[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pathfinder side character

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: RuneMageMale.jpg (54KB, 520x900px) Image search: [Google]
RuneMageMale.jpg
54KB, 520x900px
So I've been invited to play in a Pathfinder adventure path with a bunch of relatively new players and a new DM. It's been a while since I've played Pathfinder but I've been playing RPGs for about 15 years now. The group is fairly big and well balanced and since they are all new I'd rather like to stay as far from center stage as possible. Was hoping you elegan/tg/entalmen would have a good suggestion for a character that wouldn't be a liability but could play a minor flavorful support to some new players.
>>
File: The Healer Experience.png (735KB, 2000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
The Healer Experience.png
735KB, 2000x1600px
>>55132570
Can't go wrong with Healsut Cleric or support Bard DESU.
>>
I was considering those options and haven't tossed out the idea of bard. Just worried about putting too much pressure on a new DM. Thought about skill centric investigator filling out a face or knowledge role. Cause a heal bot or bard with good bonuses could make most combats super easy with a DM unfamiliar with making encounters a bit harder.
>>
>>55132697
To be fair, combats should always be easy if the party is playing smart and not rushing into suicidal situations. If players put time and effort into making a character, they should be allowed to enjoy that character, rather than being thrown into the meat-grinder death parade right away.
>>
>>55132722
Agreed but the group has a healer and such. And they should be more then capable to handle anything thrown at them if they plan. But I feel like if I rolled up another good combat support character they could even get away with running in all suicidal without issue, and I feel like that takes away from the experience somewhat. When nothing's really at stake what's the point? I was just kinda hoping for maybe clever fun to play ideas for characters that could help in small ways. Kinda like a group side kick.
>>
File: 1503514732715.png (575KB, 620x823px) Image search: [Google]
1503514732715.png
575KB, 620x823px
>>55132788
The Witch class has some cool support/control magic while shying away from actual blasty spells, and it's low hit dice gives you a fair reason to stay out of combat... although I suppose a wizard kinda does the same thing.
>>
>>55132813
Didn't think about that. Could definitely be fun and has lots of room for flavor.
>>
>>55132697
Investment in mundane skills is almost never worth it in Pathfinder. Anything you can do with a mundane skill can usually be done much better with a spell, usually of level 3 or below. You could be a level 10 Rogue or Investigator with +30 stealth, or a level 5 wizard with vanish and +40 to stealth from that.

"Face" skills are kind of bad for a different reason. If one person has them, they kinda set the bell curve for everyone. I find it's more fun if EVERYONE is able to make convincing in-character arguments and such, based on how they roleplay. For a time I actually ran games without using Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidation as skills and just left it all to roleplaying.
>>
>>55132697
If your looking to stay off center stage you might want to avoid being the party face. dose the group have a rogue? good guy rouges can be fun side characters with useful utilities to offer up. playing a thief who doesnt just fuck over the party might also be a good way to let the new players know that characters can have depth beyond just their class.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.