[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

XLN Spoilers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 42

File: t3_6wy5ia.jpg (34KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
t3_6wy5ia.jpg
34KB, 265x370px
Pillar of Genesis 2

Artifact

As Pillar of Genesis enters the battlefield, choose a creature type. (T):Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.
>>
File: t3_6wy5um.jpg (60KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
t3_6wy5um.jpg
60KB, 265x370px
>>55135116
Card Name 5W

Creature - Dinosaur

Enrage - Whenever ~ is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.

3/5
>>
File: q93p2An.jpg (42KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
q93p2An.jpg
42KB, 265x370px
>>55135116

Twilight Legion Battleship 5

Artifact - Vehicle

Vigilance

Crew 2

4/6
>>
>>55135126
wow they're really pushing the brakes on these vehicles
ba dum tss
>>
So far so good. More tribal than expected, but I guess it makes sense for a top down set. Could work out like Innistrad.
>>
>>55135119
>each OTHER creature

Laaaaaaame. You had one job
>>
why can't cards be good?
>>
>>55135219
Well, I mean, if it gained +1/+1 counters every time it was damaged, it'd be unstoppable!

(We need an Ixalan Fungasaur reprint, amirite?)
>>
>>55135116
Planeswalker Kars confirmed.
>>
>>55135119
This goes infinite with 2 of itself and 2 balistas
>>
>>55135231
>why can't cards be good?
Cards can certainly be good anon, but these are all uncommons goy. The good cards are placed at mythic for the most profits!

Joke aside, this set has seemed really fucking boring. Even some of the rares are just fucking re-hashes like Authority of the Consuls on legs or Torpor Orb on legs.

Actually, looking over the rare and mythic list, I can pick out maybe 15 cards that do something new or interesting, with another 21 being so boring and ho-hum they may as well be reprints. Some of this shit like Rowdy Crew, Daring Sabotuer, Deeproot Champion or Emperor's Vanguard seem like they were put a rarity level higher than they should be as some sort of cruel joke to anyone who dares to open packs anymore. Look at Angreath's Marauders, Goring Ceratops or Verdant Sun's Avatar and tell me what deck would ever run these cards outside of EDH jank. I don't give a shit if they're meant to be Timmy's big fatties, they're not even interesting fatties. They're the most win more, do nothing piles of shit that will never see play in a non-EDH constructed format.
If they have to push shit cards to higher rarities and mana costs because of "muh limited", they should just scrap the card and try making something else interesting.

Honestly, the only cards I've really given a shit about so far are Treasure Map, Ogre Hand Ravager, Captain Lannery Storm and Deadeye Plunderers. Four fucking cards out of almost the entire rare sheet and a fair handful of uncommons.

WotC designing cards in standard sets for Limited and Commander usage is killing the fucking game.
>>
File: 1499448315880.png (39KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1499448315880.png
39KB, 321x322px
>>55135439
sure, buddy
>>
>>55135116
Can we just have a cavern of souls reprint?
>>
>>55135470
>WotC designing cards in standard sets for Limited and Commander usage is killing the fucking game.

I thought Magic was selling better than ever before?
>>
>>55135475
>have 2 of >>55135119
>also have 2 ballistas
>remove counter from ballista A to shoot dino A
>put counter on both balistas and dino B
>remove counter from Ballista A to shoot dino B
>put counter on dino A and both ballistas
>repeat until ballista B has enough counters to kill opponent
>>
>>55135762
It is. Player acquisition and player retention have increased too.

What people really mean is "I'm deeply offended that WotC would neglect me. This will be a dire mistake, as I am their only important customer."
>>
>>55135762
>I thought Magic was selling better than ever before?
Player retention is dropping and need I remind you that there are FIVE cards banned from fucking standard because of their fuckups.
>>
>>55135762

Were sales boosted by lottery cards?
>>
File: t3_6wz61h.jpg (58KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
t3_6wz61h.jpg
58KB, 600x420px
>>55135116

Translation:

~ gets +1/+1 as long as you control another merfolk or Island.
>>
File: 1501734466172.jpg (24KB, 277x296px) Image search: [Google]
1501734466172.jpg
24KB, 277x296px
>>55135771
>le green text wall for explain the dumbest 4-piece combo ever existed instead of just take the bant
the absolute state of standard
>>
>>55135838
I can dig it.
>>
>>55135762
I am not going to speak for the community as a whole because I don't have the data. I can tell you that my nearest LGS, which is the highest rank possible in the WOTC system, has found it impossible for weeks to get draft or standard to fire, and turnout for new sets is embarrassing. Again, I can't tell you if other stores are having happy times, but the one I attend is finding Magic an increasingly hard sell. This last happened with Mirrodin.
>>
>>55135439
you only need 1 balista, and a swing actually. but that's still 16 mana. 20 mana if you wanna use the second balista to shoot face,
>>
>>55135838
This might actually have implications for Modern Merfolk, considering Cursecatcher and Aether Vial are the only 1-drops atm. Manabase would have to be retooled, but between Botanical Sanctum and Cavern of Souls, I can't imagine it being that difficult to accommodate this.
>>
>>55135119
aaaaaand there's the card that goes infinite with ballista
>>
>>55135838
>>55135912
If green goes into Modern Merfolk is it wise to run CoCo instead of Master of Waves?
>>
>>55135470
>WotC designing cards in standard sets for Limited
So, you're suggesting that they arbitrarily drop support for limited, despite it being one of the more skill-intensive formats?
>>
>>55135194

They always do that with a new card type. First examples are batshit broken and then they start toning them down bit by bit. The most powerful equipment were printed in the Mirrodin block (exception is Jitte, which was a straight up accident of design).
>>
>>55135922
>need two
>costs 6
>going infinite ever
There are far better things to do with 16+ mana
>>
So, is standard gonna be slower then ixalan comes out? I might like that.
>>
>>55135957
>So, you're suggesting that they arbitrarily drop support for limited, despite it being one of the more skill-intensive formats?
I'm saying they stop printing garbage rares because "muh limited". WotC can certainly design for limited and make good sets, look at both the Conspiracy sets.

Limited is WotC's excuse to print shit standard sets and they need to stop using it as a scapegoat.
>>
>>55135943
Most likely. CoCo is fucking broken.
>>
File: Image.png (119KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
119KB, 223x311px
>>55135969
not the first time a 6-mana infinite dork got people all hard in spoiler season
>>
>>55135969
>Reanimator or ways to cheat this into play don't exist
>Winding Constrictor doesn't exist
I'm not saying it's busted or that it'll even see play, point of fact is that it goes infinite.
>>
>>55135987
The suggestion I always give is to just cut rares and mythics from limited entirely. This way you can balance them exclusively for constructed, and limited benefits from reduced variance brought on by bullshit rares.
>>
>>55136006
>winding constrictor
you need two because otherwise the dinosaur dies in five shots. adding to the counters doesn't help it survive.
>>
>>55135987

Only the first Conspiracy is a good set, the second is hot garbage where 99% of cards are unplayable in any format other than Take the Crown draft.
>>
>>55136006
>>Reanimator or ways to cheat this into play don't exist
Show me what you're going to cast in standard to re-animate this with that will be worth the cost saving, especially when you could re-animate a titan or Razaketh.
Closest I could see is using an Ever After to grab 2 of them from your yard.
>>
>>55135119
I'm glad we got an ankylosaurus, but are all dinos really gonna be high-cost hank? It feels like running them as anything other than a handful in a standard deck of another tribe as finishers would just end badly, since a dedicated dino deck would be too mana hungry.

Right now UG merfolk is the only thing I'm excited for
>>
>>55136012

That would solve the problem, but it would also make Limited really boring I think.

Then again, I never understood how people could stand to play Pauper either and that format is pretty popular so maybe people in general don't think all the interesting cards are rares like I do.
>>
>>55135838

Anybody else really dislike the flavor of these "totally not elves even though we're walking in forests all day" Merfolk?
>>
>>55136045
>the second is hot garbage where 99% of cards are unplayable in any format other than Take the Crown draft.
So, just like most Standard sets that come out?
I was saying they were good DRAFT sets, they don't have to be good constructed sets. The point is WotC is half-assing a ton of cards because "well muh limited!".
There's making a limited set (Conspiracy) and then there's phoning it in as an excuse (Most of the X Masters sets having shitty reprints because WotC says "It's for draft guys!").
>>
>>55136085
>So, just like most Standard sets that come out?

