[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like the idea of tactical team games, but a lot of them are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 118a2ddee3054a9def23997b2bfaac19.png (666KB, 2443x1367px) Image search: [Google]
118a2ddee3054a9def23997b2bfaac19.png
666KB, 2443x1367px
I like the idea of tactical team games, but a lot of them are either hard to get in to or are very expensive.

I was thinking about making a game like "watered-down" Kingdom Death, meets Final Fantasy Tactics.

Something where four players can choose what class and subclass they want to play as, then battle monsters, earn treasure for slaying them and gradually power up.

If I were to make such a game, where would be a good place to start? I want to make something that can be played by printing out a PDF, writing characters in index cards, and keeping a deck of cards for the monsters you'll fight.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
>>
Dungeons and Dragons 4e
>>
>>55112088
This is unironically the best answer. Just make players have more than one character and have fun.
>>
>>55112088
This is a good starting point, actually. I might just build off 4e as a base and work until it's not recognizable.

>Simplify character sheets to make them just a bare-bones stat block.
>Build a deck of possible actions for monsters. Then build a "treasure" deck.
>Create a few class cards that have primary and secondary abilities. "Warrior" instead of Fighter, and "Black Mage" instead of warlock.
>Last, fiddle with the math, then reapply dice so that the game can be played with d6 if I want to.

Tah-dah! You have Dungeon Fantasy: Tactics!
>>
>>55112538
Sounds like you have some cool ideas, anon.
>>
SeeD if you're not married to a grid but still would like robust mechanics.
>>
File: 1503120489485.png (63KB, 403x414px) Image search: [Google]
1503120489485.png
63KB, 403x414px
>>55112538
These ideas
>>
I've heard strike does something like this, but I've also heard that it's a meme that's shilled by retards. I dig the 4e idea though. I thought about trying some Fire Emblem thing in that, but it's a little too complicated for what I wanted.
>>
File: classes.png (2MB, 3360x2512px) Image search: [Google]
classes.png
2MB, 3360x2512px
>>55111985
Strike! is a simplified 4e.

Give it a look.

>>55112538
>Simplify character sheets to make them just a bare-bones stat block.

You don't even have stats beyond HP and move speed, you only got powers and passive boosts (which still deal with things like precision, damage and defenses).

>Build a deck of possible actions for monsters.
It uses the 4e layout, so sure, easy to convert to a deck.

>Then build a "treasure" deck.
The "Monster Hunter" books isn't out yet sadly, but you can improvise.

>Create a few class cards that have primary and secondary abilities. "Warrior" instead of Fighter, and "Black Mage" instead of warlock.

It's using a class/role split, role giving you your primary boosts and class giving you your active abilities (class can be replaced with a "simplified" version if that's what you are going for, which only has passives).

>Last, fiddle with the math, then reapply dice so that the game can be played with d6 if I want to.

It's d6 based.

>>55115774
It gets a bad rep because the first half of the book is kinda garbo, and most people don't get to the second half (which is where the combat is).

I think, anyway. It's a pretty good game, otherwise.
>>
>>55112538
So, how do you make Orlando in this system, I need it for a boss.
>>
>>55118509
>Copy the tankiness and speed of the Hero unit.
>Grab 2 of the 3 abilities from every speshul snowflake Knight class.
>equip excalibur
done
>>
File: champion.png (27KB, 300x283px) Image search: [Google]
champion.png
27KB, 300x283px
>>55118509
Well, taking a look at Orlando he has access to:
Holy/Divine/Fell knight and Iaido.

Taking account of what these do:
Holy gives status effects and has some melee AoE.
Divine breaks equipment
Fell Drains HP and heals self
Iaido buffs self

So, you can justify him doing just about anything, as long as it's melee focused.

Sounds like he'd be a Champion tier enemy, which means he gets all of pic related.

Keeping all that in mind, I'd do it as follows:

Thunder God Swordplay:
Any enemy hit by your attacks is automatically marked until the beginning of his next turn (Marked enemies provoke an opportunity when they attack a different target or try to shift while adjacent).

Thunder God Footwork:
You can Shift half your speed as a move action. You can shift 1 square when standing up from prone.

At-Will attacks:
Thunder God Strike (3 dmg)
"Orlando uses one of his innumerable sword techniques"
Special: Choose one of the following effects before making the attack roll
- deal 2 extra damage, heal 2 HP
- break an equipment the target is wielding
- target is slowed and weakened (save ends)
- gain +2 speed and attacks against you are made with disadvantage until the beginning of your next turn with the same initiative.
- no effect, but attack is melee blast 1
- no effect, but attack has range 5 (10 if doubled)
(you can roll a d6 at the beginning of turn to decide which one he'll use)

Encounter free actions:
Thunder God Flash
Effect: Select an adjacent target. If the target is still adjacent to you at the beginning of your next turn, you may make a free Thunder God Strike against him.
Recharge: 5-6

At-Will reactions:
Counter tackle
Trigger: You are hit by a melee attack, or an adjacent enemy provokes an opportunity
Effect: The target is pushed 3 squares or knocked prone.

Stop Holding Back
Trigger: You take damage and your HP is below half your maximum.
Effect: Next time you use Thunder God Strike, you can pick twice from the list.
>>
>>55119463
>Any enemy hit by your attacks is automatically marked until the beginning of YOUR next turn

stupid mistake to make...
>>
>>55111985
I want more of this
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.