[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys like psionics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_0370.jpg (93KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0370.jpg
93KB, 480x640px
Do you guys like psionics?
>>
File: psionics.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
psionics.png
279KB, 898x790px
>>55115360
I like psionics in certain settings.

DnD, or typical "swords and magic" fantasy isn't one of them, unless there's really solid lore behind it like in Dark Sun. The fact that Mystic is a thing in regular DnD 5e kinda bothers me a little because it feels so different and out-of-place compared to the other classes... and because people use them as the "create-an-anime-character class.

As much as I hate to admit it though, their "magic" system is 100 times better than the Vancian system sacred-cow garbage all the other casters still use. But I still rather all those other casters use it and Mystic/Psionic not even be a thing.
>>
File: 1499439705431.gif (2MB, 271x303px) Image search: [Google]
1499439705431.gif
2MB, 271x303px
>>55115360
I refuse to run them in any of my 40k armies and I have no idea why, considering I play imperials, chaos, and xenos. I usually pick groups that hate them to base my forces off of as well.

I dunno, there's something oddly satisfying about watching someone casting crazy ass warp magic imbued with the power of hell get dropped by some chump guardsman with a lasgun.

I guess I just really love watching those smarmy pysker spammers from 7th get their asses kicked by the best spell of all, gun.
>>
File: latest.jpg (15KB, 290x200px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
15KB, 290x200px
I like the idea of someone dropping humanity for something only slightly powerful albiet infinitely more fun.

It's also an underappreciated life. There really needs to he a system in place just for psykers/psionics. Having literal nightmare monsters appear to fuck shit up, you looking like a hellraiser cyborg.

Very underappreciated. All for the right reasons. He'll even I didn't really care about them but now I have an appreciation for their body gore aesthetic
>>
I like it as a concept, but it's kind of thematically/tonally all over the place. I've seen cosmic horror, New age mysticism, pulpy retrofuturism, and a bunch of other takes on psionics. It's basically just a catch all term for mind powers that aren't magic (except when they are), so its hard to say
>>
>>55115360
Yes and no. I like when it is used like an ambient hazard like the noosphere in Stalker games, but I despise it when it's just an excuse to have magic in science fiction.
>>
>>55115360
>hard sci-fi setting
>NPC recently picked up seemingly has mind control
>players are confused, one character even starts wearing a tinfoil hat
>NPC is in fact bio-engineered to excrete powerful pheromones

The funniest part is that the clues are all there (unknown shit in the air filtration system, ship computer detecting biohazard, characters in environmentally sealed space suits being immune to "mind control", medical checkup revealing weird-ass extra glands in NPC's body), but the players are still obvious. To the point where the scientist and the engineer united their powers to create an anti-psionic helmet that I think will kill somebody at one point.
>>
File: 1437022955369.jpg (139KB, 478x810px) Image search: [Google]
1437022955369.jpg
139KB, 478x810px
>>55115360
I LOVE PSIONICS.

I love it in Sci-fi, I love it in fantasy. It's just the bees knees to me.

Erudite, and especially Convert Spell to Power Erudite, is my favorite class of all time(Psychic mage comes next).

One theme that I like to explore is the addition of components like somatic and verbal being a way of manipulating the energy that would just physically act on a very materialistic environment in a "simple", scientific and physical way, to become magic, which is affecting it on a very complex symbolic, sympathetic way.

My absolute fave.
>>
I like psionics when done like the BG and Mentats. The tools (powers) are not necissarily that powerful (at least compared to fantasy magic) but knowimg how to use them makes all the difference
>>
meh
>>
File: psions.jpg (26KB, 674x287px) Image search: [Google]
psions.jpg
26KB, 674x287px
>>55115360
>>
File: angry-drill-sergeant.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
angry-drill-sergeant.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
>>55120308
>is the addition of components like somatic and verbal being a way of manipulating the energy
Somehow I read it as verbal abuse. Idea of magic users manipulating the energy like drill sergeants is very amusing. "Show me your warpface!"
>>
File: Only_War_psykers.jpg (246KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Only_War_psykers.jpg
246KB, 720x1080px
>>
>>55115360
Yes. They worked very well in Joe Dever's Lone Wolf gamebooks, which was some of the earliest fantasy I ever read, so I've always thought of psionics as being a part of fantasy.
>>
>>55115360

Don't just refluff wizard spells and i love them

Or make them weaker then wizards
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.