I don't think we have seen a Standard set as overall terrible as Take the Knot since Born of the Gods. There's lots of sets that are overall bad except for a couple specific mythics/rares, but TTC isn't "overall bad", it's utterly unusable. You're like 40% likely to get a rare that literally cannot be put into a deck if you're not drafting. It's insanely bad when it's bad.
>>
>>55136081
Nope. Merfolk have always been able to come on land. The way I see it as long as they have to take a swim in a nearby river every So often then it's fine.
>>
>>55135943
Yes, master was only really good when bolt was the premium removal, now it has been substituted with push and push kills the master with revolt.
>>
>>55136081
Not really. You're basically complaining that one green tribe is similar to another newly green tribe because they both inhabit the basic land type of green.
>>
>>55136045

No way, screw you. The second Conspiracy brought down to earth the prices on Berserk, Show and Tell, Inquisition of Kozilek, Ghostly Prison, Serum Visions, and Beast Within, plus gave us a load of cool cards for legacy like Recruiter of the Guard (C. Breakfast, DnT), Leovold, Emissary of Trest (Elves), Kaya, Ghost Assassin (Deadguy Ale), and Palace Jailer (Soldier Stompy). Hell even Vintage got Daretti for its Welder Reanimator decks.

The reprints were miles better for constructed than any standard set we've had in a lifetime, and the limited environment was terrific.
>>
>>55136203

No, I'm complaining that merfolk should not be in any color other than blue and fuck off the edge of my dick.
>>
>>55136220
>Merfolk should only be Blue
>Lorwyn/Eventide the sets that really popularized Merfolk had some in mono-White, Blue/White, Blue/Green, and Blue/Black.

Que???
>>
>>55136220
We've already had them in mono-white and mono-black, and Ravnica already went pretty far with UG Merfolk as is.

Aside from them not living on Mountains, Merfolk seem pretty versatile. Hell, those mono-white merfolk didn't even have legs.
>>
>>55136081
Nope. Just because someone lives in a certain environment doesn't mean they have to abide by that colour identity.

If there was a set with a legendary merfolk rebel trying to overthrow something would you be mad if he was mono-red? Or preferably not the "red can only be angry/overthrow things" meme but you get the idea. The culture/group morals of something depicted on a creature card can change it's colour association outside of it's tribal association.

Merfolk aren't fucking robots with one personality, they can be just as diversified as humans are.
>>
>>55136413
>If there was a set with a legendary merfolk rebel trying to overthrow something would you be mad if he was mono-red?

Yes? Absolutely I would be mad. Just like I'd be mad for a mono-blue Goblin.
>>
>>55135966
Except for the three remaining Swords and Batterskull.
>>
File: 11[1].jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
11[1].jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>55136462
Maybe you're just an angry person.
How have you taken the White Vampires so far?
Did you have a seizure when Fallen Angel was printed? Maybe you actually died all those years ago and never realized you're in hell? Maybe we're your personal demons, come to torment you once again?
>>
>>55136462
They've already made mono-black and mono-green goblins, and WR and UR goblins have quite a few hybrid and multicolor cards.

For these major tribes, it's just a fact that they're going to steadily branch out and be depicted in more and more ways.
>>
>>55135893
My sentiment exactly. Would love se crappy Island Forests though.

>>55136081
Not at all. I like certain staples like humans, elves, and goblins to not be on every plane, and most Magic races are kind of generically interchangeable anyway. Amphibious elf-splorers on a water plane is fine by me.
>>
>>55136466
>Batterskull

Batterskull kind of plays into the argument, just a bit. It was something created from playing with a new thing, "Living Weapon". That's them not being sure how to cost something being both an equipment and a creature.
>>
>>55136462
Merfolk already seem pretty heavily Green in philosophy a lot of the time. They often use bone weapons, wear primitive armor, make use of wildlife where they live, live in small tribal groups that aren't accepting of non-merfolk, revere their past and traditions, etc.

Honestly, it's harder to come up with Blue stuff for them that isn't just the fact that they live underwater.
>>
>>55136462
>Yes? Absolutely I would be mad. Just like I'd be mad for a mono-blue Goblin.
Why? Outside of tribal decks, creature type doesn't matter? A number of races already cover most colors, so it's not like to against the rules for basically any creature to use any mana.
>>
File: 132.jpg (76KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
76KB, 312x445px
I miss Orcs being depicted as Anti-White tribal, it gave them a great flavor. Hell I miss anti-color/land-type cards in general.
>>
>>55136627
Because it destroys the identity of the color, goblins are the face of red because they are dumb and impulsive, some exception here and there is fine, there could be like 1 legendary mono U goblin because he's particularly smart schemer with a lore reason behind it but it must not be the norm.
>>
>>55136210
Facts don't do anything against these whiners.
>>
File: t3_6wzrgb.jpg (30KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
t3_6wzrgb.jpg
30KB, 265x370px
>>55135116
Creature - Dinosaur
5/5

Trample
When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each other creature

Something about carnivorous dinosaurs developing a taste for undead (read: vampire) meat even though it lacks blood seasoning.
>>
>>55136694
I'm assuming we ended up with Green Merfolk for the same reason we ended up with Blue Zombies. Everything on Innistrad wanted to be Black, so they did everything out of Black as often as much as they could. On Waterworld Ixalan, everything wants to have water themes and lean a little Blue, so they decided to try branching out.
>>
>>55136637
I don't get how these cards worked when everyone was playing decks against the same people made from out of the contents of 9 boosters.

If little Sally Dawnwhite has only one deck that happens to be white and little Tommy Tremorfire has this card, how many games will they really play before just quitting MtG?
>>
>>55136694
It isnt the norm, so fsr its just ixalan eith mono green merfolk. The fact of the matter is, if they want to do tribal, tribes NEED to be split into multiple colors for the purpose of limited, so Merfolk HAVE to bleed into a second color. Green is like the least offensive color they could have bled into I think besides maybe black, and we already had Grixis pirates. I still think the white merfolk are weird.
>>
>>55136694
>it but it must not be the norm
Oh I mostly agree with that, but these Merfolk seem fine. Like >>55136599 pointed out Merfolk are pretty green in general, in addition to the ones that are actually green. Also, if a plane doesn't have elves, something's going to fill the roll. Merfolk, snakes, naga, humans, whatever. And what an "elf" is is pretty versatile. Why not the same for Goblin within reason?

I also think the norm can be shifted. Leonin are green and white, not just white with green or green with white. We've had monoblack elves in a few sets, and Lorwyn's black goblins (admittedly closer to what you pointed out a goblin should be).
>>
>>55136827
Didnt actually expect theyd do self damage enablers for enrage.
>>
>>55136889
They printed banishing knack in the same set as {Q} and Heroic+Bestow in the same set. Why wouldn't they print enablers?

I'm excited for more fight cards in this set.
>>
>>55137010
Dunno. Just seems like a weird thing to encouage damaging your own creatures. In fairness this was one of the more natural applications.
>>
>>55136558
I'd argue SFM is what made Batterskull broken, not the card itself.
>>
>>55136889
>Didnt actually expect theyd do self damage enablers for enrage.
In the fucking video showcasing the mechanic they even say "also look out for the enablers we'll be showing in spoiler season".
>>
>>55137055
A five mana batterskull is completely fair. Strong, but fair.

