/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone explain MTG priority to me in simple terms?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Lisa's_Nightmareopaw.jpg (27KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Lisa's_Nightmareopaw.jpg
27KB, 512x384px
Can anyone explain MTG priority to me in simple terms?
>>
>>55105662
Interupt > Instant > Sorcery

For example if you cast a Sword to Plowshares (an Instant) on your Shivan Dragon to heal yourself then your opponent can prevent it by killing it with a Blue Elemental Blast (an Interupt) first. Even if you have a second Sword to Plowshares on your hand you will not be able to use it before your dragon gets killed by the elemental blast.
>>
>>55105662
yes
>>
>>55105825
I don't even understand how you can have this particular understanding of the rules
Any time you cast a spell, activate an ability or go to change phase you have to give your opponent an opportunity to respond (passing priority) unless an effect says otherwise (split second)
There is no such thing as an "interrupt" anymore
Blue elemental blast is an instant and unless stated otherwise all abilities can be activated at "instant speed". Which means, when you have priority
You can absolutely cast swords to plowshares in response to a blue elemental blast
>>
>>55105662
First in, last out. You can make a literal stack of cards with the first played on the bottom and the last on top. That's the resolve order.
>>
>>55105662
Imagine an arrow over the player whose turn is occuring. That player wants to change phase, cast a spell or activate an ability that is not a mana ability. Either way, they take that arrow and pass it on to whoever is next.
>Changing phase
Each other player, in turn order, may activate an ability or cast an instant spell. This would trigger the next section. Otherwise, if they do not wish to do anything, they pass the arrow to the next player. Once the arrow has returned to the player whose turn it is, the phase changes.

>Casting a spell or activating an ability
The spell/ability goes on the stack. The player may retain priority and do another thing at instant speed. Otherwise, in turn order, the player who controls the spell/ability passes that arrow to the next player. That player may either use and instant speed ability/spell or they may pass the arrow to the next person. Once the original caster has the arrow again, the spell is cast.

Its very easy to understand if you pass a physical object with priority.
>>
OP asked about priority, not how the stack works. I presume he meant how and when priority gets passed back and forth between phases and steps.

Also you're asking a rules question on 4chan so good fucking luck
>>
>>55105825
Fuck off with your misrepresented rules and cryptic bullshit examples.

>>55105662
Active player has the priority to do the action first and keep the priority, until does no other actions, gives the priority to non active player who can, if he/she so chooses, to do an action as well. So the cycle repeats until the game is over.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.