[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you make a Monster Hunter-like game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: monster-hunter-4-ultimate-topper.jpg (677KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
monster-hunter-4-ultimate-topper.jpg
677KB, 1920x1080px
How would you make a Monster Hunter-like game?
>>
>>55118557
Have separate set of attributes for gear.
>>
File: mh.jpg (9KB, 320x157px) Image search: [Google]
mh.jpg
9KB, 320x157px
>>55119066
this
a friend of mine tried to get his hand on this
each armor set have a def value, plus bonus/malus to the various elements. weapons have attack value, elements plus edge
the stat are classic, we are using a d100 system
i don't know how he roll for the monsters, but they do their special attacks based on dice rolling
lot of shenanigans with the hunter guild, and various obscure groups

for the Monster Hunter universe, he managed to get a surprisingly high amount of lore and build a coherent world with oversized weapons, dragons, and cats
also dwarves, didn't knew there were some in monster hunter
>>
>>55118557
Many baroque hit locations on the monsters are a must.
>>
>>55118557
I'd run it fast and loose, more narrative than anything. Using a system with lots of mechanics just seems like it'd bog down the feel of the whole thing.
>>
>>55120569
What system would you use, then?
>>
>open d6
but really maybe something like Aces & Eights
>>
>>55118557
Have 8 or so sessions thats nothing but nature checks, 1 hp mooks and enemies that 1 shot all of you. During that time come up with charts for size, location, damage modifiers and durability of parts on the monster. Have players choose where they are attacking and a stat that lowers deviation from that spot (i aim for left side of the wing, 1d6 where 3-4 is the spot, 1-2 is to the left/down, 5-6 is to the right/up). You could use larger or smaller dice based on accuracy or move this into an affinity mechanic (1d20, lower is left, higher is right based on affinity. Outside a certain range is a miss, inside is a crit for an extra roll based on weapon) Idont think tabletops lend well to grinding out rath rubies so gear drops may need to be homebrewed away from the MH norm.
>>
>>55120585
I dunno. Maybe FATE or Wushu or something.
>>
>>55120669
That sounds crap
>>
>>55118557
I would just play regular d&d and add monster loot
>>
>>55119236
They show up in 4/4U, though they're fairly tall for dwarves. Still wide as hell, bearded, standard dwarf stuff other than not being overly short.
They help you make a boat and then an airship for the singleplayer storymode
>>
File: whoa.jpg (20KB, 229x211px) Image search: [Google]
whoa.jpg
20KB, 229x211px
>>55120669
That sounds good. I like the "deviation" idea, using the roll # to determine how much/where your strike deviates.

I can see this kind of combat taking forever though I suppose that's the whole point of a Monster Hunter game.
>>
>>55118557

Hack Mouseguard.
I'm trying
>>
>>55122877
Low numbers and fixed damage will make a huge difference. If you swing a sword at a huge bitch, you're going to fucking hit it. You might not hit it exactly where you want to but you're going to hit it.

I can see monster sheets showing a grid of the monster's basic shape. I wouldn't use a d6 though. Different weapons could have different die and deviance patterns, like a spear having a d10 and doing damage in a square numbered like a keypad.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.