But they knew Mystic existed, so they really have no excuse for not getting how busted it would be.
>>
>>55137055
It continued to see play well after SFM left standard, and has some play in Modern without her. SFM certainly didn't help, but Batterskull is a house unto itself.
>>
File: rowdycrew1.jpg (53KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
rowdycrew1.jpg
53KB, 265x370px
So how are everyone's decks looking after all the Ixalan spoilers so far? I was running B/R Madness so about a third of my deck is leaving Standard next month. I'm thinking of just turning it into a fast Aggro deck by adding a few Glorybringers and maybe some cheap 2-drop black dude (Thinking Gifted Aetherborn but the two black is kinda pushing me away from it). The only card I can see using from Ixalan so far is pic related. Maybe Bloodcrazed Paladin if his price doesn't spike superhard because lol EDH Vampire Tribal
>>
>>55135803
>Player acquisition and player retention have increased too.
Source on this? Not a doomsayer but this post is worthless without a source
>>
>>55137080

>that one guy on /tg/ who thinks Rowdy Crew is good

I'm envious of your levels of delusion.
>>
>>55135771

Nah man.
>>
File: IMG_1944.jpg (88KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1944.jpg
88KB, 312x445px
>>55137119
This saw play for a while. Random discard isn't as bad as it seems when it gives card advantage.

I'm not banking on it seeing play, but people are underestimating it.
>>
>>55137170
Random discarding 2 cards will fuck you over and it's just a 3/3 that costs 4 mana, it's garbage.
>>
File: 345345.jpg (183KB, 1920x1410px) Image search: [Google]
345345.jpg
183KB, 1920x1410px
>>55135116

WE ONE PIECE NOW!
>>
>>55137209
I think it's a solid card. 3/3 trample for 4 isn't that bad overall, and if your hand is empty then it's basically just a free drae with a slight chance at making it a 5/5.

It's a decent threat with a rather beneficial upside. I just think it won't see much play due to being mythic. If it were uncommon, it'd be a mediocre threat.
>>
>>55137170

It wouldn't be high on my list for draft targets, that's all I'm saying. You could argue it replaces itself at least, but given just how BIG a lot of the dinos are, I can't see a 3/3 body for four being anything but disappointing.
>>
>>55137258

what, drag on for 20 years on various Rescue X arcs while never going anywhere with the plot?
>>
>>55137309

was actually talking about the big ass fucking ship, but that works too
>>
>>55136827
Tribal Enrage trigger! I love it!
>>
>>55137282

>Fatally pushes your crew off the plank
:^)
>>
>>55137342
>Dies to removal

Hot argument, and it's still a benefit if you play it with an empty hand in that case, since it does -something- when it comes in.
>>
File: 1504106213050.jpg (225KB, 1200x882px) Image search: [Google]
1504106213050.jpg
225KB, 1200x882px
GRANNY
R
A
N
N
Y
>>
>>55136081
If humans can exist in all colors then so can merfolk, you tribalist scum.
>>
>>55137258
WTF is this.
>>
>>55137282
>3/3 trample for 4 isn't that bad overall
For that same 4 mana you can get any number of better creatures of things in standard right now.

To list a few, Skyship Stalker (3/3 flier with firebreathing, first strike and haste all being costed abilities on the card), Heart-Piercer Manticore (4/3 with a "You may" fling on ETB plus an enbalm ability), Hazoret the Fervent of course, Spontaneous Artist (3/3 that lets you pay E to give things haste) and Voldaren Duelist (3/2 haste that makes a creature unable to block on etb).

ALL of these are better than a 4 mana 3/3 trample that rarely becomes a 5/5 but more often makes you discard all your gas and leaves you with bad cards.
You want to play crew as a finisher when you played all your other good cards, but it has no immediate impact that brings you close to winning the game. All of the cards I listed did, either having haste or in the case of the manticore, just dealing damage on ETB.

Rowdy crew is unplayable garbage, if you want a 4 drop creature you're already spoilt for choice. And of course, this is forgetting that you could just be slamming Chandra for 4 mana and getting card draw AND burn on a stick.
>>
>>55137512
Only in the context that you aren't running any cards that benefit from being discarded or in the yard. Desperate Ravings was ran because of flashback, after all.

It isn't all downside.
>>
>>55137512
>discard your gas

The idea is to play him when you're out of gas, and put a threat on the board while drawing into something more helpful. Ideally, you'd also be playing it alongside the Amonkhet cards that want to be in your graveyard, so that evenly randomly discarding things you still get more benefit.

It's not the greatest 4 drop in standard, no. It probably shouldn't have been mythic, but it's a far cry from being as bad as you seem to think
>>
>>55137614
>Only in the context that you aren't running any cards that benefit from being discarded or in the yard.
There is also better discard outlets than a random discard on a 4 drop so it's really not that great. What exactly are you going to discard off him anyway? You normally want to CHOOSE when you want your madness cards discarded after all, so you can pay for them.
>>
>>55135116
>>55135396
Well, part of the set is set in Not!Mexico and there are vampires, soooo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM
>>
>>55137675
>The idea is to play him when you're out of gas,
You know what's better than playing a 4 mana 3/3 trample that effectively draws 1 card when you play it?
Playing an actual haste-d threat.
Again, tell me what cards you actually want to be throwing to the graveyard with him that are worth running a slow, almost always under-statted 4 drop.
>>
>>55137512
>>55137282

Rowdy Crew would actually be great if it was just Discard instead of Discard at random.

But I guess rummaging isn't Red enough, has to be random too.
>>
So what is the IRL reason that every time spoiler season rolls around the cards are always spoiled in a variety of different languages?
>>
>>55137771
It feels like the sort if card that was initially not random, got bumped to mythic for being too strong, and then got changed to random at the last second.
>>
File: IMG_1948.jpg (80KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1948.jpg
80KB, 312x445px
>>55137687
Fiery Temper? Maybe Avacyn's Madness?

I don't know. It would be better with flashback or Delirum instead of Madness. And the reason you might run it instead of a normal discard outlet like Hazoret is because with proper deck construction, you may be able to get a reliable 5/5 for 4.

It probably isn't good enough. I'm just saying it is not as bad as it seems at first glance.

Maybe a super aggressive deck with monored vamps and Hazoret could exist with this guy. I don't know if Standard runs Fumigate.
>>
>>55137820
Different sites/well known players are given the spoilers to post, some of these sites/players speak a different language primarily or have a mostly non-english userbase.
>>
>>55137830

Yeah, I imagine that's the case too. But Random just completely kills it as viable, which means I'll get two in my Prerelease packs and it'll be my "strongest" card.
>>
File: IMG_1949.jpg (84KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1949.jpg
84KB, 312x445px
>>55137752
You could run this card.
>>
>>55137845
>with proper deck construction, you may be able to get a reliable 5/5 for 4.
Unless your deck is "Oops, all lands" it will never be reliable.
>>
>>55137883

So you get a 3/4 Menace once?
>>
>>55137909
A 3/2 Menace lel.
>>
>>55137883
>running a sub-par 1 drop just to justify a sub-par 4 drop
Alright, so you play your 4 mana 3/3 to give +2/+0 to your 1 drop that you hope is still on board if you played it turn 1 like you should have, giving you 2 damage potential the turn you play it.

OR you could run any number of the 3+ power hasted 4 drops I posted above and get more damage out, more consistently.
>>
>>55137916

Oh right, it's not a straight up +1/+1.

Christ they fucked up Rowdy Crew.
>>
>>55137107
Every single year since 2009 has beentg's best year on record. Its shown up in state of design, blogatog and the hasbro shareholder yearly pdfs.
>>
>>55137890
Really? The chances are pretty high with 20 lands and 40 creatures.
>>
>>55136081
AL: Yes. So merfolk are the River Heralds, that is the name of their group. So they are people of the water. They wield the natural, raw force of nature to protect the world from disaster. They were once the dominant inhabitants of Ixalan with a large power of their own, and their strength was once enough to drive the Sun Empire out of the interior. Nowadays that the Sun Empire is a lot bigger and a lot more powerful, they live a more nomadic lifestyle. Powerful shamans can shape the rivers and jungles around them and they believe that this place that—no one really knows where it is—called the Golden City, houses the Immortal Sun and must be kept hidden from all, even themselves.

