[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starfinder Reception

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

So /tg/, I'd like to know what do you think about Starfinder and what are the major merits and flaws of it. I always liked the idea of a futuristic magitek campaign, and I would like to know if Starfinder could be a nice choice (balancing, fluff, execution) or not.
>>
I never liked Pathfinder's setting because it is just there to showcase the ability to use the system for any fantasy genre. So the setting in Starfinder is just as uninspiring. Now as for the system. I have to play the game to say for certain, but it does not look very balanced nor does it look complete. For magitek go with fading suns instead.
>>
I wonder if it could end up being babbys first sci fi role playing game the same way D&D is babbys first fantasy.
>>
>>55138912
I don't think it will be, but I do think there's a market for that game.

Is cliche space fantasy cliche enough, though? Classic fantasy literature has a bedrock of cliche, dudes with swords killing evil magic bastards and such. Classic sci-fi is more diverse. Can the same system do Star Wars and Star Trek? What about Dune and John Carpenter? At some point the rules are going to lose their flavour for trying to accommodate everything and at that point you might as well just play GURPS.
>>
>>55140118
I was just thinking that GURPS seems to do better, even with the hangups of Ultra-Tech.
>>
>>55137579
Played one of the Society scenarios the other day, and although organized play is definitely not indicative of the system as a whole (though they pushed scenarios so quickly out the gate I'm sure they balanced the core game around it) it definitely felt like someone's shitty home brew

>everyone played either a human or the ratfolk, because fuck the "weird" races and their stupid "we don't adhere to gender norms *tips*"
>ground combat is bog standard PF combat
>space combat is interesting enough, but the way the game's structured the GM has to constantly find ways to force players into space
>restricting gear by character level feels way too "video gamey", and a shitty way to balance power levels
>classes and theme combos are the only somewhat interesting thing, but there's not a lot of substance apart from "which extra ability point does my munchkin character need"?

All in all, it's alright as a PF system starting "fresh", but it doesn't nothing new or better than any other sci-if system.
>>
File: FTL races.png (8KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
FTL races.png
8KB, 288x288px
>>55137579
I really like how the world of FTL is so simple and intuitive, with all the aliens being exactly what it says on the tin
I find this strangely compelling, in a "back to basics" sort of way
>>
>>55140786
I clicked on this thread for pretty much the same reason. FTL rules. Check out the Captains Edition Mod if you want even more goodness, while sticking true to the core game.

Too bad that Hyperspace Admirals has been delayed indefinitely, looked like a cool successor project.
>>
>>55140732
agreed
feels like a gutted pathfinder to me.
also, the limit on 2 magic item per character feels weird to me. not much magitek, more like tek with a drop of magic in an ocean.
>>
I'd be more interested if Starfinder gives us Ship Schematics like those in Infinite Space and FTL. Using tetris modules to customize a ship and grids inside for the crew.
>>
>>55137579
Worse than you'd hope, better than you'd expect.

Way better than Pathfinder at any rate despite its flaws.
>>
File: Power Shrug.gif (428KB, 200x183px) Image search: [Google]
Power Shrug.gif
428KB, 200x183px
>>55137579
>Setting
Fantastic. I plan to use it.
>System
It's Pathfinder. I don't plan to use it.
>>
What would you use as baby's first Sci Fi RPG? Traveler? SWN?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.