with a lot of the other stuff that has happened in my campaign. For example, they decided to not fight the first 'boss' and move onto another town instead. Now that boss has ravaged the town and is laying waste to the surrounding area. Should be fun when the news catches up to them!
>>55144320
Cheers, I'll start thinking about it more like that
>>
>>55144047
>I don't want to be the dm to set insanely high dcs

You should set appropriate DCs. Ignore the suggestions in the DM guide, set the DCs to what makes sense. It's more difficult to fine tune under 5e's system of advantage and set class proficiencies, but it can be done. And for the record, Persuasion and Intimidation are not skills that are guaranteed to always have at least some chance of success, and shouldn't be seen that way.

You need to nip this in the bud because if you let this shit go on for too long, eventually you'll end up at "lol we convince the orcs to kill themselves!!! XD" and the game will never recover. I just hope your players haven't built up a sense of entitlement over their persuasive powers and won't be butthurt about being reined in.
>>
Stop making it single rolls. Make it a series of contested rolls. Don't allow them to roll unless they come upon with in game facts to support their argument. Make NPCs have requirements for their help. Everybody expects a favor from them for the favors the group received - and unfulfilled favors count as a penalty.
Give them penalties when talking to hostile or suspicious people.
Etc.
>>
>>55144047
You have to be the DM that sets DCs according to the fiction. if they ask for small favors from neutral or friendly NPCs they will hardly ever going to fail indeed.
So next time they are going to persuade someone of something, first think is it even possible for that NPC to agree to begin with, or do they need a some leverage first. Don't populate your world with Yes-man.
If it's possible, think how hard is it going to be, how much pain in the ass helping those adventurers will be really?
Is NPC going to be at risk? Is helping going to be a drain on their resources?
Is he found of those heroes or wish they would go murdehoboing on the other side of the world?
Are they just a lazy stubborn asshole that won't budge even if king himself come in front of their door?
Set a DC accordingly.
If you are afraid your players would think you are unfair, vocalize your though process and present NPCs reasoning. Actually always do it, it's more fun that way. Like: "So you ask him to help and you see how he visibly shivers at the idea of possible consequences, i think convincing him would pretty hard, DC 20 persuasion check"
"Nonsense those secrets are mine and mine only, i shall take them with me to my grave" says a decrepit wizard as he refuses to give you a recipe for hangover potion, what stubborn old shit, what ya gonna do, Persuading him on the spot would be a formidable task. (Implying DC25).
>>
>>55144047
Charisma is not fucking mind control.
>>
>>55144047
>Anybody have any advice on how to handle this?

Throw something they can't negotiate at like the Undead, Constructed beings, or better yet just some fucking *animals. It doesn't have to be something meant to KILL them, just something that'll give them a little trouble that they can't solve by talking things out.

*I'm pretty sure negotiating with animals is dependent on wisdom and not charisma?(?)??? But I'm basing this on the fact that charisma is the social etiquette/sapient stat and wisdom is more in line with awareness, senses, and, like, folky animal etiquette, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
Thanks everybody I'll bear this shit in mind
>>
>>55147640
Also keep in mind that as the GM, you decide when they can roll for things. They can't just yell out I use Intimidate and then force you to make a result out of their intruding dice. If they're in a fight and they don't drop their weapons or make a very convincing argument, don't let them roll at all.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.