The merfolk in the set are visually striking; jade jewelry and weapons and armor. And their appearance is one of my favorite depictions of them in Magic. Their fins are colorful and bright like tropical freshwater fish and a lot of Ixalan, the continent’s, history is between the struggle of the merfolk and the humans who live there. Kind of like struggling against each other like who’s in charge, who’s not. Their history is pretty vast. I’m certain part of it will end up in the art book later, which you should totally buy because it’s really pretty, but yeah.

The Merfolk are the Maya to the Sun Empires Aztec. They literally want to find the lost City just to keep it hidden. Tribal shamanic nature natives. Green as fuck.
>>
>>55137931
You are probably right, but I can see a scenario where a 5/5 Trample is more likely to get through than a 3/3, even with Haste or Flying.

I don't know what kind of defensive creatures are seeing play.
>>
>>55136060

THIS
i really hope there are some good low tier dinos, cus it sucks that pirates and merfolk get some amazing synergy, but dinos are high cost niche...
>>
>>55138045
Yeah. There's a weird pack of synergy there. Almost all of the dinos are 4 mana minimum, but a lot of their effects are only good if you have an entire field full of creatures to take advantage of it.
>>
File: kinjallissunwing[1].jpg (48KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
kinjallissunwing[1].jpg
48KB, 265x370px
>>55138045
So far we've seen one CMC 4 and one CMC 3.
There are a lot of really small types of dinosaurs they could do, and the 2/3 shows they're not entirely unwilling to print on the lower side of p/t.

There's still a chance, basically.
>>
>>55138045
1-drop hatchlings that need to attack with other creatures/dinos.
Some Roc Egg type creature that "hatch" into tokens.
3-mana 2/2 fliers/first strikes or 3/2 tramples.
4-mana 5/5 like Ravnica 2.0's Golgari beetle. And that thing had an ability too.
Functional reprint of the Naya 5/4.

All these things would be nice, and I don't even care about dinos. I just don't want everything to be humanoid.
>>
>>55138224
A 0/1 egg that can't block and has an enrage ability to make a huge dino
>>
>>55138045
Hope vampire are not left behind. So far have seen little to none potential candidates for inclusion on Edgar. Really wish they had brought back Tribal spells just for this set.
Or that the Vampire Flagship had any synergy with them.
>>
>>55138224
I just want to be able to run WR dino series and have a mess of Raptors and Raptor riding warriors
>>
>>55138268
Tribal is dead because they messed it up both times and so now we can't have nice things.
>>
>>55138327
Tribal was Lorwyn and RoE, correct? I think many players were confused because of all the synergies and tribe matters in Lorwyn, but as far as my memory go, RoE's Tribal had little to no impact (only Eye of Ugin cared about non-creature Eldrazi)
>>
>>55138264
Ill be upset if this is not a card wizards
>>
>>55137507
The residents of Ixalan, to kind of go along with this, are technologically advanced. They make steel, they build immense cities, already have empires of their own. Their stories do not involve sacrifice, getting duped by invaders, or any other tired trope like that. Instead, we wanted to give them a quest of their own. The invaders are a delightfully thin metaphor here in the form of vampire conquistadors, and those that invade here lack the weapons and diseases that our true history had. Instead, the vampires, the Legion of Dusk, sail on cathedral-like ships from the east and arrive to a hot, humid jungle, in very clammy armor, driven by religious fervor to reclaim a relic stolen from them centuries before.
>>
>>55138327
>>55138425
They tried it in Innistrad initially and the only things that cared about it were like Elite Inquisitor, Ghoulcaller's Chant, and Unbreathing Horde. Without building a bunch of shit around it, like Champion, it barely comes up at all, and the stuff they tried building around it in Lorwyn didn't end up playing very well.
>>
>>55138264
It'd need to be a 0/2 at least or the Enrage ability isn't going to do much.
>>
>>55138425
It basically boils down to 2 major aspects that were wrong with it. Firstly, that the name, flavor, and effect of the card have to relate to that tribe more directly.

For an example of the first failing, you have Tarfire. There's nothing overly Goblin-y about it, and the only thing that helps Goblin tribal is the fact that it says Goblin under its types. If instead, it had been 'Boggart Flame - ~ deals 2 damage to target creature/player. If you control a Goblin, ~ deals 1 damage to each player', then that suddenly becomes more immediately obvious that it's a Goblin spell. It has a name related to goblins, and it cares about Goblins on its own.

The second factor comes in with Eldrazi, which is where you make the card very flavorfully a spell of that creature type, as all the Eldrazi spells were huge, expensive, and colorless. However, the trap they fell into the second time was that they put it in a set where tribal didn't matter. There weren't enough cards that cared about Eldrazi to have the trubal typing make sense.

So that's the things you need, a flavorful name, a tribe-relevant effect, and a tribal-matters set or faction.

For an example of a card that would have been perfect as tribal, I would point to Draconic Roar. It has a Dragon-related name. It has a Dragon-related effect. The set had some dragon-tribal going on already.

That's the sort of situation where it makes sense to include, but because the designers couldnt grasp that we're stuck with it being 'too confusing' because they only ever used it in confusing ways.
>>
>>55138505
>missingthepoint.jpg
>>
>>55138559
The point is that it would die before its ability resolved? So, what, it was meant as a bad joke?
>>
>>55138505
A 0/2 1-drop that gets +1/+1 counters, and a 0/1 3-drop "nest" that drops 3/3s, so if you can buff the nest you can get more babies.

>>55138275
Here's hoping.
>>
>>55138578
The ability would still resolve. The huge dino would come in the form of an token.
>>
>>55138592
So it's just a harder to use Dragon Egg then.
>>
>>55138592
Transform is in the set, so an egg that transforms into a big dino is probably more likely than token shenanigans.
>>
>>55138641
They've stated that all transform in the set has lands on the backside.
>>
>>55138678
Big Dinosaur land when?
Dryad Arbor style dinosaur with trees on its back.
>>
File: 250px-389Torterra.png (69KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-389Torterra.png
69KB, 250x250px
>>55138703
>>
>>55138719
Flip would fix the inherent problem with printing 0-cost creatures. No fetching them or cheating them into play with white or green.
>>
>>55138770
The only issue might be having a dinosaur you want to attack with but also want to tap for mana.
Maybe if they printed one with Vigilance.
>>
>>55136827
Rampaging gladiodon

"Carnivore dinosaurs developed a certain taste for undead flesh, tracking vampires through the smell of blood in their breath"
>>
>>55138794
>Dinosaur that's so big it is also a mountain

I want it.
>>
>>55138525
Yes, there are several spells that beg to be called Tribal. Go for the Thoat is one of the most apparent in my opinion.
However, does every spell with Vampiric, Draconic suddenly become a tribal spell with corresponding type? I think it would make tribal decks more fun with interactions like Edgar does already with Tribal Changeling spells like Crib Swap and Nameless Inversion.
>>
>>55136868
Honestly Raiding Party was the least of your worries if you were playing against a decent red deck back in the day. The amount of burn you could stock back then was insane.
>>
>>55138913
Tribal would have been fine if they entire game were built with it. The issue ends up being either printing it very piecemeal where appropriate, like All is Dust, and people wondering why it doesn't really matter that much, or printing it everywhere and constantly having to make cards that care enough for it to actually do something.
>>
>>55138913
Go for the throat alternate art isn't vampiric at all, it was more of a phyrexia thing.
>>
>>55138913
>>55139026
That is also a concern. Tribal makes it harder for them to reprint cards outside of Masters or Supplemental sets without it being a bit awkward.
>>
>>55138956
Yeah it winds up being a lot of extra text that matters very rarely.

Other games have every card type have subtypes by default, so like "Burn Tribal" is a possible thing.
>>
>>55138794
Vigilance would work. Maybe if they also printed a mana dork that worked by untapping a land?
>>
>>55138913
I think spells that make tokens should at least be tribal for whatever type of creature they make.
I just want something nice like using Rattlechains to flash spirit tokens.
>>
>>55139058
That's why it's important that the flavor and effect of the tribal card match. If you make an elf tribal card with an elf name that makes elf tokens, then you're only going to reprint it in blocks with elf tribal anyway
>>
>>55139073
There's been discussion and they've said that the other direction they'd consider if they had a time machine to go and make it part of the game from the start would be Instant and Sorcery types, like Searing Spear being Instant - Fire and Lightning Strike being Instant - Lightning.
>>
>>55139073
So what happened? Let's flashback to Innistrad design. As I was doing a set with a tribal theme, I used the tribal card type wherever I could. Moan of the Unhallowed, for example, was a tribal sorcery – Zombie. The problem was that it's very hard to draw the line. If a set uses tribal then it wants to go on any card that has a definable flavor. As this set is top-down, that meant that a majority of the noncreature cards were using the tribal card type.

