[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dungeon making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

I'm currently building a dungeon from the scratch for my players next adventure, but I've run into a bit of a wall. How do you make dungeons more than a series of battles? Do you put something in every single room? Do they need a treasure if they go into some alternative path? How many traps are too many? How do you make the encounter rooms better than just an empty square room with enemies and maybe some furniture?

How do you make dungeons /tg/?
>>
You do not need something in every room.

Put in details that make the place feel lived in (chairs, webs, dripping water)

Have a variety of encounters. Fights, chasms, puzzles
>>
>>55132508
>chasms
Best encounter. There's nothing better than seeing how your party handles something as simple as getting over a large hole.
>>
>>55131852
You myst fighre out what your dungeon is.
1. What was it originally made for? Ancient temple? Wizarding lab? Kobold settlement? Natural set of caves once inhabited by ancient tribe?
2. Why is it abandoned? Is it inhabited by anyone now? How did new settlers change it or what went wrong with the facility as it aged?
3, What traps, puzzles, machinery, monsters, treasures can wait for them there? It's not always gold and jewels, and artefacts.
>>
>>55133339
This.

Natural or otherwise environmental hazards can add a lot to both dungeons and outdoor scenarios.

Rivers, chasms, fog, blizzard, temperature... All can be interesting. The stereotypical "lava cave" becomes much more deadly when toxic fumes and extreme heat kill faster than the actual lava monsters.
>>
>>55131852
Which way do the stairs face? Smaller is top? That makes the one in the middle of the map from the lake going down confusing
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-30-09-36-20.png (511KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-30-09-36-20.png
511KB, 720x1280px
>>55135447
Those steps lead down to the lake. And you can swim over to the next room. The stairs on the left side are a clue to this as is the waterfall that falls into the lake.

Also pic is screencap of this posts captcha lol
>>
I've only ever made one dungeon and it was a series of extradimensional bubbles linked by one-way doors.

Frees you right up. First floor was a murder mystery in a goblin bakery. Second floor is an endless expanse of white where only The Path isn't stalked by invisible terrors. Third floor is a sprawling city in a cavern dominated by the warring mage's guild and the assassin's coven over the door to the next level.

Puzzles suck though, don't try to be Skyrim.
>>
>>55135527
Exactly so in the middle, why are the smaller steps (which is up according to left side) facing towards the lake which should be lower
>>
>>55135546
But what if I want to make the players go underneath an evel chapel to find an entrance to an underground tower where a village of a mysterious evil race once lived and an evil mage cultist is going to sacrifice children to revive an evil entity with the stats of a Mummy Lord?
>>
What tools does /tg/ use to create maps for online use? Any recommendations?
>>
Don't worry too much about realism.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.