[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If your preferred RPG system takes a whole session to make a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4369.jpg (39KB, 214x299px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4369.jpg
39KB, 214x299px
If your preferred RPG system takes a whole session to make a character, it is a poor system. It is difficult enough to get people together to have a session and if you have to spend an entire session just getting a character ready, the system is ineffective and needs refining or pick an different system.

Discuss.
>>
>>55136047
Oh boi, another thinly-veiled "DnD sucks" topic.

You're completely correct, however.
>>
>>55136047
If character creation is integrated into actual play, then taking an entire session to make a character is perfectly fine.

No, I don't know any game that works like this. Except DCC, very arguably.
>>
>>55136047

Lengthy character creation is annoying, but it's not enough to condemn the whole system if it has other merits. Don't be absolutist.
>>
>>55136047
What if you start at lvl 0 and at the end of the session you pick your class?
>>
>>55136573
I already pointed that out: >>55136482
>>
Session zero usually applies to new players who need help creating characters, getting familiarized with the setting, goals, how the characters meet, etc. When you're running a game with experienced players that take all of 5 minutes to get characters created and who know the setting there usually is no session zero. Usually when I play it's 1 to 2 hours helping new players get set up then we adventure for the rest of the session, filling them in on the rest as we go.

It's not really something you can blame on the system, any game could take a session zero unless it's some bare bones one page RPG.
>>
>>55136047
If your preferred method of posting involves nothing but hyperbolized absolutes meant to provoke arguement the post is ineffective and needs refining or write a different post.

Discuss.
>>
>>55136047
But anon, Traveller and Burning Wheel both have fun chargen that requires you be with your group.

Also, I've only had complaints about how long chargen takes from people who don't even bother to read the book or come up with a basic character concept if they're told there will be a session 0.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.