The end result was that the cards were getting wordier but it seldom mattered. Most tribal (theme) cards cared about creatures and so weren't applicable to be tribal (type) cards. The one big exception was Zombies as there are multiple ways to get Zombie cards out of the graveyard, thus I believe the reason that I keep getting asked the question on this card.

We playtested with tribal, and I kept getting the same note that it seldom seemed to matter. In the end, we made the call that it wasn't adding enough to the game play to offset its inclusion, which both made the cards wordier and caused more confusion.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/149685430358/why-did-tribal-stop-being-used

http://podbay.fm/show/580709168/e/1417018500?autostart=1
>>
>>55139141
What would have also been a good improvement from square 1 would be making Instant a supertype, so you can have an Instant Creature rather than giving it Flash
>>
File: 83[1].jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
83[1].jpg
69KB, 312x445px
>>55139178
MaRo has said he would make that change with a time machine if he could too.

The only trouble there would be Instant Legendary Creature - Human Wizard.
>>
>>55139177
They should start making tribal anyway, if they did, slowly there'd be enough tribal cards to creature decks with fun synergy. They could even make functional reprints of cards which only add Tribal to what they do and slowly replace them given enough time.
>>
>>55139178
I think i would just make flash a keyword that goes on spells and creatures.
>>
>>55139178
>>55139258
>>55139286
If you were doing it from the start, you could just have it where "Flash" is the Supertype. So then you'd have Flash Legendary Creature - Human Wizard, which would save a lot of space. Flash Sorcery sounds as good as Instant Sorcery.
>>
>>55139320
It takes up a lot of the type line. I reslly think Id just keep it a keyword. It also takes away a shared keyword between UG creatures and those aree not super common either.
>>
>>55139124
Thaat was kinda what happend witb ISD. But its a snowball, you cant just make a couple cards tribal, and the rulws dont let you spell it out.

Theres so few noncreature spells that tribal would be worth it for, its not worth the rules baggage and reprint issues. Let alone the art issue. Remeber the bullshot of BFZ allies?

Almost all spell art will feature on of the tribes casting the spell, if they were doing tribal you would have shit like

>Merfolk countering a spell
Not a merfolk spell
>Merfolk shooting vines
Somehow a merfolk spell
>>
>>55139286
>>55139178

a special flash symbol in the type line or near name > flash/instant as supertype > flash in the text box of sorceries and permanent > instant type and flash in the text box of permanents.
>>
>>55139358
You have to print it on so many things though. Literally every instant that exists right now, for starters.
>>
>>55139279
Tribal the type only makes sense in a tribal set

You would have to make almost all the cards of that set tribal the type and most of the time it would be trinket text.

Its going thru lots of work for very little payoff.
>>
>>55139358
Hexproof.

Two colors really only need one keyword overlap at common. Several have extra, but its not an issue that say, G and W only share Vigilance.
>>
>>55139478
>>55139358
The real problem child is Dimir. There's not an evergreen UB creature mechanic that's the easy go-to like, for instance, Lifelink in WB. Closest is Flying, but UW called dibs.
>>
>>55139026
Honestly, I can't imagine something more vampiri-esc than "Go for the throat". But addressing your point, both arts have a Mephidross Vampire which are native of Mirrodin. These kind of vampire have their "fangs" on their knuckles, kinda like wolverine.
>>
>>55139380
There are too many cards that specifically say "do something to target elf creature" instead of elf permanent or spell, so they seem hellbent on not allowing tribal cards to happen. But you can be sure we'd have a lot more options if those cards were upgraded to include all cards containing the tribal name. There is no reason why cavern of souls shouldn't affect all cards of a certain tribe, for example.
>>
With the Conquistadores theme, is it time for a Smallpox reprint in standard?
>>
>>55140249
see >>55138471
>those that invade here lack the weapons and diseases that our true history had
>>
>>55139543
They tried Skulk, but it didn't catch on. Closest evergreen thing UB has is "unblockable", but even then the vast majority of that stuff is on blue creatures. Then again Vigilance is mostly White with Green being a minor secondary.
Maybe if they gave them "Scrylink"? Most UB creatures have low power, so it wouldn't be too oppressive.
>>
>>55140344
Skulk also had the issue of being worthless on big creatures. Lifelink on a 1/1 or on a 6/6 is great. Skulk on a 6/6, not so much.
>>
>>55140344
The hard thing with a sort of Scrylink would be that you couldn't put it on big creatures without making them way more pricey, and that pump spells become a lot more dangerous. Along with that, it's a keyword that doesn't stack well if you have multiples. I mean, if you get to Scry 1 twice, 2 once, and 3 once, you're not getting that much more than if you had just done 3
>>
>>55140344
>>55140468
>>55140502
I feel like what they need is a sort of 'hand size master's mechanic, but something that doesn't scale too harshly. Something that rewards you for playing Blue draw or Black discard by buffing your creatures in some way. A simple +1/+1 while you have the most cards in hand could work, but also has the potential to just be boring and overcosted.
>>
>>55140566
We already have cards that do that and they always have the same issue where you actually want to play the things you have in hand every time unless you're using them reactively or trying to avoid overextending.
>>
>>55140468
More specifically, the desin space is really small. Skulk stops really work by like 3 power. To be evergeeen you gotta have a lot of design space
>>55140566
They've said they don't like handsize matters because it discourages people from playing cards so its not something Id expect to see as an every set thing.
>>
>>55140566
That's not something that sounds like it could realistically be evergreen.
>>
>>55135396
>Jace's mindbreak wipes out his entire personality
>It's replaced by the personality of Joseph Joestar
>>
>>55140344
What if there were some keyword like this?

>Loot (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may put a card from your hand onto the bottom of your library. If you do, draw a card)

The problem with it though is it doesn't really affect combat compared to something like Flying or Trample.
>>
File: en_q5ePSq2ZwS.png (178KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_q5ePSq2ZwS.png
178KB, 265x370px
Why is this a story card? The vraska one i get. But why this
>>
File: t3_6x1l4l.jpg (31KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
t3_6x1l4l.jpg
31KB, 265x370px
>>55135116

FRESH
>>
>>55141027
Did you even read the damn flavor text? The card tells us that Vraska's activities are caused by or related to Bolas, and that he's fucking her over.

>>55140883
So whenever things don't work out Jace just planeswalks away?
>>
>>55141135
I did not. Man i feel silly. Whelp, guess the story revolves around vraska (and her shirtless manservant jace)?
>>
>>55140884
That's kind of a Red thing (discard and draw). Black is usually draw and bleed.
The things Blue and Black share are:
>looking at/revealing opponents' hands
>mill
>gravescry (looking at top cards in library, putting any of them in graveyard and rest on top in any order)
>reducing creature power (and toughness for black)
>>
>>55141135
>Bolas, and that he's fucking her over
The card said Vraska blundered. Without other context Bolas gave Vraska a magical compass and Vraska didn't bother to look up from it. That sounds like her fault.

>>55141122
Fine for sealed.
>>
>>55137830
I can just see the comments section in the eventual database article.
First it was you always get the counters, and the discards were your choice. Maybe it was a 4/4. And because this is development we're talking about, this was OBVIOUSLY a strong card they jammed in everything and centered their internal meta around.
Then they made the cards share a type. Then came the at random. They still play it because ITS OBVIOUSLY THE BEST CARD and etc etc.
>>
>>55141265
It literally says she carefully followed the compass. Im more inclined to believe, since we know the River Heralds know the general area but not the exact location of Orazca, that they just had a trap waiting for anybody going there.
>>
>>55140883
>>55141135
I am 5004% ok with this. He could even do the "Next you're going to say..." bit with mind reading.
>>
Card that I want to exist, but won't.

