[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any GMs use ambient sounds or music in your sessions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 11648186.png (41KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
11648186.png
41KB, 240x240px
I was wondering if it's worth incorporating ambient sound or music into my sessions, in your experience does either help with atmosphere or is it more of a detraction? Is ambient sound better as music is too distracting?
>>
>>55123260
Yes, I do. It really adds a level of atmosphere to the game.
>>
>>55123324
Where do you go to get some good ones? Bonus points if web based or on an app since I don't like having a laptop at the table.
>>
My groups typically use tons of music in our sessions.

The routine is that the GM comes with a lot of music prepared, and by scene chooses one track of his list and puts it on repeat, until a change of the situation merits a change of the track.

Tracks are typically chosen for sustaining a certain atmosphere without having extreme changes of mood, crescendos, and so forth. Tracks without vocals are also usually preferred, even though there are a lot of exceptions to this.
>>
>>55123348
Roll20 has a small selection, but if you're playing in person your best bet is to just set up an ipod to some speakers
>>
>>55123348
You could use Spotify, although without a paid account you might run into trouble with your bandwith. You could also just put all the music on your phone, and prepare a playlist with the program of your choice. Having repeat is SUPER helpful.
>>
>>55123390
Uhh, without a paid account you will get ADS. The bandwith might be a problem wither way.
>>
My GM constantly uses distracting and inappropriate music that demolishes immersion.
In a jungle? Donkey Kong theme. Fighting undead? Spooky scary skeletons.
It's just one unfunny meme after another.

I say this not just to complaint to inform anons that you should really ask your party before adding music and sound to your game.
>>
tabletopaudio.com
yt playlists
>>
>>55123351
following up do you prefer music or ambient noise?
>>
Most fondly remembered track of the last 1/2 year:

Players are a group of Vampires meeting back in London after 100 years of parted ways (we played both time lines with flashbacks). Investigation leads the group to a biker bar. After veiledly threatening one of the bikers about wanting to speak to his superiors, he shouts into the bar: "Ey, there's 3 dudes looking for trouble with the Main Man out here!" GM grins and switches to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4uQ57OUpZ4
And a rain of shards comes down as the Werewolf leading the gang jumps onto the street from an upper floor.
>>
>>55123474
We typically use music, good movie or game music is also much easier to come by than good ambient noise I assume.
>>
>>55123433
Also what is considered appropriate should be obvious. Attempting to kill the mood or piss people off will in fact kill the mood or piss people off. Yet some people pretend they don't understand this.

And don't get me started on "Just wait, it picks up" music choices. That is what you do for music you enjoy for music's sake. If you're setting a mood and the music is the wrong mood for half or more of the song than it's the wrong damned music.
>>
>>55123589
Let me add: This is mainly because finding music is trivial and I'd have no idea where to look for ambient noise. The closest I got to ambient was using Lustmord for Cthulhu stuff, I think Lustmord is Ambient...music? Anyway, if you can tell me sources for ambient sounds, it'd be much appreciated. Or would you go and cut them together yourself, or soundboard them? I'm not good enough with sound editing or sourcing that I'd do such a thing to be honest.
>>
>>55123454
Thanks, using tabletop audio
>>
>>55123739
Tabletop audio also has a bunch of soundboards too
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.