[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Designing Systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: 1d8.png (120KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
1d8.png
120KB, 300x256px
Am I the only one who continually writes my own RPG systems because I can't stand any of the published ones I've played?
>>
I do this in my head but can't be arsed to finish them and end up using the published ones because they're actually complete and the rulebook is there as a hard objective fact, which players tend to appreciate
>>
>>55141357
I'm too lazy and gurps works just fine for my purposes
>>
>>55141357
I'm sorry, that eight sided die is aesthetic as fuck and it's distracting me.
>>
>>55141357
Nope, autism is rather common these parts.
>>
I find a lot of good published ones but I get really pissed over certain rules despite loving the core concept of them. This slowly degrades until I hate even the base elements. Then I try to make my own game that incoporates everything and realize it is impossible and get really pissed and as a result I have a folder of 30 word documents I've never made. I even have professional art I commissioned for one of these games but never published it.
>>
>>55141357
>what is /gdg/
>>
>>55141357
I've designed a few. I rarely finish them and when I do, they never get used so it's mostly just the satisfaction of doing it more than anything. I currently have a system sitting in the wings that's not being worked on because I can't figure out how to grok it just right, and then 5e came out and completely fucked my background system by basically doing the same thing. I have a minor obsession with making rules-lite systems that aren't d20 based; the current one is d8 based.
>>
>>55141357
I extensively homebrew, and document it. My personal system is just making the D&D I want, but life makes working on it very hard.
>>
No, I'm the same.
>>
>>55141357
No, I'm literally proliferating my first quasi-professional system right now. Putting it on sale hopefully next month, once my artist is done and layout gets done for good.

Sooner or later I'll be like sticks on fire in 4chan, too. Maybe I'll try putting Strike!fag to shame.
>>
>>55142034
if you have a PDF I'd love to take a look, I love reading alt-D&Ds.
>>
>>55141357
Ha. No, but at the same time I'm not in College or high school anymore and don't have time to devote writing out new systems.
The ones that I come up with now a days are rather simple.

>And at the exact same time the hugely complex systems I made way back when were shit cause I was a bright-eyed idiot that thought he knew how game systems should work.

So in the end, I prefer my published ones these days, but I still enjoy some neat home-brews.
>Hopefully not ANOTHER one that used a d10 based thou.
>>
>>55141960
This. It's fairly common. My system is a frankenstein of reverse engineered video games with mechanics I liked converted into d20 probability spreads because that's much easier to balance and work with than dice pools.

Games I've harvested for parts include-
-Fire Emblem
-Dark Souls
-Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
-Phantom Crash/Front Mission/Armored Core
-Shadowrun
-World of Darkness
-Civilization 4, 5
-Democracy 2, 3
-Uplink
-Fallout 2
-Deus Ex (original)

And several others I'm forgetting. It takes a lot of configuring to get the systems to knit together and flow nicely, but the end result I'm pretty happy with.
>>
>>55142128
>I'm not in College or high school anymore and don't have time to devote writing out new systems.
Neither am I and I still have time to work on large personal projects. Your bad for getting into a career that requires more than 40 hours a week from you, and having kids. gg bro.
>>
>>55142018
This is exactly the same as me, right up to the rules-lite d8 fixation.
>>
>>55142116
I only have my 5e CoS homebrew that needs updating if I was to share it. Lists DMG options, rule changes, feat changes, custom feats, etc. The biggest is probably coupling massive damage, injuries, and not falling unconscious at 0HP rules together so the game frequently plays with players partially crippled and critical hits being extremely meaningful.

My extensive homebrew is collecting dust at the moment - making 5e pseudo classless (like Star Wars EotE) where each level a player gains 1 feature and access to that level's pool of common resources (needs to be cleaned up, but the first go around has beeen a dice pool, point pool, and power slots). I was just about to start working on it again.
>>
>>55142413
I also have an idea for a d20 mechanic, roll versus fixed number set by stats with partial success possible. There would be a modifier, but the modifier is set by difficulty so the core roll becomes d20+difficulty mod vs set DC.
>>
>>55141357
Constantly. Like 30 years of gaming constantly. Have never met a system I didn't tweak or mangle.
>>
>>55141357
No. You can also just take good parts from other systems and add then to yours, or start with a system and take out all the bullshit.
>>
>>55141357
>Am I the only one

Fuck no. I'd guesstimate that at least 50% of GMs design their own systems as a hobby and a minimum of 90% of GMs have designed at least one homebrew system.
>>
>>55141472
Looks like frosted glass.
>>
>>55142446
so a basic roll-under-stat system? well, congrats on inventing it all over again.

most people find it more intuitive to apply your difficulty modifier to the stat you're rolling against btw. you're always going to be thinking "ok, I need X or less to pass this" anyway
>>
>>55141357
you're never the only one at anything, there's been 120billion shitlords alive before us

I have my own d6 dicepool with custom magic making. gheto 10page d&d
>>
>>55141357
I know a guy who did this and self-published. Helped him with the beta test and everything. It's really fun.
>>
>>55145059
Well it would be roll over, because the over part is intuitive. The other idea is that rolling a total over 20 or under 1 would be the critical success/failure mode so that why you add a modifier to the roll.