Shortfuse Grenadier R

Creature - Goblin Pirate Uncommon

Haste
Enrage - Whenever Shortfuse Grenadier is dealt damage it deals 3 damage to you.

"How is a goblin like a grenade?" - Captain Jack Stormcrow
2/1
>>
>>55141669
>Enrage on a not-Dinosaur
>Slightly worse Goblin Guide at Uncommon

I'm glad you aren't on card design
>>
>>55135838
I for one welcome our new merfolk overlords in standard.
But seriously have pirates or vamps even gotten anything close to the shit that merfolk are getting? Dinos have the big mythic guy which works well with them so I hope pirates "big win" isn't the grandma.

Vamps look the weakest which sucks, especially since the token wincon is rotating.
>>
>>55141122
So the archtypes so far are

GW: Fat ass dinos
UB: Treasure/Artifact Pirates
BR: Pirate aggro
RG: Enrage Dinos
UR: Raid pirates
WB: Lifegain Vampires
>>
>>55139869
The design space for byffs to non creature cards with creature types is pretyy small.

Cast triggers, tutor/recursion maybe hexproof.

Like what the heck are you gonna do to a merfolk aura?

Very few Lord effects even make sense for noncreatures.
>>
>>55142245
Literally the new Legendary Merfolks lord from Ixalan would benefit Merfolk Enchantments.
>>
>>55142162
Vamps seem to be more focused on token spamming than lifelink, no actual synergy with lifelink just token synergy in which the tokens happen to say lifelink on them.
>>
>>55142245
A lot of lords have effects that'd be useful, simple cost reduction like Zombie warchief, giving your enchantments hexproof like drogskol captain, more mana with elvish archdruid and so on.
>>
What's the last sexually explicit card printed?
>>
File: Image.ashx.png (138KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.png
138KB, 223x311px
>>55142378
If that's the case, I'll find use for this dude
>>
I need more sexy vampires.
>>
>>55142639
If you have those then hoard the FUCK out of them.
>>
>>55137309
>I hate adventure
>t. anon
What a sad person.

Did you say the same while watching Riders of the lost ark?
>>
>>55137402
Post card pls.
>>
>>55136003
That's a pretty swole dragon
>>
>>55139258
Teferi is a nigger?
Dropped.
>>
I know it means blue but what does the U stand for?
>>
>>55137080
I'm already sitting on Mardu Reanimator, Rakdos -1/-1 counters and New Perspectives. Probably just going to build Dino Tribal for EDH using the cat deck as a base and maybe add some new good tech to my existing decks.
>>
>>55143068
The ink for blue cards is listed as U because B is black because it comes before blue alphabetically. At least that's what I remember being told.
>>
>>55143068
>>55143121
The u is for Usland
>>
>>55143068
blUe
Black
U is the first different letter, and and A in black come before U in blue alphabetically.
>>
>>55143121
>>55143144
Oh.
>>
>>55142953
>not knowing he's black

Where have you been the past 20 years?
>>
>>55143193
On another plane. Duh.
>>
>>55142162
Raid is in Black too and white Dino's have enrage.

It's Naya Dino's, Grixis Pirates, Blue/Green Merfolk, and White/Black Vampires.
>>
File: 321654484847.jpg (15KB, 233x216px) Image search: [Google]
321654484847.jpg
15KB, 233x216px
>want to make a treasure deck control with that enchantment wincon at 10 shekels
>will probably be to slow or whacky for 'ME SMASH FACE XD' meta

Eh. At least I'll have some fun in casual I guess...?
>>
>>55142719
As in don't even use them?
>>
>>55137080
ancestral visioning and then hymn to touraching yourself isn't a good deal; one is a broke 1 mana positive and the other is a less broke 2 mana negative; it's a net wash. The odds of actually getting your 5/5 for 4 aren't great, and getting a 3/3 out of this bizarre deal isn't adequate compensation.
>>
Are the tribes Alara shards?
>>
>>55144096
Not exactly. The Dino empire is Naya and the Pirates are Grixis, but the Merfolk and Vamps are UG and WB, respectively.
>>
>>55142378
>Similar to Merfolk, the Vampires in this set don't have a named keyword. Rather, their strategy revolves around the manipulation of life. If you choose to serve the Legion, you'll find yourself paying life for powerful effects, regaining that life via lifelink and other abilities, and ultimately draining the life from your foes.
>>
>>55144096
UG Merfolk
BW Vampistadors
Grixis Pirates
Naya Dinos
>>
>>55138200
>Pterosaur
>Feathered Dinosaur
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>55143121
>>55143144
It's actually because every letter but K is taken in Black.
>Black
>Land
>Artifact
>Colorless
>K

So they let Black keep the B and used U for Blue. Amusingly enough K is actually the color used in printing to denote Black, as seen in CMYK, for similar reasons.
>>
>>55143331
I am talking about the draft archtypes.

The three color ones have overlap for them to work.

Notice how the treasure side of the pirate cards leans more to the UB and the aggro side leands more to the BR.
>>
>>55144122
Was gonna complain about asymmetry but each colour belongs to two different group this way.

Good job, WotC.
I like it.
>>
>>55144128
Here’s the problem. Flying prehistoric creatures like pterodactyls aren’t technically Dinosaurs. The majority of people though don’t know that and believe, in fact, that they are Dinosaurs.
So we had two choices:
#1) Make the flying creatures in the Dinosaur faction not Dinosaurs. It educates players about actual science, but causes tribal issues for the Dinosaurs and upsets a large chunk of players.
#2) Make the flying creatures Dinosaurs. It helps the Dinosaur deck play better and matches expectation of the majority of players but upsets those that know it’s technically inaccurate.
In the end, we chose to go with the latter as it would make more players happy and aided gameplay.
>>
>>55144199
Yeah, it worked out nicely. Plus there's probably going to be a decent amount of cross tribal. Dinosaurs in particular might be handy to vamps, merfolk, or pirates in the respective colors to have some big late game bomb or fatty
>>
>>55144128
>draw a whatever the fuck
>call it a beast
>>
>>55144122
What colors are the orcs so far? Ive seen black and red ones.

I hope they get enough love to qualify as tribal this set.
>>
File: return of the dinosauroid.png (6MB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
return of the dinosauroid.png
6MB, 900x1273px
>>55144214
I understand, I'm just being pendantic.
>>
>>55144428
I doubt they will with the other tribal going on. I think theyll also stick to those colors, mainly as pirats.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
I love that we are getting ships as vehicles, even though everything is pretty weak so far. Hopefully there's some rare or mythic boats that just weren't in the leaks.

It is also really weird to have vehicle as a card type now, especially as there are so many old cards that could be considered vehicles.

I began playing Magic back during Mercadian Masques and Weatherlight, which had LOTS of boats and airships back in the day. my absolute favorite card, for no reason other than the art, was the Rishidan Airship. I loved the brightly painted pirate blimp.
>>
>>55145423
It was same with equipment.

Before they designed the mechanic they had a lot of weird top down designs for weapons and armor
>>
File: 1102275.jpg (11KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1102275.jpg
11KB, 300x225px
Going to buy two Deck Builder Tool Kits to play with my fiancee when this comes out. Commander decks and kitchen table are too much of a system shock for a non-gamer. I do have to admit, I'm excited to play Magic like middle school again with commons and uncommons.
>>
>>55144126
Yet we've not seen a single card that supports the lifelink, even in the leaked sheet of the highest rarity cards.
I can however point out plenty of cards that already support the token spam gameplan.

