[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dark Sun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 10

File: Dark_sun_logo.png (188KB, 600x239px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_sun_logo.png
188KB, 600x239px
So I'm about to embark upon Athas for the first time. What should I expect? What should I exploit?
>>
File: Dark-Sun-Psionics.jpg (114KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Sun-Psionics.jpg
114KB, 800x400px
>>55132736
That this godly setting won't support a general sadly. I think slavery and embracing the "other" estetics are important motifs to the setting. It's not our usuall desert setting.

Also, pack rations. If you do not die because of miscalculated amount of water when you fuck up, someone is GMing wrong. Damned waterskins getting damaged in the fight all the time. Also be sure to make every mage afraid of potential lynching, so they may live longer. Morals of the public differ strongly from the aligment system. Athas good guy is at best neutral, slavery is a big deal, it has some effects on spells- but your GM may beg to differ.

DON'T TRUST THE FUCKING ELVES.

Also: Dwarfs have the focus mechanism, that works neat to support your goals (as long as you do not fuck up and become a banshee) but are also COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from normal fantasy bearded axe-bearing foocks.

Metal is increadibly scarce, pay attention to every piece.

Don't fret up is you die A LOT. You start at higher level anyway, so you won't die that much if not from dehydration/ pickng a fight you can't win/ going out in the desert without a group of other traveller-NPCs (most destinations will have caravans that will accept a hired sword cheaply as long as you carry your own water).

And have fun, it's really the most conanesque setting D&D ever had. It will be fun, even if FUN.

At work, do not have time to wirte more.

PS. PSIONICS, MAN.
>>
Pity Bump
>>
File: 20882013.jpg (26KB, 622x480px) Image search: [Google]
20882013.jpg
26KB, 622x480px
>>55133617
>estetics
>>
>>55132736
Rampant cannibalism, state-enforced slavery, a parched throat, goddamn wizards and the most refreshing glass of water in 24 hours
>>
>>55132736
> What should I expect?
If your DM plays it right? To die.

>What should I exploit?
If your DM plays it right? All the water and life you can.
>>
>>55134143
>>55133617
As a final addendum to what these guys are saying, let me mention the treasure trove below your feet.

If your characters ever get to the point where they can afford their own fort / furnished cave dwellings, go look under the sand. The Remnants of the old war are everywhere, as well as other interesting stuff.

Our Cleric for example found what must've been a beach, including giant seashells that he then fashioned into armor.
>>
>>55132736
It's fucking great, but expected to be a tough and everything in the world to kill you.
>>
>>55134179
Get this man a sandwich, stat!
>>
File: IMG_1979.jpg (210KB, 1600x544px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1979.jpg
210KB, 1600x544px
Your current, non darksun party is dropped into Athas with non of the setting consequences restricting you.

What happens?
>>
>>55137369
>Ravenloft troupe
50/50 chance of survival. On one hand they are well versed in thinking outside of the box and surviving by any means necessary, on the other hand they never had much trouble with water or shade before.

If they can find a city before dehydration kicks in, they should be fine for a while.
>>
>>55132736
A world of scarcity. Metal is extremely rare, magic is frowned upon unless you are the strongest, nature is nearly gone, the gods are silent, and psionics can be trained at schools. Water is more valuable than blood, the sun itself can kill you if you're not careful, water vampires, insect people, half-dwarven slaves, half-giant raiders. It's a dangerous and selfish place.
>>
Changelings are feral. They attack Elves on sight.

The Thri'Keen do not sleep.

The people say "metal is extremely rare" ITT aren't joking, the treasure table starts giving steel weapons before it gives magical ones. Metal weapons basically qualify as the equivalent of +1 weapons from other settings.
>>
>>55137369
I guess I'd wonder how the two clerics would keep going.
>>
File: DarkSunRevisedCampaignCover.jpg (17KB, 210x265px) Image search: [Google]
DarkSunRevisedCampaignCover.jpg
17KB, 210x265px
> tfw the first Dark Sun set I get the chance to buy (pic related) does not have the absolutely BASED Brom artwork

Is Revised and Expanded Dark Sun at least a quality purchase besides the art?
>>
>>55132736
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GIiOsuDRFk
>>
>>55133617
>a general
Why the fuck should it have a general anyway? Generals are shit. Better to have a thread periodically.
>>
>>55137369
>of a race that consumes only rocks and lives underground
>but has external gills so probably not good with deserts
Hm. If I can get deep, it could be okay, but probably it's only going to work out okay if I get away from civilization and use earth magic to burrow all the way down to aquifer.
>>
File: 1357666790142.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1357666790142.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
>>55132736
>>55133617
FUCK YEAH! DARK SUN! I don't have anything to really add as I can never find anyone into the setting and havent played in years, so i'll just dump my inspo folder of organic and stone weapons/armour.
>>
File: Boar tusk helmet.jpg (172KB, 476x776px) Image search: [Google]
Boar tusk helmet.jpg
172KB, 476x776px
>>55145641
>>55145641
>>
File: 1349966369198.jpg (39KB, 506x700px) Image search: [Google]
1349966369198.jpg
39KB, 506x700px
>>55145661
>>
File: Whale baleen cuirias.jpg (71KB, 342x640px) Image search: [Google]
Whale baleen cuirias.jpg
71KB, 342x640px
>>55145685
>>
>>55145641
I also can't find anyone who's willing to play it, especially offline. What system would you use?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.