And I never claimed it was unique, I just like d20 for flat probability with good graduation allowing for an optimal experience in terms of roll to result. I love d100 systems, by rolling d100s is never exciting rolling a 1 or a 20 is a bigger experience. Same could be said for multiple dice where the probability is more fun but the additional arithmetic takes the focus of automatically knowing if you had a big success or crushing failure. It's a stupid minor thing, but I am not making a game because it is completely new - I'm doing it to facilitate an experience I like. I like crunchier character choices and actions, and the simplest resolution possible.
>>
>>55141357
No. The difference is I haven't played enough RPGs to really make a good system.
>>
File: 1500673901312.jpg (54KB, 555x547px) Image search: [Google]
1500673901312.jpg
54KB, 555x547px
>>55141357

POST YOUR SYSTEMS ITT SO WE CAN JUDGE YOU
>>
File: Crawlite_Playtest_v0_2_1.pdf (127KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Crawlite_Playtest_v0_2_1.pdf
127KB, 1x1px
>>55141357
Yes but more because of my desire to make something fun and less about not enjoying published systems. I did it when I was playing AD&D and I'm still doing it while playing 5e, Blades in the Dark, Numenera, 7th Sea, and FATE.

Attachment related.
>>
>>55142405
Talk me into getting back to work on it, anonbro. Give me the conviction. I want to finish and self-publish a decent RPG system before I die, and I think I can make this one work but I can't bring myself to devote the time I used to because of the background thing.
>>
>>55146086
>every /gdg/
Why don't you just pay some people to playtest your system you cheap fuck?
>>
>>55146101
Why pay when my friends volunteer?

Not like I'm looking to publish anything.
>>
>>55146101

Because paying people to play or host games is bad for arbitrary reasons.
>>
>>55146086
This is pretty cool dude. I could see using this with kids, or as a nice system for one-shots. It's campaignable too. Good work.
>>
>>55146145
Thanks. I caught some flack on /gdg/ because of the extremely high-variance character ability scores, but I think that's because I don't do a very good job explaining in the rules that it's meant to be a semi-goofy one-off type game.
>>
>>55146217
playing a dude with all 1s is only going to trigger minmaxers and shitter gamist autists. Ignore them. Beer and pretzel games trigger way too many faggots around here.
>>
File: Heroes Journey 1.6.pdf (571KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Heroes Journey 1.6.pdf
571KB, 1x1px
>>55146086
Since you've started I'm dropping my WIP.
It's a bit messy and badly written.
>>
>>55146411
I'm reading through now while making food and will drop some comments when I've finished reading, but just as a quick though; have you considered puting this into a 2 column layout. I find it reads easier in the text-heavy bits.
>>
>>55141357
Nope
Been GMing for far too long to not have major issues with many of the common systems.
Been working on my own system on and off for a few months.

Then again most GMs have simple house rules on games they play. Nothing to fancy or shit goes wack.

>>55145936
That would invalidate copyright
Any released RPG ruleset will get judged under the sword on here anyway
>>
>>55146594
I'll do it, didn't do so far out of lazyness
>>
>>55141357
I just wrote one system and I use a few published ones.
>>
>>55141931
>I even have professional art I commissioned for one of these games but never published it.
Post it.
>>
>>55141357
I do this. After about 6-7 years of developing a game specifically for my group, I got fed up with my other friends adapting Vampire: The Masquerade for other settings all the time (a huge waste of everyone's time, and it's not like the game has good mechanics for practically anything anyway. It's a vehicle to sell the setting.) I finally just nutted up and developed a simple universal game that a bunch of my friends and acquaintances now use as their go-to system for anything that isn't D&D.
I think some of them have been running a Persona 4 style game in it for like 2 years now.
>>
>>55146086
>Crawlite
Do they call you crawdaddy?
>>
>>55141357
I've been writing a manual for a universal system called Lamentum for a while
It's turing out more complicated than I was hoping but it's still fun as fuck.

Probably going to have to make attack cheat sheets for combat to let players know all the types of attacks they can make and how different types of armor react against different types of damage
>>
>>55147438
Only the wifey can call me that
>>
>>55141444
>lazy
>GURPS
literally how
>>
>>55141357

No, you're not the only one who thinks they're special and their systems are special.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.