Believe wizards if you want but they also had to errata the new pirate A MONTH before it's even out because somehow they printed thousands of copies of it and playtested it for months without seeing it's an infinite loop IN ONE CARD.
>>
>>55147112
I anticipate more, but you're right. Vampires
Are favoring a Numbers Game more than lifelink, but it wouldn't take much to change that and we have many more cards to be spoiled.
>>
I've drafted a few times with friends in the past but Amonkhet was the first sealed event I did and I've done a few for both it and HoD and I have to say Ixalan looks like a really fun set to play sealed.
>>
I still like cats more but dinos are cool too.
>>
>>55147112
Hey, it could be worse.
Remember Marath? and how they announced the card errata AT THE SAME TIME as the actual card? You'd think they'd try and reprint it in something too to get the new text out on paper but no
>>
>>55147112
>because somehow they printed thousands of copies of it and playtested it for months without seeing it's an infinite loop IN ONE CARD

Or they playtested it as intended and just handed in a card with a typo when they sent it to print. Wouldn't be the first time.
>>
>>55141721
>Card rarity has anything to do with power level
He probably already is on the design team. Also that card is a lot more than just slightly worse than goblin guide.
>>
>>55145602
Get any deck builder tool kits than the Amonkeht ones.
>>
>>55148417
They don't test fro constructed, only limited
That's why we have 5 fucking cards banned in Standard right now
>>
>three kingdoms with dragons
>artifact pajeetland
>we wuz kangs oh shit bolas run
hmm what cool plane could we possibly have next, i know
>PIRATES AND DINOSAURS

10/10 worldbuilding right there
>>
>>55144128

That thing however is not a pterosaur. It has feathers, and all feathered animals are dinosaurs.

Now yes I'll freely admit that it looks exactly like a pteranadon that someone slapped feathers onto, but that's not an argument for it actually being a pterosaur, anymore than pointing out that an Opthalmasaur looking just like a dolphin makes it a mammal.
>>
>>55138045

>most dinosaurs would have been small, since smaller species tend to be more numerous
>No small dinosaurs showing up

It's frustrating.
>>
>>55150064
Well, we did get that one card spoiled that was a big batch of small dinos, but even that's effectively just another fatty
>>
>>55135896
You wouldn't happen to live in NEPA, would you? I've heard this statement a lot at my flgs but I honestly believe the store is dying for other reason
>>
>>55147112
Theres a hold vampire legend that everyone keeps forgetting, including wizards since they didnt formally reveal it with the other leaked rares, that had a life payment to do something, vindicate iirc. Also Sanguine Sacrement and the enchantment where you gain life when a thing dies
>>
>>55138045
Apparently, the small bodies/CMC from the Dinosaur faction are humanoids
>>
>>55150484
Mark said there would be low cmc dinosaurs (in a very condescending way I might add), but this was my thought too based on the tutor dude
>>
>>55150001
>I'm going to describe planes with only a few words, what informations could we possibly lose?
>>
>>55147112
Which pirate? Also, mythic vampire when?
>>
>>55149923
They do test for constructed. What they didn't test for was this Super Standard we're currently in. They only left BfZ in rotation because of players complaining, it was meant to have fallen out already.
>>
>>55150503
>(in a very condescending way I might add)
What? Show me what he said.
Fuck Mark honestly
>>
>>55150503
That doesn't bode well overall if we're not going to get any cheap stuff. I mean, I get that they want dinos to be a big stompy tribe, but this isn't a case like Giants where it's impossible to effectively have a small one.
>>
Fuck these stupid feathered dinosaurs. If the smithsonian says its a bunch of bullshit why try to pretend you're being accurate?
>>
>>55150837
The feathers make them look more colorful, so I don't mind in this case. The T-rex is slightly feathered and he still looks rad.
Fuck people that want to turn dinos into chickens though.
>>
>>55150745
Not that guy, but here:
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/164813878773/will-there-be-dinosaurs-in-the-lower-part-of-the

I mean, I guess you can read it condescendingly, but that wasn't the impression I got at all.
>>
>>55150837
A few feathers here and there is fine. I like it from the perspective of the Aztec motif, and it does give them more to work with.

I do feel like they should have just called it a stylistic choice though. Better than trying to get in a debate over feathered dinosaurs, especially with the fanbase who is probably gonna be just as divided on if it's scientific or not.
>>
File: dino-feather-1[1].jpg (778KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
dino-feather-1[1].jpg
778KB, 1000x750px
>>55150837
The last I heard about the feathers was the discovery of the feathered tail preserved in amber seeming to prove they existed. Could you source your reference?
>>
>>55150896
Eh, on my first read it does sound rather smarmy. Like, "of course there are small dinosaurs, duh," as though the person asking the question doesn't know that.

Not quite as condescending, but he said it pretty flatly instead of seeming excited over it.
>>
>>55150917
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/t-rex-skin-was-not-covered-feathers-study-says-180963603/
I said the smithsonian for a reason, some species of dinos had feathers but not all of them. Speculation on half truths and proclaming them to be scientific fact makes wotc look retarded.
>>
>>55151091
>There was, however, at least one massive tryannosaur that had feathers.
>>
>>55151120
>The Yutyrannus
A subspecies thats not representative of the main species. Thats like saying you saw a lumpfish once so no fish have ever had scales, or all reptiles have shells because you saw a turtle, or every human is black because you've only seen an african.
>>
>>55151266
I don't see "Tyrannosaurus Rex" on any of the cardnames.
>>
File: op_will_surely_deliver.jpg (61KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
op_will_surely_deliver.jpg
61KB, 600x450px
>Still waiting on that Vraska spoiler
I hope it's not shitty like her first card.
>>
>>55151317
This one is not a Duel Deck version, so I have hope.
There's also a chance we get 2, since PW decks are still a thing they make every set.
>>
>>55151412
10:1 odds the Planeswalker decks are Jace and Vraska.
1:10 odds either of them will be any good.
>>
>>55151431
Of course they'll be terrible, but it usually means that the original in the set is decent. I'm guessing deck Vraska will be a Raid enabler.
>>
>>55136081

Everything in this set has more or less been colour shifted somewhat with mechanics and creature types.
>>
>>55151622
Which is funny since they have a Council of Colors now which oversees things fitting in the color pie.
>>
>>55151686

I mean it's not the first time they've willingly colour shifted mechanics and stuff into other colours. Right now in the Ixalan set they've got flash on some black creatures.
>>
>>55150837
Curb your autism, shlomo.
>>
>>55150837

>Aztec themed giant lizards have feathers

Stop. the. presses.
>>
>>55150001
Remove the Inventions from Kaladesh (cards which you can find one of each 4 boosters) and the set is liquid shit.
>>
>>55150837
>>55151091
Wait, Wizards is saying dinos had feathers?
>>
>Torrezon
>As in Torrezon de Ardoz from Spain
Vampires are Spain?
>>
>>55151431
>>55151464
Now that the Planeswalker uniqueness rule is out, is there really any point in having the planeswalker decks be the same as the ones in the set since the whole point in keeping them the same was so that you wouldn't have two extra walkers for standard?
>>
>Old world are a group of white decadent bloodsucking monsters that want to destroy and conquer the poor natives of the new world
mmmm
>>
>>55152152
*that want to stop the natives of the new world from bringing the apocalypse
And they're not decadent either, they seem to be a highly religious order, with their ships being giant cathedrals and their heirachy being priests and clergymen that routinely fast themselves from blood like a monk might.
How is fasting decadent?
>>
>>55152134
The point is money, you should know this.
PW decks are for completionists since it has exclusives and beginners that want a shiny PW. The decks are literally designed to not matter in the set.
>>
File: 1500394104204.jpg (90KB, 567x800px) Image search: [Google]
1500394104204.jpg
90KB, 567x800px
>"Let's just announce a set about fucking pirates and dinosaurs and stuff it full of cards depicting strong independent wimenz and feminine fuckboys for no reason at all."
>>
>>55152152
They only suck the blood of evil people though.
Conquistapires are the hoeroes of this set.
>>
>>55135126
>>55135194

