[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apocalypse World Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: AW2Ewebpromo.jpg (143KB, 350x525px) Image search: [Google]
AW2Ewebpromo.jpg
143KB, 350x525px
The book is out. Hard copy. I don't buy PDFs because I fucking hate reading them. Should I buy it? 33 bucks is a fair bit of money to be because I'm a wagecuck but it's not a major purchase decision. Unlikely I could get my group to play it because they are all pathfinder cucks, I've tried to run games in the vein of AW and they just shot everything up and won because they had OP armor I shouldn't have given them. Also they would sperg out at all the swearing and sex shit. Maybe I could find a text-only game on roll20.

Basically, help me decide whether to buy this book. I really, really love the apocalypse world setting, it's "implied" like D&D implies a setting without actually having one.

One thing I'm still unclear on, despite understand how the game works and how moves work, is how to reconcile them with the actual flow of an RPG session. Like, if the players end up on the roof of a building and try to jump from one building to another across a 5foot gap, is that acting under fire? How would you handle it? I know it's narrative so it should only be rolled for if there are interesting narrative consequences, but there are some pretty interesting consequences there in some ways (falling and taking a ton of harm).

Anyway just general discussion of the game, if you've run it greentext what happened. It's a fun little game and I really like it.

Also is it worth the extra 10 dollars for hardcover over softcover?
>>
I always get hardcovers because they look nice in my shelves and I never get to play them anyway so yeah, I always pay the extra 10 bucks.

If the players go up to the top of the building without any pressure they just jump across, no roll needed. If they are being pursued, or they are pursuing something, then they are either acting under fire or go aggro. Remember the situation is not just "jumping across", the situation is the whole narrative around either getting away or chasing.
I swear there is a good pdf explaining all this. Maybe it was for Dungeon World instead?

Anyway, yes, since you really really love the setting, then you should buy this book.
>>
>>55140353
2nd ed is a lot less interesting to me because of the focus on more specific combat moves. Its not that different than 1st though.

Depends on if the jumping across a roof is interesting. If they're being chased, shot at, pursued, or other bad things can put them in complicated situations while they're running away roll for it. Maybe describing a zoom out of them hopping from roof to roof, they 7-9 it, zoom in and they land, roll, breathing heavy, everything's quiet for a breath and someone under them starts shooting holes in the roof. Look at the move list, think of a thing you can do to work with each of those. Future badness could be while they're high up they see a gathering mob in the distance, hard choices could be realizing they dropped an important thing a bit back. Hard move could be someone twists an ankle, what now? Asking them what bad thing they see up ahead is good too, like 'You look through sweat stinging your eyes and see Biff clambering up the generator stack to stop you, laughing manically. What's he so excited about?'

But if they're just escaping and there's not much going on skip it and move on.

>>55140561
The DW gm help guide is pretty handy. I hear watching videos of people playing is good too, haven't tried it.
>>
>>55140353
I ran a one-shot a little while ago. My group wasn't able to run our usual game so we literally started making characters 5 minutes after deciding to play it, and then started the game itself as soon as character creation was done, which probably speaks to how prep-light the game is. The actual session went as follows:
>the Gunlugger shows up looking for revenge on the Maestro'D for leaving him for dead
>The Maestro'D manages to defuse the situation and talk the Gunlugger out of killing them
>The town authorities, who don't like the Maestro'D, then show up, the patrons managed to drive them out and the Gunlugger then decided to help as well
>Natrually this meant the entire town's security died
>Due to the resulting vacuum the Maestro'D took command of the town
>The Driver then heard news of a roving warlord in the area, so they drove the Maestro'D out to try and negotiate
>The Maestro'D agreed to give the warlord tribute
>When the soldiers came back to town though and started taking food and supplies it was revealed the Maestro'D had poisoned said food
>the warlord's forces then fought The Driver and The Gunlugger
>If was a tough battle but the warlord was killed along with his soldiers
It was a short session but it was fun
>>
>>55141000
How "zoomed in" in the roleplay in this, though? The only issue I have with moves and their abstraction is that it feels like it encourages "ok I roll to take over the town" kind of gameplay. Is the actual roleplaying done "blow by blow" similar to a D&D game? I've seen some footage of DVB running AW and it seems like a normal RPG except for the rolling is much rarer and handled differently, each roll is like a "node" in the story. Which I totally get into. I saw DVB's write up of how combat went, it was a bit weird but I liked it.
>>
>>55141164
Blow by blow if the blows are all significant, risky, exciting and interesting with stakes. If they're not those things you can skip steps. If its a thing that seems direct, can be explained well and no one wants to play it out I'd not force people to.

Easy way to prevent 'I take over the town' one roll is to say 'okay, how do you do that?' and then play out the details as they can be complicated. Or just say 'okay, you're in charge now, these are all the things you have to deal with, what do you do?'. Depends on your group.

Your moves as mc are to relentlessly fuck with their plans and lives. They can plan all they want, and should, it makes an exciting story. You should ask them to fill you in on details of how they do things so you have stuff to fuck with. Keep an eye on your threat fronts and think about how they'd react to what the players are up to. Congradulations you took over the town, now the cannibal circus is comming and they want their flesh tribute. Also making npc triangles. So the Gunlugger takes over the town, but pisses off an influential local who's sleeping with the Chopper's right hand man. Stuff like that.
>>
>>55141164
the Maestro'D taking control of the town wasn't actually rolled for, there's not an applicable move so we went with whoever made the most sense and it gave me the opportunity to throw some other problems his way.

The important thing about rolling in AW though is that every roll changes the situation in some meaningful way. The fight between the Gunlugger and the warlord's forces, for instance, was three rolls
>first roll hurt some of the soldiers and they fell back and took cover
>the next attack against them resulted in all of the NPC backing the Gunlugger up being killed and the Gunlugger himself had to retreat
>after Acting Under Fire the Gunlugger was then able to charge their position and clear up the last of them
>>
>>55140353
Is it still so edgy that you need a doctor on call just in case you start reading it?
Despite the author's best efforts I kinda liked the original game (or at least could see why others liked it).
>>
>>55142124
The edge is part of the fun, though.

>>55141360
>>55141305
Alright that sounds a bit more like how I figured it was. I've been reading the combat example DVB gave on RPGnet, it's pretty good.
>>
File: guide.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
guide.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>55142308
This is for DW but its still handy to read.
>>
>>55142124
Yes the matching of tone and setting hasn't changed.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.