>5 mana
>No evasion
>Only 4/6
>Crew 2

Dude, it is almost like a vanilla creature with vigilance with the penalty of needing to tap a creature. It is shit compared to Aethersphere Harverster, Heart of Kiran and Fleetwheel Cruiser. Even Renegade Freigther, a common, is sexier than this ship.
>>
>>55152205
It does look rad though.
>>
>>55152202
>Evil people
No, they suck the blood of their enemies and those who don't follow their religion, that doesn't necesarily means evil
>>
>>55145602
I'm waiting for Ixalan, this thread had got me excited.
>>
>>55152103
Are you blind, illiterate, uneducated, or all three?
>>
>>55152254
>he doesn't follow the true religion
>>
>>55152283
But vampires in this set are white, and Spain isn't white
>>
>>55152152
>spamming the same shitpost across threads because you're not getting enough (you)s
>>
>>55152295
Vampires aren't real anon
>>
Really hoping for a solid 1 or 2 drop shaman piece to breathe some life into modern shamans.
>>
>>55152520
I've never seen someone play Shamans.
>>
>>55152520
>Wanting more fuel for a collected company meme deck
I hope you get cancer
>>
>>55141122
I WANNA hug THAT PIRATE
>>
>>55152152
The Legion of Dusk isn't on Ixalan to conquer; one of their relics was stolen by pirates and they're trying to retrieve it.
>>
>>55152205
You gotta remember vehicles make most/all creatures you top deck into hasty dudes effectively. This one for example makes your pikers and up into hasty 4/5s which is quite fine. I think this is the part wizards didnt quite grasp the first time, since neesing to tap a creature or two to attack is a downside and they focused on costing it around that. But being immune to a chunk of removal and also continuously making every top deck creature into a threat is a real thing.
>>
File: Gishath, Sun's Avatar.jpg (373KB, 1440x1058px) Image search: [Google]
Gishath, Sun's Avatar.jpg
373KB, 1440x1058px
>>55152193
Replying to bait aside, just play Dinosaurs. They give zero fucks about gender politics and all the fucks about crushing the pathetic masses who care about this shit.

Hail Based Gishath
>>
>>55153480
I just noticed he had a shooting target on his chest.
>>
I thought Wizard said that they wouldnt just go full tribes.
but this seem that will be a tribe battle
some people also say how merfolks will be a pain in the ass.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>Aztec themed plane (or at least, part of a plane)
>No coatls (yet...)

I dunno if it would be overdoing it with all the recent Gods, but I'd love to see them awaken an angry snake god in part 2.
>>
>>55153808
How so?
>>
>>55151622
Creature types always get at least two colors in tribal sets. This shit goes back to Strad and Lorynmoor

Mechanics are fine, any color can get flash if the card needs it for the effecet to work, Green and Blue just get them the most and at common, white the second most at uncommom and up and the rest as needed.
>>
>>55153808
When did they say that? I mean, it is a top down set like Innistrad, Tribal is expected.

So far we don't really have a cohesive identity besides that like graveyard matters was in Innistrad. We got some treasure stuff, some land stuff, vehicle stuff and enrage.
>>
>>55153480
That's the spirit. Besides, nothing except the amount of titties on display has changed. Jace was always a lean squishy boy, football player card art aside.
>>
File: kopalawardenofwaves1.jpg (53KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
kopalawardenofwaves1.jpg
53KB, 265x370px
>>55154096
I think it was in a presentation to the GDC, saying something like "If we make tribal to heavy on a set, players end up playing all the best cards of a tribe on it, and not trying to do something else" or something like that...

>>55153928
granted, the people i have hearing this are really few, but they fear that melforks will get supper buff and they also have cards that make them hard to remove as well.
>>
File: heraldofsecretstreams.jpg (44KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
heraldofsecretstreams.jpg
44KB, 265x370px
>>55154194
but maybe I remember wrong the GDC talk.

And also maybe the people saying all thouse things about Melforks are just plain wrong and dont know what are they talking about
>>
File: DIkRqQdWsAISSeX.jpg (25KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
DIkRqQdWsAISSeX.jpg
25KB, 265x370px
>>55135116
>>
>>55153843
You know they'll be nagas, anon. Accept the pain now, it'll be easier.
>>
>>55144214
>no one bothered to consider using exclusively proto-birds like Archaeopteryx and drop pterosaurs entirely
>>
>>55154194
The single G merfolk that gets +1/+1 if you control another merfolk or a island is the best merfolk card released so far though.
>>
>>55154537
The average Joe thinks Plesiosaurs and Pterosaurs are dinosaurs, when you say flying dinos they think Pterosaurs, not Archaeopteryx or its kin and considering WotC is taking the Hollywood approach to world-building you shouldn't be surprised at what they did.
>>
>>55154537
This is one of those situations like with Kamigawa where the correct option isn't necessarily the accurate option. The average person probably thinks of pterosaurs as dinosaurs and is expecting to see them in the dinosaur set. Satisfying the average person is a better move than being right sometimes, unfortunately.
>>
>>55154581
>>55154591
This isn't me disagreeing with you, I'm not the same anon that started this line of discussion either. I'm just surprised that with the way that internal discussion went, it didn't even come up as an option.

It won't be hard to headcanon that the "pterosaurs" of Ixalan are just actual dinosaurs with a passing resemblance anyway.
>>
File: oldgrowthdryads.jpg (50KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
oldgrowthdryads.jpg
50KB, 265x370px
how bad are this girls?
>>
File: 1499829670319.png (300KB, 600x568px) Image search: [Google]
1499829670319.png
300KB, 600x568px
>>55153480
I could also just skip this block as I did with the Amonkangz block. Seriously, how do you even manage to fuck up "Pirates and Dinosaurs" this badly? If they don't tone it down a notch with the blatant sjw pandering, and continue to alienate the vast majority of their customer base, the game will be dead before too long, anyway.
>inb4 back to /pol/
Not even one of those people, I'd simply rather buy cards with appealing art instead of gross feminists on them.
>>
>>55154895
Very
>>
>>55154895
It's a bad Wild Nacatl.
Domesticated Nacatl.
>>
>>55154922
Go back to your animu waifu cardgame then faggot
>>
>>55154934
>>
File: sexy.png (821KB, 1001x466px) Image search: [Google]
sexy.png
821KB, 1001x466px
>>55154949
>>55154922
I may suggest this one with waifus, husbandos and fatbandos
>>
File: Nikoru Boras.jpg (120KB, 450x628px) Image search: [Google]
Nikoru Boras.jpg
120KB, 450x628px
>>55154949
As if Magic isn't littered with waifus, some of which are animu (Current Chandra/NIssa, Tamiyo/any other moonfolk)
>>
>>55154922
>dinosaurs
Giant lizards, as depicted.
>pirates
Disgusting seafarers that smell as bad as hey look and probably carry disease, as depicted.

What am I missing? Is Wizards taking tits away really the cause of all this "SJWs are ruining Magic" talk? Magic always had unattractive women, waifus-for-ants, and stronk-independent-females. Go have a wank and come back to discuss merfolk, feathers, and vampire tokens with us.
>>
>>55155095
I thought people complain was that they make black afro pirate womans....
which is completly dumb to care about.
>>
File: Raamaa.jpg (309KB, 520x717px) Image search: [Google]
Raamaa.jpg
309KB, 520x717px
>>55154949
>Go back to your animu waifu cardgame then faggot
How about I go back to my cyberpunk megacorp cardgame with waifus.
>>
>>55155269
It is. One of the most well received Magic characters is from notAfrica, in a school of white people, as a wizard. Not a shaman or a witch doctor, a white-people wizard.

We have a made up world with orcs and merfolk on boats but Afros aren't allowed?

>>55154934
>gives your opponent an immediate advantage
Traitorous Nacatl
>>
>>55155396
Is that a man with a yellow fish for a head in her harem, or is it a giraffe person?
>>
File: Incarnate_Neonate-0.jpg (338KB, 520x717px) Image search: [Google]
Incarnate_Neonate-0.jpg
338KB, 520x717px
>>55155448
Gene-modded human. Game is Megacorp, found out about it from Rudy's video on it.
If Ixilan doesn't redeem itself really quick with this spoiler season I might drop it for this.
>>
>>55155497
Either way I'll remember this one.
>>
Are there no spoilers today?

>>55155396
>>55155497
I'm on to you, Rudy.
>>
>>55154544
>Splash to a shit color
No.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.